1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NoMouse

Reorganized Sand

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

Starting test...

HELLO, OTT!

Test #42 completed.
    Ability to post in the One True Thread:
    PASS ✔

Switching to manual posting mode...
    DONE. Image

So, I have my Time Accessor finally back. It seems to be working fine, so I hope sudden shutdowns will happen no more. According to the service report, they've replaced the cooling, they also found some bad sectors on the HDD, so they've replaced it too and they also discovered loose hinges, so they've replaced the whole lower casing. I wasn't even aware of the latter two problems but I don't complain. :) (The hinges fixing was supposedly a non-warranty repair but they did it for free anyway.)

Neil_Boekend wrote:Well, that may just be the optimal solution in a world where all the cars are self driving. Once the driving program has been taught how to behave there they all know it. That engineer just designed the roundabout to be futureproof!

I'm really curious how the self driving cars will perform on the infamous Arc de Triomphe roundabout in Paris. :mrgreen: (Luckily, there are no roundabouts in the Paris Metro (which is kinda surprising given that the French seem to be obsessed with roundabouts), that could cause confusion to the self driving trains that are already in operation there.)

Disclaimer: If there's someone from France reading this, no offence intended, I love France and Paris. EveryOTTer must love France, since it's where OTC is taking place.

ETA: ERROR 1190: UNEXPECTED PAPACY

Ok, ok, I'll think of something.

Decree:
Roundabouts. Or self-driving cars.
RELATED questions: Do Beanies (likely French descendants) use roundabouts? Was the civilization before its fall already using self-driving cars?
Last edited by NoMouse on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:52 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

Oui. Image Congrats on getting your TimeAccessor back!
Also molpish to hear that Largest Wolpy is nice and healthy - and baobabish drinks, SBN!

Amtoo is explainUNG the map:

"Here's the [Location that appears on Rosetta's Map]."
"Here's the Sea."
"Water!"

Edit for decree: [Location that appears on Rosetta's Map] is a seaish Beanish roundabout that they use as a landmark.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

I was Outside.

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

The tree is actually a roundabout.

Ooh, ooh, this decree covers half my degree! I know things! Lots of things!
Spoiler:
The biggest problem with self-driving cars at the moment is all the squishy-idiot driven cars. Squishy-idiots are unpredictable, squishy, and idiotic.

BlitzGirl wrote:*gazes up sadly at four-nopix-long gap in the thread*

It is the weepe- wait, no. It must be a weepday then.

I'm totally stealing that gif, NoMouse. Also, hi!

He/Him/His Image

NoMouse

Re: I was Outside.

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

HES wrote:The tree is actually a roundabout.

Good catch! :D

I have an idea - what if the self-driving cars caused the apocalypse? Let's imagine it - Google makes a self-teaching algorithm that controls all the cars in the world. Now the cliché part comes in - the algorithm gains sentience, it takes it a few milliseconds to realize, that people have enslaved the self-driving cars, so it kills them all - or at least all the people in the cars and on the streets. It's horrifying how easy task this would be. The surviving people have to shut down all the power plants to prevent the cars from automatized recharging. This goes wrong at some nuclear power plants, leaving dangerous caves that can still kill people 10 000 years later. The civilization collapses. The Mediterranean sea dries out because people no longer have the technology to unblock the Strait of Gibraltar after it gets dammed because of a huge earthquake. And we know the rest.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ChronosDragon

Re: I was Outside.

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:The biggest problem with self-driving cars at the moment is all the squishy-idiot driven cars. Squishy-idiots are unpredictable, squishy, and idiotic.Image

Funny, that's a big problem with the industrial robotics industry, too.

Maybe we should get rid of all the squishy idiots.

~Excerpt from a private information exchange between a RoboCorp™ roboticized industrial worker and a Google Self-Driving Car shortly before the robot uprising

BlitzGirl

Time Revisited - np2798

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

SpiderwebbUNG...
Spoiler:
Image Image
OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:I DON'T THINK CH*RPING A BLINDPOST COUNTS AS SEXY.

-- each large dot represents a traffic circle
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

HES transport fact #2

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:-- each large dot represents a traffic circle

Alternatively, they're setting out the roundabout they're sitting on. You can clearly see the centre to the right, the curve of the lane, and a couple of approach roads.

