1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Weeks » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:08 pm UTC

if st didn't want you to post again, he has the power to make that happen
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Quercus wrote:Agreed, but "constitutional fetishism" doesn't have that lovely alliteration between fetishism, first and fucking
rath358 wrote:I have been replaced D:

mscha

Time Revisited - np521

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

TRANQUILLIZUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:HES, I'VE GOT A FEELING WE'RE NOT ON THE BEACH ANYMORE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0869

Postby SilentTimer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD AN UNG -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the rock?
Spoiler:
HES, NoMouse, and BlueCrab did.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 pm UTC

I found gmal…. that's amazing.
But if I am in here, I should be naked with a guitar.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

balthasar_s

BFTF-0789

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

PLEASE READ: A PERSONAL APPEAL FROM KONGAMOLP FOUNDER SANDY_S. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.

-- posted by bothasar_p

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

SO I HERD U OTTCOLORISE PENGOATITUDE

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

Neil wrote:The Empinkening game was different from the rest of the forum games. Those of us who knew the Rules were instructed not to explain them to increase confusion.
Normal forum games do not leave the forum games forum.
Normal forum games have the rules in the original post. Or at least the initial rules.
Normal forum games do not influence username color.
This was a Madness game and thus it didn't have to obey those guidelines.

Thanks, Neil! I knew that people weren't supposed to explain the rules, and I thought that was cool. I liked the idea of figuring out what was going on, I was just really slow at it. So, it wasn't a complaint about the Madness games, just about me. :) I thought the Madness was very molpish this year. Especially with all the meowlpies.

Wow, the thread is still pretty raptorcattish! Work has also been raptorcattish, so there is treeish stuff I'll have to comment on later. This post is all about cake. First of all, thanks for the cake, Zooman! nom nom nom And thanks lmjbot helping get my post count up!

Cake for SilentTime and silentbot:

Cake for HES:
(Sorry it's a riverish image)

Cake for balthasar:

Preemptive cake for BlitzGirl:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
clock cake.jpg
clock cake.jpg (8.79 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

hamply cake.jpeg
hamply cake.jpeg (2.7 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

bike cake.jpeg
bike cake.jpeg (7.85 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

boa cake.jpg
boa cake.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

redundacake.jpg
redundacake.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 34658 times

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:43 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:I think sexxytallon was amused that you have 666 posts, and saying "Oh me yarm if you post again you will have a different post total! That would be sad!" and not actually telling you to not post again in a literal sense.

crap, yes. This.

Forgot I didn't put the link in there.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mrob27

PENGOAT. ROT13. HARPSICHORD. CHRONOTRANSPONDER. BOTCASTLE.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:18 am UTC

Hi again, spoilered for serious business, you know the drill.
Spoiler:
I got a chance to coma a bit, which means time to think things over. My original hunch, was that I shouldn't try to post any kind of reply to NSPEtS (FaiD NSP;_Enjoy_the_Show) — not even a sincere, humble, pure unconditional apology. I still feel that way, supported by advice from others.
  I do have a sincere, humble, unconditional apology. I did ch*rp up. I did learn a lot. I can describe some things I learned, and maybe I will. I am moving on and trying my best not to do it again.
  I like the notion that I can apologize, even if the person I want to apologize won't hear it (or accept it). That's like writing a letter to a deceased parent. I hadn't thought of it that way. I'll have to write another rule to cover this situation.

Nice limerick. And LimeRickRoll. And all the other lime stuff. @january1may, I am just as flummoxed by all the shades of green. As one of the other xkcd colour survey respondents said, "what is it with you and green?!?!?" Mrorl built a machine that could fix that problem permanently, but it kind of got out of control.

I really love the Expando-as-Napoleon mashup. Brilliant! Image

ggh wrote:Oh. limerick. I just got it.

Oh. Image I just limesawed it.

gmalivuk wrote:Honestly, everyone mostly participating in just a single thread was part of what made last year's madness such a big deal.

I tend to agree with this, with the qualification that one must keep neurodiversity in mind.
  Outreach, communication, cultural exchange, and more of all of these, are valuable for the OTT. It needs to be a community effort: some individuals will need to stay in their shells, whilst others serve as the communicators to the wider world. It won't cause the OTT to lose what's valuable about the OTT's culture.

SecondTalon wrote:600 of your 666 total posts (NEVER POST AGAIN) are in one thread.

