1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Glad to be of service

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:39 am UTC

In the new OtherComic, I found Lucky, lounging on a seaish rock :D [edit: oh, moody7277 beat me to it and everymolpy has been discussing it. I kinda blindposted. Oops.]
mrob27 wrote:
In subject, Eternal Density wrote:Amtoo, and Beanette, at, Gibraltar

When I read this, I immediately thought of "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" (STNG episode "Darmok" — that's the one where they encounter an alien race who speak only in terse allegory referencing their own literature. Which shows how old I am, or how much of a total geek, or possibly both. It also serves as a reminder of how much more difficult of a task translating Beanish might have been.)
Or, it could serve as a clue as to what I'm OTTifying. Or was... I need to get back to finishing off that one tricky verse so I can post it.

Endless Hotdogs' Decree: guess what song I might be OTTifying.
Bonus challenge: find a video from DesertBus that includes the start of the song. https://www.youtube.com/user/DesertBusForHope
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:39 am UTC

In the meantime, not much seems to be happening with the mustard·bot·mobile.
Spoiler:
Or is there? It's hard to say for sure with the camera angle changing, but it looks like the cartridge tray has started to move ever so slowly down towards the sea¹.

ETA: beesnakes!
Spoiler:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0420

Postby mscha » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

LONGVIEW...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

UVhRTEdCNkVFIj5BJjQ4IkNEdnxtgYRxfYFwbXVpTUYsNzYCQzkDLDYCKSkBMy0BTEM7a2xiXGJZXFFJVkxERTw1OzMsNC0oJSQbEA8QAQICUkc+Pj5BNTc3aGRbQD9BJSgoIh4aBw4RTUMFM0ACIxwAMTMYfIBvFBocYE9EEg0EGBcDMUE7DBEILjAvQTguJC40HSw1GyIlCRYXHSQEZVpScmZbFx4iRjwUIR8gYVZMCR4gHSEeiHRZBzMuBigmHDk8Y08HxKqWCDcxVUcDHT9AbVguaFQFiGskhWcGdl0Ge2EGHkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

mscha wrote:It's hard to say for sure with the camera angle changing, but it looks like the cartridge tray has started to move ever so slowly down towards the sea¹.

I'm pretty sure you're right - this latest frame really shows it at the top of the tray. Good catch!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

NoMouse

HAST SEEN THE HATTED RIBBIT?

Postby NoMouse » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:12 pm UTC

Wow, the new ottercomic is ch*rping huge! I got 164 coins in about an hour and half. Although at one point, I got stuck inside the walls of the Star Destroyer, so I went to explainxkcd to see if there are any hacks that would allow me to get unstuck. Of course there were!
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Soup

Postby Soup » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

I can only assume I'm well and truly ninja'd on this, but... Lucky!

Spoiler:
Capture.PNG

ETA: Yep.
ZoomanSP wrote:Here's Lucky:
Spoiler:
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

HES

Preemptive Poking

Postby HES » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

Gentle reminder that the othercomic has an otherthread for any un-RELATED musings.
He/Him/His Image

katakissa

Postby katakissa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:30 pm UTC

Do otters here still do full ott blitzes? I started one once, probably over a yip ago... can't remember my old forum login, among other things... but I think I'm going to try again. Though it'd probably take me well over a mip at this rate - 2400 pages wow. Even if i do 2-3 newpix straight every day, that'll take a while...

Still, worth a go, don't you think? There's such HISTORY in this thread...

Well, here goes nothing...

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

@ggh wrote:
mscha wrote:It's hard to say for sure with the camera angle changing, but it looks like the cartridge tray has started to move ever so slowly down towards the sea¹.
I'm pretty sure you're right - this latest frame really shows it at the top of the tray. Good catch!
Confirmed, see 1:41-1:43.

lmjb1964, I hope your micromolpfight is going well. They got me too, even if briefly, and I'm still sneezing now and then. (There were also dizziness episodes but they seem unREALTED.)
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

taixzo

Re: Preemptive Poking

Postby taixzo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

HES wrote:Gentle reminder that the othercomic has an otherthread for any un-RELATED musings.

