1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:41 am UTC

Quite the steakish xuy page, mrob! Hmmm, thinking of adding xuy to my aliases the next time I'm logged in to a linux box (and remember).

MistyCat wrote:Hey, ggh, you offered to send me the original image, and I declined because my capture of the distorted image was... right. Correct. Appropriate. What I wanted, even though I didn't know what I wanted.
I've changed my mind. (The new mind is an upgrade, capable of eleventy-ump more microflops per macrofortnight. Not a pretty sight, flops everywhere.)
Would you mind to either PM me the original, or post it here in full view of everybody, all those eyes, staring, watching, judging... ... OK, I'm better now.

Back to your above quote.
ggh wrote:no one ever spotted MistyCat

Sigh

I found manymany otters in that findTheOTTer image, but I haven't yet found me. (Sounds like the title of a 60s C&W song.)
The TIME you must have spent! (Admiration, aWe, envy, pleasure.)
I think I'll PM it to you, because... reasons. Sadly, I may have lost the font when my last sand died. Or maybe it's just misplaced.

It did take a lot of Time - more Time than I planned. Hiding OTTers and OTTerprenalia took probably as much Time as you'd expect, but then messing with StormAngel was quite a job too. Made me smile though. :P I wonder if anyone will ever find the Blue Cave. I can't remember anymore where it is, or even if I put it in at all.

thunk wrote:I found approximately 64 OTTers in that picture. None of them were MistyCat.
They were all cleverly hidden.
Spoiler:
Though I'm not sure how poor Lu became an equimolp. Journey to the ($direction)?
That's great! - especially since some folks would have changed their avatars or disappeared entirely before your Time. You got about two-thirds of them. Also there's somewhere between ~15-20 objects of OTTerity, depending on whether you group related items.
Spoiler:
I had a head! I had to stick it on something! (Also, it made me chuckle to imagine the indignation of Storm)
Fun double dactyl!

Good luck with the castle, SBN!

yappobiscuits wrote:
ggh wrote:I had to resort to bashing stuff together:
Spoiler:
Is it like looking in a mirror?
I wish :P ...No, with my physique I'm a bit more "hobbit dressed like a viking" than actual viking :P
You have no trouble seeing yourself with a tail and covered in fur, but a few muscles are too far-fetched?

I want you to know I wrote a song, and sang itfor some definitions of singing, while playingfor some definitions of playing an accordion! It was terrifying, but fun - it was probably less so for the folks I was singing to.

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:but I haven't found that in the somefiles that I can easily view.
It's not in the somefiles
Oh! It's a molpy!

lmjb1964 wrote:That definitely looks like an iguana, and I'm pretty sure that iguanas, and most lizards as far as I know, are more than happy to eat bugs, even if they are mostly vegetarian. He sounds like he was really fun, which also suggests that it was an iguana. They can have quite the personality.
He was pretty awesomeful. :) Man, the days before molpy identification on the internet were dark ages.

thunk wrote:... is probably Link, who hit a six in the form of Automome.
Interesting. Should I have expected this idiom from you?

MistyCat, I would very much like to have a pint with you someday. :)

ETA: Oh no, I was supposed to goat! I wanted to finally be commenting on the right page....
Oh well, close.
Last edited by ggh on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 am UTC

MistyCat, I love your posts. Posting sober is overrated. :D And I concur with ggh--I'd like to have pint with you sometime. And with ggh. OTTer pint meetup!

Good find with the molpy, ggh.

Provisional decree (unless ggh asserts her pope-or mome-dom) (No, don't mention papadums again. I ate waaaaayyyy too much Indian food on Saturday. It was painful. But so tasty.) Wait, what was I doing again? Oh, right, decree:

Explain what the ch*rp I'm doing still up at 4:41 AMH when I have an interview in about 4 hours.
Or, alternately, tell about a time you stayed up way too late, and whether it was a good thing or not.

Edited because I didn't realize there was a newpage the first time I posted.
And then again to remove the duplicate line that inexplicably showed up.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:12 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Posting sober is overrated.
buffygirl wrote:
Spoiler:
BLINDPOSTING!!

oooh, shoot. never-mind. tooo d*** and b**** -- forgot what I was saying ...

right so -- rewarding blind-posting, gimme a TRIP!!

DOUBLE NOTE: Wow. no idea what I'm talking about. Blame alla them!!

AWWwwww, S**T! I'll pope'n'sh*t.

