1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

taixzo

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby taixzo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:59 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I've been checking my bottom for dix now

:azule:

And hooray, Rakhal! You're almost now!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 am UTC

Yey! to Time!
And Yey! To all of the Posters.

From the beginning of Time...
To You, You and You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6txKXb3w
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Complex Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

So I've been working on a thing. There's a lot of clicking and a bit of waiting for it. It's still in very early stages and doesn't have a save feature yet. But it's there to fiddle around with if you're bored or something.
http://timelessriver.net/hyperwaitforce/complexclicker/
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:54 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I've been working on a thing.
Interesting. A complex clicker!. A nice idea.

But I have to ask:
Why does it depend on Javascript which has to be loaded from other domains?
(I had to enable Javascript from ajax.googleapis.com and cloudflare.com to make it work).

Some time ago I told that someone from my FFS found my films. Recently I found out that most of the team I'm in (about 20 people) have seen them.

Also, speaking of hoddogs, I recently noticed a very interesting bug in a hotdog mod.

Also, the STAF; in the future it will reappear in a different context. I can't tell when. I did my part, now I can only wait.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Also, speaking of hoddogs, I recently noticed a very interesting bug in a hotdog mod.

:)
Your avatar in that forum looks LEML to me.

balthasar_s wrote:Also, the STAF; in the future it will reappear in a different context. I can't tell when. I did my part, now I can only wait.

For it?

I guess we'll have to
Spoiler:
press some button.
BlindLinking due to MoonMustard

Also, new OtherComic.
Back to fixing problems …
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:I guess we'll have to
Spoiler:
press some button.
BlindLinking due to MoonMustard
That's... not what I was thinking of right now.
Ok, so, maybe, two different contexts.
Also, that's not a mustard, just a regular IP address change.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:04 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:So I've been working on a thing. There's a lot of clicking and a bit of waiting for it. It's still in very early stages and doesn't have a save feature yet. But it's there to fiddle around with if you're bored or something.

I like the concept but think some kind of graphical representation would be helpfull for the mathematically less inclined.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:36 am UTC

Sciscitor wrote:I like the concept but think some kind of graphical representation would be helpfull for the mathematically less inclined.
Yes that's a feature I know is necessary and intend to create at some point.
balthasar_s wrote:But I have to ask:
Why does it depend on Javascript which has to be loaded from other domains?
(I had to enable Javascript from ajax.googleapis.com and cloudflare.com to make it work).
Commonly used javascript libraries are hosted offsite on content delivery networks such that large numbers of people can access them quickly. Some are used for layout and formatting.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:08 am UTC

addams wrote:Yey! to Time!
And Yey! To all of the Posters.

From the beginning of Time...
To You, You and You!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsa6txKXb3w
http://www.slang-dictionary.org/ wrote:Three-dog night:
Australian Slang
very cold night (from the practice of bushmen of sleeping with their dogs; the colder the night, the more dogs needed)
So treeish that you got to meet some of MSWFPFP!

Rakhal! So almost now! Yippee!

Eternal Density wrote:So I've been working on a thing. There's a lot of clicking and a bit of waiting for it. It's still in very early stages and doesn't have a save feature yet. But it's there to fiddle around with if you're bored or something.
Ooh - I feel dizzy....
And... is the speed of time variable?

balthasar_s wrote:Some time ago I told that someone from my FFS found my films. Recently I found out that most of the team I'm in (about 20 people) have seen them.
That sound like fun. Is it?

ETA: I saved up 100 C and bought a Bale Separator, but I still have 0 of them and the price has gone up (down?) to -120. Is that right?
ETA2: and now I've got one! :)
ETA3: Okay... I can see how this game could really do one's head in with a few more producers - a misstep among the competing equations would be like a judgment dip that you'd have no one to blame for but yourself.
ETA4: Where's Summer?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:15 pm UTC

ggh wrote:And... is the speed of time variable?

