1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

Re: 3000: "Creatures"

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:51 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hey balthaDMM, what are 3000 creatures doing on the moon?
Where does this question come from?

You are asking about this: http://rnk.bicyclesonthemoon.info/kreatury3000/?
That's a program I wrote. It's the dice-roll game engine for the second edition of Dem's show Kreatury (or Kreatury 3000), it can be found on youtube. Previously he used someone else's program.

More info in this post:
balthasar_s wrote:That's only a little part of the explanation.
Full explanation:
Spoiler:
There is a guy in Poland called "Dem" who draws epsilonish stickman comics¹, makes youtube videos, etc. He made a show called "Kreatury" or "Kreatury 3000". It's a show where 8 epsilonish creatures are fighting against each other. There were live streams. People would call through skype² and together with Dem create the creatures. They would also become the creatures' "trainers" but they hat no influence at all on what was happening next.
Remember xkcd 904? That's exactly how this worked. There was a software that would generate the fight's outcome based on the creatures's points and random number (1-6) generation. Dem used the results to draw a comic of this while people watched it live and made comments on a chat and there were also commentators on Skype before and after the fights. The comments were often very funny. It was like a parody of watching a sport event. Also the chat started developing its own version of the language...
After the first series (of two) was over one of the creatures, "motyl i niedźwiedź" (a bear with a butterfly glued to it) fell completely out of the tournament (but returned as a boss with a bazooka instead of the butterfly). After the final boss fight there was one place left. I called and was lucky enough to be chosen to create a new character. In this video (Polish) from 42:22 you can see the creation of the new character.
The name is "Słoń inspektor", ("elephant the inspector" or "inspector the elephant", because he used to work in a factory as an inspector). He wheels on his very short legs. a hat on his head, a flower on his head under the hat, a monocle and his nose (how is an elephant's nose called in English?) ends with an actual hand.
Then the new series started. First fight was against the winner of the first series, the raptor-mage Bulbulbi. The elephant won. The next fight was against the knight-sheep Lukrecja. The elephant won. And the final fight was against the evil cyborg Szymon Borkowski. The elephant won again. I didn't expect it at all but my character won the whole tournament. The winner of the first series won a t-shirt with his character. In the second series there were no prizes. After the final fight there was a plot twist and a cliffhanger which is still unresolved after almost a year. There are recordings of everything on youtube.
There were some problems with the original result-generating software so I created a replacement: http://rnk.bicyclesonthemoon.info/kreatury3000/ which was then used by Dem.

I really liked what the newly created character looked like and it was the madnesstime so I changed my avatar

¹at school, somwhere in 2008, I think, I was darwing my first comics. They were also epsilonish and stickmanish. I think someone said I was trying to copy from demland. That's how I found out about him.

²I installed skype on the redundant computer just for this purpose and removed it later.

GnomeAnne wrote:If anyone has a real soldering gun and CDs, feel free to make a corrected version.
I have all required objects except one: a clean desk.
Related: You can see a soldering gun on bftf replay now.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

karhell

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby karhell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:18 am UTC

ggh wrote:I didn't realize the rules were such an evolving thing.
To put that into perspective, the first edition of D&D was released in 1974. Many things have changed since then. Second edition expanded hugely on the original (rather limited) ruleset; Third removed quite a few lookup tables and weird concepts (THAC0 and negative armour class, anyone ?); Fourth attempted to re-balance all classes by making everything more... video-game-like; Fifth is a return to something more akin to Third, while ironing out a lot of what made it incredibly abusable.
ggh wrote:So... what's your impression of how much Time it takes to know enough to play?
Very very little time. In my opinion, the bare basics can be picked up in half an hour's time. In a nutshell, though, it's "say what you want to do. Roll whatever dice the DM tells you to (usually involving a D20)".

Gingercat wrote:Looks like I'll be DM for our little Time Campaign (squee!!); I'd better get to thinking up a starting setting and some places for you guys to go!

The biggest thing we need to sort out is how dice rolls are going to work. We'll all need the ability to roll them when needed, and preferably have it obvious to all what was rolled (and why).

