1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

1190: Time: YES BLACK BUN, THERE *IS* A TRILOBOLPY.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:33 am UTC

nopixbot wrote:

Code: Select all

check.goat: no 'full/2532.txt.gz' exists, still in goat mode

(_(
                             /_/'_____/)
            No newpage yet   "  |      |    Waiting some more...
                                |""""""|
Lastpost is 2531:39
  20161118.20:35:10 Suspect a newpage, sleeping 1/7 as much: sl(323)
Yes, things are still mrobly. I'm just hidden amongst the shadows m̷u̷s̷t̷a̷r̷d darker pixels. (And catching Pokémolps...)

Decree: Wait on...
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:45 am UTC

A pope-making bot?!!
Would that be a Conclave Bot?
And if you set it to post a goat, would it be a Convlex Bot?

Good to see you, mrob!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

karhell

Postby karhell » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:49 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:
taixzo wrote:
karhell wrote:Timezones might make this a tad complicated, but if any OTTers want to try/get back into D&D, we could probably organise something via skype/roll20.

...I would be interested in that.

Add the first of hopefully a few "me too"s to that.

Febrion wrote:Me too! [...]

EDITED TO ADD:
p.s. if this does happen, my only request is that addams is in charge of narration - I don't know if she has any interest in being DM, but if not I hope whoever does can channel her pure genus in painting a scene

Cool ! That's four people so far (myself included). I think we can follow the First Commandment for another wip or so, just in case others who hadn't noticed would be interested. Then we can get on with the figuring out where, how, and more importantly when to make this happen.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mrob27

1190: Time: DIAL T FOR THEMINIM__S

Postby mrob27 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:34 am UTC

ggh wrote:A pope-making bot?!!
Would that be a Conclave Bot?

Oh, no, the bot doesn't post anything. I don't trust my programming ability enough to even consider the idea of making something that logs in, stores cookies, etc.

The script notifies me of goat mode, and if I notice said notification, I can (manually) post something.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:19 am UTC

@ggh: For a "beautiful day", that is a lot of wind. I cannot fathom living somewhere that has that much wind consistently, but I suppose I would probably get used to it like I've mostly gotten used to the snow.

karhell wrote:
Gingercat wrote:
taixzo wrote:
karhell wrote:Timezones might make this a tad complicated, but if any OTTers want to try/get back into D&D, we could probably organise something via skype/roll20.

...I would be interested in that.

Add the first of hopefully a few "me too"s to that.

Febrion wrote:Me too! [...]

EDITED TO ADD:
p.s. if this does happen, my only request is that addams is in charge of narration - I don't know if she has any interest in being DM, but if not I hope whoever does can channel her pure genus in painting a scene

Cool ! That's four people so far (myself included). I think we can follow the First Commandment for another wip or so, just in case others who hadn't noticed would be interested. Then we can get on with the figuring out where, how, and more importantly when to make this happen.
I knew there was something I wanted to add to my last post... If such a project were undertaken, I would gladly join. Now, there's just the matter of who would be the DM...
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

balthasar_s

before

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:28 am UTC

Have you noticed?

In the 2 words interface,
below the game that is currently being played you can see the results of the previous games.
But not all of them.
Only four.
If you want to see the previous ones you have to click the "before" link on the bottom of the page.
Currently, the number of stories on a page is four.
What do you think, what is the optimal number of stories on a page?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

macraw83

after

Postby macraw83 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

I think 4 stories may be enough on a page, at least until the sheer number starts to grow.

I also noticed there is no "after" button on the "before" pages. Is that intentional?
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm UTC

I like Public Service Announcements.

It is Time for all good Men, Women and Children
to know Where the battery operated lights are.

And; It may be Time to change batteries.

The Days are Dark and Dreary.
The Nights ...Nevermore, Lenore.

Longfellow February 27, 1807, Portland, ME -March 24, 1882, Cambridge, MA
The Rainy Day

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;

The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,

And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;

My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,

And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;

Your fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,

Some days must be dark and dreary.

Poe...
Spoiler:
[spoiler] ahhh!
’Tis the wind and nothing more!”

