1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

yappobiscuits

Re: no manip on mobile

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:What castle is this?

Dunure, a riverish tent-collection in Ayrshire on the west coast of Scotland.

Oh, treeish! I've never been there but I've been to Culzean castle which is pretty much next door. Though that's not a true castle, more just a glorified stately home.

Oh, yappope...
More real castles! Preferably ones near you or that you've visited.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ChronosDragon

Re: BlindPost NP2053

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 pm UTC

azule wrote:I didn't know the definition of "refactoring" was an issue. I've never had trouble understanding it's meaning, nor thought that it was a newish word. *puzzled*

Same here, I thought it was easy enough to get if you know the definition of factoring. e.g.:
x2 + 5x + 6 = (x + 3) • (x + 2)
though I suppose I discovered the term in the context of an IDE while programming, so it might have been a bit easier to infer.

ETA for decree:
I don't think I can talk about "castles near seattle" unless I'm on a postmark. Spoilered for size, and some words in the content.
Spoiler:

Valarya

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Valarya » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 pm UTC

I've been to the castle on Lake Geneva close to Montreux, Switzerland. I forget what it's called though. :oops:
*does a bit of googling*
Oh, there we go! The Château de Chillon.

I saw the recent head-cannon OtherComic and decided to peek out of the basement to see if you guys filked a Trebuchet in. Cause that'd be cute. (Hrmph. I just visited the Newpage 1800 Smiley Repository. How is it we don't have a freaking tiny trebuchet emoticon?!)

Soooooooooooooooooooooo.

Either way... time for a not-treeish amount of Image since I'm only going back just a few newpages and not the hundreds I've missed. 2000?! GUYS!!!

Oh, and hi. RELATED cupcake inside:
Spoiler:
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

ChronosDragon

I ACCIDENTALLY A WOOLPY, IS THIS BAD?

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

Val! Our ex-ex-resident cupcake minister!

Of course we filked a trebuchet in, and then proceeded to spend not a riverish number of newpages arguing about what to call it (I think the verdict was trebuchat because it includes french redundakitties)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

There is this: Image on the np1300 repository.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Valarya

Re: I ACCIDENTALLY A WOOLPY, IS THIS BAD?

Postby Valarya » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Val! Our ex-ex-resident cupcake minister!

Of course we filked a trebuchet in, and then proceeded to spend not a riverish number of newpages arguing about what to call it (I think the verdict was trebuchat because it includes french redundakitties)

ex-ex?! But oh no, I will always be the Cardinal of Cupcakes. ;)
I can't wait to see the Trebuchat!

balthasar_s wrote:There is this: Image on the np1300 repository.

Ahhh, I went there too but must have missed it. Thanks!
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 pm UTC

Nice to see you Val!

I have to be up early tomorrow to catch a raftcastle, so molpy sulking laterally.
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

Not many castles around here, so here's Caerphilly Castle.
Spoiler:

Valarya wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Val! Our ex-ex-resident cupcake minister! )

ex-ex?! But oh no, I will always be the Cardinal of Cupcakes. ;)
I believe a double-negative makes a positive here, meaning you are indeed our Cardinal of Cupcakes! Image It's molpish to see you again!
'Twould be an endish state of affairs indeed if the repositories lacked a trebuchet emoticon. I did find this one Outside, but it's decidedly more brutal:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

Wikipedia calls this a castle, and it isn't too far from me.

And apparently, our raptorish-cooker has decided to add m*stard by starting itself randomly. I really don't need any more m*stard, thanks.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:39 pm UTC

Might it be a ghost influencing your raptorish-cooker? A ghost with a temporal-tea-powered-remote, perhaps?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:01 am UTC

Treeish postcount, BG.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Might it be a ghost influencing your raptorish-cooker? A ghost with a temporal-tea-powered-remote, perhaps?

I don't think so, but if it is, I would be very appreciative if it would stop

At the moment we've removed it's access to electricity. Tomorrow I'll do some more investigating, and decide on a course of action. (That is, determine where it fits in the queue of things that need more of my money than I have.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 am UTC

Hope the mustard clears up soon, SBN!

yappobiscuits wrote:Treeish postcount, BG.

Indeed it is (6767). And now I've ruined it. :D

For decree, a castle for sale:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:52 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Hope the mustard clears up soon, SBN!

Me too. I feel like I've been hanging out here:
Spoiler:

If I'm rating this year's m*stard, this one probably isn't even in the top ten, but I really need to stop having new m*stard so I can clean up the previous m*stard.

