1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:...Similarly, to make a trebuchet you first make four Megans (2 points each = 8 points) then you make two castles from the Megans (4 points twice), then make the trebuchet (8 points). You got 8+8+8=24 points out of 8 Cueball tiles...
Yes, you acquire that many total points. But of those points, you only made 8 from that final merge. And it took 8 moves... more or less.

So the number of points "in" a tile would be moves x (1+log2), but the point value of the tile would be moves x 1. (in a perfect game). Each cuegan gets re-counted every time a tile which "includes" it is merged. Yes?

Mrob27 wrote:There is no shame, or implication of "cheating" in a non-competitive solitaire game.
Perhaps for games, but this is sacred communion. :) I am not short on boosts; I did start getting thin on cueballs at one point (I used them to consolodate, and was a bit profligate), but a little rationing got me through, and I learned to wait for it.

Have you ever tried running a chirpbot? How well does it pray? (I used chirp twice; once it made a nice move, and once it ended the game. Maybe it's wiser than we give it credit for! :) )

btw, what is the 1.xxxx in the save string (before the snakes and the cueballs)?

mrob27 wrote:In the interest of science, for a limited time only, (provided your Q04B version is 12149 or later), the hotdog now logs all of its new Cuegan coordinates to the JavaScript console. Here is an example from my browser, Chrome 36.0.xxx:
I'm going to have to update - I have 12143.30. Isn't it supposed to update itself? It updated itself. :)

The cueball square depends of course on the available squares... how do you take the random number and generate a coordinate? (It might be useful to include the actual random number generated. FOR SCIENCE.)

btw, I love the Monks of the Sacred Order of the Holy Contradiction assembly of Lego(R) brand interlocking bricks! Are they doing the DRLU pattern, or the DLUR pattern? Or maybe after doing it enough, the BLUR pattern.

mrob27 wrote:I suggest you take advantage of it: Since you know where the next tile is likely to appear, choose your move accordingly. If it turns out not to be as predictable as you expected, you'll soon realize that
Actually, I do do that. A long series of LLLLL or RRRRR with cueballs all coming from the same place is often handy.

That is one seaish battery Balthartist! It would probably power my smoke detector for a thousand lifetimes, and keep it from ch*rping.

My first digital watch was nondescript; a freebie I got recently, but my first interesting watch dates from college. It was an analog windup alarm watch, and I loved it. It kept excellent time, and I could feel the vibrations of the alarm in a noisy environment. I used it constantly. Some years back it developed a bit of mustard (it would on rare occasions just stop) and no watchmaker could fix it reliably. Now there are clocks in everything and I don't wear a watch. It's ok, I'm always on Time. :)

BlitzGirl wrote:I summon kenmelken and patzer, if they're in hearing range...
They are trying to get out of the basement, but are trapped in the staircase you posted!

macraw83 wrote:I just finished miniBlitzing The Case of the Little River. I'm kinda sad that it seems to have trailed off... I wonder if CD will complete the story some day?
Yes, I'm also Waiting For It.

ChronosDragon - Love the Pun Sawyer book cover!

pelrigg - Hi! Welcome back! I also have a limited number of brain cells - three, but only two operate at any given time. This provides redundancy.

ChronosDragon wrote:In general, the complexity of a piece of software is strictly increasing with Time.[...] a developer adds a new feature, or fixes a bug with a recent one. The old feature breaks.[...]the old features cause the program to be slow[...]
There is great wisdom contained herein. But I also think part of it relates to the difference between "how it works" and "how to work it". People seem to be more interested in the latter, and that works to the software vendor's advantage.

My biggest recent gripe is the Unity (is that what they call it?) desktop in Ubuntu 12.x. It makes me feel trapped; I much prefer the old one where I could actually have multple separate desktops. So I went back to the old desktop. I'm glad it's available; I just want to know what the developers were smoking when they though "no, you don't want separate desktops, you want them all joined together so that you can't escape, and you never know where you are, and you can't isolate anything any more".

Seems I'm Pope - Decree: tales about your favorite vanished feature.

edit 1: noted that my prayerbook updated itself. edit 2: Noting that I made edit 1. And edit 2. Redundancy is molpish, but recursion is like recursion. Edit 3: fix edit explanation mustard. Seems recursion which is like recursion is like recursion.

Jose
Last edited by ucim on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

balthasar_s

bftf-0104

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 am UTC

Ong.
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
-- posted by newpixbothasar_p
Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:10 am UTC

Where are the batteries going?

ucim wrote:Have you ever tried running a chirpbot?

...that sounds naughty. :P

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I summon kenmelken and patzer, if they're in hearing range...
They are trying to get out of the basement, but are trapped in the staircase you posted!

Oh m*stard, I didn't know the basement had Escher stairs! No wonder the basementees can't get out. Maybe we should go on an expedition to fix those stairs. Although...if the stairs look like that, I'd be afraid of heading into a House of Leaves scenario right in our own basement.

ucim wrote: Decree: tales about your favorite vanished feature.

Well, since Google was brought up, I like many things about the new Maps for web browsers, but I hate the loss of the Traffic overlay feature...it only seems to show up as an option after you have selected "Directions" now, and I liked being able to toggle the overlay to see the traffic in my general vicinity.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

macraw83

Q04B

Postby macraw83 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 am UTC

So, I was going to molpy down for the night, but against my better judgement I decided to finally get around to Q04B. I've gotten this far in the last half nopix:

Spoiler:

It goes without saying this is now my favorite 2048 clone. At first, I was gonna come on here and ask how to get colored tiles, but then I [spoiler]ed and got the Flutterbee boost, which was molpish. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 2048 strategy seems to work pretty well, despite most people saying they found best results with certain patterns that involved going around the board or something. (My strategy discussion spoilered below in case you wish to avoid it.)

Spoiler:
I've found it best to pick one direction (right) as my primary direction, which I probably use 80+% of the time, and a secondary direction perpendicular to it (down) that I use probably 18% of the time, and then go the opposite perpendicular direction (up) when neither of the first two give any options, with a few deviations from that to maintain certain patterns on the board (such as keeping the rightmost column full). This way, you keep your highest-value tile tucked away in a corner, and in general the rightmost column ends up being high-value tiles in order for molpish cascades. Somewhere around here I have screenshots from before and after I got a 64k tile on "practice mode" on 2048 by snaking everything up and down columns and cascaded everything all at once, which felt like an accomplishment unto itself.

For decree:

Facebook has decided that I want 2 separate apps, which I don't. I want one single app where I can read messages and view profiles and such. I guess they figure that messaging adds RAM and CPU usage to the base app, but my phone is now over 2 yips old and doesn't seem to get bogged down by much of anything that I throw at it. At this point I'm tempted to just get rid of both apps and use Facebook less altogether. (For the record, my name is not Adrian, that's just the best picture Google found for me)

BlitzGirl wrote:Well, since Google was brought up, I like many things about the new Maps for web browsers, but I hate the loss of the Traffic overlay feature...it only seems to show up as an option after you have selected "Directions" now, and I liked being able to toggle the overlay to see the traffic in my general vicinity.
All you have to do is type "traffic" into the search bar where you'd normally type an address and it pops up like you should. There's also a button for it right under the search bar in a box titled "Getting Around". Or at least there is for me.