Of course. Sometimes it halves.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:37 pm UTC

How could I have forgotten! :oops:

ED, I shall molpy down wondering how you may choose to implement the Complex Caddy upgrade.
Hopefully I won't dream of this:
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

Hi! Everybody doing ok? I keep thinking I'll have time for OTTIng, but the Outside keeps pulling me out. Just stopping in and seeing all of your friendly avatars makes me feel good. Tomorrow is my last official day at my old job, so I'm frantically trying to finish up things. This wipend I'll be traveling to the Renaissance, where the internet is not so good. But next week, I'm hoping.

Miss y'all!

Molpy out.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

svenman

Postby svenman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:01 pm UTC

Hi Laura Mae! :D

I made a new OTTercomic:

OTTerly redundant
Spoiler:
Both images based on xkcd comic 473 "Still Raw" by Randall Munroe (published under CC-BY-NC 2.5), with text modifications by myself.

xkcd0473_madagascar.png

xkcd0473_redundant.png
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:15 pm UTC

Hi, svenman. Awesomeful ottification, and redundant ottification!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Two words, please.

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:43 pm UTC

Nice OTTercomic!

It's good to have backups.
Yesterday I was programming something (the two words interface) on the botcastle.
I made many small changes and recompiled after each one.
To recompile I pressed the up arrow, which showed the previous command "./make.sh" and then enter.
At some point I had to remove some files, I switched to another directory, removed the files, and switched back.
Next time I wanted to recompile I pressed the up button the wrong number of times. And then pressed enter without thinking.
And command that resulted from this was not "./make.sh" but "rm *"!
And so I removed all the files I was working on.
Luckily, the botcastle makes automatic backups.
With just one command "tar -zxvf eizm.tar.gz ./src/bsta" I recovered everything. Also the files that I modified after the backup was made were still open in the editor.

ggh wrote:I can't^H^H^H^H will wait for it!
What is a "cwill"?^H :wink:

I recently watched a video about "anti-piracy" protections before DRM. The word for 'before' ('przed') usually means 'before' or 'in front of'. But after such words as 'zabezpieczenia' ('protections') 'przed' means 'against'. So that part of the title 'zabezpieczenia przed DRM' actually also meant 'protections against DRM', not what the author intended :D

^H "can't" has 5 characters but there are only 4 "^H"s.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm UTC

Love the new redundanotakitties svenman! And the otty too. Been on the road, so not much OTTtime either, but I'm back and putting things away, which is only slightly more useful than putting things on top of other things.

ggh, when I first saw the tricked-out hearse picture, I though it had been smashed; it took a closer look to discern that the art on the side wasn't the shadows of impact customization. And addams, I knew that Jeremiah was a bullfrog; the only question I had was whether he was a European bullfrog or an African bullfrog. I did however learn (from the video lyrics) that he was a high night flier that would throw the wars away. Those were two words I never got. ("and the wars" => "in the world") I'm assuming the reported lyrics are correct; you can never be too sure!

balthasar_s wrote:^H "can't" has 5 characters but there are only 4 "^H"s.
Must be rural.
Spoiler:
There is an organization in the farm country of the US called the "4-H club". I assume the internet version is the "4 ctrl-H club"
In any case, that fifth ^H must have been ^H'd.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:58 pm UTC

I love this place.

I never knew those lyrics either. They were ones I would just mumble through.

Don't ever run for king, ucim. I think you'll be expected to know the difference between an African and a European bullfrog.

At any rate, he was a good friend of mine. I was a lonely child. :)

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:53 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Don't ever run for king, ucim. I think you'll be expected to know the difference between an African and a European bullfrog.
Well, I know the difference between a bullfrog and a bullhorn, and between a bullhorn and a shoehorn. So, that's two out of three. Maybe I can be the Jack. Or the joker.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:50 pm UTC

Un, I think you're already the joker... :twisted:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

"Accompanied by our tools and helperbots, we shall return to the Guest Apartments to watch the evening fireworks."

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:00 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Un, I think you're already the joker... :twisted:
You've been talking to First Cleric, haven't you!

