1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat May 14, 2016 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

yea *inviting* the player to dive right into its own code and make changes for xemself -- something ironically called "Free and Open Source" -- and whilst the King was so indisposed, they, the bOTTifactors, would list their demands, all of which the Grand Commisioner had better meet,

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

mrob27

1190: Time: PUT BOTCASTLE ON MROBDEX

Postby mrob27 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:35 am UTC

I like @svenman's explianation, something got replaced or renamed later. Also I think @SilentTimer was just saying look at this manip by svenman, meaning that @ggh should look in the spoiler of the @SilentTimer post… which @ggh already did, so we're loopists.

Hey, my hidden story is pope! Hi there little mrImagebdexbot! How about a decree?

Hmmm…

Contemplate what we'd do if Randall Munroe came around some
day and said we could get any question about Time answered,
but only one, and no wishing for more wishes. Discuss!

Spoiler:
NP2483-bOTTeriada-mrobdexpopebot.png
bOTTeriada mrobdexpopebot v. bis
NP2483-bOTTeriada-mrobdexpopebot.png (24.87 KiB) Viewed 9731 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Re: 1190: Time

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 14, 2016 5:34 am UTC

MegUNG strips the bush:

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 610

astrocub wrote:
KarMann wrote:Also, it seems it hasn't been noticed that CueGan's passage seems to have had some effect on the tree. I had some confusion trying to follow mscha's style for showing it, but here's the overall effect:
Spoiler:
Not sure if they stripped some leaves from it, or if it's just swaying in their wake. There does seem to be an overall reduction in dark pixels (that would be red).

So upon encountering the only other living thing on their journey so far, Megan mutilates it and stares at its shriveled appendage in her hand. If she continues to say nothing, I can only conclude she is a psychopath.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steakish OTTercomic, svenman! Nice to see you! :) (I particularly like the redundacomic in the spoiler.)
Oooh, thanks for ENHANCEing StormAngel's manip, mrob! Actual spoiler:
Spoiler:
I missed my own hidden Boom De Yada!

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Bonus: I also live near a wild cat zoological park, so it will be easy to take my homemade panther salve for a trial RUN!
:( Oh please oh please don't do that!

Don't worry, the raptorcats are safely secured behind multiple layers of gates and fences. It's a rescue park so the keepers do a good job of keeping distance between skittish seaish meowlpies and silly humans. I couldn't pull a Cuegan even if I tried! Image

ggh wrote:
svenman wrote:So what, exactly, is the difference between #3 and #13?
I've never said a whisky smelled like new-mown hay, but I have enjoyed the scent of alfalfa on a number of occasions, and it's different from the smell of lawn grass. I'm guessing that's what they mean by hay, and maybe it also begins to explain the almost alphabetical order mystery mrob noticed. Perhaps the original intention was to call that scent alfalfa, and someone decided that hay was better after the bottles were filled, but before the boxes were made.

I would suppose the same. Various hays, particularly alfalfa, smell distinctly different from the typical mown lawn grass. Source: my grandfather has a riverish farm and grows hay for his moolpies.

mrob27 wrote:
Contemplate what we'd do if Randall Munroe came around some
day and said we could get any question about Time answered,
but only one, and no wishing for more wishes. Discuss!

Did the pricklymolp make it? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thunk

33.333... The great thirding signpost of yip 3

Postby thunk » Sat May 14, 2016 6:47 am UTC

19.0 dips taken (58.16%)
1444/2483 pages read (woops).

Randammit, I wake up this morning only to find that some RAZOR agents are at my door, and wanted to hold me for questioning. :p

but don't get me started on bathroom bills. Discrimination == steambottle.

EDIT: Proper signpost below.
Spoiler:
So... we have this very silly, but yet somehow coherent fragment of the OTT that I read. Based on my fragmented notes, it went as follows: people began, as with the previous signpost, discussing a number of important issues--things like covering the bottom of the Mediterranean basin with solar panels a hundred layers deep. mrob, who will shortly become very important, also appears somewhere here1, with a longafter-edited message about a Time amusement park (...?)

