1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

1190: Time: Proto-beanish again

Postby ggh » Tue May 03, 2016 5:38 am UTC

Here again, is the proto-Beanish. Depending on your browser and settings and stuff, you may be able to see it larger in the redundant attachment.

And here's what I think it says. It's probably got some mistakes, but I think most of it is pretty good.
I'm going to put it behind a spoiler in case anyone wants to play with figuring it out themselves, but then I'm going to decree that we discuss the contents, so it's kinda an empty gesture.
Spoiler:
The tanker: bio lum

The stop sign: stop

The sign on the fence:
notice

Gibraltar dam construction site. No trespassing permitted.
Construction to begin on 10/27/2983. Bridge to bay closed
for duration of construction. Santoya Group is liable for any
events which may take place on site.

All workers require Level 2 clearance to enter site. Please visit
main gate on Av Andalucia to process paperwork.

signed
Shaun Santoya
Chief Commissioner, Mediterranean Power

The sign on the road:
Gibraltar Bridge closed
use Ceuta Tunnel

The recycling bin: recycling

The ink cartridge truck: Cat

The cement mixers: United Cement

The barge: carga

The graffiti: chirp and mustard

The tinted words I'm a bit unsure of. United Cement makes sense, but when I try to pronounce what's there, I get more of a una-itade cemaint. Carga is apparently Spanish for cargo.

Oh, and Image is taixzo.

(I'll post the individual letters too, after I figure out what to feed the Little Wonder for dinner. Also ketchup and stuff.)

So that's got some juicy chunks in it. Mysteries solved? New mysteries?
Decree: ponder t-1

redundant:
Spoiler:
protoBeanishBigger.png
Last edited by ggh on Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to stop the quotechain"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 03, 2016 6:11 am UTC

Neat! But how did Jose know you knew?

I'm home from day 2, still molpish.
Having steambottles poured into me beats being bluenhanced.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Tue May 03, 2016 7:56 am UTC

Jose just knows stuff. You should know that.

Still, it was quite a leap of faith for him to write me into Chapter 50 before I said anything to him, but then, who takes leaps with more faith?

Oh, addams, sorry about that weird writing. It might get worse before it gets better.
Also, confession: I'm generally the one hoping that the other person doesn't say, "Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Sustainabilizer, loved your OTTercomic!
Sorry my explanation wasn't very explainy. By linking to the double dactyl I had posted in proto-beanish, I was trying to say in a sneaky way that I knew that it was taixzo because I could read (and sorta badly write) proto-beanish.

I had a little fun, once I could read it. I corrected Jose's guess about the radioactive stuff, told taixzo I knew, posted a double dactyl and finally asked taixzo (in the spoiler) if it was okay to announce it. But then, I was in trouble, because, how the ch*rp was I going to do that?

Edit: fixed link - thanks, Sustainabilizer!
Last edited by ggh on Tue May 03, 2016 9:41 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1190: "Time to stop the quotechain"

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Neat! But how did Jose know you knew?

I'm sending you molpish thoughts to counteract the unmolpishness of getting bluenhanced!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue May 03, 2016 8:43 am UTC

ggh wrote:By linking to the double dactyl I had posted in proto-beanish, …
*facepalm*
ggh wrote:… I was trying to say in a sneaky way that I knew that it was taixzo because I could read (and sorta badly write) proto-beanish.

I took the double dactyl for an ordered collection of proto-Beanish characters, displaying their accented variants. But now it's clear as Image

ggh wrote:I had a little fun, once I could read it. I corrected Jose's guess about the radioactive stuff, told taixzo I knew, posted a double dactyl and finally asked taixzo (in the spoiler) if it was okay to announce it. But then, I was in trouble, because, how the ch*rp was I going to do that?

FTlast linkFY.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time" And now, characters

Postby ggh » Tue May 03, 2016 10:28 am UTC

Okay, so this is far from perfect, but this is how I've been interpreting proto-Beanish characters, again spoilered for spoilers if you want to roll your own:
Spoiler:

So ED, do the steroids have any upsides, besides anti-steambottle-itude? Do you play baseball?
It's good to see your smile. :)

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:There was something about the camera motion of that one that made me worry that at any moment you might charge at a stork and rip its heart out with your teeth. I'm glad you didn't. They looked like really cool birds.
??:??:??
Yes, they are really cool. Also if I did something to them people would not forgive me.
Sorry. I was teasing. The extreme handheld look just reminded me of this genre. Really, it was an unfair comment, since, what, were you supposed to be laying a dolly track to the storks?

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Has there been any attempt to monetize you? Should there be?
What do you mean by it?
You make cool stuff. You're funny. I'm just wondering if those talents ought to be buying you fun new toys. Unfortunately, I can't actually help with this. I am not savvy. But maybe it's something the internet would have some ideas about.