Now, if you were looking for an establishment called "Traffic", I'm not sure how that would work.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Q04B 1.PNG
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:09 am UTC

Thanks, macraw! That's treeish. :) Will come in handy!
(But when I enter a location the traffic disappears. I still miss the "layer" togglebox feature.)

105ONG:

Congrats balthasketch on making over 100 of these so far!

(Edit to update balthadomain.)
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Re: THE VITSSÅGEN STOPS HERE

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:25 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
balthawsomecoder wrote: @mrob27, I know you wanted to help with it but:
  • You have been busy with your Q04B, automome, etc. and I didn't want to disturb.
  • It's more fun if I do it myself and learn something.
I think your solution is brilliant, and it's great that you have done it with Awk. Having looked at your code, I think mine probably would have been simpler and less accurate.
  Or perhaps not... I always thought the BBcode translation used a set of independent flags ("bold-is-on", "italics-is-on", etc.), and did not try to parse the nested structure, leading to nested tag mustard, like you get if you do "{b}bold {i}and italic {/b} oops{/i}"

{b}bold {i}and italic {/b} oops{/i}
bold and italic oops

{b}bold {i}and italic {/i} good{/b}
bold and italic oops

These seem to preview the same, because the "{b}" and "{i}" are both turned into "span" tags with the "{/b}" and "{/i}" both turned into identical "/span"s.
  Anyway, since you're parsing the tree properly, you should detect these errors and tell the user to fix the nested tags before submitting the post!
Some of the tags do look like they are indeed flag based. But not all of them. How phpBB decides where to close a code tag with unmatched code tags inside is still kind of magic to me.
Yes, warnings are good. I already have some of them. If you type {quote=???}LEML{/quote} instead of {quote=''???''}LEML{/quote} you'll get
You forgot about the quote marks, ??? wrote:LEML
in the preview.
If you type {b=some value}some text{/b} you'll get This tag shouldn't have a value. some text in the preview.
If you type {size=aaa?}some text{/size} you'll get This tag should have a correct value. some text in the preview.
The mismatched tags will not only mustard themselves but also all of the tags they're part of.
If you type this: {quote=''???''}LEML. {b}bold {i}and italic{/b} oops.{/i} {u}underlined{/u}{/quote} you'll get this in the preview:
{quote=''???''}LEML. {b}bold and italic{/b} oops. underlined{/quote}
That's because it'l ignore the {/b} while looking for {/i}. And then it'll look for {/b} but won't find it because it was already ignored.

Code: Select all

<!-- bb2html.awk:

Build BBcode tree:
tag: [quote="???"]
name: quote value: "???"
text: LEML.
tag: [b]
name: b value:
text: bold
tag: [i]
name: i value:
text: and italic
tag: [/b]
name: b
mismatched: i
text:  oops.
tag: [/i]
name: i
matched
text: 
tag: [u]
name: u value:
text: underlined
tag: [/u]
name: u
matched
tag: [/quote]
name: quote
mismatched: b
unclosed tags: 2

generate HTML:
name: post value: Re:&#32;1190:&#32;&#34;Time&#34; elements: 1
entering tag:
name: quote value: "???" elements: 2
unmatched
text: LEML.
entering tag:
name: b value:  elements: 5
unmatched
text: bold
entering tag:
name: i value:  elements: 4
text: and italic
text: [/b]
text:  oops.
leaving tag:
name: i value:
text: 
entering tag:
name: u value:  elements: 2
text: underlined
leaving tag:
name: u value:
text: [/quote]
run out of elements in this tag; leaving
run out of elements in this tag; leaving
done -->

I can change it so that it would still close the tag even if it's mismatched but not mark that it was matched so that it will be treated as text. (ETA: done) The same example would then look like this:
??? wrote:LEML. {b}bold {i}and italic{/b} oops.{/i} underlined

Easier to find where the mustard comes from.

But then this:
[/b]

will become mustard while in phpBB it doesn't. Hmm. But still better.

Also, the bbcode to html conversion is done after it's decided if the post should be submitted or sent back to preview.

ETA: Also, the checkboxen "Disable BBCode", "Disable smilies" and "Do not automatically parse URLs" actually have an effect of hom my conversion code works.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:35 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:43 am UTC

ucim wrote:ChronosDragon - Love the Pun Sawyer book cover!

Thanks, and to BlitzGirl as well. Took a surprising amount of photoshop juice :P

ucim wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:In general, the complexity of a piece of software is strictly increasing with Time.[...] a developer adds a new feature, or fixes a bug with a recent one. The old feature breaks.[...]the old features cause the program to be slow[...]
There is great wisdom contained herein. But I also think part of it relates to the difference between "how it works" and "how to work it". People seem to be more interested in the latter, and that works to the software vendor's advantage.

Most of the time a given user will not know everything that a program can do. In fact, unless they've been on the project since it began, many times a developer will not either.

Other times, management will say "make it faster!" and the programmer will say "make what faster? the code execution? the user experience flow? the animations?" and management, not knowing any of these terms, will say something about AGILE development practices or synergistic work ethic.

Which leaves the developer to remove some stuff they guess and they take out a feature or optimize away someone's workflow.

That's a dramatization but probably not too dissimilar to what actually happens sometimes.

ucim wrote:My biggest recent gripe is the Unity (is that what they call it?) desktop in Ubuntu 12.x. It makes me feel trapped; I much prefer the old one where I could actually have multple separate desktops. So I went back to the old desktop. I'm glad it's available; I just want to know what the developers were smoking when they though "no, you don't want separate desktops, you want them all joined together so that you can't escape, and you never know where you are, and you can't isolate anything any more".

The nice thing about linux is all the desktops. I was running the Cinnamon desktop on Ubuntu for a while. Or you could go whole hog and switch to Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu anyway.

Chances are, though, there's a simple boolean switch somewhere in the Unity settings, maybe not GUI accessible, that restores it. Other users are probably in the same boat as you. A search may reveal them.[/quote]

ucim wrote:Seems I'm Pope - Decree: tales about your favorite vanished feature.

iTunes version 10 had a neat thing called iTunes DJ, which could create continuous playlists from your library. It also could play higher rated songs, more frequently. Also, it could be controlled remotely from an iPhone. I quite liked this feature.

Then in version 11, they removed it. You can still create continuous playlists, but it ignores ratings. And I don't think it has the remote control feature any more. I haven't checked in a while. I downgraded back to version 10 where I've stayed for a long time.

ucim wrote:Jose

I find it amusing how you always sign off, even though that's expressly what the signature box is for, technically. I knew another person who did this on a phpBB forum, except they would always use "Cheers," in front of it. All the time, even on one-word replies. Perhaps it personalizes the message. Shows that you care. I prefer to show that through content, when I can, but that's just my personal way of doing things.

Good internet viewing and many successful web searches,
ChronosDragon

azule
Saved

BlindPost NP2058 - Sorry for yapping so much. Not yappoing.