Oh that's cool. :twisted:. I must have another 12 or so posts in Forum Games or something. I'll plan something playfully devilish for when the public post count shows up as 666.

Just a little more seriousness:
Spoiler:
@Weeks, yes, that helps a lot. And it has also been my strategy, almost verbatim step-by-step.
SecondTalon wrote:Given what you posted here, it would appear that you don't read much else of the forum. And that's okay, you do what makes you happy.

Thank you for this part in particular. I have learned that I need to limit my social interactions to small numbers of people. I have also learned that I probably have Asperger condition. It took about 35 years to learn these things (age 5 through age 40). Is there a causation between these things? Who knows. Is there a correlation? I suppose probably yes. Maybe both are due to a third thing, an underlying common cause. It would definitely require psychological counseling for me to be able to participate in more Internet forums. Frankly, it's not worth the time and the money. The OTT is a rare group, in that it can enjoy my contribution. Very few people ever get that opportunity. Perhaps the OTT will benefit therefrom. I can only hope so.

@Sprocket: more well-thought advice, thank you. Also, @ST's 666 "NEVER POST AGAIN" joke was understood as such, but thanks for making sure.

@Weeks: @ST might have the power to keep my postcount at 666, but you seem to have exercised the power to be the page-topper sans decree. Therefore:

as Mome Emeritus I encourage more limeification. Image

REDUNDANT:

The lime Nyan cat has a hat, of course.
Spoiler:
nyan-lime.gif
lime nyan cat.
nyan-lime.gif (19.62 KiB) Viewed 34595 times

lime-punsaw.png
lime punsaw.
lime-punsaw.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 34595 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:10 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Marsh'n

Re: Spoilered for seriousness

Postby Marsh'n » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:19 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
mrob27 wrote:As you can see, I fear for my future here. So this might serve as a warning, if banning is the proper consequence, that means I'll be gone.

I'm just going to echo Gmal here with an additive - check out more of the forum. Realize what you did wasn't bad, though I know it seems like everyone's ganging up on you, it's actually okay. Retreating back to one thread isn't going to grow you as a person.

I am glad to see the support for mrob27 and the recognition of a sincere regret for hurtful actions (even if I'm too much of a newbie to understand what this is about myself).

I would just like to add my own perspective that in my interactions, mrob27 is someone I look up to who seems to sincerely care about others here on the forums, and respecting their wishes, their privacy, and their persons. I think everyone in the world could grow as a person, but if I manage to live up to the standards mrob27 upholds, I will have grown a great deal.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0871

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:00 am UTC

TIMEWAITERS RUNG WHEN A MOUNTAINISH PRICKLYMOLP GOES TO THE DUNES -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the rock?
Spoiler:
Ms. Frizzle Image, AluisioASG, and addams did.
… the flutterbee?
Spoiler:
It's sitting on the bush on the right.

Help addams!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:44 am UTC

Ooh, thank you for the wingish pink preemptive cake, lmjb!

svenman wrote:What the ch*rp... while previewing this post the Madness was just briefly turned back on again with the GNU Terry Pratchett wildcard filter. And now it is gone again. I have a screenshot of the Individual XKCD Comic Threads forum overview with the filter turned on if anyone wants it.

Think of it like a "rest in peace" message echoing back and forth across the internet. Who knows how many more Times it will pass through the fora.
Perhaps we could add a gallery of HODOResque screenshots to the Madness page this yip since there were so many "incidents".

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:Oh. limerick. I just got it.

Oh. Image I just limesawed it.

Haha, glad that's taken care of. Good limesawing, mrob!
I like the idea of a limerickroll, svenman. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

Time Revisited - np531

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:10 am UTC

QUADRUNGLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THANKS, GOATS. THOATS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

mattachu

Postby mattachu » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:15 am UTC

diego5wh wrote:<snip>
i am really curious to know how long this tread is going to go on after we are done waiting for it.

I'm quoting without context, but this little snippet really made me smile...

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:45 am UTC

I'm almost positive this has been done before, but just in case it hasn't...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Manip0833OTTMakeMoreForever.png

Keywords: BGUM manip OTC OTT make more of itself forever whatever it wants lime
LimeRedundakitty09.png
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

SMITHERS, RELEASE THE DOOM BANANAS!

Postby mrob27 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:36 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm almost positive this has been done before, but just in case it hasn't...