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:But, so, the dancing? How did that go?
Good, I'm actually learning something.
A Google search for dancing classes in your city returns about 20 listings. A few of them are pole dancing schools. Wouldn't they all be Pole dancing schools?

doubly redundant:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 9.26.37 PM.png

sounds like sh
ᴜ̄ sounds like j
ɾ sounds like r
l sounds like l
v sounds like f
sounds like v
sounds like w
sounds like p
ᴐ̇ sounds like b
ᴐ̄ sounds like m
sounds like n
c sounds like t
ċ sounds like d
x sounds like k
sounds like g
sounds like ng
sounds like s

I can't really do vowels. I have no ear for them.
occurs in tresspassing, begin, , bridge, events, require - stuff like that
˗ occurs in Gibraltar dam and tunnel
ˀ occurs in stop, on and process
ˊ occurs in duration, may, take (fairly straightforward), but then also United Cement if I'm reading that right.
occurs in site, require, and bio-lum, but I wonder if this is just a combination of the first two in dipthong-land

(the w) is a big deal with vowels: ˀ produces no and closed, makes use, and just yields group and to

Unimportant vowels are left out - words like workers have none - does that make this an abugida?
Edit: improved clarity
Last edited by ggh on Wed May 04, 2016 3:34 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 am UTC

Cue is dusting off his hands after having buried...somethUNG:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 513
Top contenders are human waste and camping waste. I think later in the OTT remains of a fire are suggested as well.

Imagefrom the wipend:

Treeish computery bits, balthacircuit_s!
I like the ottified song, ED - molpish considering its title.
I don't know if I've said this about that OTColored by ChronosDragon before but it's awesomeful.
Perfect OTTercomicking, Sustainabilizer. The Othercomic itself is greatly perplexing. Why is the sand white? And the sea? And the dunes? Epsilon!

The meteorology stuff was very interesting, thunk. From this I deduce (and by "deduce" I mean "guess wildly and ridiculously") that Cuegan are very likely naked all the Time because lethal heat temperatures. All the thunkish SCIENCE words are fun, too. Troposphere. Dry-bulb temperature. Foehn wind. Moist adiabat.

addams wrote:
Spoiler:
Tiger Balm.

Ha, you're definitely not an outsider when you make OTTish references like this, addams. :D

ZoomanSP wrote:
ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
ZoomanSP wrote:
karhell wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ucim wrote:
addams wrote:oh, Thunk!
....you have scary air.
"Scary Air" is the title of VHS's first movie soundtrack album.

Unfortunately, the movie's title was heretical (The Air is Big) and it flopped.
Not VHF?

They changed for their first video clip ?

I think it was a rights issue between the film studio and the record label, and the alternative "TBFKAVHF"Image was unpronounceable. Hence VHS, or Video Hotdog System.

Image: The band formerly known as Vital Hotdog Function

No. The reel issue was that Virtual Horseradish Spread was the first incarnation of the band. VHS was in Beta, so everything unwound even though the producers tried to tape it all together. The veneer wore thin, but since the band members had the right kind of magnetism, they tried time shifting by waiting for it. This erased any remaining mustard, and they could function again. When they realized how important this was to the success of the band, the new (and present) name became obvious.

The flip side of VHS's ill-fated soundtrack album led off with Helical scan - a rarely played song about tornadoes.

Thanks for the clarification. I must have had information from the alternative timeline that diverged in 2000.
Also,
Spoiler:

Punsawyery via VHS. Well done, ZoomanSP! Image

ggh wrote:Sorry my explanation wasn't very explainy. By linking to the double dactyl I had posted in proto-beanish, I was trying to say in a sneaky way that I knew that it was taixzo because I could read (and sorta badly write) proto-beanish.

I had a little fun, once I could read it. I corrected Jose's guess about the radioactive stuff, told taixzo I knew, posted a double dactyl and finally asked taixzo (in the spoiler) if it was okay to announce it. But then, I was in trouble, because, how the ch*rp was I going to do that?

That whole sequence of posts is so futurish! A whole conversation done in plain sight on the OTT and most of us missed it! Steakish.
Thanks for the character "translation" for proto-Beanish.

Rakhal wrote:There have also been brainslugs. A very worrying event. Are the people in the future really people, or do I head through time to emerge in a future ruled by brainslugs. I can only cross my fingers.

Image ...HAHAHA fingers what PRIMITIVE appendages... Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Ti-hic!-me"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 03, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Neat! But how did Jose know you knew?

I'm sending you molpish thoughts to counteract the unmolpishness of getting bluenhanced!