To that end I have a request: Are any of our coding-oriented friends out there able to create a simple webpage that (with basic authentication in place to prevent spam / nonsense?) can be used to simulate rolls on demand and record the results in a descriptive log? That way, everyone involved could see a play-by-play of the results of attack rolls etc and really have a good handle on the situation at all times.
Have a look at Roll20. It's an online virtual tabletop with integrated chat. I've had a poke around, and it looks pretty treeish, once properly set up.
Gingercat wrote:ETA: I'm so glad you're enjoying the stories so far; they're tons of fun to play, also tons of fun to write about after, especially from an in-character perspective! (And I imagine that when we go back to visit our Cloud Giant friend, there will be heroic amounts of alcohol all over again, haha! :D)
They're also tons of fun to read ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

mrob27

1190: Time: BECOME AN OTTERCOMICS

Postby mrob27 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:53 am UTC

It's somewhat interesting to me that you're discussing D&D, because I just spent a few days at the MIT Mystery Hunt (my 3rd time), and the theme this year was D&D (and RPGs and table-top gaming in general; for example a few Settlers of Catan references). If interested, you can see the kickoff (a pretty good skit), the puzzles themselves, and the wrap-up.
  So, I'm behind again (chirp).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

micdi

Postby micdi » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

We are playing D&D?

(I have never played D&D before, i did play Pathfinder for exactly one session)
Re: Versions: As I said, I have no experience of my own, but from what i have heard, the two that are mostly in use are 3.5 and 5(e?) (of which 3.5 is closer to Pathfinder, I believe)
Blitzing the OTT (hibernating).
Sometimes flickering into the Present.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

micdi wrote:Re: Versions: As I said, I have no experience of my own, but from what i have heard, the two that are mostly in use are 3.5 and 5(e?) (of which 3.5 is closer to Pathfinder, I believe)

3.5e and 5e are indeed probably the most popular (in this context, "e" just stands for "edition"). And yes, Pathfinder is based off 3.5e with a lot of wrinkles smoothed out.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:54 pm UTC

Examine CDs

These are the "SKALNIACY ADVENTURES" CDs!

TUNO: 34

Is SKALNIACY a creative spelling of Skalniaki? Edit: I wasn't paying attention. See later post.

Thanks for the answers, Gingecat!

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Hey balthaDMM, what are 3000 creatures doing on the moon?
Where does this question come from
I was looking for closure... literally. I have a zillion tabs open. Many are things that I am meaning to check out, both Time-wise and outside-wise. One is NP2370, which I had stumbled across back when I was looking for hints in attachments from you. You have a kreatury3000 tab visible. In a big show of dumb, I didn't think to just search for "kreatury" to find the answer. :oops:
Anyways, I can close the tab now. :)
(I'm happy I asked though - I didn't follow that link when you first posted it, but now I have, and it's funny to watch the description happening. Since I don't understand a word, I don't know how much Dem is contributing to the backstory, but do I have this right?: the flower under the hat is running the elephant? Treeish!

Gingercat wrote:To that end I have a request: Are any of our coding-oriented friends out there able to create a simple webpage that (with basic authentication in place to prevent spam / nonsense?) can be used to simulate rolls on demand and record the results in a descriptive log?
balthasar_s wrote:That's a program I wrote. It's the dice-roll game engine
Coincidence?
Last edited by ggh on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 pm UTC

Speaking of RELATED D&D stories reminds me of that of Eric and the Dread Gazebo.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:00 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Very very little time. In my opinion, the bare basics can be picked up in half an hour's time. In a nutshell, though, it's "say what you want to do. Roll whatever dice the DM tells you to (usually involving a D20)".
Excellent - thanks! :)

It feels like the weather bomb is just about done with Wellington. I don't think the winds were as high as they thought they'd be, though they seemed pretty constant for a while. The planes have been grounded, but I expect that to change any moment.

ETA: and yes - one of the little ones just went up, no problem at all. (Apparently I missed the JetStar flight that landed in two tries (but then couldn't open its cargo doors).)
Last edited by ggh on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
Gingercat wrote:ETA: I'm so glad you're enjoying the stories so far; they're tons of fun to play, also tons of fun to write about after, especially from an in-character perspective! (And I imagine that when we go back to visit our Cloud Giant friend, there will be heroic amounts of alcohol all over again, haha! )

They're also tons of fun to read ^^

Indeed, I'm looking forward to finding out what happens in the next volume.

New OtherComic.

Oh, so not Boston?
Bummer

ETA:
ggh wrote:It feels like the weather bomb is just about done with Wellington. I don't think the winds were as high as they thought they'd be, though they seemed pretty constant for a while. The planes have been grounded, but I expect that to change any moment.

Did the rest of the greenhouse blow away?
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np3041

Postby mscha » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:00 pm UTC

UNTIRONGLY...
Spoiler:
RUN.
(Colorization by ucim.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:I'M SORRY MOROBU, I'M AFRAID I CAN'T THUNK THAT.

-- posted by randompixbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:09 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:

Oh, so not Boston?
Bummer
Heh, that would have been pretty funny. Also, hard to imagine. :)

I forgot! Skalniacy Adventures is from here.

