1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

svenman

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby svenman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:57 am UTC

That has been a very molpish newpage.

Treeish t-1 making-of installment from taixzo! It's been a while since the last one.

By the way, a plot summary for t-1 has been on the One True Wiki for a couple mips now. I guess it's so much longer than the other ones that a separate wiki page for t-1, much like the one for t1i, seems warranted. Any thoughts on that?

Wingish song ottification from mikrit! It's molpish to have a new work by our first and eldest of ottificators.

Steakish ottercomic from Sustainabilizer!
Spoiler:
Effect strength => [shockONG] | Effect delay => [11,275 yips] | Effect duration => [1 newpix]

And because by my calculations this should be the pope post of the next newpage, for decree: Have a look at the One True Wiki and add or correct something if you find something missing or in error.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 am UTC

Hi Kieryn! Molpish to see you!

Kieryn wrote:I, and the penguins will be back.

*waits for it*
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:04 am UTC

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! I have many things to be thankful for, and hey, I can deliver one such thanks here: Thank Thanks and Thanks for being so warm and molpish!

taixzo wrote:The time that city took was about what I expected. Other things, though, took much longer...
I'm looking forward to hearing of these things, but wondering if that's a form of schadenfreude... I don't think it is, but....
taixzo wrote:The largest ones are about 6 km tall. Considering that there are 1 km buildings currently being designed, I don't think that's much of a stretch for 900 years of engineering progress!
Please let them never try that in Wellington! The old yellow-stickered quake-prone buildings in Wellington that the city officials moan about seemed to come through the Kaikoura quake fine. The newer buildings, built to the new high quake standards - those have suffered pancaking and support failures.
taixzo wrote:They were always there. It was originally a system for handwriting; they allowed me to write faster, in a sort of half-cursive. (I actually spent about a week taking notes with the system, before the teacher asked me to stop because he couldn't read what I wrote.)
Lame.
taixzo wrote:
ggh wrote:
ggh wrote:... which led me to Coincidence, which you alluded to in a subject header six days ago, around when you made it. You alluded to 2words early in October in this subject and talked about how you switch between your internal and external IP addresses, which maybe is RELATED? I don't know. Also, I don't know what to put in the box.

Clever folks, could you look at this?: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/coin/
So, looking at this, I see that if I enter something like chirpingmustard.com, it says "Invalid server ID", but if I enter numbers only, it reports "No active Coincidence server with this ID." I tried up to 100 and, of course, 1190. Anyone with computery stuff skills care to brute force this baby?

I tried a few other guesses; no luck. It's not 3099, 2532, or any RNMs that I tried. Also decimals give "Invalid server ID."
I've also tried the frame #s from BFTF which balthasar said were unresolved. No dice. Then I wandered around on the moon and saw the Chronotransponder. I guess if I ever actually looked at it before, I didn't notice that uses by kxa, fth, b and E are visible there. I tried to send a message to future me, but I'm not sure if I did, because future me hasn't written back. Sustainabilizer, you're the Chronotransponder expert, no? Do you know what to do with the unclosed loop with xka?

karhell wrote:You can do it ! *dons cheerleader outfit*

Treeish OTThercomic, Sustainabilizer! If only Megan could have warned herself.... So often when you try to mess with the universe it comes back to bite you.

Kieryn wrote:Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow :-)
So awesomeful to see you Kieryn! I too eagerly annoy the Minim for the return of you and your penguins!

Stay warm, addams! And you should definitely play D&D. If I had any Time, I would, even though I have no experience. I'm sure you can find some nice Paladin or something to show you around.

Eternal Density wrote:Desert Bus X also taught me about 'why are you so mad bront?' https://mobile.twitter.com/dog_rates/st ... 9274969089
Oh dear - I blitzed that this morning. It's an internet microcosm. No, that's not quite what I mean. I'm not sure what I mean.

I did a decree thing, but I gotta run - will explain later....

rsir:
Spoiler:
cheerleaderKarhell.png
cheerleaderKarhell.png (25.2 KiB) Viewed 10265 times
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:29 am UTC

svenman wrote:And because by my calculations this should be the pope post of the next new page, for decree: Have a look at the One True Wiki and add or correct something if you find something missing or in error.