Don't worry, when I wrote 'getting bluenhanced' I was thinking of 'radiation therapy', which isn't happening to me.
ggh wrote:So ED, do the steroids have any upsides, besides anti-steambottle-itude? Do you play baseball?
It's good to see your smile.
Don't think so. Probably not that sort of steroid. Who knows? I don't play sport. I did play some baseball when I was... I don't remember how young. Less then ten.

I have hiccups right now. That's the second time todip. I haven't had hiccups like this in a very long time. It's very funny. I made some videos earlier. I'll put them online later. I hope they're amusing.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Tue May 03, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

The OTT never ceases to amaze me. Even after all this time, after T** **d of the original Time, people are still taking time to create marvellous things and unravel mysteries. I dips me lid to you all. The unmolpish Outside gives me just enough time to follow, but without registering all the nuances, and so sometimes I miss all the awesomeful details. However, there have now been enough hints for me to figure out what it is that some people have figured out, and I finally translated the following from ggh's use of Taixo's proto-Beanish ... only to realise that ggh had already supplied the definitive translation (xe should know). As my minor observation, I think ggh may have c-bar'ed when xe meant to backwards c-bar in the original text. I had difficulty with iw.

Treeishly seaishly
Taixo magnificent
Gardens/goodness(?) he(?) grow bring our(?)
Gleeful respect

Multidimentional
Tip of an iceberg tine(?)
Stunned he can do it all,
I genuflect!

I just love the baobabishness of the reveal. And I love before-and-after Time and its clever structure (thanks Taixo), and then the fact that people could figure it out (the two layers, and then the proto-Beanish). And of course, there are all the other contributions and interpretations that OTTers have so generously and creatively shared with us -- the sequels and prequels, and related stories, and poems, and artwork.

The OTT is just a wowterfullish and wingish place to be.

mscha

Re: 1190: Time: Proto-beanish again

Postby mscha » Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

OMR, ggh, you're amazing! Now please solve our remaining mysteries, will you? ;-) (Beanish, epilogue sequence, first frame ‘hash’, anything else?)

ggh wrote:The graffiti: chirp and mustard

For some reason, this made me laugh harder than I've laughed in years! Good thing there was nobody around; I have no idea how I would explain that.

Proper ketchup later. Maybe...

PS: about the climate, I'm pretty sure this was already covered. Didn't “we” (don't remember who) conclude that humanity evolved into stick figures in order to survive the inhumane heat in the dried-up Mediterranean basin?
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 03, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:If there's something amiss36 here, it's gone over my head0.
ggh is proposing that, by writing her into AotC as a seer, it caused her to know proto-beanish, rather than the other way around. Well, I'm not saying anything. :)

Febrion wrote:1190You're supposed to be wating for it.
wat?

ZoomanSP wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I must have had information from the alternative timeline that diverged in 2000.
Yeah, you probably confused it with the fan/tribute group: Devilish Vital Dijon. It went round and round in those days, but they were pretty one-sided.

Love the thunk digests!

taixzo wrote:*looks suspiciously for hidden puzzles in ucim's post*
I would never do that! Check how I read puzzles. (Media users should try a round donut.)

ergman wrote: I'm going to need a TS;CCЭ
Simple: taixzo put it out, ggh figured it out, Jose figured that ggh figured it out, ggh was going to out taixzo but Waited For It. Jose put the outing out there. Once it was out, there it was (but it was out there all the Time).

Good to see you DrSamCarter! Yes, it's a molpish place to be... drop in more often. It'll do you (and us) smopu good!

Rakhal wrote:Are the people in the future really people, or do I head through time to emerge in a future ruled by brainslugs. I can only cross my fingers.
You must have faith - it will see you through your quest, into your Glorious Arri\x76\x61\x6c\x20\x69\x6e\x74\x6f\x20\x74\x68\x65\x20\x50\x72\x65\x73\x65\x6e\x74\x21

(Sorry about that, the affected unit has been sent for reprogramming.)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mrob27

1190: Time: I WENT TO A BERM AND A BLINDPOST ALMOST BROKE OUT.

Postby mrob27 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm UTC

Whoa, it's been quite a Time. Perhaps I should tell all y'all what happened :|

Let's see… well, I definitely designed and made some dice. I've been working on dice-related things for a while now. I stumbled on the CATENATIVE DOOMSDAY DICE CASCADER at MS Paint Adventures, and then discovered that after 7 yips, Homestuck actually finished, which is good, because I like to wait until I know that a story will finish before starting it.

Anyway, I also made this page about the dice used in RPGs. I'm glad to learn of the continued popularity of the original D&D style, and particularly efforts like Dungeon Crawl Classics, which attempts to avoid the Monty Haul problem at advanced levels of play.