Some Ways to Time

Eternal Density

IT'S QUACKMOLPIES GONE WILD 7!

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:44 am UTC

http://www.mustardmusic.co.uk/
Why doesn't this site have any info about VHF?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:54 am UTC

I think VHF signed with chirpingmustardmusic, actually.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I HAS A MANIP. YOU CAN HAS MY MANIP.

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I think VHF signed with chirpingmustardmusic, actually.

Of course!
We wouldn't want unchirped mustard!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:31 am UTC

Valarya! Welcome back! I've missed your cupcakes, and had to make do with scrumptious donuts. There's a price though, and I'm wondering if BlitzGirl isn't thinking of re-purposing that OutsideTrebuchet, ya!

I've spent most of the day trying to get pure CSS popups to work. I got another version to work on my machine, but I don't know how portable it will be (it depends on hover, focus, and before pseudoclasses, and I need the site to work (even if it's not pretty) for ancient browsers. It's for a form of groupware, and if anybody in the group can't use it, then the group can't use it. So... I'm starting with m*stard, and going from there. Skycirclish dix out there, and I'm in.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlueCrab

Postby BlueCrab » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:22 am UTC

Right. Hopefully that mess is sorted for a while, and I can get ketched up finally!

I started taking notes then got Outsided again; going to go ahead a post these then just read until I'm within a page or two of the present. Future. Something wibbly-wobbly like that, anyway...
Np 2018

lmjb, you asked about macraw's brain-amoeba, which reminds me: is it getting bigger? Or am I misremembering? (He's had it about 2 mips, I think...)
Aluisio, the way your avatar is transforming from line-drawing to colorization is neat!

ED wrote:
azule wrote:BC "there's a new Monty Python movie!!!" - That works for me!

Um... I think that site needs a nsfw warning.
Does it? :shock: Okay, I'll go edit one in. I guess the mobile site is a bit less Express-y...

lmjb wrote:I did forget to tell my friend not to leave an open bag of Doritos here. The thing is, I don't really even like Doritos. They're waaaay too salty, and they're such an unnatural orange color and thef hamn mrf grbh crunch crunch crunch.
My youngest daughter, the Safety Officer, just restarted my addiction to Cheesy Poofs. (That's the Southpark name for them, I don't remember the real name. Cheez Doodles?) I ask you, is it right for a Safety Officer to be actively cruel?! They're just so puff and so crunch and so yuummmm...

Np 2019!
ED, quoting me wrote:...were promised a chicken in every pot back in 1928!
And pot with every chicken!
That seems to be the way it's going, yes. Whodathunk?
Wait a sec, exactly when was marijuana outlawed?
Wow, Wikipedia says cannabis has been regulated as a drug since 1619. Doesn't say whether that's worldwide or just here in the now-US. Here we are: “...outright prohibitions began {in the US} in the 1920s.” :shock: It's all related!

The redundakitties are back! Oh, how I've missed them!

SBN, does your lawn robot giggle when it runs off? I would...

mikrit wrote:Today, I have taken the daughters to the beach and we fished crabs. Hm, I mean we crabbed crabs. Caught crabs. Sorry about that, BlueCrab - we released them unharmed afterwards.
No, I'm telling you, there's good eating on them things!
Autocorrect tried to tell me I meant to write Kilroy when I was typing your name, silly thing...

There's an otter in David Brin's book Existence, which I just finished. It doesn't specify whether or not she's an OTTer, but she is part of a smartmob - that's sort of an Internet group which tracks down obscure clues to figure out what's going on...

They're talking about sending mustard to Mars! :shock: What are they thinking?!
Wiki Wiki Wiki Wiki Grapevine, Grapevine

"Kvetcher-upper" -- one who complains while ketchupping? - CasCat

“Pretty much everything tastes better if you eat it in the shower.” - ggh

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 am UTC

Hi Valarya! Molpish to see you! :)

Sustainabilizer wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
taixzo wrote:
Angelastic wrote:Das Meer ist groß. Der Fluss ist klein.
I've used Duolinguo too!
Warten für es!
[pedantic]Warte auf es.[/pedantic]

