1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:42 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:
Sustainabilizer wrote:
Related News wrote:The Most Seaish Sandcastle of the World is complete now.
However it does not count as a world record because it broke down, and there is no more guarantee that there aren't some IKEA parts inside.

RSIR:
Spoiler:
sandcastle.png

It is the world's most beautiful Sand Castle.
It is so much like the xkcd Time Thread.

Like the xkcd Time Thread it is large and has many important and interesting side stories.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:24 am UTC

thunk wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

You're quite good at fetching the Othercomics in time.

So are you. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Gingercat

The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 7

Postby Gingercat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:33 am UTC

Welcome to The Chronicles of Torgos, Vol. 7! The theme of today's story is "The Dethroning of the Ghoul King", where Torgos and Co. continue to make friends with unusual races, and thoroughly destroy anything that gets in their way.

<- Volume 6

Standard Disclaimer:
Spoiler:
(As always, unless something is prefaced with "OOC", references to "I" or "me" are completely in-character, telling the story from his point of view as if this is his journal. Occasionally liberties must be taken, such as referring to dice rolls; let's just chalk those up to him firmly believing that the gods roll dice sometimes to determine how they'll treat him and others in various situations just for fun. It's not entirely inaccurate...)

The journal continues here, the pages adorned with flecks of gold dust:

Spoiler:
Heading back to town with our immense amounts of spoils (including the three huge, empty iron-bound chests), we all decide to go shopping for some useful items. There's little of interest available to me; like the others, I stash most of my accumulated wealth in our townhouse, buy up a heap of Potions of Healing for an amazing discount (I keep getting things at around a quarter of market price! The gods must love me, truly) and decide to check in on the Dead Drop Goblin to see if he has any news for me. The poor guy is there, stuffed into the hollowed-out tree trunk as always, and that particular area is REALLY starting to stink of goblin and the associated goblin waste. I may need a new area to meet, or a better way of communicating; I really need to actually drop in on Locktooth and Scrimjaw and begin my long-term plans for that tribe.

Dead Drop (that's going to be his name forever now, I'm sure, although it's better than having the words the other way around right?) is his usual terrified self upon seeing me; I'm beginning to wonder if he's the only one that got away in the initial raid that Scrimjaw led against me in my tavern room that fateful night, and the extremely close brush with fiery death has mentally scarred him for the rest of his days... He tells me that the hobgoblin attacks on the tribe have all but ceased, and the activity of hobs in general seems to have suddenly come to a (very welcome) halt. No more raids and random kills, meaning they can get back to their normal lives. He doesn't really have any further news, and seems quite worried that this fact will displease me. As always, I do my best to persuade him that he has done an excellent job in relaying the information, that I am quite pleased, and that the tribe will be rewarded for his continued service. Slightly less terrified now, his demeanour changes to one of both happiness and puzzlement when I hand him fifty Platinum coins to take back to the tribe. They're not the gold he's so especially fond of (I didn't have any on me at the time), but they are certainly very shiny and pretty! He bites one to see if it deforms the same way that gold does; when it doesn't he shrugs and agrees to take it with him. I make sure he knows to take it to Scrimjaw, who I believe will definitely recognise the value he's being handed, and will ensure that the tribe gets maximum value from it. He scampers off, understandably glad to be leaving this place. From our conversation (such that it is), I get the distinct impression that being both a runt and not overly bright, he's used to being on his own, so acting as a communications point rather suits him since he gets to be completely by himself for long periods.

With that small step toward tribal relationship-building completed, the party's first order of business once concluded in town is to investigate the apparent lair of a Ghoul King who's been troubling the region for some time. Now, undead are troublesome at the best of times, and a Ghoul King sounds remarkably unfriendly even by undead standards. Very powerful, usually in charge of a horde of undead underlings (undeadlings? Underdead? Underdead, yeah!), able to get any fallen undead back on their feet in short order and raise other deceased creatures in the area (such as unfortunate party members) as additional undead under his command. All in all, a fight I'm feeling intrepid about, but excited at the same time. I think my usual approach of hanging back and using the all-cleansing power of FIRE will work quite nicely.

Our journey toward the Ghoul King's lair is largely uneventful, until we are stopped by a large contingent of golden-crested lizardmen a few hundred feet away on the road directly ahead. Evidently led by three Lizardmen Shamans, they look like they've seen a lot of combat recently, but they're ready for more. As they watch us carefully from a distance, we discuss among ourselves how best to approach this situation. The fact that they're not immediately rushing us makes us think that they might be open to a trade of information at least; we'd rather not just charge in with spells and swords drawn without knowing their intentions toward us. To that effect, those of us with weapons visible slowly and clearly put them away as a show of non-aggression, which seems to make the group of lizardmen relax slightly, but remain vigilant. Through our discussions the sorceror suggests that since he and I are clearly not human and possess scales of our own (being Dragonborn), we may be the best ones to open the discussion with the tribe. Since we're magic-users with our full complement of spells available, we're also able to react quickly if things go south.

With this in mind, he and I proceed slowly forward with our hands clearly visible in a gesture that we hope suggests that we would prefer peaceful conversation, while the rest of the party remains in place watching for trouble. One of the Shamans steps forward to greet us, and informs us that we are trespassing on Goldcrest lands. He asks that we state our purpose for being here. Being the more charismatic of the two of us, the sorceror apologises for the trespass and explains that we seek the Ghoul King. At the mere mention of him, the Shaman spits and hisses instinctively, and every lizardman warrior within hearing range jeers, shake their weapons and shields and begin speaking what I can only imagine are the most foul, withering and horrific curses the Lizardman language has to offer. Evidently, they don't like the Ghoul King very much.

Shaman: "Why do you seek the Ghoul King?"

[Rest of lizardman tribe: More jeers etc]

Sorceror: "We wish to destroy him. He's been causing a lot of trouble for a nearby township and we've been contracted to put a stop to it."