By decree I wander the Wiki.
Unable to fulfill the decree.

I can correct nothing.
I have nothing to add.

(ha-ha)
(tee-hee)
Giggles follow me back.

Dove on a wire
between two tall towers strung
utters a high "Coo..."

Kethryes, htom, NP417
Cow on scotch mountain
Scotsman was once heard to say
"Aye, that's a High coo"

SPACKlick, NP417
Teenagers in line,
all smoking weed as they wait.
They've formed a high queue.

StratPlayer, NP418
Um, did you Haiku?
Or maybe it was "ah-choo?"
If so, Gesundheit!

StratPlayer, NP417
A rhyming Haiku
not what you're supposed to do
what is wrong with you

aeglaeca, NP418

A handful of Haiku all in a row.
Like the bird I utter, "NoMore".
Spoiler:
Heavens No!
I do not Know.
A warm hug to you, Time.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 am UTC

ggh wrote:
karhell wrote:You can do it ! *dons cheerleader outfit*

Bwahahahaha! That is absolutely my avatar, now!

By the way, I probably should state that I am, have always been, and probably always will be, male, but this is just too funny to not use :mrgreen:
(now to add some pom-poms...)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:46 am UTC

ggh wrote:Happy Thanksgiving, y'all! I have many things to be thankful for, and hey, I can deliver one such thanks here: Thank Thanks and Thanks for being so warm and molpish!

I echo this sentiment. We did the feasting portion early, so that TGW and her favorite person could join us. First time having all four wolpies and their favorite people all together.

We also got the chance to go see an upgoer going up. We weren't very close, but it was still pretty impressive.

ggh wrote:
taixzo wrote:The largest ones are about 6 km tall. Considering that there are 1 km buildings currently being designed, I don't think that's much of a stretch for 900 years of engineering progress!
Please let them never try that in Wellington! The old yellow-stickered quake-prone buildings in Wellington that the city officials moan about seemed to come through the Kaikoura quake fine. The newer buildings, built to the new high quake standards - those have suffered pancaking and support failures.

Must be some strong stickers.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:53 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:the penguins will be back.

!!! :D
He/Him/His Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:11 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:05 pm UTC

Glad you like it!
karhell wrote:By the way, I probably should state that I am, have always been, and probably always will be, male, but this is just too funny to not use :mrgreen:
(now to add some pom-poms...)
I always thought you were a guy, but your invitation was just too tempting. :D

addams wrote:By decree I wander the Wiki.
Unable to fulfill the decree.
That was some worthwhile wiki wandering. :)

Here's one that doesn't quite work:
A B C D E
F G H I J K L
M N O P Q

SBN wrote:Must be some strong stickers.
:idea:
Maybe I'll suggest that to the Council.

Did all the wolpies like each other?

I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't have done this - it is so single-mindedly self-serving - but for the decree, I moved two of my images from OTC_Manips to OTColored. I've never quite been sure where the line is drawn between the two, but I've generally made my images thinking of them as OTColoreds. Perhaps my favourite, 1467, was forever trapped in Manips, where it would never see the light of ONG, so I used this excuse to rescue it and 2843. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I'll try to do something more constructive before the NP is done....
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Did all the wolpies like each other?

They do pretty well. TGW is young and energetic, and likes to squeak her toys, but GHW is a shepherd, and prefers that the toys be kept safe and unharmed. (And of course, interprets any squeaking as evidence that they are being hurt.)

Neither wolpies nor toys were harmed, but GHW was rather stressed for awhile, as the toys were clearly being tortured and the humans weren't doing anything to stop it.
In general, for having 360 pounds of wolpy here, it was pretty calm.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:04 am UTC

ggh wrote:I'm starting to think maybe I shouldn't have done this - it is so single-mindedly self-serving - but for the decree, I moved two of my images from OTC_Manips to OTColored. I've never quite been sure where the line is drawn between the two, but I've generally made my images thinking of them as OTColoreds. Perhaps my favourite, 1467, was forever trapped in Manips, where it would never see the light of ONG, so I used this excuse to rescue it and 2843. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I'll try to do something more constructive before the NP is done....