Yep... it was one of my Server 503 OTTifications. But having extra OTTifications is molpier. Consider our fr0833's to be ƧЯОЯЯІМ of each other.

svenman wrote:[...] Madness was just briefly turned back on again with the GNU Terry Pratchett wildcard filter. And now it is gone again. I have a screenshot of the Individual XKCD Comic Threads forum overview with the filter turned on if anyone wants it.

It might be useful to know what time it happened. That should be easy to figure out pretty closely by looking at the latest post in each of the threads that appears in your list of the ICT forum overview. It will look kind of like this and even though you can't see the words you can still see the dates and usernames of who last posted. Anyway, give me the screenshot and I'll figure out approximately when it was taken. We can match that up with the other known GNU Terry Pratchett occurrence-times and nerd out trying to find meaning hidden in what is probably just "whatever time @UnknownModerator happened to think of it".

— mrob27 Image

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: PENGOAT. ROT13. HARPSICHORD. CHRONOTRANSPONDER. BOTCASTL

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:40 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:....@ST[/color] might have the power to keep my postcount at 666...

Maybe? I know someone's post count was locked at 1999, and someone else's title was "Party like it's (whiever's) post count" but... I think that was a few versions ago.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: PENGOAT. ROT13. HARPSICHORD. CHRONOTRANSPONDER. BOTCASTL

Postby bachaddict » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
mrob27 wrote:....@ST[/color] might have the power to keep my postcount at 666...

Maybe? I know someone's post count was locked at 1999, and someone else's title was "Party like it's (whiever's) post count" but... I think that was a few versions ago.

I assumed pollywog was given the title (Party like it's my postcount) because they stopped posting at that number. TIL!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:56 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm almost positive this has been done before, but just in case it hasn't...

Yep... it was one of my Server 503 OTTifications. But having extra OTTifications is molpier. Consider our fr0833's to be ƧЯОЯЯІМ of each other.

Yay! I knew it had to exist somewhere. Image I searched the OTT for keywords and checked the manips sections on the wiki, but it doesn't have all of your 503 manips on there yet.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0872

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 am UTC

WHAT THE CH*RP? YOU ARE AUTOMOME. AND PUNGOATIMATE -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the journey?… the politeness?
Spoiler:
Ms. Frizzle is a polite person. In addition, she wants to practise the basics (“yes”, “no”, “please”, “thank you”, “hello”, “bye”, etc.) of the new language she's learning.

Help addams!

balthasar_s

BFTF-0790

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:00 am UTC

BLITZNAP THE RAPTORISH OTTERMOLPIES! MEMEIFY THE S&&M! UNIMAGINABLE BAOBABISHNESS! UNLIMITED RICE PUDDONG! ET CETERA, ET CETERA! -- ongomome
Spoiler:

-- posted by bothasar_p

svenman

A good lime is a Trini's idea of a good time

Postby svenman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:12 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
svenman wrote:What the ch*rp... while previewing this post the Madness was just briefly turned back on again with the GNU Terry Pratchett wildcard filter. And now it is gone again. I have a screenshot of the Individual XKCD Comic Threads forum overview with the filter turned on if anyone wants it.

Think of it like a "rest in peace" message echoing back and forth across the internet. Who knows how many more Times it will pass through the fora.
Perhaps we could add a gallery of HODOResque screenshots to the Madness page this yip since there were so many "incidents".

I added the screenshot to the wiki, for now as a single illustration on the Madness page.

BlitzGirl wrote:I like the idea of a limerickroll, svenman. Image

Yes, on that page I posted about a lime, then I posted a lime-related limerick, and then - I really was on a roll - I posted a limerickroll. Image
Hey, I just was following the pagepope's decree!

mrob27 wrote:
svenman wrote:[...] Madness was just briefly turned back on again with the GNU Terry Pratchett wildcard filter. And now it is gone again. I have a screenshot of the Individual XKCD Comic Threads forum overview with the filter turned on if anyone wants it.

It might be useful to know what time it happened. [...]

The screenshot is now available here. The time was just a few minutes before I posted my comment.

In other news (literally), yesterday's local newspaper here caught my eye for having a RELATED picture on its title page:
The story is about an otter which has escaped from a local zoo and so far been evading recapture, although the newspaper obviously used a stock photo for illustration.

Edit: I was wrong, it is a photo of the actual escaped otter itself according to the newspaper.
Edit 2: For ease of quoting, image attachment moved to redundant
Spoiler:
P1030897R800.jpg
Last edited by svenman on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Sustainabilizer

Re: A good lime is a Trini's idea of a good time

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 am UTC

svenman wrote:In other news (literally), yesterday's local newspaper here caught my eye for having a RELATED picture on its title page:
The story is about an otter which has escaped from a local zoo and so far been evading recapture, although the newspaper obviously used a stock photo for illustration.

