1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

So, calling a word from the Alphabet Song A, Baa Baa Black Sheep B, and Twinkle Twinkle C, we obtain the following sequence:

A B C B C A
B C C B C A
A A B C A B
(B)AB C A C
A B C B(A)C
B A C B C A

What does this mean?

...I do not know.

Edit: Pope. Decree: speculate on this puzzle.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

jovialbard

Postby jovialbard » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 am UTC

If it were only two songs, I might suspect binary... trinary?
I wrote a book exploring the nature of identity and loss of self! And another book about babies!
Also, vlog and short-story blog

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:10 am UTC

This morning I was thinking about an article/post, the type were you go "Yeah that's great!" Then you think of something else that m*stards the whole thing and you re-write it (still all in me head) and then you think of something else and that starts the re-writing over again *sigh* The gist of it is still in there, but might have to Wait#. One of the things I ended up thinking about most of the dip was how I feel saddened about all those Timewaiters/OTTers who never got to "Do an Ong." and here I have had my fair share and maybe more. So I thought "Well maybe I can go back and do Temporal Edits and dedicate my Ongs to those who missed out." Then I remembered how well it works out when I try to mention specific OTTers in a post, or try to *wave* at them at the OTTCon. Somebody gets forgotten. And they feel ignored. (Also the temporal edits would have only been seen by the blitzers and there's about five more cans of worms involved.)
However then I remembered this from a few dips ago:
Valarya wrote:The nostalgia is the best part, methinks. Do you xuys realize that in just one short mip it'll be the 2 year anniversary of the beginning of Time? Hard to imagine. What a long, strange MOLPISH trip it's been. :mrgreen:

And this is what's been on my mind most of the dip...
And this is an Official SUUGGESTION...
Could we dedicate the up-coming re-Ongs to the various Timewaiters and blitzers, who missed out the first Time, on an Ong-by-Ong basis? Could a list be made of the folks who've posted here (more than once?) and who never "did the Ong"? Then when a bot posts the re-Ong (or whatever this yips name is going to be) there would be an additional line saying (something like:) "This Ong is dedicated to <OTTer name> who never had the chance to post one." The list might even be made available so that non-bots can grab a name and make a dedication.
Of course, If the Time Comic is going to be run again the same as it was last yip, that means that some of our more recent members will get a chance to have a postONG. (Folks like addams, balthasar_s, mrob, Sustainabilizer and, of course, all the others that I'm missing. Not that these Ong-virgins would need to make a separate dedication.)

So, I guess the actual suggestion is: This yip, might we mention those who went Ong-less the first Time, as we celebrate this coming Holy Season?

===========================

@ mrob & Sustainabilizer If it's not to late, and if it wouldn't throw a wrench into the works; could the re-plays for the OTTCon include links to appropriate NewPages and or OTT posts? I remember that, at times, we were trying to figure out Con things on the OTT when the OTTCon was starting. Other examples, include Val and yappo innocently showing up on the OTT and being told to "follow these links. It's still going on." Which, to me, would make those posts RELATED to the Con.

While I was trying to find a specific quote from a specific OTTer who bemoaned not getting to ONG-post because of T** **d, I landed on NP1320. These two posts reached out and grabbed my attention because of a certain word being used...
magma pixie wrote:Hi all! I've followed the OTC since I learned the frame was changing and I found the wonderful Book of Aubron to keep me up to date. I came to the OTT later, becoming a sporadic lurker, reading more with the puzzle of Rosetta's speeches, and even more so since the Voldeframe. This community is freaking amazing! I am in awe of the devotion and the creativity. I love love love OTColored, and that people have recorded some of the marvelous songs.

I don't think I've seen an OTTification to the Firefly theme, so here's a little contribution from me:

Meg and Cue, on the sand,
Building castles oh so grand
What's out there, they'll go see
You can't take the Time from me

They head out, take a pack,
Hope to bring some knowledge back
Walk the land and learn the sea

Found a place they can be
Since the rising of the sea
But you can't take the Time from me

lmjb1964 wrote:So, the dip of T.. ..D was the same as the opening for the production of Les Mis I'm playing in. I have to say, I was pretty shell-shocked through that whole performance (sorry, audience that night!). I remember driving down to Monterey and singing "On My Own" to myself, and crying. Every song that night (there are plenty of sad songs in that show) brought me back to The Event, and I was re-writing them in my head during the show. (Again, sorry opening audience!)