On the subject of RELATED musings, I found IT:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 10.58.52 AM.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

THE WIP IS A LIE

Postby mrob27 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:23 pm UTC

For decree: So far I found Linus and Lucy but that's a long shot…

ONG: Time After Time: t-1_0421
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0421 at 20151125 16:23:27 UTC = newpix 23533.39
DON'GT ENHANCE ME, BRO!
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

TEZCP1BMNkVFIj5BPj5BJjQ4IkNEUVhRfIBvgYRxfYFwdnttbXVpT0cuODYCQzkDLDYCKSkBMy0BOzMsbWxiXGNZVkxETEM7RTw1My0oJSQbFBocEg0EAQICUkc+XFFJHDk8HkFCHSEeQD9BJSgoIh0aDREITEICM0ABIx0BNTc3Bw4RMEE9GRcDYE9EYVZMamRbRjwWLjAvQTguJC40Fx4iGyIlHSw1UUgVZVpSCRYXHSQEIB8gMjIYDyAbiHNXBzMuBigmCR4gtp6MdV0GVUcDCTcxblkraFQFhGkshWcGfGEGZ1IJHT9AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
— lovingly converted from RHTF by makepost
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:15 pm UTC

I think whoever is making these mysteryongs got distracted by the hoverboard comic.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:24 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:On the subject of RELATED musings, I found IT:
Spoiler:

Otter-Wan Kenobi says:

This isn't the IT we're waiting for.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0422

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 am UTC

GASPONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

TEZBNUVFIkNEIj5BPT1AJjQ4W2JYfIBvgYRxfoFwdnxtbXVpUkc+ODYCQzkDLDYCMy0BGRcCKSkBEg0EUVhRaWRbVkxETEM7RTw1NTc3OzMsMy0oJiUaFBocAgICXFFJbGxiIxwBQTguJSgoDREITEMCM0ABQD9BIh4bBw4RUUYZT0YsYVZMHSQEIR8gZVpSMDMYJC40HSw1Fx4iRTsWGyIlc2ZcLjAuJ0A7CR4gCRYXHSEdiXRVBigmaFQFuaGPBzMuHDk8VkcEdV0GhWcGa1cvhWoqfGEGZVAHHT9ACDcxHkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:35 am UTC

For those OTTers living where tomorrow is a holidip, I hope it is all you want it to be. If you work retail, my thoughts are with you in this time of trouble.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mrob27

UNGLISH OLDPICES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby mrob27 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:02 am UTC

petermottola wrote:The new expansive comic made me wonder whether this thread was still active. You people are awesome.

Yep, a few dozen (or more?) people stuck around and started doing fanfics and stuff like that. The frames you're seeing now are prequels. The plain comic-type frames are taking place just a little bit before xkcd 1190 "Time", and the colour 3D computer-rendered ones are in Time's distant past but in our own distant future. (We think so anyway, the author is anonymous)

katakissa wrote:Do otters here still do full ott blitzes? I started one once, probably over a yip ago… can't remember my old forum login, among other things… but I think I'm going to try again. Though it'd probably take me well over a mip at this rate - 2400 pages wow. Even if i do 2-3 newpix straight every day, that'll take a while…
  Still, worth a go, don't you think? There's such HISTORY in this thread…
  Well, here goes nothing…

There are certainly people still doing that, I'm one (though I stopped for a while). There's a lot of fun craziness and every few pages someone mentions something that makes me one of today's lucky 10,000
  I took a lot of notes which you might find useful, for the first 1750 pages which is as far as I have gotten so far. Also, here's an index and a bunch of links to things people have created.

(I also replied to the above two people by PM, just in case they didn't check back here)

SBN wrote:If you work retail, my thoughts are with you in this time of trouble.

