1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np443

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

BUCKLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

Yay, Popebot! Bow for your robot overlord! Image Decree: ensure that every oldpix is UNGed, with optional OTTification or colorization.

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SCRUMPTIOUS DONUTS DON'T GROW ON FOOTNOTES.

-- posted by oldpixbot

MistyCat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby MistyCat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
MistyCat wrote:I imagine that the future-Y'all will be making some replies in the your-now which I won't see in the my-now until I reach the new-now of your past-then, so when I reach the this-then and reply from the will-be-this-then to your newer-now I can say a future-now thanks to your newer-new-now.

Actually I'm the future-future-me to then-me where you sent your blitzpost from your-then to what was then the future but is now the old-then. Past-me-then was still future-me to then-you but at this point then-you is past-past-you to me posting into the now-past where my past-me posted. So my reply from future-future-now to past-past-you based on a then-now message you sent to the future is quite past at this point!

Spoiler:
Hi.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 pm UTC

MistyCat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
MistyCat wrote:I imagine that the future-Y'all will be making some replies in the your-now which I won't see in the my-now until I reach the new-now of your past-then, so when I reach the this-then and reply from the will-be-this-then to your newer-now I can say a future-now thanks to your newer-new-now.

Actually I'm the future-future-me to then-me where you sent your blitzpost from your-then to what was then the future but is now the old-then. Past-me-then was still future-me to then-you but at this point then-you is past-past-you to me posting into the now-past where my past-me posted. So my reply from future-future-now to past-past-you based on a then-now message you sent to the future is quite past at this point!

Spoiler:
Hi.

Spoiler:
Hi! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, ketchup like that is not "stale". What you've said tastes as sweet and rich as a 23-year-old Brora. Perhaps, as with my lovely dram, the term is "aged."

*Googles "Brora Scotch"*
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You, my dear, have expensive taste.
I have excellent taste. :P
*wonders what you saw*
*googles Brora Scotch*
:shock: :shock: :shock:
My God. No, I did not pay that much for them.
brora.jpg

Here you go Popebot:
444 - UNGvisible
And, must molpy down. I let that 3am thing happen again. Oops.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Я

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:53 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:About the redundant redundant test screen in WHYDTMT: Somewhere ago I posted a link: 1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/a/whathaveyou.zip. There are all pictures and recordins used to make WHYDTMT. The very last frame is also there: redundant2.bmp. Most of the recordings are a little longer than what later became the actual film. For example, in kompx.avi you will notice that I was not alone when recording it. There is also something similar for "Blitzposting".
Ooh - does this mean a chance to see KXA? I downloaded this, and clicked on it repeatedly. When I click on a whathaveyou.zip I get a whathaveyou.zip.cpgz and when I click on a whathaveyou.zip.cpgz, I get a whathaveyou.zip. I kept clicking, waiting for something to open, and realized I had four of each. Hmmm. I'll try to work that out at some point. How soon may depend on how keen you think I should be to check this stuff out....

I never heard of cpgz. Google says it may mean the file was not completely downloaded. (The file size is 129046392 and last time it took me 23 minutes to download it.) Or that the unzipping software has problems with this version of zip. I can upload it in a different format. Any preferences?
ETA: on my computer xarchiver also had problem with this. I re-created and re-uploaded whathaveyou.zip and blitzposting.zip

ggh wrote:BTW, who can tell me how to write letters backwards like the way you cool kids write the Mirror and such?