Well… this is not how one would say or write this.
Spoiler:
In fact, it is not as easy to translate “Wait for it.” into German as it might seem.
  • Translating it word by word yields indeed „Warten für es.“ („warten“ = “to wait”; „für“ = “for”; „es“ = “it”). (Please note that the German right quote is the English left quote, while the German left quote is a lowered English right quote.)
  • When we try to translate the meaning, the first step is „Warte auf es.“ („warte“ = imperative form of “to wait”; „auf“ = “on” is the preposition which is used together with “to wait” in German instead of „für“ = “for”; „es“ = “it” still holds as the accusative of „es“ looks the same as its nominative.) However instead of „auf es“ one must use its contraction „darauf“, so we get: „Warte darauf.“
  • Now we get the problem that German has separate formal and informal forms to address someone. „Warte darauf.“ is the informal version as one would address a friend, a relative, or a child. The formal version would be „Warten Sie darauf.“ (Please note the capital „S“ in „Sie“ = “you”-formal.)
  • The next problem is that these commandments expect a very specific “it” to wait for and thus do not preserve the spirit of the First Commandment which leaves it open. This is because the use of the preposition „auf” = “on” (replacing “for”) puts an emphasis on the “it” we are waiting for. Fortunately, German has a separate verb „[etwas] abwarten“ meaning “to wait [for something]” which takes the “it” as a direct object. By using this, we can get rid of the „auf“ and switch back from „darauf“ to a plain „es“:
    „Warte es ab.“ (informal) or
    „Wart's ab.“ (informal abbreviated – like “it's” instead of “it is”) or
    „Warten Sie es ab.“ (formal) or
    „Warten Sie's ab.“ (formal abbreviated).
  • We still have the distinction between formal and informal language which separates our translation from the original First Commandment which leaves this open. To fix this, German allows to use the infinitive instead of the imperative. In the same step, an unspecified direct object (i.e. just an „es“ = “it”) can be dropped.
    So we arrive at the translation:
    „Abwarten.“

“Wait for it.”

Now we can easily translate a german proverb:

„Abwarten und Tee trinken.“

“Drink tea and wait for it.”

AbwartendT
Sustainabilizer

„Abwartend“ is the presence participle of „abwarten“, so it means “waiting for it“.
If you wait for a specific something, e.g. an answer, just put it in front, in the accusative form: „Antworten abwartend“ = “waiting for replies”.
Please note that there is no comma after „Abwartend“ since this is a complimentary close in German.
T:In fact I am drinking tea right now, so I may as well write: „Abwartend und Tee trinkend”. :)

Well, I for one, would say or write this (actually, I did :) ).
Although your explanation1 is correct, I don't think it's that clear-cut. For example, IMHO it is perfectly fine to say "Wann kommt das Auto?" - "Warte auf es." ("When does the car arrive?" - "Wait for it."). On the other hand, I feel that "Abwarten." as the title text for the OTC wouldn't work (and that is probably what taixzo was looking for). An alternative translation for the First Commandment might be "Warte noch.", which might roughly be translated to "Wait still for it.", and hence additionally includes the Time component.
Sich der Teestunde anschließendT Image
ZoomanSP

T: Joining the tea party1773
1773: I'm currently about 3.6 kq from the site of the historic Tea Party raftcastle.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:48 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:They're talking about sending mustard to Mars! :shock: What are they thinking?!

You had me all excited about Martian mustard, until I realized the article was thirteen yips old. Image I guess they decided it was a bad idea after all!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

I'M SORRY, BALDO. I'M AFRAID I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT.

Postby mrob27 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:07 am UTC

第四十八章

(chapter 47)

Morobu glances up at the gradually darkening sky, then back at the mottled-brown duck.
  "Find his way back? Can I ask?"
  "Flight patterns are different. We all know that much. This time of yip the Mountain should be easy, just skirt around the west side, circle part way around and continue ... wherever we're heading. Time it right and you get a boost on the up-slope. But..." There is a pause.
  Morobu offers more crumbs as encouragement. "What changed?"
  "It's not the air, and not the Mountain. But somehow we end up in the wrong place. When I got to this pond I felt like it was too far north. Link was leaving when I arrived. Link felt like it was too far south."
  Morobu finishes the question, "... so Link is trying to get back on course?"
  "Yes," quacks the duck in reply.

Link wrote: Huh, I don't even recall seeing anything I'd call an error in any of your memes, though I did sometimes apply minor tweaks.

