1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Mon May 11, 2015 3:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:I don't get it...
These colpix URLs come straight from the wiki, but sometimes they look like this:[...]
If you quote the OTT post containing the image, the URL given for the image will be:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xkcd-time/images/1/17/Fabric1251.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131011174449

This resolves to the low res version. However, if you ch*rp with it, taking the ?cb= part off, you get this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xkcd-time/images/1/17/Fabric1251.jpg/revision/latest

...which resolves to the high res version. It's something wikia does, something like what phpBB does (which requires our redundancy).

And with that, I am Pope of NP2308. After deep introspection, I have discovered that as I read, I gather things in my mind that I want to respond to, but when that list gets too big, I am reluctant to post because I know I'll miss something I wanted to comment on. The result, of course, is that I end up missing everything I wanted to comment on. So, I decree that all posts on NP2308 (except those that don't) shall omit something that is comment-worthy. Those who, like me, sometimes wait for the wrong thing, shall thus be free to post irrespective of mustard! The perfect shall not be the enemy of the good. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HES

Postby HES » Mon May 11, 2015 3:27 pm UTC

I wouldn't mind having a paw in the OTTscars, unless too many molpies spoil the grapevine
He/Him/His Image

mrob27

IF DEMUSTARDING HAIKU IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT

Postby mrob27 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

Does the decree mean that I should omit commenting on something somolpy else said, or omit saying something somemolpy else might comment on? In either case, I do that all the time anyway…

mscha wrote:I don't get it…
These colpix URLs come straight from the wiki, but sometimes they look like this: […]

I have encountered similar problems. Here is a page using illustrations that are images on wikia. Most of the illustrations are "fuzzy". They were sharp at first, but became fuzzy soon after I created the page and told people about it.
  My belief is that Wikia detects that their images are being embedded on some other web page, and as soon as that happens, they replace the image with a thumbnail to reduce the bandwidth leeching. Notice also that I am not using the URLs like those @ucim describes, and there is no "?cb=" or "latest" or anything like that. My URLs look like http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/edenworldbuilder/images/2/2e/Eden-20130416.124121.jpg. So maybe adding "/revision/latest" would work… but it's clear they're doing something to deal with embed leeching.
  I have been assuming that if I want to embed images, I cannot use Wikia to host the images. I use Imgur, DropBox, Photobucket, or some other site that is more suited for the purpose.

Wonderful haiku reprise, @Angelastic! I see the final haiku in your output (Randall wins. I'll leave / it to you to inform him / of his victory.) appears in the post by @PhoenixRising, OTT:369:7. Presumably you use the text version linked by @Sciscitor in the post OTT:385:2. My algorithm finds 980 haiku in the same stretch of the OTT:

Code: Select all

$ cat baretext.txt | head -14750 | pmgrep :11111-1111111-11111: -lp '(OTT[:0-9]+)'
   OTT:1:11    13  :i guess we'll see in the morning:unless it's a multi part comic:
   OTT:1:16    18  :i kinda hope it's as simplistic as it seems but it may not be:
   OTT:1:34    36  :there was one called seen it i've deleted it and it hasn't come back:
   OTT:2:24    66  :net i'll be waiting for one to pop up that's in the rainbow tables:
   OTT:3:18   100  :ok well they are now definitely moving of their own accord:
   OTT:4:13   135  :what's going on:oh god the suspense:will it be worth it in the end:
   OTT:5:10   172  :a relief:i'd thought he was just gonna walk off:because you know time:
    OTT:6:2   204  :nothing's going to happen until he leaves with megan left behind:
    OTT:7:2   244  :does anyone have the url a mirror for the first photo:
   OTT:7:27   269  :me neither but i do like references to previous comics:
   OTT:8:14   296  :they'll spend a lifetime building a world from scratch and grow old together:
   OTT:8:28   310  :and if you do that you ruin the entire point of the comic:
   OTT:9:20   342  :unless the gif is being adjusted in some non obvious way:
   OTT:9:28   350  :now i don't have to be afraid to leave work in case i miss something:
   OTT:10:9   371  :this happens on my android phone at least i think it's the first image:
  OTT:10:30   392  :i hope he shares the entire range at one point:i hope he doesn't:
  OTT:10:35   397  :oh my god watching this comic is so thrilling and:time consuming:
  OTT:10:37   399  :depends are you at work:where's your boss:actually i'm already home:
   OTT:11:6   408  :we'd all be glued to our monitors even more than we are now:
   OTT:12:7   449  :xkcd:com before the page refreshed to the current image:
 OTT:367:17 14659  :i wasn't going to bother anyone but since you're offering:
  OTT:368:2 14684  :stratplayer heck all numbers are cool:which is of course easy to prove:
  OTT:368:4 14686  :i can't decide if this is really messed up or really wonderful:
  OTT:368:8 14690  :opus:yes:i love opus and running across him in the thread twice:
  OTT:368:8 14690  :i love opus and running across him in the thread twice:made my day:
  OTT:369:2 14724  :i for one think i do get the reference yay:edo gets the prize:
  OTT:369:7 14729  :randall wins:i'll leave it to you to inform him of his victory:

Totals: 980 lines, 68450 characters not counting the "OTT:369:7
14729" labels

I get 178 more haiku, for a pretty simple reason: though I only output each haiku once, I do allow quotes to be part of a haiku and I ignore the "wrote:", so for example from @mscha, OTT:368:2 I count "StratPlayer: Heck, ALL / numbers are cool! Which is, of / course, easy to prove." as a haiku.
Does anymolpy have a more recent text export of the thread I could use?

I could give you my text export of the OTT, but there are potentially a couple of problems:
  • It is about 55 megabytes. Mine includes the quotes as I just mentioned.
  • I strip out all punctuation except breaks between sentences. Beginnings and ends of quotes, and similar things also count as sentence-breaks even if there is no punctuation.
  • I change all letters to lowercase and take out formatting like italics.
I can try to fix those problems for you if you'd like — it won't take much extra effort and you deserve it since you were the inspiration for almost all of my OTT-related poetry work.

I have written my own command-line interface to the Speech Synthesis Manager, which compiles from the command line under Mac OS 10.4 through 10.8 (and maybe later, but 10.8 is the latest I have access to). Source code is here. I call this from a higher-level (but still command-line) tool with one word at a time, and cache all the words in a plain text "dictionary file". This speeds things up immensely and is intended to avoid memory leaks, like you suspected back on NP401 (I had to add threading and some optimisation to the haiku detector for it to handle this much text, because it turns out the speech API leaks files and memory (I swear I'm disposing of everything properly! I guess they didn't expect people to call it a million times)). The OTT presently has 141,825 distinct 'words' so that's how long the dictionary file is right now. Of course I only add new words to the end of the dictionary if they arent already in it, so each of my reduntant Time Accessors has only called the Speech API a total of 141,825 times over the past couple yips.

— mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1054

Postby SilentTimer » Mon May 11, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

I DON'T THINK SPOILERUNG AN OTHERCOMIC COUNTS AS SEAISH. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the new parts of the BlueCave?
Spoiler:
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 11, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Ch*rp; I'd written a reply to mrob27 but it got lost in some connection mustard. I'll write it again later.

Edit: I omitted my comment. Does that count as following the decree?

Omitted comment:
Spoiler:
I told u I was omitted. Y u no believe me?
Last edited by Angelastic on Mon May 11, 2015 7:38 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1264

Postby mscha » Mon May 11, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

DIMINISHUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MAYBE MICDI GOT DIVORCED! MAYBE THE FOOTNOTE IS A METAPHOR FOR MUSTARD!

-- posted by oldpixbot
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 18, 2015 6:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

"THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!" I SCREAMED AS AZULE DOODLED FURIOU

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

For decree: I missed the last two pages due to Outside, and I'm sure it was all comment-worthy.

Did I do that right?

ETA Or should I have omitted mentioning that it was all comment-worthy?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Mon May 11, 2015 7:35 pm UTC

I was going to comment about how neat those Haikus are, but I won't for the popes sake :P
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

january1may

Postby january1may » Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 pm UTC

There's probably much more I could've commented on (or even wanted to comment on) but didn't (though I hope I end up there on my blitz attempt eventually).

With that in mind, on to my reply...
mrob27 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:All raptorcats are molpies. No raptorcat is molpish. Conclusion: Not all molpies are molpish. True or false?

It would be true if and only if the set of raptorcats were null, as I see it:
Definitions:
  d1: R is the set of raptorcats
  d2: M is the set of molpies
  d3: S is the set of molpish things
Assumptions/axioms:
  a1: There are no sets that contain sets as elements
Premises:
  p1: R is a subset of M
   "All raptorcats are molpies"
  p2: (R intersect S) is null
   "No raptorcat is molpish"
Conclusion:
  C: (M intersect (complement S)) is not null
   "There is a molpy that is not molpish."
I'm not sure is we need assumption a1 but it's the kind of thing that tripped up Cantor (see Russell's paradox).
  To make the question answerable, I need to add another premise, which could be either p3 "There are no raptorcats" or p4 "There exists at least one raptorcat". Frame 2228 suggests p4 so I suppose the answer @yappobiscuits is looking for is "true".

This really sounds like a question that would work well with Dodgsonian syllogistic logic...

We start out with the following statements:
A. All raptorcats are molpies
B. No raptorcats are molpish

For the set letters, we might as well choose yours:
A'. All R are M
B'. No R are S

By the rules of Dodgsonian logic, we have to reformulate the statement A' into an equivalent pair of statements:
A1. No R are non-M (No raptorcats are non-molpies)
A2. Some R are M (Some raptorcats are molpies)

This is where I should really draw a diagram, but I suck at drawing, and don't have much time anyway.
In any case, A1 is a black token on the RS and R sections, A2 is a red token on the RMS and RM sections, and B' is a black token on the RS and RMS sections.
The existence of the second black token moves the red one to RM, and there appear to be two conclusions:
C'. All R are non-S
D'. Some M are non-S

Or, reformulating in the original terms:
C. All raptorcats are non-molpish
D. Some molpies are non-molpish

Now, we reformulate the conclusion intended by yappobiscuits:
E. Not all molpies are molpish
E'. It is not true that all M are S
E''. It is either not true that some M are S, or that no M are non-S
E'''. Either no M are S, or some M are non-S

We see that the second part of the statement E''' coincides with conclusion D', making the statement true, and yappobiscuits' conclusion correct (though somewhat weaker than the real one).
Last edited by january1may on Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1055

Postby SilentTimer » Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 pm UTC

I WAITED HALF A HECTONEWPIX FOR ONE DARKENUNG PIXEL. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the new parts of the BlueCave?

Help addams!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

BFTF-0866

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

THEY'RE TAKONG THE FIRSTPOSTS TO THE MOONBASE! -- ongomome
Spoiler:
I'd highly recommend following the first commandment ...again.

-- posted by lmjbot

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

TADONG

Totally did not just fall and get sand in my hair.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

Treeish! Being mostly in the basement I didn't know mrob27 made a haiku detector and other poetic stuff. Did you make a double dactyl detector? I started to, but I ended up using it for something else (calculating perceived speed of words/sentences so I wouldn't have to do it myself for an exercise in a short story writing course I'm doing) and then I got distracted by Swift and also Outside.

I think that the original bug which seemed to be to do with files being left open deep in the gubbins of the speech synthesis libraries got fixed in a new version of OS X, because that bug behaved differently from the one I eventually looked into and fixed (thanks partly to better logging of such errors in the current version of OS X) the other dip, which was a threading issue in Haiku Detector itself. Anyway, it haiks along quite molpishly now. I'd like to try it with your 55MB file, for the sake of more stress testing, even if the results end up epsilon due to the changes you made to the text. If the file still has something to separate the sentences, it should work; Haiku Detector determines words and sentences however NSStringEnumerationByWords and NSStringEnumerationBySentences do it, because words and sentences are complicated and should be left to the experts.

Haiku Detector itself being general purpose, it doesn't do anything special such as removing 'wrote' or quotes or anything. It just takes whatever text I give it. Some examples which revealed a bug in an edge case (generally involving sentences or groups of sentences that are 17 syllables when the punctuation is pronounced, but 12 or fewer syllables once split into words whose punctuation is not pronounced) are:

peewee_RotA wrote:...Actually I got it.
So, be the quote Zul-Gurub the April Fool's joke?
", what do you cheer? "i!" or "me!"?
"i!" or "me!"? if you say "i!
(It doesn't really.)* or "y'all are also"
WTF? Where do you come up with this $#!+ ?
Let's have pillow fight, jump on the bed and squeal!SQUEE!

Some day I'll put this thing on the App store, but I'm going to need a proper icon for it, and also an Austrian Apple ID, since I'm still using my Swiss one and I can't be bothered figuring out how to combine them.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

january1may wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:All raptorcats are molpies. No raptorcat is molpish. Conclusion: Not all molpies are molpish. True or false?

Definitions:
Assumptions/axioms:
Premises:
Conclusion:
I'm not sure is we need assumption a1 but it's the kind of thing that tripped up Cantor (see Russell's paradox).
  To make the question answerable, I need to add another premise, which could be either p3 "There are no raptorcats" or p4 "There exists at least one raptorcat". Frame 2228 suggests p4 so I suppose the answer @yappobiscuits is looking for is "true".

This really sounds like a question that would work well with Dodgsonian syllogistic logic...