Disaster strikes on NP 1416. Although the initial berm that contained the addictive c**kies gave way on the 27th of Revelation that year, it was not until the 18th of Deliverance that it reached us OTTers. Even with the delay, it was too late. Many of us were sucked into this trap; I too was defeated briefly at the time, but now avoid it with the benefit of hindsight.

But in the seeds of disaster comes inspiration. So is born the Holy Game Sandcastle Builder, and the initial development of its ideas proceeds apace soon after its disaster. In the three yips since, it seems to have grown a lot--when the boost messages mention transfinite cardinals, you know the amount of castles are likely to be seaish.2

mrob begins his exquisitely detailed blitz here, complete with temporally-accurate OTTifications, which must have taken quite a bit of effort to do. Steakish! Those signposts, along with taixzo's, were a huge inspiration to mine--I'm trying to strike a middle ground in terms of detail. It seems to be working well.

And last but not least, there have been many well-wishes from the present (thank you BlitzGirl, ggh, and mrob, and all the rest of you xuys), which I appreciate a lot--honestly. :)
Just as a general note, I'm convinced the molpy emoji is actually a raptor. It just needs some wings and a bit more floof...
also most birbs do not serve as very good mounts for molpies--with the possible exception of the ratites.

1: At this point, I will admit to getting distracted by the reaction-diffusion systems in his avatar pic. Those are so cool...
2: My ignorant guess is recursion somewhere around the small Veblen ordinal. But I'm not a googolologist.
Last edited by thunk on Thu May 19, 2016 5:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1324

Postby mscha » Sat May 14, 2016 7:10 am UTC

CHUNGE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MUSTARDY OVARIES ARE SUPERIOR

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 14, 2016 8:50 am UTC

Oh, forgot to mention, your new avatar is molpish, thunk! Or raptorish, I suppose. Neat choice.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Re: 1190: Time: PUT BOTCASTLE ON MROBDEX

Postby svenman » Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Also I think @SilentTimer was just saying look at this manip by svenman, meaning that @ggh should look in the spoiler of the @SilentTimer post… which @ggh already did, so we're loopists.

Oh. Of course.

I'm a silly molpy.

Spoiler:
sillymolpy.jpg
sillymolpy.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 9657 times
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 14, 2016 10:32 am UTC

SilentTimer wrote:
ggh wrote:
SilentTimer wrote:
ggh wrote:So, when will we get to see the BlueCave in full resolution SilentTimer?
The answer lies in the past.
Oh - I was thrown off by the "not yet". I felt like I'd already been baobabbed over by that post. I couldn't imagine how there could be a fuller resolution, but you never cease to amaze, so who knows?
svenman might know.
Has this been enhanced before? (Spoilered for seaishness, but you may have to click on the actual attachment below to see it full-size, depending on your settings)
Spoiler:

ED, I finally got a chance to catch up on your vids (most of the time I'm trying not to remind the Little Wonder that YouTube exists). Heh - some of your advice is a lot more universal than I had expected. :) Great to find out about the process and how you're getting on. Also, rain. :)

mr*bdex wrote:something ironically called "Free and Open Source"
Ha! I was wondering how they pulled it off - glorious! I am not convinced the Grand Commissioner will choose to meet those demands.

Also, yes, I cheated and looked. Thank you, mrob!
Spoiler:
I really should remember to look at things from every angle. Well done, StormAngel!

Oh, and about the almost-alphabetical kit... I was wrong about "alfalfa." I thought, why not just email whoever manufactures it and ask, and while I was looking for the maker, I stumbled across this image (spoilered for science!):
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 3.55.25 AM.png

Aw, that's one cute silly molpy!