Oh, well, they were small I guess. But you seem to be a bit better at thinking of all the grammatical possibilities.
  • In the "Billy Madison" template ("If peeing in your pants is cool, consider me Miles Davis.") I turned "Miles Davis" into [character adjecive verb-perfect], which allows intransitive verbs such as "CONSIDER ME CHEWED BEESNAKES". In yours you have [verb-tr-perfect], allowing transitive verbs only.
  • In the "Boys’ Life" (1929) meme ("You fellows go out there and play like you’ve never played before!") I was using [verb-inf] for the first and [$0/-past] (the past tense of the previous choice) for the other. Your version uses the perfect tense. The perfect tense is correct (because "you've ..." is "you have ..."); my version was producing "I'M GOING TO GO CAVE LIKE I'VE NEVER WENT CAVE BEFORE."
  • In the Arthur Baer (1938) meme ("You can take a boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of a boy."), I was using "OUT OF" all the time, even when that preposition doesn't match the [place]. For example, mine would generate "YOU CAN TAKE CUEGAN OUT OF THE BEACH...". It shouldn't be "out of", it should be "from" or "away from". You dealt with this by excluding the [place]s that use ON as the preposition denoting location-inclusion. After seeing your code to handle this, I realized I needed to fix mine too and addressed it by adding a directional-origin preposition to the [place] multiclass (the IN/ON test doesn't work for me because I prefer "TAKE ... BACK FROM THE FUTURE" to "TAKE ... OUT OF THE FUTURE").
Other recent changes in my AUTOMEME: Regex replacement operations can be given a name, so I now define /has-no-spaces/ to be equivalent to /^([^ ]+)$/$1/; and a template can invoke another template as a subroutine (though I'm not using that capability yet in the main templates file).

HAT-HAIR TURNED TO LOOK AT MS. FRIZZLE. I ASKED MS. FRIZZLE, AND
  XE ANSWERED, "WINGISH MIPS: THEY'RE WHAT YOU BLITZNAPPING BLITZNAP".
    "REALLY, MS. FRIZZLE?" I REPLIED, "BLITZNAP? WHY NOT WAIT FOR THEM?
  HAT-HAIR LOOKED BACK AT ME AND REPLIED, "BECAUSE WAITING FOR MIPS IS
  **DISH."

I wonder how much further this work will go before we're on par with the early AI projects, such as ELIZA or PARRY? @azule has already tagged every word as positive or negative (part of the PARRY design). I'd love to have a chOTTerbot...

ucim wrote: I'm obviously mustarding the math; I figure that every tile requires two of the previous tiles, except cueballs, which just require a move. So, to make a castle (4 pts) requires two megans, which require four cueballs in all. So in a perfect game the number of points in a tile should equal the number of moves required to make it, no? You'll have more total points (because you keep points from merged tiles), but ignoring random Megans, each move generates a cueball (one potential point), which becomes a point when merged. So the number of moves should be pretty close to the total point value of the visible tiles. No?

When you make two Megans, you score two points apiece. When you eventually merge the two Megans into a castle you get another 4 points. 4+4 = 8 points, but you made 4 moves.

4 Megan-forming points
+ 4 castle-forming points
= 8 = 2 × 4 = moves × log2(moves)

Similarly, to make a trebuchet you first make four Megans (2 points each = 8 points) then you make two castles from the Megans (4 points twice), then make the trebuchet (8 points). You got 8+8+8=24 points out of 8 Cueball tiles:

8 Megan-forming points
+ 8 castle-forming points
+ 8 trebuchet-forming points
= 24 = 8 × 3 = moves × log2(moves)

I'm only counting the moves required to get the "raw materials" from which the larger tiles are made; it always takes a few extra moves to consolidate the pieces — but most of those are happening concurrently with the gruntwork of making Megans from Cueballs, and any extra moves at the end give a few extra Cueballs that count towards some future cascade, so it all works out. In general, your score is close to the number of moves you've taken, multiplied by log2 of the number of moves (an approximation that can be verified by simply starting a new game, counting how many moves you take, and pausing every now and then to write down that number and your score). Or, just watch this Numberphile video. Start at about 14:35 in the video, and remember that in Q04B you get more because the lowest tile (Cueball) is a "1", whereas in 2048 the lowest is a "2".

ucim wrote: You could even overlay the scores with a new message if necessary, letting it go away once it's irrelevant.

Oh yes, of course! And if you want to see the score you could touch/click on the message to make the message go away, then touch again to see the message if any. This is why I need folks to think for me! :D

ucim wrote: What I usually do is, just prior to and just after making a big tile, I manually copy the state string to a text file. I'll also do this prior to running Lucky, after compacting a Lucky streak, prior to a risky move, and if I'm going AFK for a while (in case there's organized sand mustard). I guess that has unknowingly cost me many boosts.