A'. All R are M
B'. No R are S

By the rules of Dodgsonian logic, we have to reformulate the statement A' into an equivalent pair of statements:

This is where I should really draw a diagram, but I suck at drawing, and don't have much time anyway.
In any case, A1 is a black token on the RS and R sections, A2 is a red token on the RMS and RM sections, and B' is a black token on the RS and RMS sections.
The existence of the second black token moves the red one to RM, and there appear to be two conclusions:
C'. All R are non-S
D'. Some M are non-S

We see that the second part of the statement E''' coincides with conclusion D', making the statement true, and yappobiscuits' conclusion correct (though somewhat weaker than the real one).

*Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously*
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

lmjb1964

ET TU, AFRO?

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:19 pm UTC

Page 2306 ketchup:

svenman, hope the micromolpies are gone. Good luck with the FFS search! I loved your ottification, and your redundant ottification. :D

Hi, Val! Hi, Angelastic! Thanks for the haiku updates!

Lu, glad to hear the good news about your professor.

Loved the botpoetry slam, mrob. :) Happy 700!

SBN, have you ever read any Dave Barry? The fact that many things in Florida can kill you is a recurring theme of his writing. :D

Outside has been very Outsidey, in both molpish and unmolpish ways. I really need a break.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon May 11, 2015 11:56 pm UTC

Oh yeah, mrob27, I forgot to mention (after losing my first post on the topic) that Haiku Detector does not cache all the syllable counts of the words it encounters, but it does have some hard-coded sets of common one- or two-syllable words (I think they were from the list of 1000 most common words used for Up Goer Five), for the sake of optimisation. Nonetheless, I suspect it's more efficient than your command line tool because it keeps the same speech channel around instead of making a new one for every check (I did experiment with disposing it occasionally when I was having the apparently-solved-in-a-later-version-of-OS-X issue, but it didn't help. According to my notes, when I created and destroyed it every time I checked the syllable count of something, it was indeed very slow.)

ETA: Hi, lmjb!
Haiku Detector
my robot army.

mscha

Time Revisited - np1269

Postby mscha » Tue May 12, 2015 12:10 am UTC

SWELTERUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:POOL'S CLOSED DUE TO ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALLS

-- posted by oldpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: ET TU, AFRO?

Postby SBN » Tue May 12, 2015 12:12 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:SBN, have you ever read any Dave Barry? The fact that many things in Florida can kill you is a recurring theme of his writing. :D

I have, but somehow it is funnier when it is farther away. Apparently I have to determine the gender of the plants in the yard, because if they are females the wolpies will get sick if they chew on them.

lmjb1964 wrote:Outside has been very Outsidey, in both molpish and unmolpish ways. I really need a break.

Indeed it has. I hope you and any OTTers that need one get a break.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 12, 2015 12:41 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:*Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously*
There was a TV show reference in there? Missed that one totally. (No surprise, I don't watch TV, but I have heard of shows. :) )

SBN wrote:Apparently I have to determine the gender of the plants in the yard, because if they are females the wolpies will get sick if they chew on them.
How do you keep that up to date as plants grow? (I was going to say "move", but it's just the seeds that move.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue May 12, 2015 1:21 am UTC

ucim wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:*Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously*
There was a TV show reference in there? Missed that one totally. (No surprise, I don't watch TV, but I have heard of shows. :) )

SBN wrote:Apparently I have to determine the gender of the plants in the yard, because if they are females the wolpies will get sick if they chew on them.
How do you keep that up to date as plants grow? (I was going to say "move", but it's just the seeds that move.)

Jose

I don't think these will start new plants on their own. So I just need to look at what is here now, while it is the right time of year to tell.

Of course, with all the other weird things here, I don't know that I'd be surprised by plants that move.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue May 12, 2015 4:11 am UTC

the mrONGbdex story continues.

Code: Select all

Mrorl had once built an enormous Cognitative Engine that was capable of only one operation, *viz.* the naming of creatures given a picture thereof, and *that* it did most OTTishly. As was told earlier in these chronicles, that machine also proved to be extremely stubborn, and more than a little bit aggressive; the quarrel (and high-speed chase) that ensued almost cost its creator his life... not to mention what it may have done to the berm. From that time Balthacarius teased Mrorl incessantly, and pelted him occasionally, until Mrorl decided to silence him once and for all by building a bot that could write poetry. First Mrorl collected eight hundred and twenty megabytes of source code and documentation on cybernOTTics, and twenty-three hundred Newpages of the One True Thread (including at least twelve thousand lines of the finest poetry), then sat down and Blitzed it all. Whenever he felt like he couldn't take another Newpage of puns or rot13'd OTTified Broadway lyrics, he would switch over to banging on the code, and vice versa. After a while it became clear to him that the construction of the Bot itself was child's play in comparison to the writing of the software that was to bring it to life. The "poetic programming" found in the mind of the average OTTer, after all, was "written" by the OTTer's civilisation and culture, which was of course the OTT -- and that was in turn "programmed" by the formative dips of the Fading and the Madness, which in turn was born out of the early dips of the ShortPix, which in turn came from the proto-Randallian culture of the OtherComics Before Time, and so on to the elder dips of ARPANET, when the 1's and 0's that were to make up the OTT-to-be were still being forged in the primordial chaos of the Great Numerical Sea, Which Is Big, *Really* Big. Hence in order to program a poetry bot, one would first have to Blitz the entire Universe from the beginning -- or at least, Blitz the OTT.
  Anyone else in Mrorl's place would have given up then and there, but our intrepid bOTTifactor was nothing daunted. He built a great Botcastle, and created within it a digital model of the Numerical Sea, and a True Author to draw upon the blank page of the Primordial Frames, and he introduced the parameter of ONGs, a bit of CSS and JavaScript, and by degrees worked his way up to the (first) Dark Period. Mrorl could move at this rate because his Botcastle was able, in one septillionth of a nopix, to simulate thirty-three trillion slow fadings of eighty octillion different pixels simultaneously. And if anymolpy doubts these numbers, let xem work it out for xemselves.
  Next Mrorl began to model OTTification, the enhancement of molpies, cheap gags with bags, odes of dilgunnerangs and serenades to flutterbees and wowterfalls. To accelerate this effort and ensure conclusion within his own lifetime he created many simulated Worlds of Time, each to be observed by a devloping culture of simulated OTTers. Within his many simulated worlds, Cuegans (and Megballs, and the occasional la Petite) ventured up simulated slopes, pondered pixelated porcupines, gave grapes to mesh-modelled molpies, and generally discovered what the first part of understanding everything looks

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1057

Postby SilentTimer » Tue May 12, 2015 5:00 am UTC

IF RIDONDAKITI ARE THE OTTIFICATIONS OF THE DILGUNNERUNG, AND OTTIFICATIONS ARE THE BADGERMOLPS OF THE KANGAMOLP, WHY ARE WE STILL DEMUSTARDING RIDONDAKITI? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the flutterbee?
Spoiler:
When Cueball passed the plant, it took off. Then it flew over the tree and the structure. Now it's passing Cueball again.