For Decree: How about:
If you were to make a Time 2, what would its 487th NP look like?

redundant:
Spoiler:
redundant-bluecaveEnhanced.png
Edited to replace misbehaving image link with attachment
Edit 2: experimentation
Last edited by ggh on Sat May 14, 2016 5:45 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 14, 2016 1:26 pm UTC

Instead of commandment, spoiler contained mustard. Would not spoil again.

Dunno why, (probably one of ggh's mysterious seer things) but the image that is actually in the spoiler does not show... at least for me. It is on the other side of this link:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hMwE0LHobdI/ ... 00/050.JPG

(Gotten by showing source on the web page, searching for a nearby phrase, ignoring the <computery stuff> and looking for an image URL.)

I'm having computer mustard of my own... all of a sudden my (ubuntu 14.04) MTA would not recognize wifi or ethernet. I found a solution workaround, (adding lines to /etc/network/interfaces) but the original way of recognizing the hardware (whatever it was) is still not working.

It's a puzzlement.

As to what the One True Question would be.... it would be "How does one read Beanish?" I'm assuming He's not an Evil Wish-granting Genie ready to come up with a smart ass-answer, but I suppose He might consider this multiple questions. It'd be worth the risk.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 14, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

Can't seers have trouble with their sand too?
Hmm, thanks for finding that, Jose. I'm having some computer mustard that involves my cut-n-paste not working; I had to write all those addresses by hand, so I'm not surprised that there's a problem, but it is epsilon that my post looks unbroken to me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 14, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

ggh wrote:...it is epsilon that my post looks unbroken to me.
If an image is in your cache, your sand could serve it up even if it's unavailable on the net. But I don't think that's the problem. The image is in my cache now and your post still tickles Corinne.

I think it's the woolmaker.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 14, 2016 3:59 pm UTC

Better now? I sidestepped.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 14, 2016 5:33 pm UTC

Yes, now I can see the image.

Now if you just put that in a spoiler, does it disappear again? Enquiring minds want to know!

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 14, 2016 5:55 pm UTC

Done.

Also, must molpy down. It's almost 6. Oops.
Agatha the Awesomeful

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Sat May 14, 2016 6:31 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Also I think @SilentTimer was just saying look at this manip by svenman, meaning that @ggh should look in the spoiler of the @SilentTimer post… which @ggh already did, so we're loopists.

OK. Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 14, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

@ggh...and now it works - the image is hidden in the spoiler. It's either Rod Serling, or weird Seer stuff. :)

Jose

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1339

Postby mscha » Sat May 14, 2016 10:10 pm UTC

BANTERUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ucim.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:EVERY TIME YOU :LMJB:, RANDALL BLITZNAPS A CUPCAKE. PLEASE, THINK OF THE CUPCAKES.

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat May 14, 2016 10:20 pm UTC

Image Treeish!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Mornip T8eaTime"

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 15, 2016 12:23 am UTC

Hi ggh! Expect more universal advice in episode 11. Yes, I'm plannin ahead.

And baobabs, I'm already up to episode 10! https://youtu.be/O8NpRRjEV6M iFruit.

For decree: please explain the headwear/hairstyle choices.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Time": update

Postby thunk » Sun May 15, 2016 6:33 am UTC

or, as earlier, upd8. They're both reports from the past.

Like in the NHC hurricane advisories, updates (and hypothetical position fixes) do not count in the numbering, while regular signposts, released every 35-50 NP, do. Important events may, however, warrant the issuance of special signposts which do increment the numbering--there has been one of these so far.

The update was meant to inform you that I am now blitzing considerably more slowly than before, because part of me got bored with waiting and started to play Sandcastle Builder instead. Thank you, Eternal Density, for this diversion-- I will however respectfully disagree with your choice of Australia's worst prime ministers.
troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time": can't be bothered fixing the typos

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 15, 2016 7:02 am UTC

thunk wrote:or, as earlier, upd8. They're both reports from the past.