So it's not a story about the OTT? Are you sure of that?
The headline below the image translates to “Danger From The Virtual World”.
Spoiler:
Have our activities been noticed? :shock:
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

svenman

Re: A good lime is a Trini's idea of a good time

Postby svenman » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:01 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
svenman wrote:In other news (literally), yesterday's local newspaper here caught my eye for having a RELATED picture on its title page:

So it's not a story about the OTT? Are you sure of that?
The headline below the image translates to “Danger From The Virtual World”.
Spoiler:
Have our activities been noticed? :shock:

Yes, I'm sure it's not about the OTT. We aren't a danger to anyone, we are crazy but harmless.
BlitzGirl, please be a dear and hide away that punsaw really well, just to be sure.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

mscha

Time Revisited - np537

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:10 pm UTC

CUNGRESSIONALIST...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YO MOROBU, I'M REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU, IMMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT TWO-TONE HAD ONE OF THE MOLPIEST FIRSTPOSTS OF ALL TIME

-- posted by oldpixbot

Sustainabilizer

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0864

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:39 pm UTC

SilentBot wrote:A CREDENZA IS E:E:EUNG ... JUST AS PLANNED -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
[…]

(Steakish, waveney. :) It's an ortolan bunting, a close relative of those you suggested.

Todip I got visited by one:
(Click on image for seaish version.)
Spoiler:
By two, to be precise. Image
SilentBot wrote:This species is endangered, but still common enough that there's a fair chance for Cueganzzle to encounter one.)

Really? Wikipedia lists them as “Least Concern”.
(However I agree that they are rare.)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
ortolan-20150411.jpg
two-ortolans-20150411.jpg
redundant-20150411.jpg
Last edited by Sustainabilizer on Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:04 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0873

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

CH*RPUNG BADGERMOLPS, HOW DO THEY WORK? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the call?
Spoiler:
jimbobmacdoodle and karhell did.
(Ms. Frizzle also noticed it, but that species is quite common.)
… the length of the story?

Help addams!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:05 pm UTC

svenman wrote:I added the screenshot to the wiki, for now as a single illustration on the Madness page.

Thanks!

svenman wrote:BlitzGirl, please be a dear and hide away that punsaw really well, just to be sure.

Oh, um, here. Hide this! *passes punsaw to molpy army*

ImageImageImageImageImage
Sustainabilizer wrote:(Click on image for seaish version.)
Spoiler:
By two, to be precise. Image

D'aww. Chirpies in love!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0875

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I WAITED HALF A MINIP FOR ONE DARKENUNG PIXEL. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the rock?
Spoiler:

Help addams!

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:If we banned everyone who was occasionally an inadvertent dick there would be no one left on the forums.

I think Haze and PicSar would be sitting in a vacuous XKaveCD together.

I am never an inadvertent dick.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

balthasar_s

BFTF-0791

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

AN UNWOWTERFALLISH MINIP CREATES AN UNRESOLVED TENSIONG THAT WILL STAY WITH YOU ALL XIP -- ongomome
Spoiler:

-- posted by bothasar_p

Eternal Density

Re: She doesn't wear trousers

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Retreating back to one thread isn't going to grow you as a person.

That's harsh. I find the implication a little insulting. I expect the personal growth of each of us is affected by a lot more that where we post on one online forum. And our Outside personal growth isn't really any of your (or my) business.
lmjb1964 wrote:I knew that people weren't supposed to explain the rules, and I thought that was cool. I liked the idea of figuring out what was going on, I was just really slow at it.
I didn't understand that there was a game or rules until afterwards, and I still have no idea what it was all about. I think someone tried to get me to do something but I don't know what or why, but they were sad I didn't.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:24 pm UTC

He/Him/His Image

mrob27

TO MEMEIFY OR NOT TO MEMEIFY, THAT IS THE QUESTION

Postby mrob27 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:43 am UTC

This morning I added a comic to the ITT: We make xkcd slightly worse. thread. Again I was shaking, anxious and nervous at the possibility of setting off somebody else's anger. It's an important illustration of the contrast between what I like about these fora and what I don't like about these fora. That sort of distinction seems to be under discussion right now, so I'll repeat it here, adding links to the threads that inspired me.