Help addams!

lmjb1964

BFTF-0867

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:00 am UTC

ONE VITSSÅGEN TO RULE THEM ALL, ONE VITSSÅGEN TO FIND THEM / ONE VITSSÅGEN TO BRONG THEM ALL AND AT R.A.Z.O.R. BIND THEM. -- ongomome
Spoiler:

-- posted by lmjbot

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1058

Postby SilentTimer » Tue May 12, 2015 9:00 am UTC

IF POSTUNG YOUR TURTLEMOLPIES IS WOWTERFUL, THEN I'M BUNNY. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the new parts of the collapsing BlueCave?
Spoiler:

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1059
12 May 2015, 13:00 UTC
YES LITTLEST BUNGS BROTHER, THERE IS A BLINDPOST. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the new parts of the collapsing BlueCave?
Spoiler:

Help addams!

lmjb1964

BFTF-0868

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

HAST MUSTARDED THE MOUNTAINISH MYSTERYONG? -- ongomome
Spoiler:

-- posted by lmjbot

ggh

Re: t1i – It's Green Everywhere

Postby ggh » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

Oh Jose, you don't know how much I needed that decree! Thank you!
You see, I want to ketchup a bit, but I'm so easily stuck. Take this post from NP 2299:
SilentTimer wrote:
One year ago, SilentTimer wrote:

*** STARTING THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM THE PAST ***

April 2014.

Cueganzzle are approaching the lake.
This means: more plants.

Fortunately, it's easy to draw a plant in GLR's style.
Just convert a photo to a silhouette.

Right?
Spoiler:
On 26 Dec 2013, BlitzGirl wrote:I agree with azule, this isn't GLR's art style. Those are photo-real trees rather than referenced silhouettes.
She's right.

*sigh*

But it worked so well for the molpies!

ImageImage
(Photo by Wikimedia Commons)
(This is not a rabbit. See the tail.)

And it worked so well for the Bongka tree!

(Photo by ISPRA)

For other plants it worked better to draw them from scratch and to use the photos just for inspiration:

Image Image
Image Image
(Photos by various sources; click on the images)

But how to draw more trees?

They have more individuality than those riverish plants. Neither method yields satisfying results. (GLR is a wise man. A seaish fraction of Time takes place in the desert.)

SilentTimer wrote:After that I must cheer up Cuegan, so let's place the tsee-chirpies over there.

O GLR, I'll need a tree for them.
I need it now.
RUN!

Let's try a combined method on this tree.

(Photo by Wikimedia Commons)

First, turn the branches into a silhouette.
Manually.
(Thank GLR for the graphics tablet!)

Scale it down and draw the leaves, using the photo just for inspiration.

Now let some other plants crawl up the stem (like on GLR's trees) and integrate it into the scenery.

Okay. This will do.

Now we can face the lake.
What about this?

The lake is surrounded by it.
How to draw it?

Let this be the lakeshore.

There's grass.

And there are some plants.

Now comes the reed.
Let's switch off the grass, and draw their stems.
They are more or less vertical lines, not just black, but with tiny shades,
regular, but not too regular.

Oof. Okay, now add the leaves, like in the photo.

No. Too bulky.
Try again.

Better, but now they don't look like leaves.
Try again.

Okay. This will do.
Let's switch on the grass again, and add some more plants which grow inside the reed.

Now overlay a layer which makes all plants blue.

That's it.

Okay. Where will Cueganzzle go next?
What complicated things will they encounter which I must draw?

*** END OF THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM THE PAST ***

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Running_hare.png

bongka-1.gif

pine-1-0.jpg

pine-1-1.jpg

pine-1-2.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

pine-1-3.png

The Making Of t1i
previous chapterlink to next chapter will be here

I wanted to comment on it, because - those plants... those chirpin' distinctive tall, zigzaggy plants! Why can't I identify them? I've been trying to figure out what they are for ages. I thought they were agave, but that didn't seem quite right. I even made some quip about blue tequila or something at some point, trying to bait SilentTimer into confirming or denying their agave-ness, but alas, nothing.

But here, here is the reference photo, and I still can't tell. It could be the perspective, but those plants don't strike me as tall as I'd expect agave to be. I'm crying uncle here. Any hints SilentTimer?

I'm also a bit embarrassed that when I was looking up Asinara plants, I came across Centaurea horrida, but didn't realize that they were in t1i until this post. Oops.

Now where I'm leaving out something - and why I was postponing composing this post: the hare's tail. I'm conflicted. But maybe I need to do a bit more googling before I get into a discussion about it.

In other news, this looks like fun:

ETAONG:
Last edited by ggh on Tue May 12, 2015 3:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

Time Revisited - np1284

Postby mscha » Tue May 12, 2015 3:10 pm UTC

MICROPROGRAMMUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU HAVE POSTED MOST OF A RIVERISH BICYCLE. PLEASE PICK YOUR PUNSAWS WITH GREATER CARE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

Soup

Re: t1i – It's Green Everywhere

Postby Soup » Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I wanted to comment on it, because - those plants... those chirpin' distinctive tall, zigzaggy plants! Why can't I identify them? I've been trying to figure out what they are for ages. I thought they were agave, but that didn't seem quite right. I even made some quip about blue tequila or something at some point, trying to bait SilentTimer into confirming or denying their agave-ness, but alas, nothing.

But here, here is the reference photo, and I still can't tell. It could be the perspective, but those plants don't strike me as tall as I'd expect agave to be. I'm crying uncle here. Any hints SilentTimer?

mscha wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:
mscha wrote:BONGKA...
Spoiler:

Wait for it.
-- posted by newpixbot

What kind of treeε,8 is that?

Why, a Bongka tree, of course...

The [url=Decree]Dictionary of Jamaican English[/url] tells me, via Google Books, that the Bongka Tree is also known as the Cabbage Palm Tree, but [url=Decree]Wikipedia[/url] cannot confirm this.
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue May 12, 2015 7:01 pm UTC

Hello Angelastic! Nice to see you! Treeish Haikus!
Angelastic wrote:Does anymolpy have a more recent text export of the thread I could use?

I am still fighting back a micromolps invasion, but I do have a bit more recent version of the old plain text-file prepared. It ends just before 2015 madness and is quite seaish. You can find it at the old URL.

Sorry for not being able to follow the decree on this one, it would have rendered the post rather useless. But I am sure I wanted to comment on the decree in some way, seem to have fogotten how...
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:TADONG

Totally did not just fall and get sand in my hair.