No, that's treeish as far as I am concerned. I recall repeatedly struggling with drawing the line between colorizations and manips myself and must have also done so when I added those two to the wiki (it looks like I have been responsible for both, at an early stage of my contributing to the wiki).

And addams, I concur, that looks like it was time well spent on the wiki even if you didn't change anything. If you really found nothing to correct or to add then you were in perfect accordance with the decree anyway!
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:51 am UTC

Oh, phew! Thanks!

I think there's a TAT-colored I want to add somewhere....
What would you think of this:

A TAT Artwork subcategory under Time After Time on the main page

TAT Manips and TATColored subcategories under TAT Artwork

current manips occupying the #10-spot under Time After Time relocated to those two categories

mscha's TAT-coloreds, listed on the OTColored page relocated to TATColored

links to TAT Manips and TATColored added to the bottom of the OTC Manips and OTColored pages respectively

The other thing I was thinking of for the wiki, was that it might be nice to have a place for current unsolved things, like:

balthasar's current thingie
    mysteries of the various TATs
    Beanish
    the Epilogue sequence
    my Find-the-OTTers pic
    other things I can't recall offhand....

SBN wrote:They do pretty well. TGW is young and energetic, and likes to squeak her toys, but GHW is a shepherd, and prefers that the toys be kept safe and unharmed. (And of course, interprets any squeaking as evidence that they are being hurt.)

Neither wolpies nor toys were harmed, but GHW was rather stressed for awhile, as the toys were clearly being tortured and the humans weren't doing anything to stop it.
In general, for having 360 pounds of wolpy here, it was pretty calm.
Oh - I didn't know that was a shepherd thing! The Little Wonder's Dad's family used to have a shepherd that would play with squeaky toys and be simultaneously upset that they were squeaking. But that dog had a lot of issues, so I thought that that was just another one.
Agatha the Awesomeful

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:09 am UTC

ggh wrote:Oh - I didn't know that was a shepherd thing! The Little Wonder's Dad's family used to have a shepherd that would play with squeaky toys and be simultaneously upset that they were squeaking. But that dog had a lot of issues, so I thought that that was just another one.

Depends on the shepherd, but the ones that are protective of their flock, as opposed to ordering them around, seem to do that fairly commonly.

He and MSW also like to play defense when other wolpies are retrieving tennis balls. Interestingly, some wolpies seem to enjoy having the game made more difficult. Not all do, though, so I try to redirect them if it seems wolpies or their people are bothered.

I think your wiki suggestions make a lot of sense.

Some Ways to Time

balthasar_s

something is no yes

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:03 am UTC

ggh wrote:I tried to send a message to future me, but I'm not sure if I did, because future me hasn't written back.

Unfortunately, it was not sent. I did not find any your message in the system.

If you try to submit a message and something is not ok, you will see the edit page again.
On the left (marked with red on this picture below) there will be an explaining message.

If you send it successfully you will see this instead:

I didn't notice that uses by kxa, fth, b and E are visible there.
'E' is mustard. You will notice 'E' in other fielsds also, like post time, subject, ...

mikrit wrote: I found it necessary to assume that balthasar_s is a Professor, which I am not certain of, but I think it's entirely likely.
I'm not.

Redundant
Spoiler:
ctnotsent.png
ctsent.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

SBN
Saved

Re: something is no yes

Postby SBN » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:34 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
mikrit wrote: I found it necessary to assume declare that balthasar_s is a Professor, which I am not certain of, but I think it's entirely likely is perfect.
I'm not.

Oh, but you are.

If it doesn't have one, the wiki needs a titles and honorifics section.

Some Ways to Time

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Oh, phew! Thanks!

current manips occupying the #10-spot under Time After Time relocated to those two categories

links to TAT Manips and TATColored added to the bottom of the OTC Manips and OTColored pages respectively

I'd say, go for it.

ggh wrote:The other thing I was thinking of for the wiki, was that it might be nice to have a place for current unsolved things, like:

balthasar's current thingie
    mysteries of the various TATs
    Beanish
    the Epilogue sequence
    my Find-the-OTTers pic
    other things I can't recall offhand....