Shaman: "This is welcome news, if true. The Ghoul King" [more furious jeers, rattles and cursing] "has been a very big problem for the Goldcrest tribe as well."

Sorceror: "Perhaps we can work together then? We may be able to help each other since we both have a problem with the Ghoul King." [Every mention of him results in more of the same from the tribe. He's REALLY hated.]

Shaman: "Perhaps. You are not lizardfolk, but you are scaled ones nonetheless. We trust you more than we trust the others you travel with on that basis; we've had a lot of trouble with pinkskins. Between them and the foul undead, we are in constant battle."

The conversation continues, and the sorceror and I are invited to the lizardmen's camp for further discussions. I politely decline since I'm needed by the rest of the party for the Tiny Hut spell (once cast, I can't leave its area of influence or it will disappear, and it guarantees a peaceful rest) and the sorceror goes with them. He later tells us that the deal he came to with them was that when we raid the Ghoul King's lair, they will guard the outside against ambush by any undead sneaking in behind us. In exchange, he will provide them with some very useful magical knowledge, such as the creation of homunculi that he loves doing so much (he has three or four of them by now, and wants to create more). Initially he tossed 1000GP on the table as his offer for help, and in doing so found out why they're the Goldcrest tribe - They thanked him for the gift and stated that gold is of very little value to them; they grind it into dust and use it to adorn their crests! A disappointing loss of that much gold, I'm certain, but also a useful insight into their society.

The next day, we make our way to the lair of the Ghoul King: A ruined wizard tower in the middle of what was once a thriving town, now a near-literal ghost town. Most of the tower is now completely missing, having collapsed in on itself with no maintenance; only the entrance room itself and the stairs leading down to what is presumably a basement remain clear. We search the room for anything of interest that may have been left behind or overlooked, but there is nothing interesting here. The downward stairs beckon, spiraling around like a corkscrew as they descend into darkness, the walls full of tomb alcoves with empty coffins in them. Empty, I have no doubt, since their contents would have been raised by the Ghoul King as servants. Seeing no choice but to proceed, we carefully make our way down them while searching for traps or other nasty surprises, lighting a torch when the darkness becomes too difficult to see in. Down, down, down - How far underground does this staircase go? There are no sounds other than those we are making, but the torch seems to be very slowly becoming less effective at dispelling the darkness. Odd. There's still more than enough light to see by, but it's not nearly as bright now as when we were near the top of the stairs, even though the torch still seems to be burning as merrily as ever!

Finally the base of the staircase makes itself known, leading to a single, empty, plain stone doorway. Beyond the doorway, there appear to be two paths. The classic choice, left or right? Extremely suspicious, our Rogue checks for traps again... And finds that the doorway itself is magically warded against trespass. It's a simple but effective trap: Paraphrasing, "The next creature to pass through this doorway will suffer an immense amount of necrotic-type damage." Since Undead are either immune to or healed by necrotic damage, and would be exempt from the spell by its caster anyway, I'm mildly surprised that it hasn't been tripped by a rat or similar creature, and I say as much. This gives the Ranger an idea, and he pulls out a box containing a particularly poisonous toad he found at some point earlier. One moment there's a toad hopping toward the doorway, the next moment there is an indescribable blob of poisonous organic matter continuing through the arc that the toad would have taken had it not been utterly blended by the trap spell. It lands on the floor beyond with a muffled splat. A further trap-check shows that the doorway is now safe to pass through.

One path simply leads to a blank stone wall; a dead end. The other leads into another section of catacomb, again with the walls lined with tombs containing empty coffins. The path between the walls here is fairly thin; ahead there is an intersection with the path seeming to take two sharp turns and end up on the other side of the walls beside us, much like a "|T|" shape (with the lines being paths). The moment we step into this section there is a low, evil laugh from somewhere nearby, a rumbling sound from back the way we came of stone sliding on stone, and then quick footsteps headed in our direction. Ahead in the right-hand curve there is a rattling shuffle; those inclined toward melee combat quickly head that way and (they later tell me) find themselves looking at two large animated skeletons. I head down the left-hand side and ready my spells in case I can see a viable target, as the darkness in this area continues to thicken slowly in spite of our torches. The Rogue clambers into one of the wall alcoves at the intersection, preparing for a Sneak Attack where possible, while the melee attackers smash the skeletons into crunchy pieces after taking some hits themselves.

The approaching footsteps soon show themselves to be Ghouls, who zip around the right-hand corner and engage the melee fighters. While they are battling, the skeletons reassemble and rejoin the battle. That's trouble... I don't have a good shot on anything, so I continue to wait for an opportunity. The area suddenly goes pitch-dark for a moment, and with a cackle the Ghoul King makes his appearance. Lacking in Darkvision there's still little I can do, since I can't see anything at all; when the darkness reverts to its previous level, the battle area is so cramped I don't have a good shot on any enemies without also blasting allies! It's at this point that the Ghoul King makes what he feels is a very clever decision: He's able to teleport himself and someone else onto the Ethereal Plane at will. It turns out to be not so clever when the person he randomly chooses to take with him is the group's Paladin! While the others battle the ghouls and skeletons in the cramped space, I'm left simply observing and waiting for an attack opportunity, the Ghoul King and Paladin vanish entirely. We know that something pretty serious has happened when the ghouls and skeletons fail to keep getting up, and there's a... feeling... of great force being sent through the planes like a shockwave, implying that the Ghoul King didn't live long to regret taking the only character who can utterly smite him with holy magic (which, to my understanding, is classified as "Radiant-type" damage, which deals double damage to Undead and can be boosted by expending Spell Slots!). Unfortunately, this means that the Paladin is going to have to make his own way back from the Ethereal Plane, but I imagine his patron deity will assist him in that regard. That, and that Plane of existince is most likely where the Ghoul King hid his most valuable treasure.

[OOC: It is indeed; the Paladin scored himself a truly amazing Legendary Relic Shield made from the actual spine and ribcage of one of the most important saints of his religion! Along with cash, gems, and other nice items. The GM lamented that the random roll for target picked the only character capable of reducing his Boss Monster to ash in two rounds!]