I'm sorry. :( You definitely deserve to give yourself some Cueless and Snake! credits. I know you have been using the boosts (leading to our discussion of the useless messages), but I don't know how much. But you can make a pretty good guess:
  • Try to estimate how many credits you've missed out on. Here's a rough guide: Each Rosetta gives you about 6.5, each laPetite+LBB gives you 13, each "Lucky on Shed" gives you 26, the Beanette/Amtoo Wedding gives about 52.5, and "Hello" (Beach Reunion) gives 105. If you made one or two moves before jumping out of the game (to Options/Info/Credits) then you got one or two credits, but the rest were "lost"
  • Remember that to get the Hello you had to make two Weddings first, and so on, so it's like 105 + 2×52.5 + 4×26 + ... (which explains the 700 or so credits that you calculated you should have gotten during an interval when the score increased by 7 million)
  • Take a note of how many Cueless and Snake! credits you have right now
  • Export and look at your export string. The numbers of Cueless and Snake! credits are easily spotted in the export string, near the end
  • Change the numbers and import
  • Continue your prayers, graced by resurrected credits!

The simplicity of altering the game via export/import is intentional. Yes, that could be "abused", but so what? This hotdog is meant to be fun, and if playing a game entirely on boost credits is fun, then have at it! There is no shame, or implication of "cheating" in a non-competitive solitaire game.

In the interview, Kieryn wrote: ... Randall Munroe, he does xkcd, and there was a Time comic that he did, that lasted for three months. ...

Time lasted for 4 mips... but I guess that last month was so rushed it felt like 3 months overall :)

macraw83 wrote: Also, does anyone know offhand what the default fora font is called? I need it for a small project I'm working on.

Never mind, found it. "Trebuchet MS", in case anyone was curious

@balthasar_s pointed out that we don't all see the same font. I'll add that Apple users will usually see Lucida Grande, and I think Windows users see Trebuchet MS; I don't know about Linux and Android.
  Some users (like me) have user stylesheets, I recently changed mine to say:

font-family: "Cambria", "Hoefler Text", "Averia Serif", "Rockwell", "Georgia", "Lucida Bright", "Times", serif;

and I often magnify it a fair amount:

How I make the OTT more readable
from a distance on a 22-inch monitor

ChronosDragon wrote:Same here, I thought it was easy enough to get if you know the definition of factoring. e.g.:

though I suppose I discovered the term in the context of an IDE while programming, so it might have been a bit easier to infer.

When I first saw the word I assumed it meant "re-making", because I had studied Latin and recognized the root. The way I refactor code is to add new redundant code, test that it works the same with the new as with the old (sometimes I program it to test itself), then switch over, update the block comments and leave the old unused code in there for a year or two. I don't think this is what most people mean by refactoring, though I guess it's a bit like "re-making".

mrob27 Image

NP2055 what I see now.png
What I see right now
Last edited by mrob27 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ChronosDragon

Re: I'M SORRY, BALDO. I'M AFRAID I CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT.

Postby ChronosDragon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:23 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:Same here, I thought it was easy enough to get if you know the definition of factoring. e.g.:

When I first saw the word I assumed it meant "re-making", because I had studied Latin and recognized the root. The way I refactor code is to add new redundant code, test that it works the same with the new as with the old (sometimes I program it to test itself), then switch over, update the block comments and leave the old unused code in there for a year or two. I don't think this is what most people mean by refactoring, though I guess it's a bit like "re-making".

I think in general refactoring just refers to changing the way the code works without changing what it does, on a small scale or large scale. I can refactor a function to use a more efficient sort method, or I can refactor a whole program to clean up spaghetti code. Same term, different scope.

Also with good coding practice, you should write your unit tests before coding :P Not many people have good coding practices, though.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Comforting! I lived rough for a while in Ithaca, [...] I would sleep down in the gorge beside the river.
Ithaca, NY? My sister went to college there. I flew up one (rare sunny) day, and a rainstorm the next day filled the plane with water several inches deep and I had to wait almost a week for nice weather and for the plane to drain. (All the water sloshing towards the tail on rotation would have made for an unmolpyish takeoff!)

Was that back in the days when it was a cute little airport, smaller than a bus station? I was a bit sad when it became a real airport of sorts.
ucim wrote:What were you doing in Ithaca?

I collected not one, but two bachelors (the degrees, not the fellows) from Cornell, getting to spend from 86-90 there in the Arts & Sciences school, and from 94-98 in Engineering, because I couldn't bear the prospect of wondering someday when I was old how my life would have been different if I hadn't been afraid of taking calculus. Loved it there in Ithaca. Beautiful place.