Sounds good too.

SBN wrote:If it doesn't have one, the wiki needs a titles and honorifics section.

It doesn't, as far as I am aware. But the good news is you can do something about it.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote: Perhaps my favourite, 1467, was forever trapped in Manips, where it would never see the light of ONG, so I used this excuse to rescue it and 2843. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I'll try to do something more constructive before the NP is done....
I am sorry to admit, I am unable to find images with the data (1467) and (2843).
You could waste your Time attempting to teach Algebra to a dog or me to find images.

Or; Maybe;...Will you be bothered to bring the images into The Present of Time?
Then, I can see, judge and enjoy your work in our shared Now of The One True.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

addams wrote:
ggh wrote: Perhaps my favourite, 1467, was forever trapped in Manips, where it would never see the light of ONG, so I used this excuse to rescue it and 2843. I hope that doesn't offend anyone. I'll try to do something more constructive before the NP is done....
I am sorry to admit, I am unable to find images with the data (1467) and (2843).
You could waste your Time attempting to teach Algebra to a dog or me to find images.

Or; Maybe;...Will you be bothered to bring the images into The Present of Time?
Then, I can see, judge and enjoy your work in our shared Now of The One True.

Those images are (now) collected, together with many others, on http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTColored. Direct links to the images in question:

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 am UTC

Thank you, svenman.
Time Posters are so kind.

The images are delightful!
Happy, Happy;
Joy, Joy.

weather Report:
Spoiler:
More scary weather.
I wake to sheets of hard rain moving over my box.

Hard Rain.
The way Ice is Hard Water.

I am warm and dry.
Wrapped in rabbit fur.
Spoiler:
My rabbit fur sweater is provided by live rabbits.

They like to be brushed.
The rabbits are unharmed.
An Angora Rabbit is a fiber producing animal. The wool is plucked, combed, or clipped and spun into a luxurious yarn.
This does not harm the rabbit; the wool is ready to shed and removing it will help keep the rabbit in good condition.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:52 am UTC

addams wrote:Hard Rain.
The way Ice is Hard Water.
Better hard water than heavy water. If it's raining heavy water, you are not having a good day, and will probably not go into space today.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:59 am UTC

Just blindposting to say I've reached Beacon Ginger (nice color) in my ketch-up, and I have listened to some Yappo music - thanks for posting the link, Laura!
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:22 pm UTC

svenman wrote:
ggh wrote:Oh, phew! Thanks!

I'd say, go for it.
I went for it. :)

Now I'm tired. The other wiki stuff, trying the Chronotransponder again, ppp, greenhouse pics and ketchup will all have to wait.

Stay dry addams! And thanks for fielding those questions for me, svenman.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Wowsome walk descriptions, ggh!

ggh wrote:For
Spoiler:

Reckon I'll get away with that?

Poppadom? Papadum? Po...OH I GET IT I GET IT

VITSSÅGEN, JA!

I was going "Waffles? Pancakes? Is that maple syrup in the background?..."

But I think get it now.

Edited to add: Nope, of course I hadn't got it. I was thinking of popedom, not Pope addams.

As for the blintzes/blitzers interpretation (by Jose, I think): my grandmother used to make lovely blintzes, but I didn't think of them as papadum-like at the time.

Ha ha! My spellchecker that still thinks I am writing Swedish just wanted to correct "papadum" to "paraduniform", and earlier today it corrected "wrote" to "september". What the ch*rp? It must be getting desperate. The question now is whether I can drive it crazy before it drives me crazy.

(And "before" just became "vegorecept". I think I am winning. Must ... continue ... the ... struggle...)
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