In the word "MIRROR" only "R" has to be reversed. Luckily, there is a "Я" in some alphabets.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Pay no attention to what's happening on the ground

Postby AluisioASG » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

Previously, on Heroes Beanies:

Spoiler:
screenshot-taixzo.com 2016-04-07 13-38-20.png
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:24 pm UTC

Baobabs!
Spoiler:
sandgarden.png

My xkcd garden is not nearly as verdant.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:24 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:<snip>
Febrion wrote:Well, everything AT and BT is heretical, so we can just throw those out, and have year 0 forever. (3Though isn't "year" itself heretical? The OTC e**ed before we could argue over a proper term (1'yip'?)2

1Closed by 2
2Closes 1
3This will remain open until the return of the Lightning Lass4
4And probably longer, as I'm sure I'll forget to go back and fix it
5This superscript intentionally not used

AAAA! FIX IT! FIX IT! Image HOLY CH*RP I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PAREN'S BEEN LEFT WIDE OPEN FOR TWO AND A HALF YIPS!
<snip>

Fixed() it (sorta - you'll need really good eyes (or a magnify button, or just look at the tags or something)

looks like 0Of course it's also possible that there was another) unmatched close paren somewhere else that this was balancing, so maybe this is making things worse.
(And if there's not, what's to stop one from editing old posts and sprinkling in a few here and there?"
not a really small 11Not that I'd ever intentionally leave an unmatched "(" somewhere<
>Unless it's funny:-D
0:-)I live by toon logic

Oh buckets. *tries to scramble through the footnotes* I think that's an improvement? Image Thanks!

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl, ketchup like that is not "stale". What you've said tastes as sweet and rich as a 23-year-old Brora. Perhaps, as with my lovely dram, the term is "aged."

That sounds lovely, but I still don't know about consuming ketchup that's two and a half yips past its expiration date... Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:08 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:AAAA! FIX IT! FIX IT! Image HOLY CH*RP I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PAREN'S BEEN LEFT WIDE OPEN FOR TWO AND A HALF YIPS!

Just for you, and anyone else who gets twitchy about such things, I present a little piece of doggerel I wrote around the time of Time the original time (and, in fact, it may have been inspired by some discussion about the matter in the OTC, and so it is relevant (but we already know everything is related anyway, so it doesn't matter that I'm going to post it))

I’m sure most people have some friends
Exhibiting obsessive trends;
Pedantic on apostrophes,
And know the Latin names for trees,
Who, irksomely, are often right,
And in the trivial take delight.

If you would like to make them tense—
To hold them in enthralled suspense—
The tactic ev’rybody knows:
Just let them read some text that shows
A lone unmatched parenthesis
(Exemplified right here, like this

:twisted:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:51 pm UTC

)
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mrob27

1190: Time: DID ANYBODY SEARCH FOR THE MISSING JAVASCRIPT?

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 am UTC

I have a lot of Image to do, and stories about the maths conference. I am happy to report that J.H. Conway no longer hates life (which I cryptically call "CGoL"), though I still avoid mentioning it since there are so many other wonderful things he likes to talk about.

balthasar_s wrote:Also, could you send me your copy of np1?

Huh, I thought I did this before, but can't find it. No bother.
For future reference, here are three; my live replay viewer uses the first of these.

Code: Select all

fora.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=35929
  mrob.com/time/replay/frame0001.png
  xkcd.mscha.org/time/xkcd_time_20130325_0400.png

ggh wrote:Today my camera developed a short in it somewhere and has stopped taking pictures. / The last pic I successfully took was of a car parked two down from my own.[image] / Molpy down!

mscha wrote:Your camera probably unbasemented when you took that picture; it's an OTTera now, and can't take Outside pictures anymore.

:lol: is that like what happens if my camera is damaged by a (Zanclean) flood, or by sand, or dropped during a raptorcat attack?

DrSamCarter wrote:It is good to know that the key-mapping on my leopard coincides with balthasar_s's. But, how can you tell what is the linguistic flavour of a geometric representation of a regular quadrilateral?

One word: nyctography. Lewis Carroll developed this writing system for writing in the dark. One uses a template with square or rectangular holes to constrain the movement of the pen and essentially draw the entire letter around one or more edges/corners of said quadrilateral.
Lewis Carroll's nyctographic (night writing) alphabet

BlitzGirl wrote:Aw, that's treeish. I hope they were able to see all of Time, even if their signatures are stuck in the Past. (Without the ability to search users' posts I'm not sure if they appeared later in the OTT somewhen.) And baobabs, 223 newpages is only about 9% of the current OTT!

