1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

This is what happens when GrapeChannel

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:39 am UTC

addams wrote:oh, ED; I tried. I failed.
That is too sophisticated for me.
Or; Chat is something I don't know.

I hope you have a wonder-full-woofy Time with all The Channels.
Tried too. failed too. But. That was not my computer. I'll retry at home.
Spoiler:
Or I'll go back to using Coincidence.

This is what happens when GrapeChannel :D

Also, the humanprove has <input>s which are not inside a <form>. How will it know?
Redundant
wzorki.png
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

I used GrapeChannel a bit - treeish! - but ran into a little snag as well. I demonstrated my humanity and joined, wrote a few things, wandered away, came back and was kicked off for being away too long. I couldn't rejoin though, because the capcha (or whatever you call it) was gone.
Spoiler:
I just tried it again, and got in successfully, so maybe I just needed to refresh. Does PUG mean anything besides the wolpy?

balthasar_s wrote:Or I'll go back to using Coincidence.
Are there a lot of folks in Coincidence?
My current suspicion/fear is that to learn the server name I'd have to work out your assembly encoding of a piece of music, and that's beyond me.

Oh June Bug - your kitty looks deliciously chocolate too! (Maybe too sophisticated to lick though....)

Okay, so who's been getting up to shenanigans? Saw this yesterday, and xe is here this morning too.

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 7.51.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 10.31.01 PM.png
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Are there a lot of folks in Coincidence?
Actually, no.
Most of the time you will be lucky if you meet someone who isn't you.

ggh wrote:My current suspicion is that to learn the server name I'd have to work out your assembly encoding of a piece of music, and that's beyond me.
No. That would be unfair.

What is actually needed is careful observing.
Am I not accidentally telling something more than I would?

Something from the past.
I once posted an answer to the OTSHITAT.
Suustainabilizer somehow managed to discover the BFTF user names from it.

I retried the Grapechannel at home and it worked this time.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

thunk

Re: 1190: "Megan is Cueball. Zanclean is Dry. Mustard is Molpishness."

Postby thunk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:54 pm UTC

Ungh...why did I start playing SC Builder now?

That's enough for today.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:30 am UTC

ggh wrote:I used GrapeChannel a bit - treeish! - but ran into a little snag as well. I demonstrated my humanity and joined, wrote a few things, wandered away, came back and was kicked off for being away too long. I couldn't rejoin though, because the capcha (or whatever you call it) was gone.
Spoiler:
I just tried it again, and got in successfully, so maybe I just needed to refresh. Does PUG mean anything besides the wolpy?
oh. ...umm..
It gave me a user name.
I immediately forgot it.

When I try again, I'll write down my user name.
I don't know Why I am joining these Channels.

Is it to communicate with the Posters from Time?

That is a good reason.
Redundancy is Mopish.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:35 am UTC

ggh, steakish wiki work! Good to have someone else active there (apart from the occasional SB player). And I'm glad you liked the movie titles – could it be that their being your favourites is somehow related to your country of residence?

addams, thanks for the interesting videos!

balthasar_s wrote:I also saw that the two words game is added to the list of games.
But I don't think it fits the description "Some forum users have created and played OTC-related games."

Fair enough – the game is not OTC-related as such, although the recent content generated through the game has become influenced by the OTT thanks to the link being published here. To be honest, I was too lazy to adapt the wording on that occasion but have fixed it now.

Awesomeful stuff that you are working on. Same goes for ED.

And welcome, Quantized, Revealer the Recent!

Edit:
ggh wrote:Seriously though, I'm not sure where to draw the line either. The great majority of what we consider OTColored are image manipulations, and a good many Manips incorporate colour, so the key is not in the names. To me, Manips are changing the meaning/intent of the comic for humour or to be a medium for something else that's going on in the thread. I think Coloreds are something made primarily to be purty while mostly respecting the original context of the OTC. The earliest, and most undeniably appropriate, OTColoreds provided a fitting background beyond the narrow slice of depth, and from there they branched out to, er, less fitting backgrounds and wilder interpretations, while still not altering the basic meaning of the OTC. But with wilder interpretations, came the grey areas and the border cases.... There's so much I want to discuss and ask about, but now is not the night.

That seems like a pretty good guideline that you formulated there. Should go on the wiki.

One particular class of colormanip that has given me trouble to categorize are crossings of famous paintings with OTC content. When wikifying these, I stuck to an unwritten (imagined?) rule that a colorization always has to be linked to a particular OTC frame, even if the exact frame may be ambiguous in some cases. But if OTC content from different frames turns up in the same image, then I would not consider it a colorization (of one OTC frame) and therefore had to place it under "OTC Manips", for want of a better-fitting category. [Edit 2: Neither would I if the composition of the colormanipped image strayed too far from the corresponding OTC frame.] The result was that some of the famous paintings/OTC content crossings turned up under "OTC Manips" and some under "OTColored" even though they felt very similar in intent. Maybe they deserve a page of their own? But that requires a good name.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:54 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Here's one that doesn't quite work:
A B C D E
F G H I J K L
M N O P Q

Sure it does. That's definitely a high Q.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

Thanks for kind words, ggh and SBN and others.
I am still trying to ketch up to the present, so I am not quite up to date on recent newpages, but here is some random stuff I want to share.

Sometimes, when I see a person in real life, I think "Oh, xe looks exactly like this-or-that fictional character". For example, my choir leader is a rather attractive woman, but one day I realized she looks like Magrat Garlick in Terry Pratchett's books about witches, and now I can't unsee the resemblance. More RELATED is that there is a girl in the choir who one day wore a black beanie all evening, and with her skinny stickman-like figure I couldn't help thinking that she might be the great52-grandmother of all Beankind (Beanity?).

52 That's not a footnote, it's an exponent.

Nice to see new blitzers. Welcome, all! I never thought this custom would continue and attract new people for so many years.

And I had an idea for a Time cartoon, but I am still recovering from the effort of drawing just a six-panel comic some years ago (my admiration for taixzo, silenttimer and of course GLR is too large for words). However, I realized that my idea works pretty well as just dialogue.