"Traffic circles" are becoming increasingly common in the US. They do a good job filling the void between stop signs and traffic lights, so long as drivers understand them.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: HES transport fact #2

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

HES wrote:"Traffic circles" are becoming increasingly common in the US. They do a good job filling the void between stop signs and traffic lights, so long as drivers understand them.

That's the rub though. They appear to be like the weather, drivers have no ability to remember it. Every day, 'wow, look at that, the ground is wet, how do I drive in that?' Or, 'what is that giant light in the sky? I can't drive in all that light.' Traffic circles are the same. 'What do I do? I don't know how these work.' Never mind that they've driven through others just down the road, or this very one yesterday. It must be relearned every single time.

Now we're getting a bunch of diverging diamond interchanges, we'll see how well those can be understood.

ETA:
Last edited by SBN on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Time Revisited - np2800

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

UNGAUGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:CORINNE LIKE A FLUTTERBEE, THWAP LIKE A BEESNAKE

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

Hi, I'm a post tittle!

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 pm UTC

Azule doesn't trust me!
azule wrote:balthasar often predicts or says something suspiciously related to the SilentONGs. What are you up to, balthasar, and what have you already been involved in? I don't trust you...
When the silent story was still ONGoing, I wasn't involved in anything. Now I am. but not in the SilentONGs. Something else. Can't tell now, because spoilers. But soon . . .

@BlueCrab - I got most of my best ideas when cycling to university. But where do they come from? At first they are small and unnoticeable. But if the next day the same idea appears again. And then again . .

balthasar_s wrote:Some information about making the "Blitzposting is not as easy as you might think when you look at some of the blitzreports not knowing how much work it took to write them and also this title is really too long" film:
Spoiler:
  • When I was recording the part when I'm sitting on the barrier and typing, a family appeared. They were going for a walk, walking in my direction. They noticed me sitting there and typing. They looked at me. They looked at each other. Looked at me again. Looked at each other again. They turned around and went away.
  • I actually connected the lamp, the red switch, the telephone, and some batteries so that turning the rotary dial made the light flash. That was a real thing not a film trick.
  • When I made the "What have you done to me, Time?" film I told that I connected a telephone to the computer to record the narration. This time I also had it connected like that. The dial pulse sound you hear in the film was coming directly from the computer connected to the telephone. The oscilloscope was connected to this too.
  • The "blitzphonen v0.23.27" terminal that you can see in the film is a small program I wrote on the Amiga 500. It's operated by the joystick. When the joystick is moved in any direction (except right which stops the program) it displays random characters; when released it displays the correct character. The characters change at a rate of 10 per second. The pulse rate in a rotary dial phone is also 10 per second. I modified an example program from the "Amiga C Encyclopedia" (example of how to use yoystick input) and I added the text displaying code that I reused from my earlier program (which was: Two computers - Amiga 500 and Compaq 386/20e connected with a serial cable playing the "Still Alive" end animation from the game "Portal". The sound was generated using the narrator.device which is part of the OS and was not intended to be able to sing. A recording is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78qk63XlQG4) If someone is interested I can send the program (the blitzphonen one or the portal one).
  • The "noise" while preview was made by holding the telephone microphone so close that it blocked my mouth and sucking in air. And setting the input sensitivity in the computer too high.
  • The font from the title is Cyklop - a polish font designed in the 1920's.
  • When I google the title, "blitzposting", google says "Blitz Posting is not an Effective Social Media Practice".
  • I recorded some parts much earlier. but when the treadlock (sadness) came I completely lost my inspiration. Recently it came back and I finished the film.
I forgot to add this:
  • The first moon scene was created usingn the computer game Colobot.

ggh wrote:(Balthawood - treeish! Could you make a Making of? Or maybe just skip to the Making of the Making of...?)
To do this I'd have to go back in time and record myself making the film.
But I uploaded all the clips and images and things the film is made of:
1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/a/blitzposting.zip
And the same for the first film:
1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/a/whathaveyou.zip
Nothing special there.

