1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0695

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:30 am UTC

PROPORTIONONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

Code: Select all

AQQMAgoUAxIcAgwlAxklDiAfBRc6CSMqEBs+ER5EJjdyMkaOAAE9HzBgAAJAGCdWITJoFCJMBBpAGytgEyssAyczDDI6CzdCGz5BHkJCJE5RHktQGjc2HkA+J0lFEy4xID9ALFZTDzEvGTEuJUM9IT05OmpjLFJML2BdPXZyNVxTLV9gL2BgPnFqRnxyOmNZM1ZLIjkvSHZmTYJ0Qm5hME5DVYdzQ2paT4BuVIJtUX1oPmBPMk0-SnFeXJJ9ZJqDXJWCY5J3Uo+DUHZfAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Pfhorrest

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:53 am UTC

Why rhe fuck is this thread not dead yt /is there any goddamn way to block or ignore this so it stops coming up under new posts jesus fuck just die already
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

NoMouse

NI NI NI NI OTTERCOMIC TARDIS

Postby NoMouse » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 am UTC

I guess this is like 2000 pages since someone said "fuck" in this thread for the last timef. :mrgreen: You know, there are fan-made sequels to Time, one of them is running right now, so we are still pretty entertained and it's not completely off-topic, which would seem almost impossible.

fNot counting "ch*rp", of course

ETA: Ok, I did the math and the above statement is not true at all. It was almost exactly 100 pages ago. Which is still impressive in comparison to average internet forum thread. :D And if you don't count the citations and the weird seaish copy-pasted haiku, then the last proper "fuck" was said about 200 pages ago.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:49 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:is there any goddamn way to block or ignore this so it stops coming up under new posts

Actually, I've been having similar grievances with Forum Games. Computer people, is there (/can there be) a script or somesuch that automatically marks certain threads/forums as read? The view unread posts page would be a lot more useful if it was "view unread posts except the ones I don't care about"
He/Him/His Image

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 am UTC

Inspired by a comment on the FaceBug OTT page:

Redundant
Spoiler:
Neil Hat Quote.jpg
It's right every Time
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0696

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

INTONGIBLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AhIdAQQMAgoUAxklAgwlBRc6EyssCSMqEBs-Ey4xER1EFCJMAAE9AANAGChYHS1kKT2BHzBoIDJrJTh4LUKMBRpAGTEuDiFIAyczDTI6DjdCHkJDGz5BGjc3JE5RLmFjH0A+DjAtJklFLFZTJUM9LFJMOWljIT05NFxTL2BfOmNZPXVxPXFrTYN1R3xySHZmTImAM1ZLQm5hME9DQmpbSHFeToBvUn1pXJaDU4JtZJV7XZF7Voh1Z6CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:51 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:is there any goddamn way to block or ignore this so it stops coming up under new posts

Actually, I've been having similar grievances with Forum Games. Computer people, is there (/can there be) a script or somesuch that automatically marks certain threads/forums as read? The view unread posts page would be a lot more useful if it was "view unread posts except the ones I don't care about"

That's a pretty common grievance, apparently, and not only with PHPBB. SimpleMachines has a similar issue, for instance.

As far as forum software is concerned, it's possible to implement such a system, but hacking it onto PHPBB is (I could be wrong, though, didn't check) too much of a hassle to be worth it.
As for a userscript... Well the basic mechanism is that when an unread post is loaded, all previous unread posts in that thread are marked read*, so at first glance, such a script would need to load the last post of every topic you blacklist every time you call a page (or a bit less often, with unread-post detection), which would quickly get unwieldy. Then again, maybe there's another way that would make the process less painful, but I don't know of it.