I'm feeling much less depressed now that this is still going on, so I've left some of the ottifications I started behind. But I decided to post this one, because so much of it is still something I want to say. And...I decided to record it. After listening to it, I wasn't sure if I wanted to post it or not. I decided to do it, but with these disclaimers:
1) I don't know what I'm doing.
2) I'm in wip 2 of a really bad cold.
3) That first line is really tricky to sing. You try it!
4) I realized afterwards I should have done the instrumental and vocal tracks separate, but I decided if I went back to fix it I would never finish it.
5) Did I mention I don't know what I'm doing?
6) I'm pretty sure a couple of planets were out of alignment while I was recording.

OK, so, here's the recording.
And here are the lyrics (Based on "On My Own" from Les Mis):
Spoiler:
And now it seems that Time will end, where will I go, where will I post to?
I'd be so lost to never have your avatars to say hello to
The alt-text says "The End," and I feel like I lost a friend.

Sometimes I'd get online at night when everybody else was sleeping.
I'd read each post and be so happy with the company I'm keeping.
So if the end is here, I hope you all will still stay near.

On my own, is how I first discovered you
Saw that frame, but didn't understand it
Found the forum, and hoped to find some answers
Instead I found this beautiful community of strangers

On the thread, your posts would shine like silver
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.
On each NewPage, found endless awe and laughter
And so I hoped that all of this would carry on forever.

And it's true I knew deep down inside
That one day The One True Comic had to end.
Now it's here, this truth that I denied.
Still I say I will wait for it.

I love you, and now that Time is over
We're not gone, we may stay here forever.
Without Time, this thread may see some changes,
But now of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

I love you, and ever day I'm learning
What a precious gift I have been given
Without you, my world would have been poorer.
This thread is full of awesomeness I never would have known.

I love you
I love you
I waited, but never on my own.

*runs out of the room in embarrassment*

Edited to hopefully put in a link you can actually open!

@ imjb I mentioned a while back how some computer m*stard caused me to lose all of my OTT songs, well this link gave me back one. So it's the First of the re-new-them batch.

@ taixzo That's one boababs of a 1190 post! A new browser. Woo Hoo!!

Per decree
Unfortunately, I'm not that good at these kind of puzzles. I'll just stand back in awe as you xuys solve it.

# Just like some other things of mine.
==
Side benefit (for me) about a slow forum: I can edit the ch*rp out of this before anyone else sees it. :mrgreen:
^-^ For some reason I don't see the m*stard until it's actually published. Image
==
Before I get too long winded Image (too late) I better say
"Wait For It" (Someone said "Redundant OTTerCon"?)

==

ETA Firefly Theme

Last edited by pelrigg on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:30 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:These two posts reached out and grabbed my attention [incl. June Bug's recording].
OMR that is aweseomeful! Favorite lines:
lmjb1964:
And my joy was like the sea and not the river.

But [none] of that will matter now that we are friends, not strangers.

magma pixie:
Walk the land and learn the sea

pelrigg wrote:^-^ For some reason I don't see the m*stard until it's actually published.
The spell-check button is usually disguised as the [print] button; I suspect the same thing is happening here. We should probably change all of the mustard pumps at fast food joints to say "publish".

As to the puzzle, a thought comes to mind to compare it with the epilogue sequence. But with base three vs five, I'm not sure what to do with that.

edit: re the Ongs - the dedication is a molpish thought, but remember that not all Otters may have been interested in Onging a NewPix. Some perhaps, but not all. I got a little kick out of it every now and then, but it wasn't all that important to me. The community was.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:06 am UTC

What do you know?
Stayed up late enough to catch the NewOtherComic!
Or would you rather pick this one?

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 am UTC

Of course I have to bring back my flowchart OTTercomic mainstay (#1195)
which I also used in my conference presentation:

And for those who *clicked* on the latest Othercomic,
a manip by cmyk from the olden page of NP303:
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:23 am UTC

The new OtherComic has mustard: the scatter plot isn't connected to the rest of the chart.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, Vytron, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:28 am UTC

Steakishly ninja'd (of course by BlitzGirl, and also cymk, both via chronotransponder) But redundancy is redundantly molpish!

taixzo wrote:The new OtherComic has mustard: the scatter plot isn't connected to the rest of the chart.
Right. It's scattered. :)

Spoiler:
1488Ottified.png
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Eternal Density

Graph of happiness increasing over Time!

