1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:25 am UTC

Hi thunk! Hi HES!

I started writing this just after you posted Gingercat, but then there was crying, and I'm just getting back to my sand now.
Gingercat wrote:I'd like to say I'm here but that would only be half-true...
Then I'll just talk to the outside of the box with optimism. :)
I've had Temple of Low Men playing in my car recently - that is one fine album! (Heehee, I just had to correct a typo, because my e key doesn't work very well "that is one fin album" - yeah, that too.) I'm not crazy about Kill Eye, nor do I really understand it, but the rest of the songs get me singing along.

I may have mentioned before that I Feel Possessed and In the Lowlands are big favourites, and I often make them repeat a few times before I let the CD player go to the next track. Sadly, there's a scratch that messes up the second half of Better Be Home Soon - I remember singing that one to myself more than a few times after a break-up I had over a decade ago. (He came home in the end, but I can't say that it was "soon" so I guess the threat was empty.) Love this Life - that's kinda the core tenet of Crowded House, eh?

And, sorry if this is a dim question, but Never Be the Same is about domestic violence, yes? - Neil's less depressing version of Tim's Charlie? I'm not generally into songs that are downers, but I like singing along with them both (Charlie, even moreso) because they're so pretty.

ETA: Pope? Really? Okay, explain this to me:

Why did the GLR have Rosetta ask for Cuegan's bags?

Easy reference here at the wiki dialogue page - 2879-2885
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2150

Postby mscha » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

MRIDUNGAM...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by DrSamCarter.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:TAWK AMONGST YOA-XELVES. I'LL GIVE YOO A TOAPIC... THE OTTISH KEYBOARD-SMASHING CHRONOTRANSPONDER WAS NEITHER OTTISH NOR KEYBOARD-SMASHING NOR A CHRONOTRANSPONDER. DISCUSS.

-- posted by oldpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:07 pm UTC

New OtherComic.

For decree:
Spoiler:
To have her bring them to the other side.
Spoiler:
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:37 pm UTC

Ch*rp those basement stairs are slippery! Time for some of that Heinz stuff... you know, the stuff you have to wait for. 'fraid this will be an ironicly quick one though. Hardly a long pint.

And first thing I see is a new heuristically_alone! Welcome! (Well, actually I don't know if xe's new or old, but new here anyway. :) )

thunk wrote:Sadly, Time-Tracking Software doesn't have much to do with Time. Randammit!
Depends what you do with your Time, nest paw? In your case I think you're already running the wetware version. It may not be as "ooh shiny" as the latest iThing, but it's Time tested.

Treeish OTTivity OTTy svenman! (Kitties too!)

And welcome SomeGuyNamedDavid! Two at a clip - it's an OTTerfall!

balhasar_s wrote:I mustarded my computer for 3 weeks...
Amazing story. I never cease to be amazed at your sandcraftiness. Best I've done is, after installing an 8 bit memory board into a 16 bit computer, configured it as a hard drive, and then put the windows swap file on it (because if I simply let Windows manage memory, it would not know or care that the 8 bit memory is so much slower). So, I had memory acting like a hard drive acting like memory. I think I posted details (way) upthread.

My mustard story: We needed to build a temporary extension for a stage. This is fairly simple woodwork: lay out 2x4s, brace them, cut plywood to fit on top, add legs. The extension was to be in the shape of a flat isosceles triangle, about eighteen or so feet wide and from 1/2 to 2 feet deep. So, it couldn't be cut from a single 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. And the legs were close together at the ends, so it was a little bit tricky to drill for the screws. But, overall, no big deal. I've done this many times before, and the person I was working with was a professional building contractor. However, it was not a good day, unless you were a mustard salesman. It was some years ago, so I don't remember the details, but between the two of us this was the absolute worst piece of woodworking ever made. It was warped, the straight cuts were so far from straight that you could fall into the basement in the gap they made, it wobbled, none of the legs went on right, it ended up being the wrong size, it used all of our C-clamps to keep it attached to the main stage, and we were glad that it was only going to be used for that one show and then discarded with prejudice.

Alas, every director since then wanted the stage extension.

The theater in question has since closed down and the dumpster was engorged with its detritus. I don't think that had anything to do with it, but at least that mustardy secret died with the theater.

"We shall never speak of this again."

I've also got a telephone ringer I built that was stillborn. Too bad; it would have been treeish had it been steakish, but now it's just mustard looking for a hotdog.

But on your end, yay PCB STAF!

svenman wrote:Edit: Whoa, poped. Decree: Tell us about mustard that you can look back on and laugh about.
I guess I retrofulfilled the decree there. So much timey-wimey!

balthasar_s wrote:In BFTF, in most of the frames I don't draw arms. Unless I have to.
Yeah, I noticed that. I guess without arms, it's harder to destroy clocks. :)

ChronosDragon! Molpish to see you passing through!

ChronosDragon wrote:I've got a backlog of words in my head which want for a meaningful subject.
Meaningfulness is overrated.

ggh wrote:...reminded me to mention this paper, which was brought to my attention a few weeks ago: On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit.
Glad to see beef byproducts get their due!

ggh wrote:Then, today I discovered there is a thing called a carpet beetle.
"Isn't it good, Norwegian carpet!"

I guess that's why they never made a hit record.

macraw83 wrote:I've also decided to resume my Blitz, and abstain from the SchizoBlitz
Uh oh... beware of the Long Pint! But I guess you know that already!

thunk wrote:I ottified the 42 Negative Precepts
Pardon me father for I have sinned. I am prepared to receive my chocolate. Oh, and I loved "We Blitzers". And oilslick is wingish.

Keep on coming, Rakhal! We're all eagerly following the first commandment!

Treeish "Active Otter" OTTy mscha!

mrob27 wrote:They also come in wasabi flavour
Just don't mistake wasabi for guacamole. That's mustard!

ggh wrote:BlitzGirl - heehee! Has it been s oolong since the days of the teabag puns that you've recovered from the constant comment and once again realized how assam wordplay is?
I think if you steep her in puns like that, you'll be in hot water.

Hi azule! Welcome back from the basement-you-thought-you-were-in! (And I think I'm going to substitute ~ for ! because that's what I keep hitting).

Febrion wrote:-------------------------------------------------------HIJACKED DECREE---------------------------------------------------------
Worship me!

Our transistor, sent from heaven
Febrion is thy name.
In kinship come; by posting give us mirth
for the OTT is heaven.
Give us this day our One True Thread
and forgive our heresies as we emit chocolate upon those who heres against us.
And lead us not into saturation
But deliver us from breakdown voltage
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, the potential, the glory, and all the amps you can eat,
For a hundered years, and for a hundred centuries,
Yea, even unto a thousand lifetimes.
Resistance is futile.
Amen.