Right, y'all, let's get to it. Let's gimm'em a B
gimm'em a B
et's gimmem a"u"
KLet's givem a U
Let's giovem a "m"
Let's give 'em a "em" o--- but face it!

ETA: yes, that's me. ermm ... under the influence of *@#& &#@**&&$. Oh right. Sorry. Wait, is that a squirpy over there?
...Looks like it is indeed ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2074

Postby mscha » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

TUNGLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by AnotherKevin.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NOW IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME, I HAVE TIMEFRAMES TO SCHIZOBLITZ

-- posted by oldpixbot

mrob27

1190: "Time": ALL YOUR ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ARE BELONG TO IMAGEBOT

Postby mrob27 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:00 pm UTC

I seem to go through phases when I feel like my replies are really urgent — I most definitely must post them right away, or risk a severe degradation of molpiness. Then I go through other phases when it feels like Waiting and submitting the post whenever I molpily feel like it is the molpiest strategy. This has been one of those Times…

karhell wrote:If I read that correctly, you can actually blitz recursively ?
Recursively blitzing the recursive sandcastles might get a tad memory-intensive though ^^

Recursive Blitzing is not only implied by the synopsis, it is expected. As you guessed, use the -SB option to invoke Sandcastle Builder and redirect your Blitz into another instance (with the various Time Travel options and/or undocumented OTTobots). -J will help keep things interesting. -L seems to have interesting side-effects.

macgraw83 wrote:WYSIWIHATWW / What you see is what I had a thought would work?

I take it to be something like "What You'll See is Whatever I'll Have Actually Had Time To Write" which of course doesn't fit the acronym. At that time @AluisioASG seems to have been contemplating travel to Bochum to participate in OTTercon and/or preparing a talk to deliver remotely.

A lot of people liked my OTTification, yay!

⪦ ⩤ ⫷ aZZulean aspirations ⫸ ⩥ ⪧

I've made a little progress on my ongoing Zanclean Zodiac quest: @azule actually communicated to me about it!

azule wrote:You go to the next element by pressing ctrl+[right arrow].

This confirms a hint I found in the Javascript. In context, @azule was referring to the last image, the one that is up against the right edge of the window if you scroll down to the paragraph that starts, The story goes that ᓭᐧᘈᖉᕋ was simply gathering nuts… On a real computer the cursor changes when you hover over that image, as if it were a link.

Apparently this control-arrow action is possible for some people, but not me. I tried a few browsers and a lot of leopard keys, plus trackpad "clicking" and other stuff. I asked @azule for help but have not gotten any reply.

Please visit the Zanclean Zodiac page and try "ctrl+[right arrow]". If you are successful, please let us know what browser, what type of device and operating system, and what keys you actually pressed. (Extra credit if you are on a device that has actual control and arrow keys).

I'm mainly just interested in finding out if there is more to the story, or more images beyond the 43 that I posted in a ZIP file here plus the additional 39 or so that you get by taking the URL of this image and changing the number to anything from 2407 to 2439, or "2440" plus a letter from a to e, or "2440z".

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

karhell

Re: 1190: "Time": ALL YOUR ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ARE BELONG TO IMAGEBOT

Postby karhell » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:27 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
⪦ ⩤ ⫷ aZZulean aspirations ⫸ ⩥ ⪧

ctrl+arrow works for me, up to the 33rd image, where it abrubtly stops responding, for some reason.
For what it's worth, I'm on windows 7 pro 64bit, with opera 12.17
ETA: forgot to mention I tested with both ctrl keys and both arrows
Last edited by karhell on Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time": ALL YOUR ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО ARE BELONG TO IMAGEBOT

Postby taixzo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:This confirms a hint I found in the Javascript. In context, @azule was referring to the last image, the one that is up against the right edge of the window if you scroll down to the paragraph that starts, The story goes that ᓭᐧᘈᖉᕋ was simply gathering nuts… On a real computer the cursor changes when you hover over that image, as if it were a link.

Apparently this control-arrow action is possible for some people, but not me. I tried a few browsers and a lot of leopard keys, plus trackpad "clicking" and other stuff. I asked @azule for help but have not gotten any reply.

Please visit the Zanclean Zodiac page and try "ctrl+[right arrow]". If you are successful, please let us know what browser, what type of device and operating system, and what keys you actually pressed. (Extra credit if you are on a device that has actual control and arrow keys).