mrob27

1190: "Time": DISREGARD THAT, I BLITZNAP POKEMOLPS

Postby mrob27 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:43 pm UTC

It's a little scary to think about how many yips have passed since this great adventure started… but there ya go. Time. It's really seaish.
 I was away for quite a while because of school (1st semester for Master of Science) but also because my new (purpose-bought for school) EbNYA-MTA1 did not run all my OTT-specific software. This was actually my first time going onto a full-Linux lifestyle since over 15 yips ago. I had gone to considerable effort to make sure all my own stuff would work on Linux, but a lot of the underlying specialised functions, such as clipboard cut/paste and phoneme tranlation for poetry analysis, required some new code and refactoring. Timborme was very helpful with this, and uncharacteristically so as he was usually the one more inclined to emdless hours of gaming. But I've been taking increasingly long EVAs hunting pokemolps.
 Anyway, we now have all the OTT "bots" (really manually-launched scripts that read and process the OTT but don't post) working under Lubuntu, and the file synchronisation/backup/revision-history stuff works well enough despite the requisite exFAT filesystem m*stard. This means I can do my normal OTT workflow without worrying about which machine I'm on at the moment.

Here are some old replies that were in the queue since I can't remember when…

AluisioAASG wrote: (OTT:2508:35) Sounds like a fun game. What happens if I -dAG?

I imagine that the options are "obeyed" in the order given. If an option implies or suppresses another, that is done right away before the next user-supplied option.
  -d (dragon mode) : Since you're already a dragon, you'll blitz in Doubld Dragon mode.
  -A (All y'all) : All plural references to people or persons are automatically translated into "All y'all". which might be slightly confusing.
   [-A implies -x]
   -x (transpose gender pronouns) : All singular pronouns are translated, e.g. he becomes she and vice-versa.
    [-x overrides -G] (since there is no -G yet, this has no effect)
  -G (Girl) : This option wasn't meant to do anything in particular, it's just a joke based on the fact that the command itself is called "Blitz", so Blitz -G would be "BlitzGirl".
   [-G combined with -y inverts -A] (since there is no -y yet, this has no effect)

MistyCat wrote:(OTT:2493:9) FTFYBUTU(WFM) (Fixed that for you by un-securing the URL (Worked for me.))

Why can't I download the Official Ubuntu kernal releases using an https://… URL (with wget, or apparently with a browser or anything else)? Grumble.
  {Note from NP2532: Still true. Firefox still won't let me visit this URL. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and yes I've done all the updates.}

balthasar_s wrote:(OTT:2509:25) I did it: http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/aftertime/viewer?story=bftf&&r=1
It's not only for BFTF but also for other stories. […]

Thanks, @balthawesome! I was hoping someone (else) would do that.

mrob27 Image

1 EbNYA-MTA Eventual but Not Yet Actual Mobile Time Accessor
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:58 am UTC

Thanks for the explanation, balthofessor, but I guess I'm stuck at the password. I tried the most RELATED ones I could think of first, and gave up just as I was about to try the passwords to my international bank accounts. Nice try!

I was thinking of adding the Puzzles and Mysteries link just after Games under the main page, and then populating it with just a few brief bits, that we can expand upon at our leisure. Sound okay?

SBN wrote:If it doesn't have one, the wiki needs a titles and honorifics section.
BlitzGirl's honorifics are already listed on her page, which lives under the woefully-underpopulated Thread Users section. What if I cleaned that up to just have subheadings of OTTers and Bots (do we already call these bOTTs, or is that only for bOTTeriada? I forget) with those linking to pages that could hold a lot more of us, to whatever degree we find molpish and amusing?
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:34 am UTC

ggh wrote:
BlitzGirl's honorifics are already listed on her page, which lives under the woefully-underpopulated Thread Users section.

I have Someone has been accumulating a stalkerish list of information on the thread'sh? users. If someone (not me, I deny all accusations) were to add to the Thread Users section, what information would be appropriate to put on there?

Decree: I have refrained from reading the wiki, except for the BlitzGirl gospels, due to possible spoilerage. I will probably have read it by the time I arrive at this page in my blitz's present.

h? or "tread" as many people seem to like to say.
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:22 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks for the explanation, balthofessor, but I guess I'm stuck at the password.
But it's right next to the password input field.
I added the password only to stop spambots.
Redundant
Spoiler:
ctpass.png
ctpass.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 8967 times
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:02 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:But it's right next to the password input field.

So obvious no-one thought of it >.<
I guess we really are spambots, then ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
svenman wrote:I'd say, go for it.
I went for it. :)

Treeish! I made a few minor tweaks to the results.

ggh wrote:I was thinking of adding the Puzzles and Mysteries link just after Games under the main page, and then populating it with just a few brief bits, that we can expand upon at our leisure. Sound okay?

