1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gingercat

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Gingercat » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:14 pm UTC

ucim wrote:That is, unless First Cleric eats the cassette. But he wouldn't do that, would he? :)

Nah. That guy is wheels within wheels; his ka is not to eat the tape (like a hungry cassette player I used to know) but to find an entirely new way of playing it, I'm certain.

Popecat Decree: Provide theories on First Cleric's next move.

For Decree: I believe he's going to find an Unusual Device from the Future, put the tape in it, and access hidden data!
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

mrob27

1190: Time: YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A BALTCASSETTE

Postby mrob27 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Oh… something I forgot to mention: at some point on that day it was all going down, balthasar's sig read "It's happeninh!" There is that bit in balthasar's sig that says it's autogenerated. That may be RELATED too. That's why I was asking you if you grabbed sigs. Would it be easy to keep an eye on balthasar's sig with greater frequency? […]

The only Balthasig I have with "happen" in it is
balthasar_s wrote: (20140222.12:58:06)
this. also, this. (374/1370)(1691/1759). # Why does this happen when I'm 80km away?
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage

I am reluctant to monitor things any more than I am already doing. It is good for OTTers to be able to fix mistakes. For example, if there were an accidental ONG that happened before it was supposed to, I'd like to be able to edit my post to remove the link. I might share personal information that I (later) feel I really shouldn't have. Clearly it's also important to be able to recover old posts, particularly if someone edited/deleted something for "bad" reasons (whatever that means).

This is not a decree, but I have questions for everyone:

If "edits" means any change to anything (avatar, Location, Signature, subject lines and posts), then please:
Tell us reasons why it would be good to monitor history of edits.
Tell us reasons why it would not be good to monitor history of edits.
Tell us reasons why it would be bad to monitor history of edits.
Tell us reasons why it would not be bad to monitor history of edits.
Tell us any other reasons why monitoring history of edits might be <your-adjective-here>.

In each case consider the best and worst possible consequences of monitoring, which includes the possibility of sharing the information that was monitored.

ETA: Image
BSTA 000022
by mrob27 » ONGing BSTA 000022 at 20170113 02:00:31 UTC = newpix 33479.01
Examine things on the wall

On the wall you find a clock, some drawings and a calendar.
The clock doesn't work.

BBcode lovingly left unconverted by makepost

TUNO = 33 hours
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

the Bunliubnite was apparently making the OTT's dragons go into and out of the Basement at will. Whenever the Thread got slow and e****ishness seemed imminent, this Tornater would post, claiming to have blitzed through the Past and PMd a dragon or two, answer the decree of the current page with a summary of old dracoposts -- from Newpages where no one had recalled seeing xem before -- and then baobabishly a long-quiet dragon would reveal xemself. Nomolpy understood quite how Tornater did this, since he was never seen in person nor anyplace online apart from the OTT. True, the guarantee he offered for dragon-unbasementing -- *dragerisis* -- was only probabilistic; though one ruler did pay him by similar means, that is, in digital currency that was only statistically real. From that point on he made sure to use Aqua Regula to test the temporal stability of any payment. One molpish afternoon Mrorl and Balthacarius met to discuss their mysterious new colleague:
  "Have you heard about this Tornater?" asked Mrorl.
  "Yes."
  "Well, what do you think?"
  "Very epsilon. And E**dish."
  "I agree. How do you suppose he does it?"
  "With a temporal modulator."
  "Probabilistic time-travel?"

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 am UTC

When ggh found a spoiler in bsta, our posts, balthasar's reply, and the subsequent flurry of editing would have been quite entertaining to have recorded, but would also spoil a future bsta event for whoever went over the logs.

I once posted a rather poorly done remake of a song. If I knew logs were being kept, I would have deleted it later, once I started reading in the present and realised how much classier the culture here had grown from the early past where I was when I made it; but as it is I simply [s]'ed it.