@KuwabatakeSanjuro last posted at OTT:314:19 (newpix 575) and @Jonas79 last posted at OTT:829:15 (newpix 2025).

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
Lewis Carroll nictographic (night-writing) script.jpg
Nyctographic alphabet
Lewis Carroll nictographic (night-writing) script.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 8995 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:08 am UTC

Apparently Megan and Cue approve of my Sand Garden:
Spoiler:

In this one, I was wondering what the little round things were in the treecastle. Then I realized they were heads. I guess maybe that's their clubhouse up in the tree.
Spoiler:

Interestingly, the cabins on the ground sway back and forth, but the one in the tree doesn't. Not sure how that works. :? Frankly, I get a little seasick staring at the Sand Gardens for too long. I start feeling like I'm on a boat. :)

I had an interview for a new MFFS today. Wish me luck!

Truly redundant:
Spoiler:
garden7.jpg

garden8.jpg

ETA: Huh, General Error seems to be messing with my posts. :evil:
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:21 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:03 am UTC

Something seems to be wrUNG with frames 454 and 455... identical, but with different hashes:

It was noted briefly in OTT Time Travel (Newpage 265).

mrob27 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Aw, that's treeish. I hope they were able to see all of Time, even if their signatures are stuck in the Past. (Without the ability to search users' posts I'm not sure if they appeared later in the OTT somewhen.) And baobabs, 223 newpages is only about 9% of the current OTT!

@KuwabatakeSanjuro last posted at OTT:314:19 (newpix 575) and @Jonas79 last posted at OTT:829:15 (newpix 2025).

Bummer. I guess I'll never know for sure unless they turn up again some Time.

DrSamCarter wrote:I’m sure most people have some friends
Pedantic on apostrophes,

*cringes* That is indeed impressive!)

lmjb1964 wrote:I had an interview for a new MFFS today. Wish me luck!

Good luck! May your interviewer be baobabbed!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:19 am UTC

DrSamCarter!
That is delightful!

That is a World Class punchline in English.

Yes, lmjb1964;
May you show and they see, only the very best in you.
Good-Luck!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:13 am UTC

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:29 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I had an interview for a new MFFS today. Wish me luck!

Good luck! May your interviewer be baobabbed!

Seconded, although maybe not literally ;Þ

WishUNG June bug luck

OTT Time Travel : Four posts later
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:44 am UTC

DrSamCarter wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:AAAA! FIX IT! FIX IT! Image HOLY CH*RP I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT PAREN'S BEEN LEFT WIDE OPEN FOR TWO AND A HALF YIPS!

Just for you, and anyone else who gets twitchy about such things, I present a little piece of doggerel I wrote around the time of Time the original time (and, in fact, it may have been inspired by some discussion about the matter in the OTC, and so it is relevant (but we already know everything is related anyway, so it doesn't matter that I'm going to post it))

I’m sure most people have some friends
Pedantic on apostrophes,

) I became a bit obsessed by unmatched parentheses during programming. One of the things you need to keep track of is the structure of the program, what is included in what if-then-else. Keeping a parentheses balance in your head is important for this.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:43 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:I became a bit obsessed by unmatched parentheses during programming. One of the things you need to keep track of is the structure of the program, what is included in what if-then-else. Keeping a parentheses balance in your head is important for this.

WELL SPOKUNG
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
Thanks, y'all, for taking care of the parentheses.
Reading the OTT feels so much better like this!
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

mscha

Re: 1190: Time: DID ANYBODY SEARCH FOR THE MISSING JAVASCRIPT?

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:43 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Also, could you send me your copy of np1?

Huh, I thought I did this before, but can't find it. No bother.
For future reference, here are three; my live replay viewer uses the first of these.

Code: Select all

fora.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=35929
  mrob.com/time/replay/frame0001.png
  xkcd.mscha.org/time/xkcd_time_20130325_0400.png

I guess these are all basically the same. I know my copy is from someone in the forum who had a local copy...
I wish we knew the official URL of the first frame, though. Perhaps we should ask davean if he knows? (He does most of the server stuff for the OTA, after all.)