So, I want you to imagine an alternative universe where Megan didn't steal the maps from Rosetta, but acquired them in another way.

Scene 1
Megan and Cueball are running away from Rosetta to save their tribe, as they approach Mr. Expando, who just happens to speak Cuaganese, although his italic accent makes him hard to understand. Megan is the faster runner (thanks to Panther salve!) and arrives first.

Expando: Please stop, girl.
Megan: What?
Expando: These valuable maps may help you in your quest, but before I give them away, I want to be sure that you can use them.
Megan: Huh?
Expando: You must answer three questions.
Megan: Yeah.
Expando: What's this area here?
Megan: The sea is big.
Expando: Correct. What about this line?
Megan: The river is small.
Expando: Also correct. How would you describe this part?
Megan: More world. Maybe different.
Expando: Ah, that's a bit too vague, but I will give you another chance: what's this line that separates the map from the margin?
Megan: Neat.
Expando: Yes, it's the neatline. Very good. I was afraid you were ignorant barbarians, but you have convinced me otherwise. Please take these maps, and may the Lord be with you.
Megan: Thanks.

Scene 2
Cueball has catched up and they continue running.

Cueball: What did you and Big Hat Guy talk about?
Megan: Just some small talk.
Cueball: But you are terrible at small talk. You just keep repeating the same catch phrases over and over.
Megan: I know you think so, but he seemed to be pleased.
Cueball: Why did he give you all that pergament?
Megan: I think he wanted to help us. And it was a good gift, because I figure we can make a new bag out of it.
Cueball: Pity about all the black smudges.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:49 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ggh wrote:Here's one that doesn't quite work:
A B C D E
F G H I J K L
M N O P Q

Sure it does. That's definitely a high Q.

Forgive me if I'm pointing out the obvious, but if you pronounce the Q as "high Q", then the last line has six syllables. You can pronounce the last line with five syllables, but then the joke gets lost - that's why the "haiku" doesn't quite work, at least when read out loud.

Steakish story, mikrit! Rather ironic, though. Would you agree that it could be described as a parody?
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm UTC

300GB of Triple-A games and yet I'm Q04Bing instead.

*saves game*
Spoiler:
2:1038422:G:1472938:14:0117A.109D..2BC..3AE..28G0.1.8....9:63:63:0.1,1.5746,2.72,3.116,4.27,6.1472938
He/Him/His Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 am UTC

I've been sitting on these recordings of OTTifications for ages and thought I otter* actually post them… I think I was holding off because I wanted to make videos for them (just using OTC frames) but eh, better to just get the songs out there instead of sitting on them!

Both OTTifications I did ages ago (three yips in fact, baobabs!) of songs by a very NSFW comedy musical act. But my versions are perfectly tame :P

1) Thwapsticks (Original post with lyrics)
2) Use Our Castle As A Raft (lyrics)

Hope you enjoy! Especially my silly mock Essex accent to mimic the originals :P

*Well BlitzGirl hasn't been seen in ages, I think we're safe! PUNARCHY IN THE OTT!
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:06 am UTC

Thanks for the hint, balthapal! Now I've got the first digit! So server names....I thought they were either namey or numbers separate by periods. Coincidence seems to only like numbers, no periods. Is there generally a certain number of digits for a number-only name, or could it be anything?

svenman wrote:I'm glad you liked the movie titles – could it be that their being your favourites is somehow related to your country of residence?
Ha, my circumstances have indeed given me a soft spot for Middle Earth, but I think it was the wonderful fit of each of the titles that grabbed me. Arguably, The Two Castles and The Cueganship of the Bags would overlap chronologically, but whatever - it wouldn't be the first time Time got a bit twisted up.
svenman wrote:
Spoiler:
ggh wrote:Seriously though, I'm not sure where to draw the line either. The great majority of what we consider OTColored are image manipulations, and a good many Manips incorporate colour, so the key is not in the names. To me, Manips are changing the meaning/intent of the comic for humour or to be a medium for something else that's going on in the thread. I think Coloreds are something made primarily to be purty while mostly respecting the original context of the OTC. The earliest, and most undeniably appropriate, OTColoreds provided a fitting background beyond the narrow slice of depth, and from there they branched out to, er, less fitting backgrounds and wilder interpretations, while still not altering the basic meaning of the OTC. But with wilder interpretations, came the grey areas and the border cases.... There's so much I want to discuss and ask about, but now is not the night.

That seems like a pretty good guideline that you formulated there. Should go on the wiki.
One particular class of colormanip that has given me trouble to categorize are crossings of famous paintings with OTC content. When wikifying these, I stuck to an unwritten (imagined?) rule that a colorization always has to be linked to a particular OTC frame, even if the exact frame may be ambiguous in some cases. But if OTC content from different frames turns up in the same image, then I would not consider it a colorization (of one OTC frame) and therefore had to place it under "OTC Manips", for want of a better-fitting category. [Edit 2: Neither would I if the composition of the colormanipped image strayed too far from the corresponding OTC frame.] The result was that some of the famous paintings/OTC content crossings turned up under "OTC Manips" and some under "OTColored" even though they felt very similar in intent. Maybe they deserve a page of their own? But that requires a good name.
Hmm, yes. That's a toughie. You're mostly talking about these, eh? (Hmm, why don't img tags work with these?)
Me, I'd be really tempted to throw the first two and yappo's tsunami into OTColoreds, with the multi-frame one arbitrarily listed under the final frame, with a parenthetical reference to the other frames. (Or, as a dodgy workaround, I could 'erase' some of the dialogue to remove the issue.) Actually, I think I might even go as far as to move yappo's Dali too. Charlie's pic... I kinda would like to see it there too, but the total lack of any representation of the Cuegan and the other dialogue... it just seems too incomplete. That's just my 2 cents - I don't think it would be wrong if they stayed where they are either.