Also, in retrospect, I should not have linked to the version of the Christmas video that was on a family member's channel.
The point is moot now that the link was quoted, but had the original post been recorded in an edit log, even changing the link now would not erase it from collective memory.

However, redundancy is almost never a bad thing, and in case of accidental deletion or hints for a puzzle that were only shown for a short time, records would be nice to have. And I personally would enjoy an history of avatars.

I don't think recording edits is necessarily a bad thing so long as they are private logs and, in the case of redacted statements or personal information, the content is not reposted publicly without the original poster's seal of approval.

mrob27 wrote:
The clock doesn't work.

HA!
This is why the ONG is slightly off, the clock is broken.

I made a quick mock up of the greenhouse in sketchup with the diagonal bracing taixzo recommended and 2x4 frames on the ceiling panels.
you might also try using angle iron for added support on the corners, and #2 square drive screws are far easier to drive than philips.

Untitled3.png
Untitled2.png

The only problem with the cross members is that they reduce the already minimal headroom.
Diagonal bracing along the sides might help with stability and tie in the lower sections with the roof a little better; and I think using full 2x4's for the verticals in each corner would help since the smaller pieces used in the first iteration seem to have snapped.

RSIR
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Image credit:budgetheating.com
Wait For It.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Eternal Density

Plantcastle m*stard = 33

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:44 am UTC

I've been thinking about my leopad the last couple of dips. In the last mip I've had some problems with it running hot and reshoeing itself. While a leopad was molipsh for the journey over things that are big to attend OTTerCon 2 yips ago (baobabs!) I think that a high-end leopad isn't actually the best use of funds. The cheap ones are alright if you're not trying to do anything too fancy with them, but for someone like me having a real <computery stuff doer> is more appropriate. A riverish lapleopard (not much bigger than the larger variety of leopads) can be had for a similar or even much lower price. A lapleopard is a real organised sand, not a limited one that you have to dig out of the ground or free from prison to be able to alter it as much as you'd like to. And a lapleopard has USB ports to plug in peripherals. So when I do decide to replace the leopad I think I'll get a riverish lapleopard instead of an other leopad. Besides, the leopad market appears to be slowing down and some manufacturers haven't ONGed a newmodel on schedule.
I haven't decided which I'd get though. Except not HP. I don't really like HP. My first lapleopard was a HP and felt a bit ch*rpy. The next one (which I still have and occasionally use even after 5 or so yips, even though it's a nuisance to take places because it's about as seaish as a lapleopard can be (though I heard about a new one todip which is even more seaish) and isn't really comfortable in a lap) is a Toshiba one (I named it Shiba, before I knew about doge (the wolpy meme), lol) which was a lot better, though Toshiba don't seem to do very riverish ones so I'll have to choose something else.
There's also Chromebooks which are a bit treeish and can be made to run full Linux but I read that doing that is a bit ch*rpy so I think I'd rather not, besides I think I'd rather double-shoe it with ten looking panes, even though windows are structural weaknesses, cos they are sometimes useful to have around just in case.

Sorry I don't have more of the story to share yet. Still not sure of what title I should actually use.
Char and the Mage Stones
Mage Stones 2: Search for more Mage Stones
Mage Stones 3: Chaos of the Mage Stones
Except the nickname 'Char' might not stick around for long so it seems silly to put it in the book title.
'Chaos of the Mage Stones' just seems like a treeish name even though it's a bit overdramatic and tacky and inspired by The Shadow War of the Night Dragons.
But maybe I should use something totally different.

Okay this has been 'rambling with ED'
Boop!

ETA:
NewShirts! And posters. But nothing Timey :( Why GLR?
The Overthinking shirt is a bit tempting though.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:15 pm UTC

:shock:
*goes outside to count the railings on my deck*
GnomeAnne that's amazing!