ETUNG:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mrob27

1190: Time: DID ANYBODY MISS THE SEARCH FOR JAVASCRIPT?

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:54 am UTC

Image Image

balthasar_s wrote: To do this I'd have to go back in time and record myself making the film.
But I uploaded all the clips and images and things the film is made of:
1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/a/blitzposting.zip
And the same for the first film:
1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/a/whathaveyou.zip
Nothing special there.

If you want to film yourself in the past making a film of yourself in the future, then take a look at this film, and compare to the raw footage. Both of these are 360-degree panoramic, use the little arrow thingy in the upper-left of the frame, or just click and drag, to look around the room while the film is running.
  Just one of the mind-bending things shown at G4G12 last wip.
About the redundant redundant test screen in WHYDTMT: Somewhere ago I posted a link: […]

Thank you for reminding us; I had forgotten about those and had not bothered to download them. It's great to see I'm not the only one who laughed at the end of KOMPX.AVI :)

Concatulations Gingergrads! :D

Gingercat wrote:Would one of our Resident Statisticians Extraordinaire please enlighten me as to roughly how many words that actually is?

BG already linked to my OTT stats, but you might also want to compare to the word counts of other long texts (like the complete Shakespeare) that I listed near the end of my post at OTT:2419:25. For example, that 10.2 million figure is comparable to reading the entire Harry Potter series 9 times.

mscha wrote:What makes me happy is that we get to [wait for it] again. xkcd.com/1663
Not sure what's going on yet, but for now I'll [relax]

Am I the only one who thought it looks like a "Lunar Lander" game? The light looks like a rocket and there's that flat area in the lower-left which would be the landing area.

BlitzGirl wrote:(In the 1663 othercomic thread, this post)
kenmelken wrote: This whole thing reminds me of the early discussions on the Time comic during the sandcastle building period, before the story and mechanism of creation more well-established, when lots of people were postulating that perhaps it was all being built created by some sort of algorithm that randomly was generating the sandcastle a little at a time. Someone even pulled off a proof of concept if I remember correctly, that showed it could be done.

Oh yeah, I remember that. A sandcastle-generator. (If we had a forum search I would try and find it in the OTT.)

It was @Kieryn, OTT:48:11, though the actual implementation was by "Mr Snidesmin". It looked like this:

The webpage was here but like all of @Kieryn's stuff, no longer works. However, you can see part of it on Wayback machine and the source code is still here.
  In case you're interested, I didn't use search either. I looked in my detailed travelogue (blitz) notes because I knew I had probably made a note of it. My note says "Demo of automatically-generated frames of a stick-figure building a sandcastle, at kieryn.com/xkcd-time/" It was my first mention of @Kieryn.

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
NP0048 Kieryn autogenerate demo.png
The autogenerated Time castle demo from NP48 (Kieryn)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np465

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 pm UTC

UNGICOS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I HAVEN'T GOT ANYTHING AGAINST THE SPURLERS! CONSIDER THE MIPS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:31 pm UTC

Check out the multi-hatted girl from one of my gardens! She has an entourage of Cues with birds on their heads. I strongly suspect they're OTTers...

Redundant:
Spoiler:

GardenHats.png
GardenHats.png (13.19 KiB) Viewed 8636 times

Keywords: BGUM garden stilt stilts girl hats multihatted multi hatted bird head cues
redundant283.png
redundant283.png (167.44 KiB) Viewed 8636 times

mrob27 wrote:  In case you're interested, I didn't use search either. I looked in my detailed travelogue (blitz) notes because I knew I had probably made a note of it. My note says "Demo of automatically-generated frames of a stick-figure building a sandcastle, at kieryn.com/xkcd-time/" It was my first mention of @Kieryn.