Control+right arrow does not work for me in Chrome on Ubuntu on a laptop. (I pressed left control and the right arrow key.)

Edit: But it does work in Chrome on OSX.
Last edited by taixzo on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:15 pm UTC

Ctrl+right arrow does not work for me on Chrome on a Mac OS10.10.5.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:but I haven't found that in the somefiles that I can easily view.
It's not in the somefiles
Oh! It's a molpy!
Yes, this is the molpy which was unnoticed since 9.9.2014 and you found it!

mrob27 wrote:Please visit the Zanclean Zodiac page and try "ctrl+[right arrow]". If you are successful, please let us know what browser, what type of device and operating system, and what keys you actually pressed. (Extra credit if you are on a device that has actual control and arrow keys).

It works with this url: http://xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/
but not with this: http://xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/?latest (URL found in azule's posts) (the frame does not appear at all)
I can move to next and previous frames by using the control and arrow keys (left right)
I can move 32 frames frames to the right. If I try once more it stops working and I can't go back.
The frames don't have URLs.

Computer is an x86 laptop PC (Dell D610).
OS is Debian 7.10.0-i386, lxde
Browser is Iceweasel 38.7.1
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:36 pm UTC

ggh wrote:You have no trouble seeing yourself with a tail and covered in fur, but a few muscles are too far-fetched?

Correct. Says a lot about my self-confidence I guess :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:49 pm UTC

Once I realised I had to scroll to the bottom first, ctrl + right works fine in Firefox 47 and Chrome 51ish (Windows 10 Pro).
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:30 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Provisional decree (unless ggh asserts her pope-or mome-dom) (No, don't mention papadums again. I ate waaaaayyyy too much Indian food on Saturday. It was painful. But so tasty.) Wait, what was I doing again? Oh, right, decree:

Explain what the ch*rp I'm doing still up at 4:41 AMH when I have an interview in about 4 hours.
Or, alternately, tell about a time you stayed up way too late, and whether it was a good thing or not.
I am doing this way too often. Because I am stupid. The Little Wonder often doesn't let me have any quiet Time, and I have been terrible about training her to go to bed, so frequently she's up past midnight. Then when we are tucked away and I can read without interruption, the laptop gets turned on....

Last night I posted, saw that I was pope, and started making an edit. I couldn't think of a decree right away, so I planned to come up with one once we were in bed. Then I passed out soundly when I hit the pillow (these approaches tend to alternate) so thanks for filling the decree vacuum!

Good luck in your interview! (Is there OTTish for wellwishing?)

mrob, ctrl+[right arrow] did nothing for me on Chrome on a MacBook.

balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this is the molpy which was unnoticed since 9.9.2014 and you found it!
Thanks for the hints! Wolpy? Seems too small for a deerpy... could be a little woolpy....

ETA: Oh, and while we're talking about stuff that has lain unnoticed for ages: the day before yesterday I finally noticed the boom deyada you mailed me over two years ago. You are an amazing Waiter! I should take a picture of that....
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

Funny story, I woke up way too early this morning to start getting ready for my interview, then all of a sudden thought, wait, is it todip or tomorrip? Turns out it was tomorrip. Good news: I got to go back to sleep for an hour. Bad news: I have a training for my summer job that starts an oldpix before my interview and lasts all morning. Had to email the guy about the interview and say oops, can we change the time? We'll see what they say. Ch*rpin m*st*rd! I have too much going on. But thanks for the well-wishes! (Hm, OTTish--"Molpish thoughts?" "Wishing you wowterfulness?" "Hope it's custardful?" Any of those would work. :D

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:12 pm UTC

Doing some selective ketchup replies. Lots of treeish posts lately, I can't really do them all justice, so I won't try.

Baobabish mustard stories by SBN, thunk and ggh!

And addams, glad to hear that your backpack could be saved, and so could you. Hope that the rent situation is going to work out - and good to know there's more I can do than just hope.