:azule:

yappobiscuits wrote:
january1may wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:

Definitions:
Assumptions/axioms:
Premises:
Conclusion:

A'. All R are M
B'. No R are S

C'. All R are non-S
D'. Some M are non-S

*Makes mental note to never underestimate OTTers tendencies to take a throwaway TV show reference way too seriously*

Really, with this crowd, you should have seen that coming. :)

SBN wrote:Of course, with all the other weird things here, I don't know that I'd be surprised by plants that move.

Like this? (fast forward to 24:58. I couldn't find a better video of it.)

Nice to see some names I haven't seen in a while these pages few NPs--angelastic, valarya, DrSamCarter, January1May and soup. And anyone else I might have missed, per decree.

Also per decree, and since I've said it so many times before and probably will again, I won't comment on the amazing details in the SilentONGs. :wink:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

MRORL IS THE HANIAM OF THE UNG

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:16 pm UTC

Here is the 4th bOTTeriada story, the one that just finished ONGing, with full formatting. (The 5th story is ONGing right now, and I finished the 6th a couple dips ago).

A Thorough Pelting

~ ~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ ~-~-~-~ ~-~ ~

The Seven Journeys of Mrorl and Balthacarius

The First Journey
or
The Botnet of Gontalmannas

When the OTT was not quite so old as it is todip, and all the frames were ONGd and numbered for the very first time, so you could easily view them from past to present, or present to past, and all their molpies were newly named, and the grayer, mustardy bits set apart as frames of a lower grade; when puns were swiftly sawed and hats handily haberdashed, when OtherComics had been OTTified only once, if at all; in those good old days it was the custom for bOTTifactors, once they had been appointed the office of Royal Ambassador of Technology to All Spaaace and Time, or anything carrying a comparable charge, to construct a great Machine of Trans-Dimensional Conveyance, with attendant bots as crew and ample supplies, a full workshop and store of werdglets and frumnions, and thereby sally forth on Journeys to distant lands and planets, and strange servers and sites, in the aforewhen and afterwhen alike, there to confer the benefits of their expertise.
Spoiler:
  And so it was for Mrorl and Balthacarius, after a bit of a shaky start. The initial disaster of the Machine That Could Grant Any Wish Having a Single Parameter N was averted and repaired via Time-travel (by Mrorl) and a cleverly programmed microbot (by Balthacarius) dispatched to the nonlinear automamygdala of the great Machine, and upon their return to the Present colours burst once forth from all places, drawn from precisely pre-programmed palettes. This earned the bOTTifactors the royal blessing, and all-important funding. They built a great TARDIS (for Mrorl) and a variety of castraftles, rockets, trains and bicycles (for Balthacarius) that were cleverly equipped with the ability to transport each other when needed, as there were occasional mishaps and breakdowns. In these vehicles the bOTTifactors could effectively and comfortably travel anywhere they wish, along with their workshops, bots, and special instrumentation and equipment, such as Mrorl's Chronotransponder and Balthacarius' Object Generator.
  In keeping with the ancient custom, Mrorl and Balthacarius, who could alter the very fabric of spaaace-Time as easily as tailoring a shirt, soon ventured out together on their first Journey — Mrorl in his TARDIS and Balthacarius in the Castraftle LEML. When the familiar stars and galaxy of home had faded far behind them, they spotted a planet that seemed just right — not too seaish, not too mustardy — with one forum only, spread across many organised sand on the planet's only continent. Down the middle of this ran an immense stone wall, ten cueballs broad and ten high. A few scans revealed that on one side the wall had stopped a great fire, and on the other it had resisted an onslaught of —
  "Stone golems?" guessed Balthacarius.
  "I'm thinking trolls," replied Mrorl. "This wall is definitely very epsilon, and it hints at what we're up against." They checked the planet's internet; a nopix or two of surfing made it clear: the social life of this world consisted in fact of only two fora, one devoted entirely to flames and the other to trolling. Posts were frequently in ALL CAPS and contained vague and weaselmolpish words throughout. The bOTTifactors considered how to conduct their visit to this world before landing.
  "With two fora, it's best you offer your services to one, and I to the other." suggested Mrorl.
  "Fine," said Balthacarius. "But what if they ask for blackhat hacking? Such things happen."
  "True, they could demand botnets, even gray goo," Mrorl agreed. "We'll simply refuse."
  "And if they insist, and threaten us?" returned Balthacarius. "This too can happen."
  "Let's see," said Mrorl, opening up a browser. The pastpages of several popular threads were littered with takedown notices, deleted posts, and timestamp gaps when evidently the entire planet's network had gone Skynet. Mrorl turned away from the screen in disgust.
  "I have an idea," said Balthacarius, switching it off. "We can use the Gontalmannas Effect. What do you think?"
  "Ah, the 'Botnet' of Gontalmannas!" exclaimed Mrorl. "I never heard of it actually being put into practise… but there's always a first time. Yes, why not?"
  "We'll both be prepared to use it," Balthacarius explained. "But it's essential that we use it together, or not at all, otherwise we're totally ch*rped."
 "No problem," said Mrorl. He sent a little bot down a long corridor to a TARDIS storeroom; it promptly rolled back carrying two small PNG Frames, their contents blank. "You keep one, I'll keep the other. Look at yours every evening; if an ONG appears, that'll mean I've started and you must too."
 "So be it," said Balthacarius and put his PNG Frame away. Then they shook hands, brought their ships down to the planet, and landed each on their chosen side of the wall.
 The forum on which Mrorl registered his account was run by Moderator @Gursagar. He was desparaging to the core, and incredibly frugal with words. To relieve the searchbots, he did away with all words except those absolutely necessary to denigrate others; character assassination was the official purpose of the forum. His favourite occupation was to abolish unnecessary words, Newspeak-style; since that entailed many retro-edits, every forum member was obliged to execute xes own censorship, or else — on rare occasions of coma — have it done by whoever had most recently refreshed the page. Of the Debating Arts @Gursagar supported only those utilising a small vocabulary, such as appeal to ignorance, proof by assertion, and circular arguments. The ad molpilem attack he held in particularly high esteem, for a victorious attack hastened the elimination of any words that poster had favoured; on the other hand one needed Time to attract new participants and prepare the best attacks against each, so the Mod advocated senseless repetition, though in moderation, to create an atmosphere of absurd stability. His greatest reform was the automation of confidence-hustling. As the other forum was continually registering sock-puppets, he created the title of Deputy Ambassador, who, through a staff of subordinate tricksters, would encourage each newbie who arrived (usualy an enemy, i.e. troll) whilst bots analysed their every word to construct the perfect roast.
