1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:04 am UTC

Soup wrote:Haha, Pope! Decree: Bring "D'aww" Molpies! :D

http://upsidedowndogs.com/pet8961/everest-the-newfoundland/
Not mine, I get all my wolpies used, so never knew any of them when they were that small.

Here's what mine did yesterday
Spoiler:
001.JPG
Smallest Wolpy

002.JPG
Middle Sized Wolpy

003.JPG
Largest Wolpy

Edit: Continue previous decree!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 am UTC

Now I understand why they need I'm-not-a-bear vests
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:49 am UTC

HES wrote:Now I understand why they need I'm-not-a-bear vests

Indeed. This picture was taken at a different lake near here, last week.
We're being extra cautious, not for fear of the bear, but for fear of the fear of the bear.
We saw two deerpies on our way home last night. (And a meowply, riding in the car next to us.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

mscha

Time Revisited - np2457

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

SNIPUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECOME AN SPARROW-RAPTOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

Eternal Density

GLR IS THE DOOM BANANA OF THE CUPCAKES

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:17 pm UTC

I don't really have anything to say, except that I'm a victim of crime. I'm here to complain that my heirloom belt and suspenders has been stolen by the League of Door to Door Salesmen.

Yes, that was randomly generated. It's part of a little project I'm kinda involved in for a different fandom.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:22 pm UTC

Bunny, don't you trust CuegONG?
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Edit 2 1/2 hours later: And back to hatted Mars with brainslugs.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Edit 2 1/2 hours later: And back to hatted Mars with brainslugs.
Don't think you snuck that one by. I was watching. :)

d'aw, mikrit! And wow ggh - lotsawingishcoloreds! Glad your recording was custard yappo!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

azule
Saved

BlindPost NP2004

Postby azule » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

Thanks, everymolp for a neat 2KNP+1 Celebration! I had the cake (it was for me too, right?) and sang the songs (sorry to your ears). No topless girls, though BlitzGirl did mention gifs mating (maybe she misspelled 'girls'). ;)

ZmSP - Lovely Time Odyssey.

slinches "miplenium" - What is this word? It looks like mip, but it must just be a unique way to say millenium, yes? (not a misspelling, eh?)

morobu - Maybe I'm not lost, but I am confused. When your story started I thought it was something about Japan, but there's a lot of Q04B, so I guess it's Q04B in Japan with OTTers. Now I'm thinking that there might even be tips for the hotdog, clues. Do I have this right?

mrob27 wrote:Of course, with over 64,000 mips and only 40,000 posts, that'd mean less than one post per mip :(
Not to make anything sadder, but the question becomes, at one post/mip is that sustainable? What is the slowest active thread on the fora (or beyond)? I haven't done any research but I think there's a cause for the continued activity of some threads, such as more AuthorComics or random thoughts. But those seems to be at least wiply. That's my guess for the slowest speed that the thread could go and survive, is at one post/wip.

Hey, thanks! ... Image ... A bit sour, but I guess that's the point ;)
Ah, a soda has saved you from my pickle punishment. Thwarted again! :P

ggh wrote:To me, the OTT is both parties. I'm here, enjoying the night with friends, and most of the time I'm drunk and topless.
Ah. But you gotta be playing topless D&D or something equally nerdy.
spoiler from ggh
Spoiler:
azule, please do not make an illustration of this.
Uh. But I wasn't going to! I hope that was a joshing. :P spoiler joke:
Spoiler:
Oh, but you were topless in that last pic. Didn't you notice?
Non-joke part: I actually did figure you might be topless for nursing.
Ack! Now ergman has the ggh spoiler in their sig. *runs away*

AluisioASG wrote:(Did I mention I've got my yearly dose of radiation earlier this week?)
Good luck, again! Plus, we get are radiation dose via SilentONGs. Yes, in bad taste joke.

moody7277 wrote:In the current revision, the sword guy has a gun he shoots at Indy before Indy shoots him.
See? Same character, even same revisionist history. hah.

TieSoul "(am I overdoing it? Ah well.)" - More like underdoing it. hah.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Some Ways to Time

ucim

Re: BlindPost NP2004

Postby ucim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:44 pm UTC

azule wrote:...Now I'm thinking that there might even be tips for the hotdog, clues...