Thus it was that I, Torgos, was the Wizard That Didn't, and the Ghoul King was dethroned in short order. Heading back outside, we could see that the lizardfolk had lived up to their side of the bargain, with a lot of now permanently re-dead scattered around the entrance to the tower, and the lizardfolk themselves having sustained a lot of injuries and a few casualties, one of whom was one of the three Shamans we saw initially. A pity.

The sorceror chooses to stay with the lizardfolk for a while so he can uphold his side of the bargain, and the rest of us head back to town to collect the bounty on the Ghoul King.

-> Volume 8
Last edited by Gingercat on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:59 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

azule
Saved

Re: 1190: "Orthonormal Basis"

Postby azule » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:26 am UTC

karhell wrote:
Link wrote:Welcome, GnomeAnne, gzip filesaler the Recent! The word I think you're looking for is "dip" or "dix". :)
No love for xip? It's slightly antiquated, but still perfectly serviceable ;)

I can feel the love. :wink: 8-)

Why is it antiquated? Oh, because zip files have been replaced by 7z or gzip files?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Link

1190: "Time": CAVEISH BAOBABBIES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby Link » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:04 am UTC

karhell wrote:
Oops.

Eternal Density wrote:
Todip I upgraded my leopad to Android Marshmallow!
Why didn't you go for CyanogenMod? It has some really molpish additional features that stock Android doesn't have AFAIK. The system profiles and built-in equaliser are particularly treeish. Also it has root support and lots of extra security out-of-the-box. As an example of a nifty thing to do: I set up my system profiles to automatically disable my lock screen when I'm connected to my home WiFi, so I can use my phone immediately when I press the power button. (There's a tiny crawlpy with re-enabling the lock screen in that it doesn't work until after you wake the phone up by pressing the power button, but I fixed that with Automate, which can respond to changes of the CM system profile!)

azule wrote:
Why is it antiquated? Oh, because zip files have been replaced by 7z or gzip files?
.tar.lzma where it's at, yo. 8-)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

Sorry about that - I love xip too, but I had a bout of CRS. "Ch*rped Recall Systems".

Now Kevin, on the other hand, is a goose of a different color.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:33 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:My Outside is a weird combination of molpishness and *ndishness right now. I'm home with my parents and my sister, with more family coming, and that is a happy thing. But my father is so small and so weak, and it's really hard to see. On the other hand, I'm fortunate, in a way, that I am able to take care of my aging father. My boyfriend, whose father was only in his 60s when he died of cancer, would probably give a lot to be able to watch his father grow old. Does that make sense? Maybe I'm rambling. Anyway, I'm glad to have the chance to be here to help.

Thanks for listening.
It does make sense. Taking care of someone implies that you care about them in the first place. It also creates interaction. Interaction in turn creates memories which are, in some way, the most precious possession we can have, and all that we leave behind us. Time created many memories.
Now I'm also rambling >.<

Image Thanks for understanding.

Good luck with your coursework m*stard, thunk!

Welcome, GnomeAnne, Revealer the Recent! We look forward to hearing more from you as you journey on your Blitz. I enjoyed your first blitzpost, and especially your ottification of "Brave Sir Robin." :D Good luck rebuilding from the quake! :)

It doesn't match up exactly, but I watched this video while listening to yappo's awesomeful music. I watched the video at the beginning of the music, then watched the last part of the video with the end of the music, and it worked nicely. There were actually places where the video and music lined up weirdly well. Totally random, of course. I guess it's like the Dark Side of the Rainbow thing.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the music with us, yappo! No need for in-depth anything. Stop by and say hi when you get a chance.

ucim wrote:
ZoomanSP wrote:Clearing the cache however removed the punshoes, and the AotC avatar is back. :)
The iThing, it seems, had the knack
of putting the OTT out of whack.
But wiping its brain
though it seems inhumane
brought everything molpishly back.

Or could it perhaps be that puns
are things that for safety, it shuns?
In that case the shoes
with the teeth are the dues
paid for lexical-style overruns.

Steakish!

addams wrote:Automobile
Spoiler:
Windows rolled up.
Machine set in warm summer's sunlight for half hour or more.

Chemists have a word for what I discovered upon opening the car door.

Toxic?

bouer wrote:I'm pretty sure when I said that there were only a few hundred pages, and the story was still being told.

How did you all manage to make nearly 100000 posts after the story ended?

Wow, a visit from one of the Elders!Age is Yeah, we just didn't stop posting, and that's what happened.

Thank you for your work on the conference proceeding, Sustainabilizer. Although it reminds me that I have been woefully unhelpful even with regards to my own paper. :oops:

Sustainabilizer wrote:You know, this is the place where the true masters of <computery stuff> (addams, lmjb1964, …) meet.

Yes indeed! Addams and I are going to start a club. The True Masters of Computery Stuff club (TMCS for short).

Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's balthasar? Seems I haven't seen him recently.

I don't want to get too much into the discussion of copyright; I seem to remember that caused a few sparks in the past. But wouldn't ottifications count as parodies, and aren't parodies permitted?

ZoomanSP wrote:
thunk wrote:

You're quite good at fetching the Othercomics in time.

So are you. :)

And I very much appreciate both of you for it!

azule wrote:
karhell wrote:
Link wrote:Welcome, GnomeAnne, gzip filesaler the Recent! The word I think you're looking for is "dip" or "dix". :)

I can feel the love. :wink: 8-)

I always preferred dip, probably due to the alliteration with the heretical word, but both are great because of ni ni ni chupacabra etc., etc..

just a numberand not what I'm referring to here.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

addams

Postby addams » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:02 am UTC

Yey!!
She's Back!!

My little world is quiet.
The night is unusually still and clear.

I stepped outside to watch a large, bright crescent moon set through the trees.
I was not alone. I watched the moon set and I watched a large pretty skunk hunt.