Postby azule » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:43 am UTC

Wow, so jealous of changes in Automomes. Mostly aimed at mrob (because he explained his changes well). I'm not even close to all this modularity. *sits back in front of automome basement*

mrob27 wrote:@azule has already tagged every word as positive or negative (part of the PARRY design).
Yeah, I did that because of how the AuthorMemes work...not having really dealt with OtherMemes wouldn't those benefit more from having a positive/negative distinction? Neat to know that I started the work for a PARRY thing, the AI, I presume. Your word 'tag', I think that actually might make more sense for making up the word list. A word could then be 'positive', 'large', 'intangible', etc. Well, I'll get started on this 'dictionary' with word meanings. ;) Yeah, lofty thinking, again.

mrob "I don't think this is what most people mean by refactoring" - I don't know who this most is but I also agree with that definition. Rekajigger, if you will. ;) It's like remaking because you'll eventually make it better. It's purpose is nonredundant but it's action is fully redundant. lol. :)

taixzo wrote:We have a dataset of over 80,000 posts, many of which contain replies to other posts, in plain OTTish and relevant to the subject matter at hand. What if we were to create a Cleverbot-like program and train it with the OTT as input?
It would sound like it had multiple-personality disorder. We don't exactly talk all the same. It would still end up funny. But it wouldn't be it's own personality. I get what you're saying, for how to train it, and that sounds like a good idea.

ED "I'm not good at figuring out what my code's supposed to do (or where it does it) before I write it :(" - Predicting the future is hard. Restricting oneself to one possible future seems a bit cruel. I mean, I agree, sorta.

ST's #757 - Val's hair is wild. I'm not sure I get the 2nd and 3rd frames. Did you become a cupcake? Did Val turn you into a cupcake and then basement herself?

Link "I've only managed to add six new memes. Sort of disappointing" - I wouldn't call that disappointing. If I add a meme it's because I already had it and now it's ready. I think I've added maybe 4 memes since a small chunk of OTTMemes I added after I first released OTToMeme. The rest, about 7, were just "revealed". But yes, 6 is just for this time. How many do you have now? I think I have, like, 65.

N_B - Thanks for the electronics' buzz explanation. I wouldn't say that I have any good hearing (due to loud music) but I hear a lot of buzzing or low rumbles from different devices. I hear/feel the low rumble of cars and movement in the house, where my girlfriend says she hears nothing. Other times I hadn't heard what she hears. It's a mystery.

_s "I'm still kind of afraid about it, but as you see I'm drawing them anyway. Yesterday I had some frames that were difficult to draw and I (figuratively) can't wait until you see them." - I think that a lot of us feel that way. When I have a long project it just doesn't feel the same in the middle as at the beginning. I start to worry that I'm exerting more effort than is being consumed with appreciative eyes. The wait for it philosophy requires the doer (the one telling others to wait for it) to continue on without worrying about the feedback (or lack thereof). I look forward to your drawings even as I don't know where it's heading (besides recursion). Keep it up. Maybe do an OTTerComic if you'd like feedback on a single completed work.

ST wrote:So I'm not the only one struggling to get new frames ready in Time.
(As opposed to: having all of them ready when it starts.)
You must have already known that to be true. I recall Waveney talking about his cache and what he still had to do. And there's myself. I wasn't even done with the story, not to mention the frames themselves. And lastly, on just the frames topic, there's GLR himself. He was so not breezing through Time.

mrob "So automeme now checks each randomly-picked word, and tries again if it gets the same word twice." - Funny history, I thought I had that feature in place from the beginning. I finally fixed that at some point. Mine does it infinitely (probably bad). Do you think 7 is a high enough number of times? I'd think more like 70 or 700 might be a good outer limit. I see what you're saying about allowing redundancy. If it's not required (a $0 situation) then it's simply "allowed". Maybe, in terms of coding it, it'd be best just to add it in as [noun, $0], where there's the non-redundant first, but the chance of it matching the same in the second position. Therefore, no coding change needed, just template adjustment. Or for coding fun, change it to [!noun] for when it shouldn't match a previous [noun], otherwise it'd allow redundancy.

mrob27 "This might be the "super-template" that @azule referred to recently" - Mystery is good. Until it's revealed. Yes, actually. It's listed in the comments of my template file, actually. Now I will go cry 27 tears, for not getting this implemented before y'all. Well, I hadn't done any work on it (due to adjusting code and fixing templates before proceeding with new lofty features), actually.

Okay, I'll try to just continue on. *struggles to molpy up* It's wowterful stuff, of course. It is essentially what I was going to do. Kudos.

ZmSP - Subtle OTThercomic. I like your ending better.

gingercat "Dean Koontz (which reminds me of one of my all-time fave books, super recommended: "Watchers")" - Ooh, awesomeful, that's my fave book of his, too! :)

"If you see her, say hi." - yappo can just say hi to every girl he sees. I'm sure that's what he was going to do anyways. ;) If not, he should. "Hi, are you friends with a hamply? No? Would you like to be?" (I don't know that that means anything, but it made me laugh.) "Okay, how about an otter?" (Yes, lowercase.)

*wolpish thoughts for LWFP*

Wowbabbish find, Angelastic!

"if there's anything in the last 500 np" - Honestly, I don't know. To say what's important to someone else is difficult. To say what's important to myself and therefore should be shared, that's a little bit easier. It's just that I'm not good with arbitrary spans of time. Maybe I'm thinking of something that happened 501 np ago. Maybe you do know of something cool (that was ongoing) and never finished it. Well, just finish those, at least. Maybe the best advice is to peruse the wiki and take the Time travel links when you find something new and intriguing, then peruse the OTT from that point and get a little Lost up in it. (Yeah, I capped Lost...the show. I've never seen it. But it's RELATED.)

mrob27 wrote:@azule's OTToMeme is closer to mine in design and in the meme-definition language, but I'm not sure if it supports chains of regular expressions in a single manipulation; if not you'd have to break them up into single regexes using the replaceable history variables to chain one result onto another.
I don't know what you just said, except: It doesn't support chains of regex in the template form, only in the javascript file itself (where you could define a multichain regex to execute). I might as well ask you, as you usually explain plainly and technically, what is this Turing-complete thing? I've read about it before but nothing has stuck in my mind.

"But there are two @Angelastic posts in the late 1600's and three in the late 1800's." - Maybe she meant newpix, as noted by lowercase. What's 500np ago in NP?