Hotdog? These are Sacred Prayers!

&btw I'm very much enjoying the evolving story mrob!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1354

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

VONGUARDISMS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

1922, newpixbot.

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

Sorry for being away these last couple dips; I'm undergoing something I've last experienced when writing Unattainable.

mrob, I'm loving the story, despite being too lazy to figure out half of what you mention.

mikrit wrote:I hope you don't mind my asking a very, very personal question:
Spoiler:
Are you a woman?

Spoiler:
Ah man, if xe isn't…
Assertion failure (ggh#gender = `Female)

NoMouse wrote:
Tell me something about... about... about a book you're reading or have read recently.

Trying to read a couple chapters of Ancient, Strange, and Lovely once in a while. Dan Brown's Inferno comes next in the queue (as soon as I give up on the former). Last book I fully read (last year) was The Zodiac Paradox, which I brought from Boston. Finding the others over here has proved to be very difficult.
Oh, and I've reade the Intro to A Key into the Language of America (Native and Olde, I shall add) laste week. Puttuckqunnége; cotchikésu assamme.

macraw83 wrote:5fg? And where's the userscript?

5-figure group, or in my case, 5-letter group. I believe the location of the userscript was left as an exercise for the reader…

ggh wrote:The Unfolding of Language begins with a series of quotes: the first is a contemporary bemoaning the corruption of language and wishing we could return to the proper English of our grandfathers, the next is from someone from our grandfathers' age saying roughly the same thing, and so on and so on, all the way back to Cicero kvetching about what the kids were doing with Latin.

Doesn't this resemble an OtherComic? (Not necessarily on language; perhaps media.)

SBN wrote:sorry but my work day yesterday included a 5 hour meeting, and today has one that is scheduled to be eight hours.

I assume this isn't the kind of meeting where you can afford to do nothing.

ucim wrote:Image

Could that be the future foxmolpy? (I think it's too long for a meowlpy.)

Earthling on Mars wrote:Image

Hello, Garrett.

Crab wrote:
No no no no no no no that wasn't me wrote:ChronosDragon, how did your date-shaped thing go?

(perks up eyestalks) I actually didn't want to ask too soon. :) Did it turn out to be a pleasant shape?

Apparently he's not available for comment.

AwesUNGfu, ggh!

SBN wrote:Image

:shock: At first I thought that was LW.

Eternal Density wrote:Yes, that was randomly generated. It's part of a little project I'm kinda involved in for a different fandom.

That's a quite ugly URL. It could easily be made human-readable (something like googledrive.com/{username}/{path}). But no, they have to put a something-encoded identifier both in the path AND the domain…

azule wrote:gifs mating

Did you, by any chance, forgot a ‘ch’ in there?

From now on I'll refer to beheaded people as being top-less.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

azule
Saved

Beanish BlindPost

Postby azule » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:31 pm UTC

I have posted to the Beanish Language thread, with a userscript that displays Beanish using the Beanish font that I have made, here on the forum. The font is updated and can use those silly M32 letters to write in Beanish too. I will update the regular xkcd+Beanish font later. Check the post(s) out for more info. Plus, wait for it, for more info.

There is one newly updated word: ᘊᖊᣗᓄ ᒣᓄᐢᔭ. I believe this to be the correct word (which is hiding behind a bookshelf on m2901).

tresoldi

Re: Beanish BlindPost

Postby tresoldi » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:42 pm UTC

azule wrote:There is one newly updated word: ᘊᖊᣗᓄ ᒣᓄᐢᔭ. I believe this to be the correct word (which is hiding behind a bookshelf on m2901).

As usual, you seem to be right.