Jose

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:42 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Hi! Everybody doing ok? I keep thinking I'll have time for OTTIng, but the Outside keeps pulling me out. Just stopping in and seeing all of your friendly avatars makes me feel good. Tomorrow is my last official day at my old job, so I'm frantically trying to finish up things. This wipend I'll be traveling to the Renaissance, where the internet is not so good. But next week, I'm hoping.

Miss y'all!

Molpy out.
Oh hey, we're going to a Renaissance too! Though something tells me it may not be the same Renaissance :lol:
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:Hi! Everybody doing ok? I keep thinking I'll have time for OTTIng, but the Outside keeps pulling me out. Just stopping in and seeing all of your friendly avatars makes me feel good. Tomorrow is my last official day at my old job, so I'm frantically trying to finish up things. This wipend I'll be traveling to the Renaissance, where the internet is not so good. But next week, I'm hoping.

Miss y'all!

Molpy out.
Oh hey, we're going to a Renaissance too! Though something tells me it may not be the same Renaissance :lol:

No, but GHW and his FP will be at the same one as June Bug, I think.

Odd question of the day, anyone here near Disneyland, and able to spend a day there in the next couple weeks?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

I hope your last day is wrapping up nicely! Have a molpish Time in the Way-Before-When!

svenman wrote:Image

OTTerly redundant
Spoiler:
Both images based on xkcd comic 473 "Still Raw" by Randall Munroe (published under CC-BY-NC 2.5), with text modifications by myself.
Baobabs, svenman, you are a beautiful, double-barrelled OTTercomic machine!

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:I can't^H^H^H^H will wait for it!
What is a "cwill"?^H :wink:
I thought someone might call me on that....

balthasar_s wrote:I recently watched a video about "anti-piracy" protections before DRM. The word for 'before' ('przed') usually means 'before' or 'in front of'. But after such words as 'zabezpieczenia' ('protections') 'przed' means 'against'. So that part of the title 'zabezpieczenia przed DRM' actually also meant 'protections against DRM', not what the author intended :D
Teehee!

I'm glad your rm * tale had a happy ending. Most of the stories I've heard in that genre are not so uplifting.

ucim wrote:Love the new redundanotakitties svenman! And the otty too. Been on the road, so not much OTTtime either, but I'm back and putting things away, which is only slightly more useful than putting things on top of other things.
But much more useful than putting things next to each other. My house is a monument to putting things next to each other, and then putting them on top of each other once it becomes unavoidable. It can be tough living in a monument.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Ghost Rider of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Postby Eternal Density » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:34 am UTC

Steakish svenman!

GGH, I wondered whether anyone would notice that. I haven't quite decided yet, but I have ideas.
But the last two dips were spent on http://faedine.sytes.net/crank
I want to make something that good!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:21 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:21 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:But the last two dips were spent on http://faedine.sytes.net/crank
That shouldn't be a problem:
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 9.59.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 9.59.20 PM.png (19.33 KiB) Viewed 11197 times

Ketchup from NP2517, where there was heaps of treeish names for usually boring US States:

macraw83 wrote:
ucim wrote:Yay Febrion! Been wondering where you've been to. Seems lately lots of people have taken to long pints. :) I suppose I've been guilty too. I've actually made some beer, but they've been short pints. I don't have pint bottles.
My wife just put her next beer in the fermenter a few xips ago, it'll be a mip or two before we bottle it though. She usually makes "short pints", but also makes a few "bombers" (22 oz, I think), so I guess those would be "long pints".
There's a beer I drink, Tui, that sells a dozen 745ml bottles in swappa crates. The bottle caps have little trivia questions and answers in them, often about cricket, but one I remember was about how many millilitres there are in a pint. It bothered me because the answer was obviously too high, and that's when I learned that there are different pints. The strange thing though, is the answer I remember them giving was 745ml, the same as the bottle, and I thought that I had found online that that wasn't wrong. Now, however, I'm not seeing any evidence of a pint that large. So am I misremembering their answer, or did I just fail to realize that they were making a funny about their beer size?