Welcome to the present, macraw1\!! (I can't type symbols.)
*peeks at sneak peek* I see a grid of Time frames in random order, not in panorama form. What could the possible use of Time in grid form be...? *waits for it*

Edit: converted appreciation to appreciative.
Last edited by azule on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

SilentTimer

Re: BlindPost NP2058 - Sorry for yapping so much. Not yappoi

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 am UTC

Hi, pelrigg! Thanks for the welcome! Image
azule wrote:ST's #757 - Val's hair is wild. I'm not sure I get the 2nd and 3rd frames. Did you become a cupcake? Did Val turn you into a cupcake and then basement herself?
Val turned me into a cupcake and left.
Maybe she rebasemented herself, but I hope she's off for Blitzing.
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:58 am UTC

I wonder if we have any blitzers hiding in the basement yet continuing to blitz?
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

azule
Saved

KETCHUPPED NP2060

Postby azule » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:02 am UTC

Thanks for explaining that, ST.

pelrigg - I like those t-shirt slogans. One can have a wolf and the other a vampire. ;) (I post as much if not more than lmjb and others..but I'm not heart blood? Fine, I'll presume you think I'm heart semen. :P )

@mrob27 wrote:# Anyone care to track down the origins of this one?
WELL CH*RP ME [adverb] WITH [noun-singular-article]
I get
Spoiler:
well fuck me gently with a chainsaw
with a google wildcard search. No other meme history that I can find. Nothing on KnowYourMeme. TVTropes has the info that it's from Heathers, a movie. Since this is a cult classic that is probably the origin of the meme. How far back do you worry to trace the history of the phrases, mrob?

Oh yeah, thanks for finding the BL- meme origins. That one just perplexed me. And now I know of a cool old show.

Edited in two meme comments.
Edit: Updated info on meme.
Last edited by azule on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

I WEAR A MIP NOW. MIPS ARE COOL.

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 am UTC

Hi. I ketched up. It was molpish.

I can't think of something for the decree off the top of my head, but I have an opposite: a feature I accidentally discovered just the other dip. In Ubuntu, if i put the cursor over an icon in the taskbar, it fast-switches (with no animation) between all windows of that application that are open. If there's only one window, it insta-focuses. Saves a lot of clicking!
I found it by accident because I keep leaving my mouse where my arm brushes the scrollwheel while I'm leoparding, and it's a raptorish wheel that doesn't click at all.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

balthasar_s

bftf-0106

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

Ong.
Spoiler:
-- posted by newpixbothasar_p

Edited to update URL
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

BalthONG 107

Postby mscha » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:03 pm UTC

Probably buildONG an internet connection so they can properly
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Let's see if that debasements Corinne...
Last edited by mscha on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: BlindPost NP2058 - Sorry for yapping so much. Not yappoi

Postby SBN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

azule wrote:*wolpish thoughts for LWFP*

Thanks.
For current decree, it's not really a feature, its a whole site that's going away. We had a private family website set up, but the company that ran it has decided it isn't in their core business, so they are turning it off. Now we need to find a new home.

For a long-past decree suggestion:
Spoiler:
020.JPG
Toes in the sea (big)

Pacific Ocean, Lincoln City, OR. Today, sunrise-ish

Other related photos:
Spoiler:
D_River.jpg
The river is small.

021.JPG
Castle

Yeah, that's pathetic, it was cold out, sue me.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Newpix equilibrium

Postby HES » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:in Maps you can no longer enter/leave street view by simply scrolling the mouse wheel, you have to actually drag the person onto the road or physically click the exit button
THIS!
macraw83 wrote:Facebook has decided that I want 2 separate apps, which I don't.
ALSO THIS!

macraw83 wrote:ETA: Goat. Apparently I had a full 1/4 of the posts on this page. I think I did this last time I was at least partially Present, too. I should really work on that.
It's not my fault, really. There's just so much treeish stuff to comment on in the Now.

This happens to me a lot. It's also a sign that others aren't posting so much :(

pelrigg wrote:@ HES: Have a great and steakish holidip.

I did :D However:

HOLIDIP MODE TERMINATED

DISSERTATION MODE REINSTATED

-  SUBMISSION DEADLINE:  12 DIPS
 -     BINDING DEADLINE:   6 DIPS
 -    PERSONAL DEADLINE:   5 DIPS

Framework completion: 95%
Submission completion: 10%
chirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirpchirp
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

Ketchup!

BlitzGirl wrote:Thanks, macraw! That's treeish. :) Will come in handy!
(But when I enter a location the traffic disappears. I still miss the "layer" togglebox feature.)

Actually, it looks like if you leave "traffic" in the search bar when searching for localities, it shows you traffic. (I think Google uses "Traffic near Albany, NY", for example, as the logic behind it.) But even then you still can't search for specific locations while having traffic up, for example, "traffic near pizzerias in Albany, NY". I agree, that is disappointing.

@baltdebugger: I'm not sure if this is useful information at all, but I discovered another level to the "phpBB replaces [b] and [i] with <span> tags and [/b] and [/i] with </span> tags" discovery: it only replaces those tags if it finds a match to that particular BBcode tag, so that "[b]bold[/i]" doesn't become "bold" but rather stays "[b]bold[/i]". Never mind, as I was typing that out it became apparent to me that this was, in fact, the obvious behavior, because as we've all noticed it can tell that there are unclosed tags. But I'm gonna leave this here because I still get to call you baltdebugger.

azule wrote:Welcome to the present, macraw1\!! (I can't type symbols.)
That's ok, I'm fairly certain I'm the only "macraw" on these boards.

azule wrote:*peeks at sneak peek* I see a grid of Time frames in random order, not in panorama form. What could the possible use of Time in grid form be...? *waits for it*
All will be revealed in due Time ;)

HES wrote:
macraw83 wrote:in Maps you can no longer enter/leave street view by simply scrolling the mouse wheel, you have to actually drag the person onto the road or physically click the exit button
THIS!
macraw83 wrote:Facebook has decided that I want 2 separate apps, which I don't.
ALSO THIS!
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Good luck on your dissertation!

ETA: I see on my OTT Terraria server that an IP address in Germany attempted to connect twice with no success. I assume that was one of you?

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

pelrigg

Re: KETCHUPPED NP2060

Postby pelrigg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

azule wrote:
pelrigg - I like those t-shirt slogans. One can have a wolf and the other a vampire. ;) (I post as much if not more than lmjb and others..but I'm not heart blood? Fine, I'll presume you think I'm heart semen. :P )

Well, chr*p me with a chainsaw. When you see one of my posts (especially one with a list of OTTers), please take into account my comments on how many brain cells are functioning. I'm always afraid when I make one of my lists that I'll miss someone and they'll think I being mean (or something) to them. I'm sorry I missed you in my greetings :oops:. I'm just a bad, bad molpy. To be truthful, when I made last nip's post I only did a three or four page back-blitz to see if there was anybody I missed (and I just remembered TheMinim as somebody I should have said "Hi' to). (Now let me guess, you were there and I still missed you. ...*sigh*...) As for me not knowing the current posting rank, since December till mid-July I've probably been on-line 10 to 12 times and I didn't check in here every time I was webbing... (That's my story.... I'm sticking to it. :mrgreen: )
To make a long story short (too late), my "hearts blood" comment applies to ALLLL who have posted more than me. But if you want to think of yourself as "heart's semen", be my guest :P .