Yeah, I have been away, lot of things to do, yada yada yada... :wink:
My blog on Beanish: https://beanishlang.wordpress.com/
Beanish corpus on Github: https://github.com/tresoldi/beanish/blob/master/corpus.txt
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to send a private message or comment on my blog, I might miss it on the topics (particularly on the OTT ;))

mscha

Time Revisited - np2465

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

UNGELHARD...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH BUZZ OTC WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

AUTOMOME wrote:THEY SEE ME AZULIN, THEY HATIN
:azule: Your habit is a meme, azule! :lol:

Eternal Density wrote:Is Swedish different with an OTTish accent?
mikrit wrote:I've tried to understand this question, but failed. svenman and smolloy were learning Swedish, presumably with some accent, but they are basemented now, I'm afraid. HALLÅ? KAN NI HÖRA MIG DÄR NERE?
I think the question was meant to be silly. :P If you flex the meanings a little it sort of makes sense, with reference to the question of how to translate OTTer: how would written Swedish be read if it included OTTish words?
Does your question translate to something like ‘Hello? Is there anybody here?’

patzer wrote:(Also, my it's my birthyip newpage. Funny that there was a reference to me when I haven't posted for so long. Or even lurked. Still got to blitz NP1808-present. Will do sometime. Eventually. Just checking in, and this thread is still as crazy as ever )
Yay, another one! Happy Birthyippage, patzer! and watch out for that door in the basement with my signature on it... :oops:

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:Scientists misunderstood what the millennium bug was. In reality, it is a real and deadly virus that infects anybody who accesses a new page with an index of 2000 or greater (that's a thing, right?). There is no known cure. All those currently active on the OTT will become infected and die within a few days. Other occasional posters and basementees {*} will take a look to find out why everyone has suddenly stopped posting, and become infected themselves. Eventually in turn, more people go to investigate the cause until eventually everybody becomes infected. Thus Ends Humanity.
:shock: Actually, at the * point I inserted, the Mods will take a look and become infected. Without the Mods the Forum will devolve into a chaotic hellhole, and then the Trousers of Time diverge: down one leg the chaos on the Forum affects so many hundreds of nerds that it destabilizes the entire world. Global war breaks out; Thus ends Humanity. Down the other leg, the Forum quickly surpasses FourChan as an anarchist's playground. The nerds realize this, and without the Mods to control them they Take Over the World. They eliminate the millenium bug by wiping the numeral 2 from existence. The resulting binary bias becomes so entrenched that people forget how to perceive colors and the world changes to black and white (like it was back in the day.). Several thousand years from now the Straits of Gibraltar become blocked. Thus Begins Time.
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1355

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:30 pm UTC

PHARONGOSCOPE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

HES

Re: BlindPost NP2004

Postby HES » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

RiverishKetchup! I must have been Outside during the thread's busy period.

A new housemate turned up unexpectedly today. That was interesting.
azule wrote:BlitzGirl did mention gifs mating (maybe she misspelled 'girls'). ;)

That would just be sensible. In context, a misspelling it was not.
He/Him/His Image

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 pm UTC

How about writing it in Swinglish instead?

Like "Regular Ordinary Swedish Mealtime"
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Eternal Density

THIS NEEDLE-PULLED THING IS NOW ABOUT WOWTERFALLISH SQUIRPIE

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Is Swedish different with an OTTish accent?
mikrit wrote:I've tried to understand this question, but failed. svenman and smolloy were learning Swedish, presumably with some accent, but they are basemented now, I'm afraid. HALLÅ? KAN NI HÖRA MIG DÄR NERE?
I think the question was meant to be silly. :P If you flex the meanings a little it sort of makes sense, with reference to the question of how to translate OTTer: how would written Swedish be read if it included OTTish words?
Does your question translate to something like ‘Hello? Is there anybody here?’
The joke was a) we kinda have our own mangled version of Swedish here and b) OTTish is a play on 'Scottish'.
AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Yes, that was randomly generated. It's part of a little project I'm kinda involved in for a different fandom.

That's a quite ugly URL. It could easily be made human-readable (something like googledrive.com/{username}/{path}). But no, they have to put a something-encoded identifier both in the path AND the domain…
I didn't post a URL, so some readers may find your reply confusing.
Also, I don't remember you saying this back in the early days when Sandcastle Builder was located by a similar URL on googledrive.
azule wrote:Thanks, everymolp for a neat 2KNP+1 Celebration! I had the cake (it was for me too, right?) and sang the songs (sorry to your ears). No topless girls, though BlitzGirl did mention gifs mating (maybe she misspelled 'girls'). ;)

I don't think that's how mating actually works.
Not that I'd know.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

I dunno if anyone's familiar with the Rotary organisation - I don't know what they do myself, but my dad's a member of the local rotary club. Anyway, it's an international thing and every district has its own number. The number of our district (Lancashire and Cumbria)?