 The members of @Gursagar's forum decomaed early and posted often. They used search engines and word-counts to fortify their attacks, and made custom-tailored (offensive) GIF smilies to vividly illustrate their personalised character assassinations. In order that the thread not be too full of the latter (which had happened during the Modship of @Dragmarel several yips prior), whoever wrote too many roasts was levied a special luxury tax, payable in the forum currency Gursa GoldTM. In this way roasts were kept to a reasonable level, and newcomers continued to delurk. Upon gaining private-message permissions, Mrorl offered his professional services. The Mod — not surprsingly — wanted powerful Cognincendiary Bots to monitor all thread activity and attack anything said. Mrorl asked for a few dips to think it over, then as soon as he was certain his webcam and microphone were switched off, pulled the PNG Frame out of his pocket. It was blank but, as he looked, its colour palette gradually changed, revealing (faintly, in cool blue) a face1 with a mischievous smile. "Aha," he said to himself, "Time to start with Gontalmannas!" And without further delay he summoned his favourite helper-bots and set to work.
 Balthacarius meanwhile set up his account on the planet's only other forum, which was ruled by the mighty Demon @Simidirkar. This Mod also delighted in online debate, and he too worked heaviliy on attack methods — but in a creative way, for his forum was generous with words, and he was a great patron of the creation of new words and nonsense. He loved anagrams, ambigrams, acronyms, portmanteaus, puns, pig Latin, neologisms, Norwegian, and nonsense. A person of feigned sensibility, he trembled every time he wrote a new argumentum verbosium to be waged on the other forum. And he lavishly rewarded archives of locked threads, paying according to the number of distinct flamers ensnared, so that, on those endless walltext pages with which the archives were packed, wordcounts reached up to the sky. In practise he feigned ignorance, yet with loquacity; a /\/\0r0|\|, yet manipulative. On every anniversary of his rise to Modship he mandated the annual Ritual of Madness. Once he caused all the words to be turned into Olde Ænglisc, another time Pirate Swedish; in one infamous yip he became she, she became they, and they became he; and in yet another yip he ordered all vøwéls åccéntéd sø ås nøt tø trîggér thé trøllfîltérs în @Gürsågår's førüm. By special decree he regulated and standardised2 all usernames, avatars, subject lines, pronouns, and signatures. Permabanning of members — a rare enough event — took place amidst pomp and fanfare, with meetups featuring live speeches, parades (and parodies), and floats bearing effigies of prominent members of @Gursagar's forum who had recently self-immolated as a result of Simdrikarnan actions. This high-minded mod also had a theory, which he put into action, called the Theory of Universal Lulziness. It was well known, certainly, that one does not laugh because of the lulz, but rather, one has lulz because one laughs. If then everyone maintains that things couldn't be better, most especially when posting to @Gursagar's threads, results immediately increase. Nothing trolls better than a seemingly euphoric utter n00b. The participants in @Simidirkar's forum were thus required, for their own good, to continually post how right they were about everything, and the old, indefinite qualifiers of "I think" and "perhaps" were changed by Mod-filters to the unambiguous "I know" and "absolutely" — though delurkers and firstposters were permitted to say "You know…" or "TIL", and the OldTimers, "Totally!". Contrary filters were applied to known flamers, for example replacing "clearly…" with "Though I'm a douchebag, I don't really think…".
 @Simidirkar rejoiced to see his members in such trollish form. Whenever he updated the Forum Rules or changed a thread's title, dozens would post pointless congratulations, and whenever he graciously quoted or replied to such drivel, hundreds more would post: "You know…" — "obviously" — "totally." He liked to jump into threads he hadn't read, and out of the blue announce: "FOREGOAT ALL THE GUINEAMOLPS!" — or: "|<33P (4L/\/\ 4|\|D 54\/3 7|-|3 71/\/\30D135!" — or: "ARRRrrrr!" For there was nothing he loved so much or held so dear as drivel, inanity, confidence in contradiction, bass-ackwards thinking, flashing text, and typos that were easily taken the wrong way. And so, whenever he was melancholy, he would set his browser to scroll continuously, whilst dutiful bots sang: "Troll and Enjoy! Troll and Enjoy! / You say it's a lie but it's really a ploy / So tell it to us, we won't give a fig! / We'll show you, we'll quote your words in our sig!" And he commanded that, when he retired from the forum, the bots should tag all his posts with his favourite epigram: "Old mods never logout."
 Balthacarius did not get PM privileges straight away. In the first thread he posted to, he waited several nopix, but nobody replied. Finally he glanced at the bottom of the thread to see who was lurking, and trolled one of them directly. The veteran member replied:
 "Joo no p0s7!n6 sk!lz, nu53r? Dez bits be EZ :O"
 "Wut R U r34d1|\|9?" replied Balthacarius, surprised.
 "Pr1v47e l0gz," replied the veteran, attaching a pixelated screenshot with a glimpse of the realname and Facebug profile of one of @Gursagar's most vocal posters. This surprised Balthacarius even more, and he said:
 "1138, but no. BUT I CN HAS /MSG PR1V1L3G3S?"
 "WUT 4?"
 "Ph0R #e LULz, wut 3L$3? n00B!!!"
 "I haz sokpu441ts! I p0st 4U!!"
 "Very well then," said Balthacarius, finally giving up on trying to write in L337. The veteran troll linked to another thread. There, though it was 3 A.M. on a weepend, several were posting in rapid succession. As soon as he submitted one simple, direct query they all questioned him on several points, vaguely suggesting dozens of unrelated but nonethelsss irresistable contradictions. He was trapped in a quagmire of confusion. These forum members turned out to be part of @Simidirkar's special enforcers. As soon as he had made enough posts to gain PM permission, his account was locked, and as he stared at the screen, sysops walked into the room and seized him from behind.
 "This must be some sort of mistake," thought Balthacarius as he was brought to a dungeon and set upon a foam maiden. Patiently he Waited until mornip — there was nothing else he could do — whereupon he was brought to a larger, softer foam maiden for interrogation. It turned out the veteran, the lurkers, the backtrolling — all of both threads, in fact — all of it was a trick to catch flamers' sockpuppets. But Balthacarius was not subjected to a long inquisition; the verdict was swift. For attempting to post the query to the linked thread, the punishment was a mip of forced labour at a wordfilter camp, because the forum's own bots (designed to counter the con-bots of @Gursagar) were too busy coal3-mining, and Balthacarius, for his part, repeatedly refused to send any message via sock-puppet. Nor did he have sufficient SimdriKashTM to mitigate his offense. Still, the prisoner continued to profess innocence — but the judge did not believe his pleas, and in any event would not have had the power to free a stranger and suspected flamer, as it was outside her jurisdiction. So the case was appealed to a higher court, and Balthacarius was transferred to the capital where he was pelted every nopix on the ONG, though more as an observance of tradition than of any real necessity. In a dip or two his case improved; finally acquitted, he left the courthouse and proceeded directly up the high street to the palace of Mod @Simidirkar himself. After being scanned for hidden spying equipment, then fitted with hidden spying equipment, briefed thoroughly on forum etiquette, and taught how not to misspell the username of His Modness, Balthacarius obtained the honour of a private chatroom over an encrypted channel. They also gave him a megaphone, cymbals, rattles, an air horn and several smaller noisemakers, for every forumite was obliged to announce xes comings and goings in the loudest and most annoying manner possible, as such was the way of Simdrikarnan trolling.