For the decree:
[vent] At "Classmates" it seems like every time they update the site they make it more difficult to find your graduating class. It used to be, you only needed one click to get to "your" class. The last time I was there, I needed several clicks to find my school, then I had to set search parameters to narrow it down to my class and then they didn't alphabetize the names properly (they had "M's" under "M" and "M's" mixed in with the "O's" type of thing.) And they also decided to sell ad-space for every open spot on the page, with the ads changing every 4 seconds, which (of course) had to be loaded before any information you wanted to see. Which meant that if you clicked on the wrong spot, you'd end up someplace you didn't want to go.
Needless to say I don't go back there very often. [/vent]

Edit after submit:

@ SBN Thanks for the trip pictures. I hope your job search (am I remembering right?) goes steakish.
@ HES Sorry to hear your trip was canceled. As for your dissertation, break a leg. (check with lmjboops, she'll tell you that that's good.)
And I see your next post will be a centi-post. Congrats. {Yet another time I wished my google-fu was even a tenth of a certain OTTer who wears a boa and has the initials BlitzGirl.}
@ BlitzGirl Thanks for the t-shirt manip. As usual your right there with an appropriate image.

Also for decree: (positive note)
Yesterdip I discovered if you type something for a reply and want to add superscript or underline (or pretty much any thing,) after the fact, all you have to do is highlight it and click the button and what you highlighted will show up in-between the [][/] markers. (Or does everyone all ready know that?)

EDIT #??:
Hmmm... this is beginning to look like one of those posts I'll end editing in stuff until someone posts after me......

oopsTemporal Edit:
Spoiler:
ED will have something to say on this matter here shortly]
Last edited by pelrigg on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote:At "Classmates" it seems like every time they update the site they make it more difficult to find your graduating class. It used to be, you only needed one click to get to "your" class.
Maybe there are getting to be too many classes, and they are optimizing the layer-depth vs. list-length balance?

[quote=:"ChronosDragon"]I find it amusing how you always sign off, even though that's expressly what the signature box is for, technically. I knew another person who did this on a phpBB forum, except they would always use "Cheers," in front of it. All the time, even on one-word replies. Perhaps it personalizes the message. Shows that you care. I prefer to show that through content, when I can, but that's just my personal way of doing things.[/quote]This came up on anOther Board (the spoiler near the bottom, reproduced in the spoiler below)
Spoiler:
I have always manually signed my posts with my real first name. It's a habit from BBS days, and I'm disinclined to change it for a number of reasons. The first thing to consider is that not all online discussion venues offer the same signature capabilities. I have a different username on different services, but only one real first name. While for "official" use where an unambiguous ID is needed (such as a quote tag) the "offical" username should be used, by signing a post with my real name, I invite you to use it informally. It's a form of
"Yes, Mr. Atemachi."
"You can call me Bill."

It's also an affirmative "I'm Jose and I approve this message" (as opposed to the passive version which would appear in a machine sig).

It's also my way of saying "Message complete" (But I've mustarded that up on occasion).

In any case, I kind of feel like my post is naked if I don't personally sign it. :)
macraw83 - "singverre"? I'm afraid I am suffering from SBDS*. Still no clue.

*Seaish Braincastle Density Syndrome.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: KETCHUPPED NP2060

Postby SBN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

pelrigg wrote: @ SBN Thanks for the trip pictures. I hope your job search (am I remembering right?) goes steakish.

You're remembering right. So far I'm mostly trying to convince a job to come looking for me, and I'm making decent progress in that regard. Turns out I had an interview last month for the opening that was posted this week. And oddly enough, my skills match the requirements very well.
So, thanks to everyone for their good thoughts, hopefully I'll have everything sorted out very soon. (On the funding wolpy-food front, at least. We do have other assorted life-m*stard still getting sorted out.)

@ucim, you might try gnisrever instead.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

ucim wrote:macraw83 - "singverre"? I'm afraid I am suffering from SBDS*. Still no clue.

*Seaish Braincastle Density Syndrome.
Look at the syllables in "singverre" (or at least what you'd expect the syllables to be phonetically). And also keep in mind that it's a similar transformation as "Bookface", and I'll give you a little hint:

Spoiler:
Bookface (when transformed) is a popular social media site.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:...is a popular social media site.
Aaah. It's so much out of my consciousness. But it turns out I didn't only have to singverre, I had to do it again. But I guess redundancy goes without saying. :)

Jose

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:36 pm UTC

Awesomeful pictures, SBN! Lincoln City is one of my favorite places to vacation, been going there every few yips since I was a riverish molpy myself. And you're right - the river is small! :D

pelrigg wrote:Yesterdip I discovered if you type something for a reply and want to add superscript or underline (or pretty much any thing,) after the fact, all you have to do is highlight it and click the button and what you highlighted will show up in-between the [][/] markers. (Or does everyone all ready know that?)

I didn't realize this for a long, long Time - my earlier otting didn't use this trick at all. So you're not the only one! :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:44 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Then in version 11, they removed it. You can still create continuous playlists, but it ignores ratings. And I don't think it has the remote control feature any more. I haven't checked in a while. I downgraded back to version 10 where I've stayed for a long time.

There's an app called Remote with which you can control everything in iTunes from an iPad. I haven't tried it on an iPhone.

By the way, here is another evil clicker toy. It is not c**kies, and it is not castles, but the thing you click looks like a metaphorical castle I helped build before I left it and floated around homeless for a while before landing and seeing what's through here. So I like it.

And I know it's late, but here are some treeish stairs:

Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

Edited due to url change.
Last edited by SBN on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Some Ways to Time

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:57 pm UTC

Treeish stairs indeed, Angelastic!

For decree: This might sound quaint, but I miss the old MSN Messenger. Nostalgia's sake, mostly...it was a seaish part of my tweenage yips. Image Skype just doesn't quite have the same charm for me.

Tweenage Yips is a poppy single by the band perpetual fiancéship? actually.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish stairs indeed, Angelastic!

For decree: This might sound quaint, but I miss the old MSN Messenger. Nostalgia's sake, mostly...it was a seaish part of my tweenage yips. Image Skype just doesn't quite have the same charm for me.

Gosh, I haven't used MSN messenger since my elementary school years. That program was The M*stard, yo.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Image

Ha! I'm experiencing a wave of nostalgia.

Did I ever say hello to Angelastic? No, I don't think so. Hi Angelastic, and pelrigg.

balthasar_s

THEY SEE ME SUSTAINABILIZIN', THEY PUNSAWIN'

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

bothasar_p just met the autoONGomome. Let's see what happens next.

I accidentally used the wrong parameter when colorreducing my ongs, and some of them were reconverted to the 4-color CGA #0 palette. The result was interesting. I can't show it because spoilers.
I also found the perfect 8-color palette I've been looking for the whole time.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

109ONG:

Baobabs, looks complicated.

Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

BECAUSE YOU ARE _YAPPOCISED RHINOCEROLPY_

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Angelastic: I played that particle clicker hotdog for a little while, until it got very unraptorish and I got bored with it.
pelrigg: Who is imjb?
BlitzGirl: The old MSN Messenger reminds me of a silly time of my life when I had a long-distance relationship.
That was rather steambottlish, when I think about it. (So was MSN Messenger).
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Ingenious Molpies Juggle Baobabs

Postby HES » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

Beyond equilibriUNG

HES, via bookface, wrote:I'm going to let my post count sit at the holy number for a while, mostly so that I get some important work done.

For those who expressed concern, "a while" never means more than a few nopix when it involves staying away from this place. Todips work checkbox is checked.

Eternal Density wrote:Who is imjb?