*actually, rereading that, I reckon it's the other way round. The forum keeps a list of last posts read per (user, thread) and all posts loaded with a greater id are signalled as "unread". This is only speculation on my part, but the principle remains : if you want to remove the "unread" marker, you need to load the latest post in the thread or manipulate the forum database directly, which I strongly advise against.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

It would only need to run as you click on the button for the page with the unread posts. At that point the script must load the unwanted topic (post number 999999alotofnines99). It doesn't even have to load it fully, only requesting it may sent the right state. Then the script must load the new posts page. The server load would only increase by a bit, especially as there is probably no reason to load attachments or whatever.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:26 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:It would only need to run as you click on the button for the page with the unread posts.
Indeed, I hadn't thought about that page (I don't use it), and was thinking more in terms of general forum browsing... Maybe I overcomplicated things >.<
Neil_Boekend wrote:At that point the script must load the unwanted topic (post number 999999alotofnines99). It doesn't even have to load it fully, only requesting it may sent the right state.
Indeed. As for when the flagging is done, this will need additional testing.
Neil_Boekend wrote:Then the script must load the new posts page. The server load would only increase by a bit, especially as there is probably no reason to load attachments or whatever.
Is this something that can actually be done ? It would indeed be pretty handy.

So yeah, it's looking slightly more feasible to create such a script. Still, I'm not yet proficient enough with javascript to attempt it. Maybe our more experienced scriptsmiths would like to chime in ?
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0697

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

AQUALONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQQMAgkUAhIdAgslAxklBBc7CiQqEBs-Ey4xEyssAAE9GDEuEyJLGChYER1EAAJAHS1kITNtJDd2KT6DBBlAGjc3HjFqOFKqN1GnMkmZLkWRDiFLAyczDjdBGz5BDTI6H0A+HkJDJklFK1ZUH0xRJE5QLF5gPHVzJEI9L2FhLVJMOWljMmBcNFxUIT05PXFrOmRZR3xyTIJ1R3VnQm5hVZCAM1ZMQmpbT4BuME5EVYh1W5F9UX1oSHFfU4JtZJV7AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm UTC

For a moment I thought Hammock Girl was going to deliver the kill stroke, but then I realized they had swapped places.
(Yes, silly I know... he is a lot taller.)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
HES wrote:

That's a pretty common grievance, ...
... and a lot more of this.

THIS is why I really like the OTT. I may not be the most prolific contributer to the thread but I always read along. It feels like home. I come here for fun and nice people, blitzreports, emphatic posts, news about wolpies and ffs, missing Blitzgirl, the antics of the beanies and people who obviously are a lot more knowledgeable than me, enabling me to be one of todays 10.000.

And sometimes there is a post which may be construed as somewhat rude. But not like in other places of the net, there is no erruption of an argument or flames. No, there is statistics and helpfull acknowlegdement of the deeper problem which has elicited the aforementioned post. (And by doing so aggrevating it by pushing the thread higher each time again. :-)

Thank you, OTTers.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0698

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:30 pm UTC

SOOCHONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQQMAQkUHC5lAhIdAgwlAxklBBc7ER9GEi4xCiQqEyssAAE9AAFABBlAGDEuBCYzDTdCDTI5CjEvH0tRGTc3HkJEJE5RGz5BLF5hJklGH0A+K1ZUNFxTLmJjIT45L2BfPndzLVJMJEI9PXFrOWljM1ZMR4eER3xyOmNZQm5hR3VnQmtcME9ET4BvVIh1UX1pTYJ1SXFfVIJtXZN+YpR7AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
karhell wrote:
HES wrote:

That's a pretty common grievance, ...
... and a lot more of this.

THIS is why I really like the OTT. I may not be the most prolific contributer to the thread but I always read along. It feels like home. I come here for fun and nice people, blitzreports, emphatic posts, news about wolpies and ffs, missing Blitzgirl, the antics of the beanies and people who obviously are a lot more knowledgeable than me, enabling me to be one of todays 10.000.

And sometimes there is a post which may be construed as somewhat rude. But not like in other places of the net, there is no erruption of an argument or flames. No, there is statistics and helpfull acknowlegdement of the deeper problem which has elicited the aforementioned post. (And by doing so aggrevating it by pushing the thread higher each time again. :-)

Thank you, OTTers.

This. Totally this.

I was a little sad to see such hostility from a former OTTer. It didn't even sound like Pfhorrest. I guess it was brought up by a lot of frustration. But as Sciscitor pointed out, others (OTTers) turned it into a useful and educational discussion. You guys are all awesomeful.