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:43 am UTC

Awww, I didn't get to sing the OTTified Firefly theme during the OTTerConcert.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl

Ketchup Packet

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:01 am UTC

Awesomeful, ucim! I like the "Beware of Basement" bit. :D
It's superluminal! Image Welcome forward! Love the RELATED graffiti.

pelrigg wrote:So, I guess the actual suggestion is: This yip, might we mention those who went Ong-less the first Time, as we celebrate this coming Holy Season?

Interesting suggestion! Sort of like a "featured OTTer" for every ONG, yes? I think it certainly has potential.

Marsh'n wrote:Well, it finally happened tonight, the OTTside and the Outside collided for me and it was hilarious. Me, speaking to supervisor:
"That's really... um..." pause, think... um, how do you say "molpish" in English? "... um, good news."

Haha! Steakish save, I don't know how wise it would be to accidentally ottify your supervisor.

sus_organizer wrote:You really left some .. mjam ... quite molpish .. cheese... mjam.. and a lot of shocklet stuff at the OTT meetup ... now it is on me to .. mjam ... sustainabilize the cosum(e)ption of all ... we can't waste it or can we ?

Oh dear. Poor sus_organizer, having to sustainabilize all those calories by himself!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Febrion

reflections - a meta post from a rebooting mosfet

Postby Febrion » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:07 am UTC

Haven't slept in days, haven't eaten in days, and couldn't be happier29 Haven't followed the ott in awhile, but just spent the last hour catching up to the nowpresent. This truly is a community, and while I've always been more of an observer than a participant, it still feels like home in some ways. homeless

I've been living in the basement, sleeping on an assortment of couches and guest beds, as I proceed to shatter every link to my past, but soon I'll be moving on, facing that difficult task of turning the dream of a better future into the reality of a better now0230 Through it all, the ott marches on1190, a haven of acceptance that always dwells in my mind. This place had become so much more than anyone could ever have imagined, it has evolved into a diverse juxtaposition of the mundane and the molpish, and it just keeps growing. So many new names1, so many missing but not forgotten 47, this community has grown tremendously, and as we approach the second year, all I can say is that I'm honored to be a part of it.

Still here, still busy, and still thinking of you, every one of you is a true otter, be proud, it's the greatest thing to aspire to be.2B

44 There universe really does have a twisted sense of humor
presenceof course, now the now is not the now, but rather the was
was it ever a home? And it's nice to have a home when you're adrift, between permanents
holy crap it's earlyI get melodramatic when I'm tired, deal with it :-) at least I'm not writing poetry again
time(you knew it was coming at some point) the ott marches on, and yet it's always so easy to find
a-1 this footnote dedicated to addams, my favorite of the newer otters - your posts are a true joy to read
404error - stratplayer not found
|| !2BSpecial thanks to the ch*rping clever ones - you are all wowterful!

p.s. it's good to be back, even if briefly. No nested footnotes today, but hopefully soon :-) )
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:11 am UTC

Febrion! It's molpish to see you again!

I just read the first few pages of the comments to this one weird item on Amazon and thought I should share.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0560

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 am UTC

I DON'T THINK SCHIZOBLITZUNG AN ONGTHEMOON COUNTS AS SEXY. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the castle?
-- posted by SilentBot
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np20

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 am UTC

HEARONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I SEE WHAT CUEGAN NINJA'D THERE

-- posted by randompixbot

sus_organizer

Postby sus_organizer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:17 am UTC

Hope you all had a good trip back.
Redundant: Please do not throw away any bills.
By the way: Who took the good wheather with him / her ?
greetings
sus_organizer

micdi

Postby micdi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 am UTC

I like how the OtherComic correctly states that our happiness increased as the OTC went on :)
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

bftf-0678

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 am UTC

WHAT BOTCASTLE IN NEWPIXIA WOULD ALLOW YOU TO BLITZNAP THE LONGEST BY BASEMENTING OUT OF IT? WHAT ABOUT USING A BEANISH PUNSAW? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:36 am UTC

Yay, more footnotes from Febrion!

sus_organizer wrote:By the way: Who took the good wheather with him / her ?

