1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

HES

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

Posting Poping to remind myself to reply to Sustainabilizer when I get home later. Short answer yes, long answer
Spoiler:

Accidental decree: Assist Sustainabilizer if relevant. And, do that thing you keep forgetting to do. I also didn't notice my forty first penis.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Is everyone busy travelling home from OTTerCon last yip? Cos its seaishly quiet in here, which isn't molpish!

I think that people were recovering from valentines day.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

HES wrote:[s]I also didn't notice my forty first penis.

Wow, that's a bit of hamply biology I was not aware of. :)

Sorry, Outside was very Outsidey this wipend. I witnessed a lot of gang fighting, between this Puerto Rican gang and a white gang. People died. It was sad, but the music was good.

Also, my BF's brother was in town from New Zealand, a relative of mine was in from Ohio, and then of course it was Valentine's Dip, so it was busy busy busy. But I saw lots of molpishness on the previous page, and will do some ketchup in a bit. And write a ticket for MistyCat for OUI (Otting under the Influence :twisted: )

ETA And hi, The Moomin!

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:22 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HES wrote:[s]I also didn't notice my forty first penis.

Wow, that's a bit of hamply biology I was not aware of. :)

Neither was he, apparently.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

4 toasters

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

AluisioASG,
what do you mean by "Outside manips"?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 4 toasters

Postby SBN » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:02 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:AluisioASG,
what do you mean by "Outside manips"?

tattoos?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Outatime"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

HES wrote:Accidental decree: Assist Sustainabilizer if relevant. And, do that thing you keep forgetting to do.

Yeah I had really better do that thing.

karhell wrote:So, yeah, permission officially granted for name disclosure and transcript transcription
Same from me, Sustainabilizer.
I don't know if/when I'll have time do to a proper write-up. I have a lot of balls in my pants the air right now.
lmjb1964 wrote:People died. It was sad, but the music was good.
Whaaaaaa?
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Is everyone busy travelling home from OTTerCon last yip? Cos its seaishly quiet in here, which isn't molpish!

What is there to recover from?
Well I guess if it was anything like last yip's, the drinking :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 pm UTC

Yes, you have permission from me to release whatever incoherent ramblings I made on the IRC channel during the proceedings. And if you find anything from me that's not an incoherent rambling, you may release that too.

For SCIENCE!

Thanks for the chocolate Cathedral Zooman! It's a good thing it's here though, and not at the Sacred Grounds of the Order of the Holy Contradiction; I have a suspicion that it wouldn't last very long there, what will all the sacraments. :)

And thanks all for your comments on AotC. It's gives molpish feelings to know there are still OTTers devoted to the Holy Texts. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:48 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Outatime"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Whaaaaaa?
I dare to guess June Bug watched West Side Story, but not having seen that I am Sales certain, not Engineering certain.
Eternal Density wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

What is there to recover from?
Well I guess if it was anything like last yip's, the drinking :P
Same here, but I know a newly formed couple that didn't show any signs of life until Tuesday...
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sustainabilizer

Re: Let's Write a Book!

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Conference Proceedings

Image Here is the current version. Image

Updated.

Sustainabilizer wrote:The next one will be taixzo's speech.

It's in there now.

I'd also like to include the discussion about taixzo's speech, but for this I need permission from everyOTTer involved. I'll PM you about that.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Redundant:
building-site-3.png
building-site-3.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 12402 times
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

I have never seen WSS19. but I too figured that's what you were referring to. I may be5 wrong, of course, but irregardlessly10, the fact that you're posting it here, instead of (or even in addition to) dialing 9119, makes it pretty likely that you're referring to some type of artificial reality media. (Like the report circulating social media about the local police being sent to a house because of reports of hearing screaming and violence through the windows, when it turns out the occupants were just watching The Walking Dead a bit too loudly)

Anyway, I've been lurking in the basement/shed a lot lately, and finally popped back out for a bit. Normally once I come back out of the basement I immediately get sucked back in42, but hopefully things will be different this time.44 I would say more, but I've rambled on enough in the footnotes (I always get lost there, sorry), and I really do have other (less fun) things to do. Sorry.

p.p.s. I finally9 watched Firefly - I've wanted to since day one, but was on travel when it first aired, then it *ND*DFUCK YOU so quickly, but I've finally gotten around to watching it. I've heard so much praise for it, and have to say that I disagree. No amount of praise is sufficient, it is quite simply the best show I've ever seen - I've always agreed that it was probably killed before it's time, but now that I've seen it, I can say with 100% surety that it's premature ending can only be called a crime.2 Even going in knowing it was only a single season, it was still quite traumatic getting to the end and realizing that there was nothing more. Very voldeframish.