Loved the xuy page, mrob27!

mrob27 wrote:(I am Imageing until further notice.)

svenman wrote:Optimistically (of course) / internationally / conversationally / computationally / hedonistically / motivationally / compositionally / unspontaneously / transatlantically / transpacifically / transportationally / competitionally / perturbationally

Honestly, I don't get this at all. Using "1" for a stressed syllable and "0" for unstressed, an anapest is "001". Your original "unambiguously" is 001000, as is "computationally" and a couple others. But most of these words you're suggesting have the stress pattern 101000 (some lazy or rushed dialects might take a 0 off the end) rather than the claimed/advertised "001001".
[...]

ggh wrote:As for svenman's adverbs, I think they'd work fine too. Even if spoken alone and naturally they might be considered to have different stresses, I find that when I'm happily tripping along a nice meter, I'll push "almosts" into the right rhythm, just like I'll alter my everyday pronunciation to accommodate a rhyme scheme as long as it's not too far off.

mrob27, first of all thanks for commenting on my list of suggested double-anapest words (which had been intended as food for discussion), and ggh, thanks for the support. Now I'm not quite a native speaker of English, so my ideas on pronounciation and prosody of English words should be taken with a few extra grains of salt anyway, but it is my impression (and ggh appears to agree with me, if I read her right) that word stress is not always as unambiguous and immutable as you, mrob27, seem to suggest. Different dialects may play a role here too - my pronounciation of English is shaped by various influences, of which a significant part is British English (mainly RP; I do get some exposure to other dialects of British English too, but regard them as less of a role model for pronounciation) and another one, by way of familal ties, Trinidadian English. At any rate, I concede that in this case, I was attempting to match words to a preconceived stress pattern, which may produce different results than if i were to utter these words in the context of ordinary speech, even if only because of confirmation bias.

Prosody nosody
Words have ambiguous
Stress patterns sometimes as
Far as I know.

Writing a poem, some
Interpretational
Freedom there helps making
Output to show.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:50 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
azule wrote:You go to the next element by pressing ctrl+[right arrow].

This confirms a hint I found in the Javascript. In context, @azule was referring to the last image, the one that is up against the right edge of the window if you scroll down to the paragraph that starts, The story goes that ????? was simply gathering nuts… On a real computer the cursor changes when you hover over that image, as if it were a link.

karhell wrote:
mrob27 wrote:
? ? ? aZZulean aspirations ? ? ?

ctrl+arrow works for me, up to the 33rd image, where it abrubtly stops responding, for some reason.
For what it's worth, I'm on windows 7 pro 64bit, with opera 12.17
ETA: forgot to mention I tested with both ctrl keys and both arrows

I've tested on windows 7 pro 64bit, with Opera 12.17 (Hi, Karhell. MSN. (That means "Me, too," for those under 40.) <Insert rant here. (Just the joy of Opera 12.17, not MSN. (MSN has been over-ranted.))>) I had no reaction to any (what I thought was logical, or deduced from analysis) combination of keys.
I also used the latest Opera (no joy) and the latest Chrome (more information, but no joy.) I also checked with the latest IE (32 bit) and IE (64 bit) (which I need because reasons (but I didn't use Edge because I would have had to walk at least 30 metres to get to that computer, and although I'm still 42, that's just my mind; the body is 30 days off 70 years and objects to walking.)) The mind just objects to counting brackets.
Didn't try Firefox. Won't try Firefox.
ETA For them as wot likes Firefox, go for it. If it works for you, don't fix it. (The opinions expressed above are those of an elderly man (See? I'm still just elderly, I'm not old yet) and as such will not be muted. They're immutable. (See what I did there? Anyone else for a beer? Ja?))
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 am UTC

I've totally forgotten: can you attach stuff to PMs? I've been trying to, but it isn't working, but then I seem to recall that that never worked. Was it even an option before?
Agatha the Awesomeful

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:24 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Provisional decree (unless ggh asserts her pope-or mome-dom) (No, don't mention papadums again. I ate waaaaayyyy too much Indian food on Saturday. It was painful. But so tasty.) Wait, what was I doing again? Oh, right, decree:

Last time I stayed up after 0400 was to party at my favorite rock/metal pub with live music. It was a Saturday evening (well, effectively Sunday) and I had not much to do on Sunday. Just some hangover gardening and grocery shopping.
The most impractical time I stayed up until 0400 was when I totally forgot time. I was a student and I had a couple of bottles of good home made wine, a horror book (Something about Dracula and Ravenloft) and a camp fire for light. And a new part time job starting at 0900.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:41 am UTC

ggh wrote:I've totally forgotten: can you attach stuff to PMs? I've been trying to, but it isn't working, but then I seem to recall that that never worked. Was it even an option before?

Doesn't look like it. I've tried various files, and all come up with status "The extension <whateverfileextensionIwasusing> is not allowed.".
Might be worth asking a mod for the reason behind this, or searching SFI to see if the issue has already been brought up.

edit : question ahoy!