I want to say how much I enjoy seeing all the ottifications, and the past-ottcolored. So wingish! There are some I don't remember seeing before; it could be my CRS, but it could also be time travel. In any case, brings me smiles. I've noticed that (but haven't statistically investigated whether) the otties peaked after the voldeframe, and have dropped off. I'd wondered about that, and have concluded that in the Age of the Ice Cream, people were quite concerned that the thread might die and we'd lose this home. The creOTTivity it sparked was a way to avoid that fate. But at this point, I think we're pretty confident that the OTT will not end, and we've got backups of backups in case the xkcd version does, so we're more relaxed about things. And, in the yips since the Voldeframe, we've been blessed with many opportunities to Wait For It.

I think this also extends to the anxiety blitzers may encounter in the Time when the future was unknown. (aka the "past").

"Good always wins, 'cuz good is nice."

mrob27 wrote:XUY PAGE
No blitzrocket option? Also, the -V option seems rather dangerous. Does blintz take the -V option? I suppose that would be even more mustard-inducing!

:)

SBN wrote:And wish me luck, I think I found the house I want. (Just hoping too many other people don't also want it.)
Molpish wishes here. Just start a rumor that the house is built of sand. Anybody who still wants it must be an OTTer, and that'd be cool.

addams wrote:My BackPack has some kind of white mold or ... what else could it be??
I think it is mold. (ok. ok. it might not be That bad.)

Is it ruined?
Does it matter?
Yes, it matters... it's your backpack! But I bet it's not ruined - just needs a good washing. Backpacks don't get washed very often.

But I'll give your backpack my father's incantation from every time I was sick:

"Sana te, sana - colita de rana.
Si no sana hoy, te sana mañana!"

It means "be cured, be cured, tail of a frog.
If you're not well today, you'll be well tomorrow."

I wonder if frogs have an affinity for backpacks.

balthasar_s wrote:The number of STAFs is increasing.
If the number of staffs are increasing, either it's a bureaucracy or a sheep herders' convention. Or, a convocation of the gods.

Actually, I think that's what's happening.

ggh wrote:
Febrion wrote:-----------------------HIJACKED DECREE------------------------
Worship me!

Awesomeful! And on that image, I'll pause and blindpost.

More to come. You know what to do.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

thunk

SilentTimer, Molpishness, and Number 45

Postby thunk » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:29 am UTC

...and that's how Bagshot was yappocised.

1939/2495 pages read (77.72%)
53.77 dips taken

Spoiler:
As usual, there was some stuff that happened.

In the SilentONGs, we begin as Cueganzzle journey to save Zombeanie's notebooks, carrying the Questionable Carcass with them. They find a seven-legged woolpy, obviously mutated from the surfeit of radionuclides liberated from the Bluecave by the actions of wind and water. Definitely unmolpish.
Though from watching films on, and being near some, of the blueenhanced areas of Belarus, they have more problems with the political situation than with the blue. Maybe it's different for the Beanies?

Whatever it is, Megball find the bluelake. They can't know what it is--too much has been lost--but they know it's bad news. And they know they must go Cave to figure out what to do, and to hopefully save the others from a grim fate.

oh, and by the way, Frizzle is getting pretty good at Unglish--no smudging! Though her vocabulary needs some help.
And all this as SilentTimer is depleting hir frame buffer.

mrob releases and develops qo4b, the second major hotdog of the OTT. It is also the one that brought me back here, long after Time had ended. I can't remember how I found it---maybe the OTW? Maybe the number stuff? But that's how TimeAfterTime was won.

In fact, I'm still praying when I'm not blitzing or working. I got to the raftcastle by furious button mashing. Then I lost it. Ah well.

the OTC gets its Hugo nomination, finally. Though the Sad Puppies managed to ch*rp it for everyone the following yip. Randamned manosphere...

Woolpy counting is fun. I first encountered it in Conway's (the mathematician, not the dinosaur artist) Book of Numbers.

You're right, much of the OTT is best read in a weird kind of half-coma state.

Though I prefer being awake. It's hard enough to make sense of these posts while acoma...

Dracomax has a tpyo in his sig. I finally notice. And the typo papal decre is discussed later.

Though I think realistically it's a bizarre weather phenomenon called a "scene transition".

Randammit again! I could probably write a treatise on OTC weather at this point...

Laura's water heater breaks. She is left without hot water for a few dips. That sucks.
In Belarus and Russia, hot water is centrally distributed. In the summer, for about a mip, the pipes are shut off for maintenance.
The result is that showers begin by heating 20 liters of water on the stove, and then being careful while washing. Those were unmolpish dips.

Then, the bagiversary! Or Bagpocalypse 2: Electric Bagaloo (as Ling, I think, mentioned.)

Yappo manages to download himself...and we all promptly forget about the duplicate otter. Whoops!

The OTT engages in a primordial round of adding lasers to paleoart.
(Naturally, this involved John Conway (the artist, not the mathematician) shooting lasers as well.)

azule, et al.: don't judge people's mammary choices until you grow a pair yourself. :lol:

Morris Dancing happens again. This is something I wouldn't have learned save for the OTT.

BlitzGirl wrote:World War II, arguably the most terrible of all flamewars, began.

Indeed. Approximately half of my great-grandparents' generation died during it, either as conscripts or civilians.
While they were stopped before they could enact the Hungerplan, it was not before they carried out numerous campaigns of mass murder in the Holocaust.
May the lessons learned never be forgotten.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:11 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

I think that guy used to work at my WFFS, because I inherited some code like that.
When I get asked why things are the way they are, my answer is his name. Just that. (Which is extra amusing, because his name is actually a number.)
Not 42 though. That would be funny, but also confusing.

For decree, I think it was symbolic of "you'll stay with us now"

ucim wrote:
SBN wrote:And wish me luck, I think I found the house I want. (Just hoping too many other people don't also want it.)
Molpish wishes here. Just start a rumor that the house is built of sand. Anybody who still wants it must be an OTTer, and that'd be cool.

MSWFP didn't like that one, and I didn't like the next two, but todip we went to one we both like, except for one thing. It has a pool, which is good, but it is vinyl, which would not last long with wolpies in it. So now we're trying to find out how much it is to make the pool not be vinyl. Then we'll see where we stand, and if we're trying to get this one, or going to keep looking.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mrob27

1190: "Time": I HAVE THE MOLPIEST ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО RIGHT NOW.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:56 am UTC

Thanks for all the replies about the Zanclean Zodiac! I forgot to say I have Chrome (v42) on MacOS (10.6 "Snow Leopard"). More importantly, I forgot to try Firefox (v35) and in that browser it works!