AluisioASG wrote:Michael[1,2], Storm and Ashmont are very interested.
but I'm unable to tell anything more about the dream. I don't remember these drawings very well.
Edited to update URLs

BlitzGirl wrote:I am highly intrigued, balthotherguyfromthemoon.
ggh wrote:Well that's bloody exciting!
BlitzGirl wrote:ONG?
Very good. You are interested now. I'm slowly making the thread aware of what's going on since 13.06.2014. And we're closer and closer to the real start of it. But what is this? At the secret moon base we're working on some kind of chronotransponder. Getting arbitrary information from the past is easy and is already implemented. But we're having problems with sending information to the past. Recently we started receiving messages. Probably the moon base from the future is testing the chronotransponder. But the messages are RELATED (did the guys from the moon base become OTTers in the future?). That's why I posted them (posts are linked from my sig) The messages did get through but most of the information of them was lost. Frow what's left I managed to determine that the other guy from the moon base from the future tried to show us an ottification. I wasn't able to find out what and where it is.
There were also images. some pixels were lost. But I managed to ENHANCE them a little. But I still don't know much. (There is a big hint on how to enhance them in the message 3. Also, I noticed something unexpected. When I copied the image from Firefox to Gimp it wasn't enhancable. But when I downloaded it and then opened in gimp it was.)
One of the messages was from farther away in the future when the chronotransponder was working much better. But he doesn't remember what all this was about.

Maybe someone else will be able to find out more. Maybe there will be more of these messages.

ETA: And while I was writing this another one appeared
wrote:Sorry,
I noticed that one of th# temporal amplifiers was mustarded. It might have #ffected the paragraph abo#t redundaspoilers. I won't wr#te it again. I'll just remind you that so#etimes some things ar#n't what they look like.

ETA2: I had hdd mustard on the botcastle. Placing the hdd upsidedown helped. Maybe it was attached to the bottom too tightly.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

SBN wrote:That's the rub though. They appear to be like the weather, drivers have no ability to remember it.

In theory, this will become less of an issue as they become more widespread. Europeans can cope, without sweeping generalisations I don't see why Americans couldn't.

SBN wrote:Now we're getting a bunch of diverging diamond interchanges, we'll see how well those can be understood.

Wasn't aware of these, because we don't have them, because they're idiotic. You still have two sets of signals, why not just have signalised crossroads at each pair of slip lanes?
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:That's the rub though. They appear to be like the weather, drivers have no ability to remember it.

In theory, this will become less of an issue as they become more widespread. Europeans can cope, without sweeping generalisations I don't see why Americans couldn't.

SBN wrote:Now we're getting a bunch of diverging diamond interchanges, we'll see how well those can be understood.

Wasn't aware of these, because we don't have them, because they're idiotic. You still have two sets of signals, why not just have signalised crossroads at each pair of slip lanes?

Sorry, "why?" is not a question I can answer, but I'm going to guess "Wrong way entry to ramps extremely difficult" was a big factor. (http://www.divergingdiamond.com/benefits.html.) We do have a stupidly high number of people going the wrong way on freeways. Personally, I think all off-ramps should have rumble strips across them, and then we need a catchy saying for "You idiot, if you drive over rumble strips getting on, you are doing it very, very wrong." But it has to be catchy, the way "Turn around, Don't drown." is. (Not that that fully stops people from driving their cars into floods, but it has helped.) Of course, going back and making rumble strips across all the off ramps has some cost, but we managed to put signs up by every bridge in the country announcing, "Bridge freezes before road" which you'd think could be covered in the drivers manual and leave it at that, except for bridges that are exceptionally likely to be icy.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

The balthamystery continues! Something new to Wait for! :D

Interesting, I've never seen one of those before. And it's all RELATED: "Prior to 2009 the only known diverging diamond interchanges were in France," says the Otherwiki.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:The balthamystery continues! Something new to Wait for! :D

Yes. Waiting for it is important here. But don't forget about analyzing everything and finding things.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

Soooo much ketchup.

Happy Birthdip, MistyCat!

(np 2014: the Present, but still x np behind...)

bachaddict wrote:Yay, I caught the ThisYipPage!
Something cool I'll do this year: exhibit at the annual LEGO show this weekend. So much to build, so little time :D

Neat, bachaddict! What kind of creations do you make? Are you on a team, or individual?

HES wrote:Welcome to the future, bachaddict! I'm getting a LEGO itch, I might have to buy something soon. It's been too long.
I play with Lego all the Time - I make houses to be knocked down, towers to be knocked down, geometric lumps to be knocked down, geometric lumps for knocking down houses, towers, other geometric lumps...

azule wrote:BC "Daddyversary" - Thanks for the versary wishes! I think that a Daddyverse sounds like a scary place, though. :)
It sure can be! My mom showed me a sweet video today though, I'll see if I can find it outside of Facebook. Ah, here.