There's a reason I'm checking the OTT so late today. Well actually, I checked it this morning, but I didn't have Time to post anything. We headed out to a playdate, where I also gave away another 27 plants, and then off to the dentist. I kept thinking about taixzo's proposed cross. I know it makes sense, but I'm not good at ducking, and also I want to block as little light as possible. But it does make sense. And I could maybe get around the headroom issue by raising the whole thing six inches or so. I'd have to step over the entrance then, but that might be okay.

But the other thing that kept going through my head, was that if I explained where the structure was coming from, no one would wonder why the greenhouse blew down, they'd wonder how it ever stood in the first place. The plexiglass is doing all the work. Those uprights that are missing in the back didn't break off - they're barely attached to begin with. Take away the plexiglass and they fall over without any wind at all. I thought, maybe I'll have to design and build this thing right, and I don't know if I've got that in me.

So we got back home around 5, and it seemed not especially windy, and I thought of the First Cleric. Jose nailed me - I was going to press play and wait for days, afraid of doing it wrong.
Once set up in their secret room at the base of the Cathedral, Second Scribe and Agatha the Awesomeful puzzled over the simple symbols that were on the keys: circles, squares, triangles, lines. Clearly this was the work of an organized mind. Now, what would First Cleric do? Clearly he'd just press a button to see what would happen. They had to not do that!
What would First Cleric do? So I went up and reassembled the greenhouse, the same way that it was when it fell down.
It didn't even take as long as I thought it would. By nightfall, the plants were back inside.

Was it a mistake? I don't know.

Then I checked the forum after dinner and saw this gorgeous mock-up. Baobabs! I feel bad I squandered the fine designs and advice.

Ketchup later.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:44 am UTC

ggh wrote:Well, it's not too late, but don't get too excited either - Neil, flado, Link and ergman have been waiting for theirs for... baobabs... two-and-a-half years. Holy molpy. There are OTTers who have been waiting on a PM reply from me for close to a year-and-a-half. Yikes!

Indeed, I've been invoking the wrath of Corinne for some time hoping you might finally explain all the other little bits you sent me along with the magnets ;)

In other news, my theatre company are working on our next major production, and it's going to be a bit... seaish.
Spoiler:

It will of course once again feature a complete yappo original soundtrack.
It also finally explains the new location I've had for a while ;)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1798

Postby mscha » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:00 am UTC

GRONGIER...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THIS IS PHOTOSHOPPED. I CAN TELL BY THE MOLPHINS, AND FROM HAVING SEEN A LOT OF SHIPCASTLES IN MY DIP

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:43 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
ucim wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Perhaps the server is misbehaving because it knows balthasar will not be here to watch it.
Maybe we should call a quantum mechanic?
I looked at the logs and it lloked like it didn't have internet access again.
But was something wrong with the server or the whole place didn't have internet?
Will not be easy to find out - Each time (3 in the recent times) it happened at night when nobody was awake.
Maybe the ISP is disconnecting and hoping that nobody will notice???
I will try to find out when I return.
I found out what was happening.
The botcastle was indeed losing its internet connection but not because of the ISP. Someone at home was actually disconnecting it at night. But the network was disconnected in an incorrect point. They wanted to disconnect something else but it also affected the botcastle.
I offered new instructions and this should not repeat.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 am UTC

ucim wrote:Husks FTW.
I looked that up, never having heard of them, and treeish! I think buckwheat hulls were what I was looking for to stuff a beanbag that the Little Wonder's Dad gave to her. They just seemed so much nicer than puffy chemically stuff to sink into, but I couldn't find any, and the beanbag is still empty a year later. I may give in soon.

I have to think a bit more about the history of edits thing, but my initial thought is that I agree with everything GnomeAnne says.

Eternal Density wrote:Sorry I don't have more of the story to share yet. Still not sure of what title I should actually use.
Char and the Mage Stones
Mage Stones 2: Search for more Mage Stones
Mage Stones 3: Chaos of the Mage Stones
Except the nickname 'Char' might not stick around for long so it seems silly to put it in the book title.
'Chaos of the Mage Stones' just seems like a treeish name even though it's a bit overdramatic and tacky and inspired by The Shadow War of the Night Dragons.
But maybe I should use something totally different.