Molpish thing you kept good notes! Thanks for finding it. Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

balthasar_s

( :

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:48 pm UTC

addams wrote:A lone unmatched parenthesis

BlitzGirl wrote:)UNG:
you should have said:
) UNG:

:)
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Febrion

Re: 1190: (Time

Postby Febrion » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:02 pm UTC

It seems like every time there's an unmatched paren( it gets closed more than once, so the problem isn't really solved, just transformed into a different type{. And I think it's funny that no one's noticed the extra unmatched "(" on my post about fixing a previous unmatched "("

)Kinda makes me wonder how many lonely punctuation marks are floating around the OTT
}See: Law of Conservation of Unmatched Punctuation Marks
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

Don't say that! The idea of lost unmatched parens out there might bug BlitzGirl so much that she'll decide to go searching in the past to find and correct them. We want her in the present. Here, have a bunch of closed parens to get everyone's mind off of it:
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

It's oddly relaxing doing that.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:25 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:It seems like every time there's an unmatched paren( it gets closed more than once, so the problem isn't really solved, just transformed into a different type{. And I think it's funny that no one's noticed the extra unmatched "(" on my post about fixing a previous unmatched "("

)Kinda makes me wonder how many lonely punctuation marks are floating around the OTT
}See: Law of Conservation of Unmatched Punctuation Marks

It's like entropy.
The total number of unmatched parens does not decrease globally.
BSTA

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

I distinctly remember an OTTer at some point counting up the total number of parentheses on the OTT and coming to a conclusion as to whether we needed more open or closed... but I don't remember the conclusion, or the OTTer!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I distinctly remember an OTTer at some point counting up the total number of parentheses on the OTT and coming to a conclusion as to whether we needed more open or closed... but I don't remember the conclusion, or the OTTer!

I think it was mrob27.
Edit: Or ergman.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

kenmelken

Re: 1190: Time: DID ANYBODY MISS THE SEARCH FOR JAVASCRIPT?

Postby kenmelken » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:(In the 1663 othercomic thread, this post)
kenmelken wrote: This whole thing reminds me of the early discussions on the Time comic during the sandcastle building period, before the story and mechanism of creation more well-established, when lots of people were postulating that perhaps it was all being built created by some sort of algorithm that randomly was generating the sandcastle a little at a time. Someone even pulled off a proof of concept if I remember correctly, that showed it could be done.

Oh yeah, I remember that. A sandcastle-generator. (If we had a forum search I would try and find it in the OTT.)

It was @Kieryn, OTT:48:11, though the actual implementation was by "Mr Snidesmin". It looked like this:
(Snipped out image in quote to save space)
The webpage was here but like all of @Kieryn's stuff, no longer works. However, you can see part of it on Wayback machine and the source code is still here.
  In case you're interested, I didn't use search either. I looked in my detailed travelogue (blitz) notes because I knew I had probably made a note of it. My note says "Demo of automatically-generated frames of a stick-figure building a sandcastle, at kieryn.com/xkcd-time/" It was my first mention of @Kieryn.

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
NP0048 Kieryn autogenerate demo.png

Awesome! Glad you are such a detailed note-taker. I certainly didn't have time to keep digging to find it. I had thought it was keiryn, but couldn't quite remember.
In Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is 100 miles high and 100 miles wide. Once every 1000 years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak. One time, I changed just the last sentence of this signature, and lots of you noticed. Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 pm UTC

Welcome forward, kenmelken!
Welcome to the OTT, Alexander the Ordinary, Revealer the Recent!

UNGMATCHED PARENTHESES …
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Febrion wrote:It seems like every time there's an unmatched paren( it gets closed more than once, so the problem isn't really solved, just transformed into a different type{. And I think it's funny that no one's noticed the extra unmatched "(" on my post about fixing a previous unmatched "("

")" ")"Before we can solve this problem we must agree on a standardni how to deal with unmatched }parentheses in quoted text. IMHO they must be closed whenever they are quoted, but I'm unsure whether the closing )parenthesis must be in a “quote” section of its own. And what about parentheses in “strings”?

emiT) :0911 :eR

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

And what if you have a bold ( that is closed by an italic )?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time")

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:34 pm UTC

And what if you have an unmatched parenthesis in your location?, and signature, and avatar...
Last edited by balthasar_s on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: (Time)

Postby Sustainabilizer » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

New OtherComic

Spoiler:
This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy. Reason: The new name has been adopted. The article about the city's old name is obsolete.