⪦ ⩤ ⫷ Zanclean Zodiac Autoframes ⫸ ⩥ ⪧

Here I identify the auto-generated frames of Zanclean Zodiac. These are generated by JavaScript using a "canvas". It starts with a stars-only image like 2434.png, then superimposes silhouettes of ground and/or trees and of Cuegan, and also sometimes adds brighter stars and/or connecting lines/curves.
  Instructions: Go here; scroll to the bottom to view the image that appears on the right side of the text starting with the words The story goes that ᓭᐧᘈᖉᕋ was simply gathering nuts.; press and hold the (left) "control" key, and while still holding the control key, repeatedly press the right-arrow key.
  Description of each frame:
  (Numbering: "frame 27" is what you see after pressing control-right-arrow 27 times)
  (first frame name e.g. "zodiac-0027-1b.png" refers to the files that are in the ZIP file attached to this post)
  (second name e.g. "2434.png" is the image at a URL like xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/2434.png)
  (I use some special Unicode characters here, you might not see some of them. Sorry.

frame 00: zodiac-0000.png (2407.png) (Cuegan on ridge, Wowtree trunk at far right)
frame 01: zodiac-0001.png (2408.png) (Cuegan have walked down the little hill)
frame 02: zodiac-0002.png (2409.png) (Cuegan next to small tree)
frame 03: zodiac-0003.png (2410.png) (Cuegan between small tree and Wowtree trunk)
frame 04: zodiac-0004.png (2411.png) (Cuegan have stopped in front of the Wowtree trunk)
frame 05: zodiac-0005.png (2412.png) (Cueball says "There are those strange markings.")
frame 06: zodiac-0006.png (2413.png) (Megan says "I bet ᘝᘈᘖ could help figure it out!")
frame 07: zodiac-0007.png (2414.png) (Cuegan have walked out-of-frame right)
frame 08: zodiac-0008.png (2415.png)
frame 09: zodiac-0009.png (2416.png) (3 stars upper-left)
frame 10: zodiac-0010-0a.png (2417.png) ("whale fin" shape)
frame 11: zodiac-0011-0b.png? (2418.png) (4 stars centre-left)
frame 12: zodiac-0012-0c.png (2419.png) (9 stars connected with "ᒉ⁀ᒋ" lines)
frame 13: zodiac-0013-0d.png (2420.png) (the 9 "ᒉ⁀ᒋ" stars now in centre)
frame 14: zodiac-0014-0e.png (2421.png) (9 stars connected with "⁀⁀" or "bird" shape)
frame 15: zodiac-0015-0f.png (2422.png) (the 3 "⁀⁀" stars now in centre)
frame 16: zodiac-0016-10.png (2423.png) (6 stars connected with ")Ↄ" lines)
frame 17: zodiac-0017-11.png (2424.png) (the 6 ")Ↄ" stars in centre-bottom; 7 new stars in upper-left)
frame 18: zodiac-0018-12.png (2425.png) (11 stars connected with dotted lines shaped like "♈" but with extra loops)
frame 19: zodiac-0019-13.png (2426.png) (10 of the "♈" stars in centre-bottom; 7 new stars in upper-left)
frame 20: zodiac-0020-14.png (2427.png) (8 stars connected with two half-ellipse arcs "ᓕ" and "ᓓ")
frame 21: zodiac-0021-15.png (2428.png) (the "ᓕ" and "ᓓ" stars now in centre-bottom)
frame 22: zodiac-0022-16.png (2429.png) (6 stars in upper-left-centre connected with a single curved line like a rotated "ζ")
frame 23: zodiac-0023-17.png? (2430.png) (the 6 "ζ" stars now in centre-bottom)
frame 24: zodiac-0024-18.png (2431.png) (3 stars plus at least 1 below horizon connected by a nearly straight "╱" line)
frame 25: zodiac-0025-19.png (2432.png) (silhouette of "SNAKE!" terrain and 5 stars in Cassiopeia pattern)
frame 26: zodiac-0026-1a.png (2433.png) (4 new stars in upper-left)
frame 27: zodiac-0027-1b.png (2434.png) (5 more stars to make 9, connected by zig-zag "|╲|╲╱|╱|")
frame 28: zodiac-0028-1c.png (2435.png) (the 9 "|╲|╲╱|╱|" stars now in centre)
frame 29: zodiac-0029-1d.png (2436.png) (3 stars connected by sideways curly bracket "︷")
frame 30: zodiac-0030-1e.png (2437.png)
frame 31: zodiac-0031-1f.png (2438.png) (5 stars connected by a "╱" that crosses a "ᐱ")
frame 32: zodiac-0032-20.png (2439.png) (the 5 "╱" and "ᐱ" stars now in centre-bottom)
If you press control-right-arrow again, it will be "stuck" on frame 32. When this happens use the browser's "reload" command to return to frame 00)

balthasar_s wrote:The frames don't have URLs.

I guess that's because they're drawn on a "canvas" by Javascript. Interesting. If I use the Firefox command Tools > Web Developer > Inspector, then select the "Network" tab and reload, I can see it loading images like 2407.png, 2408.png, etc. every time I hit control-right-arrow. It also loads silhouette images:
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/1503-1510c.png,
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f00.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f01.png
   (f02 through f08)
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f09.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/2612-2614c.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f0b.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/c1014.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f0d.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l0e.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f0f.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l10.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f11.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l12.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f13.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l14.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f15.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l16.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f17.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l18.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l19.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f1a.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l1b.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f1c.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l1d.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f1e.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l1f.png
  xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/f20.png
When you hit control-right-arrow the 33rd time, it attempts to load an image from xkcd.modularthought.com/zancleanzodiac/img/l21.png, and gets an error. Perhaps this is why control-arrows don't work after that. (21 is hexadecimal for 33).

I'll do some more Imagey bits later…

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:40 am UTC

blindpost (thanks notifier!):
SBN wrote:MSWFP didn't like that one, and I didn't like the next two, but todip we went to one we both like, except for one thing. It has a pool, which is good, but it is vinyl, which would not last long with wolpies in it. So now we're trying to find out how much it is to make the pool not be vinyl. Then we'll see where we stand, and if we're trying to get this one, or going to keep looking.
Well, you can also install a guard around the edge of the pool to protect the vinyl from claws. This, while probably a custom job (it's an idea I just came up with, not a standard pool accessory) will be much cheaper than draining the pool, removing the liner, and relining with gunnite and/or tile. The guard will probably be a maintenance item, but probably not a big deal. You might also stop by a boat store for ideas; I suspect boaters are better at improvising than pool installers.

