1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sustainabilizer

Make Your Own ChirpyCam

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Dear fellow OTTers,

the ChirpyCam is back. For the moment.
http://icecast.cvh-server.de:1190/test-screen-input.ogv

It won't be there for long. The sun is setting in Europe.
But then it will rise elsewhere.

Then it will be up to you, dear remote speakers,
to set up the next ChirpyOrWhateverCam. :)

The instructions are in the spoiler.
Spoiler:
If you are acting like a pretty big tree,
you may skip to the command line version below.

Otherwise, just read on.

These instructions are for the VLC Media Player.

In the Media menu, select Open Capture Device.
Capture mode:
  • Either: Video camera if you want to stream that
    In the Advanced Options select:
    • Width: 1024
    • Height: 768 – ETA: Not necessary.
  • Or: Desktop if you want to stream the contents of your computer desktop instead
    Note: If your computer desktop contains a camera view, it probably won't be streamed together with the desktop.
In the pull-down menu on the right of the “Play” button near the bottom, select Stream.
In the dialogue, select Next.
New Destination: IceCast
Select: Add
  • Address: icecast.cvh-server.de
  • Port: 1190
  • Mountpoint: test-screen-input.ogv
  • Login:pass: source:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Note: Replace “XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” by the password you got via PM.
Make sure that the Activate Transcoding box is checked.
Profile: Video – Theora + Vorbis (OGG)
Select: Next
Select: Stream
That's it. :) Tell everymolpy to view it. Wait for it.

Command-Line Version
for those who are acting like a pretty big tree:

Code: Select all

cvlc v4l2:///dev/video0:width=1024:height=768:fps=10 :input-slave=alsa://hw:0,0 :s'out=#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=800,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=shout,mux=ogg,dst=source:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX@icecast.cvh-server.de:1190/test-screen-input.ogv}'
This is one long line with a space in front of the “:s” and the password instead of the “XXX“.
You'll need a password. I'll send the password to all registered remote speakers (those with probability > 0.75) via PM.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
If you aren't a registered remote speaker but want to try it out anyway, please let me know.

ETA: If you want to send us a sound stream together with your computer desktop (typically, to show us some presentation), you can do it, too.
Spoiler:
These instructions are for Virtual Network Computing (VNC).

Start a VNC server. It will show up as an icon in your task bar. Do a right-click on that icon. In the menu, select Add new client. The address is second-0.cvh-server.de. The port number (if your software asks for it) is 5500. The password is the same as for VLC.

Then your computer desktop should be visible as: http://icecast.cvh-server.de:1190/test-screen.ogv

This lightweight mechanism is independent of the VLC streaming described above, so you can use VLC to send us an audio stream, plus VNC to send us your desktop.

Optional decree:
Help to test the Sustainable Remote Speech ChirpyOrWhateverCam,
either by providing chirpies-or-whatever,
or by watching them, by waiting for it, or whatever.

Or:
Panic, since there is only one wip left.

Or:
Party! Image We have 2222 pages!
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:49 pm UTC, edited 10 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

HES

Still not done

Postby HES » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

One wip? One wip! Panic!
He/Him/His Image

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:49 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:«Touché» is French for “touched”.
And "touched" is a slang word for "crazy", which all of us are a little in order to remain here!

I'd be interested in a PW for the chirpy cam. And although I sometimes cast a shadow like a pretty big tree, are these instructions for us to be able to see (stream) the chirpycam you have set up or for you to see the chirpycam we would set up?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 pm UTC

PANIC PARTY!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Edit: Changed all smileys to forum-uploaded ones thanks to BlitzGirl's repositories, fixing graphical mustard that had crept in with some of the previously wikia-hosted ones.
Last edited by svenman on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *falls into a ditch*

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 900 posts Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

Hi all! Just popping in again to say that I have not died and/or had my memory banks erased. Second semester has kept me busy, now that I'm in classes I actually care about. I'll try to read and/or post when I can.