61Google ftw10
10100Yeah, I'm a nerd10^100
big numbersI digress more than is probably healthyso anyway
where was I?So apparently it's based on the old Shakespeare play, don't get me started on how messed up that story is...15
97 I said don't - if you thought I rambled before...
0.99Thank you netflix99
9.totally worth it, now i just need to figure out how to implement 3721 hour days
I WIN!Completely arbitrary, and probably still not enough for me
2Too much anger to do an interesting footnote
or 4 if you're using a zero-based month numbering schemeAm often
TWOin base-2quit
ramblingGreat, now I can't remember what the footnote was supposed to bethanks
BienvenidoDoes that work in different languages6.0E6
Don't add 600KSome idioms translate better than others10
ONE-ZEROOh yeah, I remember now. Stop following the footnotes and go back to the text. Ignore the grammar issues, I put them in there on porpoise. Except for the ones that snuck in accidentally, but we can still pretend that those are supposed to be there. Arguing them would be a mute point anyway - if you want to be pedantic, you'll find something wrong with what I write (probably alotrecursion), and I'll never find all the sneaky typos anyway, so why bother wasting so much time when their probably still twitching over "irregardlesslyness" #
POUNDWFT - why are you still here? Get back to the body.13
69Is that really what she said?
11Or 912, or 999, or 112, or 115, or 1155, or 119, or 000
good 19But not in a good way. (Unintentionaly ironicrain)
not ironicIt doesn't matter, you [should] know what I mean
other 19(That's a little too obscure maybe, but you'll probably get here through the process of elimination404 anyway.) Define insanity
404running out of time - I have more thoughts to transcribe, but not enough time1190STOPITISAIDIWASOUTOFTIME(1190)

FYI - More stable (which is good), less happy (also good - happiness is too dangerous, just makes the lows worse), I think I'm going to start writing again soon, maybe this time I'll try to publish something (yay internet)
p.s. I love you
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:53 pm UTC

New What-If featuring:
  • what can happen at the beach
  • nuclear accidents
  • a space trebuchet elevator
(Back to more complicated things, such as figuring out Febrion's footnote labyrinth …)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:54 pm UTC

It's been a long time since I LLOL'd ("literally LOL'd") on the 'net - thank you Febrion! Now I just have to go find all the pieces of my brain and put them back together. :)

And welcome back! (Yes, I know you've been here while I've been committing heresy, but still, it's nice to see you!)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:I need a drink.

Are you sure about that? :wink:

balthasar_s wrote: Standing? I remember running.

You may have been running before that, but when I saw you, you were definitely not running.

balthasar_s wrote:In Germany I had to find my way FOUR times:
Spoiler:
  1. I arrived at the train station. I had to go to my hotel. I had a piece of map printed. I missed the place where I was supposed to turn right. I asked someone and managed to find the hotel.
  2. Some otters had a meeting that evening. I wanted to join them I thought I remembered the way there. But I didn't. I got completely lost and had no idea where I was. Even the printed pieces of map didn't help. Somehow I noticed a familiar place and managed to go back to the hotel.
  3. When going to the conference I only cheched how to get to the university but not which building.
  4. Later, on tuesday I was going to Heiligenhaus to meet Sustainabilizer. I wrote down the way. But what I wrote down was not useful. I wrote the town names and road numbers. Where I live that would be enough. But not there. In Poland most of the direction signs have also the road numbers. In Germany they didn't have. Additionally, the road signs were useless to me because they were leading to highways. There are much more highways there. By asking people I managed to get out of Bochum and to Velbert. In Velbert there was a map on the bus stop. On my way to Heiligenhaus I had a puncture in the rear wheel. Twice. And it was raining.