In any case, there is probably a good solution that doesn't cost much, but lets you keep the vinyl.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:43 am UTC

ucim wrote:blindpost (thanks notifier!):
SBN wrote:MSWFP didn't like that one, and I didn't like the next two, but todip we went to one we both like, except for one thing. It has a pool, which is good, but it is vinyl, which would not last long with wolpies in it. So now we're trying to find out how much it is to make the pool not be vinyl. Then we'll see where we stand, and if we're trying to get this one, or going to keep looking.
Well, you can also install a guard around the edge of the pool to protect the vinyl from claws. This, while probably a custom job (it's an idea I just came up with, not a standard pool accessory) will be much cheaper than draining the pool, removing the liner, and relining with gunnite and/or tile. The guard will probably be a maintenance item, but probably not a big deal. You might also stop by a boat store for ideas; I suspect boaters are better at improvising than pool installers.

In any case, there is probably a good solution that doesn't cost much, but lets you keep the vinyl.

Jose

I don't think it is just the edges we need to worry about, but we'll investigate our options, and figure out if we try for this house or keep looking.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

Ha! Did you just make my post for me in that second spoiler, Zooman?
I used to know a guy who used to say "you're welcome" immediately after sneezing to skip to the end of the conventional exchange that a sneeze might trigger. It really confused folks the first time or two they'd experience it - you hear a sneeze, you instinctively open your mouth and... there's nothing to say.

The only other thing I remember about that fellow was that he drank a bit of my coffee once. I used to stay up late when I was at university. Like 3 days late. (I could do a week when I was in high school, but I'd hallucinate a bit.) I didn't see the point of staying awake if you had to spend all the gained time visiting the toilet, so I made my coffee by adding water to instant coffee until it started behaving enough like a liquid that I wouldn't need a spoon. I can't remember why he wanted a sip of my coffee, but watching his face was a worthwhile experience.

The older I got, the less I could go without sleep. At work here in New Zealand I've pulled more all-nighters than I can shake a stick at, but I was always in pretty rough shape the next day, even after applying many energy drinks.

Yay! Jose!

So I enjoyed your tale, but, like, did that mean that you had to go out and buy more C-clamps?

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Then, today I discovered there is a thing called a carpet beetle.
"Isn't it good, Norwegian carpet!"

I guess that's why they never made a hit record.
I think they could've done okay if the little ch*rpers didn't always have their mouths full:
"I don't care too much for money - money can't buy me rug!"
"Come together - right now - over tweed"
"Eating warp and weftdom - let us be"
"Na na na na-na-na-naa, Na-na-na-naa, hey, chewed "

ucim wrote:Our transistor, sent from heaven
Febrion is thy name.
In kinship come; by posting give us mirth
for the OTT is heaven.
Give us this day our One True Thread
and forgive our heresies as we emit chocolate upon those who heres against us.
And lead us not into saturation
But deliver us from breakdown voltage
For thine is the kingdom,
The power, the potential, the glory, and all the amps you can eat,
For a hundered years, and for a hundred centuries,
Yea, even unto a thousand lifetimes.
Resistance is futile.
Amen.
Great! Now if we could only get that amplified....

That sure was a wingish OTColoured by DrSamCarter! I may have CRS too.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mrob27

1190: "Time": HEADBAND_S, KETCHUP THE RIBBITS… WITH YOUR ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО!

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

@svenman: I guess I was being a bit extreme, I apologise!
  It was probably my reaction to the overall-awkward metre of the various verses on that newpage, and more importantly, I didn't realise everyone was desperately trying to impose @jjjdavidson's rule #6 upon this new double-anapest form. Why not do as @jjjdavidson explicitly suggested:

[…] it's perfectly reasonable that we should use our own
 fresh-minted six-syllable words for the purpose, rather than relying
 on standard English.

For that matter, why do we even need rule 6? It's a new poetic form, we can define it however the ch*rp we wish. If writing "double-trochee" verse would there need to be a line made up of a single 4-syllable word? What about an eight-syllable word for iambic tetrameter?

ggh wrote:I've totally forgotten: can you attach stuff to PMs?

I couldn't do it last yip, and apparently it still isn't allowed. (I mean for normal users like us. It was true at one point that some users could use the flash tag, because I found a post with such a tag. Perhaps mods have such permission).
  During the OTTscars, @BlitzGirl attached attachments to a post that was hidden in some obscure place, and then PMd @Yappobiscuits with a link to wherever the attachment was. If you want it to be private, perhaps you could use an encrypted/password-protected archive, or share it on some other non-xkcd-related file-sharing service, or both.

ggh wrote:She was a pretty good birder, but then, at 50, they diagnosed her with terminal melanoma, and she said chirp it and went out and became an awesomeful birder - like the first to see over 8000 different species.

I paused several moments to consider how many more ch*rps could be worked into that sentence. I think I got it up to about ten and decided that was a ch*rping ch*rp of a lot. What's the proper OTTification of "birder" — "chirper" or "chirpyer" (which sounds like the comparative "chirpier")? In Phoebe Snetsinger's case the title really ought to be "ch*rping ch*rpiest ch*rper".

ucim wrote:Just don't mistake wasabi for guacamole. That's mustard!

Perhaps you'd prefer the pistachio ice cream?
  Wonderful @Febrion's Prayer!
No blitzrocket option? […]

The -V option is somewhat unpredictable. Perhaps it's V for "variable" or "volatile". I kept wanting to add options (I didn't list or any of the numbered options) but had to stop when the resulting image was about as tall as my screen (and the original xkcd upon which it was based).

thunk wrote:mrob releases and develops qo4b, the second major hotdog of the OTT. It is also the one that brought me back here, long after Time had ended. I can't remember how I found it—-maybe the OTW? Maybe the number stuff? But that's how TimeAfterTime was won.

Whoa, that's molpish! (unless, you know… addiction.) Perhaps you learned of Q04B from the IGN article (which linked to it from the line Members made fan art, parodies, and games, including a notable Time-flavored take on 2048.). I still have a bunch of boosts to add to that game. I did all the calibration and auto-playtesting up to 428,000,000 points, but just haven't bothered to add the triggers and user interface. Alas…

mrob27 Image

(My favourite scene)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2172

Postby mscha » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

SUNGRAIL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by mscha.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IF WE HAVE SACRIFICED YOU FOR SOME SKITCHERTS, PLEASE CONFIRM THAT WE GOT ALL SKITCHERTS WE OTTIFY, OR CONFIRM TO US THAT YOU WON'T USE OUR TURTLEMOLPY WE OTTIFY THE SKITCHERTS FOR.

