1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

SO I HERD U DEMUSTARD OTTERONGS

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:50 am UTC

OtherComic

Spoiler:
Otters form chains:

Hotdog Vendor Decree:
Otter Bonding!
Also, OTTify things. Maybe some OtherComics. Even ones which have been OTTified before.

Alternate decree: unbasement!
Last edited by Eternal Density on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Neil_Boekend

Didn't you just die again? Or did I miss something?

Jose

Yep, BlizGirl pumpkinned me. I'll be dead until I forget again.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:59 am UTC

So death is just a state of mind?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:03 am UTC

Nope. Forgetting alters reality, assuming you are a god-like creature.

Despite not being god-like it does seem to happen to me.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 am UTC

Vytron is a zombie now, btw. You have some company, N_B. ;)

Hello, Revealer The Recent, eternalfrost!

BlitzGirl wrote:
azule wrote:Uh, I never got anything for my donut pun. I expected a donut. I said "donnut use an asterisk" or something similar.

Order up!
Spoiler:
Neat-o! Though, it seems heretical for the fox to be eating the donut. Shouldn't the donut be eating the fox? Well, what's it called if there's heresy in your heresy?

Papal decree helper: Un-OTTified AuthorComics, OTT-Thread Edition. We're averaging about 2 a wip.

Eternal Density wrote:Even ones which have been OTTified before.
If the mood and inspiration strikes thee, of course. But otherwise, *cough*, [hint], _______.

OTToMeme updates:
  • Heretical meme(s) added: don't taze me.
  • Added ЯOЯЯIM TTO alts.
  • Changed some backend, such as using SSL Time frames in https if I ever get on ChirpingMustard.com.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Eternal Density

NO, MANIP, YOU ARE THE VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMER

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 am UTC

I looked for a donut eating a fox but webvenience has failed me. :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Sustainabilizer

Bicycles After Time: bftf-0429

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:24 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:My date for Phantasia Land was based on the assumption that Sustainabilizer's dying world OTTification was accurate.

It was correct (or will have been, to be precise).
Maybe you mistook “2015 02…03” for “2015-02-03”?

Neil_Boekend wrote:It can be altered to suit the final date.

Sounds reasonable.

Also: RESPONGSIBILITY …
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

MAYBE ERGMAN GOT MARRIED!

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:39 am UTC

q[azule]{is this what you thought would happen at the conference if we all wore animal masks?} With the right kind of mask and lighting, y'all would make me run to the train station and never look back.

q[azule]{so...what was the subject again?} Of the Unicode haracters? BlitzGirl.

q[ucim]{This should not however be confused with a foxy donut steak, or a steakish foxy donut, or a} punning fox steak.

q[azule]{if I ever get on chirpingmustard.com} Um, I remember something about this. Any rpogress?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

jimbobmacdoodle

Re: Bicycles After Time: bftf-0429

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:14 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Also: RESPONGSIBILITY …
Spoiler:

Uh oh... with this much power, there is a high chance of things going badly wrong for everyone. It may be that character on the left, whose name I cannot remember, turns out to be some super-villain in waiting (after all, she (that character is a she right?) already has a secret moon base). In her evil overlording, she throws out big threats about her giant moon-based laser that she just summoned into existence. In a state of panic, the White House converts one of their ICBMs to be able to reach the moon, having discovered this to be the source of transmissions due to pseudo-science plot-magic. However, the Russians mistake the newly launched ICBM to be aimed at them, so launch their own counter-strike. The Chinese, NATO, and all the other major nuclear powers are quickly drawn into a nuclear holocaust. Thus end the BalthaONGs.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

Helper
Duly Elected Pope of the One True Comic

Postby Helper » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

It's been a while. It's been too long.

85,687 is a large number. I don't think I even *have* enough comas to skip to get caught up on all of that.