Like in the NHC hurricane advisories, updates (and hypothetical position fixes) do not count in the numbering, while regular signposts, released every 35-50 NP, do. Important events may, however, warrant the issuance of special signposts which do increment the numbering--there has been one of these so far.

The update was meant to inform you that I am now blitzing considerably more slowly than before, because part of me got bored with waiting and started to play Sandcastle Builder instead. Thank you, Eternal Density, for this diversion-- I will however respectfully disagree with your choice of Australia's worst prime ministers.
You're welcome.
I probably disagree with whatever I wrote too, and doubt it was a considered opinion.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1350

Postby mscha » Sun May 15, 2016 9:10 am UTC

MAPMAKUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE HERETICAL KEYBOARDS WERE NEITHER HERETICAL NOR KEYBOARDS. DISCUSS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

NoMouse

LOOK ON MY FACEBUGS, YE EE:EE:EEING, AND KETCHUP!

Postby NoMouse » Sun May 15, 2016 11:11 am UTC

Is it the time of the yip already, oldpixbot?

Also hi, I'm now fully caught up. There's still one thing I either missed or wasn't explained yet - how the ch*rp did ggh decipher the proto-beanish? Normally, there would be quite straightforward answer - frequency analysis. But the script is not a 1:1 substitution of English alphabet but rather its made up phonetic version. So I would imagine frequency analysis would be useless or at least only a little helpful. Or am i wrong?

ETA: The only obvious hint I see is the stop sign. But that's just four letters. Is that enough to substitute corresponding letters in the rest of the texts and trying to guess some of the other words, thus getting more letters and iterate the process?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: LOOK ON MY FACEBUGS, YE EE:EE:EEING, AND KETCHUP!

Postby SBN » Sun May 15, 2016 12:27 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Is it the time of the yip already, oldpixbot?

Also hi, I'm now fully caught up. There's still one thing I either missed or wasn't explained yet - how the ch*rp did ggh decipher the proto-beanish? Normally, there would be quite straightforward answer - frequency analysis. But the script is not a 1:1 substitution of English alphabet but rather its made up phonetic version. So I would imagine frequency analysis would be useless or at least only a little helpful. Or am i wrong?

ETA: The only obvious hint I see is the stop sign. But that's just four letters. Is that enough to substitute corresponding letters in the rest of the texts and trying to guess some of the other words, thus getting more letters and iterate the process?

I think the bio-lume was involved somehow. Maybe her batch was brain-lume. Mine was not, I'm just sitting in the back of the class, trying to figure out when we switched from arithmetic to calculus, and how I'm ever going to understand this stuff.

There was other stuff I should comment on, but I've had a tragedy* so not currently able to remember it. If you wrote something recently, please assume I appreciated/enjoyed it, and if you are so inclined, imagine a witty/clever reply I might have made.

*my coffee maker has died. I've had to resort to microwave coffee.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun May 15, 2016 12:52 pm UTC

SilentTimer wrote:OK. Image
Oh. Good thing for me you don't carry a saw. :)

NoMouse wrote:ETA: The only obvious hint I see is the stop sign. But that's just four letters. Is that enough to substitute corresponding letters in the rest of the texts and trying to guess some of the other words, thus getting more letters and iterate the process?
Spoiler:
The stop sign was the big one. I also thought the word before the date would most likely be "on". When those two had one curl in common in the right place, that was a good sign. Substituting the letters from stop and on into the heading of the sign gave n**t*s, which sounded encouragingly like notice and also suggested the phonetic thing. From there, one thing just led to another. The hardest bits for me were vowel sounds, place names like Av Andalucia and Ceuta, and the graffiti.