BlitzGirl's honorifics are already listed on her page, which lives under the woefully-underpopulated Thread Users section. What if I cleaned that up to just have subheadings of OTTers and Bots (do we already call these bOTTs, or is that only for bOTTeriada? I forget) with those linking to pages that could hold a lot more of us, to whatever degree we find molpish and amusing?

Sounds all good to me.

GnomeAnne wrote:I have Someone has been accumulating a stalkerish list of information on the thread'sh? users. If someone (not me, I deny all accusations) were to add to the Thread Users section, what information would be appropriate to put on there?

In my opinion basically any information contained in the thread itself is okay, unless the OTTer concerned has expressed a preference otherwise, but what gets put on the wiki by someone else should be restricted to what is relevant to understanding that OTTer's posts on the OTT. Placing personal information on the wiki should be dependent on the OTTer's approval and restricted to the most basic, like: nationality; country of residence, if differing from the former; possibly outside occupation, if relevant to the thread; maaaybe gender, if stated or otherwise known, but generally I wouldn't see a necessity to state that information in any way other than indirectly through the use of pronouns.

The OTTers themselves are of course free to impart as much information about themselves as they wish, though in an article in the wiki's article namespace it should be at least somewhat relevant to their role in the OTT. Another possible location for information about themselves without that latter restriction is the profile page for their wiki user account, if they have one.

GnomeAnne wrote:Decree: I have refrained from reading the wiki, except for the BlitzGirl gospels, due to possible spoilerage. I will probably have read it by the time I arrive at this page in my blitz's present.

h? or "tread" as many people seem to like to say.

Oh! I admit the possibility of schizo-blitzers following the OTT in the present but at the same time wishing to avoid spoilers to those parts of the OTT's past that they haven't blitzed yet didn't occur to me. Of course following the decree is entirely voluntary for blitzers. Coming to think of it, so is it for anyone else. All right, carry on.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:44 pm UTC

New OtherComic.
svenman wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:What information about the thread's users would be appropriate to put on the wiki?

In my opinion basically any information contained in the thread itself is okay, unless the OTTer concerned has expressed a preference otherwise, but what gets put on the wiki by someone else should be restricted to what is relevant to understanding that OTTer's posts on the OTT. Placing personal information on the wiki should be dependent on the OTTer's approval and restricted to the most basic, like: nationality; country of residence, if differing from the former; possibly outside occupation, if relevant to the thread; maaaybe gender, if stated or otherwise known, but generally I wouldn't see a necessity to state that information in any way other than indirectly through the use of pronouns.

Thank you, that helps.
I started keeping track of the gender of people who had specifically stated it after I realised I had been incorrectly assuming Azule was female, and it grew from there.

svenman wrote:[snip] schizo-blitzer[/snip]
schiz·o
ˈskitsō/
 adjective
    1. (of a person or their behavior) schizophrenic.

schiz·o·phre·ni·a
ˌskitsəˈfrēnēə,ˌskitsəˈfrenēə/
 noun
    A mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to properly wait for it.

I like it.
Wait For It.

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:57 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
svenman wrote:[snip] schizo-blitzer[/snip]
schiz·o
ˈskitsō/
 adjective
    1. (of a person or their behavior) schizophrenic.

schiz·o·phre·ni·a
ˌskitsəˈfrēnēə,ˌskitsəˈfrenēə/
 noun
    A mental disorder characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to properly wait for it.

I like it.

Schizo-blitzing refers to both blitzing the OTT's past and following the present, in some cases also to blitzing the OTT's past in multiple places in parallel (while, facultatively, also following the present). I don't consider it abnormal or a disorder.

In other news, I have made a separate t-1 wiki page which now contains the extensive t-1 plot info previously on the TimeAfterTime page; on the latter the t-1 plot description has been replaced by a more succinct one.

[Edit: Typo fixed.]
Last edited by svenman on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:03 pm UTC

New message from GLR under the xkcd logo:

GLR wrote:Image
There are four new shirts in the xkcd store,
along with posters and lots of other stuff!