Okay this has been 'rambling with ED'
Boop!
I kinda like Char and the Mage Stones. Maybe something nouny if the nickname isn't going to last?
Blorp!

ED's post title wrote:Plantcastle m*stard = 33
Plantcastle! Of course!
But what's 33?

I forgot to mention before, I did discover a broken bit of plantcastle during the reconstruction: a cord snapped - not much more than a string. The cord held together the end pieces that bracketed the peak of the roof. It was probably not loving life in its final hours. Max gust the day of the collapse was 141kph. A length of wire has been give the nod to take over that job.

yappobiscuits wrote:It will of course once again feature a complete yappo original soundtrack.
Woot! :) Are you sure you're ready to do a maritime soundtrack?
And also :oops: . Lu too, I think.

balthasar_s wrote:I offered new instructions and this should not repeat.
Have you ever seen Sleeping with the Enemy?

For Decree:I think the First Cleric will get the tape caught on something and all unraveled, and then have to invent erasers on pencils.

ETA:

Remove broken clock from wall

You remove the destroyed clock from the wall. Only to uncover a redundant clock hanging behind it. It doesn't work either.
But, at least, it won't show you the wrong time.

TUNO: 33
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:08 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Have you ever seen Sleeping with the Enemy?
I haven't.
Is it related?

There was some talk about bandpass filters recently.
This week I made a simple circuit which I wanted to add to the pwm-music-STAF.
It should do two things: filter the signal so that it's less squarish and also adjust volume.

The circuit failed.
You may remember that the signal is a sum of two squarewaves.
The 'volume adjustment' was also a distoriton adjustment.
Near the loud end I had the normal signal but distorted. Near the silent end I had a signal where the sum of the squarewaves was replaced with an AM modulation of them (or multiplication: high only when both of them are high, otherwise low). And various transitional levels in between.
Interesting, but not what I wanted.

I fixed it by adding 3 resistors for correct transistor biasing.
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:25 pm UTC

Not at all.
In it, Julia Roberts is married to a guy who beats her. He's quite cool and in-control about it. He says things like:
Now, this is a useful discussion, but one best postponed until after our sail.
which means something more like:
You can't be a mess for our trip tonight, but afterwards let's continue this conversation and I'm going to beat the mustard out of you.

Your line about offering new instructions sounded like something he might say, and the extreme contrast made me chuckle.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

DST

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

Ok, I understand now.
Of course, my instructions were how to achieve their desired effect without mustarding the botcastle's connection.

BSTA 23:
The clock redundancy is a botm-related (or maybe more a kosmiczne bzdety-related) meme.
You might already have seen it before.
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm UTC

I was feeling a bit peckish earlier, and I thought, what would the First Cleric do?
So I went off molpy-hunting! :)

I went back to those gifs from the launch interface
Spoiler:
and did a little enhancing.
Sadly I didn't find any bacon-molpy or really any molpy at all.
But still something tasty - we had spoilers even back then. :)

intf-tr appears to contain the first 6 frames of BSTA:
Spoiler:
Sorry for the lousy quality - it's not much of an enhance there.
Also, the order isn't quite right, but I'm not sure if that's just the way I extracted the frames from the gif. My procedure for that is pretty dodgy.

The gifs for fast-forward and reverse appear to be the same subject as each other, just reversed.
I like how it looks in motion. :)
ENHANCE!