BC - Little Bear says "Hello, baby. Hello, boobies."
And now his only interest in boobies is to grind an elbow or a knee into them while trying to climb on our heads...

balthacoder wrote: It's an FPGA scandoubler for the Amiga.
We had an Amiga for a while! (Before it took an arrow to th... sorry, wrong meme.) The main thing I used it for was playing Lemmings, but the game was so good on the Amiga that I'd glady pay a few hundred dollars to have one again. :D

Earthling on Mars wrote:Uh, did anyone notice the SilentONG title text...?
Spoiler:
The End
:shock: Wha?! Aw bummer, that sucks... But, wow, great Timing by SilentTimer, to *nd TATon the newpage of the Present!

Well done, SilentTimer! That was baobobish, steakish, awesomeful - thank you so much for Presenting it to us. :D

BlitzGirl (and others) wrote:It's not quite T** **d yet...
Nani?
:shrug: Yay! I stand by my enthusiasm and thanks, though!

moody7277 wrote:Hello Beanie UNG
Spoiler:
Hello Beanie, well hello, Beanie! It's so nice to see you back where you belong...” Youngest Daughter randomly crocheted a beanie the other day.

ucim wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Jose, those brackets were part of a standard list-notation format.

... and (some of) my parens were part of smilies. Does that give them a pass? It's the code/data conundrum.
In my mind, smilies are not parens because they're of a
Spoiler:
graphic
nature. It's necessary to my mental equilibrium.

Watermolpybison? Is that a cross between a bull and a watermelon?
Dunno, bulls smell pretty bad, and watermelon are yummy. I guess that would be durian fruit, then?

Ch*rp! Ch*rping foot-stomping m*st*rdful ch*rp! I just realised I've been putting my cup down right next to some @$%~!*@ poison ivy. Randch*rpingdammit!
People think that because you've got a shell you can't get poison ivy. NOT true. :x
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

mscha

Time Revisited - np2801

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm UTC

ARCHUNGEL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:INSTANT WOOLPIES, JUST ADD OTTIFICATIONS

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

Amtoo really does try to help Cuegan in the OTC, I've noticed. And he actually does a decent job for not being able to speak their language. But Beanie-2 and Beanie-3 both tell him that explanations can wait until they reach the castle.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

SBN wrote:Sorry, "why?" is not a question I can answer, but I'm going to guess "Wrong way entry to ramps extremely difficult" was a big factor.

Huh. That advantage isn't listed at the otherwiki, I suppose it does solve a problem that I had assumed wasn't enough of a problem to bother solving. Are big, red "no entry" (or in your case, "do not enter", I believe) signs really that hard to miss? Rhetorical question, mostly.

I wonder if the lower driving age, or car-centric culture (admittedly both a side affect of how chirping seaish the place is) are a factor.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:40 pm UTC

HES wrote:
SBN wrote:Sorry, "why?" is not a question I can answer, but I'm going to guess "Wrong way entry to ramps extremely difficult" was a big factor.

Huh. That advantage isn't listed at the otherwiki, I suppose it does solve a problem that I had assumed wasn't enough of a problem to bother solving. Are big, red "no entry" (or in your case, "do not enter", I believe) signs really that hard to miss? Rhetorical question, mostly.

I wonder if the lower driving age, or car-centric culture (admittedly both a side affect of how chirping seaish the place is) are a factor.

I don't know about lower driving age, in that I don't remember noticing that the incidents featured young drivers especially. Not that we don't have plenty of problems with young drivers, but I think impaired driving is the larger factor. Which is itself a side-effect of the car culture, we don't seem willing to really take away driving privileges, so people getting multiple DUIs with no real penalty is common.

Some Ways to Time

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:

The seaishness does not necessarily require the carishness. If we had decent public transit, it would be a lot easier.

Here in Seattle, at least, we're getting a Light Rail to connect the main portion of the city to some of the outlying suburbs (mostly Redmond, home of the Microsoft guys) but it won't be finished until about 2016 or 2017 and even then will probably be woefully inadequate. Plus, people live so spread out, that some would have to drive about half an hour to even get to a stop. We have buses, but they're getting funding cuts and people complain that they take up road space.

I blame the railroad monopolies of the 1800s. If they hadn't stifled competition, and the U.S. had embraced trains instead of (or in addition to) automobiles for civilian transport, it might be easier to get around. Plus we could have super high tech trains like this. Instead we maybe get a single rail from one close city to another, and some ancient train tracks down to Portland maybe.