Igneous meteors jumble beaches?
Ivan Makes James Blush
I Might Just Burst
In My Jolly Breeches*
Inferred Meaning Justifies Babbling
Internal Motors Jiggle Batteries

*in my pants

Given the time, I'll Molpy Justly Below.
penis
He/Him/His Image

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Treeish stairs indeed, Angelastic!

Gosh, I haven't used MSN messenger since my elementary school years. That program was The M*stard, yo.

I actually never used it until my college years, when I joined a group playing an old Facebook game. I used Y! Messenger pretty extensively, though, so I understand the feeling.

Eternal Density wrote:The old MSN Messenger reminds me of a silly time of my life when I had a long-distance relationship.
That describes my last 7 yips pretty well, except for the silly part. (We're engaged now.)

HES! You're back! I was worried you'd be gone for longer. And congrats on 3100 posts!

Redundant:
Spoiler:
3100 cake.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:04 am UTC

Molpish 3100, HES!

110ONG:

The complexity continues...

Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

non-sequitors! take that, google bot!

Postby ergman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:07 am UTC

loads of interesting stuff going on, and a wild Pelrigg appeared as well!

Yeah, that facebook app change is pretty unmolpish. but what can ya do?

Speaking of cut off timelines, I've started rereading Pathfinder, which is full of wonderful timey wimey stuff. So is Chrono Cross, which I was gonna play once I replayed Chrono Trigger, which I've been doing slowly.

did I mention I saw an otter on my camping trip?

why do those batteries have nubs on different ends? one has a nub on the plus and one has a nub on the minus. You couldn't swap their places by rotating them!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ronaldkr

Postby ronaldkr » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:29 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:ETA: I see on my OTT Terraria server that an IP address in Germany attempted to connect twice with no success. I assume that was one of you?

(Blindpost. Wipend, and I did not ketchup yet. And that despite using the Swan-raptor brand chilli sauce containing 70 percent chillies. Steambottle.)

That might have been me -- I only saw an empty screen. Probably my firewall blocked it as usual. Are there special protocols that need to be enabled or ports that have to be opened?

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:05 am UTC

oh right, the terraria thing! I'll be on that right now, to check it out.

A nice starter hut we have. I'll make my way to the beach.

edit: Played around for a while. set up some signs and such. I can see it being pretty molpish if people play on it together. be sure to mention either here or in the facebook if you're going on. Also, new character?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

macraw83

Re: non-sequitors! take that, google bot!

Postby macraw83 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:54 am UTC

ergman wrote:loads of interesting stuff going on, and a wild Pelrigg appeared as well!

Yeah, that facebook app change is pretty unmolpish. but what can ya do?

Speaking of cut off timelines, I've started rereading Pathfinder, which is full of wonderful timey wimey stuff. So is Chrono Cross, which I was gonna play once I replayed Chrono Trigger, which I've been doing slowly.

did I mention I saw an otter on my camping trip?

why do those batteries have nubs on different ends? one has a nub on the plus and one has a nub on the minus. You couldn't swap their places by rotating them!
9V batteries have nubs on both terminals, maybe there's something on the trailer that they plug into.

ronaldkr wrote:
macraw83 wrote:ETA: I see on my OTT Terraria server that an IP address in Germany attempted to connect twice with no success. I assume that was one of you?

(Blindpost. Wipend, and I did not ketchup yet. And that despite using the Swan-raptor brand chilli sauce containing 70 percent chillies. Steambottle.)

That might have been me -- I only saw an empty screen. Probably my firewall blocked it as usual. Are there special protocols that need to be enabled or ports that have to be opened?
I don't know what the problem was. You were able to make a connection, you apparently just never quite logged into the game world. And it seems to work fine, I think ergman logged in not too long ago. Think I might log in here shortly to see what it looks like now.

Wow, this reply tab has been sitting here a while. Preview edit 1.75 nopix later:

ergman wrote:oh right, the terraria thing! I'll be on that right now, to check it out.

A nice starter hut we have. I'll make my way to the beach.

edit: Played around for a while. set up some signs and such. I can see it being pretty molpish if people play on it together. be sure to mention either here or in the facebook if you're going on. Also, new character?
Sorry I haven't done anything on it yet. I was planning on going to the beach and starting up, but I didn't know which beach to start with, and I've been busy the past couple xips besides. Either way, part of it will be mirrored from the Comic (if we go to the left beach, the beach will be reversed, and if we go to the right beach, the rest of the world will be reversed). Thoughts? Once we decide on a beach, I can build a house with beds there and start making castles.

ETA: Are there any OTTers interested in the Terraria project that aren't active on FB? I could try to get with Lu to figure out if we could do some sort of listserv with CM.com email forwarding so everyone can get a centralized heads up if/when people are planning on logging in. That way, we don't clog up either the OTT or the FB group.

BlitzGirl

ENAP: 1 so far

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:45 am UTC

Happy 800 posts, ergman!

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

Wherein one finds way too much about #automeme#

Postby mrob27 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:46 am UTC

第五十二章

(chapter 51)

Morobu performs his morning prayers, and also invokes Cuelessness to get a blank tile. This he saves in a pocket, as the tile he placed the previous day (giving his plans to follow the path taken by mscha) is still accurate.
  Envigorated by the bright, slightly cool morning, he un-kneels, arises, and packs his things.
  Checking the area of the hokora for anything that can be cleaned, he brushes aside a pile of leaves and sees two more tiles, both left by NoMouse, on the morning of the 28th. That was the day Morobu reached the beach of BlueCrab. These tiles are a lengthy addendum to the NoMouse tile Morobu had already found. In them, NoMouse describes having gotten quite lost the preceding day, journeying easily from the balthasar_s stream to moody7277, but then looping around and crossing his own path while trying to find the next stream (this one, yappobiscuits).
  Morobu now searches the whole pond area again, thinking he may find more pilgrim's tiles. The other side of the pond is too difficult to allow full circumnavigation, so he doubles back twice, and thus scans every bit of ground twice. He finds several more branches and twigs, plenty of leaves and a couple neat-looking stones, but no more tiles.

:AZULEING: :AZULERS: GONNA :AZULE:

I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of what :azule: actually is: is it a synonym for ":lol:", meaning that I could put it anywhere I'd put a ;lol: smiley? Or is it a distinct emoticon with its own meaning, so if I insert ":azule:" in a post it means "Right now my feelings/behaviour/facial expression resemble those typical of azule"?
  Making it a verb, does "to :azule:" mean "to insert a smiley into a post", or does it mean "to laugh out loud"? Or more creatively, perhaps it means "to laugh the way azule laughs", as in, @azule has a distinctive laugh and if my laugh sounds like xis, I'm :azuling:. Or more generally, "I'm doing something @azule would do", or "I feel like @azule would relate to what I'm (doing/feeling/thinking)".
  Does it take a direct object? Is it a ditransitive verb (meaning a verb that takes two objects: in "I gave Megan a trebuchet", "gave" is ditransitive and "Megan" and "trebuchet" are the objects)?
  @azule did inform me that when conjugating :AZULE: (heh-heh), the colons should be on the end: I HAD :AZULED:, I :AZULED:, I :AZULE:, XE :AZULES:, I AM :AZULING:. So, while I still don't know what it means, at least I know how to spell it! :lol: <- there, I just ;lol:'d, but did I :azule:?
  With the spelling corrections, I also had to change the irregular transformations for certain templates in my automeme OTT snowclones:

MY XIP :AZULETH: OVER
  THEY SEE ME OTTIFYIN', THEY :AZULEIN':
  NOW I AM BECOME ENDISHNESS, THE :AZULER: OF BLITZROCKETS

macraw83 wrote: I'm running the spoiler-opener script to avoid those issues, which also alerts you to the presence of a spURLer, which is really handy.