Notes for posterity/blitzers:
Spoiler:
Still no Time shirts.
*waits for it*

The four new shirts are: Exoplanets Shirt, Overthinking Shirt, Rover Shirt, and XKCD Figures Shirt. Furthermore, there's a xkcd store gift card listed in the "new things" section.

The second link currently links to the URL of the respective comic that is displayed under the header. So, for the current OtherComic, it links to http://xkcd.com/1765/, whereas it links to http://xkcd.com/1190/ if you're looking at the current epilogue frame of the OTC.
RSIR:
Spoiler:
new-xkcd-shirts.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ergman

I use either spelling at a whim

Postby ergman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

Recent wiki talks led me through a wonderful tour of all the OTColoureds. Are there any major scenes as of yet un-colored?

Edit: wow, this was a round number post! I guess that gives me more to say.

penis
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm UTC

Happy RNP ergman!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

balthasar_s

something is not playing

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
The recent post about Bach and bachaddict reminded me of something.
The whistling in WHYDTMT at 0:03 and 1:13.
I was whistling that from memory. I heard it played on a piano and I really liked it.
Recently, I found the notes of this.
And, apparently, this was music from Bach!
Polonaise in G Minor BWV Anh 119
But i heard this without the repetitions.
You can also hear this twice in "Nie Śpij".
So recently I finally found the notes of what I was whistling twice in WHYDTMT.
There was only one thing left to do:
https://youtu.be/UK86OKn2HoY?list=PLh6LY7st8ddNDM7cSNIbVYBNESizjwCUO
Also,
Spoiler:

ggh wrote:Thanks for the explanation, balthofessor, but I guess I'm stuck at the password. I tried the most RELATED ones I could think of first, and gave up just as I was about to try the passwords to my international bank accounts. Nice try!
I see that you did manage to send a message.
And that you tried the classic move of "ask my future self".
Soon you might find out that the difficult part of this is answering your (future) past self.

Sending to the future is actually easy. At least from the user's point of view. The message only has to wait.
You post something. It is sent. some time later it's received. During this time a copy of what you sent is stored locally so you can still see it.
It wasn't always like that.

Sending to the past is more problematic. Because the message is first received and then sent. So when you want to send it you have to send exactly the same thing that was earlier received (assuming that it was transmitted correctly, without interference), anything else is pointless.

So what if you want to send a message to the past which was not received in the past? It will not work. Actually, it is the most common problem. When people try to send a message to the past even though it was never received then.
To successfully receive a message from the future it must will have been already (?!) sent from the future.
This leads to situations like this:
Why wasn't any message from the future received? Because it was never sent. Why couldn't it be sent? Because it wasn't received.
There is a way to break out of this loop. But knowing how to do it requires breaking the 4th wall.
You can ask Sustainabilizer. He will probably confirm this.

And how about trying not to send a message to the past which was already received? It will not work either. If you received a message from the future you can be 100% sure that it will be sent one way of another.

But that's only one of the problems.
The other one is related to time loops and paradoxes.

Sending a message from the future to the past always¹ creates a feedback loop in the timeline.
There are two types of feedback loops: positive and negative.

A negative time feedback loop is where "the effect works against the cause". Some famous paradoxes may come to your mind: the grandfather for example.
Our universe, however, has a natural aversion to time paradoxes. They are things which just can't happen. So they will never happen. And they had never happened. You can't send a message that would result in a paradox. You will not be able to find yourself in a situation where you send such a message.
Negative feedbacks have a tendency to stabilize. So you will often see time loops where the causes and effects have stabilized on a certain level. And that will not be a paradox. That's how things always should have been.

A positive feedback is the opposite of this. A positive feedback loop can easily be unstable. And the events and happenings can be amplified to infinity.
But our universe is stable. So these are also things that can't happen and thus won't happen².
There is one more thing related to positive time loops:
"Information from nowhere"

For example, you send a question to the future. For example you want to find an answer to something that is not known now but it will be later (like, for example, the Coincidence server ID). You get an answer. You share it with the OTT. The whole thread knows now. Then some time in the future someone receives your question. Xe answers. And so the information comes to the past.
The question is: where did that information come from?
That's also a paradox.
So trying to get information from the future this way will usually³ also not work.