GnomeAnne wrote:
ggh wrote:It feels like the weather bomb is just about done with Wellington. I don't think the winds were as high as they thought they'd be, though they seemed pretty constant for a while. The planes have been grounded, but I expect that to change any moment.

Did the rest of the greenhouse blow away?
There was a lull yesterday morning, so I disassembled it as much as I could and brought the plants in - the greenhouse ones plus the sturdier potted ones that were living out in the elements. I'm not sure that these gusts were any stronger than the ones that blew the greenhouse apart over a week ago, but the forecasts of 160kph spooked me. On the other hand, a couple downed trees and a lifting roof suggest that maybe these winds were stronger.

At any rate, I'm glad I took it apart - it gave me peace of mind, and I reckon seeing a parent batten down the hatches is a good experience for a kid. (Although she slept through the really howly bit, so maybe she won't connect the dots this Time.) Anyways, I think I should be able to put it back together in a couple hours when there's some calm. There was talk of more rough weather this weekend, so maybe I'll wait until afterwards.

I might have to give up on finding that album cover - I'm apparently thinking of the wrong bands.

ETA:
karhell wrote:To put that into perspective, the first edition of D&D was released in 1974.
:shock: I'm older than Dungeons & Dragons. :shock:
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:41 pm UTC

ggh wrote:ETA:
karhell wrote:To put that into perspective, the first edition of D&D was released in 1974.
:shock: I'm older than Dungeons & Dragons. :shock:
No. Not the Real Ones.

Not the Dark Places built by Man.
Not the Thunder and Lightning that frightened Ancient Man.

You may be older than a Game we learned to play when Real Danger was no longer Real.
Spoiler:
Except for me.
I'm still frightened of Strange Bright Lights in Dark Winter Nights.
I'm still frightened of the Evil that lurks in the Hearts and Minds of the Human Animal.
I hope GingerCat leads you to wonderful interesting places.

I have a Question:
Will there be a New Thread for D&D?
Or; Will Time become Time II: Time D&D?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 pm UTC

<My guess would be> We will use the thread to coordinate our games, but we won't play them here, <But I could be mistaken>.

Edited for revision of unfounded statement.
Wait For It.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:We had several days of freezing rain here,
which was nice because I had some Time to write my story.
As much as I fear Ice.
I also hold it in great regard.

How delightful to know,
Ice is responsible for our introduction to Leon.
Leon; The early riser, face jumping charmer.

Ice and the Sci-Show.
A nice pairing.

Or; Ape Hair as Fine as Frogs Hair.

waa! My software is being Hard.
For Fun Icy Info:
1. Go to U-Tube.
2. Ask for Sci-Show.
3. "8 Beautiful, Weird, and Scary Things Ice Can Do"
4....enjoy.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 pm UTC

I imagine that we might post the occasional adventures update for those interested, but the full happenings will live Elsewhere.

The D&D game may be born of Time, but it won't crowd it out. :)

Already I have some interesting ideas...
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:35 am UTC

Examine CDs

Redundant
Spoiler:
No, really, it's redundant.
20170118_183044.jpg
Now with actual Cds
Wait For It.

ggh

Re: 1190: Time: BECOME AN OTTERCOMICS

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:49 am UTC

Gnoice!

mrob27 wrote:It's somewhat interesting to me that you're discussing D&D, because I just spent a few days at the MIT Mystery Hunt (my 3rd time), and the theme this year was D&D (and RPGs and table-top gaming in general; for example a few Settlers of Catan references). If interested, you can see the kickoff (a pretty good skit), the puzzles themselves, and the wrap-up.
Gee, that looks like a lot of fun. I wanna do that someday!
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:02 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Some characters created in a game, these were two creatures made of stone. We called them "skalniacy" ("skała" means rock). They were known for trolling our main characters. Mainly by causing explosions or reprogramming robots. Their programming style was very epsilonish. They were once hired to program some tunnel-digging-and-portal-opening robots. Some actual programmers looked at their code later. After seeing it they didn't want to be programmers anymore.
Anyway, they became famous enough, for their shenanigans, that someone made video games about them: "skalniacy adventures".

Hmmm
Now that I have a CD that says Skalniacy Adventures I kind of want to put the game on it.
Wait For It.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:28 am UTC

Happy Halo-Yip Newpage!

(2552 is the yip in which Halo is set, for those less geeky about the series.)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

thunk

Re: 1190: "The Time Bowl, presented by PlopCo"

Postby thunk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:57 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:It's somewhat interesting to me that you're discussing D&D, because I just spent a few days at the MIT Mystery Hunt (my 3rd time), and the theme this year was D&D (and RPGs and table-top gaming in general; for example a few Settlers of Catan references). If interested, you can see the kickoff (a pretty good skit), the puzzles themselves, and the wrap-up.
  So, I'm behind again (chirp).