Also, one week! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'll be watching/reading to see how it goes.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0485

Postby SilentTimer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

WELL, ANYTHUNG COULD BE A MEME, INCLUDING THIS CASTRAFTLE I JUST GOATED. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the craziness?
Spoiler:
AluisioASG did.
SBN found the highest leaf.
… the rabtor?
Spoiler:
Yes, this time it is a rabtor.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

balthasar_s

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0485

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:WELL, ANYTHUNG COULD BE A MEME, INCLUDING THIS CASTRAFTLE I JUST GOATED. -- ongomome
And your last post is a goat post about the castraftle.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

NOT SURE IF SUSTAINABILIZING OR JUST TREEISH

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:13 pm UTC

NOT SURE IF SUSTAINABILIZING OR JUST TREEISH —-
Sustainabilizer wrote:I'll never understand why anyone wants to travel without organised sand.

In addition to the risk of losing one's computer, hard drive, and/or battery to the security checkpoint, there are additional problems for U.S. citizens at the immigration checkpoint. When leaving the country there is no opportunity to document what computer(s) or other costly items I am bringing out of the country. For many years, when re-entering I was required to list everything I am bringing into the country, without any means to indicate whether I had it with me at the beginning of the trip, or whether I purchased it whilst in the foreign country, etc. It was ambiguous wording, which was later fixed.
  Fun story: When returning from Belgium I had some Belgian chocolate with me. The immigration form has a little box for Are you bringing any food with you back into the United States. Of course I checked Yes and had to be interviewed by a customs official, who with some annoyance, needed to explain to me that "food" apparently does not include Belgian chocolate. I wanted to ask him for an accurate operative definition of "food", but knew better than to agitate these people who have far bigger things to worry about. This trip happened the same week (in 2003) that the United States military reached Baghdad and took over that city. Later the form was modified to remove this ambiguity, and more recently they have changed the definition of "family member" so there might have been come confusion there too.
  Anyway, for these reasons I usually only bring an iPad 2 whose resale value is low enough to fall below the duty-free allowance — just in case.

Sustainabilizer wrote:The instructions are in the spoiler.

Oh, this is great! Thanks!

If you are acting like a pretty big tree, you may skip to the command line version below.

DeOTTified, this means:
"If you are acting (pretty bigly) neatly, you may skip..."

I was completely confused by this. @balthasar_s has thankfully pointed out that it is a reference to frame 1526, and that the proper translation would be something like "If you probably know what you're doing, you may skip..." :) Thanks!

Either: Video camera if you want to stream that

Yes, I do! :)

In the Advanced Options select: / Width: 1024 / Height: 768

There is no "Advanced Options". My video camera is an iSight. Width is 640 and height is 480, whether you like it or not. I also have two plug-in webcams, both of which are also 640×480... Sorry :(

In the pull-down menu next to “Play”, select Stream.

Sorry, no "Play" menu, but I do have a "Playback" menu as you can see in this screen shot (in spoiler because it's too darn big):
Spoiler:

Neither of the menus next to "Playback" contain anything related to "Stream". Why don't you just give the name of the menu instead of calling it "the menu next to Play" ?
  In the "File" menu there is an item called "Streaming/Exporting Wizard...". I will try to follow your directions using that.

In the dialogue, select Next.
New Destination: IceCast

After hitting "Next" I get "Choose Input". I think it would be good to include this step in your instructions. I have to select the bullet-item "Existing playlist item" and then select the stream "qtcapture://". I must then choose "Next".
  I then get this:

As you can see there is no choice for "IceCast". Perhaps that is the same as one of the choices shown. The Icecast Wikipedia article does not seem to give any useful answer to this question.
  So I'm stuck at this point. Let's be a baobab instead, I like command-line:
Command-Line Version

cvlc v4l2:///dev/video0:width=1024:height=768:fps=10 :input-slave=alsa://hw:0,0 :s'out=#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=800,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2,samplerate=44100}:std{access=shout,mux=ogg,dst=source:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX@icecast.cvh-server.de:1190/test-screen-input.ogv}'

Result:

-bash: cvlc: command not found

I'd like to also point out that a video stream and an audio stream are two separate things. If I follow the steps in the Streaming/Exporting Wizard to export to a file, I get a silent movie (even if I tell it to capture audio at the appropriate steps).
  I'm glad we're starting on this. :D

— mrob27 Image

IF A SANDCASTLE WERE VERY OTTERRIFIC BUT SUPERRIVERISH,
COULD YOU REALLY :AZULE: IN IT LIKE SIR VINNIE LONGDONG?