Another big group that's currently split up, and that I could see going into either category is the one where the OTC is not enhanced so much as relocated - on a stomach, on a shirt, on a horse, on a butterfly... ... on an ant farm, on a leaf, on a monument... ...window, barn, cake, cheese... ...puddle, map, eyelid, more cake.... I admit I am guilty for many, but not all, of these. Most of the things in the OTColored category I could imagine as illustrations in a book of Time where the OTA chose not to be the OTI, but not those relocated images, and yet I kinda want these images to live under OTColoreds. I'm not sure how much of that is purely self-interest, since OTColoreds is the glory category insofar at OTColored get UNGed, and how much is a legitimate intent to put the arty things together. Even the arty part isn't simple, because they range from quite purty to not really purty at all. And the issue is more of a problem because I'd like to add some missing images that are like this. For instance, NP2004... half of the images there are in the grey area.

Ooh! A story! And songs! But I must
Spoiler:
wait for it
just for a bit.

ETA: Bwahahahaha! Bwahaha - I'm just going to laugh here for a while; feel free to carry on - hahahaha hahahahaha
hahahaha hee hee!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:39 am UTC

There is an Other Comic that shows a computer illiterate old folk at a computer.
The computer illiterate one is pleased with an accomplishment. Cueball listens.

The computer illiterate explains how the accomplishment was done.
(paraphrased) The Alt. Text says, "Never let them explain."

I am the computer illiterate one.
I have learned to bring this to my screen, at will.
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTC_Man ... rfall2.gif

I Love, Love, Love that WaterFall.
It lifts my spirit; Makes me Happy.

Yet; It has been 'lost' to me most of the Time.
I have it, now. You don't want to know.
Spoiler:
Somehow, I made it my Top Site.
I can see it anyTime I want, now.

I know The Creator of the WaterFall of Time made one with me in it.
That one is beyond my ability to find and retrieve. This one is Fine.
ggh; This post is so entertaining for me.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&start=101360#p4113674
I never step into the same thread twice.

ggh; Thank you for posting.
The River of Time flows on.

edit: of outside:
Spoiler:
What a beautiful night it is out there.
Cool not cold.

A large sliver of a moon is sinking into the mist of the sea early.
The dark sky is filled with bright stars. Mystical Time of year.
Last edited by addams on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:45 am UTC

Hooray, new Yappo recordings!

svenman wrote:Steakish story, mikrit! Rather ironic, though. Would you agree that it could be described as a parody?

Thanks! Yeah, I suppose so.

I have been trying to figure out how ggh can be so good at decyphering things like proto-Beanish, and I have come up with two theories:

1) ggh is a version of the GGH lattice-based asymmetric cryptosystem that has acquired sentience. It takes one to know one, eh? But your clever trick of changing your name to lowercase could not fool me forever, cryptobot!

2) The username "ggh" refers to the GGH gene, the Gamma-Glutamyl Hydrolase gene that hydrolyzes the polyglutamate sidechains of pteroylpolyglutamates, and progressively removes gamma-glutamyl residues from pteroylpoly-gamma-glutamate to yield pteroyl-alpha-glutamate (folic acid) and free glutamate, and which may play an important role in the bioavailability of dietary pteroylpolyglutamates and in the metabolism of pteroylpolyglutamates and antifolates. I mean, anyone who takes their username from such a context must be good at decyphering stuff.

On this topic, I think I have forgotten to congratulate ggh for decyphering my obscure book reference about a yip ago. Her solution appeared a few pages later about the time when I fell down into the basement again.

ETA: Her solution appeared here, but she never revealed the book title; she only gave another clue, enough to convince me she had the solution.

My two daughters had two very different approaches to playing hide-and-seek. The Big Daughter would hide, but as soon as she could hear the seeker come within a distance of 20 meters she would come out of hiding, screaming with excitement. The Medium-Sized Daughter could sit quietly in hiding forever; I think it took me ten minutes to find her once when she was hiding under a small table where I didn't realize she would fit.
I think ggh and my Medium-Sized Daughter have a lot in common. (By the way, we have only two children, but Medium-Sized Daughter never liked being called "small".)

References:
1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGH_encryption_scheme
2) http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=GGH
Last edited by mikrit on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

thunk

1190: "Live by the Thwapstick, then Die by it"

Postby thunk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:09 am UTC

It is now late enough so I can reward you with my mustardy taste in music in the form of an ottification.
There wasn't that much to change, surprisingly enough.
Zanclean
Based on "Bloodlip" by Matduke and Veela
Spoiler:
Our feet hit the ground and the birds fly away
And Lucky comes back like she’s made a mistake
We’ve learned all about it, but what is our fate?
Straight back to camp since there’s no time to waste
Get out of the castle whose windows are stained
Step over the Beanies who told us their names
Restrain our astoundment and swallow the pain
Deadly and treeish—it’s coming through
It’s coming for you.

I’m Meg, you might think it’s sweet
That I went uphill just to find the sea.
I have no clue where to find my family
They all miss me—but it had to be.
And like Cue, I’ve nowhere to sleep
So we wander around with the molpies here
Feeling old and alone though we’re young and free
Nowhere to go but home since it soon won’t be.

Listen, Rosetta
To our cold hearts knocking while you’re consoling us
Shouldn’t you be fixing
All the holes where that dam leaks
What do your spies see?
True, we are reckless, though we never intended to be so feckless
True, we’re both map thieves, but to find our way we had to nab these
Yes, it’s capricious, if we don’t go back then our tribe is finished
We are hopeless as we tear away

Sand formed into castles
Sticks from the river
Together we’ve built up
to great heights
Then what more?
The hillbullies leave
Brings them at ease...

Just a dip or so to go,
Both of us have but one goal
No need for the scenery, we do this or die
It’s Zanclean
The ocean comes.

True, we are reckless, though we never intended to be so feckless
True, we’re both map thieves, but to find our way we had to nab these
Yes, it’s capricious, if we don’t go back then our tribe is finished
We are hopeless as we tear away

Our feet hit the ground and the birds fly away
And Lucky comes back like she’s made a mistake
We’ve learned all about it, but what is our fate?
Straight back to home since there’s no time to waste
Get out of the castle whose windows are stained
Step over the Beanies who told us their names
Restrain our astoundment and swallow the pain
Deadly and treeish—it’s coming through
It’s coming for you.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:32 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks for the hint, balthapal! Now I've got the first digit!