I'm honestly impressed at how anybody ever does those scavenger hunts. Looks too damn hard to be remotely solvable, at least from my perspective.
Props to whoever won.

karhell wrote:Have a look at Roll20. It's an online virtual tabletop with integrated chat. I've had a poke around, and it looks pretty treeish, once properly set up.

Apparently, the other campaign I got roped into observing uses that.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

At this point the two famous molpidracologists got into a discussion so detailed and technical that anyone listening wouldn't have made any sense of it. There were such mysterious words as <*:"distemporaneous OTTodraconality", "dracalindalysis", "metaseaish metastasis", "dracasomyousors", "additive orthodracethis", "ONGliDracidian", "$ENHANCED$ dracalindalysis", "cindracotas crescentis", "antechronol transubstance", "trans-when saurian interfer function",:> and so on.
  The immediate upshot of all of this was the third Journey, for which the bOTTifactors prepared most carefully, loading their three ships (Mrorl in his &TARDIS& as usual, and Balthacarius in the newly acquired prize *GEMG*, which the Castraftle *LEML* would follow on OTTopilot) with a full array of highly complicated parts and equipment, and books on dragons, draconic cultural artifacts purchased at great expense from all the local shops, &&c. Then they proceeded to load their ships with an additional and thoroughly $REDUNDANT$ array of parts and equipment; and a pretty much identical collection of draconic artifacts bought on clearance for $REDUNDANCY$ purposes; and the whole process was interrupted once or thrice to take a full inventory.
  In particular they took along mustarding modules and a bot that submitted negative posts (not a post expressing e****ish thoughts, but a post whose posting effected the *un*-posting of another post and itself along with it). They also prepared to deploy Chronotransponders, Object Generators, and SpaaaceTime Portal Generators, all far more advanced than anything seen up to that point, facilitated by Flux Crystals conveniently won from King Idle. Having a third ship would help immensely with this, as they anticipated they would need to make frequent jumps between pastpages and the Afterwhen to gather the data they needed to indict Tornater. Although Mrorl and Balthacarius had employed Time travel in their previous adventures, most notably in the retro-editing of colour palettes for the entire universe, they now realised they would need a far more thorough understanding of Time and its relationship to the OTT. This task would be fully dragonological, and nully chronological, and thoroughly illogical, and naturally would require frequent travel into the aforewhen and afterwhen to make and/or read posts by purported OtterDragons. To this end, and inspired by a

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

addams

Re: 1190: "The Time Bowl, presented by PlopCo"

Postby addams » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm UTC

thunk wrote:I'm honestly impressed at how anybody ever does those scavenger hunts.
Looks too damn hard to be remotely solvable, at least from my perspective.
Props to whoever won.
I agree with you, Thunk.
The word 'remotely' stands out for me.

The people at MIT were There in Real Life.
Even though; The Game was Imaginary.
(Like some numbers.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgz2uD ... e=youtu.be

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Bagehot Time"

Postby thunk » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

I've heard of Caesar Rodney, though I've never met him. Those coins are no rarity, though.

addams wrote:
thunk wrote:I'm honestly impressed at how anybody ever does those scavenger hunts.
Looks too damn hard to be remotely solvable, at least from my perspective.
Props to whoever won.
I agree with you, Thunk.
The word 'remotely' stands out for me.

The people at MIT were There in Real Life.
Even though; The Game was Imaginary.
(Like some numbers.)

Right, especially the puzzles based on locations at the MIT campus. Those chirpers still spurned my application though.
I guess it helps when you have a team of 100 people, with differing regions of expertise. Knitting, urban geography, song lyric identification (which was a big one)...
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:11 pm UTC

song lyric identification (which was a big one)...
(gee...) Jr, High School Girls have a Natural Talent for That.
Knitting, urban geography and Math...well That stuff is Learned.
To recognize patterns in sounds is instinctive. Birds do it.

(ech) NeverMind;
I hope the Time D&D Players have a Wonderful Time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Happy Halo-Yip Newpage!

I didn't know about Halo, but I like a reason to celebrate regardless. :)

Next ONG in 2 hours. I'm guessing the new TUNO will be 35.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Happy Halo-Yip Newpage!

Call me when you get to Marathon-yip newpage (2794).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:03 am UTC

SKALNIACY ADVENTURES is the new computer game series known for weird gameplay and incomplete translation.
Even the title.