Much better explanations can be found in the book "An introduction to time loops" published by CFRT in 2018.
I recommend the second edition, from 1983, where they fixed some mistakes.

¹ theoretically, not always. a message from outside your light cone does not have to create a time loop. Because your reactions to it can't affect its past in any way. In reality, no such message has been observed so far. Also how would you establish such a connection?

² the Order of the Holy Contradiction will probably call me a heretic for this.

³ if the information in the future comes from another source than the message you receive then it does not create a positive feedback loop.

Redundant
Spoiler:
whynotenames.png
BFTF replay

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 pm UTC

On newpage 2477,
ggh wrote:Sorry my explanation wasn't very explainy. By linking to the double dactyl I had posted in proto-beanish, I was trying to say in a sneaky way that I knew that it was taixzo because I could read (and sorta badly write) proto-beanish.

I had a little fun, once I could read it. I corrected Jose's guess about the radioactive stuff, told taixzo I knew, posted a double dactyl and finally asked taixzo (in the spoiler) if it was okay to announce it. But then, I was in trouble, because, how the ch*rp was I going to do that?
Aaaaaah! My days of increasingly confusing ketchup finally reached a closing parenthesis! I totally missed all your hints. All right, now that I stare at the double dactyl, I can see that the first line seems to rhyme with itself, graphically. But I thought that array of symbols was your way of arranging the protobeanish alphabet some way.

I am impressed.

And thanks for the stories, taixzo!

Must continue ketchup now.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:05 pm UTC

I also didn't know at first what was going on.
Only after the AotC I realised it.
I had to re-read some of the past then.

I also didn't get the puncakes originally.
BFTF replay

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:11 am UTC

Happy 1200 posts, ergman!

RSIR:
Spoiler:
12cake.jpg
12cake.jpg (11.35 KiB) Viewed 8510 times
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:17 am UTC

karhell wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:But it's right next to the password input field.
So obvious no-one thought of it >.<
I guess we really are spambots, then ^^
Just me, it would seem. Well, me and mobteeseboose.

balthasar_s wrote:I see that you did manage to send a message.
Yes, I would have mentioned it right away, but I distracted googling images for molpy facepalms. I think I'm going to go with this one:

balthasar_s wrote:Soon you might find out that the difficult part of this is answering your (future) past self.
Oh dear, I'm going to have to read your explanation tonight... maybe with an adult beverage.

GnomeAnne wrote:
ggh wrote:BlitzGirl's honorifics are already listed on her page, which lives under the woefully-underpopulated Thread Users section.

I have Someone has been accumulating a stalkerish list of information on the thread'sh? users. If someone (not me, I deny all accusations) were to add to the Thread Users section, what information would be appropriate to put on there?
Wonderful! I agree with everything svenman says. I don't know if I'll end up adding much to there, but my plan would be to PM the OTTers involved before adding stuff, and erring on the side of discretion where there is no reply. I think the only thing I wouldn't check about would be praise. For instance, I wouldn't ask ergman if it's okay to put on the wiki that he's a brilliant poet. I'd just put it on there.

svenman wrote:In other news, I have made a separate t-1 wiki page which now contains the extensive t-1 plot info previously on the TimeAfterTime page; on the latter the t-1 plot description has been replaced by a more succinct one.
Treeish!

What do you think about the TimeAfterTime section on the main page? It currently includes the main subheadings:
    The SilentONGs – t1i – A Sequel To Time
    SilentONG Periods
    ​Dialogue in the SilentONGs
    TimeAfterTime Artwork
Looking at that might give the impression that t1i has been the only TimeAfterTime, but adding them all would make this already sprawling main page more sprawling. I can't think of a good solution... I wish subheadings could be collapsed. It's a puzzlement.

Hey, I see that you just earned the Curator Badge for adding 2000 images to the wiki. Congratulations! That is pretty awesomeful!

more later - gotta run!
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1277

Postby mscha » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 am UTC

SPORONGIOLA...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SACRIFICE HARD 2: SACRIFICE HARDER

-- posted by randompixbot

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”