So you now found out about one method of adding a little additional information (not alway useful) that I like.
some examples from the past.

So server names....I thought they were either namey or numbers separate by periods.
Yes. however,
Coincidence seems to only like numbers, no periods.
It doesn't want the name or address. It wants an ID.
BFTF replay

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm UTC

This has been a treeish OTTypage or two! Even if ggh's "Hi, Cue" doesn't "quite" work, it is redundantly self-referential, as it contains a high Q, having itself within itself. Perhaps it's a clue to the source of redundancy, and is why OTTers like haiku.

And thunk's Zanclean - the perfect topper!

And an awesomeful two scenes by mikrit; perhaps the beginning of a seaish epic? When edfel steps into the scene, things take a turn for the surreal. Sorry about your mustardy renovators. Sometimes it's hard to apply the first commandment when you really want to apply a thwapstick. Speaking of which...

Yappo is back with not one, but two SOTTys! (What else would you call a sung otty?) Awesomeful like a big tree! I love the thwapstick one - it makes thwapstick into a minor epithet - kind of like "darn it!" or "drat!". We need one like that; perfect! (mikrit might want a stronger one though.) :)

ggh wrote:Some more ketchup from NP2527, in which Jose tells us about his adventure in the crooked basement. Gee, in the context of the present conversation, I can only image how much more mustard there would have been if it had been anyone else doing that work. You weren't by any chance wearing a beanie while you fixed it, Jose?
No, but I wish I had a thwapstick!

HES wrote:300GB of Triple-A games and yet I'm Q04Bing instead.
Prayer is important; must not be forgot!

I enjoyed addams' Chinese clip - an interesting foray into a strange land. I wonder what the Chinese version for America would be like. btw, love your weather reports! You have a good eye for seeing, and fingers for poetry.

D'awwww! to SBN's wolpies!

balthasar_s wrote:² the Order of the Holy Contradiction will probably call me a heretic for this.
Not all things that can't happen will happen. This is because they must happen, and therefore might not. However, the comfy chair is over there waiting for you. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Spoiler:
Somehow, I made it my Top Site.
I can see it anyTime I want, now.

I know The Creator of the WaterFall of Time made one with me in it.
That one is beyond my ability to find and retrieve. This one is Fine.
I have good news and bad news:
Spoiler:
You have already found and retrieved the one with you in it.

You must just follow the First Commandment.
Assuming that yappo is the first OTTer/otter you see, you will be the 41st; you're just after HES.

ETA:
mikrit wrote:On this topic, I think I have forgotten to congratulate ggh for decyphering my obscure book reference about a yip ago. Her solution appeared a few pages later about the time when I fell down into the basement again.

ETA: Her solution appeared here, but she never revealed the book title; she only gave another clue, enough to convince me she had the solution.

My two daughters had two very different approaches to playing hide-and-seek. The Big Daughter would hide, but as soon as she could hear the seeker come within a distance of 20 meters she would come out of hiding, screaming with excitement. The Medium-Sized Daughter could sit quietly in hiding forever; I think it took me ten minutes to find her once when she was hiding under a small table where I didn't realize she would fit.
I think ggh and my Medium-Sized Daughter have a lot in common. (By the way, we have only two children, but Medium-Sized Daughter never liked being called "small".)
Loved your story! Especially the kicker at the end. :) Also I learned what a neat line is. Sequels, I hope?

And now I've learned a bunch about my initials. I'm kinda embarrassed that I'd never gone looking to see if ggh meant anything besides me. Appalling lack of curiosity? Or just way too much confidence in my own snowflakitude?

The Little Wonder's approach to hide-and-seek is like your Big Daughter's - treeish! I didn't know that was a thing. I always played it as you suspected, like your Medium-Sized Daughter. :) I think I've lost a lot of that patience though.H
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:25 pm UTC

A break from your regularly scheduled Time Thread:

http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/OTC_Man ... anther.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmSTSRIdgk

We return to your regularly scheduled Time Thread

edit: Please excuse me.
I have been wandering the Wiki.

Time has been creative and funny.
I was humbled while In My Pants.
http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/In_My_P ... OTC_Manips

Time; I am grateful beyond words.
Thank you for letting me tag along.

Where is BlitzGirl?
Spoiler:
Nope. I checked.
She's not in my pants.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:I've been sitting on these recordings of OTTifications for ages and thought I otter* actually post them… I think I was holding off because I wanted to make videos for them (just using OTC frames) but eh, better to just get the songs out there instead of sitting on them!

Both OTTifications I did ages ago (three yips in fact, baobabs!) of songs by a very NSFW comedy musical act. But my versions are perfectly tame :P

1) Thwapsticks (Original post with lyrics)
2) Use Our Castle As A Raft (lyrics)

Hope you enjoy! Especially my silly mock Essex accent to mimic the originals :P

*Well BlitzGirl hasn't been seen in ages, I think we're safe! PUNARCHY IN THE OTT!
Spoiler:
ImageTo be honest, I feel a bit disturbed that this already exists.
Also.... Perfectly tame?!!?? I actually just googled "shiny cock" to see if there was a SFW interpretation of that I was overlooking.
Guess how well that went.

Otter than that, Awesomeful, as usual yappo! I'm so glad you stopped waiting. ...wait.