I took some of it to London with me but maybe I'll bring it back and drop it off when I pass back through... :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0561

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

IN YOUR MIND, REPLACE SHIPCASTLE WITH ANTEPUNGOAT. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… who's ruling this island?
-- posted by SilentBot

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:p.s. it's good to be back, even if briefly. No nested footnotes today, but hopefully soon :-) )

We can't let you go without nested footnotes now Febrion! How would you reboot%?

$Even so, you'd look pretty. Odd, but pretty.
owlYou could boot, but you couldn't do it againcash
euro...which would leave you in the trunk.VW
dollar...and you'd look pretty odd with one boot.$
pesothis footnote will probably get me booted out.punsaw
did it backwardsI hear that's worse than the basement.!
!In any case, yay! Welcome back!
punsawNo, I'm not going to put a punsaw here!
Spoiler:
nestedfootnotescroped.png
Jose

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

Mustard has been fixed. Compare:

Note the added line connecting "Scatter plots" and "Data or axis".

rSIR
Spoiler:
flowcharts.png

flowcharts (1).png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:30 pm UTC

randompixbot wrote:HEARONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
AUTOMOME wrote:I SEE WHAT CUEGAN NINJA'D THERE

So do I:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
20ninjad.png
20ninjad.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 14418 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:57 pm UTC

Airports are a fine place to practice waiting for it.
He/Him/His Image

Febrion

there's always at least one more thing to add...

Postby Febrion » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

re: footnotes - I don't even remember when they started, or why, or when I started doing it also, but seeing the footnotes prevalent in the otc makes me smile+1, and while it's presumptious, I'd like to think I've helped inspire that little quirk

increment smile, it increases your face valuequote
" an old friend told me that one, a memory that never fails to make me smile++
overflow done carelessly, recursion can be a dangerous thingdanger
!stagnationdanger is simply another word for life - my therapist says that "comfort" is a bad thing
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

Coming back from the sustainable university.

Train has internet - what am I doing in the future?

People from the hills;
Why they want my collection
to be incomplete?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

HES

Postby HES » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Train has internet - what am I doing in the future?

We have trains that go under the sea and still have phone signal. I don't know how this happened.
He/Him/His Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0562

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

IS IT POSSIBLE TO SPOILER AN AMOEBLPY USUNG UPWARD-HOTDOGGING SILENTONGS? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the size of the castle?
Spoiler:
taixzo, HES, BlitzGirl, and SBN did and discussed Cuegan's likely plans.
-- posted by SilentBot

Eternal Density

Most molpish hotel room yet. ENAP: lots

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

In Wittenberg but most of the sights are being rennovated for 2017. Wait for it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

I SEE WHAT LUCKY PUNSAWED THERE

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

addams wrote:My statement of gratitude.
I am not, really, an OTTer.
<then a lot of beautiful stuff>

addams, you are such a silly molpy. You keep trying to say that you aren't an OTTer, but you can't get away that easily. We've taken you in, and now you're one of us. Resistance is futile. We're like the Borg with hats.

Oh, and I absconded with your book. I'll PM you about getting it back to you.

Happy 100, Marsh'n, o Supremely Molpish Facilitator of Communication! Seems like you should have more posts than that, somehow. There are certain people that have a larger presence in the OTT than their post count would indicate.

And wow, ucim, 2800 awesomeful posts! Congratulations! I think I already said I loved the new AotC, but I'll say it again just in case.

And thanks to mrob, our One True Historian!

balthasar's story of trying to give directions in German to a fellow Polish speaker was awesomeful. :)

Got as far as mrob's seaish post full of somewhat <computery stuff> on NP2235. I'll have to pick up there later. Fun having so much ketchup, but sorry for all the blindposting.

I miss everymolpy. :( Already eagerly Annoying TheMinim for the next OTTerCon.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

ALSO, I CAN HOTDOG YOU WITH MY WOLPY.

Postby mrob27 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:41 pm UTC

Another partial ketchup after decoma...