Please find enclosed, should you wish to accept it: an attempt at an explanation and an apology. Warning: may induce a momentary sensation of some negative emotion. Caution: contains two (2) bad words.
Spoiler:
It's late at night and it feels like the words are coming out stupid. Like they won't make sense. I'm worried that I'll spoil the mood, some of this good humor. The sort of humor that can go for eighty-five thousand posts. I don't want to hamper that, even if only for a moment.

And I'm scared as fuck. But I don't think that fear is planning on going away any time soon. And running away isn't helping that fear.

I'm not good at goodbyes. Apparently, I'm not good at hellos, either. I don't know why I left without a goodbye. I don't know why it felt like running away.

The joy of participating in this thread started to feel like a chore. I started imagining obligation where there was no obligation. I started to feel like I was drowning, and I wanted that feeling to go away. And I ran away.

Real life caught up with me. Complete with the Outside and its light-producing fires. Then I started to feel bad. Running away with such blatant disregard. I thought about coming back. I didn't want to face that. I reminded myself that that's how you drown. Time passed. I felt bad again, but there was more time between me and the forum. A deeper pool of water. And you spiral, down, down, down. More time passes and you feel worse that even more time has passed.

When you're drowning, running to a different part of the ocean doesn't do you much good. You're still drowning, you're just slightly shorter of breath.

---

"Face your fears." That's supposed to be sound advice. Now, how do you apply that when your "fear" is of people on the Internet "expecting" too much from you? How on earth do you frame that as any sort of real fear, any true anxiety? And, even beyond this, how do you "face" that "fear"? It's not like a fear of heights. There is no high place to stand, proud and unafraid.

I don't know. I don't have the answers. I'm doing the best I can think of. Coming back here. Trying to explain myself. Trying to get some sort of closure.

To that end: I'm sorry. Apology open to all. To anybody I have hurt, from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry.

I don't think I can "come back". At least not "full time". But I don't want to have left without ever saying goodbye. I don't want to have been running forever.

I don't know what this is. Whether it's a goodbye or a hello. Or just a how-do-ya-do. I just want to have said something.

I am done writing this message. It is now 4:11AM. For no reason at all, I am fucking terrified. I'm terrified to click on "Submit". If you see this, I clicked on it anyway.

Finally, on to what brought me here. I heard that there's a party in Germany and I guess I was kinda invited (thank you, micdi). I would absolutely love to attend--but I regret I must decline this invitation. Germany is far. Germany and I are not near.

Even so; 85,689 is a large number. And an IRL forum threa--er, meetup, party, whatever--is very, very cool.

I guess I don't really have any right or reason to be--but I am so proud. I'm proud of this thread and these posts and these members.

This thread and everything behind it and everything that has come of it makes me smile.
Thank you so much for that, everybody.

<3
NoEdge wrote:Outside? Is that like Mesopotamia? Isn't Mesopotamia gone? Has Outside been destroyed without our noticing?!
Oh well. At least we still have our sandcastle.

NoEdge wrote:Maybe it's fire. The world is burning. It's dark behind me. Maybe the fires have been put out. Maybe it's all gone.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:My date for Phantasia Land was based on the assumption that Sustainabilizer's dying world OTTification was accurate.

It was correct (or will have been, to be precise).
Maybe you mistook “2015 02…03” for “2015-02-03”?
Exactemundo.

And Pope Helper is back! Yaay!
Don't worry.
Spoiler:
The same sequence of events would have had similar effects on me. It's quite human to feel like you are drowning when too many people expect stuff from you. Even if it is only imagined, that makes no difference. And consequently it is quite human to feel scared at turning back afterwards.
I'm just happy you're still alive.

85,687 is a large number. You're allowed to post without having read it all though. We still consider you one of us, if you want us to.

he/him/his

HES

Postby HES » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:55 pm UTC

No need for an apology, Helper. The outside consumes us all <3
He/Him/His Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

Helper wrote:It's been a while. It's been too long.

85,687 is a large number. I don't think I even *have* enough comas to skip to get caught up on all of that.

<3

Good to hear from you.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

Welcome forward, Helper !