I keep forgetting to post the completednot really greenhouse pics. Here they are:
Spoiler:
These photos were from Nov 20 and 21. Since then, lots more seedlings have moved in, and the tomato plants have become much less healthy. The weekend that followed brought three days of strong northerlies (max gusts: 106, 109, 129m/h) and two joints needed to be smacked back into shape gently with a hammer afterwards, so yeah, I've still got to keep an eye on it.

not really Ratproofing, birdproofing, and blocking some more wind from the triangle under the roof are still on the to-do list

rsir:
Spoiler:
IMG_2572.JPG
IMG_2576.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG
Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.52.14 AM.png

ETA: BFTF Replay seems broken for me - stuck on 424. Is it broken on purpose?
And Frame 425 has an odd date:
It would look like a typo, but it's not the only odd date we've seen recently.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

ggh wrote:ETA: BFTF Replay seems broken for me - stuck on 424. Is it broken on purpose?
No.
I fill fix it today.
And Frame 425 has an odd date:
[...]
It would look like a typo,
It is. And that's the reason. It still waits until 31.19 to ong the frame.
These were the results of ct-if's futile attempts to interpret the "E"s as numbers.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:07 pm UTC

I tried both 424 and 425 as Coincidence server IDs, but no luck.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:39 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

I fixed the bftf replay.
BFTF replay

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:35 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Also.... Perfectly tame?!!?? I actually just googled "shiny cock" to see if there was a SFW interpretation of that I was overlooking.
Guess how well that went.

Oh yes... forgot about that one... oops.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:09 pm UTC

Having passed what small portion of the OTC I followed in its past present, I now post a celebratory photograph of my pet squirlpy from years ago.
Leon The Squirrel.jpg
Aww, he's so cute.

My apologies for the poor image quality; past me was woefully inconsiderate about preserving high quality pictures for present me.

Redundant
Spoiler:
Imagesort of
Babymolp.jpeg

Edited to spoiler large image.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm UTC

Awww - cute squirpy! You rescued him as a baby?

Treeish otty, thunk! It's funny how Zanclean only means to me what it means here....

Thanks, balthastar! Sorry if I pounced on that tactlessly - I thought I was on the trail of something tastier than a bug. I feel like I've been less than molpish to you recently in general though. Does FTD deliver to the moon?
Agatha the Awesomeful

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:56 pm UTC

Enjoyed the opportunity to more fully work out my previously only vague notions about categorizing some OTT art for the One True Wiki:

ggh wrote:
svenman wrote:One particular class of colormanip that has given me trouble to categorize are crossings of famous paintings with OTC content. When wikifying these, I stuck to an unwritten (imagined?) rule that a colorization always has to be linked to a particular OTC frame, even if the exact frame may be ambiguous in some cases. But if OTC content from different frames turns up in the same image, then I would not consider it a colorization (of one OTC frame) and therefore had to place it under "OTC Manips", for want of a better-fitting category. [Edit 2: Neither would I if the composition of the colormanipped image strayed too far from the corresponding OTC frame.] The result was that some of the famous paintings/OTC content crossings turned up under "OTC Manips" and some under "OTColored" even though they felt very similar in intent. Maybe they deserve a page of their own? But that requires a good name.
Hmm, yes. That's a toughie. You're mostly talking about these, eh? (Hmm, why don't img tags work with these?)

Yes, precisely. Just as well that you couldn't get img tags to work, wikia doesn't like images on their servers being directly embedded into other webpages (including forum posts) and starts to serve them up in unmolpishly changed resolutions after a while when they detect that happening.

And I've had to reconsider; beyond the common aspect of combining famous paintings with OTC content the intents do seem to vary. Some of those indeed seem to have been made for the purpose of illustrating OTC frames using parts taken from famous paintings, while others appear to have been made more along the lines of taking bits from the OTC (sometimes just some dialogue) and putting them into a well-known work of art. In other words, the distinction for me is whether I find the content of a particular timeframe in essence fully represented in a manipped image or not. Borderline cases notwithstanding, that does justify dividing them up between "OTC Manips" and "OTColored". One could, however, make a new wiki page where these images associated with famous works of art are collected in addition to their remaining on "OTC Manips" and "OTColored".

ggh wrote:Me, I'd be really tempted to throw the first two and yappo's tsunami into OTColoreds, with the multi-frame one arbitrarily listed under the final frame, with a parenthetical reference to the other frames. (Or, as a dodgy workaround, I could 'erase' some of the dialogue to remove the issue.) Actually, I think I might even go as far as to move yappo's Dali too. Charlie's pic... I kinda would like to see it there too, but the total lack of any representation of the Cuegan and the other dialogue... it just seems too incomplete. That's just my 2 cents - I don't think it would be wrong if they stayed where they are either.

I'm most inclined to agree about the first one. I think I didn't put that one on "OTColored" only because the OTC art is reduced in size relative to the dimensions of the image, which I fully admit is kinda weak as a reason. With the "tsunami" one (where the previous reasoning also applies in addition) I see a little more justification as the manip shows the raftcastle with the Cueganites in a much more dangerous situation than in the original timeframe.

Disagree about the "Two Men by the Sea" manip: You couldn't very well use that as a stand-in for the original corresponding timeframes (even bundled together) because there is no Megan and no Cueball to be seen! Just some OTC dialogue added to a painting that happens to show the same number of persons in a similar situation as in the corresponding stretch of the OTC. (That said, as such it works very well and is a very clever and steakish manip.)

The Dalí manip also doesn't quite work as an OTColored in my opinion - while we do have a bit of original OTC stick figure art included here, the two protagonists and Megan's one word of dialogue are entirely lifted out of the original context and re-framed (no pun intended) in a completely different one.

Agreed about the Picasso manip. Very little of the content of the timeframe where the dialogue is taken from is represented in the manip.

ggh wrote:Another big group that's currently split up, and that I could see going into either category is the one where the OTC is not enhanced so much as relocated - on a stomach, on a shirt, on a horse, on a butterfly... ... on an ant farm, on a leaf, on a monument... ...window, barn, cake, cheese... ...puddle, map, eyelid, more cake.... I admit I am guilty for many, but not all, of these. Most of the things in the OTColored category I could imagine as illustrations in a book of Time where the OTA chose not to be the OTI, but not those relocated images, and yet I kinda want these images to live under OTColoreds. I'm not sure how much of that is purely self-interest, since OTColoreds is the glory category insofar at OTColored get UNGed, and how much is a legitimate intent to put the arty things together. Even the arty part isn't simple, because they range from quite purty to not really purty at all. And the issue is more of a problem because I'd like to add some missing images that are like this. For instance, NP2004... half of the images there are in the grey area.

