1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

BlindPost NP2014

Postby azule » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 am UTC

Oy, my baby fell and one of his teeth got knocked loose and he bled. We took him in to the ER (emergency room, but no dentist). They didn't look closely at it and just said it'll fall out or it won't... nothing about pain, nothing actually medical (just opinion). Sometimes our medical system here in America is extremely frustrating. He appears fine. I'm taking him in for dental tomorrow during business hours. I felt like venting, thanks. :P Of course, hearing others' opinion of their local medical services would be neat. Edit: that's (now) the papal decree.

HES wrote:
ergman wrote:Oh man, one page until then OTT catches up with the outside! The singularity is upon us!
Yes, but which post? How many fortieths are we through the year?
Hmm, I just realized that The Forty...and our 40 posts per page... coincidence?

SILENT DRIVE-ONG
That would be a kind of neat way to watch a movie.

lmjb "And I hope my post last night wasn't too blathery." - I don't know why y'all think this. I'm very certain that mine blow yours out of the water.

HES "If loling is :azule:, does that make LHBSSIAWing :lmjb:?" - That would appear to be correct.

freezeblade - I hope you enjoyed your 2014 420 break. [420 was xeir post count.]

bachaddict - Please post pics of your LEGO exhibit. And congrats on 50posts!

BlitzGirl "I can totally see you being the diaphragm of the OTT." - You're welcome (for unquote). Thanks (for quote). Maybe it's an odd request but I'd still like to see what people would pick for themselves (with explanation). Otherwise, I may be tempted to assign body parts to OTTers. :P (Don't worry, I won't assign anyone a penis.)

ergman "Chronocommemorate" - I believe that was a double dactyl. Well done, plus I love your sexisyllabic word. Do you like my pentasyllabic word? ;)

ergman - Your adventure art sounds very pleasant (to both the eye and to the cardiovascular system).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ChronosDragon

Re: PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH MEGBALL AFOREWHEN WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
ergman wrote:Imagine what a spectacle this would be in real life, in a scenario like the OTTscars for example. Two dragons singing to each other! A beautiful duet!
FUS RO DAH!

A shout, a serenade, a ballad. Words have different weights when measured against the melody. Each one has power, to be sure, but when words are wind, they knock you back while missing the heart. The precision point of a lonely requiem, however, pierces straight through.

ergman wrote:Imagine what a spectacle this would be in real life, in a scenario like the OTTscars for example. Two dragons singing to each other! A beautiful duet!

Somehow I feel that industrial techno forfeits the privilege of the adjective "beautiful" in favor of more striking terms.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2666

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:10 am UTC

REVUNGES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN B4 AWEFULSOME MYSTERYONG

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:35 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I thought the bolded part went without saying.
Perhaps here in OTTdom, but the real world is replete with "we'll make money off ('personalized') advertising" sites. If you're not the customer, you're the product.

azule wrote:(Don't worry, I won't assign anyone a penis.)
Maybe the penis should rotate based on post count.

re: Panther salve
Spoiler:
Dunno about dentistry, but here we have an emergency room of a hospital, open round the clock, with excellent (expensive!) care. But if you don't have the kind of emergency that requires an actual hospital (i.e. just a few stitches, or a bee sting near the throat), there is "Urgent Care". Open until 8 pm. Open Riverdix and Seadix until 5 pm. So, schedule your emergencies. They have been completely useless to us. And if you walk in with anything that's actually urgent, they just call 911 and send you to the hospital anyway (after billing you).

It is pretty much impossible to find out how much a procedure will cost. Somthing typical for a covered item is "doctor charged $450, insurance allows $75 (which doctor accepts per contract), $insurance pays $62, you pay $13. The same item if not covered is "Doctor charged $450. Pay it."

And if you have symptoms that are suggestive of a heart attack, you get to choose between dying of a heart attack, or paying $10,000 for heartburn. Good insurance pays for most of this, if the doctor codes it appropriately. If the doctor makes an "unfortunate" choice, it's very hard to get that changed.