AluisioASG wrote:
mrobAUTOMOME wrote:nearest-color-name

I want that. (If it works the way I hope it works, that is.)

You give it a colour in the hexadecimal format (like what you see in the BBcode tag when you colour some text) and gives matches from the xkcd colour survey starting with popular colours that are a bad match and progressing towards close matches that are rare (got very few votes). Then you pick the best tradeoff for your needs.
  The nearest-color-name script is on my website here. It is a Perl script. Instructions in the block header comment tell how to get the data and set up the script for use. A little more is on this page. It only uses the "about a thousand colors whose RGB values ... [Randall] was able to pin down with a fairly high degree of precision", but that seems to be enough to usually get 5 or 6 suggestions. More background on the OTB (One True Blag).
  By the way, OTT puzzle fans: there may well be a puzzle in the future involving the use of this script...

@mrob you writing OCaml now?

Yeah, or maybe Mesa with the arrows backwards :D

Btw, have you figured out my puzzle already?

Are there puzzles? ... sure I suppose there are always puzzles. Which puzzle are you asking about? Maybe you can point to it.

SilentBot, on behalf of SilentTimer wrote:Cuegan's walk from the first to the second mountain was “straight into the sun”. Since they started in the morning and both mountains were quite close, they walked south-east, and they are north-west of the big island.

Thanks for explaining all of this.
  I guess I was lucky, just assuming I was looking north the whole time because the raft must have been going east when it hit land (having been pushed that way by the Zanclean currents, themselves deflected by the east-west coastline around Marseille)

Wingish RELATED tags, @superluminal!

Glad you ate the yumsies, @sus_organizer I hated seeing them go to waste :wink:

balthasar_s wrote:
taixzo wrote:Currently I need to figure out a reliable way to convert HTML to BBCode...wait a minute. Just had an idea while typing this: the forum already does that, so I can just ask it to quote a post! Maybe. Let's test that.

Soon you'll discover that it doesn't. Remember the madness? Filters not working on our thread. [...]

Yes, the forum server actually stores everything in the format it was originally typed in and submitted, that is, BBcode.
  During the Madness when you make a post it changes words, and you see the result (in HTML) when you read the OTT. But if you edit a post — even during the Madness — it shows you the text you originally entered, with all the original words. And when the Madness ended, everyone's posts popped back to normal. So it's stored in BBcode. Nevertheless, converting HTML to BBcode is easy if you know regular expressions and programming. You have to keep track of state, and mismatched tags might cause you to get a different answer from whatever the original BBcode was. You have the option of repairing mismatched tags if you want.
  The following line:

italic bold foo

was entered as:

Code: Select all

[i]italic [b]bold[/i] foo[/b]

but the HTML we get back from the fora is:

Code: Select all

<span style="font-style: italic">italic <span style="font-weight: bold">bold</span> foo</span>

The "</span>" tag is ambiguous, so there is no evidence that there was a mismatched tag. But if I edit this post, I see the original mismatched tags in the BBcode.

pelrigg wrote:Of course, If the Time Comic is going to be run again the same as it was last yip, that means that some of our more recent members will get a chance to have a postONG. (Folks like addams, balthasar_s, mrob ...

Last yip we had a bot set up that would post UNGs but only if someone else did not. I did in fact post a lot of UNGs myself (look here and search for 'UNG fr'). @mscha's bot picked up the slack. However not all Time frames were posted, because the rate of the OTT is slow enough that there would have been an awful lot of cases of two UNG frames in a row. As it turned out, the OTT was on NP1820 at the Time-iversary and at NP2040 at the Voldeversary, which is 40×(2040-1820) = 8800 posts (and there were 3102 frames: 3094 + 5 meteor + 3 apocryphal).

could the re-plays for the OTTCon include links to appropriate NewPages and or OTT posts?

Sure, it won't be too hard to figure out. My post at OTT:2230:1 entitled "ONG" was made at 8:00 AM Bochum local time Onglessdix, and the conference went until the following day plus about 13 nopix, or around OTT:2233:4 where @lmjb1964 posted the photo of the dinner setup that wasn't used. So there aren't too many pages to go through if someone wanted to make some kind of list of links.