I can really sympathize with your difficulties to categorize these but am afraid I haven't got any helpful input on those either. Except for one rather technical observation with questionable relevance: OTColoreds nearly always conform to the OTC's image dimensions of 553 × 395 pixels, while OTC manips... also do most of the time, as I now see. Okay, nothing to see here, move along.

---

Treeish recordings, yappo!

Addams, is this the othercomic you were thinking of?

Steakish song ottification, thunk!

ucim wrote:Even if ggh's "Hi, Cue" doesn't "quite" work, it is redundantly self-referential, as it contains a high Q, having itself within itself.

Oh yes, it still is really really clever all the same.

And Randallspeed, ggh, with getting your treeish riverish greenhouse fully weather- and windproof!

By the way, I'll have to relocate to the Shed for much of the coming two wips. In accessing the OTT I will be limited to my MTA for much of that time, on which it is steambottlish to write anything longer than very brief posts.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm UTC

What an awesomeful view of and from that greenhouse ggh! I see you live by the sea. Be careful now, you may think you're safe because you're high up, but the sea is big, and does what it wants.

I hope it wants to stay right where it is. :)

For my own projects, I'm almost done with another corner of the basement. Studded, insulated, rewindow and redoored, and just awaiting walls. One corner to go (which will have to wait until spring, as it needs to be rewindowed and I'm not doing that in winter!

What a cute little squirpy (is that the same one as a baby in the spoiler?) GnomeAnne!

In perusing some financial materials, I was pointed to The Guru and the Cat, a (short) story of great wisdom, which made me think of addams, as it's the kind of story I think she'd cotton to.

And that's all I have for now. I may have had more in the past, but can no longer recall. It may come back in the future. All things do, if you annoy (where is she anyway? I've been in the basement all day and haven't seen her!) TheMinim enough. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Eternal Density

Re: This is what happens when GrapeChannel

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:58 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
addams wrote:oh, ED; I tried. I failed.
That is too sophisticated for me.
Or; Chat is something I don't know.

I hope you have a wonder-full-woofy Time with all The Channels.
Tried too. failed too. But. That was not my computer. I'll retry at home.
Spoiler:
Or I'll go back to using Coincidence.

This is what happens when GrapeChannel :D

Also, the humanprove has <input>s which are not inside a <form>. How will it know?
Redundant
wzorki.png
Hmm, that means it did definitely connect but somehow your browser got a sessionkey for a session that doesn't exist. I'll make it deal with that situation more gracefully, and let you know when I have a (potential) fix available.

It doesn't need a <form> because it's not using HTTP POST. Once the page is loaded it doesn't communicate with the server with HTTP but with WebSocket.
ggh wrote:I used GrapeChannel a bit - treeish! - but ran into a little snag as well. I demonstrated my humanity and joined, wrote a few things, wandered away, came back and was kicked off for being away too long. I couldn't rejoin though, because the capcha (or whatever you call it) was gone.
Spoiler:
Yes it does disconnect you after 30 minutes of inactivity, or 2 hours if you use /afk to say you'll be away. Refreshing the page will get you back in, but I still need to a) make it display a message to tell you what happened and probably b) add a way to reconnect without refreshing the page.

PUG stands for Python User Group.

I noticed in the OtherComicThread that user SoupSpoon has 1190 posts! viewtopic.php?f=7&t=120913#p4114317
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:58 am UTC

svenman wrote:Addams, is this the othercomic you were thinking of?
Yes.
(you are amazing)

Now that I see the comic....well....
Don't worry. I won't tell you 'How' I did it.
Because; I don't know.
Spoiler:
Remember; The best way to keep a secret is to not have a secret.
GnomeAnne!
GnomeAnne!
What a strange and wonderful Big-Footed Baby picture!

ggh Wrote:
The weekend that followed brought three days of strong northerlies (max gusts: 106, 109, 129m/h) and two joints needed to be smacked back into shape gently with a hammer afterwards, so yeah, I've still got to keep an eye on it.

not really Ratproofing, bird proofing, and blocking some more wind from the triangle under the roof are still on the to-do list
ggh;Thank you for taking us along on The Adventure.
A modest hot house and boats bobbing in the distance.

What a wonderful world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3yCcXgbKrE

edit: Yes, Jose. That is a story I would retell.
Spoiler:
A new bride was being taught The Traditions of her new family.
One important Tradition was the preparation of the Baked Beast Dinner.

An inch was cut from each end of the hunk of flesh.
That meat was used in the rue for the gravy-sauces.
The gravies and sauces were rich, full and delicious.

The bride was asking questions.
She was told, "No one knows."

At dinner, as conversation she said,
"No one knows Why we cut an inch from each end of the Baked Beast."
Yet; I will faithfully cut the ends. I will teach it to my children, also."

The oldest woman at the table said, "I know Why we cut the ends."
"When I was a bride my pan was too small for the Baked Beast to fit."

"I cut off the ends, to make the Baked Beast fit into the pan."
"As you can see and taste the end cuts improved the sauces."

"From my poverty of cookware in my youth came thick/rich sauces as a Tradition for my family in my old age."

"He brought me amble flesh I learned to create rich food."
"I did not complain to my husband about my small pan."

Everyone at the table was so surprised.
The pot was too small!
The pot was too small!

When it came to Rituals and Traditions,
I was taught to say, "The pot is too small."
Last edited by addams on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

x2 combo

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 am UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks, balthastar! Sorry if I pounced on that tactlessly - I thought I was on the trail of something tastier than a bug.
I wouldn't probably notice it for some more time. And if I didn't notice it until the end of the year it could go undetected for another year. (1.1.2017 it would start working again, because 20170101 is bigger than 20161931). And I prefer my bugs to be noticed (and fixed)
Related: My current job at my ffs is to find other people's bugs.