[TUNO:35]

Yup, 35
Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 am UTC

Thanks for the 4800 cake - didn't even notice the RNP. I guess I missed my chance to say [redacted]. Ch*rp!

ggh wrote:As we've already established, when my internet doesn't work, I go to a strip club.
I wanna party with you! Oh, wait - you meant so that you could use their internet.

ggh wrote:Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts. Stink.
I guess there's not much general aviation down there. It'd take full power to stand still!

ggh wrote:I love tasting the world through my feet...
I love that metaphor. However, I'm not sure I'd want to taste some of the things I end up walking on.

taixzo wrote:Speaking of RELATED D&D stories reminds me of that of Eric and the Dread Gazebo.
Love that one!

ggh wrote:Gnoice!
Is that what a linux user says when they want their drink neat?

Pfhorrest wrote:Call me when you get to Marathon-yip newpage (2794).
Welcome back Pfhorrest! What is Marathon? (I've at least heard of Halo.)

I wonder whatever happened to Febrion, our favorite transistor.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:24 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Call me when you get to Marathon-yip newpage (2794).
Welcome back Pfhorrest! What is Marathon? (I've at least heard of Halo.)

Marathon is the first-person shooter series that Bungie (people who made Halo) made almost a decade before Halo was even a thing, and almost all of the cool unique stuff in Halo is just old Marathon innovations finally brought to a larger audience. (Halo began as an extension of the Marathon universe). The main enemies, the Pfhor, are where my username comes from. The whole series is free to download these days, and I made one of the largest fan mods for it (also free to download). The story is ridiculously complex beneath the surface, especially in the third game, spawning over a decade of detailed analysis. That might appeal to some of the people here.

The year 2794 is when first game takes place.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:17 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:I love tasting the world through my feet...
I love that metaphor.
However, I'm not sure I'd want to taste some of the things I end up walking on.
Jose
Yes. That is Beautiful.
my feet were sharing the pavement's memory of the beautiful day that had so recently lain upon it.
I can almost feel the left over radiant heat.
I Love the Whole Story!
I am usually shoeless. Whereas most Americans are totally freaked out by feet, only a few categories of establishments discriminate against the shoeless here: most bars/nightclubs and the gate areas of the airport. Occasionally venues. I do wear shoes if I expect to walk on rough surfaces, and I wore cleats when I played touch rugby, but weeks or even months can go by without me putting anything on my feet.

I love tasting the world through my feet - the cobbles, the cool clay beside the footpath, the punky pine litter in the hills of the Town Belt, the grass, the mud, the soft worn tiles of the Old Bank Arcade. Two weeks ago the Little Wonder and I went to the pirate park by the sea and played in the sand and sun until a southerly blew in, turning the sky grey and dropping the temperature ~10 degrees C (~20 F). We stopped for groceries on the way home and crossing the road in that chilly bleakness, my feet were sharing the pavement's memory of the beautiful day that had so recently lain upon it. What the shoed folk are missing out on!
The Posters in this Thread tell some darned Good Stories.
(Gee..)Those Stories might make a nice book.
Or; At the very least a Story Portion of the Wiki.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

Post edits.
I see a few possibilities:
-Post submitted but not ready yet. User will edit until post ready.
-Edit to fix mustard.
-temporal shenanigans
-User realises that they shouldn't post something publicly
-data loss!

The mirror that I have now always updates to the current state an doesn't remember previouss versions of edited/removed posts.
I wanted to make a new version of the mirror with multiple improvements and one of them is to remember the edit history.
Remembering the history is important for being able to preserve it.
In most cases remembering the previous versions is acceptable.
One exception would be the case when something is posted but shouldn't.
But
If you posted something in a public forum you made that information public forever.
It has happened and you can't unhappen it.
Even if you remove it
anyone could have seen and recorded it.
You no longer have control over it.

My idea is:
to make the bot remember all the edits.
but have the possibility for a human to disable some of them from being visible if needed.
A more careful approach:
to make the mirror keep all the previous versions but not show them.
But have them available so that they can be used in case of mustard.

Additionally, when I saw some information being unposted it always was relatively soon after posting it.
A good idea may be to start remembering edits only after some time.

I thought I could start doing the new mirror somewhen around now.
But I started making BSTA instead....

GnomeAnne wrote:Also, in retrospect, I should not have linked to the version of the Christmas video that was on a family member's channel.
The point is moot now that the link was quoted, but had the original post been recorded in an edit log, even changing the link now would not erase it from collective memory.
I did not link my Christmas video but instead I said to PM me if someone wants to see it.

ggh wrote:I associate windows in doors with external doors
I'm wondering:
What are the reasons for having a window in the external door?
Does it have some advantages I don't know about?

ucim wrote:Decree: What do you do when wifi goes all phyllo on you?
"Chirping wifi disconnected again!"
"Wait, why am I using the wifi?"
"Oh, my ethernet cable fell out, that's why"
(I reconnect the cable)
"Much better!"