Febrion wrote:()Other than I'm just weirdtransistor
BJTNo, that would be wired
*snorts merrily*
*looks around to see if anyone heard*

Soup wrote:
svenman wrote:Night is falling where I am and the stars are coming out. Three bright stars are close together above the southern horizon, almost in a straight line. I noticed them already yesterday. Just from looking at them, I could tell that the lowest and faintest of the three is a fixed star, it twinkles with a reddish hue, and the other two are planets shining steadily even that low above the horizon. The lower and brighter of the two planets has a reddish hue too, I figured it had to be Mars.

Tonight I decided to look up what they are. I was right about Mars and about the other planet too, that one turned out to be Saturn. And the reddish fixed star is Antares. Let's enjoy the sight while it's still there!

Molpish, I noticed and looked up the same thing last nip!H "Star Chart" is my friend :P

H UT+5 give or take DST
Ooh, Soup! And I just noticed your location: The Comfy Chair. This called for a Google search, and of course the internet came through:
Spoiler:
and even exceeded expectations:
Spoiler:

iskinner wrote:
Whizbang wrote:Image

Nearly half way to this prediction. Has Dr. Seuss been OTTified yet? Will his work have been by the time I reach the future present, hopefully before the year 2020.
Hmm, there was talk... ergman's poem, BlitzGirl's version of The Foot Book, CD's quote, and BlueCrab intended to ottify Mr Brown Can Moo, Can You? It does kinda seem like something we should put on the todo list.

pelrigg wrote:This is just a quick stop. I have to be working on my trip to the State of The Fourteeners this wipend. (Let's put it this way: I'm going to be spending a dip plus on the "Grey Wolpy" and that's not the less-than-molpy part.)
Oh dear... did you survive okay?

Gingercat wrote:I laugh evilly and point my staff directly at her,
You should pick her some flowers, or write her a poem or something. I know she's immune, or whatever, and you were, like, saving her life and all, but still, chocolates or something is in order, no? Maybe a little hand-drawn card too... "Sorry the only way I could think of to help you was encasing you in a writhing swarm of bugs - I hope you didn't swallow any. You were epic out there - I love your style!"

So yes, I finally got to read CoT-6 - fantastic as usual! I want me one of those huts now. I wonder how you'd go about making sure that the area you were going to cast it in is mosquito-free before you conjure it up....
Agatha the Awesomeful

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:But the last two dips were spent on http://faedine.sytes.net/crank
That shouldn't be a problem:Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 9.59.20 PM.png

I'm playing at http://faedine.com/games/crank/b37/

It's about 12 hours since I started, and I've been playing for about 10 of those hours.

NO, I haven't deserted Q04B. I'll even update my sig. Tomorrow. Maybe.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:48 pm UTC

Oh, I see... thanks! I started to try it, but it bakes my sand. Also, I should molpy down.

I've been staying up watching things like the wingish
addams wrote:This is a narrated fictional short animation.
The narrator has a sentient 'Thing'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1JoliFXH74
and a neat video about flushing hundreds of pounds of mercury down a toilet, that was linked to on that page for some reason.

Good to see you MistyCat! I was thinking, it has been a while....
Agatha the Awesomeful

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: "Time": Redundancy is Molpish

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:It's good to have backups.

Yeah!

balthasar_s wrote:Next time I wanted to recompile I pressed the up button the wrong number of times. And then pressed enter without thinking.

Here's what I do to avoid that situation:
  • I don't press the “up” button a number of Times, but I press Ctrl+R to activate “reverse i-search” in the command history, then I type the beginning of the command I want to get back (usually “gcc” or “vi ” or “./”), and then Enter.
    That's about as fast as using “up”, but much safer.
  • I don't type “rm *” (or “rm -rf *”), but I do that from another directory, e.g. “rm foo/*” – even if I need to change to another directory for that.
But in any case you're right: Redundancy is molpish.
Image Help addams!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:[*]I don't press the “up” button a number of Times, but I press Ctrl+R to activate “reverse i-search” in the command history, then I type the beginning of the command I want to get back (usually “gcc” or “vi ” or “./”), and then Enter.

What is i-search, anyway?
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:51 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:What is i-search, anyway?

Incremental search.