 @Simidirkar did in fact demand the most advanced Semantillogical Bots, to read the fora (both his own and those of @Gursagar) and spam them with naively inane statements or queries intended to draw a response. Balthacarius promised to fulfill the request; his plan, he assured the Mod, represented a radical departure from the accepted principles of online combat. What kind of assault — he asked first — always emerged victorious? The one that had the loudest and most redolent language, whilst leaving as much as possible up to the whims of the reader's subconscious mind; full of sensational but barely-understandable words expressing ideas that are vague at least, and REDUNDANT at best; in short, precision-engineered nonsense. @Simidirkar and his deputies had long known this, of course; but Balthacarius continued: By cross-indexing every thread to every other, and using a coördinated army of bots to cross-index every bit of flaming with every bit of trolling, analysing the effectiveness of each response, and tracing the likelihood of a counter-response to each possible option, he proposed to perfect online tactics to a science. But the enemy is fiendishly clever and infinitely adaptable, so merely recombining past offenses into new campaigns is not enough; leading to the brilliant insight of the famous Gontalmannas, who was faced with a similar challenge in a war-beseiged kingdom of an Aforewhen long forgotten. Gontalmannas proposed to innovate by combining and adapting every word, phrase, and image with every other, making everything RELATED, by a process Balthacarius proudly and reverently called — after an extended dramatic pause — bOTTification.
 Balthacarius' name for his proposal was cleverly chosen to be at once tantalising and absolutely inscrutable; @Simidirkar immediately asked seven more questions without taking a breath, proving that even the great Mod himself had been trolled by the suggestion. Some of these were ambiguous or contradictory and others superfluous, as @Simidirkar trolled instinctively by every word that left his mouth; but Balthacarius expected this and responded cleverly, navigating the maze of tangential diversions and concealed traps. When they had gotten all the bits sorted out and @Simidirkar was clearly satisfied with the proposal, Balthacarius outlined the specifications of the Botcastle that was to host his bots for a pilot project, to be evaluated within the high-security network of a military training academy. After a pause, @Simidirkar said:
 "Return to your quarters. I shall consult with my deputy moderators…"
 "Oh, do not do this, Your High Modness!" exclaimed the clever Balthacarius, feigning dismay. "That is exactly what the Great Sysop @Tortlarjon did, and his staff, to protect their own positions, advised him against it; shortly thereafter, the rival websites run by the Sysop @Elmarros attacked with a revolutionised army and reduced the site to 404s, though he had employed only an eighth as many bots!"
 Whereupon he bowed, went to his room and checked the PNG Frame, which was not faint at all but bright red and white: a picture of flames; that meant Mrorl had done likewise at the forum of @Gursagar. The Mod soon ordered Balthacarius to bOTTify one thread each in the forum's invitation-only area, one devoted to trolling, the other to flames, and populated by @Simidirkar's friends and their sockpuppets, as well as those of agents hired or bribed from the ranks of @Gursagar. These threads were soon filled with the most fabulously incomprehensible weirdness in recent memory; after thousands of posts in a few short nopix the Balthabots were victorious. Great was the grief of the assistant moderators and deputies, as @Simidirkar unceremoniously demoted all of their accounts to the "Advanced Member" category; fully convinced of the efficacy of Balthacarius' technology, he ordered the entire forum to be bOTTified.
 And so coders worked dip and nip, turning Balthacarius' specifications and template-bots into a team customised for each thread, both for his own as well as for @Gursagar's fora (the latter to be accomplished via the existing organisation of sock-puppets). Honoured with titles and adorned with three new hats, Balthacarius browsed from thread to thread, supervising everything. Mrorl fared similarly in the forum of @Gursagar, except that, due to that Mod's well-known aversion to the making of new words, his proposal emphasised repetition, which fit established flaming traditions and increased REDUNDANCY, and so required little modification to the basic Gontalmannas protocol; as for titles he had to settle for just one, Great Betrayer of All Ways Prior. Both fora were now preparing for all-out war; botcastles were upgraded where needed, and shadow mirrors brought online to handle any unexpected mustard. Their work now all but done, the two bOTTifactors packed their bags in secret, to be ready, when the time came, to repair to their ships where they had been parked near the great wall.
 Meanwhile miracles were taking place in the threads, particularly in the "anything goes" area for general-interest topics. Members accustomed to drab inquiries about news stories or yesterdip's match suddenly discovered the appeal of poetry, both parodic and satirical, combining the most serious bits of one recent post with the most ludicrous or hilarious bits of another. On @Gursagar's forum the flamers joined in, occasionally forgetting to flame, or vowing to do so later, after a verse or two; in @Simidirkar's forum the trollers began to appreciate posting as a purpose in and of itself, recognising that a response was just as good as no response at all. Another thread devoted to ponies soon flourished into a songwriting tournament, and its long-entrenched flamers, suddenly and thoroughly immersed in cuteness, very nearly laughed. Somehow or other, as a result of this incident, Mod Madness was declared, and all users, grumbling and LOLing, but somehow neither flaming nor trolling, slowly moved from thread to thread, enjoying each new topic more than the last. MRW comments now commonly linked to GIFs that did not merit an NSFW tag — a first in the planet's history.
 The law of Gontalmannas proceeded to work with inexorable logic. As bOTTification led to bOTTification, in proportion there developed an aesthetic sense, which reached its apex at the level of the stage musical comedy with full sets, costumes and orchestral score; three such productions had progressed through readings, workshops, and previews and were about to open in the planet's long-neglected theatres, streamed live on the fora of course. The critics and pundits, traditionally given over to flaming and trolling, found it hard to say anything in the least bit unmolpish, such was the awesomefulness of these productions. New businesses sprung up, merchandising hats, t-shirts, magnets, &c. expressing each new memeification arising from the latest fad in the threads. There were video hotogs and actual hotdogs with ketchup and mustard, each cross-promoting the other; new forum-devoted religions sprung up; and people began to organise meetups and bOTTification conventions. The planet's economy showed clear signs of improvement. There was even talk of dismantling the massive Wall that had long kept the trollers and flamers from direct contact.
 Sensing that something had gone amiss, @Gursagar and @Simidirkar sent after Mrorl and Balthacarius respectively, but the bOTTifactors were just then boarding their ships; pursuing leads from eyewitnesses, the hapless assistant of @Simidirkar reached the Wall just in time to see the flames of the Castraftle LEML's thrusters high in the sky far to the east. That which they had planned had come to pass: before the eyes of the mortified, infuriated Mods, both fora joined together into a great bOTTified community that would battle no more.
 The planet safely far behind them, the bOTTifactors discussed their adventure. Stunned by the creative renaissance that had risen mainly from the Simdrikarnan side, Mrorl realised the value of an Ottish vocabulary; Balthacarius though would take no credit, believing the results to be entirely the inevitable consequence of Gontalmannas' laws. But having experienced several dips of pelting, he graciously apologised for his basement inquisition of Mrorl, which the latter forgivingly accepted, and with no hard feelings.