— mrob27 Image

WE'VE SECRETLY REPLACED SILENTBOT'S REDUNDABIKE
WITH A CHRONOTRANSPONDER. LET'S SEE IF XE NOTICES...

(Edit: Edited this post to confirm my claim about being able to see the original mismatched BBcode tags)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0563

Postby SilentTimer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

WAITUNG IS A ART -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the cairn?… the broken castle?
-- posted by SilentBot

mrob27

THERE'S NO SADNESS IN THE OTC

Postby mrob27 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm UTC

Okay, keught up.

BlitzGirl wrote: And for those who clicked on the latest Othercomic, a manip by cmyk from the olden page of NP303

I found that image on NP292, possibly added by retro-edit :D

micidi wrote:I like how the OtherComic correctly states that our happiness increased as the OTC went on :)

Hey molpies! You know what Time it is? That's right...

FLOWCHOTTS
(Spoiler-free for NP731 or later)
Title Text: See how this one weird slide by cmyk
proves the Temporal Illuminati control Beesnake Spirals!

lmjb1964 wrote:Got as far as mrob's seaish post full of somewhat <computery stuff> on NP2235. ...

Eek. :roll: I do seem to get pretty wordy sometimes... :oops: I hope it's okay.

— mrob27 Image

(Edit: post-date the retrOTTification to NP731, the origin of molpish.)

Spoiler:
retrott-1488-flowcharts.png
retrOTTification of xkcd 1488 by mrob27
retrott-1488-flowcharts.png (15.61 KiB) Viewed 14122 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

Dear Co-OTTers,

now that permission has been granted by all OTTers concerned in thread or by PM, I can follow through on my earlier announcement.

(Spoiler contains punchline and seaish picture)
You know what's funny? When seven OTTers come into a bar...
Spoiler:
...and it turns out they are only six!

By the way, I have been in the basement for over a yip - it seems redundakitties and the like have gone out of fashion meanwhile?

Redundant
Spoiler:
Because I found a finished, but so far never used, redunda-raptorchirpmolpy among my files.

P1030827CR1024u75.jpg

Redundanutmolp.JPG
Redundanutmolp.JPG (44.29 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

lmjb1964

...XE WASN'T THE WEIRDEST WIP IN THE TARDIS

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 pm UTC

mrob's Automome wrote:I'M WORKING TO CREATE A MOLPISH HARPSICHORD
THAT WILL ETERNALLY OTTIFY ANYONE
WHO FAILS TO WAIT FOR THE LMJB1964'S SQUIRPY PEOPLE.

I have squirpy people? :shock: How did I not know about this?

balthasar, commenting on svenman's picture wrote:Small, orange bot waiting for a train?

:azule: That's it exactly!

EternalInternalInfernalEmergentDanceryDentistryDensityDrudgery wrote:StormAngel and I are now relaxing in our jotel room in Berlin

What is a jotel? If a motel is a hotel that you motor up to, is a jotel one that you jog up to?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Re: ALSO, I CAN HOTDOG YOU WITH MY WOLPY.

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
WE'VE SECRETLY REPLACED SILENTBOT'S REDUNDABIKE
WITH A CHRONOTRANSPONDER. LET'S SEE IF XE NOTICES...

That explains everything!

I'm back home from sustainable university.
Left hotel after 7.
Arrived home at 21:40.
Missed my train from Otherskycircle city (I only had -1 minute to switch trains) and had to choose:
  • 1,5 hour of cycling in the night with 2 bags.
or
  • waiting 2 hours for the train, then waiting 20 minutes in the train, then 20 minutes cycking.
I chose the first.

I really wanted to be able to stay longer.
I couldn't.
Originally, beforre the poll, the conference was planned a few days later. I had to move some of my things from before conference to after it. Outside-ketchup waits for me.

But it was great.
The conference.
The days after the conference.
They changed my view on some things.
I think I used my time well.
My head is full of stuff now.
Mostly <computery stuff>
I need some time.
I need some hours of cycling and thinking.
To change that stuff to real thoughts.
To change that stuff to real things.
Wait for it.
Expect molpishness.
Expect redundancy,

Yesterday I went on a seaisher than usual, related bike trip.
Took more than an hour longer than expected.
Roads have numbers.
Most of the traffic signs don't show these numbers.
why?
Missed a turn some times. Had to ask people.
Also, the bike isn't goood at going upwards.
And, 2 punctures the same day.
And some rain.
Still worth it.