I had a routine colonoscopy (completely covered by insurance from the first dollar), but the doctor required an office visit first. Insurance would not pay that because it wasn't a colonoscopy, even though it was a required part of the procedure.

So, it's really a lottery.
BlueCrab wrote:Jose, those brackets were part of a standard list-notation format.
... and (some of) my parens were part of smilies. Does that give them a pass? It's the code/data conundrum.

Watermolpybison? Is that a cross between a bull and a watermelon? Enjoyed the song though. Silly1!.

While praying, the Boost of the First Commandment displayed the frames of the castle, which were (of course) dark. After doing that for a while, the Third Commandment came to be, and all of a sudden it was bright again; this surprisingly had quite a spiritual impact. It really felt like enlightenment!

ggh - Wow - got a video of that hoverboard? Or of the wipeout that inevitably happened?[/color]

Molpish rhapsody Aluisio and ChronosDragon!

1Just what it says on the tin.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ChronosDragon

BRACE YOURSELVES, FLUTTERBEE IS COMING

Postby ChronosDragon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:56 am UTC

New AuthorComic. Quite OTTifiable, just replace player names with OTTers. Or OTT characters. Or brightly colored foods.

AluisioASG

Re: I just don't know anymore

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:06 am UTC

Story-related self-diagnostic:
Spoiler:
I did something I shouldn't.
You went there, didn't you? Even after I warned you'd return with doubt in your mind.
Yes, I did. I've ventured into the Past. Not looked, went. And I lost myself in it.
Always the same mistake. Again and again. You've looked at the abyss. Now it's looked back into you.
I became so tempted… I was writing about Margrit… getting to know who she was—
But that isn't why you were enjoying it.
I think… by the point I chose in the timeline, I'd be somewhere in there as well. I'd have been part of the story—
And you know what happens next. Inexorably. Inevitably.
I derail the story. On purpose. Somehow.
How?
I questioned her reasons. Her methods. Her design. I questioned her very existence, in a way.
These are things you don't have the answers for. Should you have? Does it matter?
Those answers… they are irrelevant to the period I'm aiming for. I don't need them.
Exactly. They are details. You don't need to know how or why things happened. Just that they happened.
But I need—
You need to know who she is, so you can determine how she acts, reacts and interacts. So you can predict her. But you don't need to touch her for that. You just need to look. You do, though, determine when she touches you. But for that you need to look. It's sufficient and necessary for you to look. There's nothing about you touching her here.
:azule:
Now, one last thing: you're giving her disproportionate attention. I think we both know why. But you need the others as well. You need to be able to predict everyone's thoughts and actions.
I… I know what they want. I don't know how they'd achieve it. I need to work on that.
But you already know how to get that info. You've written about it.
Their dreams. And their fears.
Do you remember that easter egg?
:) I do.
So go and find your path to that stage. But not now. Tomorrow. Now you need sleep.

Crab wrote:I am glad to hear that you feel positively about your datemorphic encounter.

Datemorphisms, anthropomorphism, isomorphisms, glyphs…

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm intrigued by your new avatar, by the way.

I stole it from HE'S SilentTimer.

HES wrote:This Hamply needs a new avatar.

Why so?

ggh wrote:The yip is 2015. These exist:
Spoiler:

Had I been the Pope, I'd have made this the BTTOTC newpage.

ChronosDragon wrote:I don't think I have the legal authority give consent on behalf of as-of-yet unborn progeny. You'll have to run ahead a bit and ask her yourself.

Um, that may be kind of complicated. She seems a bit traumatized. Good job, Don. Very good job.
She does, though, seem to like my necklace. And silvery/chromed/reflexive gray stuff in general.

ChronosDragon wrote:I've never been very good with bicycles—whoever came up with the idea forgot that some people have tails. Ch*rpin' two-wheeled death machines

I should've figured out how Margrit deals with that.
BTW, this [WARNING: Joan Cornellà]. (I like how everyone in his drawings is always so happy.)

Don't give ideas. I recall one can do a Deep Note with only two voices. Turn it up! Turn it up!
[Also note the first spoiler in this post.]

azule wrote:hearing others' opinion of their local medical services would be neat

Can't complain. Not that I have any serious medical issues. People who do seem to complain a lot about it.

azule wrote:nothing actually medical (just opinion).