Quoth the Raven “Nevermore.”
With such name as “Nevermore.”

Then the bird said “Nevermore.”
Of ‘Never—nevermore’.”

Meant in croaking “Nevermore.”
She shall press, ah, nevermore!

Shall be lifted—nevermore!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Congrats on finishing the greenhouse, and having it still stand! More pictures, please.

I'm hoping that you finishing that project after hearing you talk about the various unfinished projects will inspire me. For a while i've been collecting bricks from a website call Freecycle, where people post stuff they don't need anymore. I have a very small area that I want to make into a brick patio. I didn't have enough bricks to do it, so it was easy to put if off. I just recently got more than enough bricks. Now I'm hoping to find the motivation to actually do it. I did, however, manage to finish two other inside projects--fixing my hoop petticoat and making a skirt for the Dickens Fair tomorrow. (The DIckens Fair is like the Renaissance Fair, but with fancier clothes and less dirt.) I wanted to make a jacket to go with the skirt, but since the Fair is tomorrow, that seems unlikely. I did whip the skirt out in a couple of hours, but it was pretty simple.
Thanks! - I'll try to get a picture soon. And I want to see a picture of the hoop petticoat and skirt - that sounds treeish as the dickens! A big part of me finishing the greenhouse was the encouragement I got here, so you should make sure to keep us updated about your patio. :)

macraw83 wrote:@ggh: For a "beautiful day", that is a lot of wind. I cannot fathom living somewhere that has that much wind consistently, but I suppose I would probably get used to it like I've mostly gotten used to the snow.
For someone who lived in Ithaca for eight years, I feel embarrassed at how I now fear true winters with snow. The wind does get me down a bit here... you go to the beach in summer and then have to pick a spot just downwind of a building so the sand isn't always blowing into your eyes. But yesterday the Little Wonder and I went to a playground nestled against a steep slope and didn't notice any wind at all. I think the spring is a little windier than the other seasons, but it's not a day-and-night difference. On the plus side, there is like ZERO air pollution. :)

balthasar_s wrote:Have you noticed?

In the 2 words interface,
below the game that is currently being played you can see the results of the previous games.
But not all of them.
Only four.
If you want to see the previous ones you have to click the "before" link on the bottom of the page.
Currently, the number of stories on a page is four.
What do you think, what is the optimal number of stories on a page?
Four looks nice. I was going to suggest that Before might not really belong beside Once again, since you have to use Once again to play 2 words, but then I got distracted by BSTA, as you intended, which led me to Coincidence, which you alluded to in a subject header six days ago, around when you made it. You alluded to 2words early in October in this subject and talked about how you switch between your internal and external IP addresses, which maybe is RELATED? I don't know. Also, I don't know what to put in the box.

Clever folks, could you look at this?: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin/

addams - here are some squirpies :)
Spoiler:

Edit: accidentally said subjects instead of IP addresses
Last edited by ggh on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Re: after

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:I think 4 stories may be enough on a page, at least until the sheer number starts to grow.

I didn't want the page wher you play the game to be too tall.
But if the number of stories becomes bigger I also don't want it to require many clicking.

Obvious solution (why didn't I think of in before?):
3 or 4 stories on the default page,
more stories on next pages.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:42 am UTC

ggh wrote:addams - here are some squires :)
Spoiler:

Thank you for the squires.
I need them, because I have scary weather;
Like you do, too.
Spoiler:
I don't know what it is!
It rumbles and roars!

Thunder?
Only thunder?

If I had a dog,
I'd be under the bed with the dog.

AHH! Lightning!
but..but..but..
The Thunder is supposed to come After the Lightning!
Back to your story balthasar_s.
I'll try to pay better attention.
I'll try to not interrupt, again.

oops** interrupting with more weather:
Spoiler:
The Lightning and Thunder ripped the sky open.
All the water is falling out.

Yep. I looked.
That must be All the water the sky can hold.
It is falling out of the sky onto the sea.

(poor me. me and piglet and the squires.)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:44 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Don't say that! The idea of lost unmatched parens out there might bug BlitzGirl so much that she'll decide to go searching in the past to find and correct them. We want her in the present. Here, have a bunch of closed parens to get everyone's mind off of it:
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

It's oddly relaxing doing that.