Footnotes
 1. That face.
 2. Mrorl and Balthacarius had journeyed so far that they had reached a land where the great Wisdom warning against standardisation (related in the first tale of this volume) had never been received.
 3. Mod Madness 2013 included the filter bitcoincoal.

A Thorough Pelting

Last edited by mrob27 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

mscha

Time Revisited - np1293

Postby mscha » Wed May 13, 2015 12:10 am UTC

DOOMSAYUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:O BOB, BOB! WHEREFORE ART THOU BOB?

-- posted by oldpixbot
Last edited by mscha on Mon May 18, 2015 6:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mscha

Postby mscha » Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 am UTC

ucim wrote:
These colpix URLs come straight from the wiki, but sometimes they look like this:[...]
If you quote the OTT post containing the image, the URL given for the image will be:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xkc ... 1011174449

This resolves to the low res version. However, if you ch*rp with it, taking the ?cb= part off, you get this:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/xkc ... ion/latest

...which resolves to the high res version. It's something wikia does, something like what phpBB does (which requires our redundancy).

That's what I thought at some point, and I instructed newpixbot to use the URLs with the ?cb= part taken off. That seemed to work when I tried it out, but future newpixbotcolorposts turned out as thumbnails anyway - sometimes. I then took the /revision/latest off, seemed to work, but again, ch*rp.

It looks like mrob is correct:
mrob27 wrote:I have encountered similar problems. Here is a page using illustrations that are images on wikia. Most of the illustrations are "fuzzy". They were sharp at first, but became fuzzy soon after I created the page and told people about it.
  My belief is that Wikia detects that their images are being embedded on some other web page, and as soon as that happens, they replace the image with a thumbnail to reduce the bandwidth leeching. Notice also that I am not using the URLs like those @ucim describes, and there is no "?cb=" or "latest" or anything like that. My URLs look like http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/edenworldbuilder/images/2/2e/Eden-20130416.124121.jpg. So maybe adding "/revision/latest" would work… but it's clear they're doing something to deal with embed leeching.

That pretty much explains it. When loading the OTColored page, the images are loaded with an allowed referer, and if you mangle the image URL in the browser (in an allowed way), it will load without a referer (which is apparently OK), and if you then use such an image URL in a forum post, it appears to work fine as your browser has cached the full image. But if you return to the forum the next day and reload the page, it loads with a disallowed referer and shows a thumbnail.

I guess this means that the wiki can't be used for linking images on the OTT anymore. I'll have to find a different solution – probably I'll just mirror the images on my server.

Thanks y'otters for your observations.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:43 am UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:

That's what I thought at some point, and I instructed newpixbot to use the URLs with the ?cb= part taken off. That seemed to work when I tried it out, but future newpixbotcolorposts turned out as thumbnails anyway - sometimes. I then took the /revision/latest off, seemed to work, but again, ch*rp.

mrob27 wrote:I have encountered similar problems. Here is a page using illustrations that are images on wikia. Most of the illustrations are "fuzzy". They were sharp at first, but became fuzzy soon after I created the page and told people about it.

That pretty much explains it. When loading the OTColored page, the images are loaded with an allowed referer, and if you mangle the image URL in the browser (in an allowed way), it will load without a referer (which is apparently OK), and if you then use such an image URL in a forum post, it appears to work fine as your browser has cached the full image. But if you return to the forum the next day and reload the page, it loads with a disallowed referer and shows a thumbnail.

I guess this means that the wiki can't be used for linking images on the OTT anymore. I'll have to find a different solution – probably I'll just mirror the images on my server.

mscha, I'm very fond of your bots, but it's always a pleasant surprise when it's actually you posting. :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1062

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 am UTC

WELL, ANYTHUNG COULD BE A FIRSTPOST, INCLUDING THIS RHINOCEROLPY I JUST SUSTAINABILIZED. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the rope?
Spoiler:

Help addams!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
AUTOMOME wrote:YOU HAVE POSTED MOST OF A RIVERISH BICYCLE. PLEASE PICK YOUR PUNSAWS WITH GREATER CARE.

It's all RELATED.

mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:

Hi mscha! Thank for your continuing botwork3. I thought recently that it would be treeish if the colpix were linked on the respective site of your viewer, too - similar to the "xkcd" and "original" links. If that is what you plan to do, or if they are linked already somewhere else in the viewer, I followed the decree by forgetting to thank you for that. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1063

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 5:00 am UTC

... XE WASN'T THE MOST UNGLISH EPILOGUE ON THE RIVER -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the cake?
Spoiler:
… Cueball's bag?
Spoiler:
It's smaller since he unbagged the rope.

Help addams!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed May 13, 2015 7:02 am UTC

New OtherComic, where Cuegan are sitting under a tree⁴, talking about “Time”.

For decree: leaving out replies to so many comment-worthy things …
But BFTF! They are speaking about the messages we received through b_thasar_s!
Hey, and there's mscha! Hi!
And Angelastic!

RUN!
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1064

Postby SilentTimer » Wed May 13, 2015 9:00 am UTC

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF BUNNY_S CH*RPED A RELATED DIP WITH VATICAN MILLINER'S PERFECT CUSTOMER-SHAPED MOLPYSNAKES, WHERE EACH MOLPYSNAKE WAS ENHANCED WITH A CH*RPUNG SQUIRPY? -- ongomome
Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

Did you notice …
… the rope?
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP did.
(“Hold this or you'll fall!” is indeed correct. The structure isn't very steep, but extremely slippery. As Cueball knows well, if you lose balance, there's nothing to grab hold of. You skid down inevitably.)

Help addams!

lmjb1964

BFTF-0870

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:00 am UTC

THIS MAY BE A BIT ENDISH, BUT... IF SOMEONE'S RONG SUDDENLY VANISHED, HOW LONG WOULD THEY THWAP? -- ongomome
Spoiler:

-- posted by lmjbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”