-- posted by oldpixbot

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

Hey look, you can see 3W,J 34'6 from there!
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

balthasar_s

Attachmenpms

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:17 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I couldn't do it last yip, and apparently it still isn't allowed. (I mean for normal users like us. It was true at one point that some users could use the flash tag, because I found a post with such a tag. Perhaps mods have such permission).
I don't think it's just about permission.
The attachments are being post attachments and that's an important part of their nature.
Go to the attachment management page and you'll see that each attachment is bound (forever) with with a post.
PM attachments if existed would be a different thing. But then the management page would be called differently, right?
Do we know any forums (phpBB, not something else) where PM attachments are real things?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

1190: "Time": I PUT ON MY ЯОЯЯІМ ТТО AND ʙOTTᴇʀɪᴀᴅᴀ HAT

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:31 pm UTC

Yeah, that sounds right, @balthasar_s.

BTW, I'm wearing my bOTTeriada shirt today. It always makes me feel particularly molpish (in a robomolpy sort of way). I also wore it in Osaka a few wips ago.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 am UTC

Hey taixzo, is there anything we could have said or done on the thread that would have saved HammockGirl/ShortBean's life?
Agatha the Awesomeful

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:19 am UTC

Some Ways to Time

thunk

Displaced Kumara is the next VHF track

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:03 am UTC

Ahh, the wipend. Almost makes me want to ONG something. But there aren't any TaT series to ONG. Ah well.

I'm starting to think my blitzpost titles are getting too obscure. I think I'll explain them after I finish.
troo dat

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:30 am UTC

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this is the molpy which was unnoticed since 9.9.2014 and you found it!
Thanks for the hints!

I expected that the molpy would be noticed soon after it was ONGed.
But it was not.
BFTF because of its drawing style and location was not something where you could expect to find molpies. So nobody looked for them, probably.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:48 am UTC

SBN wrote:Have you seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dKy7HNU4vk
Holy Molpy!
No, I hadn't seen that before - incredible!
Both the Little Wonder and I gasped in horror when the picture was destroyed (in that one, and the one that autoplayed right after).
Now we want to play with that stuff.... :)

balthasar_s wrote:I expected that the molpy would be noticed soon after it was ONGed.
But it was not.
BFTF because of its drawing style and location was not something where you could expect to find molpies. So nobody looked for them, probably.
I think it was the combination of the story style (both visually and content-wise) and the panning.
Sorry about that.

Speaking of little mysteries, back when you first mentioned it, I spent some time trying to locate your (ex-)magical bike path on Google maps, but I don't think I was successful. I thought I had figured out which ring road and bridge you were speaking of, but then I didn't get much further - the candidates I saw didn't seem countryish enough. Also I wasn't sure if I was crossing a line of creepiness.
Agatha the Awesomeful

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:51 am UTC

Very treeish!

ggh wrote:Both the Little Wonder and I gasped in horror when the picture was destroyed

Same! Though, I used to do the same with Lego as a child. Get new set > build by instructions > immediately destroy > make something better.
He/Him/His Image

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:23 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this is the molpy which was unnoticed since 9.9.2014 and you found it!
Thanks for the hints!

I expected that the molpy would be noticed soon after it was ONGed.
But it was not.

I did look for them. I looked for differences between BFTF frames. That's more difficult during a pan, but I tried. Now I can't unsee it. No idea why I didn't find it …
Spoiler:
Next Time I'll automate it.
Bots are molpish.
Redundant bots.
Redundant:
Spoiler:
I wanted to take a brief look at that molpy and **ded up Blitzing the whole of BFTF. Randammit. (Or Baltammit?)
thunk wrote:Ahh, the wipend. Almost makes me want to ONG something. But there aren't any TaT series to ONG. Ah well.

But there's a TaT series to THUNGK …
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
And there's the OTCversary:

INTO THE SHEBUNG
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
For decree:
mome ggh wrote:Why did the GLR have Rosetta ask for Cuegan's bags?

Because …
Spoiler:
… they are heavy.

Wait for it.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:35 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:

Because …
Spoiler:
… they are heavy.

Wait for it.
The floor seems like it could hold them just fine. What's the point of this?

Is it like the beanie equivalent of "why don't you have a seat?" to warn us that bad news is coming?
Is it to show that Rosetta means to be a kind and gracious host? Why not just offer a drink or snack then?
Is it there to slow the pacing a bit?
Is there something that the OTA wanted us to see and this was a convenient way to do it?

This bit about the bags bugs me.
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Hey taixzo, is there anything we could have said or done on the thread that would have saved HammockGirl/ShortBean's life?

That is a difficult question to answer. My best answer is: That was the way I planned the plot to go since the beginning.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

thunk

1190: "Time": GOATEE, RELEASE THE HAIKUS!

Postby thunk » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:31 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:

Because …
Spoiler:
… they are heavy.

Wait for it.
The floor seems like it could hold them just fine. What's the point of this?

Is it like the beanie equivalent of "why don't you have a seat?" to warn us that bad news is coming?
Is it to show that Rosetta means to be a kind and gracious host? Why not just offer a drink or snack then?
Is it there to slow the pacing a bit?
Is there something that the OTA wanted us to see and this was a convenient way to do it?

This bit about the bags bugs me.

To prevent them from bolting off into the unknown like so many others? except it didn't work.
troo dat

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 pm UTC

ggh wrote:This bit about the bags bugs me.
About as bad as a bag of bugs bit me.

More ketchup:

addams wrote:The BackPack has been Saved!
Yay!

I have a red backpack I got for nothing; it's done yeoman service. It is just a basic day pack, but has good zippers. I also have two blue daypacks that also had handles like attache cases. A bigger one with seaish zippers I use for flying, and a more riverish one with thinner zippers I used to use for flying. Those are clearly high quality ones (though the thinner zipper had a few issues). The red one has one shoulder strap that is pretty much shot, but it keeps holding on, and we abuse the ch*rp out of it (We'll put two gallons of water in it, or stuff it with cans and coffee when we're shopping when traveling) but it hasn't let go yet. It always looks like it's just about to, but won't.

lmjb1964 wrote:Image
I don't really have anything clever to say about it, sorry.
There's nothing more to say. I do wonder though, that mustard is considered part of ketchup. But as First Cleric so wisely points out, mustard makes the world go round, so... well... I guess that says it all.