Then I stepped right back indoors. He is a pretty animal.
When upset he smells worse than MothBalls and Mellon.

I don't want to do anything to upset him.
I would like him to hunt somewhere else.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time": CAVEISH BOOBABBIES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:13 am UTC

Link wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Todip I upgraded my leopad to Android Marshmallow!
Why didn't you go for CyanogenMod? It has some really molpish additional features that stock Android doesn't have AFAIK. The system profiles and built-in equaliser are particularly treeish. Also it has root support and lots of extra security out-of-the-box. As an example of a nifty thing to do: I set up my system profiles to automatically disable my lock screen when I'm connected to my home WiFi, so I can use my phone immediately when I press the power button. (There's a tiny crawlpy with re-enabling the lock screen in that it doesn't work until after you wake the phone up by pressing the power button, but I fixed that with Automate, which can respond to changes of the CM system profile!)
Well I wanted to try out AOSP first, since I was reasonably certain it should work without trouble. Especially since I hadn't seen or used Marshmallow before. Maybe I'll try CM next wip. One step at a time...
*pokes around*
Ahh, here's the needle-pulled thing I need http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... 5-t3320365

Hmm, the instructions are a little more vague. That's another reason I did what I did: the instructions were clear enough that I was confident that I would actually do the correct thing. Now that I know what I'm doing I'm a bit more confident about trying this. Next wip. I've spent enough time already getting my leopad set up, and need to get some useful work done :P

ETA the problem I have with automation features is I never know what I want to automate. Like I can never figure out how to best arrange my app icons and widgets because I never know what I'm gonna use when or how often. I'm also bad at setting up or using todo lists.

@Gingercat:
thanks for the Torgos tale! It was a fun read.

ETAAgain
lmjb1964 wrote:I always preferred dip, probably due to the alliteration with the heretical word, but both are great because of ni ni ni chupacabra etc., etc..

Me too, and wow I haven't seen that in a while! Ping pong ball, right?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
Well I wanted to try out AOSP first, since I was reasonably certain it should work without trouble. Especially since I hadn't seen or used Marshmallow before. Maybe I'll try CM next wip. One step at a time...
*pokes around*
Ahh, here's the needle-pulled thing I need http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... 5-t3320365

Hmm, the instructions are a little more vague. That's another reason I did what I did: the instructions were clear enough that I was confident that I would actually do the correct thing. Now that I know what I'm doing I'm a bit more confident about trying this. Next wip. I've spent enough time already getting my leopad set up, and need to get some useful work done :P

Fair enough. In any case, getting TWRP installed is generally the sandishest part of messing around with tablets and phones; once that is done, you can almost always flash a working image (or restore your original one, if you make a backup) if something goes wrong. So installing CM should be pretty safe. :)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:[ETAAgain
lmjb1964 wrote:I always preferred dip, probably due to the alliteration with the heretical word, but both are great because of ni ni ni chupacabra etc., etc..

Me too, and wow I haven't seen that in a while! Ping pong ball, right?

Yep, ping pong ball, though ucim tends to get creative with it and put in other things. :D

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:20 am UTC

As I continue my Quest towards the future I have come across a truly disturbing number of new posters who never read the rules of the forum, to the extent that I am no longer sure that my previous comment's introductory quip was not taken at face value.
To be clear, I have read the rules and was surprised that I was able to use both a link and image on only my second post.
Perusing the OTT I have come upon many references to some of my favorite works from the outside
Spoiler:
-Firefly (there need to be more of these)
-Doctor Who
-Back to the Future
-The Phantom Tollbooth
-Amazing Fantasy
-Blade runner
-Monty Python
-Bacon (!!)
-The Princess Bride
-LOTR
-The Dresden Files
-Star Trek
-The Iron Giant
-Ringworld
-The Matrix
-Pratchett
-Schlock Mercenary
-The Bible
-Frost
-Mister Ed
-Redwall
-E.T.
-the Dark Tower series
and, of course, many Othercomics as well.
It is truly a blessing, finding myself among people to whom I can so easily relate.

On an unrelated note, my roommate happened to see me scrolling through the latest (to my present) Newpix on http://geekwagon.net/projects/xkcd1190/, and, despite being an avowed outsider, directed me to a game based on the OTT. I found a link to a youtube video nestled in a comment tag while writing an Anti-AFK script.
Spoiler:
Molpy.Got = function(back) { //I like big molpies and I can not lie
return(Molpy.Boosts[back] ? Molpy.Boosts[back].bought : 0);
//also, watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTYr3JuueF4

The future looks to be interesting
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time": CAVEISH BOOBIES ARE _SUPERIOR_

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:17 am UTC

Link wrote:Fair enough. In any case, getting TWRP installed is generally the sandishest part of messing around with tablets and phones; once that is done, you can almost always flash a working image (or restore your original one, if you make a backup) if something goes wrong. So installing CM should be pretty safe. :)
Ah, nifty. I don't really like using Odin very much, because 1. nothing is labelled clearly and 2. It requires Windows which means pulling my lapleopard out of its bag. (Actually there's Heimdall for Linux but when I tried that last yip, it didn't want to work with my leopad (even when I built the most latest version from source!) Maybe an updated version will work now that over a year has passed? Well I shouldn't need it again in any case. ETA Unfortunately that's an unofficial build which seems to have been abandoned, and my model isn't officially supported. (But the three related models are supported. This is very silly.) OTOH I kinda have to use CM because the launcher is called Trebuchet. ETA otoh there's this for my device model which is based on CM and is being developed/supported more actively http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- ... 5-t3435993

GnomeAnne wrote:Perusing the OTT I have come upon many references to some of my favorite works from the outside
Neat list! Thanks for making that.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

thunk

Re: 1190: "S. T. of R. I."

Postby thunk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:17 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:As I continue my Quest towards the future I have come across a truly disturbing number of new posters who never read the rules of the forum, to the extent that I am no longer sure that my previous comment's introductory quip was not taken at face value.