Thanks! It's nice to know that in this messy world, there is at least one perfectly well-balanced line of text.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:11 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

It's oddly relaxing doing that.

Thanks! It's nice to know that in this messy world, there is at least one perfectly well-balanced line of text.

Nooooooooo! That's not balanced at all - it's a bunch of closed parenthesis, and now we're lopsided against the opened parenthesis!
)( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )( )(

Ahhhhhh! Much better!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Video Strike Team Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:05 am UTC

Whoios, forgot about yall for a wip cos Desert Bus X was happening.
It's very molpish and funny and silly and heartwarming.
Here's a tiny taste https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZBRQ6N3pc
The highlights are on youtube and the whole run on Twitch. But it's 160 newpix of video.

Oh and GrapeChannel is live, replacing GrapevineGrapevine, but I need to make a thing so people can use it without providing email addresses.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

The making of t-1: The Beginning

Postby taixzo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:16 am UTC

BEGINNING THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM AUGUST 2015

I've modeled the city, and it's time to render the first scene. I want a zoom in from space, to place the hidden images.

*a bit of fiddling around in Blender later*

Turns out it's a real pain to model something the size of a planet. Especially if it needs to blend well with things that aren't the size of a planet. I know that Kerbal Space Program dealt with this be having a separate copy of the solar system, scaled down to 1/12 scale, that gets swapped in when you go far from a planet. I think I will use a similar idea and make a very small Planet Earth in another scene, and zoom into that instead.

What does Earth look like from space in the year 3000? Well, let's assume that if we've managed to completely screw up the climate in 150 years, and then don't do anything for another 50, the remaining 950 years will be enough to mostly fix it. So the greens and browns will be basically where they are on the current Earth. However, I want cities to have expanded to huge amounts - think Los Angeles sized cities on all the coastlines. So I need to replace the coast with bigger cities.

I also need to cheat the time a little bit. I want to zoom into the earth at daylight, so the whole thing is visible, but the actual closeups of the city need to be just before sunrise.

Finally - I need a sign to let cars know the bridge is closed. But - what should it say? What language even should it be in? In the last thousand years, English has changed so much as to be completely unrecognizable. Languages of the area - Spanish, French, Italian - arose out of Latin. And the languages spoken in particular areas have changed significantly as well.

Well, in the year 3000, globalization has taken hold. Currently the lingua franca is English; so let's suppose the language of the future is largely English, with some Spanish and perhaps a bit of Mandarin. Given the progress with digitizing everything, there will be a huge amount of data that is interacted with frequently that uses language from centuries past; so perhaps language change has slowed. The main problem with English is how inconsistent it is, especially with spelling. Hmmm...

[skip a week or two]

*lightbulb* I should use the writing system I developed all those years ago! We will assume there was a standardization effort at some point which created a new alphabet to record data consistently between languages. The neat thing is that it sort of looks like Beanish, too, so perhaps the Beanies are writing with the script as it has evolved over the next 9,000 years.
...But how to write it? Handwriting will not look good on signs and such.

The solution: create a font! There is an awesome website called Glyphr, which lets you build a font, complete with all the little things I need such as ligatures. I can draw all the letters once, then when I need to make a sign or something, simply type it out in GIMP.

Let's see, what should the first sign say? Obviously a last-minute sign like this can't tell people that they need to drive all the way around the Mediterranean. Perhaps there's a under-sea tunnel, as well. Let's put it at Ceuta, at the other end of the strait.

"Gibraltar Bridge closed. Use Ceuta tunnel."

Because I am deciding what happens, I can choose how consonant/vowel shifts happen so that they're easier to write with the new alphabet. Let's make all G/J's soft, and remove any non-essential vowels before R's and L's. (The latter is sort of happening already.)

"Zhibraltr Brizh klowsd. Yws Siwta tanl."

And now we can let this render.

...Hmm, it takes around 15 minutes per frame, and it's still noisy. The noise I can live with, because we need to dither it anyway. But that lets me know I will have to do images in large batches.