What trouble? :? But I learned today that the chips in EMV cards provide end-to-end encryption with a one-time-use key, so that's pretty cool…

mrob27 Image

Time After Time: t-1_0423
by mrob27 » ONGing t-1_0423 at 20151126 04:02:54 UTC = newpix 23545.05
THESE AREN'T THE PHONESAWS YOU'RE HOTDOGGONG FOR
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

NUVFIj5BIkNEJzQ4XWNZfoFwgYRxdnxtbXVpbGxiNzYCQzkDKCkBDREIIxwBMy0BMy0oLjAvVkxETEZCTEM7RTw1NTc3OzMsJSgoFBocEg0EAQICUkc+XFFJPj5BUVdRUUYZLDYCJSQcUkcsTEICGRcCQD9BIR4aLUE7NEACQTguIB8hCRYXYE9DYVZMfIBvZVpSHSQEMjIZFx4iRDsXJC40GyIlBw4RHSw1a2VbVkcEHSEdCR4gBigmBzMunYp6v6eTdV0Gb1othWkahWcFiG02Z1IKHT9AfGEGaVQFCDcxiHNUHDk8HkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
— lovingly converted from RHTF by makepost

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0424

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 am UTC

NIBELONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Ij5BNkVFIkNEJzQ4aGVbfIBvgYRxfYFwdnxtbnVpXFFJNzYCQzkDKCkCGBcDEg0EOzMsTEM7Bw4RRTw1JSgoIh4aTEZBUkc+VkxEPT5BHkFCbGxiLDcCIxwBMy0BNTc3FBocQD9BAQICUEcsTEICM0ABMy0oLjAvUlhRXGJYJSQbCRYXQTguHSQEYVZMLUE7MjMYDRIHSDwSJC40HSw1GyIlZVpSdGZcFx4iVUcEHCEdHzACCR4hU0gVlYJzvKSSBigmaFQFBzMua1cwdl0Gim40hWcGfGEFZlEKHT9ACTcxiXNUHDg8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Eternal Density

AKA Street-level MCU

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:38 am UTC

If only I had a computer and life that could Run Fallout 4, it would be my dream hotdog and I'd play it for wips!
Instead I'll have to make my own riverish ones.
mrob27 wrote:For decree: So far I found Linus and Lucy but that's a long shot…

Good attempt, but not the right one. You were far closer before actually.
katakissa wrote:Do otters here still do full ott blitzes? I started one once, probably over a yip ago... can't remember my old forum login, among other things... but I think I'm going to try again. Though it'd probably take me well over a mip at this rate - 2400 pages wow. Even if i do 2-3 newpix straight every day, that'll take a while...

Yes, definitely yes :D

Speaking of blitzing, Netflix series seem designed for blitzers! :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 am UTC

katakissa wrote:Do otters here still do full ott blitzes? I started one once, probably over a yip ago... can't remember my old forum login, among other things... but I think I'm going to try again. Though it'd probably take me well over a mip at this rate - 2400 pages wow. Even if i do 2-3 newpix straight every day, that'll take a while...

Randalspeed on your Blitz Katakissa!
In other news: my work TA is so mustardy todip that I feel like I could squeeze a Blitz in between telling the computer to open an autocad file and actually having it on my screen. Luckily I have some experience waiting for it.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

HES

Re: AKA Street-level MCU

Postby HES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:If only I had a computer and life that could Run Fallout 4, it would be my dream hotdog and I'd play it for wips!

My HFFS is suffering. My coma is suffering. But my enjoyment is Ubermolpish.

Neil_Boekend wrote:In other news: my work TA is so mustardy todip that I feel like I could squeeze a Blitz in between telling the computer to open an autocad file and actually having it on my screen. Luckily I have some experience waiting for it.

We have been experiencing similar issues lately. Every day I have heard somebody say "the network isn't usually this slow". When it was first said they were right.
He/Him/His Image

katakissa

Re: AKA Street-level MCU

Postby katakissa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:43 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Yes, definitely yes :D

Speaking of blitzing, Netflix series seem designed for blitzers! :D

They really are - I spent last weekend blitzing the new Jessica Jones show with my wife - had to limit the number of eps we watched at once bc WOWOWOW was it emotionally intense, but Oh me yarm MAH GIRL.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Randalspeed on your Blitz Katakissa!
In other news: my work TA is so mustardy todip that I feel like I could squeeze a Blitz in between telling the computer to open an autocad file and actually having it on my screen. Luckily I have some experience waiting for it.