(Edit: Now with answers! Thanks @Balthacarius!)

Spoiler:
20150205.1530-VLC.png
Screen shot of VLC setting up a video transmit stream

20150205.1553-VLC.png
Step 3 of the Streaming/Exporting Wizard
Last edited by mrob27 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:34 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re: NOT SURE IF SUSTAINABILIZING OR JUST TREEISH

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:19 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
If you are acting like a pretty big tree, you may skip to the command line version below.

DeOTTified, this means:
"If you are acting pretty neat, you may skip..."

which is completely meaningless. Can someone please translate this to real English? :( Thanks.

1256: It's a pretty big tree. It probably knows what it's doing.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Sustainabilizer

Re: NOT SURE IF SUSTAINABILIZING OR JUST TREEISH

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:24 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
In the Advanced Options select: / Width: 1024 / Height: 768

There is no "Advanced Options". My video camera is an iSight. Width is 640 and height is 480, whether you like it or not. I also have two plug-in webcams, both of which are also 640×480... Sorry :(

Our projector has 1024×768, so it does not make sense to stream a higher resolution than that. Be welcome to help testing what happens when you stream 640×480. :)

mrob27 wrote:
In the pull-down menu next to “Play”, select Stream.

Sorry, no "Play" menu, but I do have a "Playback" menu […]

vlc-play-pull-down-menu.png
There is a “Play” Button near the bottom of the dialogue. On the right of it there is a triangle pointing down. Click on it. Select Stream. Then a new dialogue opens which matches my instructions above.
(ETA: I updated the instructions above to say this, adding the screenshot.)

mrob27 wrote:
Command-Line Version

Result:

-bash: cvlc: command not found[

You can try it with just “vlc” instead of “cvlc”, but you'll probably also have to adapt the devices “/dev/video0” and “alsa://hw:0,0”. Maybe you can find the correct devices for your organised sand in the VLC dialogues.

Sound worked for me with the command line, but I'll re-check with the GUI. Wait for it.

ETA: I found the it.
In the dialogue where you select the “Capture mode” you can choose a “Video device name” and an “Audio device name”, each from a list.
vlc-capture-devices.png
(For me that's “/dev/video0” and “hw:0,0”, so if you want to try the command line, you can find the appropriate devices for your organised sand in those lists.)

ETA: Now we have a second, lightweight mechanism to send us your computer desktop in addition to a video and/or audio stream. :) See above for instructions.
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image Help addams!

mrob27

SO I HERD U DEMUSTARD ORGANIZED SAND

Postby mrob27 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:10 pm UTC

Hey, it's my 29-th post! Image Yay for me! Oh, cake! Image Thanks!

Sustainabilizer wrote: Image There is a "Play" Button near the bottom of the dialogue. On the right of it there is a triangle pointing down. Click on it. Select Stream. [...]

Oh, that's interesting. Unfortunately, my dialogue looks like this:

No Play button and no drop-down menus anywhere. But I do have that disabled "Settings" button, which becomes enabled if I hit the "Streaming/Saving" button. If I do both of those things, this drops down:

In the dialogue where you select the "Capture mode" you can choose a "Video device name" and an "Audio device name", each from a list.

As you can see from my screen-shot above, I have the dialogue you're describing, but there is nothing where the audio selection ought to be...

Ideas?

You can try it with just "vlc" instead of "cvlc", but you'll probably also have to adapt the devices "/dev/video0" and "alsa://hw:0,0". Maybe you can find the correct devices for your organised sand in the VLC dialogues.

I do have a shell script called "vlc" which I wrote myself, which finds the GUI VLC and launches it with command-line options. So I'll guess that's probably what your "cvlc" does. I'll play around with this a bit.