I wrote:r"If you can imagine it, there is LEGO of it. There are no exceptions."

ggh wrote:So naturally I tried googling "lego of women in shower playing guitar" and was momentarily disappointed

balthasar_s wrote:NWFW
Spoiler:

Thank you OTT. You have exceeded my expectations.

BlitzGirl wrote:
StormAngel wrote: Image

Squee! Image

I, too, am suitably molped. But I would like a full-size Dancing-Badger-style Molp for the repository. I cannot seem to be able to find the GIF that @StormAngel shrunks

ggh wrote:mrob - thank you thank you thank you for not making your Zanclean Flood Generator a VR attraction!

No, that wouldn't be nearly as terrifying. As over-the-top theme park attractions go, oldskool definitely beats VR every time.

There is more mroblian Image in your future, wait for it (and keep on blitzin'…)

mrob27 Image

sIs it possible that "Megan, I Shrunk the Molpy!" has never been an OTThing?

fBut not fully resolved (spoilers here), but close enough.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: Time

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 03, 2016 6:30 pm UTC

Boababies, those are quite the dice, mrob!

mscha wrote:OMR, ggh, you're amazing! Now please solve our remaining mysteries, will you? ;-) (Beanish, epilogue sequence, first frame ‘hash’, anything else?)

Seconded! :) (Speaking of awesomeful things ggh has deduced, a quick request for mscha - if it's not too much trouble, could you color-code the 2016 epilogue sequences on your page? They're colored a beautiful red right now, but of course variOTTy is the spice of life!)

UNGderstanding everything:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 517

NoMouse wrote:If they want to understand everything, then it's going to be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very long comic.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue May 03, 2016 6:34 pm UTC

UNGDERSTANDING … NINJA'D!
Spoiler:

Wait for it.

ucim wrote:You must have faith - it will see you through your quest, into your Glorious Arri\x76\x61\x6c\x20\x69\x6e\x74\x6f\x20\x74\x68\x65\x20\x50\x72\x65\x73\x65\x6e\x74\x21

(Sorry about that, the affected unit has been sent for reprogramming.)

*reprogramming*

Code: Select all

#include <stdio.h>

int main (void)
{
  puts ("\x76\x61\x6c\x20\x69\x6e\x74\x6f\x20\x74\x68\x65\x20\x50\x72\x65\x73\x65\x6e\x74\x21");
  return 0;
}
gives …
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

val into the Present!

ETA: There is an article (in German) about GLR, his Thing Explainer, What If, and some of his other works in one of the most wildly read German mainstream online magazines. I found just one – very subtle – reference to Time:
Spiegel Online wrote:„Munroe geht Dingen auf den Grund, er will verstehen.“
“GLR gets to the bottom of things. He wants to understand.”
Image Help addams!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 03, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:ETA: There is an article (in German) about GLR, his Thing Explainer, What If, and some of his other works in one of the most wildly read German mainstream online magazines. I found just one – very subtle – reference to Time:
Spiegel Online wrote:„Munroe geht Dingen auf den Grund, er will verstehen.“
“GLR gets to the bottom of things. He wants to understand.”
Actually, I think here that Time is a reflection of the GLR, rather than GLR reflecting upon Time.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1073

Postby mscha » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 pm UTC

DISUNGAGEDNESS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SOMETIMES YOU PUNSAW THE OTTER, SOMETIMES THE OTTER PUNSAWS YOU

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 pm UTC

Truth, AUTOMOME.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thunk

18: It's hard being an OTTer. It's hard and nobody understands.

Postby thunk » Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

745/2477 clocks destroyed (30.08%)
8.65 dips elapsed.
Spoiler:
So, we come to another wondrous section of the One True Comic. Megan's Quest to get Cueball more berries or something (the squirpys were one of my favourite parts when I first watched the OTC), the vineyard period (vin, vin, cheese, and vin), and then the excursion into the mountains. It's increasingly clear that the world, while inhabited, is strangely empty. While probably explains the Cassinite Heresy and all that--Megball are obviously in the Northern Hemisphere.

Vytron and CasCat arrive in the present. and scene 7 of Jose's acts is the cleverest yet (the commemoration of the format). CasCat did it slightly faster than me (7 dips, as compared to 8.5--it takes time to go to class and write signposts). Taixzo is, at this moment, furiously questing as well.

There's also the orthodox-ization of the frysauce blitz (which I'm doing), so I can breathe more easily at night.

Flado's Bulgarian threw me for a loop at first---I understood it was something about elephants, but Bulgarian is just different enough from Russian that I could almost, but not quite, make out much else.

I agree with many others that math is beautiful in its abstraction. Though I admit I've been slacking recently---I was too busy blitzing to solve the fun, challenging problems presented in class today.