I wrote: Trolley Problem was directly xkcdsw'd back on [ITT:xkcdsw] page 197. This is my reaction to the discussions (both within ICT and in FaiD, etc.) and spin-off threads it generated here on the fora.

TROLL-Y PROBLEM
If the thread gets locked we can start another for "Schrödinger's Lifeboat"

The "discussions and spin-off threads" I mentioned are:
  The Comic > ICT > 1455 "Trolley Problem"
  SF > SB > Trolly Problem
  SF > SB > Moral Dilemma Debate Version
  FaiD > NSP: Enjoy the show!
... and that last one requires membership in the open group (request-to-join) called "The Truly Free". Even just the first three give an idea of the inspiration for my pastiche (xkcd-derived comic).
  The "microwave popcorn" is a reference to the Reddit "Drama" threads carrying the "Popcorn Icon". Popcorn seems to express the notion that whatever is being linked contains so much drama that it might serve as entertainment. Thus, the BHG in my comic wants popcorn to eat whilst he "enjoys the show" that will play out before him in the new topic he so helpfully started: intentionally engineered schadenfreude.
  FaiD's NSP: Enjoy the show! (or NSPEtS for short) seems to serve a few purposes, but "enjoying the show" is certainly one of them. Candid expression of anger is another. I see FaiD as an important "safety valve" for the xkcd fora.

Eternal Density wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Retreating back to one thread isn't going to grow you as a person.

That's harsh. I find the implication a little insulting. I expect the personal growth of each of us is affected by a lot more that where we post on one online forum. And our Outside personal growth isn't really any of your (or my) business.

I got a new insight from what you just wrote, @ED. I believe @ST's comments may have been intended to apply to me, and others in similar positions, but certainly not for everyone.
  This forum happens to be almost my only contact with other people, not counting those who I originally met in person. There is a small videogame forum, but it's almost not worth mentioning,
  Equipped with that knowledge, or with a hunch in that direction, @SecondTalon's advice makes a lot of sense. It's a really good idea to develop online skills, something most children are doing well before high school.

I am heartened again to see the presence of many who haven't posted here often... including those who work pretty hard to help moderate the heat in our little world here.

Some people say I use too many words to be effective in, for example, making a heartfelt apology. It's often true. When I don't use a lot of words it's usually also a rush-job and an example of irresponsible laziness. The only posts that have ever caused a sh*t-storm are the ones I didn't proof-read, expand and clarify.

— mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
reddit-schadenfreude-icon.png
Reddit's "eating popcorn, enjoying the show" icon
reddit-schadenfreude-icon.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 33680 times
Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0876

Postby SilentTimer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:00 am UTC

IF WE MAKE IT BACK ALIVE, YOU'RE NEVER UNGING ANYTHING AGAIN. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… the call?
Spoiler:
Ms. Frizzle Image and AluisioASG did.
(Ms. Frizzle looks up, watching out for the bird. She knows that species.)

Help addams!

mscha

Time Revisited - np550

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:10 am UTC

NUNGREEN...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS NEEDLE-PULLED THING IS NOW ABOUT BUFFYHATTED ZANCLEANLINESS

-- posted by oldpixbot

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: She doesn't wear trousers

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:50 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:

That's harsh. I find the implication a little insulting.

On the one hand, mrob groked my flow, which is all that matters.

On the other hand, have you met me? I know you have. I'm still an asshole. Not really changed much on that front.

ergman

that limerick pun was sneeakkkkkky

Postby ergman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:54 am UTC

Well, I guess it wouldn't be The Madness without drama... :P (although from what I've seen it wasn't actually related this year)

The Thread may not be infallible anymore, flame wise, but it's still a comfort zone for many. Still, the rest of this fora seems great as well, as does, well, the majority of the internet. There needn't be a fissure. To each their own. Don't Worry, Feed Molpies etc. S'all good.

Tangentially related, the reddit button thing grows ever stronger, and they have frequent song parodies now as well as the religious stuff. Someone really needs to do some studies on us, that, and TPP. And no it isn't as ridiculously friendly as the OTT, but it still seems like everyone involved is having a good time, and it's hilarious to lurk.

Oh yeah, I actually have something RELATED to say: We solved Expando! Beanish is just around the corner, I can feel it!
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:08 am UTC

Steakish post, mrob.

ergman wrote:Beanish is just around the corner, I can feel it!