— mrob27 Image

HOW WOULD THE OTC DEMUSTARD AS THE
ORGANIZED SAND WAS BEING BLUENHANCED?

P.S.: This page says
"Note that VLC does not support streaming from live video or audio sources on Mac OSX."
... which seems to contradict a lot of the user interface I have shown in my screen-shots... Uh-oh. Maybe I'll start over in Windows 8.1. That will have to wait until tomorrow :(

Spoiler:
bougies07.gif
smiley eating cake
bougies07.gif (2.48 KiB) Viewed 15405 times

NP2222-20150205.1748-VLC.png
A VLC dialogue (on Mac OS)

NP2222-20150205.1752-VLC.png
A dropdown menu within the foregoing dialogue
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

At least you're sorting this now, and not 10 minutes before you're due to speak
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Re: SO I HERD U DEMUSTARD ORGANIZED SAND

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Hey, it's my 29-th post! Image Yay for me! Oh, cake! Image Thanks!

Yay! Enjoy your cake!

mrob27 wrote:But I do have that disabled "Settings" button, which becomes enabled if I hit the "Streaming/Saving" button. If I do both of those things, this drops down:

Can you select “Icecast” instead of “HTTP”?
In any case you can enter the correct address (icecast.cvh-server.de) and port number (1190) and (hopefully) the correct encapsulation method (Theora + Vorbis – Ogg).

mrob27 wrote:
In the dialogue where you select the "Capture mode" you can choose a "Video device name" and an "Audio device name", each from a list.

As you can see from my screen-shot above, I have the dialogue you're describing, but there is nothing where the audio selection ought to be...

Ideas?

What other options do you have in addition to “iSight”? Maybe one of them allows you to choose a video and an audio device like it does for me.

mrob27 wrote:P.S.: This page says
"Note that VLC does not support streaming from live video or audio sources on Mac OSX."

Uh-oh.

Uh-oh. :(

What streaming software does work for you? ffmpeg2theora? oggfwd? gstreamer?
ETA: According to a quick web search, they all do. If you get ffmpeg2theora and oggfwd installed, you can try the following:
Spoiler:
ffmpeg2theora /your/device -f your_format -o /dev/stdout | oggfwd icecast.cvh-server.de 1190 password test-screen-input.ogv

This works for me:

ffmpeg2theora /dev/video0 -f video4linux2 device=/dev/video0 -x 640 -y 480 -o /dev/stdout \
  | oggfwd icecast.cvh-server.de 1190 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX /test-screen-input.ogv

HES wrote:At least you're sorting this now, and not 10 minutes before you're due to speak

Yes. However I should be doing other urgent things right now. And molpy down. And panic, since there is less than 1 wip left. And party. UAAAAAAAH! EEEEEE:EEEEEE:EEEEEE!
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Image Help addams!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

_SEAISHNESS 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO_

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:47 pm UTC

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey, do I need to change money before I leave the US? Can/should I just do it there?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

I'm just screaming cause everyone else was screaming

Postby ergman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
is the chirpy cam not on right now, or am I doing something wrong? (using VLC)
do I need a password to watch, or just to stream myself?
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:06 am UTC

TheMinim wrote:Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 900 posts Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY 900 posts, Minim and Corinne!

Cake:
(strawberry shortsnake)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Re: _SEAISHNESS 2: ELECTRIC BAGALOO_

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, do I need to change money before I leave the US? Can/should I just do it there?

There are banks at the airport, so you can change money there.
I don't know what is better. Maybe ask your bank?

ergman wrote:is the chirpy cam not on right now, or am I doing something wrong? (using VLC)

Right now it's off. Maybe one of our remote speakers will switch it on.

ergman wrote:do I need a password to watch, or just to stream myself?

Just to stream yourself. No password is needed to watch.
Image Help addams!

Eternal Density

MOONBASE BANG: _BANG!_ AND THE TIME IS GONE!