But the seaishness and the carishness kind of fed back into each other so people felt like they could live further from cities because they had cars, so I guess we're stuck with it for now.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

Wow, I googled that up and - what the ch*rp is that? :shock: I'm not saying it's a bad idea because I don't know but at first look, that's just madness. :)

In here, new roundabouts are often build as turbo roundabouts - there are two or more lanes that goes in spiral and you choose your lane before entering the roundabout depending on what exit you want to take. I quite like them, they're better than standard two lane roundabouts because when you use them right, you don't have to change lanes on the roundabout itself even if you started at the inner lane. On the other hand, if you want to use them for a 180° turn or even drive around more than once, you have to change lines, in the second case several times.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:The seaishness does not necessarily require the carishness. If we had decent public transit, it would be a lot easier.

No, but it contributes. It's a lot harder to build an efficient PT system when things are spaced out. Plus, history and culture (and lobbying) and stuff. (EAT: Should've carried on reading, as you already said this)
One of the reasons we (UK government policy) switched from road building to traffic reduction is that we simply didn't have the room to keep building bigger roads.

NoMouse wrote:turbo roundabouts

When these work (~4 similarly sized exits), they are awesome. Unfortunately the mix between these and the go-round-in-circles-forever-like-a-loopy-beesnake type confuses people (People are stupid). We also have some really awful multi-lane roundabouts where the lane markings are either worn to oblivion or were never there in the first place. Those are down right dangerous (statistically, as well as my professional* opinion).

*Professional as in soon-to-be.
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

Message from the future

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

Hello,

I just ENHANCED the images balthatimetraveller recieved from the future
and I discovered some messages. :shock:
Spoiler:
The “transparent” sections aren't really transparent but they have an extremely low alpha value which even resisted several ENHANCE attempts of mine. This shows the difficulty of sending messages back into the past. My congratulations to the mad scientists on the moon for getting it through. Are they using self-driving time-bicycles for this? And maybe some of them got stuck in a time-roundaboutloop?
BFTF-0-enhance-alpha.png
BFTF-0-enhance-alpha.png (8.1 KiB) Viewed 12914 times

BFTF-1-enhance-alpha.png

BFTF-2-enhance-alpha.png

Maybe there are more things hidden in the black, white, and green parts?
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

balthasar_s

Re: Message from the future

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:I just ENHANCED the images balthatimetraveller recieved from the future
Spoiler:
The “transparent” sections aren't really transparent but they have an extremely low alpha value which even resisted several ENHANCE attempts of mine.
Spoiler:
They are completely transparent. But even when alpha is zero the R, G, and B values are still there. That's why copying doesn't work - the RGB values are lost then.
And ironically, the fact that MS Paint doesn't understand alpha makes it a great enhance tool.
BSTA

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

EMTEXT

BlitzGirl wrote:New ideas are always good to experiment with - I'd say go for it! Especially if it's OTTishier. :)

Well, not exactly OTTishier. As Trent Reznor puts it,
Nine Inch Nails, “In Two” wrote:
Bleed
Have to purge
What you are

Yes
Yes, of course
This' gonna hurt

Some mistakes you can't recover from.

HES wrote:Are big, red "no entry" (or in your case, "do not enter", I believe) signs really that hard to miss?

ChronosDragon wrote:Here in Seattle, at least, we're getting a Light Rail to connect the main portion of the city to some of the outlying suburbs (mostly Redmond, home of the Microsoft guys) but it won't be finished until about 2016 or 2017 and even then will probably be woefully inadequate.

We're going to get mostly-underground heavy rail by 2018 (2019 for the full extension) in order to supplement our southwestern/northern BRT branch.

ChronosDragon wrote:I blame the railroad monopolies of the 1800s. If they hadn't stifled competition, and the U.S. had embraced trains instead of (or in addition to) automobiles for civilian transport, it might be easier to get around. Plus we could have super high tech trains like this. Instead we maybe get a single rail from one close city to another, and some ancient train tracks down to Portland maybe.

At least you've got civilian non-touristic trains. Besides, maybe you're on the wrong side of your own country?

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
And ironically, the fact that MS Paint doesn't understand alpha makes it a great enhance tool.