ChronosDragon wrote:Also commemorating a (somewhat) momentous postmark1: A very important number (413) from a certain [heresy]OtherOtherComic[/heresy]. Not sure if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.

mrob27 wrote:and then discovered that after 7 yips, Homestuck actually finished, which is good, because I like to wait until I know that a story will finish before starting it.

Synchronicity? Or weird time shit? Probably the latter.

And ggh in the present: I don't think that ProtoBeanish is an abugida, but rather that rhotacized vowels are just written with an r, and the preceding schwa is omitted. But I haven't had the time to analyze the alphabet fully. At least unlike actual Beanish, it's only a script substitution and not actually a whole new language, which means we can actually figure out what the signs say. (sadly, not enough of a corpus in the OTC :()
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

mscha

Re: 1190: Time

Postby mscha » Tue May 03, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(Speaking of awesomeful things ggh has deduced, a quick request for mscha - if it's not too much trouble, could you color-code the 2016 epilogue sequences on your page? They're colored a beautiful red right now, but of course variOTTy is the spice of life!)

Oops, sorry, done.
It's been a while since I had a look at that page... The explanation needs a lot of updating based on ggh's and especially hujackus' insights.
Even though we can now pretty much predict the epilogue sequence, I don't consider this mystery “solved”. We have no idea why the pattern is the way it is; I won't be happy until we have a (relatively) straightforward algorithm that generates this, and which is believable to have been put in place by the GLR or his minions.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Molpish, thanks mscha! :) And I agree. As Cue would say, "We don't understand everything yet."

TurnUNG:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 523
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1078

Postby mscha » Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 am UTC

PRUNGED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Wnderer.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: CH*RP A SPARROW-RAPTOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Upload Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 04, 2016 1:13 am UTC

I've started video uploads for the past few days.
https://youtu.be/CYAuHjsLglc 'Cancer Simulator 2016'
https://youtu.be/uUyL_woIqjI 'Where it all Happens'
https://youtu.be/9E4LzhNhvw8 'Something Funny'
https://youtu.be/VG-wXFNCkmg 'Bad Contrast'
https://youtu.be/WerRkyrGOew 'Background Noise and Beeping'
More soon.

Sorry I haven't worn the beanie yet.

Botninja'd!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed May 04, 2016 1:30 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I must have had information from the alternative timeline that diverged in 2000.
Yeah, you probably confused it with the fan/tribute group: Devilish Vital Dijon. It went round and round in those days, but they were pretty one-sided.

I heard that later on, they changed their name to Virtual Mustard Distribution in an attempt to appear more complex and deep, but their fans didn't buy it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

StormAngel

Dance Badger, Dance

Postby StormAngel » Wed May 04, 2016 1:43 am UTC

VHS = Virtual Hotdog System. A mostly-forgotten competitor to the NES, the VHS failed primarily due its innovative 12-bit processor, a concept which was sadly before it's Time.
mrob27 wrote:Whoa, it's been quite a Time. Perhaps I should tell all y'all what happened :|

Let's see… well, I definitely designed and made some dice. I've been working on dice-related things for a while now. I stumbled on the CATENATIVE DOOMSDAY DICE CASCADER at MS Paint Adventures, and then discovered that after 7 yips, Homestuck actually finished, which is good, because I like to wait until I know that a story will finish before starting it.

Anyway, I also made this page about the dice used in RPGs. I'm glad to learn of the continued popularity of the original D&D style, and particularly efforts like Dungeon Crawl Classics, which attempts to avoid the Monty Haul problem at advanced levels of play.

BlitzGirl wrote:
StormAngel wrote: Image

Squee! Image

I, too, am suitably molped. But I would like a full-size Dancing-Badger-style Molp for the repository. I cannot seem to be able to find the GIF that @StormAngel shrunks

Steakish dice! (oh dear, now I'm wondering if Bacon Dice is a thing ... sadly no, only diced bacon is)

I found the original badger-molpy files on my compyuter, from 16 ‎May ‎2014. Thanks to thi_s post, I now know I uploaded them to Photobucket (which I hadn't used much before, and haven't since then). the one I minified was actually cropped from my old avatar ("I love to count molpies")
So anyway, here's an updated full-sized molpger with transparency for your archive:
Badger-Molpy.gif
Not a bad molpy, if I do say so myself...
Badger-Molpy.gif (3.5 KiB) Viewed 10576 times

Transparency is tricky when there's no clear outline.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "After it's Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 04, 2016 1:45 am UTC

ggh

Re: 1190: "Tine"

Postby ggh » Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 am UTC

Go Chemo Man! Did you get someone else to do the shaving? Razors and Hiccups seem like a combo best left as a concept album.