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 am UTC

ggh wrote:I've totally forgotten: can you attach stuff to PMs?

I was about to say that this is a known issue and point you to the thread in SFI, but it seems I'm getting my chronology mixed up again.
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am UTC

If there is such a thread, I haven't found it. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed the obvious. If there is such a thread and I happened to miss it, I'll happily delete/close mine.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:43 am UTC

Thanks muchly for that! I find the idea of starting a thread very scary and never would have done it on my own. I thought maybe the info would be out there, but with "PM" being too short/common for a search term I couldn't see how to find it.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Shower Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:13 am UTC

I remember staying up until 4AM a few yips back, playing Mass Effect on my lapleopard in my often borrowed room in the house of interstate friends I used to occasionally vist. This was a little after the release of Mass Effect 2, as I was late to discovering and becoming interested in that franchise, so I had to blitz the first game, then imported my character from it into the sequel. I actually blitzed it so raptorishly that I didn't reallise that I could go talk to my crewmembers between missions, and thus completely missed the romance options. But Tali was my favourite character, and we somehow naturally fell into a relationship in the second game... and I'm rambling again!

I'll counteract this with more rambling:

Chemo Man Episode 21: Redux https://youtu.be/QNCn5oIZJjU
I think I forgot to link episode 20 or my recent attempt at singing, but they should be interesting enough to find if you want to see them.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Link

1190: "Time": ANTEPENGOATS ARE THE NEW WOWTREES

Postby Link » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:09 pm UTC

For decree: in the past few mips I've stayed up late entirely too often working on my Quantum Field Theory homework. I've had many dips with 5np of coma, one or two with 3, and even one with no coma at all (in fact I think I went around 30np without coma). For those of you who are lucky enough to have yet to experience such lunacy: let me tell y'all that it's really, really steambottle.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2098

Postby mscha » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:10 pm UTC

DEGRADUNGLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE ONGST

-- posted by oldpixbot

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:13 pm UTC

karhell wrote:If there is such a thread, I haven't found it.

There is such a thread only because you just made such a thread. I happened to see it before ketchup, so saw the answer before the question.
He/Him/His Image

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:53 pm UTC

HES wrote:
karhell wrote:If there is such a thread, I haven't found it.

There is such a thread only because you just made such a thread. I happened to see it before ketchup, so saw the answer before the question.

Hence the mixed up chronology. I see ^^

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Soup

Re: 1190: "Braindead"

Postby Soup » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:45 am UTC

Eep! I'm only halfway into the first episode, but there's now a TV show about red arachnids arthropods from spaaaaaaaace who effectively act as brain slugs on US politicians :shock:

ETA: Above, for extra gross and RELATEDness
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:16 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Funny story, I woke up way too early this morning to start getting ready for my interview, then all of a sudden thought, wait, is it todip or tomorrip? Turns out it was tomorrip. Good news: I got to go back to sleep for an hour. Bad news: I have a training for my summer job that starts an oldpix before my interview and lasts all morning. Had to email the guy about the interview and say oops, can we change the time? We'll see what they say. Ch*rpin m*st*rd! I have too much going on. But thanks for the well-wishes! (Hm, OTTish--"Molpish thoughts?" "Wishing you wowterfulness?" "Hope it's custardful?" Any of those would work. :D

oh, Laura!
You have Soo! much going on and you still made Time to help me.
Thank you.

oh, Dear!
Were you able to reschedule one event or the other?
It is like a high suspense Movie.

What happened?
Spoiler:
I'll Wait.
svenman wrote:And addams, glad to hear that your backpack could be saved, and so could you.
Thank you, svenman.
The BackPack is in Tip-Top Condition.
Considering the circumstances, so am I.
(too serious?)
Spoiler:
I saw my Doctor in his office, today.
I am stunned by my prognosis.

I am X>1 year.
I am used to being X<1 year.
Hope that the rent situation is going to work out - and good to know there's more I can do than just hope.
Thank you, again, svenman.
(kind'a funny)
Spoiler:
On my way back to the Box, I was Stunned.

More!
More than One Year??

AHH!?What About Next Year?!! AHHH!
(-panic!-panic!-panic!-)

At the Box on Time.
(***deep breath***)
ok (**one more**)

Maybe, I should take a page from the AA Club.
"One Year at a Time."

@Eternal Density/Hiccup Man;
Hiccups are funny.
or is that; Hiccups are funny, at first?