The trick in the beginning was identifying what the individual characters were - I mean, at first, stop looked like 3 characters. I had been looking at all sorts of stop signs worrying that this was going to be based on Inuit or Burmese or Elven or something. There were quite a few dead ends. If it had been based on another language, I don't think I could have solved it. I just don't know much about deciphering language; when you say frequency analysis, I'm just nodding my head and pretending that I know what you mean. When I posted the corpus image, the corpus with my suggested diacritics marked (there's mistakes in that, btw), and then a proposed character list, I was mostly trying to make it easier for someone else to see the light, because I didn't think I'd be able to solve it. "Notice" changed all that.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: HALA KEIPU: WHAT IF WE ARE *ALL* JOSE?!?!!

Postby mrob27 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:03 pm UTC

thunk wrote:At this point, I will admit to getting distracted by the reaction-diffusion systems in his avatar pic

My avatar image:

is based on the hacker emblem:

because, of course, reaction-diffusion patterns and cellular automata patterns are so similar. (For those who don't know, I have some web pages with cool patterns, start here; and I think this is what @thunk was looking at. I was also involved in the early days of creating the "Ready" program, free software for making patterns like this. I suggested the name: "Ready" is a pun on "Reaction-Diffusion", because "Golly" is a pun on "Game of Life" (GoL).)

ggh wrote:The stop sign was the big one. I also thought the word before the date would most likely be "on". When those two had one curl in common in the right place, that was a good sign. […]

If your technique involves "considering what is most likely", then it's a form of frequency analysis, so far as I'm concerned. But yes to @NoMouse, a brute-force frequency analysis, like pasting text into some online code-breaking tool, wouldn't work even if it were a straight alphabetic cipher, because the corpus is too small.

[…]I'm just nodding my head and pretending that I know what you mean.

Oh, really?
ggh wrote:(OTT:1664:39) This extra code was an awesome hint, because it's the same bit about dangerous time travel he sent before, and that allowed me to reverse engineer it. So to decode this, you turn the whole thing into binary and the least significant 11 digits give the frame number, the next three give the quote number, and the rest give the index into the quote (starting from 0, so 1 is actually the second word.). There's a small amount of ambiguity, because 11 digits isn't quite enough for the frame number - when it's 2048 or above, that 1 gets added to whatever's in the quote section. I can explain further if that doesn't make sense.
  Using this, we get:

AluisioASG wrote: group 1 / group 2 / group 3 / group 4 / group 5 / end of markings

Yeah, @ggh knows something about deciphering. :lol:

When I posted the corpus image, the corpus with my suggested diacritics marked (there's mistakes in that, btw), and then a proposed character list, I was mostly trying to make it easier for someone else to see the light, because I didn't think I'd be able to solve it.

Yes, I think either Jose or @ucim did take advantage of that, because as I detailed earlier, at one point xey knew that you knew who the mystery author was, but xey did not know who the mystery author was, but nevertheless xey went on to post the Acts of the Clerics chapter identifying the mystery author as something sounding like "Texaco".
  I say "either Jose or @ucim" as if that were two separate people, because recently (here, when not-answering this very question), @ucim referred to "Jose" in the third person, as if it were one person talking about another person. It sounds far-fetched, but I think it is part of an effort on the part of Jose and/or @ucim to make sure @ggh gets the credit for figuring out that @taixzo created t-1, because @ggh deserves it, and because evidently @ggh needs a little reminding that she is good at figuring out codes.

For my own decree ("Contemplate what we'd do if Randall Munroe came around some day and said we could get any question about Time answered, but only one, and no wishing for more wishes. Discuss!"):