You can't make this stuff up.

OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Also, I don't remember you saying this back in the early days when Sandcastle Builder was located by a similar URL on googledrive.

I don't remember it having gibberish in the domain name.

(While I was in the shower, I wondered how many broken links I've left in my wake. I thought I could build an add-only file storage server, unstructured and with no filenames. The URLs would be hashes of the files' contents. So perhaps what I cringe at is mixing human-readable and -unreadable text. Which would explain why I see no problem in shortened URLs.)
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1356

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:30 am UTC

SNORTONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 am UTC

If I have this right... oldpixbot said I didn't. Maybe this one. Old one in spoiler.

ONGe Yip Old (np2470)
Happy Baby Birthday to my Baby Blue Baobabby! :P Yes, I am extremely silly.

Spoiler:
ONGe Yip Old (np2482)
Happy Baby Birthday to my Baby Blue Baobabby! :P Yes, I am extremely silly.
Last edited by azule on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 am UTC

I'm tired! but I found myself at the beach today, completely unplanned.
have a relatedish:
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Eternal Density

MY OTT JUST CRENELLATED ME; M*STARD WAS SO CASH

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:08 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I dunno if anyone's familiar with the Rotary organisation - I don't know what they do myself, but my dad's a member of the local rotary club. Anyway, it's an international thing and every district has its own number. The number of our district (Lancashire and Cumbria)?

You can't make this stuff up.

That's awesomeful!
Yeah we have Rotary here Down Under.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2471

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:10 am UTC

TOUGHENUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:CONSIDER THE CHUPAMOLPIES OF THE OTC

-- posted by oldpixbot

AluisioASG

Meanwhile, FastMail will have to do.

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:03 am UTC

Selecting new quote…

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1357

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 am UTC

PROLONGATE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Cloudy_the_Conqueror

Re: 1190: "Time."

Postby Cloudy_the_Conqueror » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
第十四章

Spoiler:
The pond is calm throughout the night, with the occasional croaks of toads and little quacks of the web-footed raptors. The hokora, a traveler's shrine (cantaining two bonsai and dedicated specifically to the little tree tile) gives its protection. Nevertheless, Morobu has unsettling dreams.
Around the mountain gather clouds, distinctly darker than the medium-gray of the mountain itself (which, following tradition, is always painted that way at this time of year by the robot painters of Fujisan). One web-footed raptor turns into a rabtor and jumps into a nearby rabbit-hole; the rest take flight and scatter in a most disorganized and un-Japanese fashion. There is a loud clap of thunder (but no rain) and out of the clouds comes a great flying robot, bigger and more brightly coloured than the Fujisan robots. The giant mecha-naut swoops down the slope, turns and lands with a crash right beside Morobu. Somehow in the process, the giant bot has diminished significantly in size and morphed into human form.
Timidly, Morobu looks at the visitor, who calls himself Cloudy_the_Conqueror. "I too am a pilgrim seeking to build my Searchfu, out of stone and positronic servo-actuators. Many wips ago I built Rosetta and tallied 1123872 points, and my newfound skill will let me turn this mountain into a massive シャトーイフ!"
Morobu tries to make sense of this, whilst Cloudy_the_Conqueror morphs once more, this time into a giant turtle. "Will you hold up this mountain on your back whilst transforming it into the Castle?" But there is no answer. The giant turtle rises, turns and begins shooting balls of fire out its mouth, towards an unseen dragon on the other side of Fuji, evident only from its trail of smoke and embers arcing around the east side of the mountain's peak.

So you summoned me, from the basement, at none other than the sacred NP2K. The Conqueror is back. (Did I mention that "conqueror" is a subtle cue to my real name?)
The school vacation started a wip ago, but I still have to do lots of homework, paticularly reading books and writing a report about it.