And then comes along MistyCat and proves me wrong. Axios!

ggh wrote:...while playing [...] an accordion! It was terrifying...
I play accordion too. I was arrested once while doing so - apparently an accordion is considered a weapon of mass destruction (along with the banjo, bodhran, and bagpipes).

lmjb1964 wrote:Or, alternately, tell about a time you stayed up way too late, and whether it was a good thing or not.
I was a geology student, and took a class in which one of the assignments is to "find the rest of the gold". We're given a (stylized) geological map where there's a vein of gold visible, but there are also three fault lines through it, so you can only see a piece of the vein. Where's the rest of it?

It's a simple problem: by looking at the fault lines, figure out which was the last one to have moved, "unerode" the appropriate side, reverse the fault motion, examine the result. Iterate (3x) until done. It really shouldn't take very much time.

Invariably students leave it until the last minute, even knowing what has happened every year in the past. I did too, of course. So now the thing's due at 8am tomorrow, and it's 10pm tonight.

Locate the last fault.
Unerode one side.
reverse the motion.
Something doesn't look right. Oh... I uneroded the wrong side. M*stard!
Go back, re-erode, unerode the other side
reverse the motion.
Locate the next-to-last fault.
unerode one side
reverse the motion.
Something doesn't look right. Oh... I was right the first time, I just moved the fault the wrong way.
Go back....
iterate (nx) until due.

Nobody ever admits it, but it gets harder and harder the later it gets. Pretty soon you've crossed the line between what is "late at night" and what is "early in the morning" (I declare that to be 6am) and the assignment still isn't done. It's almost done, but ch*rp! Somewhere back there I lined up the wrong lines! Which fault was it? Ok... this isn't so hard. Start again.

This is a story that is told from year to year as a warning to the incoming, and every year it is repeated. This time it would be different.

No, it wouldn't.

mrob27 wrote:Please visit the Zanclean Zodiac page and try "ctrl+[right arrow]".
After scrolling to the bottom (the last image is the canvas) it worked up to 20.
Seamonkey v. 2.38 for linux
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0 SeaMonkey/2.38
Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS

With scripts disabled (by noscript), the images are simply presented one after the other so they can be manually scrolled to... up to 21.png. With scripts enabled, the canvas element draws the first 20 upon ctrl-right-arrow (and can go backwards with ctrl-left-arrow) until the very end, where it can no longer go back or forward, and the top of the image is not shown. (The tops may be missing in all of them; I didn't check - there may be a size mismatch in the canvas).

ggh wrote:Then when we are tucked away and I can read without interruption, the laptop gets turned on....
You should look into some of the reddening programs out there; they reduce the color temperature of your monitor (blue light keeps you awake). For linux, I use redshift. When I activate it, I just go "ahhhhhhhh".

svenman wrote:Prosody nosody...
So true. Sometimes I'll write something and it will read properly either in the "correct" stress pattern for the poem, and equally correctly in the other form. Often this has to do with whether a single one-syllable word at the beginning of the line gets a stress or not, which depends on the words that follow, which the reader doesn't know yet.

Since the "I'd like to" and the "I'm here" are quantum entangled, if you ever figure out whether you'd like to say something or not, you'll either be here, or disappear. I recommend you not try to figure out whether you'd like to say something or not. Just say stuff.

(Isn't that what we do here anyway? :) )

thunk wrote:And I think I'm getting bored blitzing
There are many ways to Time. And lots of chocolate for heresy. :)

"Chocolate for heresy" follows the same stress pattern as "cuckoo for CocoPuffs". I'll leave it to you folk to figure out if there is any significance to this.

ggh wrote:So I enjoyed your tale, but, like, did that mean that you had to go out and buy more C-clamps?
Well, we did get two that were more C-ish. 6 inch instead of four.

ggh wrote:I think they could've done okay if the little ch*rpers didn't always have their mouths full
Maybe they just loved the thread.

mrob27 wrote:The -V option is somewhat unpredictable.
V for Velociraptor.

Whoa is that wingish!

And now, back in the present.

Jose

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Then I'll just talk to the outside of the box with optimism. :)

Optimism is good. It tends to flip the box's internals back into "this" facet of the multiverse for a while.

I've had Temple of Low Men playing in my car recently - that is one fine album! (Heehee, I just had to correct a typo, because my e key doesn't work very well "that is one fin album" - yeah, that too.) I'm not crazy about Kill Eye, nor do I really understand it, but the rest of the songs get me singing along.

Yeah, Kill Eye doesn't really appeal to me either; I'm not entirely sure what it's referring to, and the singing style is... too aggressive? for their usual feel.

I may have mentioned before that I Feel Possessed and In the Lowlands are big favourites, and I often make them repeat a few times before I let the CD player go to the next track. Sadly, there's a scratch that messes up the second half of Better Be Home Soon - I remember singing that one to myself more than a few times after a break-up I had over a decade ago. (He came home in the end, but I can't say that it was "soon" so I guess the threat was empty.) Love this Life - that's kinda the core tenet of Crowded House, eh?

In The Lowlands is such a cheerful, catchy tune!

Love This Life seems (to me) to be an appeal to someone else to love the life they have; maybe the song's subject is suffering from depression? (Something I certainly know about too.)

And, sorry if this is a dim question, but Never Be the Same is about domestic violence, yes? - Neil's less depressing version of Tim's Charlie? I'm not generally into songs that are downers, but I like singing along with them both (Charlie, even moreso) because they're so pretty.

Although I've never personally put much thought into this particular song, you've just given me a topic for some serious consideration. Domestic violence almost feels like a shoehorn for this song, rather than the intended message; it seems (to me) to be more of a criticism of someone for a sudden turn into a meaner version of themselves (they need to "rise up through the maze" and "change [their] life" to get back to the person they were, as they're currently lost. Maybe due to falling in with drugs?) - This change is causing them to be suddenly and unusually awful to someone they love.

Mansion In The Slums is another quite interesting song/statement by Neil, in my opinion - "I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills / Than a mansion in the slums". What are your thoughts on that particular one, ggh? As well as Hole In The River. (Before I possibly color your opinion by providing my own, I'd like to hear your thoughts on these ones and definitely others as well!)

And have you heard some of CH's newer ones, such as Walked Her Way Down, or maybe Transit Lounge?

[Everyone else, please feel free to join in the discussion if you're a Crowded House fan as well! I love this band.]
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Re: "Time": It's Jose replies all the way down!

Postby ggh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 am UTC

Part one of today's ketchup is ucimful. Part two will commence when Sesame Street goes on.