I imagine a religious schism or three:
  • Those who believe the appearance of Randall is not the real Randall, divided into two sub-factions (those who accept that the non-Randall could still be regarded as good or benign, and those who view xem as heretical). This is plausible because the real Randall Munroe hasn't been around on the fora for a while, so far as we know. This was his account. There's probably a good reason or three for that, so any appearance of Randall would need a lot of proof.
  • Those who do believe it's Randall, but believe we should not ask a question, even though Randall made the offer, because it's better to let any mysteries remain such, and the OTT thrives on the things that are unanswered.
  • Those who would ask a question about the process of creating Time, e.g. what it was like learning it won a Hugo, etc. I think this includes @ggh's response.
  • Those who would ask a question about the story in Time, i.e. an "in-universe" question, e.g. the responses from @BlitzGirl, @ucim/Jose, and @Eternal Density. Inasmuch as this seems to be the most popular faction, it would probably organise an election committee to work out a process for deciding which question actually gets officially asked.
And now I've answered the decree, viz. the above is what I thought of when I contemplated that hypothetical. As for which faction I'd be in, I suppose it would be the not-really-Randall-but-benign group.

mrob27 Image

Spoiler:
mrob27 20120825.0103.jpg
avatar of mrob27, prior to getting a hat from ChronosDragon
mrob27 20120825.0103.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 9004 times

hacker-emblem.png
Hacker emblem, design by Eric Raymond
hacker-emblem.png (13.01 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 15, 2016 5:47 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:Is it the time of the yip already, oldpixbot?

Nope, it's Molpy Time! That newpix is the first appearance of the molpy that inspired the creation of the word "molpy" on newpage 621.

Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sun May 15, 2016 10:00 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
NoMouse wrote:ETA: The only obvious hint I see is the stop sign. But that's just four letters. Is that enough to substitute corresponding letters in the rest of the texts and trying to guess some of the other words, thus getting more letters and iterate the process?
Spoiler:
The stop sign was the big one. I also thought the word before the date would most likely be "on". When those two had one curl in common in the right place, that was a good sign. Substituting the letters from stop and on into the heading of the sign gave n**t*s, which sounded encouragingly like notice and also suggested the phonetic thing. From there, one thing just led to another. The hardest bits for me were vowel sounds, place names like Av Andalucia and Ceuta, and the graffiti.

The trick in the beginning was identifying what the individual characters were - I mean, at first, stop looked like 3 characters. I had been looking at all sorts of stop signs worrying that this was going to be based on Inuit or Burmese or Elven or something. There were quite a few dead ends. If it had been based on another language, I don't think I could have solved it. I just don't know much about deciphering language; when you say frequency analysis, I'm just nodding my head and pretending that I know what you mean. When I posted the corpus image, the corpus with my suggested diacritics marked (there's mistakes in that, btw), and then a proposed character list, I was mostly trying to make it easier for someone else to see the light, because I didn't think I'd be able to solve it. "Notice" changed all that.

Wow. I wouldn't think it was possible with such little information as a starting point. The n**t*s thing is genius, I don't think I would ever guess that, the phonetic nature of the script would probably never come to my mind.

Although I remember a discussion about an English spelling reform proposal taking place during the t1i time - it starts with this post and continues below and then gets mentioned again several NPs later at least here and here.

And on an unRELATED note - I just noticed that the text field automatically stretches out when the post is too long to fit in it - is this a new forum thing or a new Firefox thing?

ETA: Seems like a fora thing and it seems that it doesn't stretch forever as it stopped stretching just now. The unfortunate consequence is that the text area is missing the little triangle thingy in the bottom right corner which you can normally use to change the text area size manually.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun May 15, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

Maybe it is a Firefox thing because I haven't noticed the text field stretching in Chrome. The triangle remains in place.

MolestUNG the berry bush...

OTT Time Travel: Newpage 629

BlitzGirl wrote:We're never going to be able to pick out the molpy if the landscape keeps changing!

It could have been there for newpix and newpix, shadowing Cuegan's steps as they journeyed...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Re: 1190: Time: HALA KEIPU: WHAT IF WE ARE *ALL* JOSE?!?!!