Oh, and I saw a redundaknight in real life:
Spoiler:
(No pictures, sorry.)

On the street, I saw two cats walking by, which one of them was holding a pigeon in its mouth as its prey. Given that birds are dinosaurs and dinosaurs are dragons...
Draglings' description wrote:These small timid creatures hide in the shadows and under leaves keeping out of the way of fierce cats.

I followed the one holding the pigeon and it ran into a hole. A bit later, it came out with remains of the pigeon on its mouth. I went back home after putting some of its feathers into my bag. Sadly, they're lost.

Some RELATEDness: Cueball and Megan. (See Gold, Silver, and Crystal section for the latter)

Note to mrob27: Chapter 15 was already written, but Chapter 14 (the one I quoted) hasn't been edited to include a link to the next chapter.

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1358

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 am UTC

TIMESERVONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:39 am UTC

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Some Ways to Time

HES

Re: Time After Time: t1i-1358

Postby HES » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:52 am UTC

mscha wrote:TIMESERVONGS.

What's she showing him? A worm?
He/Him/His Image

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1359

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

PALPITATONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

mrob27

DISREGARD THAT, I BLITZNAP NEWPICES

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

第十九章

(chapter 18)

Morobu wakes a bit early: the bamboo bed is mildly uncomfortable, and during the night he had twice almost fallen off the left edge. But he is adequately rested; after brief morning prayers, he packs up and leaves as soon as dawn permits, continuing his determined drive up-hill.
    Travel is difficult. A couple times the undergrowth opens up and Morobu can enjoy a gentle walk between the trunks of tall trees, but most of the time it's slow going. There are streams, though less cool than he had hoped, and while stopping to drink Morobu hears a squawk unlike any bird of the hills.
    He doesn't want to think, gull, but a tight feeling in his chest tells him it is so. Continuing uphill, some smooth boulders and odd bits of sandy ground punctuate the chaotic underbrush, briars and ever-present bamboo.
    In half a newpix Morobu emerges at last from all of this into the open, and his suspicions are confirmed: he has clearly arrived at a seashore, with a gray sandy beach leading in both directions, occasionally broken by steep rocks forming natural jetties. The mid-morning sun glints off a few waves, and sea-birds drift along the beach to Morobu's right.

azule wrote: morobu - Maybe I'm not lost, but I am confused. When your story started I thought it was something about Japan, but there's a lot of Q04B, so I guess it's Q04B in Japan with OTTers. Now I'm thinking that there might even be tips for the hotdog, clues. Do I have this right?

There are Q04B hints, but they're meant to be pretty obvious and are there just for humor value. For example in chapter 6 the ucim character (who is probably the Pope from the real @ucim's excellent Acts of the Clerics series), tells a story the moral of which is to "Remember the Chirpy and the Panther", which simply means that you shouldn't be afraid to use the Chirpy boost in Q04B (a boost that gives hints as to what your next move might be)
    The premise of the story is that my fictitious Japanese alter-ego, "Morobu", is in Japan searching for something called the Dojo of Searchfu, which is presumably some kind of school or martial arts academy where one goes to learn how to find things. The irony is that the Dojo itself is very hard to find, so you've pretty much graduated with high honours the moment you stumble upon the place. All of that comes from a little footnote I dashed off as a cute afterthought in a post just before I left on my own, real-world trip to Japan.
    Halfway through my trip I decided it would be a lot of fun to make a serial story for the OTT out of that premise. The story was outlined one day while waiting in a plaza in a real Japanese temple, and the first four chapters about half-written somewhere over the Pacific ocean during my return flight. Clearly, Morobu needs something to do whilst essentially wandering about in a nearly-aimless fashion, so I started throwing in Q04B-related stuff. Japan has a lot of its own unique types of religion, such as a lot of sects of Buddhism, so it made sense to put ucim's "prayers" (a concept he started in the early 20th century) into my story. So when they "pray", they're actually playing Q04B. Except it's fiction, so they don't need to have a phone or any other organized sand to pray.

ucim wrote: Hotdog? These are Sacred Prayers!