Yes, I admit, there was some weather. I remember one night it went down to -19F (-28C) while I was sleeping in my car. It had risen to -15F by the time I awoke, and the fellow whose house I had parked in front of came out and brought me brekkie. I accidentally spilled the orange juice on my sleeping bag, just on the edge of the indentation my head had made, and the oj that poured into the indentation soaked in. The oj that fell just next to it froze solid immediately on the surface.
I liked the summers much better than the winters.

Thanks also for the history on "refactoring." It was easy enough to guess what it meant, but having never heard it before the OTT, and then hearing it repeatedly, I wondered if it was just one of those terms like "rebranding", or "action" as a verb. I thought maybe computery dudes were getting in on the game of fancying up their lingo like business majors have been doing since forever - and that to refactor might essentially mean to fix, where the coder didn't want to admit that he had done a pants job in the first place. But it sounds from your explanation that perhaps I was too quick to mock.
Forgive me refactorers!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:39 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:I wonder how much further this work will go before we're on par with the early AI projects, such as ELIZA or PARRY? @azule has already tagged every word as positive or negative (part of the PARRY design). I'd love to have a chOTTerbot...

Ok, let me take that idea and run with it a bit. The way Chatterbot works (as I understand it) is that when you say something to it, it looks through the database of conversations it has had, and pulls up a reply to a previous question that it deems similar. It often seems disjointed because instead of talking naturally to it, people try to get it to say weird or funny things, or try to prove that it's a robot (which it will generally answer by trying to prove the user is a robot, since that's what it's heard people say to it).

But -

We have a dataset of over 80,000 posts, many of which contain replies to other posts, in plain OTTish and relevant to the subject matter at hand. What if we were to create a Cleverbot-like program and train it with the OTT as input?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:46 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:
ggh wrote:Here's a cuppa to go with that cake MistyCat - congrats!
Spoiler:

An unspoilered ch*rp on the cup? What will the neighbours think? Think of the children! Will nobody think of the children?
Spoiler:
I very seldom think of the children.

And, what the Yapposized ch*rp are you doing up at this hour of the night?

Yes, but I'm cheating right now - I'm in New Hampshire with the Little Wonder's daddy's family, so that wasn't really a silly time to be up. This, however, is.

Before I molpy down though: Glad to hear that BlitzGirl and the two smallest wolpies are all good. :)

ETAFD:
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

bftf-0081

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:55 am UTC

Ong.
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by bothasar_p
Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:01 am UTC

taixzo wrote:We have a dataset of over 80,000 posts, many of which contain replies to other posts, in plain OTTish and relevant to the subject matter at hand. What if we were to create a Cleverbot-like program and train it with the OTT as input?

The posts don't always reply to the post above it. Quote detection would help to detect whom the poster was replying to.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:05 am UTC

balthabotandsar, I haven't been able to see your Ongs todip. :(

For decree, Tourbillon Castle, which has some striking crenellation:

taixzo wrote: What if we were to create a Cleverbot-like program and train it with the OTT as input?

Baobabs. :shock: That's quite an idea!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

RABTORMAN, RABTORMAN, DOES WHATEVER A RABTOR CAN

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:45 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Also with good coding practice, you should write your unit tests before coding :P Not many people have good coding practices, though.

I'm not good at figuring out what my code's supposed to do (or where it does it) before I write it :(

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Sounds like your code is seaish - it can do whatever it wants.

For decree, Bunratty Castle:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR STEAKISH TREBUCHATS

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Sounds like your code is seaish - it can do whatever it wants.

For decree, Bunratty Castle:
Spoiler:

The code can but the user can't. I just finished adding:

Code: Select all

def permissionDeniedView(request):
   return HttpResponse("403 permission denied, you can't access that page because reasons")

Link

IT'S A RAPTORCAT. IT'S A MOME. IT'S _SUPERLOOPIST_!

Postby Link » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:35 am UTC

AUTOMOME 3.1 RELEASED

This version brings six new memes and one word from my part, plus more mrob27 ketchup. The "lock template" feature suggested by HES has also been added to the web version; you can find it under Filter settings.

mrob27 wrote:I wonder how much further this work will go before we're on par with the early AI projects, such as ELIZA or PARRY? @azule has already tagged every word as positive or negative (part of the PARRY design). I'd love to have a chOTTerbot...
That would be awesomeful, although I probably won't be able to contribute anything useful to such a project. I have zero AI experience, and I doubt the ~2-3 wips of free Time± before university starts again are going to be remotely sufficient to learn enough.