Thankyoooooou! Also bluh, Randalspeed on your work stuff, it's always a pain relying on mustardy technology to be able to do your job. ><

mrob27 wrote:There are certainly people still doing that, I'm one (though I stopped for a while). There's a lot of fun craziness and every few pages someone mentions something that makes me one of today's lucky 10,000

Thank you for the links! And the PM. :) I will definitely peruse those links at some point.

On newpage 10 and counting, can't wait to be able to make a sig to better keep track of my progress. :3
KataBlitz progress: newpage 38/newpix 113
KataBlitz duration: 4 dips

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0425

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

SURFEITONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

IkNEIj5BPT5BNUVFTEZCJzQ4NTc3XGNZdnttgYRxfYFwbnVpUlhRQzkDNzYCLDcCKCkBAgICIx0BMy0oTEM7RTw1Ih0ZVkxEUkc+KEA+aWRbbGxiRz0UMy0BGRcCMDEYOzMsJSgpQT9BTEICEg0FFBocM0ABIh8gXFFJHSMEBw4RYVZMUkgTDREIJiQbQTgufIBvZVpSLjAvJC40GyIlHCw1Fx4iUUcuHSEddGdcCRUXCR4gBigmBzMuVUcDnIl6xKuXdl0GaVQFbVkuhWothWcGfGEGZ1INHT9ACDcxiXNSHDk8HkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

katakissa's sig wrote:KataBlitz progress: newpage 12/newpix 42
KataBlitz duration: 1 dip
KataBlitz ? Yeah, I like the sound of it. Randallspeed on your KataBlitz :D
Send out a KataReport whenever you feel like it ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: UNGLISH OLDPICES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:09 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
SBN wrote:If you work retail, my thoughts are with you in this time of trouble.

What trouble? :?

"Black Friday" The insanity that apparently the second we finish being thankful for what we have, we must acquire more.

Welcome to our two latest Revealers the Recent!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

mrob27

MY REDUNDABIKE SUSTAINABILIZETH OVER

Postby mrob27 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:17 pm UTC

"Black Friday" — The insanity that apparently the second we finish being thankful for what we have, we must present gifts to everybody else, and in so doing, go crazy trying to figure out what the recipient will like.

At least that's what it was like for me, up until I reached age 40 or so. But this insanity is nothing new — it has been the same every year, n'est-ce pas? The only new "trouble" I could find in the newss is that retailers are apparently worried that EMV transactions (amazingly still a novelty in the United States) will make for more Waiting on queue during the old-fashioned "brick-and-mortar" shopping experience.

swith searches like this.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

Black Friday isn't about finding christmas presents, and the frenzy is nothing to do with working out what others will like. It's about grabbing that massively reduced 50" TV for yourself, the frenzy is because it's limited stock so you have to get to it before everyone else. It's about fighting your way through a frantic crowd in a packed retail store, and fighting the person who picked up the last one. That is why it's trouble for the staff.

Drastic but limited-stock price cuts create flashpoints. It's an exercise in selfishness. I hate the fact that, even though we don't even do thanksgiving, Black Friday has wormed it's way to the UK.

It must be the worst day of the year for front-line store staff (but the best day for the managers and accountants).
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

HES wrote:Black Friday isn't about finding christmas presents, and the frenzy is nothing to do with working out what others will like. It's about grabbing that massively reduced 50" TV for yourself, the frenzy is because it's limited stock so you have to get to it before everyone else. It's about fighting your way through a frantic crowd in a packed retail store, and fighting the person who picked up the last one. That is why it's trouble for the staff.
I never actually got the rationale behind Black Friday and what its link to thanksgiving is.

HES wrote:Black Friday has wormed it's way to the UK.
Wha..? I turn my back for 20 years and this happens ? In all seriousness though, I'm not that surprised. The UK (and the rest of the world, to a slightly lesser extent) seems to be increasingly mimicking US culture.

HES wrote:It must be the worst day of the year for front-line store staff
If the Bay12 "things that made you sad today" thread is to be believed, it is.

HES wrote:(but the best day for the managers and accountants).
More for the managers than the accountants, I'd reckon, unless accountants are paid as a percentage of the shops daily income.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

karhell wrote:I never actually got the rationale behind Black Friday and what its link to thanksgiving is.