Woops...sorry about that one.
Anyway, new othercomic.

(edit)
Piggledy wiggedy
Part of the clerecy
thought that some shortcuts save
Time on long lists.

Push leads to shove, and oh!
one just got mauled by an
Australovenator--
Sure xey'll be missed.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:52 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:To be clear, I have read the rules and was surprised that I was able to use both a link and image on only my second post.

At the time the rules were written, it would have been impossible for you to do so. There has been a fairly recent change at the back-end that seems to have (perhaps unintentionally) removed certain restrictions.

Is the OTT still immune to filters or do we have to cater to the mods desires? Oh me yarm, it would seem the latter.
He/Him/His Image

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:48 pm UTC

HES wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:To be clear, I have read the rules and was surprised that I was able to use both a link and image on only my second post.

At the time the rules were written, it would have been impossible for you to do so. There has been a fairly recent change at the back-end that seems to have (perhaps unintentionally) removed certain restrictions.

Is the OTT still immune to filters or do we have to show a basic level of decency and respect to the mods desires? Oh me yarm, it would seem the latter.

We have to show a basic level of decency? What fun is that?

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:But wouldn't ottifications count as parodies, and aren't parodies permitted?
In the US, that is my understanding.

addams wrote:I watched the moon set and I watched a large pretty skunk hunt.

Yes, they are beautiful. We had three skunk(s?) walk past the sliding glass door of our dining room some years back - they undulated softly like a caress. But yes, you don't want to starle them. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:We have to show a basic level of decency? What fun is that?
Could be worse. We might have to show a FORTRAN level of decency. Or maybe a Lolcode level of decency.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:But wouldn't ottifications count as parodies, and aren't parodies permitted?
In the US, that is my understanding.

addams wrote:I watched the moon set and I watched a large pretty skunk hunt.

Yes, they are beautiful. We had three skunk(s?) walk past the sliding glass door of our dining room some years back - they undulated softly like a caress. But yes, you don't want to starle them. :)

lmjb1964 wrote:We have to show a basic level of decency? What fun is that?
Could be worse. We might have to show a FORTRAN level of decency. Or maybe a Lolcode level of decency.

Jose

As long as it isn't an INTERCAL level of decency - then we'd have to make sure we said PLEASE all the time, but not too often for fear of being excessively polite.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:00 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
HES wrote:

Is the OTT still immune to filters or do we have to show a basic level of decency and respect to the mods desires? Oh me yarm, it would seem the latter.

We have to show a basic level of decency? What fun is that?

It can be a lot of fun.

Some people go above and beyond,
and have more than their fair share.

Like Bill Gates and You.
And; Other OTTers, too.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

1190: "Called for light"

Postby thunk » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:51 am UTC

Wistfully, finally,
spacecraft Rosetta will
on this Bananadip
land on its head.

Getting a good view that's
Deir-el-Medina-ish
Bump will crush solar cells,
Landing's T** E**.

Lazily wastily
sad shade of overcast
rain pitterpatters and
thus blocks the view.

Such are laments of a
meteorologist
starved for excitement, she
then bothers you.
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:56 pm UTC

Fibonacci Numbers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkGeOWYOFoA

Magic?
I know it is not Magic.

umm...uhh...gee...It seems so much like Magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

The OTTer words that spring to my mind, follow.
Spoiler:
Why are there so many songs about the Time Thread
and what's on the OutSide.

The Time Thread's an illusion;
Only on computer screens.
The Time Thread has nothing to hide.

Someday we'll find it,
The Unified Field Theory.

The Scientists, The Artists and Me...
La-La-La...La-Da-La-Da...
I went to sleep,
When I woke up there was a Box where there had been no Box before.

Inside the Box is Magic.
I must read the Book of Incantations.

I have a Box!
ooohh...Do you remember the story of Pandora's Box?
Is the Opening of Boxes in Outside a matter of great concern?

BobCat??
(maybe...)

EDIT: Not a BobCat!!
The spider wars are won!
Rejoice! Rejoice!
Last edited by addams on Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's balthasar? Seems I haven't seen him recently.

?
Look, I'm standing right here!

But,
1. I didn't have anything related to say so I didn't.
2. I was busy doing some things on the outside:

fixing some bikes,
making the STAF play music,
looking for bugs in a washing machine's software (at FFS),
making digital copies of recordings from 1992-2000 which are on video cassettes (now they'll be safe even if someone eats the tape!),
making some drawings,
trying to find out why this fix isn't working any more ant the computer only sees 1.5MB from the 2MB,
observing and simulating video signals,
and so on.

lmjb1964 wrote:Thank you for your work on the conference proceeding, Sustainabilizer. Although it reminds me that I have been woefully unhelpful even with regards to my own paper. :oops:
Welcome to the unhelpful club.
I wanted to write something based on my speech, After 1.5 year still didn't do it.
Recently, I was supposed to have 2 weeks of free time. I planned to do this then. But some outside happened instead.
The new plan is to do it this month.
I should do this soon because a deadline is coming. Everything must be ready before this year ends!

lmjb1964 wrote:Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's balthasar? Seems I haven't seen him recently.
Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's mrob27? Seems I haven't seen him recently.

Redundant
Spoiler:
fixomebike.JPG
fixomebike.JPG (53.26 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
drawsome.JPG
observideo.png
observideo.png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 9437 times
symu1.PNG
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Re: 1190: "Called for light"

Postby addams » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:00 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Wistfully, finally,
spacecraft Rosetta will
on this Bananadip
land on its head.

Deir-el-Medina-ish
Landing's T** E**.

Lazily wastily
sad shade of overcast
rain pitterpatters and
thus blocks the view.

Such are laments of a
meteorologist
then bothers you.