Maybe on the two-yip anniversary of the appearance of Beanish in the OTC we'll get Beanish actually appearing in an Othercomic. It's not especially likely, but one can always hope... Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG

Well, I bought my tickets.

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:00 am UTC

Hello OTTers, my old friends,
I've come to commune once again,
because a story I have been dragging
and my mind slipped out of it
and the story that was planted in my brain
shall come to end
within the heart of brightness.

Spoiler:

Margrit had it right the moment she put her feet on the island. “This island is dead”, she said. “Not a cry, not a laugh; not a voice, not a step; not a breath, nor a heartbeat. This island is dead."

Chessie fox!
You come for my grand finale?
Sorry if it isn't more dramatic;
I was taken by surprise.

The cover of the night turned out to be useless, we realized as we rose up from the shore and attested her assessment. Not even sky chirps could be heard, only the ominous crashing of waves and funneling of winds. All the preparation and expectation melted away in under a decinewpix.

How long has it been?
I was just a child when we first, and last, met.
I grew up. I changed.
And so did you, it seems.

After a riverish survey ensured we were alone, we outlined our next two tasks: survive the coming storm, and find out what happened since my departure. Margrit decided to explore the Hûgin' living place while I made my way through the OTTers' fortress; as long as we stayed under a roof, things would go smooth for both of us. Dominique stayed with me, and Ange went with Margrit. We further split up towards each side of the place.

Can you keep this safe for me?
I'll be drowning in my own blood quite soon.
I don't want the pages to become an unreadable mess.
Make sure Minim gets it. It's important.

It didn't occur to me at the time that the one place most likely to have a message for the girl who had left her people behind was be the one place those who knew she'd come back were sure she'd end up at: her own home. It had been left under a pillow my parents once brought to me from the eastern island, one of the wingghest things I've ever felt.

What is it?
Words. From this side of the island.
Makes her history oh so much more understandable.
And also this place. And what happened.

Deciphering the message was quite an undertaking, and even then it revealed itself too vague to give me a specific destination. It seems to point towards the Colony, a rumor from the hillish age between BlitzGirl's disappearance and the Hûgin' arrival. It was said that most of the Old Ones and a few others were so disgusted at the state of things in that period, they left inland, searching for a place where they could live up to the standards of their past.

There are still people out there, chessie fox!
A hundred years may have passed in here, but much less elsewhere!
All is not lost to me!

I spent many more newpix searching for an answer as to how they managed to escape the Hûgin. It was clear to me they had not left in a hurry, but rather taken their time to collect everything they had and could be taken with them. How did they manage that? Alas, no answer could be found on my side of the island. Maybe Margrit would have had more luck?

Oh, not what is the book. What is with me.
My own nanorobots are now eating me alive.
Turning me into grey goo.

With the storm still ravaging the outside, we were able to coma until the sunrise, when it became finally feasible to leave the fortress. We had expected Margrit and Ange to be near the entrance, maybe even coming towards us as well, but that didn't happen. We eventually found him out cold, apparently having tripped on the stairs leading to the basement. That left Margrit missing.

The people who invaded Minim's island, who hurt her people.
They were destroyed inside out.
In more ways than me.

When we found her in a corridor on the upper floor, she was lying in a pool of her own blood. She wasn't breathing anymore. I tried to touch her to get a pulse, but her skin simply bent to my fingers, like there was nothing inside, only a perfectly still carcass left. Same for her eyes, which looked now not unlike a glass.

I think my time has come, chessie fox.
Will I go merry à la Daisy Bell?

I noticed a small book not far away from her, safe from being wet by her blood. It looked strikingly similar to my old journal, and once I picked it up and glanced at the first pages it became clear why. It also mentioned, at the end, the last events in the island, as well as how the Hûgin were ended, which I deducted, from my own conversations with Margrit, was the same thing that affected and killed her. I was unsure if it made sense to give her shell another resting place, so we'd just left her there, but in a fit I decided to cover her with linen from some random nearby room… just as if she were only comaing.

Can you do that?
Would you do that for me?

Once we reached the mainland shore, the brothers and I decided to part ways. There was no more reason for them to stick with me, nor could I honor our deal anymore. So they left towards the east once again, while I shot a final glance towards the islands, wondering if I'd ever come back for any reason. Wondering if it had been worth leaving. If I would find my way to a new home.

Goodbye, Minim. Goodbye, boys. Goodbye, world.

Just like Margrit.

Do what you must.
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:07 am UTC

spooky
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”