Pfhorrest, visit more often! You'll see there are still lots of molpish things happening, and then when it comes up in your unread posts list, you'll be happy.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:THIS is why I really like the OTT. I may not be the most prolific contributer to the thread but I always read along. It feels like home. I come here for fun and nice people, blitzreports, emphatic posts, news about wolpies and ffs, missing Blitzgirl, the antics of the beanies and people who obviously are a lot more knowledgeable than me, enabling me to be one of todays 10.000.

Thank you, OTTers.

I wanted to say something, but got awesomefully ninja'd by Sciscitor.

Thank you, Sciscitor.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Thank you, OTTers.

ETA: I also wanted to comment on the MysteryONGs (What are the Beanies doing? Are that axes? Molpy molpy?) but got awesomefully ninja'd by OTThers. :)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "No Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:53 pm UTC

I'm surprised that there are people who try to read every other comic discussion thread. For me, exactly two comic discussion threads are marked as having no unread posts (not counting sticky/announcement threads), specifically this one and the Superb OwlCon Text one. The remaining 47 threads are marked as having unread posts, and that causes me no trouble at all.

But if it must be hidden, it can with the following script (which I tested in the Chrome console, so I expect it can be run be Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey)
Warning: MAXIMUM HERESY!!!

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Thread hider
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  hide specific discussion thread
// @author       You
// @match        http://forums.xkcd.com/viewforum.php?f=7
// @grant        none
// @require      http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js
// ==/UserScript==
/* jshint -W097 */
'use strict';
$('a[href="./viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043"]').parent().parent().parent().hide();
Last edited by Eternal Density on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I was a little sad to see such hostility from a former OTTer. It didn't even sound like Pfhorrest. I guess it was brought up by a lot of frustration.

i am losing my mind due to real world stresses and lashing out at every minor annoyance online and off with the most vitriol i have the surviving energy to summon

you guys are all cool but the persistence of this thread does annoy me

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:05 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I was a little sad to see such hostility from a former OTTer. It didn't even sound like Pfhorrest. I guess it was brought up by a lot of frustration.

i am losing my mind due to real world stresses and lashing out at every minor annoyance online and off with the most vitriol i have the surviving energy to summon

I don't get this, sorry. (Maybe that's because I'm not a native speaker of English.) But I hope that you are fine.

Pfhorrest wrote:you guys are all cool but the persistence of this thread does annoy me

Be welcome to use Eternal Density's userscript to make this thread invisible for you. :)

@ED: Thank you for writing it. Effectively you enable users to kill this thread for them, which paradoxically can make it more sustainable in the big picture. Awesomeful.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:10 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

I don't get this, sorry. (Maybe that's because I'm not a native speaker of English.) But I hope that you are fine.

I totally get being stressed and having that cause one to lash out at things. I don't understand why this thread still being active would annoy someone who used to be a part of it, but thanks to ED for the Maximum Heresy script to avoid frustration for others (not OTTers).

Are those tiles magnetic? The bots release them, and then they float up and are attracted to the edges of other tiles and connect to them. Any other ideas?

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I don't understand why this thread still being active would annoy someone who used to be a part of it

i was part of this thread as part of following the Time comic and analyzing it and seeing where it was going. When it was over I expected this thread to die out soon, like all other comic threads do. I was never really into the weird insular culture that developed here, just Time itself; and now that Time is over, and this thread exists just for its own sake, and is not of interest to me, seeing it constantly pop up gets kind of annoying.

really I think the most appropriate thing would be for everything since the end of Time to be split off into a new thread somewhere else on the forums, but if that hasn't happened by now it probably isn't going to.

oh and thanks everyone for your well-wishes

(honestly i'm kinda surprised that anyone remembers me here, i feel like of all comic threads i've barely participated in this one at all)

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Well, we always tried to make it welcoming and non-insular, but it definitely was a weird culture that developed here. And I mean that in the best way. To each their own, of course.