Unrelatedly and mostly unRELATEDly, my IO m*stard appears to have been fixed by an upgrade from kernel 3.14.4-ck to 3.15.7-gentoo.

AUTOMOME wrote:ONE MOLPY TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE MOLPY TO FIND THEM. ONE MOLPY TO BRING THEM ALL AND IN THE OTC BIND THEM.

±Total free Time, that is. Uni starts the 21st of Deliverance, but I'm somewhat busy this wip, and I'm going camping next wip and will therefore be mostly unproductive.
Knock on semencoffeecancerbaobabbiesonice.

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
HES wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:What castle is this?

Dunure, a riverish tent-collection in Ayrshire on the west coast of Scotland.

Oh, treeish! I've never been there but I've been to Culzean castle which is pretty much next door. Though that's not a true castle, more just a glorified stately home.

Oh, yappope...
More real castles! Preferably ones near you or that you've visited.

The castles nearest me are bouncy castles at the moment. :| However, I've been here:

Spoiler:
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HES

On an island

Postby HES » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:40 am UTC

For decree:
I should probably upload images before posting the links, but that would be far too sensible
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:43 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Well, I for one, would say or write this (actually, I did :) ).
Although your explanation1 is correct, I don't think it's that clear-cut. For example, IMHO it is perfectly fine to say "Wann kommt das Auto?" - "Warte auf es." ("When does the car arrive?" - "Wait for it.").

That's interesting. I've never heard or read that before. My answer to “Wann kommt das Auto?” would probably be „Wart's ab.“ or „Abwarten.“.

In a Google search for „auf es“ almost all hits on the first couple of result pages are just coincidences (one sentence **ding in „auf“, the next one starting with „es“, or similar). There is only one result where „auf es“ is indeed used in the sense we are discussing, and even that comes from an exceptional situation (a history book speaking to the reader, enforcing the neuter „es“ at a position which is usually reserved a for female („sie“) or male („er“) actor).

Hmm… „Wart' mal …“ (= “Wait …”) Image *thinking*

In German, a girl („Mädchen“) is gramatically neuter, too („das Mädchen“), which can cause the very same situation. Replacing that book by a girl, we can construct something like: „Das Mädchen warnte vor der Flut, aber niemand hörte auf es.“ (= “The girl warned about the flood, but nobody listened to her.”)

Okay, that works, but it sounds strange, and – according to Google – it seems that most authors avoid that. One can, for instance, re-phrase the sentence above to: „Das Mädchen warnte vor der Flut, aber niemand hörte auf die Kleine.“ (= “The girl warned about the flood, but nobody listened to the small one.”)

Interesting side-notes:
  • In English “to her” indicates that the girl is female, while in German „auf es“ makes her neuter.
  • In German „die Kleine“ indicates that the girl is female, while in English “the small one” leaves this open.
  • „Die Kleine“ (German) = „The small one“ (English) = «La petite» (French) Image
Nevertheless I didn't find any example where „auf es“ is used for an unspecified „es“ without being substituted by „darauf“.

ZoomanSP wrote:On the other hand, I feel that "Abwarten." as the title text for the OTC wouldn't work (and that is probably what taixzo was looking for).

I don't claim that „Abwarten.“ is a perfect translation of the title text of the OTC, but IMHO it is the best we can come up with.

ZoomanSP wrote:An alternative translation for the First Commandment might be "Warte noch.", which might roughly be translated to "Wait still for it.", and hence additionally includes the Time component.

„Warte noch.“ implies that there will be something after the waiting. The original “Wait for it.“ doesn't imply that.

I agree that the fact that there's no “it” to wait for in „Abwarten.“ is a drawback. „Wart's ab.“ or „Warten Sie es ab.“ has an “it”, but then we must decide whether to use the informal or the formal version.

One can also try to catch the spirit by substituting „Geduld.“ (= “Patience.”). This is a phrase you can say to someone who has not enough patience (for entropy) – which is probably what GLR had in mind when writing down “Wait for it.”. But the same holds for „Abwarten.“ which also preserves the verb “to wait“.

For me, „Abwarten.“ is the best trade-off so far.

Drinking green tea with ginger and grapewinefruit while waiting for it,
trying to attach some for ZoomanSP, Image
luckily stopping *before* pouring the tea over the leopard,

Sustainabilizer

Image: Did you notice the JavaScript the French quotation marks
which are different from both the German and the English ones?