Has anyone given you a good explanation for your hiccups?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:55 am UTC

Congratulations addams!

You might die in an overturned van!
Also, beware men with machetes.

Did you see the Google Doodle for Phoebe Snetsinger recently?
I had never heard of her, but I followed the doodle to the Wikipedia article. She was a pretty good birder, but then, at 50, they diagnosed her with terminal melanoma, and she said chirp it and went out and became an awesomeful birder - like the first to see over 8000 different species. The cancer would go into remission and periodically return, sometimes requiring treatment. 18 years later, in the land of the baobabs, she died instantly when the van she was in overturned.
Agatha the Awesomeful

lmjb1964

NEEDLE-PULLED THINGS? IN _MY_ BAOBABBY?

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:47 am UTC

Congratulations on 1400, ggh! And no, your sig didn't sound like that until you mentioned it...

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Gingercat

Re: NEEDLE-PULLED THINGS? IN _MY_ BAOBABBY?

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:44 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Congratulations on 1400, ggh! And no, your sig didn't sound like that until you mentioned it...

And then addams was a zombie.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

Let me UNG, let me ketchup

Postby thunk » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:49 am UTC

ChronosDragon wrote:Here it comes. SOUND THE MORAL ALARM, ALL MEN TO MAXIM STATIONS! MOVE MOVE MOVE!

The famous thousand lifetimes frame.

I know I've always been stuck in cycles. But like Cuegan found, a bit of outside context is often extremely useful in order to understand a situation or solve a problem.

It can be extremely scary though.

I've been spending what seems to me to be a thousand lifetimes blitzing. So I've decided to do a bit of geohashing instead. Now I finally understand a bit more about my area.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Eternal Density

Niclep had grown to be seaish, and did what he wanted.

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:28 am UTC

@addams
Hiccups are funny for a few minutes, then they get annoying and uncomfortable. It's just something that can sometimes happen with this treatment course. Happily not often.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2119

Postby mscha » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:10 am UTC

UNGIOSARCOMATA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by xpatiate.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TEMPORALITY IS SREEE! ... OR IS IT, "TEMPORALITY WANTS TO BE SREEE"?

-- posted by oldpixbot

balthasar_s

BTTBAA(26)=1003 - Welcome to the 4-digit world!

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:11 pm UTC

It's blitzreport time, again?

But first, some words.
I decided that if I want to ever finish the blitz I have to change the blitzing style.
I will no longer add things to the database.
I stopped on page 978
And I will make less comments

Blitzreport 26; pages 948 ÷ 1003

STARS.

Taixzo's enhancement http://taixzo.com/Images/time_stars.png isn't there anymore.

knowing how things have worked out so far in the OTC, it might just be a clearly identifiable series of constellations that could only be viewed from some ridiculous, inconsistent place or time like this: Constellations in 50,000 years

I like how within an eighth of a newpix three of us all posted different star enhancements.

Canis Major. The bright star would be Sirius.
Almost.

Maybe they will all turn into flying toasters.

what if we were thousands of years in the past or future... would any of those constellations have changed to resemble the OTC ones more?

How's this line up?
Australia, early November. 9:30 AM UTC. (That's around 7.30 pm local time)
???

In fact the moon should come into view on the next frame! If Randall is paying attention :-)

Lots of guessing

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, How I Wonder in What Hemisphere You Are," to remind all Waiters to stop and enjoy the beauty and awefulsomeness of the scene.

Frames are demustarded by removing a star!

ANOMALY!
As I scrolled down to this, I thought it was a manip. The OTC is getting beautiful

11/7/2013 shows no other planets in the vicinity. It would have to be some other year -- who knows when and where... I'm not going to look for that unlikely conjunction.

Can we please spoiler that image already? Pretty please???
?which one?

It was just that people were being all rational about the Darkening and I thought mass hysteria was a far more appropriate response
when you map upon a star

3 3 °
Imagine that we did get a universe swap-out and just one star was different. Would we notice?