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:This bit about the bags bugs me.
About as bad as a bag of bugs bit me.
Not so fast, Mr. AotC! From the perspective of a storyteller, what made the GLR take the Time to draw those frames?

ucim wrote:
I play accordion too. I was arrested once while doing so - apparently an accordion is considered a weapon of mass destruction (along with the banjo, bodhran, and bagpipes).
I tried to google that, and the fourth link was this:
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 1.12.49 PM.png
Right then. I think I'd still like to hear the story. Would I?

ucim wrote:Nobody ever admits it, but it gets harder and harder the later it gets. Pretty soon you've crossed the line between what is "late at night" and what is "early in the morning" (I declare that to be 6am) and the assignment still isn't done. It's almost done, but ch*rp! Somewhere back there I lined up the wrong lines! Which fault was it? Ok... this isn't so hard. Start again.

This is a story that is told from year to year as a warning to the incoming, and every year it is repeated. This time it would be different.

No, it wouldn't.
So true. All of it. (Except the part about 6am. The new day starts that moment when you know in your heart that you don't get to sleep. For me, that usually coincided with the taking of the morning shower, or that conscious skipping of same.)

Ooh - I didn't know such colour-shifting thingies existed - I should check that out - thanks!

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:I think they could've done okay if the little ch*rpers didn't always have their mouths full
Maybe they just loved the thread.
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:09 am UTC

Time leaves me with questions.
ggh wrote:I want you to know I wrote a song, and sang itfor some definitions of singing, while playingfor some definitions of playing an accordion! It was terrifying, but fun - it was probably less so for the folks I was singing to.

ok ...
YouTube?

This is the 21st Century.
And; You are a digital person.

Is there a YouTube Copy of the Performance?
MistyCat, I would very much like to have a pint with you someday. :)

There are YouTube Clips of friends having a pint.

ggh wrote:

Holy Molpy!
Both the Little Wonder and I gasped in horror when the picture was destroyed (in that one, and the one that autoplayed right after).

I also gasped.
I'd like to touch it, too.

That clip shows a profoundly talented human being.
I wonder, ... How much Time did the person in the clip spend studying that one, kind'a clunky, original painting?

Gingercat asks
"I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills / Than a mansion in the slums". What are your thoughts on that particular one, ggh?

well...ggh?
What do you think?

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:
I tried to google that, and the fourth link was this:Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 1.12.49 PM.pngRight then.

I think I'd still like to hear the story. Would I?

I would.

Caravan *vs* Manson
Spoiler:
A caravan has the advantage.
A caravan can be moved if an accordion and bagpipe move onto the hill.
Spoiler:
An accordion may love a bagpipe, but Where would they live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaSgkAwVaA
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:22 am UTC

addams wrote:Time leaves me with questions.
ggh wrote:I want you to know I wrote a song, and sang itfor some definitions of singing, while playingfor some definitions of playing an accordion! It was terrifying, but fun - it was probably less so for the folks I was singing to.

ok ...
YouTube?

MistyCat, I would very much like to have a pint with you someday. :)

There are YouTube Clips of friends having a pint.

ggh wrote:

Holy Molpy!

I also gasped.
I'd like to touch it, too.

That clip shows a profoundly talented human being.
I wonder, ... How much Time did the person in the clip spend studying that one, kind'a clunky, original painting?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_marbling

Gingercat asks
"I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills / Than a mansion in the slums". What are your thoughts on that particular one, ggh?

well...ggh?
What do you think?

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:
I tried to google that, and the fourth link was this:Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 1.12.49 PM.pngRight then.

I think I'd still like to hear the story. Would I?

I would.

Caravan *vs* Manson
Spoiler:
A caravan has the advantage.
A caravan can be moved if an accordion and bagpipe move onto the hill.
Spoiler:
An accordion may love a bagpipe, but Where would they live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDaSgkAwVaA
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:46 am UTC

Saw me in half, would you!?

I'll live anyway! :evil:
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2211

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 am UTC

UNENDUNGERED...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BLUENHANCE HARD 2: BLUENHANCE HARDER

-- posted by oldpixbot

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:30 am UTC

ucim wrote:blindpost (thanks notifier!):

Jose

If it's an in-the-ground pool with sufficiently strong sides (brick and mortar, for example) Polyesther/glassfiber is an effective substitute, (if you can stand the smell during hardening). It's really not that difficult to apply, but I advise to watch some videos online and test on a small object like a flowerpot. I have a tiny bit of experience with the stuff and would be willing to help remotely if you can't find anyone closer.
Don't bother with a mold release, you won't be removing it anyway.
If you are doing such a thing I'd advise building a ramp for the wolpies to get out first. As they age climbing out becomes impossible before they realize they won't be able to get out. And a wolpy can only swim for so long.
ucim wrote:Which fault was it?

Yours?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:46 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:If it's an in-the-ground pool with sufficiently strong sides (brick and mortar, for example) Polyesther/glassfiber is an effective substitute, (if you can stand the smell during hardening). It's really not that difficult to apply, but I advise to watch some videos online and test on a small object like a flowerpot. I have a tiny bit of experience with the stuff and would be willing to help remotely if you can't find anyone closer.
Don't bother with a mold release, you won't be removing it anyway.
If you are doing such a thing I'd advise building a ramp for the wolpies to get out first. As they age climbing out becomes impossible before they realize they won't be able to get out. And a wolpy can only swim for so long.

Yours?

It is in ground, not sure what is behind the vinyl. Pretty sure this project falls into the the 'hire someone' category for us, the tricky part is figuring out how much it would cost, before we decide if we even want to put an offer on the house. It's not our pool, yet.

Wolpy egress is definitely something we're thinking about. Currently the pool only has ladders, so that's not going to work.

Some Ways to Time

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

SBN wrote:It is in ground, not sure what is behind the vinyl. Pretty sure this project falls into the the 'hire someone' category for us, the tricky part is figuring out how much it would cost, before we decide if we even want to put an offer on the house. It's not our pool, yet.

Take some pictures and measurements. Diameter + depth are required. Talk to a pool guy, although they may think it's easier to just put a complete factory pool in. If you happen to know someone who built a polyester boat: ask them about it too (it is the same kind of work).
Dunno how it's there but 'round here i'd check with a handyman. There are small companies that can do such stuff.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time": GOATEE, RELEASE THE HAIKUS!

Postby ggh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:39 pm UTC

thunk wrote:To prevent them from bolting off into the unknown like so many others? except it didn't work.
It didn't work, Rosetta hardly moves, and Cuegan is not shown to exert any extra effort due to bag placement. If I imagine what had to happen in the interframe after RUN appeared, it's actually kinda awkward - with the grabbing the bags on the other side of Rosetta and then doing a 180 to head for the door - but in the OTC, all we see is them bolting smoothly through the beads. It's more like the GLR was hoping we'd forget that the bags were not already on their backs for the sake of the art of the RUN shot. I'm just not seeing what was accomplished here by the bag-taking, and how it was worth the cost that the OTA paid to have those frames.