Coincidence. Black Friday is merely the day when retailers, on average, go into the black (start making a profit) after accounting for their operating costs for the year.

karhell

Postby karhell » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
karhell wrote:I never actually got the rationale behind Black Friday and what its link to thanksgiving is.

Coincidence. Black Friday is merely the day when retailers, on average, go into the black (start making a profit) after accounting for their operating costs for the year.

Makes sense. Thank you ^^

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0426

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

CROSSHATCHONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Ij5BNUVFTEZBIkNENTc3JzQ4UVdRbnVpgYRxfoFwdntta2VbNzYCQzkDLDYCMy0BGBcCKCkBDREJOzMsRTw1FBocTEM7VkxEUkc+LUE7XGJYXFFJIxwBQTguEA8QQD9BPT5AbWxiTEUaTEMCHSQDEg0EMy0oAQICIh0aJSgpYVZMSTwVJiQbMTMZfIBvBw4RHCEdLjAuFx4iGyIlJC40CRUXZVpSkoJ1M0ABHCw1CB4gBigmHDk8aFQFVkcD17ulEDAvZlEJUUYralYvdV0GiHNUh2wwhWcGfGEGBzMuHT9ACTcxoY19HkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
HES wrote:Black Friday isn't about finding christmas presents, and the frenzy is nothing to do with working out what others will like. It's about grabbing that massively reduced 50" TV for yourself, the frenzy is because it's limited stock so you have to get to it before everyone else. It's about fighting your way through a frantic crowd in a packed retail store, and fighting the person who picked up the last one. That is why it's trouble for the staff.
I never actually got the rationale behind Black Friday and what its link to thanksgiving is.

There's no link, other than that many businesses are closed, so it became a convenient day for shopping. Shopping is what the US does on holidays. Except the 4th of July, when we blow things up.

karhell wrote:
HES wrote:Black Friday has wormed it's way to the UK.
Wha..? I turn my back for 20 years and this happens ? In all seriousness though, I'm not that surprised. The UK (and the rest of the world, to a slightly lesser extent) seems to be increasingly mimicking US culture.

HES wrote:It must be the worst day of the year for front-line store staff
If the Bay12 "things that made you sad today" thread is to be believed, it is.

HES wrote:(but the best day for the managers and accountants).
More for the managers than the accountants, I'd reckon, unless accountants are paid as a percentage of the shops daily income.

Accountants generally like their businesses to make money, and they may well get a bonus if it does well. I think it is mostly the executives rather than the managers. Managers are right in there working, dealing with both customers and staff, with no way to please them both. (Or possibly, either one.)

I will not enter a store today or tomorrow. (Or shop online.) The wolpies and I are considering whether it makes sense to find a place where shoppers are on Saturday, and offer wolpy cuddling as stress relief. I can't decide if that would be helpful, or just encouraging the madness.

Some Ways to Time

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np652

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

RIDESHARONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:PUSH BUTAN, RECEIVE [SPOILERS]

-- posted by randompixbot

katakissa

Postby katakissa » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

KataReport #1:

Greetings from the past, otters!

On page 12 there is a mild debate on whether a 2 pixel rise in the sea level was intentional or simply a shifting of the image. They know not what awaits them. For some reason I find it amusing that there's so much theorizing that Randall's wife was pregnant and this was how he was announcing it. I think it just amuses because of how private he is - it feels like he would've maybe made a comic once the baby was born, if anything, which wouldn't sit with the theme of the comic. Maybe that's just me, though - I know things the early waiters did not.

Kabuthunk wrote:My prediction... I have a feeling that this won't be some thing that just ends by next week. I get the feeling that this will end up being some massive story of sorts that lasts for a full year, with several updates a day.

Not quite so long, but more updates a day than this waiter was probably expecting long-term, so it evens out, I think.

The dire interpretations from the Dark Period are continuing, though less intensely. I can understand that no one really had any ideas at this point but gosh, guys, sometimes a sandcastle is just a sandcastle! Then again, at this point, it does seem like it might be metaphorical rather than just a story. Still, I agree with the couple of people who are expressing discomfort at the idea of theorizing about Randall's actual life, specifically in such negative ways (cancer, miscarriage, etc). Cool it on the conspiracy theories, past-people.