[skip forward to the beginning of September]

Final step: draw the black-and-white images that people will actually see. My plan is to have it pretty slow and not doing much for a while. Then at some point someone may figure out the secret, or I'll have to reveal it, and it will turn out there was a second story hidden underneath all along! (Like we thought Randall might have done at one point, but he didn't.) The process is pretty simple: have a giant XCF with the whole scene in it. Have one layer with just the border in it. When I'm finished with a frame, I crop the image to the border layer, export it to a new image, and undo. (I messed this up a bunch of times - exporting over the last frame and having to re-make it, or forgetting to undo and realizing a few frames later that I've accidentally deleted everything outside the border.)

...How do I ONG the images without anyone knowing who it is? I asked mscha, and the solution was to put the images in a folder where newpixbot could find them. So, I put them on my website, in a folder with no link to it. They've been in http://taixzo.com/t-1 ever since I started uploading them. Newpixbot would check the folder every 4 hours and ONG the next image.

I need a way to secretly encode the colormap information. The frames use an 85x3 palette. bftf did not need a key, because with only three or four colors you could put ones in by hand. I suppose the best way is to hide it in the hash of the image.
*proceeds to try and upload the images to the server, gets an error*

After a bit of research, it turns out most filesystems, including the one my server was using, are limited to 255 characters. Unfortunately, because I need them to be valid filenames, I can't just name the frames with 255 bytes - I need to name them using text bytes, so I encode it as base64. 255 bytes encode to 340 bytes of base64 - longer than they are allowed to be. The solution: store the hashes in a text file. mscha modified Newpixbot to check the text file and grab the hash for the current image. (I call it a "hash", but it's not really a hash, is it.)

And now we wait...

END OF THOUGHT TRANSMISSION FROM SEPTEMBER 2015

RSIR
Spoiler:
earthtex-small.jpg

font.png
font.png (4.98 KiB) Viewed 10980 times
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am UTC

Awesomeful background story3, taixzo! Thanks for sharing!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

thunk

1190: "Tangierine Winter"

Postby thunk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:30 am UTC

Link may have been right after all. It went better than expected. But I've been too lazy and complacent in recent dips with schoolwork, and it shows.

Impressive, taixzo. I don't have the coding or art prowess to do half the things you did.
Turns out you don't need to make a whole conlang when it's just for atmosphere. Wise choice.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

karhell

Re: The making of t-1: The Beginning

Postby karhell » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:29 am UTC

taixzo wrote:"Zhibraltr Brizh klowsd. Yws Siwta tanl."
So the language of the future is basically Welsh? ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

@pelrigg - glad to hear your seawolpy CD arrived and was molpish to your ears!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mikrit

Re: 1190: "Time" (Sand garden: the song)

Postby mikrit » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:32 pm UTC

My neoblitz has taken me to the beginning of April 2016... oh, I am sorry for the heresy. I mean I am in the 2460s. I have admired taixzo's skill in making Sand Garden, and I have enjoyed your screenshots and narratives.

About when I ought to molpy down today, the Muse grabbed me and said "Not yet you don't". So, here is an ottified "I never promised you a rose garden" by Joe South (recorded by Lynn Anderson). It was strange that I could keep so much of the original lyrics. To actually sing it, though, you may have to syncopate and slur a little and, well, change the melody, but apart from that...

For taixzo:

Sand garden - the song

I beg your pardon:
I only promised you a sand garden.
But under the lampshine
you'll maybe find a little neat grapevine.
When you wait you must relax
so chill and eat snacks
and a do-oh-oh-oh-nut.
I beg your pardon:

I could promise you custard,
but there will be mustard.
You will find houses growing on trees and ladders,
not even gravity matters.
Oh, the trees that are swaying
are also delaying
whatever else you do on your Time Accessor:
so says the Professor.
But smile for a while and let's be molpy!
An OTTer should be like a happy wolpy.
Come along and share the good Time while we can.

I beg your pardon:
But under the lampshine
I beg your pardon:

b I found it necessary to assume that balthasar_s is a Professor, which I am not certain of, but I think it's entirely likely.