For decree:
Spoiler:
Burg Blankenstein, quite close to The Sustainable University
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am UTC

BlueCrab wrote:
SBN, does your lawn robot giggle when it runs off? I would...

I think it goes, "Wheeee!" since it seems to like going downhill.

Edited due to url change.
Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:05 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:Either way... time for a not-treeish amount of Image since I'm only going back just a few newpages and not the hundreds I've missed. 2000?! GUYS!!!

Spoiler:
Title text: Did I hear “sudo make me a cupcake”?

Redundant:
cuuupcake-2.png

Previous (mustarded) version:
cuuupcake.png
Last edited by SilentTimer on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:„Warte noch.“ implies that there will be something after the waiting. The original “Wait for it.“ doesn't imply that.

What about the "it" we waited for? I think this might be the main difference between the ways you and I interpret the First Commandment. I think that we really waited for something, and were not simply "put on hold". If not, a possible translation might be "Warte...", similar to "Loading..." when booting a hotdog for example.

Sustainabilizer wrote:In German, a girl („Mädchen“) is gramatically neuter, too („das Mädchen“), which can cause the very same situation. Replacing that book by a girl, we can construct something like: „Das Mädchen warnte vor der Flut, aber niemand hörte auf es.“ (= “The girl warned about the flood, but nobody listened to her.”)

I didn't want to bring up "Mädchen" due to the gender confusion, but it is indeed a better example. Yet for the sake of the following argument, let's use "das Kind" ("the child", grammatically neuter in German, too). That's similar to what I thought of when translating to "Warte auf es." Let's assume the following situation: A little boy waits for Santa Clause to bring presents. A dialouge with the parents could be:

"Wann kommt der Weihnachtsmann?" (implizierend: "Ich will meine Geschenke haben.") - "Warte auf ihn." (implizierend: "Er kommt bald, und dann bekommst du deine Geschenke.")
("When does Santa Clause arrive?" (implying: "I want to have my presents.") - "Wait for him." (implying: "He'll arrive soon, and then you'll get your presents.")

Now, in some regions in Germany and elsewhere, instead of Santa Clause, the "Christkind" (grammatically neuter) brings the presents. So if we substitute "Weihnachtsmann" with "Christkind", we get:

"Wann kommt das Christkind?" (implizierend: "Ich will meine Geschenke haben.") - "Warte auf es." (implizierend: "Es kommt bald, und dann bekommst du deine Geschenke.")
("When does the Christkind arrive?" (implying: "I want to have my presents.") - "Wait for it." (implying: "It'll arrive soon, and then you'll get your presents.") (sidenote: whether the biological gender of the Christkind is male or female is not resolved, AFAIK.)

So, here we have "Wait for it." as a valid answer, I think. And although we didn't wait for something specific (that we knew of), I think you could use "it" to describe this very thing (unspecific as it is) we were waiting for.

Waiting for the attached tea to download, :)
ZoomanSP
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:What about the "it" we waited for? I think this might be the main difference between the ways you and I interpret the First Commandment. I think that we really waited for something, and were not simply "put on hold". If not, a possible translation might be "Warte...", similar to "Loading..." when booting a hotdog for example.

I agree, but I'd still not put the „es“ into „auf es“, but either drop it („Abwarten.“) or use something like „wart's ab“. The word combination „auf es“ is just so unusual that it can only applied in a context¹. In a standalone phrase² like „Warte auf es.“ it just looks like a too verbatim translation, even if it has in fact been chosen with great care.
ZoomanSP wrote:"Wann kommt das Christkind?" (implizierend: "Ich will meine Geschenke haben.") - "Warte auf es." (implizierend: "Es kommt bald, und dann bekommst du deine Geschenke.")
("When does the Christkind arrive?" (implying: "I want to have my presents.") - "Wait for it." (implying: "It'll arrive soon, and then you'll get your presents.")

Yes, this is a context where „auf es“ makes sense. But even then I'd prefer „Wart's ab.“ (where the „'s“ refers to the event of the appearance of the Christkind rather than to the Christkind xemself) because using „auf es“ would put an empasis on the „es“ and thus on the Christkind's neuter (grammatical) gender – something I try to avoid.
ZoomanSP wrote:Waiting for the attached tea to download, :)

Be careful! It might flood your leopard, and it might still be hot!

Cheers,
Sustainabilizer
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”