As you type, the software searches for your pattern. Once it is found, you press Enter.
In the example above, I usually don't need to type out “gcc”; the “g” is enough. That makes it four key strokes (Ctrl+R, “g”, Enter), and they are different keys, so I can type them even faster than three times the “up” key plus Enter.

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

Spoiler:
Title text: Image

m2877 + “awake” image from Landing + text from m2658
Copyright © by GLR, CC-BY-NC 2.5 + parody

Redundant: XCF file
Image Help addams!

addams

Postby addams » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

ggh wrote:and a neat video about flushing hundreds of pounds of mercury down a toilet, that was linked to on that page for some reason.
oh,...dear...excuse me.
So, That is where that clip went.
I'll be more careful with clips in the future.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 am UTC

Steakish OTThercomic4, Sustainabilizer!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:36 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:Steakish OTThercomic4, Sustainabilizer!

Thanks¹!
Hmm… that reminds me of something … wait for it …

… okay, FTFM.
Spoiler:

Title text: I waited almost 7 newpix for 11 darkening pixels.

Redundant:
m2877 + “awake” image from Landing
XCF file
Image Help addams!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:11 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Image
Spoiler:
Title text: Image

m2877 + “awake” image from Landing + text from m2658

Redundant: XCF file
Aww - that's so sweet. :) It gives me the opposite feels of Spirit. Thank you!

lmjb1964 wrote:Ooooh, that's much easier than how I do it, which I won't even tell you because it will be like this.
Heh, I was thinking of that comic today as I set up a relay team of bags of frozen berries and peas to sit the laptop on so I could chromecast Sesame Street to the telly.

addams wrote:
ggh wrote:and a neat video about flushing hundreds of pounds of mercury down a toilet, that was linked to on that page for some reason.
oh,...dear...excuse me.
So, That is where that clip went.
I'll be more careful with clips in the future.
Ha! As I told someone about that video today, I realized I really should have linked it. Related or not, it is très treeish.
Here you go: mercury in a bowl.

Sustainabilizer wrote:Title text: I waited almost 7 newpix for 11 darkening pixels.
Teehee! :)
(for a few minutes I was afraid it was going to take me 7 newpix to find them)
Agatha the Awesomeful

Link

Re: Two words, please.

Postby Link » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:27 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
It's good to have backups.
Yesterday I was programming something (the two words interface) on the botcastle.
I made many small changes and recompiled after each one.
To recompile I pressed the up arrow, which showed the previous command "./make.sh" and then enter.
At some point I had to remove some files, I switched to another directory, removed the files, and switched back.
Next time I wanted to recompile I pressed the up button the wrong number of times. And then pressed enter without thinking.
Luckily, the botcastle makes automatic backups.
With just one command "tar -zxvf eizm.tar.gz ./src/bsta" I recovered everything. Also the files that I modified after the backup was made were still open in the editor.

Yeah, always check the command before hitting enter. I have a script I run regularly, and I usually run it using sh script.sh. I'm used to typing just sh and hitting Page Up and Enter (Page Up takes the latest command from history matching the leading characters up to the cursor). That usually works, because there's nothing else I run regularly that starts with sh. Except for that one time I'd typed shutdown -h now. I facepalmed pretty hard when I saw the "system shutting down" broadcast instead of my script's output. :P

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 am UTC

ggh wrote:
That shouldn't be a problem:Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 9.59.20 PM.png
Thjat didn't happen for me. I guess you'll have to annoy The Minim. However, that waiting hotdog doesn't work on my leopad because it's not programmed for touch controls, so I can't turn the crank. Unmolpish.
When I quoted your post the image turned into text. Is that a new fora feature or is it epsilon mayonaisse?

I'm moving some files from my leopad to my more seaish organised sand and...
I need to click things or purchase upgrades or boosts to get more MB/secs! Oh, hang on, this isn't a waiting hotdog :P

Redundant
Spoiler:
Moving file 1190 of 101043 to "Redundant"
Screenshot from 2016-10-02 22-13-30.png
dot dot dot

Oh yay, the file transfer finished at the same time as this post! Well except of this line.
ETA
MistyCat wrote:I'm playing at http://faedine.com/games/crank/b37/

It's about 12 hours since I started, and I've been playing for about 10 of those hours.