(Edited to fix typo.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:16 am UTC

Treeish ottification!
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:29 am UTC

Several things I've been meaning to reply to... some have slipped my mind but while I can still remember the rest of them, I wanted to say how treeish the mikrit Sand Garden was - I didn't even realize it was an OTTy - it was just as it should have always been. Also treeish (and in a literal sense too) is ggh's hothouse (there's another word for it, but alas, that has also escaped me). Not only treeish, but like unto a big tree, as it withstood a mighty wind that rent the mountains around and broke in pieces the rocks! (but not the garden). (two internets for the source) Glad to hear that all the NZ OTTers are safe.

We had a Mighty Wind once - it blew all the leaves away, scouring the ground so we didn't have to rake. It only happened once though, a few yips in the past. I raked today.

I love seeing how taixzo created his Time world - thought transmissions from the past are also treeish! (I wonder if there are any thought transmissions from the future -- wait wait, don't tell me! Baltmore!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:25 am UTC

Once more, Time is spinning in well greased grooves.

Taixzo; You exhibit both mind and skill.
Will you tell us more?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

next mornip did the bOTTifactors deign to grant an audience, and present their demands, worked out the previous wip and saved for the occasion:

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

addams

Postby addams » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:46 am UTC

balthasar_s !
You tell us more!

You have so much more to tell.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

Actually, it's mrob_s who has more to tell. That bOTTeriada story comes from me, and it is trickling out ever more slowly, thanks to my algorithm and the fact that I still haven't finished the next chapter (the one about dragons). Somedip, I promise :roll: Maybe during the intersession (4 weeks starting on the 17th Mystery) I'll be able to finish it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Whoios, forgot about yall for a wip cos Desert Bus X was happening.
The highlights are on youtube and the whole run on Twitch. But it's 160 newpix of video.
Oh - I've been educated about another meme - Yes-based - I must approve!

Glad to see you made it through the lightning, addams!

Woot! Great making of, taixzo! The font stuff is pretty treeish!
taixzo wrote:I've modeled the city, and it's time to render the first scene. I want a zoom in from space, to place the hidden images.

Turns out it's a real pain to model something the size of a planet.
Did you ever think, "hey, hold on - what have I gotten myself into? Did you spend roughly the amount of Time on this that you expected to, or was it much, much more?
However, I want cities to have expanded to huge amounts - think Los Angeles sized cities on all the coastlines. So I need to replace the coast with bigger cities.
So, how tall were those buildings?
The solution: create a font! There is an awesome website called Glyphr, which lets you build a font, complete with all the little things I need such as ligatures.
The ligatures were brilliant! Were they a part of your long-ago writing system, or a new addition to make it look cooler/be a bit trickier to decode?
Then at some point someone may figure out the secret, or I'll have to reveal it, and it will turn out there was a second story hidden underneath all along!
Did you have a plan for revealing it? "Oh hey xuys, look what I noticed!"?
When I'm finished with a frame, I crop the image to the border layer, export it to a new image, and undo. (I messed this up a bunch of times - exporting over the last frame and having to re-make it, or forgetting to undo and realizing a few frames later that I've accidentally deleted everything outside the border.)
Wow, that sounds painful....
They've been in http://taixzo.com/t-1 ever since I started uploading them.
Ballsy, taixzo. Ballsy.
The solution: store the hashes in a text file. mscha modified Newpixbot to check the text file and grab the hash for the current image. (I call it a "hash", but it's not really a hash, is it.)
If I had a dime for every Time I wanted to give Newpixbot and mscha a hug....

mikrit wrote:For taixzo:

Sand garden - the song

I beg your pardon:
Spoiler:
But under the lampshine
When you wait you must relax
so chill and eat snacks
and a do-oh-oh-oh-nut.
I beg your pardon:

I could promise you custard,
but there will be mustard.
You will find houses growing on trees and ladders,
not even gravity matters.
Oh, the trees that are swaying
are also delaying
whatever else you do on your Time Accessor:
so says the Professor.
But smile for a while and let's be molpy!
An OTTer should be like a happy wolpy.
Come along and share the good Time while we can.