I fall into the links of Time.
Rosetta

One link leads to another.
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space ... _questions
From Frequently asked Questions about Rosetta:
Spoiler:
Why aren’t you planning to descend directly into a pit?
In order for Rosetta to take the best possible images during the descent, the spacecraft and targeted touchdown point need to be in sunlight, in order to generate power and be illuminated, respectively. The interiors of the pits on Comet 67P/C-G are dark when not directly in sunlight. Plus, in order to ensure that the final data are sent back to scientists, the spacecraft needs to be in line-of-sight visibility until touchdown. So, while the pits will be targeted for imaging during the descent, the actual touchdown is planned to take place adjacent to one of them. However, given the uncertainty in the precise touchdown point described above, there is at least the possibility of ending up in a pit.
there is at least the possibility of ending up in a pit.

(oh, sigh..) How true. How true.

Oh! It is a new day filled with new challenges.
..Noo..I face old challenges with a new tool.

Boring Story:
Spoiler:
Spider webs are 'Special'.
We have covered the subject extensively on these or related forum.

Spider Web are So very interesting and potentially valuable,
We, as in Not Me, made a Goat that gives Spider Web Milk.
To solve this problem, Randy Lewis, a professor of molecular biology at the University of Wyoming, and other researchers decided to put the spiders’ dragline silk gene into goats in such a way that the goats would only make the protein in their milk.
http://phys.org/news/2010-05-scientists ... k.html#jCp

In my day-to-day life, I encounter spider web and traditional producers of spider web.
"AHHH! It's A Spider!" No. I am not Arachnophobic. Spiders have their place; Not here.

(Five Horses Battery Staple Coffee Cancer Babies)
In my box is a vacuum cleaner that says it has the Power of Five Horses.
Five Horses pulled through a narrow, (1.5 inch) hose should be Strong.

This is a miraculous machine. It can be used without a bag.
Dirt, leaf debris and wood chips will not fill and clog the filter.

Yes! The machine removes spider webs from surfaces. Yey!
I think it should be used with a bag for spiderwebs.

Spiderwebs are 'special'.

After 15 mins there was nothing in the collection bin.
I was so surprised! Where did it all Go!??

The webs stayed airborne and went to the filter.
The poor little filter was overfull with webs.

That's my story.
And; I'm sticking to it.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

lmjb1964

Re: 1.5

Postby lmjb1964 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:21 pm UTC

thunk wrote:Wistfully, finally,
spacecraft Rosetta will
on this Bananadip
land on its head.

Deir-el-Medina-ish
Landing's T** E**.

Lazily wastily
sad shade of overcast
rain pitterpatters and
thus blocks the view.

Such are laments of a
meteorologist
then bothers you.

Steakish!

And addams: Yay for winning the Spider Wars! Good thing there was no bobcat. That would have been less useful for combatting spider webs, I think.

balthasar_s wrote:

?
Look, I'm standing right here!

There you are! Hi!

balthasar_s wrote:
Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's mrob27? Seems I haven't seen him recently.

That's true. Did I hear him say something about starting grad school? I meant to ask him more about that. I'll have ask him next time he stops by.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:49 pm UTC

There is one more set of Torgos journal pages, nearly written; and another that needs to be.

But I can't put two updates on the one NP!

It feels greedy.

Maybe I am greedy?

Both the writing and the reading take up large amounts of Time.

Time is unidirectional; once taken it can't be given back.

Like a shower.

lmjb1964

I'M SORRY CUEBALL, I'M AFRAID I CAN'T DO THAT.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:04 am UTC

NP are coming fairly slowly lately, so I don't think you should worry about two updates on one NP.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:18 am UTC

Spoiler:
higgs-boson wrote:Time is fading away. Although Time Lord Randall is known for fooling all living on regular basis, my believe in a close-to-eternal Time faded as quickly as our newpix are fading now.

Some long time ago, I wished Time to end, just for the matter of Time's ending - no "need" to follow Time anymore, no waste of own precious time to follow the development. But it wasn't waste. A heckling rant last week pointed that out in emphasing on how much of a waste of time this comic, this forum needle-pulled-thing, is. It wasn't waste, and it still isn't. In sharing thoughts, in experiencing the (I still have to grin) longest strip-tease ever. In drifting off topic, touching issues of serious business, and coming back to speculations on which pixel would drop next, I experienced a remarkable community. We do not have much in common - For most, it's just watching the same comic evolve (maybe some share a little bit of nerdiness, as well). But for over a month, the comic did the trick. And I even learned a fistful of new things.

I have no mixed feelings. In fact, my feelings are unusally clear, but, as usual, I'm not the kind of guy who's good at telling about feelings. At the moment, this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlXoxSUPQ0 resembles pretty much of it.

I will wait for Time to end or our dear Blitzgirl to arrive in the needle-pulled-thing present, whatever will happen last.
But this is my good-bye, anyway. It will have been a good Time. Thank you, Randall. And thank you, all.

the loved close to heart
not meant to last eternal
all Time is precious

Lucia wrote:I followed the comic and this thread for a while, then grew bored. Ultimately I think I made the right decision, as the comic has slowly changed less and less, while the thread has not exceeded its early heights of madness/awesome. But I check some days, and wethoughtthiswouldendatAprilFools, and today I caught up a little on what had been happening: almost nothing. But.
She's saying goodbye. She's saying goodbye, not to a person, but to the castle. She's saying goodbye to the thing she built from sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies, raised from the plane of sand/snow/ground coffee/cancerbabies into the sky, protected from the Sea when it began to rise... she's saying goodbye. I don't think she's coming back. Mock me as an apocalyptist or a Loopist, but I don't think she's coming back. That tiny bye, the bag on her back, the tilt of her head: it tells me that she isn't coming back. Not here. Not to this. Who knows. Maybe the two of them will build a mighty wall further up, a stalwart bulwark against the sea, but this castle? No. It is to be left to the sea. This is more tragic than any single darkening pixel. This:
:cry:
This is ending.