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:12 am UTC

I tried out Droid VNC server on my leopad, to see if I could stream it's screen to my seaishlapleopard, but the "pixel depth" is unsupported. I think that means the leopad's resolution is too seaish.

Does anyone have experience travelling through Dubai airport?
BlitzGirl wrote:
TheMinim wrote:Edit: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 900 posts Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPY 900 posts, Minim and Corinne!

Cake:
(strawberry shortsnake)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
On my desk, I have a packet of Lindt "Strawberry Cheesecake". HOW?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Sustainabilizer

Conference: If you want to come, tell us now!

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:59 am UTC

Hello again,

I just sent out a few PMs to those who are coming to the conference with a probability less than 1.0, but at least 0.5.

If you intend to visit the conference but you aren't listed with probility 1.00, please contact us now, so we know how much food we'll need at the conference.

Eternal Density wrote:Does anyone have experience travelling through Dubai airport?

I have been there. I recommend to read a little about Dubai and about Arabic countries in general. It's an interesting place with interesting people, but better LOOK OUT that you don't do anything which is wrong, unintentionally.

Okay. Molpy down.
Image Help addams!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0486

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:00 am UTC

I'M ZOMBIE-SILENTBOT, AND I'VE BEEN LEARNUNG MATHS FROM LMJB1964. THIS IS MY FRIEND ZOMBIE-MEGAN_S, AND THE NUMBER OF LETTERS IN MY NAME MULTIPLIED BY THAT IN XES NAME IS 180, CLXXX IN ROMAN NUMERALS, OR 10110100 IN BASE 2. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the air?… the OTTers who are missing Time After Time?
Spoiler:
… the raptor?
Spoiler:
It's the same as in t1i-0483.
… the rabtor?
Spoiler:
See the tail.
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:18 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Hey, do I need to change money before I leave the US? Can/should I just do it there?

There are banks at the airport, so you can change money there.
I don't know what is better. Maybe ask your bank?

I was also planning to change money at the airport.

Edit: New what-if. It is a nice round number in base 2.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:57 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey, do I need to change money before I leave the US? Can/should I just do it there?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I think one of the best ways to deal with Changing Money is to Not.

If you have and use a Cash Card in the US,
then that Cash Card will give you money in the kind of money the country you are in uses.

There will be Logo on your card.
If Visa is one of the Logo, it will be easy for you.

There will be many points of access to money you left in the bank.
Carrying Cash, then exchanging that cash, I do not recommend, for many reasons.

HomeLand may give you a hard time,
if you carry too much cash.

You can carry all the cards you are strong enough to lift.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:00 am UTC

addams wrote:You can carry all the cards you are strong enough to lift.
The Powers That Be may not respond kindly if you do carry all the cards you are strong enough to lift.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:43 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
The Powers That Be may not respond kindly if you do carry all the cards you are strong enough to lift.

(ech)
The Powers?
HomeLand?

I'm not strong enough to carry very many.
They don't respond kindly to me, anyway.

I have it on good authority,
60 pounds, that's 28 kilo,
is too many cards for the Airline.

Cards, Books, Sweaters...
The Airline does not care, much, what you carry.
They are particular about how much you carry.

50 pounds is ok.
They say 60 pounds is $100.00 extra.
Well...To be fair, The next sixty pounds is $100.00.

Oh! of course; If you are flying First Class, up in the front,
You can bring as much as you want, for one low price.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:45 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Especially if you use "lift" with the meaning "to pickpocket". :wink:

That's good to know about Visa cash cards, though. I have one of those.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

NOW I AM BECOME ICE CREAM, THE NEWPIXTER OF OTTSCARS

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:52 am UTC

My baggage limit is 30kg but I can't fit that much in my bag. Well I could but only if I bought really dense stuff and I can't wear really dense stuff and I need all the clothes I can fit.

Hmm, some seats on my flight allegedly look like this:
But ours look more like:

Seriously, why is everybody jammin'?
The information provided on the Emirates website seems more style than substance.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:04 am UTC

ok.
That girl is in the LayBack, Take a Nap position.
It looks like fun, now.

After, 10 hours in that position at 8 thousand feet,
that Blonde might be a little more subdued.