If we throw away the motion, we can get a better look at the desk and stuff:

This should look familiar from here:

Failing molpy, I think the First Cleric might go for some ice cream.
Spoiler:
then molpy down!

rsir:
Spoiler:
intf-tr_enhanced.1.jpg
intf-tr_enhanced.2.jpg
intf-tr_enhanced.3.jpg
intf-tr_enhanced.4.jpg
intf-tr_enhanced.5.jpg
intf-tr_enhanced.6.jpg
intf-ll_anim.gif
intf-ll_enhanced.static..jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Redundancy and time

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:35 pm UTC

Looks like we're in enhancement mode today.
Let's continue.

Spoiler:

The clock doesn't work.

How about some enhancement?

There are things hanging on the wall.

Spoiler:

The calendar doesn't show the time you would expect.

Remove calendar from wall

You remove the anachronistic calendar from the wall. Only to uncover a redundant calendar hanging behind it.

It doesn't show the correct time either.

Redundant
Spoiler:
rcnh00.jpg
rcnh01.jpg
rcnh02.jpg
rcnh03.jpg
rcnh04.jpg
rcnh05.jpg
BFTF replay

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:38 pm UTC

I must say, ggh is acting like a pretty big tree! That's quite a find!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:02 pm UTC

So, is balthasar showing us how to "B the guy"?
After each ONG, the scene is enhanced with one of us being the guy B.
This is presumably why the Delay between the is so long.
ggh wrote:This should look familiar from here:
Where is this from? The link leads only to the image itself.
ucim wrote:I must say, ggh is acting like a pretty big tree! That's quite a find!

Jose

Indeed.
What did you use to enhance those intf-tr frames? I could never get them that clear.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:06 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Where is this from? The link leads only to the image itself.
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=101043&p=4062138#p4062138
BFTF replay

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

I know nothing.
...umm..Except, maybe..
The Weather Report
Spoiler:
The day is bright and crisp.
Not one cloud floats in this sky.

Yet; Without shelter a human doing would be a miserable being.

Honeys; It's c-c-Cold OutSide. I Know!
Through my window, I see Solid Water!
Back to your regularly scheduled chatter.

Like clouds;
Up over my head.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Indeed.
What did you use to enhance those intf-tr frames? I could never get them that clear.
I swapped the red and blue channels and added that image back with the original to reduce some of the purely blue or orange noise. Then I applied a 20-pixel gaussian blur and moved the white and blackpoints to .943 and .678 respectively.
There was a lot of crosstalk between the channels and a limited number of total colours, so I tried a few other things that I thought would be more tuned to these specific images, but none of those worked as well as the simple swap-and-add, blur-and-expand method.

I need a better way of extracting frames from a gif. Right now I bring the gif into gimp, export it, delete one layer, export it with another name, delete one layer,... <repeat until done>. I don't know gimp, but the program I like to use - an old discontinued thing - only sees the top layer of a gif, so this layer-destroying technique gets me to where I need to be, but there's got to be a better way. What do y'all use? I need a way that works on mac and is close to free.

Sorry about that unhelpful link. Thanks, balthasar, for adding the right one. :)

balthasar_s wrote:Looks like we're in enhancement mode today.
Let's continue.
Spoiler:

The clock doesn't work.

How about some enhancement?

There are things hanging on the wall.

The calendar doesn't show the time you would expect.

Remove calendar from wall

You remove the anachronistic calendar from the wall. Only to uncover a redundant calendar hanging behind it.

It doesn't show the correct time either.

Woohoo! Treeish! I love these!

And that answers the question I had about whether the missing corners were an artistic device or whether the room had sloped ceilings at the corners. (there's probably a term for that - what is it?)

Another thing I have been wondering about was that window in the door: I associate windows in doors with external doors, but the room looks more like a personal room in a house. In the last enhancement, the window is dark with a cool lightsource outside and above (the light isn't visible in the first photo.) Also, it appears that it's either raining or it's not flat glass. Or something else... that last enhancement looks like there is natural light coming from the left (a gable maybe?) so if there is outside outside that door window, I'd expect it to be light. Hmm. A dim fluorescent in a dark hall? Is the glass tinted? Nope, I got nothin'.