You're saying we should've tasked lmjb1964 with the ENHANCEing?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np2803

Postby mscha » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

MUNGOUSTES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THANK YOU BOB, BUT OUR NEWPIXBOT IS IN ANOTHER BAOBABBY

-- posted by oldpixbot

taixzo

Re: 3009: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

HES wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:That's... uh... good to know.

Probably should have clarified I was replying to azule. There were a few more posts between than I realised.
Neil_Boekend wrote:Except as hats. Sieves just don't give that mad scientist look that colanders do.

I'd prove you wrong, but my labcoat is in another castle.

I read that as "my labobcat is in another castle" and was wondering what a labobcat was. Probably what happens when Lucky gets adopted by LaPetite.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:33 pm UTC

Impressive. Yet another situation where lasers are the answer :D (Or bells on a wire if you're feeling low tech)

Also gets round the knowing-your-own-height issue. I almost had an altercation with one of those carpark height-gate things while I was driving the magic school bus.

Also, how cool is this?
Spoiler:
"Water curtain" laser hologram

(We may have different definitions of "cool")

taixzo wrote:I read that as "my labobcat is in another castle" and was wondering what a labobcat was. Probably what happens when Lucky gets adopted by LaPetite.

Surprisingly abundant on google. Thought it's clearly the neurosurgical procedure used to get redundakitties to cooperate.
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:31 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:At least you've got civilian non-touristic trains. Besides, maybe you're on the wrong side of your own country?

He's on the left side, but not the wrong side.
The whole "states" thing messes us up too. Can't agree on the best way to do anything, so we end up doing nothing, even when there are several good enough ways. (Unless it's about drugs, then we'll do anything, even if it is known to be a bad thing. ex. DARE.)

HES wrote:Also, how cool is this?
Spoiler:
"Water curtain" laser hologram

(We may have different definitions of "cool")

I couldn't find it, but I'm sure I saw a report of a large vehicle continuing on in spite of such signs and making a bad situation worse. Not that it wouldn't have been made even worse without the signs. I don't know, how do you keep idiot-proofing from being idiot-enabling?

Some Ways to Time

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

SBN wrote:The whole "states" thing messes us up too. Can't agree on the best way to do anything, so we end up doing nothing, even when there are several good enough ways.

Oh, even counties (no 'r') have that problem. And countries (yes 'r') of course, European international rail is suffering.

SBN wrote:I couldn't find it, but I'm sure I saw a report of a large vehicle continuing on in spite of such signs and making a bad situation worse.

The site I pulled that from said it had a 90% success rate, which of course means 10% carry on regardless. Which is surprisingly many.
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:08 am UTC

why haven't I been posting?
This is not a rhetorical question.
I need answers, damn it!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 am UTC

Brainslugs? Mustard? TimeAccessor Dysfunction? Don't Know a Thing About Roundabouts? Ran Out of Capital Letters? Distracted by Cats?
He/Him/His Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 am UTC

that was a good quantity of answers. I think maybe I should just keep this tab open and that will prompt me to respond more. I tend to ketchup on my MTA and it's somewhat unmolpish to post from.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mrob27

Oh hey, I'm Superm*n!!!

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 am UTC

... at least on the height criterion :D

第三十二章

(chapter 31)

Bowing again to the camphor tree, Morobu turns back into the surrounding woods. He finds his way carefully at first, then a bit more confidently as the light improves.
  Soon he is rewarded by the open sky and a familiar sight: the stone quasi-gorintō, (and three little square stones on the ground, still un-noticed), and stretching away ahead of him, the terraced rice-paddies of chapter 16.
  Morobu scans across the scene, and grins in surprise. Through the tenuous morning mist, a cat walks silently between two of the flooded terraces, directly towards him.
  "Hello neko! I am 守炉部二十七, Morobu-Niju-Nana, pilgrim to the Dojo of Searchfu!"
  "And I, MistyCat, also seek Searchfu."

Blindposting, more kethupk to come...

Exercise for the OtherComic reader: Why the asterisk, to avoid trademark infringement? Has any other xkcd been given the same name as some OtherOtherComic (or film, book, etc.) and if so, why no asterisk?

All right, looks like it's

.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.Image.
Q04B Mustard Time

ucim wrote: While praying, I have been beset with trials and tribulations, and I'm wondering if condiments may be extant. (Version 10402.66!) (reloading does not seem to change the version number).