For what it's worth, I'm glad you decided to click "submit" ^^

Should you decide to come back, even just occasionally, that's great. Should you decide to leave, no problem either, it's you choice, and we'll respect it. If participating feels like a chore, then the appropriate response is to take a step back, as you did.

I'll just say this : never forget that you're welcome here. The OTT welcomes you back, no matter what, but participating or not is your choice. Do what's fun for you.

ETA : blimey ! triple-ninja'd!
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

Hi Helper! Image
Spoiler:
We're not good at goodbyes either, maybe that's why we're still going. No need to be sorry, no need to come back "full time", no need to ketchup. And definitely no need to be scared.
Good to see you again! Feel free to drop by whenever you like.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

Re: Helper
Spoiler:
Helper wrote:Time passed

Yes, yes it did, and it was sad.

"Face your fears." That's supposed to be sound advice. Now, how do you apply that when your "fear" is of people on the Internet "expecting" too much from you?

Tie yourself inextricably to a community of people and choose to accept the joy you feel instead of hiding from the perception of pain. Our brains have this weird ability where the same stimulus can be perceived as pleasure or pain depending on how we react to it. If it takes us off guard, overstimulates us, or we tighten up and push away it starts to feel like pain, but if we sink into it like a hot tub and let it wash over and engulf us we begin to adjust to the overwhelming experience and feel it as pleasure. I was about to say "Of course that doesn't apply to some things, like being stabbed" but actually that's not even true, some people cut themselves for the sensation. It's not wise, but it demonstrates the point, the difference between pleasure and pain is very often your expectations and reactions. You can decide if something is "good for you" and then to some extent decide whether to accept the overwhelming sensation and let the pain slowly resolve to pleasure, or run from it. Sometimes that's hard, and I speak from experience, particularly when you have a serious anxiety. It's easy for me to stand in a crowd of people that I could easily befriend and stand dumbstruck and silent, unable to find words as my brain races desperately to think of some way to reach out and touch these people. There's no "in" in that case, there's no way for me to sink in, to accept, to surrender to the imagined pain and allow pleasure to slowly take its place as I unclench my soul. I guess that's why people like the internet, there's no time limit on what to say, and even a small statement can at least be something.

My two cents.

To that end: I'm sorry. Apology open to all.

Time heals all wounds, quenches all flames, and moves on whether we are ready for it or not, until The End. That's just the way Time is.

Or just a how-do-ya-do.

I'm fond of how-do-ya-dos myself.

I am fucking terrified. I'm terrified to click on "Submit". If you see this, I clicked on it anyway.

See, you just faced your fears, yay! Keep doing that! Make sure you're extra super terrified though, or it doesn't count :(

I guess I don't really have any right or reason to be--but I am so proud. I'm proud of this thread and these posts and these members.

We all have a right to be proud, we are all a part of Time. Most of us are just a speck in the grand scheme of Time, but all who read this needle pulled thing are a part of the tide that rises and quenches all flames. We can all be proud of our time here.

Just thought I'd stop by with a how-do-ya-do. Miss you guys, but the Outside is crazy busy! It truly does consume us all, nom nom nom. It's like pac man or a zanclean flood or something. Babies, and workings, and classes, and trying to do something productive with my interests, like writings, and making videos, and making board games. Actually, I think it was partly this community that inspired me to start doing stuff. You all were/are so awesome and have such talents, it made me feel embarrassed with how many years I had wasted just watching tv and playing video games. So now I'm trying to be like y'all and make cool things. Thanks for that! :)
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np1079

Postby mscha » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

SPRONGBUCK...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS OTTIFIED. I CAN TELL BY THE FACEBUGS, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF BRAINSLUGS IN MY DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm UTC

Baobabs, first Helper, now jovialbard ? Welcome forward ! Sit down, have a scone (that applies to you too, Helper; help yourself, there's plenty).

The Outside does tend to try and keep us out of here, but that's OK, we can wait [for it] ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

It's Pope Helper!

We were worried... but glad you're still around!