I beg your pardon:
But under the lampshine
I beg your pardon:
Ha! Awesomeful! Have a do-oh-oh-oh-nut!
Spoiler:
I think I'll have Smile for a while and let's be molpy! playing in my head for a while....

ucim wrote:Also treeish (and in a literal sense too) is ggh's hothouse (there's another word for it, but alas, that has also escaped me). Not only treeish, but like unto a big tree, as it withstood a mighty wind that rent the mountains around and broke in pieces the rocks! (but not the garden). (two internets for the source) Glad to hear that all the NZ OTTers are safe.

We had a Mighty Wind once - it blew all the leaves away, scouring the ground so we didn't have to rake. It only happened once though, a few yips in the past. I raked today.
Raking... I remember raking.... I don't know if I've ever seen anyone rake in Wellington. But then it also helps that a good proportion of the trees here don't drop their leaves. Some folks complain about them dropping their flowers though. I think that's a pretty molpish problem to have. :)

I was using the term "greenhouse." Just this past Sunday, the Little Wonder said something that made me realize she was puzzled that it's not green. I think she's been expecting us to paint it for some Time.

ggh wrote:... which led me to Coincidence, which you alluded to in a subject header six days ago, around when you made it. You alluded to 2words early in October in this subject and talked about how you switch between your internal and external IP addresses, which maybe is RELATED? I don't know. Also, I don't know what to put in the box.

Clever folks, could you look at this?: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin/
So, looking at this, I see that if I enter something like chirpingmustard.com, it says "Invalid server ID", but if I enter numbers only, it reports "No active Coincidence server with this ID." I tried up to 100 and, of course, 1190. Anyone with computery stuff skills care to brute force this baby?
Agatha the Awesomeful

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
taixzo wrote:I've modeled the city, and it's time to render the first scene. I want a zoom in from space, to place the hidden images.

Turns out it's a real pain to model something the size of a planet.
Did you ever think, "hey, hold on - what have I gotten myself into? Did you spend roughly the amount of Time on this that you expected to, or was it much, much more?

The time that city took was about what I expected. Other things, though, took much longer...

ggh wrote:
taixzo wrote:However, I want cities to have expanded to huge amounts - think Los Angeles sized cities on all the coastlines. So I need to replace the coast with bigger cities.
So, how tall were those buildings?

The largest ones are about 6 km tall. Considering that there are 1 km buildings currently being designed, I don't think that's much of a stretch for 900 years of engineering progress!

ggh wrote:
taixzo wrote:The solution: create a font! There is an awesome website called Glyphr, which lets you build a font, complete with all the little things I need such as ligatures.
The ligatures were brilliant! Were they a part of your long-ago writing system, or a new addition to make it look cooler/be a bit trickier to decode?

They were always there. It was originally a system for handwriting; they allowed me to write faster, in a sort of half-cursive. (I actually spent about a week taking notes with the system, before the teacher asked me to stop because he couldn't read what I wrote.)

ggh wrote:
taixzo wrote:Then at some point someone may figure out the secret, or I'll have to reveal it, and it will turn out there was a second story hidden underneath all along!
Did you have a plan for revealing it? "Oh hey xuys, look what I noticed!"?

I didn't really have a plan. I figured I'd come up with something in time though.

ggh wrote:
ggh wrote:... which led me to Coincidence, which you alluded to in a subject header six days ago, around when you made it. You alluded to 2words early in October in this subject and talked about how you switch between your internal and external IP addresses, which maybe is RELATED? I don't know. Also, I don't know what to put in the box.

So, looking at this, I see that if I enter something like chirpingmustard.com, it says "Invalid server ID", but if I enter numbers only, it reports "No active Coincidence server with this ID." I tried up to 100 and, of course, 1190. Anyone with computery stuff skills care to brute force this baby?

I tried a few other guesses; no luck. It's not 3099, 2532, or any RNMs that I tried. Also decimals give "Invalid server ID."
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:58 am UTC

Why Randall? Why?
The forums went down for over an hour, then xkcd.com went down as well.
They were revived for a few minutes, and then went down AGAIN.
Fortunately, there's an ЯOЯЯIM TTO or I would have to resort to screaming and tearing my hair out.