mscha wrote:It's been a while since I had a look at that page... The explanation needs a lot of updating based on ggh's and especially hujackus' insights.
Even though we can now pretty much predict the epilogue sequence, I don't consider this mystery “solved”. We have no idea why the pattern is the way it is; I won't be happy until we have a (relatively) straightforward algorithm that generates this, and which is believable to have been put in place by the GLR or his minions.
I agree completely! I would be shocked if hujackus's prediction for 2017 didn't come true. It's such a lovely pattern. But 2018... we're going to get some new information there... maybe that'll lead to the breakthrough. I'm
Spoiler:
waiting for it.
mscha wrote:
ggh wrote:The graffiti: chirp and mustard
For some reason, this made me laugh harder than I've laughed in years! Good thing there was nobody around; I have no idea how I would explain that.
I had a good chuckle too. (Assuming that I'm right, and I might not be) these were the last words I figured out - partially because the pronunciation is hard for me, but mostly because I wasn't sure which characters I was looking at (I usually can't read graffiti in English). Anyways, I was absolutely convinced up to that moment that the graffiti would hold clues to the identity or identities of the mystery author and/or collaborators....

DrSamCarter wrote:I think ggh may have c-bar'ed when xe meant to backwards c-bar in the original text.
<snip>
Tip of an iceberg tine(?)
Oh Randal, it's true: I misspelled Time! :oops: Well that's embarrassing.

mrob, on his dice page, wrote:douse, analogous to "mouse" and "louse", is an alternative singular form of dice, for those of us who are of the "never-say-die" persuasion.
Brilliant!

thunk wrote:And ggh in the present: I don't think that ProtoBeanish is an abugida, but rather that rhotacized vowels are just written with an r, and the preceding schwa is omitted. But I haven't had the time to analyze the alphabet fully. At least unlike actual Beanish, it's only a script substitution and not actually a whole new language, which means we can actually figure out what the signs say. (sadly, not enough of a corpus in the OTC :()
That could be. I don't know anything about abugidas - I just read a wee bit when I was looking at the Beanish discussion. Other vowels are missing too, like in "of" and "is" but like I said, I've got a lousy ear for vowels, so someone else (maybe you?) is going to have to uncover any pattern for when it's appropriate to drop vowels. I dropped too many in the double dactyl. I know this, because taixzo struggled to read a few words of it.

Not only is a good thing for us that this is not a whole new language, but it makes total sense too. It's only 2983, and civilization hasn't crumbled yet, so there wouldn't be the isolated groups yet that might lead to rapidly changing languages. Lots of folks call for phonetic spelling nowadays, so having it come to pass isn't a huge leap.

Writing this way seems quite efficient, and maybe it would even have cognitive advantages, due to the treeish phonetic groupings. Did y'all notice the treeish phonetic groupings?
Last edited by ggh on Wed May 04, 2016 2:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

thunk

Postby thunk » Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 am UTC

ggh wrote:That could be. I don't know anything about abugidas - I just read a wee bit when I was looking at the Beanish discussion. Other vowels are missing too, like in "of" and "is" but like I said, I've got a lousy ear for vowels, so someone else (maybe you?) is going to have to uncover any pattern for when it's appropriate to drop vowels. I dropped too many in the double dactyl. I know this, because taixzo struggled to read a few words of it.

Not only is a good thing for us that this is not a whole new language but it makes total sense. It's only 2983, and civilization hasn't crumbled yet, so there wouldn't be the isolated groups yet that might lead to rapidly changing languages. Lots of folks call for phonetic spelling nowadays, so having it come to pass isn't a huge leap.

Writing this way seems quite efficient, and maybe it would even have cognitive advantages, due to the treeish phonetic groupings. Did y'all notice the treeish phonetic groupings?

Then again, the English language has changed a lot in the last 1000 years, and will probably do so once again in the future. Given you're a Kiwi now, the dialect your neighbours speak probably didn't exist 150 years ago. I think a lot of sound changes--or at least a few--can help make things make more sense. I've only casually looked at it, but the graphemes might indicate that there's been a reduction in the vowel system. A few different phonemes (at least in 21st century Inland North AmEng), get the same grapheme.

For a wild guess at the end-3rd-millennium situation, see here.

Also, "treeish phonetic groupings" reminds me of Hangul a bit.
(I'm not a linguist, but this is fun!)

EDIT: Of course it is an abugida, as vowels are marked, but secondarily on the consonant glyphs. Also note that the base letter shape indicates place of articulation for some symbols, and a dot is placed over to mark voicing. Overline indicates the corresponding nasals to each fricative.