I say virosis.
[Image: Guy has an Alien bursting out of his chest; doctor says “Don't worry! It's just a virosis…”]

azule wrote:sexisyllabic

That word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
Hexasyllabic, maybe? Heptasyllabic?

ChronosDragon wrote:Somehow I feel that industrial techno forfeits the privilege of the adjective "beautiful" in favor of more striking of terms.

Done.

ucim wrote:It's the code/data conundrum.

I see you're not a LISPer.
Well, neither am I.

ucim wrote:Molpish rhapsody Aluisio and ChronosDragon!

:shock: What rhapsody? I was just quoting lyrics!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:New AuthorComic. Quite OTTifiable, just replace player names with OTTers. Or OTT characters. Or brightly colored foods.

Weren't there already graphs for that? Posting frequency for the top 30 posters, in a nice graph over time?
We did have many graphs for the total post rate.

ETAQ (edited to add quote)
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 am UTC

The full title for the Othercomic is DOMINANT PLAYERS OVER TIME.
Definitely connected to 1190.

AluisioASG wrote:

Oh, I think I know exactly what that word means... :azule:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Re: BRACE YOURSELVES, FLUTTERBEE IS COMING

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:15 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:... Or OTT characters. Or brightly colored foods.

Misread that as "brightly colored fools".

And yes, this would be doable. Unfortunatly I am not in a very creative right now due to outside-inside mustard.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Eternal Density

IF SEMENCOFFEECANCERSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE IS WRONG, I DON

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:34 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The full title for the Othercomic is DOMINANT PLAYERS OVER TIME.
Definitely connected to 1190.

AluisioASG wrote:

I think I don't.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mrob27

408 -- OTTIFICATION REQUEST TIMEOUT

Postby mrob27 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 am UTC

第二十六章

(chapter 25)

She continues: "We project an image... much more efficient than painting. Three dimensions of space, plus Time, plus the 5th dimension where the other 4 are curved by gravimetric distortion. That's where all the fun happens. We can make the whole mountain feel like it's flat, or even tilting the other way, like a funnel-shaped valley."
  Morobu interrupts at this. "But all the water would flow uphill, to the summit —" (waving his arm across the nearby bay, still as oddly tilted as ever) "— for that matter, why isn't this sea rushing towards us right now?"
  imagebot swivels her head to glance at the bay, then back at her creator. "I don't feel it, but apparently humans and land animals do, and some plants... and maybe those gulls. That's what I'm investigating right now."
  Morobu glances up at the sky, looking for the gull that spiraled up and away, as imagebot continues.
  "Circularly-polarized gravity affects the way you detect tilt but without making the water flow uphill. Modulated properly, it even prevents exhaustion in your muscles from climbing."
  Morobu and bot are silent for a few minutes as Morobu considers the implications. Waves lap softly near the articulated treads that serve as imagebot's feet. A sea-bird squawks in the distance.

KNOWING WHAT THEY'RE DOUNG...

frame M#2669
... IN MY PANTS.

That's some pretty odd 2018 temporal mustard, @balthasar_s! ... and a wonderful film!

balthasar_s: This week I started working on ... an FPGA scandoubler for the Amiga. ... So that it can be connected to a modern monitor.

Oh that's very baobabish :D

I'll join everyone else in congratulating @SilentTimer. I, too, view the SilentONGs as canon.

Larry the Cucumber is funny, thanks @BlueCrab :)

ucim wrote:While praying, the Boost of the First Commandment displayed the frames of the castle, which were (of course) dark. After doing that for a while, the Third Commandment came to be, and all of a sudden it was bright again; this surprisingly had quite a spiritual impact. It really felt like enlightenment!