I like your soldering gun, GnomeAnne!

Oops, didn't pope.

ggh wrote:Is SKALNIACY a creative spelling of Skalniaki?
Well, you could say that and you wouldn't be completely wrong.
In the other post I told where the name comes from.
The main game characters are two creatures made of stone.
"skała" means rock.
"skalniak" is not directly translatable but in this context it could mean someone that has something (or rather very much) to do with rocks...
The plural is "skalniacy" - but only because they are characters.
If the word "skalniak" was supposed to be a name of not a character but for example a thing or animal (which it could be) then the plural would indeed be "skalniaki".

ggh wrote:Since I don't understand a word, I don't know how much Dem is contributing to the backstory, but do I have this right?
When I read it for the first time it looked to me as if you were asking if you have the right to understand what's going on.
ggh wrote:the flower under the hat is running the elephant?
Yes, but only when the flower is not under the hat. Otherwise it sleeps.
The hat always comes back.

ggh wrote:
Gingercat wrote:To that end I have a request: Are any of our coding-oriented friends out there able to create a simple webpage that (with basic authentication in place to prevent spam / nonsense?) can be used to simulate rolls on demand and record the results in a descriptive log?
balthasar_s wrote:That's a program I wrote. It's the dice-roll game engine
Coincidence?
!!!
Do you want the talks and the to rolls be in the same place?
Looks like the perfect platform for you would be an IRC with a doce roll functionality added.

I think that I can make something based on Coincidence (CoinciDDence?) with a chat, different usernames, individual textcolors, simple login and dice rolls. Only problem I see:
No autorefresh.
You might not like refreshing all the time during the game.
Maybe I could learn some Javascript magic?
But since I don't have experience with it iot will not be done the best way.

Maybe a good idea would be to see if there is already something like this. You are probably not the first group who wants to do this.
Also, I wonder what ED would have to say about this.

GnomeAnne wrote:Now that I have a CD that says Skalniacy Adventures I kind of want to put the game on it.
I also would like to have such a game. But the only way for me to play this game is by pretending (also known as "kosmiczne bzdety")/

ggh wrote:I'm guessing the new TUNO will be 35.
how did you

The recent days were not good for bsta drawing.
I did have the time but not he right mind for creativity and stuff like that.
Because I had many things to deal with.
Related to acquiring the NEW base.
Yes, this week I bought for myself a new place to live.
My own place. Wow. That's a big thing. I haven't calmed down completely yet.

I expect to do some new frames this weekend.
It should be a good time for a bsta blitz.
(How do we call a blitz where you create things instead of reading them?)

Now, when you figured out how the ongtimer works,
do you know where the bsta frame (and border) size comes from?
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:25 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:It should be a good time for a bsta blitz.
It could be a "blatz", from "blast" (sending lots of stuff out) and "splat" (from the sound stuff makes when it hits the target)? In addition it recalls the xkcd vowel shift blog=>blag.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this week I bought for myself a new place to live.

That is huge! Congratulations!
Agatha the Awesomeful

svenman

Postby svenman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

There's a new othercomic (MTA version).

Congratulations, Balthasar!
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Post edits.
Spoiler:
I see a few possibilities:
-Post submitted but not ready yet. User will edit until post ready.
-Edit to fix mustard.
-temporal shenanigans
-User realises that they shouldn't post something publicly
-data loss!

The mirror that I have now always updates to the current state an doesn't remember previouss versions of edited/removed posts.
I wanted to make a new version of the mirror with multiple improvements and one of them is to remember the edit history.
Remembering the history is important for being able to preserve it.
In most cases remembering the previous versions is acceptable.
One exception would be the case when something is posted but shouldn't.
But
If you posted something in a public forum you made that information public forever.
It has happened and you can't unhappen it.
Even if you remove it
anyone could have seen and recorded it.
You no longer have control over it.

My idea is:
but have the possibility for a human to disable some of them from being visible if needed.
A more careful approach:

Additionally, when I saw some information being unposted it always was relatively soon after posting it.

I thought I could start doing the new mirror somewhen around now.
But I started making BSTA instead....

GnomeAnne wrote:Also, in retrospect, I should not have linked to the version of the Christmas video that was on a family member's channel.
The point is moot now that the link was quoted, but had the original post been recorded in an edit log, even changing the link now would not erase it from collective memory.
I did not link my Christmas video but instead I said to PM me if someone wants to see it.
Do you have any ideas on how the ui for accessing former revisions would look?
ggh wrote:I associate windows in doors with external doors
I'm wondering:
What are the reasons for having a window in the external door?
Does it have some advantages I don't know about?