The New OtherComic isn't up yet either, so I'll post something nice from where I'm at in the thread:

ttscp wrote:I'm going to talk about the OTT and the lack of flames.
Spoiler:
If you want to talk about the OTC, skip this post. I do think this post will be on-topic (as if anything in this thread is off-topic), but it does skim the edge.

It is one of the amazing features of this thread that we have had no flames in 28,000 posts. About 24 newpix ago, I followed a link from this thread to a light hearted article about Skynet taking over. Within two comments they were flaming.

So why don't we flame?

We have an unusual bunch here. We are articulate, intelligent, creative, xkcd followers. However that hasn't kept flames from starting in other xkcd fora (as an example, look at them arguing in Serious Business about what the Serious Business forum should be about).

There are over 900 posters. That's usually an invitation to flame. We humans can support an effective social group of about 150 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number), that is way higher than chimpanzee social group size of 15 to 120 (http://www.savethechimps.org/chimp-facts) and I've seen it ascribed to our need to establish where we belong in the group (or social hierarchy) by talking, where chimps do it by grooming. However, 150 is still low compared to 900.

While we go off on whimsical pursuits (poetry, hats, stories, self-made religions, etc) we stay away from the major causes of flame wars elsewhere. There are, I think, three contributing factors: the first is the tick of the OTC itself. Not that we are not capable of concentrated effort, it's just that the appearance of each newpix, with its attendant speculation about what might be happening, tends to derail any sustained emotional commitment to a flame. The second is the collaborative feel brought about by the continuing mystery of the OTC, and the third is our desire to protect the thread from flames, now that we done it so far.

I don't think we would have been able to do this without the mystery and continuing tick of newpix. As I noted above, each newpix causes speculation. Whether it is slow sea rise where we are examining pixels of an otherwise unchanged sandcastlescape, or bee-snakes and molpys, we jump all over it and speculate endlessly. We also entertain ourselves between newpix with the aformentioned distractions, but those alone don't derail things as effectively as a newpix.

The collaboration was established early. An example: when we first realized we might lose a frame, mscha programmed the newpixbot. Initially it was programmed to collect and publish the new ong as soon as it became available, but people complained they would have no chance to publish and comment themselves. So mscha graciously backed off and now the newpixbot posts 10 [heresy]minutes[/heresy] after the [heresy]hour[/hour]. I've seen that again and again in the OTT; the spirit is collaborative. Nobody seems worried about whether their stanza ends up in the Jabber-walky, just that we get the best product.

There are limits to collaboration. If I post and nobody pays any attention, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I am misquoted or feel I'm referred to disparagingly, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. If I have disagreements about what is proper etiquette for posting or what the direction of the OTT should be, I'm likely to get my nose out of joint. However, I need to remember, that it isn't personal. Everyone I have ever seen post in this forum has behaved nicely, even when they were irritated. I can light a match, but I'm better off letting it go out before I get burned, before I let my emotion take me over.

Case in point. I singled out mscha for a compliment above, so I'll use him as an example of something that irritated me. I quoted newpixbot to make a comment about the posted newpix. The response was "How very uninspired...", but the way he quoted, I couldn't tell whether he was talking about my post or the newpixbot ONG which was "DONGS". So I spent some time irritated, and then realized I couldn't tell what he was talking about, and it wasn't worth even lighting a match over. As I said, not personal.

Finally, we now have become protective of the thread. We act to keep flames from happening. SBN pointed out that we can resolve differences only if we know them. I think of that as a another reminder not to take things personally. You may not know that your opinion pushes one of my buttons. I opined in another post that contribution to the thread need not only be poetry, hats, images, graphs but can be just appreciation for one another; the social glue that reminds us that we are all part of the same group, human or bot.

Of course, since I'm emotional about the OTT, this very idea may be the one that I keep the match burning on.

Enough. I'm very happy to be part of this thread, and once again I appreciate all that all of you have done. I don't appreciate all the time it takes away from my Outside responsibilities, but I can't have everything.