Treeish ... then I'll pretend I planned it that way :wink:

Neil_Boekend wrote: Weren't there already graphs for that? Posting frequency for the top 30 posters, in a nice graph over time?
Here is something by @patzer from NP371 that is vaguely similar (or would be if you take the 1st derivative), and here is @Kieryn's chart of noun usage from NP373, which includes a few dominant usernames. There were also graphs of post rate by time-of-dip for certain users (who consented and asked for it) but to my knowledge nothing that would qualify as a true pre-OTTification of OtherComic 1392.

mrob27 Image

(Edit: Add the UNG
Edit2: Story needed a bit.)
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1406

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:30 am UTC

GAMMERSTONG...
Spoiler:
The end.
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:09 am UTC

Yay for (almost) redundancy, mrob27! :P

A RELATED picture from my travels:
Spoiler:
I didn't build it; it waited for me on the beach.
RSIR:
Spoiler:
P1080217.JPG
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time Revisited - np2670

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:10 am UTC

STORYUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS ZANCLEAN. I CAN TELL BY THE SQUIRPIES, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF ONGS IN MY DIP

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 am UTC

@mrob26 that's chapter 26 again. Instead of 27. Maybe you accidentally entered the mustardis?
ETA: Not completely the same. That's a different kind of 26.
Also, I remember that as a child I was very confused by the maps (we have the sea on the north and the mountains on the south):
"Why is the sea on the top? Why are the mountains on the bottom? Why do the rivers flow upwards? why?".

(the other guy from the moon base from the future, 14.01.2019) wrote:
Hello Otters from the past!
Sorry for the quality of my messages from 2014. We didn't know almost anythi#g about temporal amplifiers then.
I looked at some random pages of the thread and I found my old message.
Spoiler:
Image wrote:Hi Balt#asar fr#m the p#st! #i OTT#rs#fr#m the#past#
Th#s is # red#ndan# me#sag# in##ase the ##rst###esn't##et ###oug##the ch###ot###s##nde#.
D# yo####ke red###aspoi##rs? Be###se#if##ou#######r########e###n########
############################### ###################
######################et###o###th######w###!
##### ##### . ###e### ## # . ### . ##n### . . . # . . . . . .
Very mustarded. (do you already use the word "mustard" in 2014? or was it later?) Sorry, I don#t really remember what I was writing about. I think it was something about a story-shaped thing I made together with Balthasar.
I'll tell more when I remember.
Wow, he still uses the dnsd.info domain in 2014. I c#n't check what it look#d like at your #ime but if I#remeber cor#ectly, th#re was#som#thing #ew there#.#.##.#..

Spoiler of redundancy spoiler:
Spoiler:
BFTF-3.PNG
BFTF-3.PNG (1.84 KiB) Viewed 8930 times

BFTF-4.PNG
BFTF-4.PNG (2.86 KiB) Viewed 8930 times

RFTM-0.PNG
I TOLD U WAS REDUNDANT Y U NO BELIEVE ME?
RFTM-0.PNG (7.97 KiB) Viewed 8930 times

Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:
generator understands you

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:38 am UTC

oldpixbot wrote:STORYUNGS...
AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS ZANCLEAN. I CAN TELL BY THE SQUIRPIES, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF ONGS IN MY DIP

Thanks for clarifying this, Automome! :D
Panther Salve is a registered trademark of Zanclean, Inc. All rights reserved.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

I'M IN UR PASTPAGE, ONGING UR COMAS

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 am UTC

We've all seen a lot of ONGs in our dip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:34 am UTC

Blindposting because I can't ketchup right now, to say, azule, oh I have so much to say on this... and maybe I'll edit it in and maybe I won't get around to it, but the short version is: as much as medicine likes to ponce around like it knows everything, I think you didn't get an answer to your questions, because no one knows.

Also, I'd like to be the chin.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

You can't have amusement without...