Yes, I totally understand the sense of obligation that can creep up from participating in a seaish* thread (or a seaish anything for that matter. It becomes harder to just back away for a bit, and then if you take a break, harder to return because it doesn't seem like you could return in any but your prior role.

But you can. Especially here. We won't think any the less of you if you just pop in, say hi, and pop out for a few mips. Even Popes retire!

Really.

Spoiler:
You're not at all alone in becoming overwhelmed in something that used to be fun. - one of the Beatles expressed the same thing, it happens in many volunteer organizations, it happens at work, it happens at work, it happens in marriages, it is the stuff of tales and legends from before the dawn of Time. "Burnout" is quite common. Things that were fun stop being fun, and this can creep up unawares... even to the extent that one feels guilty that it's not fun any more. I can see why hiding under a rock could seem attractive!

But it's not necessary, and there is no need to apologize. As it says in the Holy Wiki, "There are many ways to Time...". If you need to take time out, we can Wait For It. We're good at that. But it's good to know you're ok. Welcome back, for as long or as little as you wish to stay.

(Now what did you do with cmyk?)

And jovialbard! Welcome back! Goes to show how powerful the First Commandment really is!

* The sea is big, and does what it wants.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

whoah it's Helper! I think I actually said that out loud. Welcome forward, and I hope you can feel able to hang around with no uncomfortable obligation. And regardless, it's nice to know you're doing alright. I wasn't actually in the thread while you were, but as you might assume, you left your mark.

previewedit: ucim says it better, as usual

And hi Jovialbard as well! summoning combos!
edit: and I see soup down there!

Aluisio, why would I be getting married? or was that just a really strange Automeme?
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

How-do-ya-do, Helper! Thanks for stopping by, it's great to see you post! And the same to jovialbard!
You guys are always members of our thread-family. Image And welcome any Time.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

(Remark: If my “preview” notes below look epsilonish: I started this posting right after SBN posted hers, but got an Outside interrupt every few centinewpix.)

Helper wrote:It's been a while. It's been too long.

Helper! :) Always welcome!
(Preview: And jovialbard! :))

[scared]Hopefully this Zanclean flood of “welcome back” emails doesn't scare you away …[/scared]

I'm hopelessly ninja'd, and it feels strange that I (who delurked as late as NP1994) says welcome to someone who has built up this flutterbeewingish thread. But since I am the one who is organising that OTTer meetup (which is part of a scientific conference – don't forget that part! ;)) I dare to speak up anyway.

There is no need to apologise. Noone expects you to be here full-time or to read it all.
But all this has been said already.

I want to add that your words really touched me. They are one of the deepest Hello/Goodbye/How-do-ya-dos I've ever read. (Sorry, but you are good at that.)

(Spoilered for SCIENCE)
Spoiler:
I also often feel scared as ch*rp when it comes to situations like this. I feel honored that you are sharing your thoughts with this community I'm a part of.

Strange enough, the OTT is a place where this doesn't backfire. You have helped to make it like that (so your nickname fits pretty well :)). That's something you can be proud of.

I don't know the reasons why the OTT became what it is, but I want to find out and to use that knowledge to make the world a molpier place. I guess that the thoughts you shared with us are one ingredient of the potion which made the OTT possible. Other ingredients have been expressed by others (e.g. yappo and balthasar_s (preview: and jovialbard (preview: and ucim)), just to name a few).

That's what this conference is about. I am inviting those who have succeeded to build a sustainable online community to find out how they achieved that. If this results in an OTTer meetup, that's a welcome side-effect. ;)

Yes, OTTers are special, so a “normal” party or a “normal” scientific conference might not be the best place for a productive and fun discussion among OTTers. In particular some of us (including myself) usually prefer online means over personal communication. But on this party we'll be the majority, so we can make it molpish for us. (Prime numbers for everyone!)