But I definitely remember you. You made more of an impression than you realize! Maybe it's the colorful avatar. :)

Move alONG, nothing to see here...
Seriously, since I took too long to post it and newpixbot beat me to it. :)
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:33 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0699

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 am UTC

ALLONGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQQMAQkUAhIdAxklAgwkAxc7CiQqEissAAE9AABAER5IGDEuBBpAEi4xEiFNFiZYGyxkHjFsIzd4KD2GM02kLkaWN1OvP17EBCYzDjZCHkJEDTI7K1ZUH01SH0A-I05RGz5BGTc3JEI9JklGLmFiK15hNFxUMmxwIT46DiFMLFJMOWRaPXFrLmBfMlZMOGljPHVyRnxyTIJ1RnVnQW5hQmtcME9EUH1pWJOCU4JuU4d2R3BfWpF+YZV8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:43 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Why rhe fuck is this thread not dead yt /is there any goddamn way to block or ignore this so it stops coming up under new posts jesus fuck just die already

Yes.

Unlike Belial, I'm at least going to warn you of the monkey's paw that you're playing with here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np930

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:00 am UTC

SWAGGERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE DUNEISHEST PART OF MEMEIFYING IS ZOMBIE OTTER EYEBALLS IN YOUR REDUNDABIKE

-- posted by randompixbot

mrob27

**D LIKE A SHENANOBOT, UNBASEMENT LIKE A BAOBABBY

Postby mrob27 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:05 am UTC

I love the ENHANCEment, @mscha! To me it looks like we can see, near the end in the upper-right part of the frame, the top edge of a wall that runs perpendicularly to the main wall.

I'm glad to see them using the pointy thwapsticks, in however many dimensions it might be. The sooner they throw all that junk into the maelstrom, the better will be their chances of slowing the leak.

Pforrest wrote:Why rhe ch*rp is this thread not dead yt /is there any Randamn way to block or ignore this so it stops coming up under new posts Rosetta ch*rp just e** already

HES wrote:Actually, I've been having similar grievances with Forum Games. Computer people, is there (/can there be) a script or somesuch that automatically marks certain threads/forums as read?

karhell wrote:[…] As for a userscript… […] such a script would need to load the last post of every topic you blacklist every time you call a page […] which would quickly get unwieldy […]

everyone wrote:Don't Worry. Feed Molpies.

A user script (Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, Violentmonkey, etc.) could certainly do it. The proper approach is to ignore what the server is trying to do, and simply hide the unwanted content. This is essentially @ED's suggestion, except without assuming that your browser is somehow magically running jQuery all the time.
  In the Individual Threads page, for example, a script can step through all <li> elements, and look inside each element for a <dl> containing a <dt> containing an <a> with class "topictitle" that links to the thread (an HREF to something like "./viewtopic.php?f=7&t=113435", where the number "113435" uniquely identifies the thread, any other fields like "f" can be ignored. Once an unwanted <li> element is found, use the Javascript "theElement.style.display="none";" to make it invisible.
  I wrote a script like that for Facebug which hides the "chat sidebar", and it still works (I just checked). The source is on github. Several other scripts in the same repository show hos to look through elements and check sub-elements; for example check the bananascanner function in We Love BANA-na-Yada.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:36 am UTC

I think I forgot to say thanks for the gamma'd animation, mscha. It's really helpful. I think I see what you mean, mrob, but it's hard to see on my MTA. I'll have to check it out on my full-size TA when I have the chance.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Re: **D LIKE A SHENANOBOT, UNBASEMENT LIKE A MONKEYPAW

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:06 am UTC

mrob27 wrote: This is essentially @ED's suggestion, except without assuming that your browser is somehow magically running jQuery all the time.
Actually, Chrome's console also does $ but in a slightly different way to what jQuery does, so that was a weird hybrid approach which definitely doesn't work in TamperMonkey. But the new version I've edited into my post does work, by requiring jQuery :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 am UTC

Yey!! lmjb1964!!

What a nice poster.
This little poster took me by the hand and led me to a new photo.