CatHectic wrote:
RobIrr wrote:In the Time that Time has been going, I've come to feel that I know, and am fond of, so many of you. I'm not a prolific poster (only #57 apparently) but I've stuck it out - I never really bothered much with these forums before, just nipping in if I didn't immediately 'get' a comic; this needle-pulled-thing however, has become a permanently open tab in my browser, and is the first thing I catch up on in the morning! I don't look directly at the comic itself; that'd be a spoiler! I prefer reading the commentary on the way to it :D

May Randall have mercy on us, and may Time continue indefinitely.

Thank you for saying so well what I feel (and how I Wait for Time!)

Swein wrote:My penny's worth on what "Time" is about (for me):
When a child I dreamt about projects such as this sand castle. To build something great and glorious. The dream never came true though. My power was too small, my knowledge was too limited, and me and my friends patience and endurance was far too short (especially my friends...). As I grew older it came within the reach of my capabilities to make such grand projects that I had dreamt of as a child. But by then the dream had faded away, and I had gone to pursue other goals in life. To me this Comic is about this childhood dream, that was great but faded away as time passed by, and I am La Petite watching in awe... :cry:
StratPlayer wrote:Etided to add: AND WELCOME BlitzGirl!!!!

It is bittersweet to have you finally join us as Time is fading away. I rejoice at your arrival, but am saddened that we may not have much Time left...

And call me sentimental, but I for one refuse to add any fading to my postings... It just hurts too much....

Wow, the fading has really brought out the sentimentality in people.

CatHectic wrote:
Spoiler:
So far I have 137 tracks on the xkcd Time Travel Mix on Spotify. I've collected 118 musical suggestions up through Newpage 193; minus dupes and unavailable tracks, those suggestions have resulted in 73 individual tracks on the playlist. (The other 64 tracks are suggestions from post-Newpage 400 in the thread and not yet attributed on the wiki page, or from my own encounters with temporal songs in my searches along the way. Those are listed after the Quartet for the End of Time tracks which make a nice visual marker for me.)

Are any of you listening? (The Spotify service is free if you can live with ads every three or four songs; if there's any interest I'll see about putting a Youtube playlist together too, once I'm further along.) Feedback would be welcome:

* ​I've used my intuition to select the most Timely representative song for the mix when a contributor has suggested only an album or artist. Please suggest (on the wiki page) if you have better ideas!
* Similarly, on the Spotify playlist I've substituted covers or tribute perfomances for pieces that aren't available for streaming -- suggestions for different or additional substitutes are welcome.
* I've included multiple versions of some songs, when I thought they each had something going for them. Opinions on this choice? Fun or annoying?
* I've used my musical licence (right here in my wallet!) to add a few songs for post references that might or might not have been intended to allude to a musical piece. 8-)

(also, Michael Buble's fun enough but isn't usually my preferred cup of tea, but damn if the song BlitzGirl used as inspiration ("Haven't Met You Yet") hasn't taken up residence in my brain....help!)

edited to add youtube links
(Paraphrased:Are any of you listening to the XKCD Time Travel playlist? Feedback would be welcome)

Indeed I am, although I have rearranged some of the songs and added others. Y'all have excellent taste in music. *tips hat*

Holy Wall Of Spoilers, BlitsGirl's Alive!
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Quest progress: 425 out of 438 pages.
The Fading. NP 924.
TL;DR - I was too out of breath from sprinting through the Thread of Time to chat, even through signposts! But I'm almost there!

...I would say, Onward! but I really need a break right now. I'm currently under 20 newpages away from the Present, though, so I hope to see you all soon! :D

I turn back now to read all the lovely accidental haikus; Angelastic took the time to collect and post them and if BlitzGirl read them all, it's the least I can do to follow suit.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:14 am UTC

Greetings, GnomeAnne! Love the avatar. Welcome to the madness.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:09 am UTC

Nice hat, GnomeAnne!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 am UTC

Woot, Only fifty more pages until 512!
And lo there was much rejoicing in The Needle-Pulled-Thing as BlitzGirl joined the fray.
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I have seen many wonders on my Quest, and this I have learned: Time is not absolute. Though dedicated forum-dwellers may debate names to a Period fresh to their eyes, a weary wanderer may come to the same TimeFrame many longpix later seeing it as but a flash in the long, long thread of Time. While some among us hold fast to the heels of the Now, posting with immediacy and brevity, there are still others at the same moment following 10 newpages back, or 50, or 300. Those of us who experienced the great Fading in real-Time have shared an experience those that follow will never quite match, just as we ourselves cannot comprehend the madness that struck in the early quickpix, or during the Madness itself.

Yet these divisions do not separate us, but make us more powerful. As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.

Thus Spake BlitzGirl. And as it has been spake, so forevermore shall it be remembered, and considered through all Time, and all of time. I will add, speaking as merely a humble supplicant to Time, that after I waited for it, and came back to this reading from the Gospel of BlitzGirl for a second time, that it was even more meaningful and insightful then it was in real time.

Your quest has served you well, and it has served us well too. Long may it continue.

And now, for all of you who wait for it, my contribution to the hymnal - a song from Godspell, which seems to be quite appropriate for these most recent Newpix:

"Where are you going?
.. Where are you going?
.... Can you take me with you?
for my hand is cold, and needs warmth...
Where are you going?"

from the song "By My Side", from Godspell, by Stephen Schwartz.

Jose

ucim wrote:Welcome BlitzGirl! I have been Waiting For It since the Beginning Of Time, and have done so in humble and quiet contemplation. But the glorious culmination of your quest has made me realize that, just as without black there is no white, and without the sea1 there is no shore, thus also without sound there is no silence.

You have Waited For It in a way that no other has, and that few others ever will. That is of course a personal blessing for you (which I envy, since I have not always been fully in the moment myself, even as I was experiencing Time in real time). But what is far greater than that is that by not being silent you have left behind a truly Holy Book - the Gospel of BlitzGirl - which shall be an inspiration for generations to come as they seek to experience Time after time has moved on.

In witness thereof, as Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction, do I hereby consecrate the Gospel of BlitzGirl, to be counted among the Most Holy Records, along side the Book of Aubron, the Book of Geekwagon, the The Wiki Of Time, and the uncollected charts that have yet to be assembled into a proper Book.