If you want to take part and maybe even hold a speech but you cannot sustainably travel to Germany, just let me know. We are already working on a sustainable system to hold a speech online you can use.
In any case: Welcome! Image

ETA:
jovialbard wrote:Actually, I think it was partly this community that inspired me to start doing stuff. You all were/are so awesome and have such talents, it made me feel embarrassed with how many years I had wasted just watching tv and playing video games. So now I'm trying to be like y'all and make cool things. Thanks for that! :)

Thank you for your awesomeful contributions to the OTT, including this observation (which might be another ingredient of the potion which made the OTT possible).
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:37 pm UTC

Hiya, Helper! I've been orbiting the OTT myself for the past yip or so, and it seems to be ok. Unless it isn't, but usually, I'm gone again by that point...

Some day, we should really turn the OTT into an audiobook. much easier to keep up with.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:It may be that character on the left, whose name I cannot remember, turns out to be some super-villain in waiting
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. We already know that she is capable of throwing bicycles at robots.
She also once dropped a train on our competitor's rocket. It was an empty, remotely controlled train.Image

jimbobmacdoodle wrote:whose name I cannot remember
I didn't reveal any names. Sustainabilizer somehow found out her username on the moonbase servers. And also her password. And two other usernames. But no real names were revealed. But if you read carefully one of my older posts you may notice a hint towards one character's name. I didn't plan to draw the ONGs then so I was less careful with the information.

Dracomax wrote:Some day, we should really turn the OTT into an audiobook.
How to read the Beanish?

Redundant
Spoiler:
bftfrelated-4.PNG

HOWDIDYOULIKETHESWIMMONGPOOL?!
Spoiler:
!If you understand the reference you might be me. This is a test.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

Still not a blitz report

Postby mrob27 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

mikrit wrote: The entire forum must have gazillions of unmatched, misplaced double-quotes. Oh, the humanity typography!

Use a custom stylesheet to eliminate that steambottle quote character. Mine is at mrob.com/time/scripts-beta/xkcd-forums-clean-theme.user.css.txt and I use the "Stylish" extension to activate it in Chrome.
  User style sheets are really useful, particularly if you need to change the colors or fonts/sizes/styles etc. for reasons like vision (which is why I use a stylesheet). For other browsers you need to do a bit of research and find out how to use a stylesheet. See those bits at the beginning that say "moz-document" and "url-prefix"? They aren't always needed. @AluisioASG has been using a stylesheet for the OTT and might have some useful advice too.

Mrob: does it really work to use vector products for dimensional analysis?

I think so. The main point of dimensional analysis is to check your work: the units should agree whenever you (for example) add two quantitites, or when you equate one thing to another. So if you do something that works out to a vector, and think it should be "equal" to something else that is a scalar, then there's probably mustard somewhere (like forgetting to take the magnitude, or doing a cross product when a dot product was needed, or leaving out a needed "unit vector"). The nature of the discepancy suggests what got left out. So yeah, that sounds like dimensional anylysis to me :wink:

AluisioASG wrote: Haven't seen mrob in a while. Not even his travelogue is being updated.

If you find him, let me know. Maybe he can blitz for me.
  I did get stuck at NP1748 where @Purplepants77 OTTified "all 75:52 of the 10,000 Days album by Tool" and I decided I had to wait until I had a couple hours to read/listen. A week or two later I did those two conferences that I still haven't caught up with. A few days ago I decided to take @Purplepants77's advice and treat it as "totally optional", so I skipped it. I'm on 1752 now.

This is Beacon Hotdog.
You know what to do.

Hotdog? Yeah, I've been hotdogging. My bots are up to 340,372,600 points on Q04B. I've been playing and analyzing a blockbuilder game.

Another gratuitous NP1752 quote:
balthasar_s wrote: And news from mrob27: It's still doing to be a few dips before he does a blitz report...
Wait for it.

AluisioASG wrote:
mrob: I had […] fairly lengthy […] conversations with Douglas R. Hofstadter

How is his work on bio-inspired artificial intelligence systems (in opposition to the “throw a bunch of data at it and hope it'll learn” approach) going on?