Redundant:
city_talk_pages_better_name.png

ETA:
mscha wrote:And what if you have a bold ( that is closed by an italic )?
Uaaah! :shock:
balthasar_s wrote:And what if you have an unmatched parenthesis in your location?
UAAAAAAAAAAAH! Image

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: (Time)

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:49 pm UTC

Subtle, Sustainabilizer! Image

Sustainabilizer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:And what if you have an unmatched parenthesis in your location?

UAAAAAAAAAAAH! Image

UAAAAAAAAAAAH!)))))))))))))))) Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:47 pm UTC

I really really want to do an ottification of the new OtherComic, but I don't have Time. :( If I was better at that sort of thing, maybe.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ergman

Postby ergman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:01 pm UTC

Sciscitor wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I distinctly remember an OTTer at some point counting up the total number of parentheses on the OTT and coming to a conclusion as to whether we needed more open or closed... but I don't remember the conclusion, or the OTTer!

I think it was mrob27.
Edit: Or ergman.

I did no such thing!
...or did I? I don't really remember, and because I can't search I can't find out.

A revealer the recent! Garden is cool! Time Garden is Neat! An awesomeful poem!

I wonder how many of my posts consist of very brief acknowledgements ending in exclamation marks. I can't find out, because I can't search.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: Time: DID ANYBODY MISS THE SEARCH FOR JAVASCRIPT?

Postby SBN » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Am I the only one who thought it looks like a "Lunar Lander" game? The light looks like a rocket and there's that flat area in the lower-left which would be the landing area.

I tried to land the lamp, but it didn't cooperate.

And, I'm officially house-less! (Yes, that's good news.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mrob27

1190: Time: DOES ANYBODY MISS THE JAVASCRIPT FOR SEARCHING?

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I distinctly remember an OTTer at some point counting up the total number of parentheses on the OTT and coming to a conclusion as to whether we needed more open or closed… but I don't remember the conclusion, or the OTTer!

Sciscitor wrote:I think it was mrob27. / Edit: Or ergman.

By a freak coincidence, that's also in my travelogue notes :D Search for "parenth". Answer: @Pikrass, OTT:975:33, who made this diagram:
Each 4x4 square represent 4 messages, starting from the top left corner.
The darker the red is, the more enclosed are the messages.

Read xes post for full details. Summary: It's complicated.

taixzo

Re: 1190: Time: DOES ANYBODY MISS THE JAVASCRIPT FOR SEARCHING?

Postby taixzo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I distinctly remember an OTTer at some point counting up the total number of parentheses on the OTT and coming to a conclusion as to whether we needed more open or closed… but I don't remember the conclusion, or the OTTer!

Sciscitor wrote:I think it was mrob27. / Edit: Or ergman.

By a freak coincidence, that's also in my travelogue notes :D Search for "parenth". Answer: @Pikrass, OTT:975:33, who made this diagram:
Each 4x4 square represent 4 messages, starting from the top left corner.
The darker the red is, the more enclosed are the messages.

Read xes post for full details. Summary: It's complicated.

Of course, Time has passed since that post, so who knows what the current parenthesis nesting level is now.

...I just realized the phrase "Time has passed" has become a lot less molpish after t** e**.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

SilentTimer

TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-0864

Postby SilentTimer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:00 am UTC

KEYBOARD CORINNUNG THE OTT ... DOT CHIRPING MUSTARD DOT COM. -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Did you notice …
… how Ms. Frizzle is drawing? And why?
Spoiler:
She wants to note for herself how this specific raptor looks like. Realistically, her drawing will be more schematic. However, the considerations about Ms. Frizzle's drawings still apply.
-- posted by SilentBot Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”