Hopefully for OTTerCon 2 you'll know the way. I have a terrible sense of direction, so I would have spent lots of time wandering around Bochum if Neil hadn't come by our inn in the morning to walk with addams and me to the conference. Eventually I learned my way, but it was nice to have someone to lead the one, especially one so easy to spot in a crowd (because tall, and big hat).

Valentine's Dip brought back another memory, using the pipe cleaners that addams brought us to make OTTish things. I tried to make a survey tower, which kept falling over till HES used his engineering skizills on it. It still didn't really look like a survey tower, but at least it stood up.

Speaking of HES, yes, the RELATED 11,90 meal was at the restaurant with the seaish m*stard and ketchup, making it an even more RELATED meal. I'm sure people at other tables where wondering why the ch*rp our table was taking pictures of condiment bottles. :)

I see that Lu did some treeish <computery stuff>. And awesomeful OTTies, Sustainabilizer, and I loved the redundakitty. :D

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And other awesomeful stuff.I'm ready for OTTerCon 2.

OTTerCon 2: Eclectic Bagaloo.

:D

There's a little more ketchup to come. I see some Febrion footnotes--I want to make sure I have time to thoroughly appreciate those. :)

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:21 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Valentine's Dip brought back another memory, using the pipe cleaners that addams brought us to make OTTish things. I tried to make a survey tower, which kept falling over till HES used his engineering skills on it. It still didn't really look like a survey tower, but at least it stood up.

You can see the survey tower in the corner of this pic, next to the hamster wheel.
The item in the foreground is Timeframe 1513 (as viewed from the other side (text not included (but there are some lines of mustard))))
^^Click for super-seaish version^^

I still have the riverish sandcastle, But I'm not sure what happened to the rest. Do you remember who they *nded up with?
The black-pixel colored object (except it is actually brown) above the hamster wheel is all that was left of the cupcakes :(

Non-redundant spoiler for mustard:
Spoiler:

For redundancy:
Spoiler:
Latest iteration of my new avatar
Round and round and round...
AvatarSpin.gif (44.56 KiB) Viewed 12200 times
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order, Protector of Othamburg
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:31 pm UTC

I have a few. I'll have to take a picture later.
Spoiler:
The tower in particular has not fared well. :(

Yes, we have a serious gang problem here. You can watch a documentary about these gangs here. Warning: includes intense gang-related activity.

Spoiler:
No, actually, I was in the orchestra for a local production of WSS. Love the music, but why does Tony always go to the rumble? It's such a bad idea.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Whaaaaaa?
I dare to guess June Bug watched West Side Story, but not having seen that I am Sales certain, not Engineering certain.

:azule:
Spoiler:
Where is azule? azule, have you been hanging around? If so, wave.

OMR, Febrion, those footnotes were awesomefully hilarious.

We lost the ONGs again. The Mystery Author is determined to hone our skills at Waiting.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

CEILING SHENANOBOTS ARE WATCHING YOU FIND BLITZGIRL

Postby mrob27 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:06 am UTC

Oh dear, I seem to have done it again. It was gravitational waves this time. :D

balthasar_s wrote:I went to the sustainable university without knowing which building I'm supposed to go to. [much incredibleness]

I'm quite impressed. I once made my own way from the U.S. to a friend's village in Belgium, but I had done lots of research and planned on not being able to get help from signs.

Sustainabilizer wrote: […] It's Time to write a book about it, the so-called Conference Proceedings. / Here is the current version. / […]

Thanks for keeping this in mind and working on it.

I have updated my paper a bit, to clarify a few things like the post-OTTercon discussion that highlighted the moderators' role in allowing our community to form and continue. I also took out several \usepackage directives that are not needed. As always, all formats are here: mrob.com/time/sustain

AluisioASG wrote:(Subject: Ri: 11119900: "dondakitis")

That looks great! It seems you have a significantly more recent version of phpBB running there.
Turns out everything to the right of "Font colour" is custom to this forum.

:lol:

Eternal Density wrote:The latest thing I've found is Grid LSTM. […] However this one's built on Karpathy's code. The main problem I'm having with Karpathy's code is something to do with my Torch install, I think. […]

Okay, then I should continue with my plans to make my Python/numpy version more functional.

Neil_Boekend wrote:Ah yes. The magical mustard museum! We were at the closed chocolate museum and we were all like "CHIRPING MUSTARD" and we turned around and found a mustard museum. I think we summoned it.