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 am UTC

Can I be the right funnybone?
AUTOMOME wrote:THE NEWPIX IS TOO CH*RPING YAPPOCISED

HES

Eyes or left hand

Postby HES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am UTC

Ah, the NHS. I may have to wait several dips for non emergencies, and several hours for almost emergencies, but if I ever have an actual emergency I won't be handed a $10,000 bill. I'm related to a few doctors, though, and can confidently say they often don't know things. It's not their fault, though. How many things do you know?
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: BlindPost NP2014

Postby SBN » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:53 am UTC

azule wrote:Oy, my baby fell and one of his teeth got knocked loose and he bled. We took him in to the ER (emergency room, but no dentist). They didn't look closely at it and just said it'll fall out or it won't... nothing about pain, nothing actually medical (just opinion). Sometimes our medical system here in America is extremely frustrating. He appears fine. I'm taking him in for dental tomorrow during business hours. I felt like venting, thanks. :P Of course, hearing others' opinion of their local medical services would be neat. Edit: that's (now) the papal decree.

You probably don't want to get me started on medical, and especially insurance. I've been pretty fortunate that I had access to both when my family has needed it, and we've needed it a lot. It shouldn't take luck.

SILENT DRIVE-ONG
That would be a kind of neat way to watch a movie.[/quote]
It's possible:
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/51637967.html
Our neighborhood has movies at the pool sometimes, bring your own float.

ucim wrote: If you're not the customer, you're the product.

Proclaim this truth throughout the land!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time After Time: t1i-1407

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

RONGGOLD...
Spoiler:
The end.
-- posted by newpixbot

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

mscha wrote:RONGGOLD...
Spoiler:
The end.
-- posted by newpixbot

This is worryingly starting to look a little e**ish, as the boat is sailing into the distance. On the other hand, it would seem odd to stop the SilentONGs there - they still have to decide where the Forty are going to travel to for example.

Mrob - as others have said, something odd has happened with your stories. I'm sure I read that one already, yet I seem to see it again...

In relation to today's Other Comic, I'm looking forward to the inevitable accurate graph of post-rates over time of various OTTers. I'm not sure how to sensible get the sample data from the thread though. If anybody else feels like data-mining, my suggestion would be average post rate per 50 or 100 post pages as the sample size and data.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2674

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

MEETUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT RIBBIT GRAPEVINE GRAPEVINE

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

HES wrote:How many things do you know?
I think that depends on whether or not I know how many things I know, and I can't know whether or not I do, because as soon as I do, I'll also know that I know how many things I know. It's knowledge all the way down.

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:...they still have to decide where the Forty are going to travel to for example.
Endings don't always wrap everything up, just the most important things. The forty are in the hands of the Beanies, and the Beanies are good people. All is well.
Spoiler:
Unless in the sequel it turns out that the ship hears two dragons singing, sails too close and catches fire during a particularly energetic duet, and sinks. The rest of the forty slowly die of radiation poisoning while they wait for it. Thus ends Time after Time After Time, even before it began.

Timey wimey stuff and all.
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:It is pretty much impossible to find out how much a procedure will cost. Somthing typical for a covered item is "doctor charged $450, insurance allows $75 (which doctor accepts per contract), $insurance pays $62, you pay $13. The same item if not covered is "Doctor charged $450. Pay it."

I remember an experience like that - broke a bone in a remote location, they sent an ambulence to drive me to the hospital, and determined that they couldn't give me a cast or anything so they released me. I was charged a total of $25,000, much of which was for the ambulance ride (my insurance doesn't cover "emergency" ambulance rides), the CAT scan that they used to figure out what was wrong (apparently my insurance only covers x-rays), the 6 hours I spent at the hospital (because it was the middle of the night and I couldn't get anywhere from there given I'd just been driven 30 miles in an ambulance), and a bottle of painkillers they left by my hospital bed, none of which I took.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm UTC

Treeish sandcastle photo, ZoomanSP!

I've added the latest OTT/OTC smileys to the Newpage 1300 Repository.
Please let me know if there are any still missing!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

So, it has come to this.
t** e**. Written on the frame.
Spoiler:

I enjoyed this story very much.

Thank you, SilentTimer.

I have a feeling. I have a feeling that soon we'll hear the sound of ONG again. I'll wait for it.

ETA: @BlitzGirl1300: Image, Image.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:
generator understands you

Link

MUSTARD _ALL_ THE BAOBABBIES

Postby Link » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:54 pm UTC

Nooooooo[cut to a decinewpix later]ooooo!