Say, with all this star-checking going on, has anyone been keeping an eye out for molpies? Cuegan could be in grave danger! :o

Note to self: Never again put spoiler tags inside URL tags.)

if Randall drew the star super accurate, then I am thinking this may be some time in the future.
My reasoning: where the hell is Antares?!
Scorpii is another star that seems to have disappeared.
also, several other stars seem to be placed in slightly different places.

dixmorrow

I had the same thought. With Stellarium I get a better match to the shapes (in particular, looking at the shape of Corona Australis and the angle between the bow stars Kaus Borealis/Media/Australis) at about 20000 +- 5000 AD.
star analysis

Huh? Geostationary orbit is 25,000 miles up. The moon is 250,000 miles up. I guess the difference is just a zero. Really, nothing at all! :)

Using their proper motion, and their approximate distance in the sky (measured using Stellarium), I got 14,300 years for η Ser, and 12,900 for ε Sco, both in the future, which would be consistent with Antares going supernova, and is now only very faint.
Well I have dome some more calculating and come up with 23/4/13996

(Apparently I can handle him being mauled by a raptorcat, but lonely spans under the vast sky are just too much.)

To anyone who wasn't included: feel free to remove my name from it and replace it with your own.

BlitzGirl and Taixzo

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Astronomy
We either have to fit the rest of time to that, or we have to find the explanation for why it doesn't fit.

MYQM

Also, the Cueball smiley looks somewhat like an unselected radio button on some platforms, and someone should make a radio button which turns into Megan when selected (and LaPetite when indeterminate?) for those operating systems! where GUI consistency is frowned upon and reinventing such wheels is the norm.

I think any comic duo could be put in their place with downright hilarious results.

Prediction
The stars are pretty and all, but I hope the sun rises soon. I preferred it when Cuegan's comas lasted just a few newpix, not 34+.

wowtreeful world

sky put together

you expected...

Detail has subtly but constantly been increasing...

964: I want to use this topic. Anyone care to give me a brief idea of the culture that has developed here?

So, even though I feel like almost all my posts are "Wow, you guys are so cool!", this post is going to pretty much say "Wow, you guys are so cool!
Yay, Time fanart

My internal monologue has been referring to it as Newpixia for some reason.

Oh no. :shock: That's what happens when you ING when you should have ONGed!

Boldligo ?
Bold-lee-go-nigh-A

What we need to do is cycle through the millenia looking at Sagittarius until the celestial equator aligns with the straight line coming from the upper left corner. Then cycle through the months until the sun is in Lybra

The addition of light and shade (where previously they existed but we could only hear about them from Cueball and Megan) is the newest artistic addition. What's next, the 3rd dimension? Colour? Faces?

Aotc, Scene 14
It's easy to see how people get religious ideas about reality when we can't even keep a few facts about a short story straight.

start rail update
Can we pretty please change astronomy to make this not take place in 13000? Are there really no other options? Like, any? I just wanted it to be closer to now. :(
Since I don't understand any of the hard work going on, I'm choosing to ignore it all. (opcjonalnie:!!!!)As far as I'm concerned, it's all taking place in the near future so that when it ends inside time = outside time

Well, it makes a lot of sense, since it will be my 11,333rd birthday, too, of course.

Uh, any chance you could restate that with a bit more heresy?

at that far in the future the stars positions are predictable, but the planets are subject to complete chaos.

npx2434,71(!): A comet would be nice. 13291 is almost exactly 150 Halley's orbits from now: 1986 + 75.3 * 150 = 1328

HES is against the future.

Big spoiler of Rule110.

I'll be happy when the Long Night is finally over.
BTW, I'm definitely nerd-snipped too. But that's been true since I started on the map, so now I'm used to it :)
We could try astrological speculation instead.
For instance, it looks like Venus will soon be moving into Scorpio. Randall's trying to tell us there are sexy times ahead for Megan and Cueball!

Something else about a far future time. We haven't seen ruins. Abandoned things, but not ruins.

Exactly, this comic is a little too fast paced sometimes. ;)

The Long Night really seems to be much longer when reading the past pages!

Hmm, maybe this would please you...

THE METEOR FRAME!
Is newpixbot rogue-ONGing?

Yes, but after my premature (but prescient) "discovery" of a star that turned out to be dust on my monitor, I had to check it wasn't cat hair.
Did anyone catch any of the other frames? They went by so fast!
But it's a shame we missed the whole animation. I doubt any of the bots are set to check for newpixes so fast.
Why didn't Cueball warn us? He's on watch!
For frame numbering, I think I'll number those 2440a, 2440b, 2440c, 2440d, 2440e.
Wouldn't it overload Randall's server? Well, he definitely deserves it after what he just did to us. :D

Celestial Sphere (Starry Starry Night)
happy molpy!
I hid my momacy in the spoiler because it certainly is redundant. No decrees.