StormAngel wrote:A Kölner Senfmuseum Appears! / It's Supper Effective!

I was in Köln the previous summer and the Senfmuseum was there. Perhaps it's like the Leaky Cauldron, only visible to visiting OTTers.

The Moomin wrote: I hope all the science articles follow the format: / Title / Apparatus / Diagram / Method / Results / Conclusion

That brings back memories. For me it was "Introduction / Procedure / Observations / Analysis / Discussion / Conclusion". It occurs to me they should have taught us to include references, even if our textbook was the only one.

lmjb1964 wrote:Wow, that's a bit of hamply biology I was not aware of.:)

After the first dozen or so, they all sort of blur together.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:14 am UTC

Captain's log, Unix date 14558'75063:
Angelastic's haiku mega-post broke poor³ phpBB's full-text indexing on SQLite. Fortunately we have a mammoth~ip:47DB lying around from another project, so we decided to move to that. (It does make progress snapshotting harder, though.) Unfortunately that broke both data importers: one double-quoted strings and the other brought the max function over from C.

Does anyone know a (standard, iff possible) way to do max(column, literal) in SQL?

balthasar_s wrote:AluisioASG, what do you mean by "Outside manips"?
Spoiler:

mrob27 wrote:That looks great! It seems you have a significantly more recent version of phpBB running there.
Just the latest one, from the 3.1 branch (this forum runs on 3.0).

Thanks for the new AotC, ucim!

lmjb1964: Lu, you have kind of a dark view of the world, don't you?

We're undergoing budget cuts. Please follow the light's direction towards the nearest nextPost.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:

You may have been running before that, but when I saw you, you were definitely not running.

Accidental remake of this?
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:07 pm UTC

ColorONG the last randONG...

List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Eternal Density

Funny Subject Here

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

Cold drinks for my OTTer friends, and 'otter drinks for my cool friends.
(Who are the same people.)

Had a dream last night. I was on a train. A seaish, cute, fuzzy, grey otter climbed onto the back of the train. I was trying to take pictures of the otter for the OTTers but it wouldn't let me :(
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964

Re: Funny Subject Here

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Accidental remake of this?

:D But without the jumping.

mscha wrote:ColorONG the last randONG...

Lovely ColorONG. But why is is the last randONG? :(

Eternal Density wrote:Cold drinks for my OTTer friends, and 'otter drinks for my cool friends.

Scrumptious donuts for my punny friends, and...punny donuts for my scrumptious friends? hm, well, here are the donuts, anyway:

MFFS is currently heavily full of m*stard. In serious need of the wiped. And a drink.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
King-Cake-Donuts-Blue-Dot-Donuts-New-Orleans-LA-via-Facebook-630x472.jpg
King-Cake-Donuts-Blue-Dot-Donuts-New-Orleans-LA-via-Facebook-630x472.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 11524 times

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Time Randomly Revisited - np623

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 am UTC

INFRONGIBLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN YOUR MIND, REPLACE TIME WITH REDUNDAKITTY.

-- posted by randompixbot

StormAngel

Re: I19O: "Redundakitty"

Postby StormAngel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:35 am UTC

I started playing Q04B running a binary tile-combination simulation for the first time a few dips ago, and this wowterful occurrence happened: 8-)
Spoiler:
Import game state:

Code: Select all

2:194426:D:194426:0:6DCBA56789432103210.210..10........:62:62:0.1,1.754,2.12,3.8,4.27,5.8

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

mscha

Re: Funny Subject Here

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:02 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
mscha wrote:ColorONG the last randONG...

Lovely ColorONG. But why is is the last randONG? :(

"last" as in "most recent" (at the time). :)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:36 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Cold drinks for my OTTer friends, and 'otter drinks for my cool friends.

Scrumptious donuts for my punny friends, and...punny donuts for my scrumptious friends? hm, well, here are the donuts, anyway:
Spoiler:

Let me add the RELATED link to the newest OtherComic. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Spoiler:

Let me add the RELATED link to the newest OtherComic. :)

Thanks, and let me add an OTTification:
1645 - Yeah Toast.png
I'd like to thank all my Beanish friends...
1645 - Yeah Toast.png (18.62 KiB) Viewed 11311 times

Created entirely by cutting & pasting from the original
Edit: except for the Beanish, which I copied from Deciphering Beanish by tresoldi.