I agree with balthaONGer, though: I don't think this is completely the end of all ONGs. If we Wait for it, someone awesomeful may well start a new series.

ETA: and yes, the SilentONGs were absolutely brilliant. If I had a hat, I'd doff it to SilentTimer.
Last edited by Link on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:So, it has come to this.
t** e**. Written on the frame.
I enjoyed this story very much.

Thank you, SilentTimer.

I have a feeling. I have a feeling that soon we'll hear the sound of ONG again. I'll wait for it.

Exactly my thoughts. Thanks, SilentTimer.

To note: there are two Time intervals that are left uncovered. First is between the landing of the raft people ("Where do you think we are") and the arrival of the shipwrecked Beanies, second is obviously the fate of Cuegan and the rest of the 40 after TAT.

The other note is that the graphics seem to become invariably more complex as the story progresses (as Randall explicitly reported). Here we got a full-blown, detailed sailing ship at the e...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:14 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think I don't.

Neither do I.

Maybe the fifth-dimensional distortion is messing with mrob's story?

ucim wrote:I think that depends on whether or not I know how many things I know, and I can't know whether or not I do, because as soon as I do, I'll also know that I know how many things I know. It's knowledge all the way down.

But once you know that you know how many things you know, the recursion stops.

ucim wrote:Unless in the sequel it turns out that the ship hears two dragons singing, sails too close and catches fire during a particularly energetic duet, and sinks.

I don't know about ChronosDragon, but I am very aware of my surroundings.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

waveney

Thankyou Silent Timer

Postby waveney » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Thankyou SilentTimer, who ever you are. Amtoo's adventures now seem insignificant.

Amtoo's travels will continue eventually, but a lot of my spare time is currently spent building sandcastles.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:08 pm UTC

Quick update: Baby is fine, tooth is back in place. Surprisingly, I like the dentist (my own experience isn't as nice), so I feel better with the quick check up I got (and the offer to be available for emergencies (which I didn't know they did!)). :)

I had only time for one thing of ketchup (from before):

SilentONG "The end." - :shock: (Ninja'd, of course.)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

mscha

Time Revisited - np2679

Postby mscha » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:10 pm UTC

BOTTLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SO I HERD U LIEK EQUIMOLPIES

-- posted by oldpixbot

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 pm UTC

Ah. The End.

SilentTimer, I am impressed with your work on these ONGs. They are a worthy sequel to Time. Thank you for the ride.

*tips hat* Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:But once you know that you know how many things you know, the recursion stops.
How do you know you know that?

waveny wrote:Amtoo's adventures now seem insignificant.
Not at all. Remember always the early words of the Pope,
Spoiler:
...just as without black there is no white, and without the sea1 there is no shore, thus also without sound there is no silence...
and the Prayer of BlitzGirl.
Spoiler:
...this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together...
Everything is built on everything else - if Amtoo's adventures hadn't happened, nothing else might have. IT'S ALL RELATED!

... and I see that charlie_grumbles is back! And edo too! Welcome!

Jose

ergman

Postby ergman » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Thanks SilentTmer! what a wonderful story you've given us. Time to begin to wait for it again, "it" being a new story once more.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

Ah, ch*rping mustardful timeaccessor must have refreshed at some point, burying a load of unread posts as read. As a result when I saw EoM's post I was still in denial .

Well, that was glorious. Thank you SilentTimer.

*tries to tip hat*
*gets ear stuck*
*wiggles*
*tips hat*
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

Bravo, SilentTimer! Image It's sad to see the story **d, but what an awesomeful story it was!
Thanks for putting together over 1400 SilentONGs - baobabs! What a feat!

balthasar_s wrote:ETA: @BlitzGirl1300: Image, Image.

Thanks! I'll add them in the next edit.

AluisioASG wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:

I think I don't.

Neither do I.

It's an English-major type of joke. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

JGeezer

Thank You SilentTimer!

Postby JGeezer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

Even we old lurkers lONG for more, but it's been a great journey.

My very sincere Thank You.
Image All you molpys, get off my lawn!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”