I must get back to blitzing now...
Last edited by thunk on Wed May 04, 2016 2:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Shaving Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 am UTC

The shaving was in the morning (hiccups were evening), and I use electric, not razor blade. So all molpish.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 04, 2016 3:12 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Febrion wrote:If there's something amiss36 here, it's gone over my head0.
ggh is proposing that, by writing her into AotC as a seer, it caused her to know proto-beanish, rather than the other way around. Well, I'm not saying anything. :)
Yes, I knew it!

thunk wrote:Then again, the English language has changed a lot in the last 1000 years, and will probably do so once again in the future. Given you're a Kiwi now, the dialect your neighbours speak probably didn't exist 150 years ago. I think a lot of sound changes--or at least a few--can help make things make more sense. I've only casually looked at it, but the graphemes might indicate that there's been a reduction in the vowel system. A few different phonemes (at least in 21st century Inland North AmEng), get the same grapheme.

For a wild guess at the end-3rd-millennium situation, see here.
Yeah, if taixzo had designed the language to take that much drift into account, Jose would have had to write me a lot smarter.

thunk wrote:Also, "treeish phonetic groupings" reminds me of Hangul a bit.
(I'm not a linguist, but this is fun!)

EDIT: Of course it is an abugida, as vowels are marked, but secondarily on the consonant glyphs. Also note that the base letter shape indicates place of articulation for some symbols, and a dot is placed over to mark voicing. Overline indicates the corresponding nasals to each fricative.
You have definitely noticed the treeish phonetic groupings.
What do you think: is the backwards L vowel really just the horizontal vowel followed by the vertical vowel?
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed May 04, 2016 4:30 am UTC

New Othercomic.

RSIR
Spoiler:
snake.png
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

thunk

19: Huqúqu'lláh (sp?)

Postby thunk » Wed May 04, 2016 4:58 am UTC

Heylo everymolpy, here goes another missive from the Past.

794/2477 NP traversed (32.05%)
8.95 dips (pretty fast already)

Spoiler:
Our plucky adventurous Megball get into a spat with some wildlife as they enter the mountains. First, the arrival of the SNAKE! and Cueball's backwards fall, then more walking and the ch*rp ch*irp period. Birbs are fun, and two birbs loudly ch*rp-ing is even better. Though the "i" hadn't been censored yet. They also get a good view of the sea (even if it's rather hazy), talk about how it's getting cold (they better have brought jackets), note the badly-cut-down tree stumps and come to the tiny river, which is cute. It also seems like the trees are getting bigger and discussion of Madagascar is quieting down.

Come to think of it, a lot has been happening.

The great molpy hunt reaches its culmination, with yappobisquits' Weebls parody molpymolpymolpymolpymolpygrapevinegrapevine. Wow!

The thread makes references to a wide-ranging array of stuff, including Hofstadter books (I tried to read GEB a few times, never got through), the Impossible Quiz (staple of my childhood; couldn't finish, my reflexes are too slow to play vidya games), Doctor Who (watched regularly, a while back), and Le Guin novels (on my Great List of Things to Experience, which is and had always been seaish).

somemolpy wrote:and a plot to destroy the Ukraine using a blood diamond trade to smuggle nuclear weapons disguised as cocaine

Okay then.....

As some of you may have notices, I tend to replace any mentions of "Wisconsin" with "Cheeselen". It's funnier.

I finally get to the first PagePopes who remain un-goated to the present day. Nice feeling finally seeing everything as it should be.

Valarya, thank you for the spiders. I managed to get over my fear of them a while ago; now I think they're adorbs.

Flado wrote:“I think тече probably describes the creek best, don't you agree?”

Yup! Thanks for the Bulgarian.

And everyone is probably going to get up married to everyone else by the time I arrive in the present.

But this could go on forever, so I conclude with an OTTification:
(to the tune of Katyusha by Matvey Blanter.)

Growing tall, the berries and the treefruits
molpies squirming down beneath the grass
Megan left to give a squirrel neat loot
Near the river and its smallish banks.

She walked out and muttered something softly
'bout the raptors flying far apart
'bout the one who travelled with her thoughtf'lly,
'bout the one so Cueless in his heart.

Oh, those words, the words of our young questant
lead so far, cast shadows on the ground.
To that trekker in the hills so distant,
Go say "Hi!", for Megan's not around.

Let him learn, when finally he's awoken,
Let him listen to what she's going to say.
Let him find out why the sea is broken,
And with Megan, go and save the day.

(this was hard! sorry if it doesn't make all that much sense!)

EDIT: FIx title, make lyrics gooder.
troo dat

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 6:14 am UTC

Go ED! The epic chronicles of Hiccup Chemo Man! Image

Nice OTTercomic taixzo! That was my thought on seeing the new Othercomic as well. :D
And thunk seems to have reached mental resonance with GLR, to be passing snaaaake, it's a snaaaake just as a snake appears... Image

Wingish ottification, thunk! I'm not familiar with the original but I like the way you wrote it. Very poetic.