Postby addams » Sun May 15, 2016 11:23 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
thunk wrote:At this point, I will admit to getting distracted by the reaction-diffusion systems in his avatar pic

because, of course, reaction-diffusion patterns and cellular automata patterns are so similar. (For those who don't know, I have some web pages with cool patterns, start here; and I think this is what @thunk was looking at. I was also involved in the early days of creating the "Ready" program, free software for making patterns like this. I suggested the name: "Ready" is a pun on "Reaction-Diffusion", because "Golly" is a pun on "Game of Life" (GoL).)

That post ... well...
The Link mrob27 labeled 'here'.
http://www.mrob.com/pub/comp/xmorphia/index.html

I was 'there' a long Time.
The images are hypnotic.

oh,... Back On Decree:
"Contemplate what we'd do if Randall Munroe came around some day and said we could get any question about Time answered, but only one, and no wishing for more wishes. Discuss!"
My Question:
Spoiler:
Will You;Won't You;
Will You Stay & Play?

oops.
Is that Wishing for more Wishes?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gingercat

Re: TimeAfterTime Revisited – t1i-1058

Postby Gingercat » Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm reminded of this Dean Koontz book where scientists had bred golden retriever that was really smart, understood English, learned to read and whatnot. At the end of the book, he "married" a regular dog, and they had little puppies that got their dad's intelligence. The book talked about how the mother loved the puppies and enjoyed having them around, but she was always kind of confused because they could do all of these things and communicate in ways that she couldn't even understand. That's how I feel, reading these posts. :D

That book would be "Watchers". :)

I absolutely loved that book when I read it, so much that the book name, imagery and overall concept stuck with me. In terms of the movie Inside Out, that book would be a "Core Memory" :mrgreen:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

Postby thunk » Mon May 16, 2016 1:33 am UTC

addams wrote:I was 'there' a long Time.
The images are hypnotic.

That's exactly right. Bubbles and mitosis and the rest sucked up a few hours.

mrob27 wrote:I suggested the name: "Ready" is a pun on "Reaction-Diffusion", because "Golly" is a pun on "Game of Life" (GoL).)

Ah, so that's where that name comes from... I remember coming across that on cp4space, but didn't think much of the name.
I should probably be a historian--I'm bad at naming things anyway.

BlitzGirl wrote:I haven't noticed the text field stretching in Chrome.

It works for me on Mac Chrome.

As for the papal decree, I honestly don't know what I'd do if Randall gave us the opportunity to ask something...I'd honestly be too afraid to ask anything. And of course, that could be another False Randall anyway.

Three yips back and more
in the spring, how Megball hiked
and saved all they knew.
Our summer now is blue with
sleuthing, and sundry memebots.
troo dat

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 16, 2016 1:54 am UTC

I thought my question about hats was a creative process question, not an story question, though I suppose there's overlap. It's more like a Venn diagram.

I was wrong about the next Chemo Man episode having universal advice. But the one after this should.
https://youtu.be/Tc2k2VWxlf4 - ep 11 "Torn"

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 16, 2016 2:02 am UTC

thunk wrote:part of me got bored with waiting
Don't make me heat up the Chocolate Cauldron!
thunk wrote:and started to play Sandcastle Builder instead.
Ah... I understand. Carrion.

mrob27 wrote:Yeah, @ggh knows something about deciphering. :lol:
...which is one of the ways I knew that she knew.
mrob27 wrote:Yes, I think either Jose or @ucim did take advantage of that
Not specifically that, but rather, the fact that the that was there.
mrob27 wrote:I say "either Jose or @ucim" as if that were two separate people, because
We already know that sometimes there are two Josés (and sometimes, none). (I can't find the link, but I'm sure you can!)
mrob27 wrote:...to make sure @ggh gets the credit for figuring out that @taixzo created t-1...
ggh deserves all the credit. It was like unto a burnt steak, even moreso as she posted the "how I did that".

re: decree - I'd actually be a little disappointed if the OTA offered to answer a question. On the one hand I'm in the "it's better to let any mysteries remain such, and the OTT thrives on the things that are unanswered." camp. But in the face of an offer, I would not turn down the chance to glean wisdom from the One True Author.