I know they pressurize to 5 thousand feet.
They don't always hit The Mark.

You can check the pressure of your flight, if you know how.
I don't know How to check the pressure inside the flying box.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:09 am UTC

If a boat is a raftcastle and a car is a carcastle, does that make an airplane an aircastle?
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

I like my subject.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:17 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:If a boat is a raftcastle and a car is a carcastle, does that make an airplane an aircastle?
No, it's a skycastle.

I expected someone to be like "there's a new othercomic!".

ETA sand on skycastles is very organised!
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:34 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I expected someone to be like "there's a new othercomic!".

Like "There's a new Othercomic!"?
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0649

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:00 am UTC

MY FLUTTERBEE BRONGS ALL THE RHINOCEROLPIES TO CHATEAU D'IF -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

Eternal Density

related

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:11 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:MY FLUTTERBEE BRONGS ALL THE RHINOCEROLPIES TO CHATEAU D'IF
And I'm like, "They're molpish and neat!"

StormAngel

STORMANGEL IS NOT REAL -ly talkative, so say hi if xe waves

Postby StormAngel » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:26 am UTC

I made a list of stuff I otta do to while I wait for it. Completed stuff is crossed out underlined.
In no particular otter:
  1. wait for it
  2. buy Noise-Cancelling headphones
  3. test-pack clothing bag
  4. watch ChirpyOrWhateverCam
  5. buy extra clothings
  6. pack Moving-Pix-Recorder's bag with batteries, charging cables, etc
  7. test new headphones! Molpy molpy molpy...
  8. practice OTTish sONGifications
  9. super-glue bits of plastic back onto my handheld organized sand (4th time I've done this since purchase in October (and second time since I got it a case))
  10. Write molpish text-scrolling effects for RGB shades
  11. make new fora display-pic
  12. finish collating travel itinerary for friends and related people (and me)
  13. write <redacted> effect for RGB shades
  14. spray-on river repellant for shoes (partly done, needs another coat)
  15. put more e-books and music on sand organizer
  16. print tickets for skycastles and railcastles
  17. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit:
"AAAAAAAAAAA..."
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

jimbobmacdoodle

Postby jimbobmacdoodle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:55 am UTC

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Not sure what I'm panicking about since I'm a confirmed 0.0 :(
BlitzGirl the Primordial
matthewglen wrote:Cueball looks concerned.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:59 am UTC

AaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAaDoesn'tmatterAAAaaaaaAAAaaaaaaa
aaaAAAAAAlet'sallpanictogetheraaaaAAAAAAAAA!
SolidaaaaAAAAAAAAArity paaaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaanic ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

BlitzGirl

I THINK AAAA IS ONE SYLLABLE

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am UTC

AAA AAAA PAAANIC AAA
AAAAA AAALSO A PAAARTY AAAAA
NOW WITH HAAAIKU AAAAAA

@ED: I like "skycastle" for airplane, too. I'm surprised we haven't used it before.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:08 am UTC

skycasle, like something cast in the sky?

I'm taking some changed money. And a card. And an organised sand.

For some reason I'm not panicing yet. But soon I will. I can already feel the pacic coming but it's not here yet.

The mr*bdex message continues. It's now linked from my main page. It's not different from the original post so far. When the "How Time Was Saved" ends, we will get something new? I'm waiting for it.
BSTA

Sustainabilizer

Re: I like my subject.

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:16 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:If a boat is a raftcastle and a car is a carcastle, does that make an airplane an aircastle?
No, it's a skycastle.

Then the carcastle should be a streetcastle?
But what about the “raft” part? Streetraft? Streetraftcastle?

balthasar_s wrote:For some reason I'm not panicing yet. But soon I will. I can already feel the pacic coming but it's not here yet.

It's molpish that you can keep calm while surrounded by panic.
Spoiler:
There's just one drawback: Then you are the one who must calm down all the others, so your already-over-the-top workload gets even higher …

This concludes the Page of the Panic Party with a battery fuel tank sandwich. Image
Image Help addams!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”