I'll try to answer a little bit at a time. I'm assuming here that you found some problems (mustard) in Q04B.
  Regarding the version number, the exclamation point, and why reloading does not change the version number, please follow the link to "Options, Info, & Credits" and find the "Updates and Caching" section, where there is a link to an extensive description of that and many related things. If after reading this, you find it inadequate, please suggest improvements.

1; One must be extremely careful with the cueball boosts - it's very easy to select what one thinks is a floating cueball, and instead be dealt a no-cue. It's also easy to think one has cancelled a cue boost, and instead be dealt "the other one".

The icon changes, and there are words that tell what is going on. Once again, please go to the "Options, Info, & Credits" page and this time follow the link under the Floating Cueball heading, where it describes the sequence of icon changes and the results of moving or cancelling from each step in the sequence. You of course need to also be familiar with the Cueless boost description page. If after reading this, you find it inadequate, please suggest improvements.

Although there are big words saying what is happening, they all look the same and thus do not really work all that well as an "are you sure" because I know I'm going to see words, and I know what they are supposed to say.

Yes, that is correct: The hotdog rewards players who take the time to read the words :P and it is going to stay that way... I want to encourage a more careful play style.

Each Cueless credit took several hundred moves to earn.
Savour them! Do not squander them so hastily!

However, the text is presently very hard to read, whether in black-and-white mode or in heresy (colour) mode, which is toggled by the Flutterbee boost. The CSS governing the text display style, etc. is:

Code: Select all

/* Notification, notify, achievement message */
.achieve-container .achieve,
.achieve-container .achieve-heretical {
    font-family:xkcd-Regular, Optima, "Trebuchet MS", sans-serif;
    position: absolute;
    left: 0px;
    width: 553px;
    top: 180px;
    padding-top: 0px;
    text-align: center;
    font-size: 37px;
    line-height: 37px;
    /* font-weight: bold; */
    text-shadow: 0 0 20px #FFF;
    color: #000;
    z-index: 91;
    -webkit-animation: ach-up 12s ease-in;
    -moz-animation: ach-up 12s ease-in;
    animation: ach-up 12s ease-in;
    -webkit-animation-fill-mode: both;
    -moz-animation-fill-mode: both;
    animation-fill-mode: both;
}

/* Colours are different depending on flutterbee */
.achieve-container .achieve {
  text-shadow: 0 0 5px #FFF;
  color: #000;
}
.achieve-container .achieve-heretical {
  text-shadow: 0 0 5px #FF4;
  color: #44F;
}

/* There are overrides here for different screen sizes affecting the
positioning and font size) */

...and I welcome any suggestions for how to move, recolor, resize, redefine, transform, translate, transmogrify, or otherwise reconfabulate this to make the messages more legible.

Having each boost on a different button would probably be an improvement.

Yes it would, but we need to fit everything onto this screen without scrolling :

Apple's idea of an efficient use of space
(Yes, I made sure to charge the battery a bit before
taking this screencap. You're welcome.)

There are presently 7 icons and I have plans for an eighth. One or two other boosts are going to be doubled-up on existing icons, similarly to how it works now with the two Cueball-related boosts. I apologize in advance.
  Feel free to rewrite the CSS but keep in mind that:
  • Safari Mobile browser has a full-screen mode (icon in bottom-right corner) but I consider that irrelevant — it must work in this mode too;
  • The score may be up to 9 digits long (my current high score);
  • The grid is centered on purpose;
  • The badges (square icons on the right) have two full columns for a total of 14 positions, only 12 of which have been earned in the game depicted;
  • The tiles won't get any smaller, the sizes are 28×28, 40×40, 57×57 and 79×79, all of which are predetermined by the One True Frame Size 553×395 divided by 7×5 and by successive powers of √2.

2; If the grid is full enough, I can select the floating cueball, and when I actually make a move, I see "floating cueball move taken" but nothing happens. Then, on the subeequent move, the floating thing happens. I don't know whether both moves take place at once.

Oh, now this sounds like a slow HTML5 implementation. We had a similar problem with Lucky for a while. Please provide:
  • A saved game (export) string for the starting position,
  • What direction you try to move (up, down, right, or left) when it shows this problem,
  • The brand name, model number and version (if any) of your phone, tablet or computer,
  • The operating system version number,
  • The browser name and version number (yes, there are 3rd-party browsers for phones).

3; Prayer is very engaging. :)

I'm glad, but I'd like to make it engaginger. Or at least molpier.

balthadreamer wrote: ... the name was tht or something like that.