Whoa. That calendar is pretty disorienting. I've never seen the rows and column interchanged like that. Treeish.

ETA:
GnomeAnne wrote:So, is balthasar showing us how to "B the guy"?
This is an awesomeful idea! :)
I call dibs on frame 16!
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Another thing I have been wondering about was that window in the door: I associate windows in doors with external doors, but the room looks more like a personal room in a house.
In both places where I live all the internal doors (except those of the basement) have windows. The external doors don't.
One of the door windows glass is even painted.
In the last enhancement, the window is dark with a cool lightsource outside and above (the light isn't visible in the first photo.)
The pictures were not taken at the same time. Some are made at day, some in the evening.
Also, it appears that it's either raining or it's not flat glass. Or something else...
The glass is not flat. So that you see light through it but not the shapes.
that last enhancement looks like there is natural light coming from the left (a gable maybe?)
A window in the roof.
Spoiler:
(This picture was taken in the summer when it was getting so hot that I had to put some sheets on the window to block some of the sunlight.)

so if there is outside outside that door window, I'd expect it to be light. Hmm. A dim fluorescent in a dark hall? Is the glass tinted? Nope, I got nothin'.
A circular window in the ceiling which brings light from outside through a mirrorish tube going through the attic from a roof window.

ggh wrote:ETA:
GnomeAnne wrote:So, is balthasar showing us how to "B the guy"?
This is an awesomeful idea! :)
I call dibs on frame 16!
So what about this?
Place ARMs inside clockpocket

You insert your ARMs into your clockpocket. You're still not sure why you wanted to take them.
Also, having non-clocky things in a clockpocket feels kind of... wrong.

And this:
(How do I call a reenactment which was already there? Preenactment?)

Redundant
Spoiler:
roofwind.JPG
nh18.JPG
BFTF replay

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

:CDORe

Postby AluisioASG » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am UTC

ggh wrote:I need a better way of extracting frames from a gif. Right now I bring the gif into gimp, export it, delete one layer, export it with another name, delete one layer,... <repeat until done>. I don't know gimp, but the program I like to use - an old discontinued thing - only sees the top layer of a gif, so this layer-destroying technique gets me to where I need to be, but there's got to be a better way. What do y'all use? I need a way that works on mac and is close to free.
You could try ImageMagick, which seems to have an El Capitan release and examples to split GIFs (check out the following two sections as well).

balthasar_s wrote:Image
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Spoiler:
Here, this should fix that window. Although, it seems to have its own style, doesn't it? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:43 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:In other news, my theatre company are working on our next major production, and it's going to be a bit... seaish.
Spoiler:

It will of course once again feature a complete yappo original soundtrack.
Yey! You!
Theater is Good for people.

The local Theater provides opportunity for the children in a rural community.
I've got my fingers crossed for this new crop.

The old saying about Horses can be easily transferred to Theater.
"Some youth get into Theater; Other youth get into Trouble."

I hope your professional production goes well.
I hope our amateur production goes well, too.
ggh wrote:I was feeling a bit peckish earlier, and I thought, what would the First Cleric do?
So I went off molpy-hunting! :)

I went back to those gifs from the launch interface[spoiler]Image

The gifs for fast-forward and reverse appear to be the same subject as each other, just reversed.
I like how it looks in motion. :)
ENHANCE!
ggh; That is delightful.
How you manage such Magic...

I love the little guy in motion.
From static, you brought forward a funny little guy at a keyboard.

You are a multi-talented Poster.
You have a GreenThumb and You do Enhsncements.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:12 am UTC

ggh wrote:I need a better way of extracting frames from a gif. Right now I bring the gif into gimp, export it, delete one layer, export it with another name, delete one layer,... <repeat until done>. I don't know gimp, but the program I like to use - an old discontinued thing - only sees the top layer of a gif, so this layer-destroying technique gets me to where I need to be, but there's got to be a better way. What do y'all use? I need a way that works on mac and is close to free.