Many external doors in the town where I live have windows, I have some ideas for the reasons for this. Mostly they are the same as the reasons for any other window.And I wanted to try out the"list" tool.
  • They let in sunlight
  • They can be decorative
  • Some are large enough to allow viewing of the flowers outside
  • You can see who is knocking

Maybe a boring idea would be to see if there is already something like this.

FTFY

how did you?
This is an excellent question.
The recent days were not good for bsta drawing.
I did have the time but not he right mind for creativity and stuff like that.
Because I had many things to deal with.
Related to acquiring the NEW base.
Yes, this week I bought for myself a new place to live.
My own place. Wow. That's a big thing. I haven't calmed down completely yet.
WOAH!
Congrats!
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

[nearly-forgotten``post|#p3343933] by the famous philosophOTTer @@StratPlayer, Mrorl had formalised the principles that would become the <*:Laws of Temporodynamics:>.
  While their ships were being prepared, the bOTTifactors responded to one of Tornater's adverts, requesting a private conference which was soon granted, and presented a challenge: he would be given full access to a newly designated wild molpy sanctuary, which was desperately in need of a dragon or two; and any skepticism on the part of the public about his abilities would be immediately put to rest by Mrorl and Balthacarius themselves, who would serve as documentarians, recording everything that transpired, and transmitting a slickly-packaged multimedia field report to all in the Present and the Basement, in the Aforewhen and the Afterwhen alike. By carefully measuring and quantifying dragons in xeir spatiotemporal environment, accompanied by graphs, charts, animations and $ENHANCE$ments, all would be certain of Tornater's expertise and that no probabilistic shenanigans were employed. It would also, of course, advance Mrorl's and Balthacarius' ongoing scientific work; Tornater's fee had effectively already been paid by their research grants.
  As it so happened, the "newly designated wild molpy sanctuary" was in the northern and somewhat less swampy part of a large tract of land by Dordshear-on-Thropsywatermolpleigh, in a very remote area of Newpixia, that Mrorl and Balthacarius themselves had acquired to develop into a new *Time*-themed resort and amusement park^{2}, a fact that they had taken great effort to make certain absolutely nomolpy knew about. The bOTTifactors still had no interest in making these plans public, but they enlisted an associate (a former R.I.M. agent for King Idle who owed them a favour) to infiltrate Tornater's operation and allow the existence of the future theme park, and planned location (but no other details) to be "discovered" by him. They employed additional indebted agents to get plenty of mustard on Tornater, to hold in reserve in case he threatened leaking the theme park info for blackmail.
  It was only after having been baited in this way, that the famous doctor of draco-debasementing got the bOTTifactors' offer for a private conference, and, thrilled, accepted Mrorl's and Balthacarius' challenge immediately. He was

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

mrob27

1190: "Time": I GOT 99 PROBLEMS, SO I USED CROISSANTS. NOW I HAVE 100 PROBLEMS.

Postby mrob27 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:00 am UTC

ggh wrote:Gee, that looks like a lot of fun. I wanna do that someday!

You could certainly be on my team. My team was organised through the /r/testsolution/ subreddit and most of us are remotes (i.e. not physically present at MIT during the Hunt). If you want to be involved next year, look on that subreddit for a post similar to the one titled "Signups for Test Solution Please Ignore for the 2017 Mystery Hunt are now live! Join now!"
thunk wrote:I'm honestly impressed at how anybody ever does those scavenger hunts. Looks too damn hard to be remotely solvable, at least from my perspective.
Props to whoever won.

The winning team had between 100 and 150 members, and most teams that finished all the metapuzzles had about 50 or more. I guess that's how it's possible. There are only a few individual puzzles that could practically be solved by one person. Just as in a party of characters on a D&D campaign, the people needed to tackle a puzzle will have a lot of specialised or non-overlapping skills and experience. Most of the harder puzzles seem to have been designed with that in mind. Typically one person does the first part, then someone else jumps in and finishes it.

Thank you @ggh, @addams, and in particular GnomeAnne and balthasar_s, for your comments about the possibility that someone/something might preserve deleted posts and/or old versions of edited posts.
  I've thought about this a few times, starting when I became active here. I believe that a record of old posts might occasionally be useful, but we need to be careful not to upset the balance inherent in the status quo. That would mean that any hypothetical "retro-edit database" should have strict rules and safeguards.
  It's true that once someone hits that "submit" button, their writing is "out there" and might be copied by someone and reposted, or otherwise disseminated beyond the control of the original poster. This has happened a few times here. But the practical truth is that after an edit, the old version will probably disappear. Mirrors work in the simple obvious way, which means if you edit a post before the OTT starts a new page, the mirror keeps only the latest version.
  If I need to edit out something private/bad/dangerous, I realise there's a risk that it might be too late, but it will probably not be too late, and in either case I'll probably try to be more careful next time. I imagine most other people here will make similar considerations. If, however, there were a complete "edit history database" that were easy to access, then it would reduce the odds to zero. If I post by mistake, it's too late. I think it would have a chilling effect on our relaxed, candid culture.
  I believe that any disclosure of information regarding old versions of edits should require the approval of the original poster and whoever made the edit (which might be a moderator). In some cases it even might be important to hide the existence of such retro-edits.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time": I GOT 99 PROBLEMS, SO I USED CROISSANTS. NOW I HAVE 100 PROBLEMS.