Yey! lmjb1964!
Three Cheers!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0700

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:30 am UTC

SONGULARIZED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQQMAQkUAhEdAgwlAhklDSAfBBc6EB1HAAE9AAFAEistBRpBCyQqGixlESFOJz2FFSZZHTFtLEWVPl3DOVe4Ijd6NVGtMkykQ2TTDCJLMEmfHzNzKUGOBSYzHkJFHkpQDjZBDTI7HkA+Ei0yGTc4Gj1BKlZVJE5RLF5hM1xUJUlGLmJkGDEvDzEuOG9wID9COWNaPHVzIT46OGljI0I9LFJMRnVoPXFrME9EMlZMR3xyQW5hTIJ1UoJuVIh2QmtcV5KCR3BfUX5rVYd0AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:54 am UTC

TIiiimmmmberrrrrr!

addams wrote:Yey!! lmjb1964!!

What a nice poster.

Yey! lmjb1964!
Three Cheers!

Awww, glad I could help. Every now and then I can help with <computery stuff>. The new avatar looks good on you.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:35 am UTC

New OtherComic, title RELATED.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0701

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 am UTC

RONGELAND...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AhEdAQkUAAQMAhklAQwlCyQqAxc7AAE9AAJAEistGDEvBBlAEi4yBSYzDDVBGj5BDTE5BC5AKlZVHUNFI05RGTc4HktSJUlGLmJkK15hNW9yM1xUHkA-OGlkLFJMI0I+PnJrL2BfIT46RnxyOWNaRnVoMlZMTIJ1QmtcQW5iUH5sToBvWZOCUoFuVIh1RXBfXJJ9AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

karhell

Re: 1190: "No Time"

Postby karhell » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Warning: MAXIMUM HERESY!!!
Spoiler:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Thread hider
// @namespace    http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version      0.1
// @description  hide specific discussion thread
// @author       You
// @match        http://forums.xkcd.com/viewforum.php?f=7
// @grant        none
// @require      http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js
// ==/UserScript==
/* jshint -W097 */
'use strict';
$('a[href="./viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043"]').parent().parent().parent().hide();

Hiding the offending elements... Such a simple solution. Now I feel silly for not thinking of it >.<

addams wrote:Yey!! lmjb1964!!

What a nice poster.

Yey! lmjb1964!
Three Cheers!

Addams ! Good to see you !

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:44 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Don't worry about loosing your mind. On this side of that threshold we have unicorns, flying cars and a functioning government!

quote="lmjb1964"]Are those tiles magnetic? The bots release them, and then they float up and are attracted to the edges of other tiles and connect to them. Any other ideas?[/quote]
Nanobots? Magic? Pixies?

Hey addams! Cool new profile picturer!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:00 am UTC

glad you like my avatar lmjb, i made it myself out of my initials

nice to see addams is still kicking around here too

also ED's userscript solution turned out not so well for me because it still leaves the thread marked as unread, so when I look at IXCT it looks like there are things to be read in there. if anyone can think of a bit of javascript to, say, open a link to the newest page of this thread in a popunder and then immediately close it, I could use that plus ED's code to solve the problem.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am UTC

Welcome back, addams!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0702

Postby mscha » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

JAWDROPPONGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AhEdAAQMAQkUAQskAhklCyQrAxc6AAE9AANAEistGDEvBBlAEi4yBiYzDTE6HUNGDjZCHkpRI05RGDc4Gj1BKlZVH1BZK11hHkA-LmJkL2BfJUlGNW5wO3RzOGlkI0I+IT46M1tULFJMRnxyPXFrOWRaXpWARXVoMlZNQW5iS4J2QWtdRnBfUH5rVIl3T4BuXJN-UYFuAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

Link

Postby Link » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:00 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Sciscitor wrote:[snip]... and a lot more of this.

Thank you, OTTers.

This. Totally this.

I love the whole thread!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:56 pm UTC

Thank you for the Welcome Back.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:02 pm UTC

New, RELATED What-If wrote:“down a rabbit hole”
“But wait”
Also, it's RELATED to theodolites.

ETA: The structure below the falling tree doesn't look like normal soil. What is it? (It looked epsilonish from the first moment.)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”