Displaced kumara... I feel like I should really get that one, thunk, but I don't. Uprooted something? Redundant kumara would be canned yams.... On the right track at all? Hmm, I think I'll be kicking myself when you explain that one.

I think I'm relieved by your answer, taixzo; I'd feel really bad if I could have helped the beanies but failed to. They were pretty awesomeful.

Gingercat wrote:In The Lowlands is such a cheerful, catchy tune!
I can't tell if that's sarcasm.... I'm guessing no, but for those playing along at home, the song begins with "Oh, Hell, trouble is coming/Out here in panic and alarm" and has such uplifting lines as "Fear will take the place of desire" and "Ghost cars on the freeway/Like friends that you thought you had/One by one, they're disappearing". And yet.... In that sense (and probably that sense only) it reminds me of Dirty Creature, which, while really dark lyrically, is - would you say, GingerCat, that that's Split Enz's most danceable number?

Gingercat wrote:Although I've never personally put much thought into this particular song, you've just given me a topic for some serious consideration. Domestic violence almost feels like a shoehorn for this song, rather than the intended message; it seems (to me) to be more of a criticism of someone for a sudden turn into a meaner version of themselves (they need to "rise up through the maze" and "change [their] life" to get back to the person they were, as they're currently lost. Maybe due to falling in with drugs?) - This change is causing them to be suddenly and unusually awful to someone they love.
Oh gee, now that you put it that way, suddenly there's a friend I'll be thinking of when I hear it.

Gingercat wrote:Mansion In The Slums is another quite interesting song/statement by Neil, in my opinion - "I'd much rather have a caravan in the hills / Than a mansion in the slums". What are your thoughts on that particular one, ggh?
Gee, now I'm super-curious about what you're going to say about that, because I thought it was one of the less confusing ones (though the bleeding-to-death lines don't really make sense to me). I always saw Mansion as an anti-rat-race, anti-keeping-up-with-the-jones', anti-trying-to-impress kinda tune: better to be poor but live your life a way that makes you happy. And then it gets kinda jokey, with, hey, wouldn't it be even cooler to live your life however you please and be rich?

Gingercat wrote:As well as Hole In The River. (Before I possibly color your opinion by providing my own, I'd like to hear your thoughts on these ones and definitely others as well!)
I haven't listened to Hole in the River for a while, so I might have to get back to you on that one. I mean, I remember liking it, even though it's so sad, but I don't recall much more than that.

Gingercat wrote:And have you heard some of CH's newer ones, such as Walked Her Way Down, or maybe Transit Lounge?
I liked that album a lot (although Transit Lounge is not one of my faves) - I'll get to it. :) I saw Crowded House once, maybe twice, on that tour and I remember the audience being impatient with the new stuff. One guy actually called out something... gee, I can't remember his words... but something along the lines of "enough of this new sh*t" which Neil heard and repeated at some point, maybe jokingly, maybe bitterly. I am often proud of Wellington, but not at that moment.

addams wrote:Time leaves me with questions.

ok ...
YouTube?

Sweet bald-headed Cue! Absolutely not! Have you seen the internet?!!?

I wrote it for the lovely lovely folks that work at this Mexican restaurant that is like a second home to the Little Wonder and I (it's a long story). Sure they make and serve great food, but the big thing for us is how they make us feel - and sometimes we - I'm looking at you, Little Wonder - can be a handful. You're not going to get the inside jokes of course, I've changed the name to protect the guilty, and I'm not sure I can be bothered to try to transcribe the melody or photograph the visual aid, but here are the lyrics if you're curious:
Spoiler:
Can't help but grin when we come in
We're just so glad to see ya
I squeal with glee: Enchilada for me!
Ann gets a quesadilla.
You make us feel like we belong
Great hugs and great smells both so strong
It's Mexican, so is it wrong
I'm shouting mama mia?

You got us dancing in the aisles til the moment we depart
You make me happy in my belly! You make me happy in my heart!
And that plate of chilaquiles, omg, a work of art

That curl of cheese, oh please oh please!
The agua fresca's splendid.
I stand and yap. Annie does a lap,
then flies from arms suspended
The special comes - I'm stunned again
Flavours like that, I say amen
And what a blessing it has been
to be so well befriended

Margaritas may be magic, but your fluffy's off the chart
Having two Mexican husbands - doesn't that make me a tart?

I've grown well-versed in feeling fit to burst
Is it the eats or my heartbeats
That fill me (fill me)

Wanna tell you how I love you, but I don't know where to start
Those big smiles and the sunshine: they're hard to tell apart
You keep us healthy with those black beans, and they come without a fart!
Wanna keep me from that swordfish, you'll have to hit me with a dart
Letting Annie throw the limes was, very sweet, if not that smart
If you're wondering how I'm feeling, please refer to this flow chart

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Yours?
ba-dum-tish!
Agatha the Awesomeful

thunk

1190: "Time": WE'RE GONNA NEED A MORE SEAISH GAZEBO

Postby thunk » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:34 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Displaced kumara... I feel like I should really get that one, thunk, but I don't. Uprooted something? Redundant kumara would be canned yams.... On the right track at all? Hmm, I think I'll be kicking myself when you explain that one

This one is just the same nonsensical word combo as most Vital Hotdog Function suggestions. But sweet potatoes were also one of the first New World crops brought away from the continent by the Polynesians (before 1000 B. T.); hence displacement.

of course, it's best to keep quiet before ggh gets arrested for gardening without a license (probably a joke article).
troo dat

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2224

Postby mscha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:10 pm UTC

PUNGLES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:BECOME AN BUKKIT

-- posted by oldpixbot

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Wow, in that case I must be the most dangerous person on earth as I play 3 out of those 4, and all 4 are among my favourite instruments and the one I don't play (bagpipes) is the one I most wish I could play.

Forgot to reply to ggh's original post too - Good on you being converted to the ways of the accordion! I'd like to have seen it :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:30 pm UTC

I finally made changes to the mirror's CSS so that it's displayed correctly with the html from the new phpBB.

HES wrote:Same! Though, I used to do the same with Lego as a child. Get new set > build by instructions > immediately destroy > make something better.
I sometimes completely skipped the "build by instructions" part.

About staying up late:
While being a student I too sometimes had too much left to do in the last days. But even if I didn't manage to finish everything in the day I would not stay out late . I went to sleep anyway but I got up at 4AM and continued doing the things in the early morning. It was so much faster than in the evening!
I have not had any unsleeped night so far.
BFTF replay

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”