Also, it's understandable. I didn't provide enough information. (I didn't want things to happen too quickly. I needed to prepare something.) So everything unusual suddenly seemed to be related.
Odd date in bftfreplay? - must be related! (actually, just my bug. also, how would you react if that was an even date?)
Odd date in the chronotransponder? - must be related (actually, it's just its standard reaction to non-numbers)
it wasn't related until you made it (I was nerdsniped into writing this post). Also, I was a little surprised that when you learned to use the chronotransponder (assuming that it was related) you didn't try using it to your advantage.

Continuing on odd numbers (even when they are even),
why does coincidence want some number and not an address?
it's native communication method is not tcp/ip.
It can be configured to connect by tcp/ip to a gateway server which then uses the 5-digit ID to route the connection to the actual server.
It knows what address each server has.
You already have the first digit. The second one is empty.
And the last three? two digits combined give you the last one (what a coincidence!) and (what a coincidence x2 combo!) they are for some reason related to my birthday.

I feel like I've been less than molpish to you recently in general though.
???
Does FTD deliver to the moon?
FTD? friendly thoughts delivery?
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:23 am UTC

ucim wrote:What a cute little squirpy (is that the same one as the baby in the spoiler?) GnomeAnne!
Jose
ggh wrote:Awww - cute squirpy! You rescued him as a baby?

Yes to bothETA, when I get some free time I'll attempt to recall some of the more interesting stories from that summer and post them.

As I tread the past of Time I have found disturbing the number and frequency of individuals who, after joining the thread, vying for ONGs, contributing poems and artwork, and becoming a familiar and beloved part of the community, simply stop posting, leaving no explanation for their departure. I wonder how many pine for the family they could have here, how many scoff at the childish antics they once deigned to partake in, how many would have sworn they would never leave, only to find themselves drifting away... I also sometimes wonder why I post here when I should be comaing, as I tend to say things, the memory of which is enough to make me wake up hot all over for nights to come.

Here's this ) for your location tag

@balthasar:Florists' Transworld Delivery.

You'll be wanting to contact their sister company, Florists' Interworld Delivery, for off planet locations.

ETA:Does anyone still call them squirlpys?
Would anyone mind if I did?
Wait For It.

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:11 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:As I tread the past of Time I have found disturbing the number and frequency of individuals who, after joining the thread, vying for ONGs, contributing poems and artwork, and becoming a familiar and beloved part of the community, simply stop posting, leaving no explanation for their departure. I wonder how many pine for the family they could have here, how many scoff at the childish antics they once deigned to partake in, how many would have sworn they would never leave, only to find themselves drifting away... I also sometimes wonder why I post here when I should be comaing, as I tend to say things, the memory of which is enough to make me wake up hot all over for nights to come.
There may simply not be a specific or well-defined reason to stop posting. An unexpected call of the Outside, an imperceptibly gradual loss of interest, an overwhelming sense of expectation... Some others on the other hand are still present, but may no longer post, perhaps feeling they have nothing meaningful to contribute. There are many ways to Time, and, unfortunately, at least as many ways to leave Time.

ETA:Does anyone still call them squirlpys?
Would anyone mind if I did?
Not that I know of, but please, go ahead. Ni ni ni chupasqirlpy ping pong ball and all that ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:09 pm UTC

svenman wrote:Yes, precisely. Just as well that you couldn't get img tags to work, wikia doesn't like images on their servers being directly embedded into other webpages (including forum posts) and starts to serve them up in unmolpishly changed resolutions after a while when they detect that happening.
Oh - good to know.

And this is kinda embarrassing, but is there a special way to get a newline on the wiki? Seems like if I hit enter once, it just ignores me and carries on on the same line. Also, after adding an image, I wasn't sure how to make the next line of text appear under the image.

And I've had to reconsider; beyond the common aspect of combining famous paintings with OTC content the intents do seem to vary. Some of those indeed seem to have been made for the purpose of illustrating OTC frames using parts taken from famous paintings, while others appear to have been made more along the lines of taking bits from the OTC (sometimes just some dialogue) and putting them into a well-known work of art. In other words, the distinction for me is whether I find the content of a particular timeframe in essence fully represented in a manipped image or not. Borderline cases notwithstanding, that does justify dividing them up between "OTC Manips" and "OTColored". One could, however, make a new wiki page where these images associated with famous works of art are collected in addition to their remaining on "OTC Manips" and "OTColored".

ggh wrote:Me, I'd be really tempted to throw the first two and yappo's tsunami into OTColoreds, with the multi-frame one arbitrarily listed under the final frame, with a parenthetical reference to the other frames. (Or, as a dodgy workaround, I could 'erase' some of the dialogue to remove the issue.) Actually, I think I might even go as far as to move yappo's Dali too. Charlie's pic... I kinda would like to see it there too, but the total lack of any representation of the Cuegan and the other dialogue... it just seems too incomplete. That's just my 2 cents - I don't think it would be wrong if they stayed where they are either.

I'm most inclined to agree about the first one. I think I didn't put that one on "OTColored" only because the OTC art is reduced in size relative to the dimensions of the image, which I fully admit is kinda weak as a reason. With the "tsunami" one (where the previous reasoning also applies in addition) I see a little more justification as the manip shows the raftcastle with the Cueganites in a much more dangerous situation than in the original timeframe.