I suppose, rather than "how does one read Beanish", I might ask "Do you believe there's enough of a corpus for us to figure it out?". If the answer were "no", I'd then ask my original question ("Sorry, too late! One question only!"). But if the answer were "yes", then that would be sufficient.
Spoiler:
It's one of the reasons I came out and stated that in AotC, I did not go through the trouble of creating a new language... (yet). It wasn't necessary for the story I was telling, and I didn't want people wasting their Time.

(Sorry about that Febrion!)
NoMouse wrote:And on an unRELATED note - I just noticed that the text field automatically stretches out when the post is too long to fit in it - is this a new forum thing or a new Firefox thing?
Whatever it is, I think it's m*stard. It ch*rpin' throws the "post/preview" buttons off the screen.

Dear Organized Sand,
Please stop thinking you know what's best for me. If I want you to do something, I'll tell you. Thank you.

"addams"]That post ... well...
The Link mrob27 labeled 'here'.
http://www.mrob.com/pub/comp/xmorphia/index.html

I was 'there' a long Time.
The images are hypnotic.
Indeed they are. I'm tempted to feed them into google's DeepDreaming. Wouldn't that be a trip!

Jose. Or maybe not.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon May 16, 2016 2:04 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed. We do have a Western Paradox Church for that, even if we don't.

I [might?] think the catbox I [don't?] live in is[n't?] part of that Church.

I used to be indecisive on the matter, now I'm not so sure about that.

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 16, 2016 2:14 am UTC

oh, ChemoMan!
I laughed at ep #11.

You look, 'Fine as Frogs Hair'.
Oh! Oh! Spoilered Wives Tail:
Spoiler:
There are oblique shaped hair follicles that produce straight hair.
There are round shaped hair follicles that produce curly hair.

When hair falls out due to chemo,
the follicles often relax and become round.

Therefore, for all the trouble of chemo
many people receive luscious curls of hair.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 am UTC

Interesting. I'm on Windows 10 with my Chrome and still no self-seaishing text box.

Yay Chemo Man!

addams wrote:My Question:
Spoiler:
Will You;Won't You;
Will You Stay & Play?

oops.
Is that Wishing for more Wishes?

Ha! I don't know what would happen if GLR magically turned into an OTTer. Would the universe collapse in on itself?

ucim wrote: Carrion.

VITSSÅGEN, JA!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 am UTC

oh, BlitzGirl;
He is here.
Spoiler:
Like any good little Deity.
Watching, Waiting ... Posting.

edit: Entertainment for Deities and non-Deities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93xY06Sh7FE
Last edited by addams on Mon May 16, 2016 3:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon May 16, 2016 3:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Ha! I don't know what would happen if GLR magically turned into an OTTer. Would the universe collapse in on itself?

Nah. For all we know, GLR is either a silent lurker, watching with fascination as his creation continues to be discussed for years after its release (and continues to spawn creative material of its own), or he could be an interactive poster with no overt suggestions that he's GLR. "I'm just one of the xuys..." (Covert ops?)

If I myself was the creator of such a well-received piece of content, I would probably take the covert approach (it would be fun to experience the community without the inevitable deluge of questions), but that's just me.

And the Preview window shows me that I'm semininja'd by addams! :)

ETA: ggh, I've had my reply to you about Crowded House rattling around in my semi-existent skull ever since I saw your post, and it keeps disappearing before I can act on it! To wit: I'd love to discuss Crowded House with you, and I'm sure our fellow OTTers wouldn't mind. (I saw them in concert a few yips back; it was a marvellous experience, marred only by one idiot directly behind me who felt that continuously whistling through their fingers as loudly as possible was a valid contribution to the show.)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 am UTC

addams wrote:edit: Entertainment for Deities and non-Deities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93xY06Sh7FE

That was fun!

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”