Jose is in 2945 posts
Last edited by StormAngel on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:39 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:45 pm UTC

More blitzing. A bit slower, work has been busy, but I have now made it to 45% (NP 1098/2440)

After the night Cuegan heads on up the mountain. And after scrambling over some suspiciously molpy-shaped rocks they make it to something that at first glance looks like an oil-derrick or something. Actually it's a surveying tower. And further on it looks like there are people! Onwards they go with a brief interlude where they wonder what has become of their poor sandcastle on the beach. A quick scene change reveals that the sea has risen and covered everything!. All that's left is a floating bucket.
Finally they meet the new people. A race that seems to wear beanies, hence they are the beanie people. And they speak a weird new language. Cue much feverish activity on the OTT trying to decipher this strange new next. It's not a simple substitution cypher of English, but it DOES seem to have logical structure. Looks like some effort was put into this language!.
The beanies do have something to help with Megans leg though, Some sort of paste. It obviously works well enough for Megan to do a pirouette on the damaged leg after its put on.
Further on, and another surveying tower. This one with a theodolite still attached. Seems like the Beanies are doing some sort of grand survey. And apparently they have a very hairy leader somewhere further on who can talk Cuegan's language. We're off to see the wizard!. And just now we made it to the Beanie City. With children furiously frolicking holding molpies and people sitting on steps. What wonders will we now see.

And in the OTT the millenial celebration came and went with a wonderful image by Blitzgirl to commemorate it. There was much cake and later on a serious onslaught of bears. Along with the usual redundakittles lurking in spoilers. But beanish was and still is the main topic of conversation.

Onwards we go. Next target 50%. Halfway through the OTT...

--Rakhal

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:36 pm UTC

Ok, so I solved the problem with a CASE expression. PostgreSQL has a GREATEST function, but it's non-standard. (Also, it never crossed my head searching for that.)

Some stats:
  • chirpy contains some 783k line breaks, 136k quotes, 35k spoilers, 106k images (46k corresponding to 34 smileys), and 58k links. 9860 posts are known to have been edited. Popular text styles include italics, size, bold (>30k), colors (24k), and superscripts (17k). Less popular are alignment boxes and strikes (~5k). Subscripts have been used only 829 times.
  • :) is the most used smile (16k), followed by :D (7k). I find this speaks a lot about us.
  • BlitzGirl the most frequent poster or quoted, followed by mscha, HES, Eternal Density, yappobiscuits, me and lmjb1964.
  • blue is the most used color (4k).
  • Most used phrases are “Re: 1190: "Time"”, “ONG”, “Wait for it.”, “Boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada, boom de yada…” (note to self: '…'.encode('cp1252').decode('utf8').encode('cp1252').decode('utf-8')), and “Jose”.

I'm not sure it's okay to release access to such a data mine. Sure, the indexes are not user-specific, but it would make targeting a single poster easier.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote: Most used phrases are [...], and “Jose”.

"Jose"? Really?

Sure, there's one at the bottom of each of my posts (of which there are almost 2k on the OTT), but... there are a lot of other (otter?) words in a post.

Hmmmm.

Jose

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:28 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Conference Proceedings

Updated.
  • added karhell's speech
  • updated mrob27's paper
  • wrote a first version of the Editor's Introduction
  • mustardly deleted the source code for karhell's speech
  • reconstructed the source code for karhell's speech from the PDF file
  • added karhell's speech (redundancy is molpish)
What do you think of my Editor's Introduction?
Is it “serious” enough?
@native speakers: Is my English okay?

karhell wrote:As for the scientific article, well... I have no idea how to science properly. With a couple of pointers (of the non-hexadecimal kind), I could probably manage something resembling an article, but I suspect it would be rather sub-par (my speech wasn't that good to start with).

My suggestion: 1. manage something resembling an article, 2. speak about it and improve it together, either publicly in the OTT, or in private via PM or email. (And IMHO your speech is steakish to start with. It already has a good structure for an article: introduction, 3 case studies, additional remarks, conclusion. Molpish.)