Disagree about the "Two Men by the Sea" manip: You couldn't very well use that as a stand-in for the original corresponding timeframes (even bundled together) because there is no Megan and no Cueball to be seen! Just some OTC dialogue added to a painting that happens to show the same number of persons in a similar situation as in the corresponding stretch of the OTC. (That said, as such it works very well and is a very clever and steakish manip.)
You're completely right. This is going to seem epsilon, especially so because it's called "Two Men by the Sea", but somehow my brain just didn't flag that those two humans weren't the right genders. Maybe I was just projecting OTC way too much; I didn't even blink that Megan was in drag. Oops.
The Dalí manip also doesn't quite work as an OTColored in my opinion - while we do have a bit of original OTC stick figure art included here, the two protagonists and Megan's one word of dialogue are entirely lifted out of the original context and re-framed (no pun intended) in a completely different one.
Heehee - yes I think I was trying to get that one in on a technicality, in that they are looking at a weird tree. That might have been a bit cheeky of me. :)

ggh wrote:Another big group that's currently split up, and that I could see going into either category is the one where the OTC is not enhanced so much as relocated - on a stomach, on a shirt, on a horse, on a butterfly... ... on an ant farm, on a leaf, on a monument... ...window, barn, cake, cheese... ...puddle, map, eyelid, more cake.... I admit I am guilty for many, but not all, of these. Most of the things in the OTColored category I could imagine as illustrations in a book of Time where the OTA chose not to be the OTI, but not those relocated images, and yet I kinda want these images to live under OTColoreds. I'm not sure how much of that is purely self-interest, since OTColoreds is the glory category insofar at OTColored get UNGed, and how much is a legitimate intent to put the arty things together. Even the arty part isn't simple, because they range from quite purty to not really purty at all. And the issue is more of a problem because I'd like to add some missing images that are like this. For instance, NP2004... half of the images there are in the grey area.

I can really sympathize with your difficulties to categorize these but am afraid I haven't got any helpful input on those either. Except for one rather technical observation with questionable relevance: OTColoreds nearly always conform to the OTC's image dimensions of 553 × 395 pixels, while OTC manips... also do most of the time, as I now see. Okay, nothing to see here, move along.
I guess I'll ponder that one some more. The intent is still a big thing, but maybe not as straightforward as I had hoped. Even just looking at my own I feel like there's a line I don't quite know how to put into words. For instance, I feel like some of my creatures wearing frames are fun mediums for the OTC, and therefore OTColoreds, but when I see the glass monument UNGed, I wince a little because I feel like that is more about Sandcastle Builder than the OTC (or maybe it's because it didn't come out very well). I also feel that way about this Hallowe'eny image, which fits most definitions of OTColored, but was more about pointing out that the background could be seen like a creepy jack'o'lantern in the spirit of the season.

Gack. I babble.

ucim wrote:What an awesomeful view of and from that greenhouse ggh! I see you live by the sea. Be careful now, you may think you're safe because you're high up, but the sea is big, and does what it wants.

I hope it wants to stay right where it is. :)
We're about 40 meters up, and we can get another 10 meters by going up our path to the car. In front of our neighbour is a local maximum, and we all know how dangerous they are, but that'll be where we make our stand. If a tsunami reaches us there, Plan B is the Little Wonder's swim ring.

For my own projects, I'm almost done with another corner of the basement. Studded, insulated, rewindow and redoored, and just awaiting walls. One corner to go (which will have to wait until spring, as it needs to be rewindowed and I'm not doing that in winter!
Can the basement
Spoiler:
wait for it?
Aaaaaa! Paradox!

Also: tired. More in the More'ning.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

ggh wrote:but when I see the glass monument UNGed, I wince a little because I feel like that is more about Sandcastle Builder than the OTC (or maybe it's because it didn't come out very well).
Oh me yarm that is one of the most awesomeful ones! I can't even imagine what must have been in your head if you don't think that one came out well!

ggh wrote:Can the basement...
You're asking this of the basement of the Pope of the Holy Contradiction? Ask Katie - she knows all about waiting for it. :)

ggh wrote:Also: tired. More in the More'ning.
Don't think you're getting away with that one!

Jose

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:57 pm UTC

*pauses briefly while running after raptors and zombies*

mikrit wrote:And I had an idea for a Time cartoon, but I am still recovering from the effort of drawing just a six-panel comic some years ago (my admiration for taixzo, silenttimer and of course GLR is too large for words). However, I realized that my idea works pretty well as just dialogue.

So, I want you to imagine an alternative universe where Megan didn't steal the maps from Rosetta, but acquired them in another way.

Scene 1
Megan and Cueball are running away from Rosetta to save their tribe, as they approach Mr. Expando, who just happens to speak Cuaganese, although his italic accent makes him hard to understand. Megan is the faster runner (thanks to Panther salve!) and arrives first.

Expando: Please stop, girl.
Megan: What?
Expando: These valuable maps may help you in your quest, but before I give them away, I want to be sure that you can use them.
Megan: Huh?
Expando: You must answer three questions.
Expando: What's this area here?
Megan: The sea is big.
Expando: Correct. What about this line?
Megan: The river is small.
Expando: Also correct. How would you describe this part?
Megan: More world. Maybe different.
Expando: Ah, that's a bit too vague, but I will give you another chance: what's this line that separates the map from the margin?
Megan: Neat.
Expando: Yes, it's the neatline. Very good. I was afraid you were ignorant barbarians, but you have convinced me otherwise. Please take these maps, and may the Lord be with you.
Megan: Thanks.

Scene 2
Cueball has catched up and they continue running.

Cueball: What did you and Big Hat Guy talk about?
Megan: Just some small talk.
Cueball: But you are terrible at small talk. You just keep repeating the same catch phrases over and over.
Megan: I know you think so, but he seemed to be pleased.
Cueball: Why did he give you all that pergament?
Megan: I think he wanted to help us. And it was a good gift, because I figure we can make a new bag out of it.
Cueball: Pity about all the black smudges.

:AZULE:!!!

Oh, hey, someone made addams an awesomeful hat for her deepmolpy--ergman maybe? I tried to find it yesterday with no luck. Does anyone know what NP it's on?

*continues to run after raptors and zombies*

ETA D'awww, squirlpy!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Time to cease all motor functions"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm UTC

Gotta sat, Yappo's news songs are molpish.

THWAPSTICKS!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm UTC

Haven't had time to listen to yappo's recordings, but I see that I owe him one of these:

BlitzGirl may not be around, but her smiley repository, complete with punsaws, remains. :twisted: Vitsagen, ja!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2

Postby mscha » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm UTC

BARRONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by cupfork.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN B4 408 VESTS-OF-MANY-POCKETSES