And I consecrate you, bestowing upon thee the title of BlitzGirl. Note that in this usage BlitzGirl is a title, not a name. Even as we speak there are others who are pursuing the same quest as the one you so brilliantly consummated. You are BlitzGirl the First, and they shall acquire the title "BlitzGirl the Next" when they complete their pilgrimage.

And now, O Exalted One, I have a query, a place in my soul where I hope for enlightenment, should it perchance come. Having gone through the unique experience of your Most Holy Quest, an experience which most of us have not been blessed with, what words of wisdom do you, from your unique perspective, have to offer us mortal souls as we Wait For It?

Contemplate the question if you wish - there is no need to rush (and no expectation that you have words at the ready for such a deep question). We'll wait for it.

May you be blessed with much time, and much Time, for which to wait.

Jose
1 or the river

woods wrote:I have been lurking since the beginning of Time (Us lurkers are hiding around every corner). I was there for the single darkening pixel, for the mini-trebuchet, for the journey of Blitzgirl, and for the fading.

I just want to say one thing. Blitzgirl: Thank you so much for going on that journey, watching Time fade away slowly while you were silent was completely agonizing. By nature, I do not ever worry about anything, but I was worried that you would not catch up to the present before Time faded away. I was almost scared that you would get to the present, and Time would be over before you got there. This morning I checked the NewPix and saw white, I immediately rushed to the Book of Aubron and confirmed the fade out. Checking the OTT showed about 15 NewPages, I knew you had not checked in since about NewPage 415, and I was so worried. I carefully scanned through the pages for any update of yours. The NewPix slowly got whiter and whiter, and still no update. Then, a signpost! You had trudged through most of the NewPages! I got so excited, adrenaline was actually pumping as I watched NewPix approach #FFFFFF, hoping you would make it in time. *Imagine a movie is about to end, and the main character was rushing out of the exploding building, but we do not know if he made it yet or not because the smoke has not cleared*

Then a post by Blizgirl:
*stumbles out of Time vortex*

*blinks*

Wow. So this is Present Time, huh?

...Hi, everybody! :D

I almost cried, you made it home! You completed your journey! I am so happy you survived. Thank you, thank you so much for doing what had to be done, thank you for risking being stuck in the past. It was truly a rewarding experience to watch you travel.

And to everyone else: I think Time is almost come to an end, I expect it will be over entirely by the end of the week, if not in the next few days. So once again, thank you for participating, and giving me something to be a part of, even though I did not speak, I was still with you the whole way.

And I will continue to be with you, while we Wait For It...
Interestingly enough, there was a literal party that I was indeed late to, for it was over ere I arrived. I'll take some of that ale and bacon anyway.

StratPlayer wrote:
TheMinim wrote:I really am too lazy to read all of this thread. I haven't got the attention span. Good luck!

How sad... That's like saying, "I really am too lazy to live all of my life. Maybe someone else can just tell me what I've missed..."

Time (like life1) can only be experienced first-hand, moment-by-moment. You've been granted a wondrous gift in this needle-pulling-thingy -- the ability to re-live, Newpix-by-Newpix, each glorious instance of Time in all It's grandeur and beauty, and you can't be bothered because you're too lazy.

My heart weeps for you...

1 An Outsider term for the span of a human's existence when it is spent not involved in the One True Thread of the One True Comic.
It's so...*sobs*...so true.

And HAL 9000 joined Helper in being dead. But not Red Hal, for he wrote:In this forum signal-to-noise ratio is, I feel, important.

I have elected to begin reading in the present as well as the past.
I hope buffygirl won't be mad about my hat.
I'm looking forward to the new Torgos Novel coming out.
And now I must coma, for I am weary.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964

OH GLR HOW DID THIS GET HERE I AM NOT GOOD WITH GOATS

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:53 am UTC

Oh hey, I've been sigged! Though I didn't remember saying that. :D Glad you included the link, and I like your version much better. :)

Ah, I remember so well when BlitzGirl arrived in the present. I love reading blitzposts--brings back such wonderful memories, and quotes from OTTers and Time Waiters lost to the basement.

And I think buffygirl will be ok about the hat. She pretty much took down her shingle and others stepped in to handle millinery duties. It is a fine hat.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:40 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

addams

Re: 1190: "Lord High Toast"

Postby addams » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:01 am UTC

thunk wrote:Well that Prayer certainly codifies the need for diversity which I have believed in for a while now.

We're all in this together, even if there's the occasional drama.

Thank you, Thunk.
As the dark deepens in my world,
Your words comfort me.

Night Night Time...
EDIT:
From the Knees of My Nose to the Belly of My Toes.
Spoiler:
The title of a work of Art.
ok.ok.
I'll go to coma.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:44 pm UTC

Redundant:

balthasar_s wrote:making the STAF play music,
Baobabs.⁷
balthasar_s wrote:
Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's randompixbot? Seems I haven't seen him recently.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, where's randompixbot? Seems I haven't seen him recently.

Speaking of masters of <computery stuff>, hi, Sustainabilizer!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:07 am UTC

Steakish OTThercomic, Sustainabilizer!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:22 am UTC

This NP just seems to be going on and on forever...!

Or is it just me?

Hmm...

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:31 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:This NP just seems to be going on and on forever...!

Or is it just me?

It's just you.

And then it's not just you.

Simultaneously. Until we open the box.

(And I loved the OTTifcation, Sustainabilizer)

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 am UTC

But if you open the box, are you opening the box? Or are you opening what you think is the box, but it turns out that the thinkbox now happens to be in an alternate dimension, you're opening an entirely different box, and those boxes swap back when you close the box you opened? How would you know that it did(n't) happen exactly like that?

...By opening it again?

thunk

1190: "Ard Rí"

Postby thunk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:53 am UTC

Well, I'm goat so...

Looks pretty ginger to me.
troo dat

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”