Pretty well. That topic is why I initiated the conversation. I was a bit unsure of what to say. I hadn't even read Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies, which is almost 20 years old now. I mainly wanted to find out what source code I could look at, since I like such projects and algorithmic creativity in general. He recommended I look at the Metacat project by James Marshall: science.slc.edu/~jmarshall/metacat

— mrob27 Image

I KNOW IT'S NATURAL AND ALL, BUT I REALLY WISH
PRICKLYMOLPS IN THE FUTURE WOULDN'T TRY TO SACRIFICE ME.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:55 pm UTC

*waves*

Eternal Density

MROB27... IN SPACE!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:00 pm UTC

I was gonna say "welcome forward everyone!"
And then I didn't write anything and did other stuff for a while.
And then I refreshed and... it's buffygirl! MWAH! :D

Welcome forward, everyone!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Wow, is this newpage some sort of temporal junction? This must be very important point in space-time continuum. Welcome back to the future, everyone!

For decree:
Doc in Bag to the Future Part II wrote:Unbelievable that Old BiffOTTers could've chosen that particular datenewpage. It could mean that that point in time inherently contains some sort of cosmic significance, almost as if it were the temporal junction point of the entire space-time continuum. On the other hand, it could just be an amazing coincidence."
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

It's because of the irl meetup thingy I suppose, which I probably couldn't come to even if I was invited considering it would most certainly result in death by wife if I did.
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

jovialbard wrote:even if I was invited
Of course you're invited! As to death by wife - isn't there something in Germany she'd be interested in?

(I should talk? I can't go myself, but I'm willing to do something internet-wise. More sustainable that way.)

And wow! Buffygirl! Waves back! You been keepin' an eye on us?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:34 pm UTC

buffygirl wrote:*waves*

Waves? Oh no! Buffygirl has returned to warn us that the sea is rising again!

(Seriously, hi!)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Eternal Density

HAVE OINTMENT, WILL SUSTAINABILIZE

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:35 pm UTC

Has GLR been invited?

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:
Doc in Bag to the Future Part II: Electric Bagaloo wrote:<snip>
FTFY
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Soup

Otter Up!

Postby Soup » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

For decree:
Otterup.8.gif
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

Hi buffygirl and Soup! Image

I'm pretty sure all OTTers are invited to the conference, so please come if you can!

balthasar_s wrote:
Dracomax wrote:Some day, we should really turn the OTT into an audiobook.
How to read the Beanish?
If I recall correctly, tresoldi has a potential phonetic system that can be applied to Beanish symbols, making them pronounceable.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:29 pm UTC

Buffygirl! And Soup, with the perfect location for molpying up! Maybe the Golden Era I was talking about isn't that far forward :D

And yeah, Everyone is invited, right? And if you make a speech, you get some money to help cover it!

inviting GLR sounds like it might be a good idea, if done gently. Like summoning any deity, one would have to be careful in the procedure. (for instance, referring to him as a deity might be creepy)
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:04 am UTC

I was playing 4 Pics 1 Word, and this image came up... it seemed familiar for some reason!
Spoiler:
IMG_0083.PNG

The answer was dusk, if anyone was wondering.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:12 am UTC

ucim wrote:As to death by wife - isn't there something in Germany she'd be interested in?

Oh, absolutely, it's one of several dream vacations. Just not with a one year old, the funds a one year old has left us, and not to spend time at a conference / meetup with those internet weirdos I kept going on about a year and a half ago ;) That's you guys

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

PLEASE READ: A PERSONAL APPEAL FROM NEWPIX FOUNDER LOPSIDE.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:17 am UTC

Arrrggghh!! I lost another post! I meant to copy it before previewing, just in case, really I did. :( And the back button could not save me. Chirp chirp chirp chirp.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

micdi

Postby micdi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:31 am UTC

Baobabs, summoning magic worked!

Hi everyone! :)

everything else has already been said much better than I could, but because redundancy is molpish:

@Helper: Just feel free to drop by whenever you feel like it, we won't eat you if you do and we won't if you don't :)
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”