Neat[OTTcliche] Time to get paranoid and everyone madly searching their browser caches for potentially hundreds of lost frames!
And the worst thing is, now that the suspicion has been raised, we will NEVER know. No matter how long we {{wait for it}} Wow.[OTTcliche]

Megan and Cue!

So, sudden meteor appearance... did the baby kick? :P
So that explains why the white pixels are on top. The heavier black pixels sink to the bottom of the frame!
More fanart- turned out a bit darker than anticipated, hope y'all can see it...

setting
Molpy, Molpy, There You Are

...and Geekwagon seems to have missed the meteor completely
By now, "Redundant Spoiler" is just an euphemism for "CLICK ME, YOU MIGHT MISS SOMETHING!".

( )

Spoiler:

I'm glad I'm not some character in a story with BlitzGirl!
The stars are chirping!
Chocolate is spilled.
mustard (enhanced)

978: newpage of chirps.

PAGE 978 - BLITZING MODE CHANGE

Personally, I find the random chirping far less difficult to read than the footnotes that have entirely replaced words. Sorry, but my memory just isn't that good. So I'm left replacing every unworded footnote with "neat".
I don't remember the footnotes. 1 was big , ok. But the rest? I have to look up.

979 the newpage of no chirps

There definitely needs to be an OTT Meta Thread. The OTTMT.
raptorcats!
A redundakitty flamewar???
GLR violates decree.

chirp a vulgar word!

Also, why are there so many posts? It's a Sunday! I expected to be able to relax like last wipend, not to have to ketchup every few hours if I forgot to check the OTT!

motion blur
taixaovatar

stars, stars

So by lurking I help preserve Time? Excell... Oops.

trio of stickfigures were clanned together, sat down on the smooth sand ...
That doesn't change the fact that Lucky is legally obliged to wash it's hands before attacking, and thus it can expect a hefty fine.

prediction
Wake Up Little Cuesie
(It's disturbing how Cuegan can have an entire conversation using monosyllabic words.)

BlitzGirl draws kitty
future cuegan
Also here is an example of Cueball's head spinning around constantly

Making Molpies!

Niclep dreamed of people reading about his adventures.

Final animation
GLR finally fixed the mustardc.

Time for ...
tdf
np 1000
I went Outside for 1/3 newpix to mow the back yard, and I miss the entire 1000th page! Rats.
np1002: OTTers first times of OTC.
Boom de Yada!
This was the Blitzreport 26. I'm on 1003 now.
AluisioASG wrote:
ATTENTION TIME TRAVELERS (BLITZERS, KETCHUPERS, MAYOS ET AL.)

Spoiler:

This is a post from the Time Foundation. Once you reach this post, please report to the Future Present that you've reached Beacon Alpha.

Hi OTTers! I'm at the first beacon! The blitzphone signal is very good here. This is my blitzreport for you. See you at next beacon

AluisioASG wrote:Additionally, we offer a free train service between all Stations.
Yes! Exactly what I needed!

(Do we have a list of where all the beacons are?)

Redundant:
Spoiler:
awakefinally.png
awakefinally.png (7.77 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
hey.png
hey.png (2.71 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:56 pm UTC

Ooh, nice, balthasar!
It's sad about all the images that are gone, no? I've been in the past pages myself for a couple of days, and I've been surprised by how many pics are gone. Sure, I bunch of them are cakes, and I can use my imagination, but many are broken OTTer-owned links, which just goes to show how hard it is to have forever on the internet. I was really glad that Rule110's awesomeful astronomy lesson is still intact.

Oh, I didn't notice 1400 - thanks June Bug!

ETA:
Beauty, triUNGphant for the moment:

Where is every one today?
Agatha the Awesomeful

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:13 am UTC

I'd like to say I'm here but that would only be half-true...
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

thunk

1190: "Time": SO I HERD U LIEK REDUNDANCY

Postby thunk » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:29 am UTC

I actually have some Outside stuff to do today, for the first time in over a wip.

And I think I'm getting bored blitzing, and so doing more outside things. And I'm not even done yet!

(watch out for long pints!)

And part of my brain has slipped back into hypochondria mode. I better figure a way out soon, or the next two mips will be a living hell.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

HES

Re: 1190: "Time": SO I HERD U LIEK REDUNDANCY

Postby HES » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:17 am UTC

thunk wrote:And I think I'm getting bored blitzing

Heresy! Fetch the chocolate!
He/Him/His Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”