I'd use the Python Imaging Library and the images2gif script (look it up -- there are many versions floating around out there, and some work better than others).

I'd only do this because I already have it setup on my computer for other stuff and I know how to use it.

You could also try the GIMP "Export Layers" plugin to convert layers to images.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

"Or communication, yes."
  "Or an orthomolpidraconic oscillator."
  "You mean, a dracoprojector?"
  "Yes."
  "Ah."
  "Ch**rping mustard!" cried Mrorl, "That would mean he's modulating OTTers' posting potential with draconic destabilisers... which would have the effects we are seeing, and gain him the noteriety and business he desires... but would also, of course, have an equally devariating effect on everymolpy else."
  "Of course. And he probably shuffles the blindpost/blitzpost matrices to make the effects less noticeable."
  "Yes, and the OTT gets less and less active overall. *Steambottle!*"
  "What do you think; does he apply an irreversible temporodraconian retromodulation, or simply shut off the destabilisers over a weepend?"
  "Hard to say, though it would be easy enough to pick up the secondary radiation in your Chronotransponder, suitably modified and deployed in the field."
  "Though by that Time both he and his dracoposts would be far in the past," observed Balthacarius.

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:31 am UTC

Thanks for the gif tips pogrmman and Aluisio! I'm still on OSX 10.8.5, so the imagemagick thing might be a little more involved. The image2gif script... I might have to look at that some night the Little Wonder passes out early. I don't know any python, but it would be nice to learn a thing or two.

Thanks for telling me about your windows, balthasar. :) It all makes sense now. The windows part, that is.

balthasar_s wrote:So what about this?
Place ARMs inside clockpocket
Spoiler:
[/center][/center]

You insert your ARMs into your clockpocket. You're still not sure why you wanted to take them.
Also, having non-clocky things in a clockpocket feels kind of... wrong.

And this:
(How do I call a reenactment which was already there? Preenactment?)
Maybe it's a reenactment you time-traveled to do?
Or is BSTA the reenactment?

Addams, I have to confess, I didn't get anything out of that blackish noisy gif. I didn't even try. The one that my enhancement came out of looked much more promising.

addams wrote:The old saying about Horses can be easily transferred to Theater.
"Some youth get into Theater; Other youth get into Trouble."
Despite your accurate phrasing, my first thought was:
Some horses get into Theater; Other horses get into Trouble?

BSTA 16:
Explore pockets

You check what's inside your pockets.
You have:
A screwdriver, a wallet, a tram ticket, some coins, another screwdriver, a keychain, a pencil, a wrench and a telephone.

They all are important things. You don't want to get rid of any of them.

Redundantly, the spoiler contains a large version if you want to check out the coins. I wasn't sure of the denomination of one in the original.

ETA:
[07:57:37]
>Insert broken clock into clockpocket_
Can't wait to see how that goes. :D

redundant:
Spoiler:
bsta-18reenactment.jpg

Seaish:
bsta-18reenactmentLarge.jpg

Alternate view:
bsta-18reenactmentAltView.jpg
Last edited by ggh on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:06 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Thanks for telling me about your windows, balthasar. :) It all makes sense now. The windows part, that is.
Which part does not make sense, then?

Maybe it's a reenactment you time-traveled to do?
Or is BSTA the reenactment?
Or both?
BSTA is 2011, the video 2014, and now it's 2017.
(So, the next thing will be in 2020?)

I wasn't sure of the denomination of one in the original.
The coin can have the eagle-side upwards. The number is only on one side.

I was actually stuck at home earlier this week1 because some micromolps decided that I'm the perfect pace to have a party.
So I went to read the otherMSPAadventure, Problem Sleuth. Took me 2 days.

ggh wrote:Alternate view:
Spoiler:
A nice view you have.
Also, you did it really well.
I would not be able to do it.
I no longer have a phone which looks like this.
I left it in a train last summer.