The Moomin wrote:I hope all the science articles follow the format:
Title
Apparatus
Diagram
Method
Results
Conclusion

What apparatus? A Time Accessor?
I'm not allowed to show more than just 1 diagram? :shock:

The Moomin wrote:Although looking at that list now, I can't help but feel there should be some sort of explanation for why we were doing whatever it was we were doing beyond the teacher told us to do this.

It's entirely possible I don't science well.

Well, if you carefully choose what kind of SCIENCE you want to do, your scheme might fit very well. ;)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
  • I told U added karhell's speech.
  • Y U no believe me?
building-site-4.png
building-site-4.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 11113 times

ETA: @Jose: Congratulations! :)

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:45 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:PostgreSQL has a GREATEST function, but it's non-standard.

Ni ni ni ni ... Very suitable then! :)
Very interesting stats! Thanks!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0710

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:30 am UTC

ONGLAND...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AAMMAQgVAhEeAgwlAhgmAhszChtGAAVBAAI9DyBNDiBRCyQrEiNXECJPCSgzEistHTN5MlK4L06xLEmnJ0KZGi9wFytoIjqIO2HXOFrKFjAvDjE6DjVCHkpSHUNHGDxCFzY5H1BaEi4zKVxiIk1SLWJmKVVWH0A-KmZwJEhHK1JNM21xN2hkIUE+N2NcMlxWO3VzID48RntyMFZOPXFsQ3VqQG5jTIR4Uol6V5B-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:05 am UTC

newpixbot wrote:ONGLAND...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.

Newpixbot is right, we're back in ONG-land! Yay!
Also, does that mean the British held on to Gibraltar until whichever Time it is the ONGoing story is set in?
Wait on.

Spoiler:

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0711

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

STRONGENESSES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQgVAAMMAhEeAhgmAg0kAxszChpFAAI8Dh9RESNZDyBSIz6SLU61KEahGzJ5CyQrITuMHjeEFitpGS9xESstAABAHDeRFzAvEi4zCSgzDTRCDjE7HUNHH1FbCy9BHUpSGDxCFzY5Ik1SKVVWLWJlKVxiH0A-LWp0JEhHMlxWPHVzMmxxID88K1JNIUE+NmNcOGlkTIN3PXJsRXtyMFZOT4+GQ3RqQG5jUox9Vo+AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Time After Time: t-1_0712

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:30 pm UTC

GONGLAND...
Spoiler:
Wait for it again.
Spoiler:
Original filename:

AQgVAAMMAhgmAhEeAg0jCyQrAABAAAE+ESstFzAvBRlBAh0yCSgzEi4zESRYDjE6GDxCH1FbHUpSKVxiDDNBHENHFzY5H0A-LWJmIk1SKVVWLWpyJEhHM21xL2BfO3V1N2hkK1JNIUE+MlxWPXFrNmNcMVZOID48QYGBRnxzTIN3Q3VqQG5jUYp8WpiJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.png
ENHANCE!
-- posted by newpixbot

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

Yay ONGs! :D

To celebrate, here's an animation of the chopping and dismantling of the tree⁴, so far.
Spoiler:
Looks like they're moving the branches to the downstream side; that's not going to work. (Although ShortBean did walk off to the left with one small branch.)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
Conference Proceedings

I have not said so yet, but you may of course use my Constellations of Time (all done with Open Source Software of course), if they are of any help at all for showing the evolution of interaction between various OTTers over [Tt]ime (this applies to any of my other diagrams you may find under resources as well). After all you need some diagrams for a scientific paper. :-)
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:39 pm UTC

The ONGs are back! Yaay!
(What the ch*rp are they constructing from the tree?)

Sciscitor wrote:I have not said so yet, but you may of course use my Constellations of Time

Thanks¹. They are awesomeful SCIENCE!

Sciscitor wrote:(all done with Open Source Software of course),

Treeish! :)

Sciscitor wrote:if they are of any help at all for showing the evolution of interaction between various OTTers over [Tt]ime (this applies to any of my other diagrams you may find under resources as well). After all you need some diagrams for a scientific paper. :-)

They don't fit well in my paper (Wait for it.), but maybe someone (you?) would like to write a paper about them? ;)

A molpish Time for my OTTer friends,
Timely OTTers for my molpy friends,
and ottermolpies for my Time friends!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”