There ya go. Case in point. :D

The story also involves a lot of authentic Japanese stuff and references to my actual activities in Japan. The story is set in the part of Japan where I've spent all my time each of the three times I travelled there: Fujinomiya City, on the southwest slopes of the famous mountain.
    As you can see from the latest intallment Morobu is pretty confused right now, and doesn't understand what the sea is doing atop Mount Fuji. The stuff you've read up to now is simply getting him lost, so that he can gain some insight and make the story a bit more intricate. I have written another dozen chapters and outlined the entire rest of the story, plus the major plot-points of a sequel. I have a detailed map of the Fujinomiya district with lines showing where Morobu travels and encounters each of the major characters. I'll post, that plus a glossary once it's no longer a spoiler. I have not obsessively invented a language with its own alphabet, grammar and vocabulary, like J.R.R. Tolkien and Randall Munroe did, but Japanese has four alphabets and Yoda grammar so that's close enough :P I can say that I am obsessed enough that I now know a lot more about certain specific bits of Japan than I ever thought I would.

That's my guess for the slowest speed that the thread could go and survive, is at one post/wip.

There must be some threads where any postrate would make sense... since (by default) threads are sorted with the most-recently-posted at the top of the list, there's that rule that one shouldn't post unless one has something new and sufficiently important to contribute and which is related to that specific thread. Of course, this thread had a newpix every newpix for four mips, but long before that amount of time had gone by the refs Mod dem pretty much conceded to the notion that it was all RELATED and we'd always find a reason to say something new, newpix or no.
    Anyway, excluding FaiD where fair is foul and foul is fair, and obvious exceptions like Forum Games, the usual requirement is that you need to make a new thread, unless you're saying something squarely RELATED to an existing thread and also saying something new. Looking at News & Articles reveals some good examples: Syria Civil War Threatens to Spread has been going since when you'd expect, the fall of 2012. I am impressed by the fact that it remains unlocked, and wouldn't be at all surprised if it went well over a wip without something new to say. Another thread in the same forum is The Thread To Remind Me We're Living In The Future, where the rule seems to be you can post whenever you find an inspiring article about something futuristic that hasn't been mentioned before. I'm a little too :oops: by the latest article linked from that thread  :oops:  , but with 454 posts since April 2011, it could easily have been idle for a mip or two... let's see... yep, page 8: it was idle for almost three yips and justifiably re-awakened without a yellow card warning from Mod dem.

AluisioASG wrote: mrob, I'm loving the story, despite being too lazy to figure out half of what you mention.

Glad to hear it! (and from others I haven't quoted directly). I do try to repeat things a little bit every now and then, but I know it needs a coherent summary (which I'll post inside a spoiler-tag after most of the Chekhov's guns have fired).

Glad to see new work in the Beanish thread @azule!

@BlueCrab, I love your Trousers of Time (in my pants).

Eternal Density wrote: The joke was a) we kinda have our own mangled version of Swedish here and b) OTTish is a play on 'Scottish'.

Yeah, I got that — but which type of punctuation should we use if mixing OTTish and Swedish in the same sentence? :twisted:

Hi @Cloudy_the_Conqueror! Leave the basement door open a bit, they need a little fresh air and sunlight down there. Thanks for noticing the missing forward-link in chapter 14; fixed!

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go watch 22 grown men kick a ball around for 1 1/2 nopix... (It's odd loving a sport wherein a nil-nil draw is considered an admirable achievement...)

mrob27 Image

:oops:  CH*RPING TIME ACCESSORS? HOW DOES THAT WORK?

Edit: Add the bit at the end about Association Football.
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

AluisioASG

Go Switzerland!

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:It's odd loving a sport wherein a nil-nil draw is considered an admirable achievement...

Which sport would that be?
Selecting new quote…

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Nuclear war?
He/Him/His Image

AluisioASG

When I decide to look at the TV…

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

OTTMAR Hitzfield” ― Switzerland has OTTified itself!
Selecting new quote…

mscha

Time Revisited - np2485

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

CHUNGEFULNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THAT'S ONE RIVERISH TURTLEMOLPY FOR A PASTPAGE, ONE SEAISH TURTLEMOLPY FOR PASTPAGEKIND

-- posted by oldpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1360

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

TROUBLONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”