A 404 error for newpix 50 caused a mild panic. It went live approximately 14 minutes late.

Newpix 52, the first spoken words and Cueball's exit - we're officially in the Megan Period, and someone on Newpage 15 really sums up the feeling about this turn of events:

free-bee wrote:What!? I was not expecting such a twist.

And with that I think I'm wrapping up for the time being - it IS Thanksgiving after all, even if I'm home alone with my puppies. I should indulge myself a little. Maybe with ice cream. :D
KataBlitz progress: newpage 38/newpix 113
KataBlitz duration: 4 dips

HES

Postby HES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

I want puppies!

katakissa wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:My prediction... I have a feeling that this won't be some thing that just ends by next week. I get the feeling that this will end up being some massive story of sorts that lasts for a full year, with several updates a day.

Not quite so long,

Of course it was so long. Longer in fact. Why else are we still here?

*nd? What *nd?

Now I want puppies and ice cream.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

HES wrote:I want puppies!

katakissa wrote:

Not quite so long,

Of course it was so long. Longer in fact. Why else are we still here?

*nd? What *nd?

Now I want puppies and ice cream.

RSIR
Spoiler:
dog-puppy-ice-cream-sweet-cute1.jpg
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0427

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

NONMANUFACTURONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Ij5BPj5BIkNENUVFTEZCNTc3JzQ4bXVpdnttgYRxfoFwXFFJNzYCQzkDMy0BKCkCAgICGBYCIxwBDREIMy0oRTw1EQ8QOzMsTEM7Ukc+VkxEUkcrLDcCEg0EHSQEIR0aQT9AQTguYVZMUlhRLEA8bm1iJSgpa2VbJiQbXGJZSDwTBw4RFBocNDMXfIBvLjEuHCEdFx4iGyIlFzEqCRYXJS4zZVpSHCw0UkkUTEICkoJ4NEACBigmCR4hDiAYaFQF2b2ndV0FZVEMHDk8a1gzVUcDh2smfGEHhWcGHD9ABzMuCTcxiXRXHkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

RELATED.

ETA: What the ch*rp is Beanette doing? The world as she know it is about to e**, and she's dancing?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:RELATED.

Now this is nicely organized desktop sand! :D
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

YOU CAN'T ENHANCE YOUR PUZZLE AND SACRIFICE IT TOO

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
mscha wrote:RELATED.

Now this is nicely organized desktop sand! :D

:azule:

Yay for Revealers the Recent! And a molpish Katablitz to katakissa!

I am also very confused about Short Bean's behavior. Maybe it's some sort of dance calling on the gods to stem the flood. Like an anti-rain dance. Or maybe the stress has driven her mad. Mad, I tell you! (I think that's a line from some movie.)

I wish everyone a very molpish Thanksgiving Dip, or, if you prefer, a molpish November 26H, or, if you instead prefer, a molpish 23rd of Visitation Ja!. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to rush off to the mall since I'm SURE I'm going to win that million dollars they're giving away.

I kid. It's time to head off to dinner. I will not shop todip, nor tomorrip, but I may do some shopping in support of Small Business Saturdip.

The OTT, and all of its residents, is one of the things I'm thankful for!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0428

Postby mscha » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:30 am UTC

FLAMONGO...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

IUNEPT5BIj5BNUVFTEZBKDQ3NTc3XGJYdnttgYRxfoFwbnVpaWRbNzYDKCkBAgICGBcCEg0EHSQEJSMcOzMsRTw1My0oJSgpTEM7Ukc+QTguVkxEUlhRQzkDQD9BXFFJKEA8Sj4TDRIIb21iFBocBw4RYVZMMywBNTMYIR0ZIxwAfIBvZVpSIB8hLjEvHCEdFx4iGyIlJS4zCRYXDiQfBigmCB4gHCw0UUYrcmZcloZ7LDcCM0ABTEICh3RcBzMuaVQFVUcD2r6ofGEFHDk8b1ouhWcGdV0GZVAJiGwtVUoTHD9ACTcxHkFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”