UNGmoeba in the brain:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 527

astrocub wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
astrocub wrote:He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

Yes. He's definitely dead.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

StormAngel

In case of redundancy, try more redundancy

Postby StormAngel » Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 am UTC

I straightened up a few of the t-1 proto-Beanish pics, just to make them clearer, but then forgot to put them in my previous post.
Spoiler:
ACDSee has a neat perspective correction tool
Image Image Image Image

I remembered while I was making this:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage - "Snake!"
Spoiler:
SnakeTail.gif
SnakeTail.gif (254 Bytes) Viewed 10295 times
SnakeBody.gif
SnakeBody.gif (269 Bytes) Viewed 10295 times
SnakeHead.gif
SnakeHead.gif (311 Bytes) Viewed 10295 times
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 am UTC

My first attempt, no judging please :-D
molpy.png
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am UTC

Ha! That's cute, taixzo. :) Now I want to replace every snake with "full-width justification"! Treeish!

Lovely otty, thunk!

Ooh - nice straightenings StormAngel - they didn't get too soft in the process - great!

...And a preview-ninja by Febrion who's losing his OTThercomic virginity to a bunch of molpies. Illegal in many states, but fully molpish here. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed May 04, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Ha! That's cute, taixzo. :) Now I want to replace every snake with "full-width justification"!

Are you sure about that?

Redundant:
Spoiler:

m1739-full-width-justification.png
m1739-full-width-justification.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 10154 times
redundant-remapt-1_0406.png
ETA: Redundant Redundancy
Image Help addams!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 04, 2016 2:48 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Let's see… well, I definitely designed and made some dice.
Baobabs! Those are some awesomeful entropy instigators! For contrast, have you seen the mathematicians dice? Those are also treeish. I did a lot of D&D (probably to my detriment) when I was in college; we went through lots of twenty-sided spheres. What I ended up doing was recomputing the probabilty tables to base six percent, so 2d6 could be rolled for just about everything. Less nerdy, but also less expensive and more portable.

mscha wrote:(Colorization by Hillperson.)(Colorization by Wnderer.)
Alas, the basement is big. Come back, Hillperson! Come back Wnderer! We miss you!

thunk wrote:745/2477 clocks destroyed (30.08%)
I wonder if destroying clocks is heretical in Time. I guess it depends on whether they read out in AM/PM or in ONG.

ED - molpish thoughts on your steambottle infusion. You should try to get them to reprogram the beeping to be an ONG sound. Though, I don't think they'll understand.

StormAngel wrote:VHS = Virtual Hotdog System. A mostly-forgotten competitor to the NES, the VHS failed primarily due its innovative 12-bit processor, a concept which was sadly before it's Time.
Hotdogs are decimal, bread is octal. It's too complex for real mustard, I imagine.

ZoomanSP wrote:I heard that later on, they changed their name to Virtual Mustard Distribution in an attempt to appear more complex and deep, but their fans didn't buy it.
It may have been that they were selling imaginary mustard and calling it virtual. It's all in the marketing.

Perfect OTTercomics taixzo and Febrion~ Love the molpish redundancy. Now we should just separate all paragraphs with grapevines, and we'll be all set.

Jose

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 04, 2016 5:08 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:My first attempt, no judging please :-D
Spoiler:

Awesomeful! Image

Sustainabilizer wrote:
ggh wrote:Ha! That's cute, taixzo. :) Now I want to replace every snake with "full-width justification"!

Are you sure about that?
Spoiler:

Also awesomeful! Image

StormAngel wrote:I remembered while I was making this:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage - "Snake!"

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

ImageImageImageImageImage, it's a ImageImageImageImageImage

Image Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 04, 2016 5:32 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:

Are you sure about that?
Spoiler:

How could I have missed that one! Steakishly awesomeful! Now, given that "justification" comes from the same root as "justice", yielding "judge", couldn't we just replace the Supreme Court (of the US) with nine snakes? It sure would solve a lot of problems!

Jose

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed May 04, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

ucim wrote:And Baltimore - What, besides Waiting For It, does the circuit do?

This is a PCB remake of a device I built before twice. I needed more. Making a PCB of it seemed like a good idea. Also I could practice PCB designing before making a more serious circuit in the future.
You probably know now what it is.

I ordered 3 boards. I got 4.
One will be sent to someone (they don't know it yet). Three others are still waiting for their future.

ggh wrote:You made that!??!! To save me from disappointment? I'm touched. :)

Yes. After seeing your post I immediatly was inspired to do this. But I had to wait for having access to the camera and the LEGO.
Spoiler:

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Cool. Now we only need an "it's a" smiley.

Spoiler:
2016-05-04-184802.jpg
higitr.jpg
2016-05-04-193207.jpg
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”