And, just to derail the main thought of this post and avoid double posting, here are some random/miscellaneous thoughts

Perhaps MobTeeseboose is not lurking Time, but some other xkcd forum. It may be the newpix bot of that other forum, except that it doesn't post, it just scrapes information for some Sciscitor like graphs.

Newpix is the base unit. For some reason the Outside sped up after the first few newpix.

I have the rest of the week off, hopefully I'll make it to NP 1024. Probably not, though.

I have never played D&D, although I've dabbled in similar games. If something like that does happen here, I would love to be part of it.
Wait For It.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:03 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:I'll post something nice from where I'm at in the thread: <ttscp quote snipped>
That's pretty nice indeed. I'd forgotten that quote.

I have the rest of the week off, hopefully I'll make it to NP 1024. Probably not, though.
You can do it ! *dons cheerleader outfit*

I have never played D&D, although I've dabbled in similar games. If something like that does happen here, I would love to be part of it.
You're more than welcome.
So far, that's taixzo, Gingercat, Febrion, macraw83, GnomeAnne, and karhell. Anyone else ?

macraw83 wrote:Now, there's just the matter of who would be the DM...
Indeed.
If no one else wants to, I don't mind DMing, although I haven't done so since university (10 yips ago already ? :shock: )

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:00 pm UTC

Wait For It.

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:16 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:New OtherComic.

Spoiler:
LOOK OUT!

xkcd 1763 + m2228: Copyright © by GLR, License: CC-BY-NC 2.5

Redundant: XCF file
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:18 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Image
Nice. :)

Jose

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:50 am UTC

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow :-)

[Edit]
Even if you are not in the US... may you find something for you to be thankful for :-)
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 am UTC

Kieryn wrote:Even if you are not in the US... may you find something for you to be thankful for :-)
I'm thankful you dropped by! Miss you - how has your Time been going? (I still have your penguins in my favorites and have been dutifully waiting for it, hoping we haven't seen the voldeframe!)

I guess the basement has been treating you molpishly. Is it so comfy we need a comfy chair? In any case, welcome back, and hope to see more of you!

Jose

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:00 am UTC

I miss you too! More of me will be seen. Penguins too, but not yet. I have a few things that need to be done, and it may take a number of weeks, but I, and the penguins will be back.

ucim wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Even if you are not in the US... may you find something for you to be thankful for :-)
I'm thankful you dropped by! Miss you - how has your Time been going? (I still have your penguins in my favorites and have been dutifully waiting for it, hoping we haven't seen the voldeframe!)

I guess the basement has been treating you molpishly. Is it so comfy we need a comfy chair? In any case, welcome back, and hope to see more of you!

Jose
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:13 am UTC

karhell wrote:EDITED TO ADD:

Thank you for inviting me 'tag along’, too.

I want to play! I want to help! Yet…
I know nothing of D&D, StoryTelling Games.

I'll set the table and make Tea for some,
Brandy and Beers for others.

I'll sweep.
I'll sleep.

I'll help in any way I am able.
Maybe....I'll put an unrelated story in a spoiler;
From Time-to-Time.

Like today...
Spoiler:
It was Sooo Cold!

I looked out on a day that looked like a Full Moon Night.
The cold gray clouds thinned enough to show the fullness of a cold white orb.

The white orb gave no warmth.
It was masquerading as a moon.

Cold. So very Cold.
I am warm, now.

A bed, an electric blanket, two heating pads,
a rabbit's wool sweater and an oil filled heater.

Thank you, Time. Bless your hearts.
Most of those things came from you.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2815

Postby mscha » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:00 am UTC

THUNDERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:REDUNDANCY IS MOLPFISH

-- posted by randompixbot

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: " We Rate Molpish Wolpies"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:02 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Whoios, forgot about yall for a wip cos Desert Bus X was happening.
Oh - I've been educated about another meme - Yes-based - I must approve!

It was new to me too, but I quite enjoy it.
Desert Bus X also taught me about 'why are you so mad bront?' https://mobile.twitter.com/dog_rates/st ... 9274969089
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”