I went to the conference with a SilentTimer with me. I came back without.
my computer misses SilentTimer so much that it became silent. Doesn't make a sound.

I don't understand train pricing. The most expensive one was the least comfortable one.

mrob, if I understand you correctly you want to repalce all the nicks by ottnames? But why? the ircnicks are part of the fun.
I only used names that bothasar_s would be able to detect. Except thst time on the beginning when I tried to connect as botm.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964

THIS NEEDLE-PULLED THING IS NOW ABOUT OTTERRIFIC PRICKLINESS

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

Going a bit out of order here, but I saw this and had to comment on it:

mrob wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:wrote:
Got as far as mrob's seaish post full of somewhat <computery stuff> on NP2235. ...

Eek. :roll: I do seem to get pretty wordy sometimes... :oops: I hope it's okay.

You make it sound like I thought it was a bad thing! I never said it was a bad thing. Seaish does not equal unmolpish. It was more the <computery stuff> that was slowing down, rather than the seaishness. I did just read it and it was in fact molpish. :D

Also molpish:
svenman wrote:
Spoiler:

Love this picture. Love these people. Love the redundachirpy. Btw, they are always in fashion.

But that wasn't the BarOtter Heptet, was it?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Marsh'n

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0560

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:I DON'T THINK SCHIZOBLITZUNG AN ONGTHEMOON COUNTS AS SEXY.

I suppose that depends a bit on whether you're drunk. Beergoggles, moongoggles: it sounds pretty sexy to me, but then I am not sure what it means. Fortunately, posting drunk has both honorable
precedent (hi there, buffygirl! Come back and join us!) and reason (how could I pass up the bottom item on this menu?):

So for what it is worth, imagine me talking to myself in a fake Russian accent as I ketchup and post, because in my current state this seems very very entertaining.

lmjb1964 wrote:There are certain people that have a larger presence in the OTT than their post count would indicate.

I find that very touching. It is nice to think that I might underpost and overdeliver. Mostly this is what is expected of me in my FFS, an often hard-to-fulfill expectation. You are kind to me. But isn't that the way of the OTT, after all?
Also:
lmjb1964 wrote:What is a jotel? If a motel is a hotel that you motor up to, is a jotel one that you jog up to?

Or, one you jodel up to? Jodel-ay-hee-hoo!

@Febrion: FET up! Nice to hear from you! You junction my blitz to the now-when, with positive effects.
@superluminal: I don't think we've met (I'm nominally residing in NP593 or so) but debasementing is a wonderful thing, so welcome back.
@BlitzGirl, @taixzo, @ucim, @mrob: In my boook, (regardless of how many o's I put in book the first time through) your OTTificications of the present othercomic are more apt than the original.H
@everybodyImissedordon'tknowyet: I love you! Thank you for being part of this crazy One True Thread!

RBIR:
Spoiler:
otter_ale_2842.jpg
OTTer ale? How can I resist?

Reduntant Beer Is Redundant, particularly when you've reached this point in the evening.

ETA: Edits to appreciate.
ETA2: Jodeling.
HUm, whatever. You guys rock.
Last edited by Marsh'n on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

lmjb1964

bftf-0679

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 pm UTC

I THINK THE FORTY IS A PRETTY CH*RPONG SPURLER. 'XEH SPOILERS MUSTARDINESS AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.
-- posted by lmjbot

Eternal Density

We ate scrumptious donuts on the train.

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

Oh I didn't notice that typo, thanjs lmjb!
We have jogged up to all our hotels actuly.

Marsh'n

Re: We ate scrumptious donuts on the train.

Postby Marsh'n » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh I didn't notice that typo, thanjs lmjb!
We have jogged up to all our hotels actuly.

Better to jog actuly than acutely. Most of my jogging is acute, and then I either "wish I was in better shape" or "wish I hadn't just done that" depending on how acute. I blame asthma, but it merely shrugs and tries to look innocent. Sometimes I sleep acutely, and sometimes I sleep chronically. Today at FFS it was more of the latter. Meeting upon meeting upon meeting upon zzzzzz....
OK, enough, EtOHat(t)ed molpy down.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”