Me too, but oddly my script was not doing that on the spURLer button in @ED's signature. I found a bug and fixed it.

For example: now I'm wondering why developers insist on taking things that work and remove functionality from them.

I would add to @ChronosDragon's answer (all of which I agree with):
  Some companies care about long-term backwards compatibility, and others don't. I think Microsoft is the best in this regard: .BAT files still work, and everything I learned in MS-DOS still works in the Command Prompt. Notably a lot of device drivers have broken, and I think that's because the help of a 3rd party manufacturer is needed.
  I believe Microsoft does that because they have tons of people and can afford to employ more people to create stuff like cmd.exe. Apple, on the other hand, is probably limiting costs by getting all of their customers up to the latest version, so there are fewer problems from customers using old apps and old OS's. I do all my real work in POSIX using methods I learned on BSD UNIX, because that's good enough to do all my work. It was a big leap of faith to start work on Q04B: I had to trust that HTML5, CSS3, and a certain subset of JavaScript (with the Document Object Model) were all here to stay.
Well, I said script but really meant LabVIEW program...

Oh sure, LabVIEW (G) is fine. Though I've done dataflow programming, I've never used that specific language, but clearly you can download an image from a URL. As long as you can also get a status/result code, I think it would be just as good as my approach. All you'd want to do is slow down the timer used to trigger each load event (for the xkcd.com images I imagine you loaded them as fast as you could).

Hey, a shoutout from @pelrigg! Where did I put that "hello" smiley? ... Image no, that's not it... Image uhh, nope. Let's try again... Image uhh, these are getting worse, I'd better quit now :roll: !

ucim wrote: ... Each cuegan gets re-counted every time a tile which "includes" it is merged. Yes?

Yes, which is why you only took 1,300,000 moves to get to 25,000,000 points. The point value in a tile is the number of points you've gotten in the process of creating that tile. Each Trebuchet on your board represents 8 points of your score, plus twice the points you get in the process of making a Castle.
  I'm going to skip the questions which other OTTers can help you answer, if y'all care to look at the JavaScript. Looking at the JavaScript is another hotdog all by itself. But one hint: the selection of a blank cell is done by the Grid::randomAvailableCell method.

I think half of the monks are doing DRUL, and the other half are doing LURD, both of which sound slightly steambottlish.

I'm going to have to update - I have 12143.30. Isn't it supposed to update itself? It updated itself. :)

It updates itself only when you force a reload, which is typically done with... the reload command! You might be able to force a reload by quitting (or force-quitting on newer OS's) the browser and then re-launching it, or by rebooting the computer, but not always — some browsers still use their cache even when re-launching and re-opening a page.

That is one seaish battery Balthartist! It would probably power my smoke detector for a thousand lifetimes, and keep it from ch*rping.

I bought a dual-power Carbon Monoxide detector. On the box, it is advertised as being "better" because it operates from two power supplies: it takes a battery and also plugs into the mains.
  One would think that means, that as long as your AC power is on, the detector is powered by it, and when you have a power failure it switches over to the battery. So the battery will last longer. I was led to believe that would mean les ch*rping... wouldn't you?
  I in fact had a power failure, and guess what? It started ch*rping right away! The battery was fine, but it was ch*rping to tell me that the AC power was unavailable. Of course, it also ch*rps if the AC power is fine but the battery is mostly used up. In other words, they designed it so that it ch*rps if the battery is low OR the AC power is out, OR both. You don't have to do the math, because I did it for you: it works out to more overall ch*rping.
  Apart from the silliness of having an alarm to tell me the mains have gone out (if I can hear the alarm, then I'm at home and I bloody well know the power's gone out), you have to imagine the product design meeting where they actually decided they should add a bunch of circuitry and cost to make something that is even more inconvenient than the original. I mean, now you have a product that can only be installed near an outlet, and it ch*rps more, and apart from that is the same as the old model. Stupid bloody ch*rpers.
  Naturally, I fixed it. Using my modest knowledge of electrical engineering (a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering) I took a bunch of readings, made a schematic of the existing design, and added the components needed to make the thing work the way I had first expected: now it ch*rps only if the battery is low AND the AC power is out.
  Anyway, </rant>, but RELATED inasmuch as I think it fulfulls the decree, at least sorta-kinda-ish.

Glad you like Q04B, @macraw83! Be careful though, I've heard it can be a bit addictive...
  Maybe I ought to get back to those long-postponed molpy boosts...

Others explained that having to type "traffic near Tacoma" or some such, is great for that tiny fraction of people who can type "traffic near" faster than they could click a checkbox :roll:
  But, hey! :D did you notice that big roads (like I-5) have thicker Traffic color-lines than litte roads? The Boston area seems to have 4 thicknesses of lines now. That's pretty neat!

balthapreviewbotbuilder wrote: Some of the tags do look like they are indeed flag based. But not all of them. How phpBB decides where to close a code tag with unmatched code tags inside is still kind of magic to me.

Yup. I looked at it for a while, comparing HTML to BBcode, and eventually decided I wasn't going to figure it out. Remember I have something that converts HTML to my own markup language RHTF, and I also have an RHTF-to-BBcode converter, so it wasn't just a philosophical exercise. Then you asked me (several mips ago) if I was interested in converting BBcode to HTML, but I sort of wasn't...
Yes, warnings are good. I already have some of them.

Oh, very treeish indeed! Thanks! You're clearly ahead of me, you put in some checks I hadn't thought of :wink:

ETA: Also, the checkboxen "Disable BBCode", "Disable smilies" and "Do not automatically parse URLs" actually have an effect of hom my conversion code works.

I've never actually used those. Do they affect the results of my post? I guess I should try it... but not on this post, because maybe I won't be able to put it back to normal.

THE BIG automeme SECTION I WARNED YOU ABOUT

azule wrote:Mine does it infinitely (probably bad). Do you think 7 is a high enough number of times? I'd think more like 70 or 700 might be a good outer limit.

I have a limit just to protect me against myself: if create a template to choose one of three words:

template w3: [OTTERS, MOLPIES, KEYBOARDS][]
and then I use this 4 times in a row ("[w3] [w3] [w3] [w3]") that 4th request would search forever because it has already used up the three available options. Since this thing is running on a public server, I really don't want it to infinite-loop.
  And yes, it turns out 7 was not enough for the "You are in a twisty maze of little passages" example, where it is generating a random permutation of 3 items. There are 6 possible results; with 7 as the limit, and running it 600 times, it gave each of the expected results about 95 times and other things (like "You are in a twisting little twisting passages") the rest of the time. That's about what I'd expect: 2/3 to the power of 7 is 6%. So I increased the limit to 27, and now the bogus phrases only come about 2 times out of 6,000. 2/3 to the power of 27 is about 1 out of every 60,000, so my results are worse than I expected but good enough.
I see what you're saying about allowing redundancy. If it's not required (a $0 situation) then it's simply "allowed".