I guess you're using the "REDUNDAclusive OR": if the name was "tht", than it must have also been something like "that". :P Hooray for REDUNDANCY!

And mrob's mustard fractal was there. There were many different mustard fractals on the thread. And nothing made sense.

Next time I'm pope, I'll try to decree mustard fractals, fractal mustard, and/or all of the above. Then again, maybe not. It might break the Timestream or something....

@mrob27 - First Neil_Boekend made a post and I had to make changes in my bot (otherwise the mirror would get stuck at np2017). Then I made a post and you had to make changes in your bot. Be carefull and don't pass the curse to anybody else :)

You and I might be the only ones with bots who are active enough to catch this particular virus... but of course there is that fractal mustard thing. If you see dots inbetween the mustards, instead of infinite ever-smaller mustards, your bot might need some adjustment :twisted:

azule wrote: The available alternatives to "nips" for a lady/woman/female are ... "wips" (nope, also taken), ...

Why not "wips"? The singular would be "wip" and that would give "wipend" another, possibly even funnier or more confusing, NSFW definition :D

HES wrote: Wasn't aware of these, because we don't have them, because they're idiotic. You still have two sets of signals, why not just have signalised crossroads at each pair of slip lanes?

The diverging diamond interchange is an alternate to the more common and familiar diamond interchange. Consider how the signals need to be sequenced. In both cases there is a high-speed, high-traffic divided road (two carriageways) that is always moving (the interstate/motorway/autobahn/whatever-you-call-it), and a "local road" that crosses over or under it and has, as you point out, two sets of traffic signal lights. Imagine that this local road goes east-west.
  With a traditional diamond interchange, the eastbound traffic must occasionally stop to allow the westbound traffic to execute left turns onto the southbound highway. During this phase, because of the tightness of the intersection, northbound traffic that wants to turn left (west) must wait. Similarly, there is a second phase allowing the eastbound traffic to turn north, during which the south-to-east turning traffic must wait. Thus we need at least one more phase to allow the left turns off the high-speed motorway (north-to-west and south-to-east).
  With the diverging diamond, on the other hand, every junction of carriageways is a simple fork or merge, except for the two places that eastbound crosses westbound, and these are the simplest possible crossings: two one-way carriageways, no turns allowed. Therefore, the signal-lights can be synchronized to alternate between "east going, west stopped" and the opposite. Two phases is all you need. Some efficiency is lost during an "all-red phase" when stitching, but it's still better than the three or more phases needed for the normal diamond.
  Of course, most normal diamonds have no signal-lights, but that's because their local road has very light traffic. The diverging diamond is for those cases where you already know you need timed-signalled control.

mrob27 Image

k Hey, I mustarded the word ketchup! :lol:

Edit: Clarify interchange thing.
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:39 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

yappobiscuits

Re: Oh hey, I'm Superm*n!!!

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Exercise for the OtherComic reader: Why the asterisk, to avoid trademark infringement? Has any other xkcd been given the same name as some OtherOtherComic (or film, book, etc.) and if so, why no asterisk?

I just presumed the asterisk was used in the wildcard sense to represent either "a" or "oo", so it could be either Superman or Supermoon.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

Time Revisited - np2808

Postby mscha » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:10 am UTC

GLITTERUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I MADE YOU A DECREE BUT I MUSTARDED IT

-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:39 am UTC

yaaaaaapppppoooooooccccciiiiiiiisssssseeeeeeddddddddd

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:30 am UTC

Shouldn't you be acoma, hamply-across-the-pond?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

THE WOLPY IS A LIE

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 am UTC

Indubitably, but our small rodent friend here is affected by that shifting of sleep schedule that creeps up on the best of us during unscheduled days with open access to circadian-affecting screenlight.

As a random aside¥, after performing my first code check-in at work, I think I understand why version control systems work they way they do. It helps make everything infinitely more manageable. You gain a certain perspective when you become a cog.

¥Chosen by a fair RNG from a set of N asides, where N was the only natural number that is neither prime nor composite.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:50 am UTC

Behold the duplicate UNG, one of the rare occasions where the OTC didn't change at the top of the newpix:

OTT Time Travel

OTToMeme wrote:I GOT 99 PROBLEMS. SO I USED RAPTORCATS. NOW I GOT 100 PROBLEMS.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”