NO, I haven't deserted Q04B. I'll even update my sig. Tomorrow. Maybe.
Oh. Yes, that's the correct link. I thought it would go to the correct link from mine but I misunderstood since I hadn't realised at the time of linking that it was the version number. Sorry ggh.
Yes, it's awesomeful :D

addams

Postby addams » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

Good Afternoon Time;
The weather 'Broke'.

I've been sleeping and waiting and listening to the sound of the pouring rain.
Here is a very old catchy song from the rainy side of the Cascade Mountains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2Fu20X_KY

Many things I was waiting for are here in my real world.
My new best friend, Suck, has arrived to stay with me forever!

Suck's Story:
Spoiler:
You and you and you helped Laura Mae help me.
She helped me by sending Suck to live with me.

Suck is a Vacuum. Suck is Soo Great!
I live in a small clearing in a large forest.
This forest has large Spiders that make large webs in clearings.

Before Suck, I wiped the webs away each day.
The Spiders watched and waited, then rebuilt.

Now with Suck by my side, I remove both web and makers of webs.
Don't worry. The Spider group is not endangered and Suck works fast.

They never know what sucked them.
They 'pop' into another dimension.

I used to worry about killing Spiders and Flies.
Ellen told me not to worry. They don't die.

Ellen said, "He is dead in my kitchen.
He is not dead to him. He is still flying.

A shadow passed over him.
He is still flying or waiting or ..."

I don't know that Ellen was right.
I think of her each Time I impose my will on another creature.

Why? Because I read Tomas Paine.
He wrote, (paraphrased)
"The whole of my religious duty is to Love Mercy, Do Justice and Endeavor to make my fellow creatures Happy."

I love Suck!
He makes me Happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU
How could I not worry? I had loads of Big Spiders.

I actually had someone take my bed, one day.
(in the lyrics) It was so strange, I laughed.

AHH!! The largest and most common spider Suck and I tackle is NOT a native!!
Like the aggressive BlackBerry this Spider came here from Europe!! (Dang It!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus
http://www.wou.edu/~baumgare/European_Garden_Spider
Though intimidating to look at, the European garden spider has a mild bite that is harmless to humans.

Suck and I also face Black Widow, Funnel Web, Johnson Jumper and some unidentified arachnids.
The Johnson Jumpers rarely come indoors. I'm glad, because I like them. They are cute and friendly.

Photo of Johnson Jumper
https://www.google.com/search?q=Johnson ... AsPwMTM%3A
Oh. Oh. The weather 'Broke'.
It has been a long dry summer.

We in the West of the US, had a quiet fire year, for us.
well...Considering how dry it has been.

The weather 'Broke' with a little more than two days of rain.
We had 'Cloud Bursts', Lightening and Thunder. Impressive!

I went into Town.
As I drove past a transformer, it blew.
Sparks rained down onto the pavement like fireworks.

In the past, thunderstorms were rare on the north pacific coast.
We rarely had enough difference in temperature and humidity to form proper storms.

I loved our weather.
'cause, It was boring.

It was cool like Spring until it changed to be cool like Fall.
Two weeks of Cold to keep us grateful. No Summer; Ever!
...Repeat.

Trigger Warning:
Spoilered for Extreme Weather.
Spoiler:
U-Tube has something to say about everything.
Weather has changed, because climate has changed.

I was wondering about how the weather was 'Breaking' for others.

Fall in the North.
Spring in the South.

This clip shows two weeks of 'Bad Weather'.
September 16 to September 30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8wE_mxFUHY

There was a lot of Good Weather during that two weeks.
It was nice, nice, nice here during that Time.
Thank you, Time for being you.
I'll go back under my rock, now.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

Re: 1190: "thunkwetter"

Postby thunk » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 pm UTC

In contrast to addams' my weather has been rather placid in the last fortnight, to say the least--though with a bit of a drought incipient.
Current conditions (this might update every 83 mNP):

Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”