1 but at least I was not locked in my room...
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:47 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Which part does not make sense, then?
That may have been a bad choice of words: I didn't mean to imply that anything didn't make sense, just that I don't understand a lot of stuff yet.

Or both?
BSTA is 2011, the video 2014, and now it's 2017.
Right. Good point. *scratches head* *wonders if there's any of the good sherry left*

(So, the next thing will be in 2020?)
Next one? I noticed you're six-padding your image numbers. If you're anticipating 100,000 frames at 30 hours/frame, BSTA oughta go for at least another 342 years.
I guess the next one could run concurrently though....

The coin can have the eagle-side upwards. The number is only on one side.
Ah! I should have used an American quarter for that one then.

A nice view you have.
I guess you can't really make it out at that resolution, but across the water is the Wellington - Blown Away sign. (It's above, and just a bit to the left of the key chain.)

I hope you're feeling better balthasar, creator of worlds even for micromolps.
Agatha the Awesomeful

thunk

Re: 1190: "Silver Time"

Postby thunk » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:46 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Ah! I should have used an American quarter for that one then.

Right, I do have some of the requisite groszy but they're still packed after the move. And also in a commemorative raptorcat mint set.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:03 pm UTC

Insert broken clock into clockpocket

No, that's not going to work.

[TUNO:34]
Wait For It.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:44 am UTC

That Wellington sign is pretty funny :)

GnomeAnne's next post will be triple figures!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:27 am UTC

I was planning on appending this picture to the end of my next post, but

Tits and Pussy:
Spoiler:
tits and pussy.png
100 posts!
Woot!
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

W100OO!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 am UTC

BSTA 000022
by mrob27 » ONGing BSTA 000022 at 20170113 02:00:31 UTC = newpix 33479.01

TUNO = 33 hours

Plantcastle m*stard = 33

But what's 33?

TUNO: 33

by ggh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 22:25:33 Etc/GMT-10

by balthasar_s » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06:33 Etc/GMT-10

Alot of things are 33!

Spoiler:
31 tomorrip

ETA I quite like Char and the Mage Stones, even if I probably won't call her Char for long. But who says the title of the book has to be referenced throughout the entire book?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 am UTC

I want Alot of Things!

thunk

Re: 1190: "Convective Time"

Postby thunk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:48 am UTC

>Gingercat is "now 18.7% more likely"

Is the wavefunction contracting? strange.
But good to hear.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51 am UTC

Wellington is windy.
And; So much more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymBck-Ul-zE

It is a Delightful and Large City.
(from a distance)
https://vimeo.com/135449713

As we all know by now.
You Can't Beat Wellington, on a Good Day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCAsYtHBaiY

If a GreenHouse can 'make it' in Wellington.
That GreenHouse can 'make it' AnyWhere.

Per-Decree: Such serous business....
To allow Edits or Not to allow Edits?
That is the Question.
Spoiler:
I think, "Yes."
For good reasons Edits must be allowed.

In good faith to the community,
a reason for the Edit is, just, Good Manners.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 am UTC

I've been decreenapped! :shock:

(But I like the Undecree better.)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:38 am UTC

Has anyone been officially named DM for our d&d game?
I second the Addams nomination if she is up for it. Otherwise someone should volunteer Gingercat.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:37 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:That Wellington sign is pretty funny :)
The airport wanted to put "WELLYWOOD" up on that hill. What an awful idea. The outpouring of community disgust led to a referendum, iirc, and the current sign. Edit: skip the last vid - this one is better.

Ooh - I've got to grab this post while the grabbing's good. I'll edit more in later....

Here we go -
ETA: RELATEDLY, earlier today a goat tried to eat my pun shirt:
Spoiler:

redundant:
Spoiler:
IMG_3354.JPG
IMG_3335.JPG

also, an emu tried to eat my sandals, but that's less RELATED.
sandleEater.jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”