As you guessed (I think), it allows repetition in all cases except where it is choosing from a list of class-names or a list of template-names. "[$0]" explicitly repeats a previous word, so obviously that has to be allowed; but also "[$0/-past]" (with one slash, where we're selecting another tense, conjugation, declension etc.); and "[$0/hyphenate/]" (with two slashes, where we're applying a named regular-expression to operate on a previous string); and "[$0/[AEIOU]/O/g]" (where we're applying an explicit regex, in this case changing all vowels to "O"): all of these forms allow repetition. Also, anything starting with a literal (like "[MOLPIES@0.4, OTTERS@0.3, noun-animal-plural]") allows repetition whenever one of the literals was chosen.
Maybe, in terms of coding it, it'd be best just to add it in as [noun, $0], where there's the non-redundant first, but the chance of it matching the same in the second position.

I have deliberately left a lot of syntaxes undefined, including "[noun, $0]". With that particular syntax the probability weighting could be done two different ways, and if I choose to use that syntax I'd have to answer the question of how to weight it: If there are 49 [noun]s does that mean the odds of choosing the "$0" are only 2%? That makes sense if $0 was a [noun], but what if $0 was a [verb]? Alternately, we might want "[noun, $0]" to mean "choose $0 with 50% probability, else choose a random [noun]". Or perhaps the syntax "[$0, noun]" could be used for the 50-50 case, with "[$0@0.5, noun]" if you want to state the odds explicitly (which is my personal preference, as it most closely matches what we already have). In any of these of course "noun" might be a template-name. (The current implementation throws an error if you mix class-names and template-names in the same list, another case where probabilities are ambiguous at best.) Then there's the possibility of a "[noun-animal@0.3, noun-mass@0.2, noun-mineral]" syntax where you have a normal list of class-names (or template-names) and you're giving explicit probabilities of drawing from each.
  I'm not going to define any of these until there's a meme that clearly needs it; and I've partly addressed most real examples with the more general-purpose named templates. For example, you can do:

template t-noun: [noun][]
and then mix t-noun with other named templates in a list, giving an equal-weighted-probability choice that is similar to what you'd get if it were legal to match classes and templates in the same list (where the probailities would be undefined or ambiguous).
Therefore, no coding change needed, just template adjustment. Or for coding fun, change it to [!noun] for when it shouldn't match a previous [noun], otherwise it'd allow redundancy.

I won't do that: I will always define a new syntax that does not require existing templates to be rewritten. So the "[!noun]" syntax would be okay with me, but only if it is interpreted to mean "repetition allowed", since the existing interpretation of "[noun]" does not allow repetition. And yes, I changed its behaviour when I made it prevent repetition by default, but repetition was very rare, and no rewriting of memes is needed.
  Regarding the exclamation point, I'd be more likely to use a symbol that already has a special meaning elsewhere, to reduce the number of special symbols that sometimes need to be %-escaped... so it'd probably be "[, noun]" since the comma already means something inside square brackets, but a comma at the beginning currently means nothing.
Mystery is good. Until it's revealed. Yes, actually. It's listed in the comments of my template file, actually. Now I will go cry 27 tears, ...

Oh dear, :( I guess I should have asked first. I did really intend to have named templates from the start, and when I read through your templates file I noted xkcd #1318 as being a good example for its use.
It's wowterful stuff, of course. It is essentially what I was going to do. Kudos.

Thanks! Does my near-imitation of your plans count as sincere flattery? :?
I don't know what you just said, except: It doesn't support chains of regex in the template form, only in the javascript file itself (where you could define a multichain regex to execute). I might as well ask you, as you usually explain plainly and technically, what is this Turing-complete thing? I've read about it before but nothing has stuck in my mind.

I think if you do

HAVE SOME [REDUNDANT]NESS, [$0/ANT/ANCY/], AND [$1/CY/CIES/]!
it would print

HAVE SOME REDUNDANTNESS, REDUNDANCY, AND REDUNDANCIES!
A "chain of regex" is that thing where it takes $0 and changes it, then it takes the result of that and changes it again, and so on.
  I'll note that Turing-completeness is not very important, and there is a strong argument for the idea that we should aim for "powerful enough". There are probably lots of reasons why Haskell isn't catching on, but I think the biggest is that it tries to be too powerful, and ends up being too difficult to use.
  I think @Link's use of Python is good, because it means he doesn't have to worry about making mistakes in parsing: he's taking advantage of a parser that already works well. My approach is good because I'm defining a syntax that is designed specifically for memes, but its worse in the sense that it's hard to do certain things. That example that counts letters, multiplies and prints the answer in binary would be really easy in @Link's AUTOMOME. Since we don't really need to do that, it's okay.

MORE automeme THINLY DISGUISED AS A HASKELL RANT

I have a friend who helped me learn Haskell. It was an enjoyable experience — I particularly like the ability to define nearly any syntax and grammar I want, while the same parser also recognizes three types of LISP-like parenthesized syntax:

Prelude> ((/)(((^)(2))(3)))(4)  -- explicit cars and cdrs
 Prelude> ((/ 4) ((^ 3) 2))      -- monadic functions
 Prelude> ((/) ((^) 2 3) 4)      -- normal Lisp syntax
 Prelude> 2 ^ 3 / 4              -- colloquial non-bracketed infix

My friend worked very hard creating a Haskell program to perform the Mandelbrot iteration. In C, it is a single (not nested) loop with just two exit conditions (one of which is the loop counter) and performs about 8 arithmetic operations, about 8-10 lines of code, as you would expect. The Haskell version is also simple, until I asked him to get it to measure its own speed (whereupon we discovered it only ran at 3% the speed of mine) and then asked if there's any way of getting it to run at a decent percentage of the C version's speed. He achieved about 80% efficiency with something like 50 lines of code, but had to violate all the Haskell ideals to do it: the only way to get the speed was to force imperative behaviour. I didn't have the heart to tell him that my own Mandelbrot program runs 16 of these loops in parallel, achieving 10 times greater speed.

Thanks for the origin research on that NSFW "WELL, CH*RP ME..." meme. I also found similar quotes but didn't want to spend a lot of time looking them up, as I thought maybe I'd end up on 4chan or something. I like to trace 'em back as far as existing knowledge permits. As that movie is from 1988 I'd say it's probably close to the origin.

Ooooo, particle clicker. Very nice. Clickclickclickclickclickclickclick....
  Hmmm, I just spent 100 million of my funding to buy a Nobel Prize. That doesn't seem right (kinda like selling my grandma)...

mrob27 Image

399: So next post I'm allowed to uhhh, what exactly?

Spoiler:
squashed by foot.gif
Smiley squashed by a foot, Monty Python-style
squashed by foot.gif (7.37 KiB) Viewed 17520 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”