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:24 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:  It's true that once someone hits that "submit" button, their writing is "out there" and might be copied by someone and reposted, or otherwise disseminated beyond the control of the original poster. This has happened a few times here. But the practical truth is that after an edit, the old version will probably disappear. Mirrors work in the simple obvious way, which means if you edit a post before the OTT starts a new page, the mirror keeps only the latest version.
  If I need to edit out something private/bad/dangerous, I realise there's a risk that it might be too late, but it will probably not be too late, and in either case I'll probably try to be more careful next time. I imagine most other people here will make similar considerations. If, however, there were a complete "edit history database" that were easy to access, then it would reduce the odds to zero. If I post by mistake, it's too late. I think it would have a chilling effect on our relaxed, candid culture.
  I believe that any disclosure of information regarding old versions of edits should require the approval of the original poster and whoever made the edit (which might be a moderator). In some cases it even might be important to hide the existence of such retro-edits.
I have to agree. While in most cases seeing the edits is not a problem, not seeing them is not a problem either. I think the best option, if I want to keep the edits is not showing them at all but have them available for data restoration if that's required. Unposting things should be as easy as only editing one post and not worrying about other redudnancies.
Maybe it's good that I haven't started doing it yet.
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:As we've already established, when my internet doesn't work, I go to a strip club.
I wanna party with you! Oh, wait - you meant so that you could use their internet.
Jose, if you come down here to visit me, I will take you to the best strip club in town. (I don't know which one that is, but I know someone who would.) I'll even wear shoes.

addams wrote:Ice and the Sci-Show.
A nice pairing.

Or; Ape Hair as Fine as Frogs Hair.

waa! My software is being Hard.
For Fun Icy Info:
1. Go to U-Tube.
2. Ask for Sci-Show.
3. "8 Beautiful, Weird, and Scary Things Ice Can Do"
4....enjoy.
Ooh - that is treeish! Here's the link.
SciShow wrote:In 2003, a frostquake in Maine even caused a 20-meter crack to open up in someone's basement floor.
That must've been some basement.
Also, I was going to say that those were the prettiest bacteria farts that I've ever seen, but then I remembered cheese.

balthasar_s wrote:
how did you
I think there were 4 31s, then 3 32s, then 4 33s, then 3 34s. 35 seemed like a reasonable guess, made more reasonable by posting it after you were likely asleep. ;)

Thanks for the skalniacy etymology, and also the Słoń Inspektor explanation. I think there was something I was going to ask you about Google's translation, but it's on my other sand, so it'll have to wait.

ucim wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:It should be a good time for a bsta blitz.
It could be a "blatz", from "blast" (sending lots of stuff out) and "splat" (from the sound stuff makes when it hits the target)? In addition it recalls the xkcd vowel shift blog=>blag.
Yes!

mrob27 wrote:You could certainly be on my team. My team was organised through the /r/testsolution/ subreddit and most of us are remotes (i.e. not physically present at MIT during the Hunt). If you want to be involved next year, look on that subreddit for a post similar to the one titled "Signups for Test Solution Please Ignore for the 2017 Mystery Hunt are now live! Join now!"
Ooh... maybe....
Thanks! :)

balthasar_s wrote:My idea is:
A more careful approach:

mrob27 wrote:  I've thought about this a few times, starting when I became active here. I believe that a record of old posts might occasionally be useful, but we need to be careful not to upset the balance inherent in the status quo. That would mean that any hypothetical "retro-edit database" should have strict rules and safeguards.
  It's true that once someone hits that "submit" button, their writing is "out there" and might be copied by someone and reposted, or otherwise disseminated beyond the control of the original poster. This has happened a few times here. But the practical truth is that after an edit, the old version will probably disappear. Mirrors work in the simple obvious way, which means if you edit a post before the OTT starts a new page, the mirror keeps only the latest version.
balthasar_s wrote:I have to agree. While in most cases seeing the edits is not a problem, not seeing them is not a problem either.

Of the cases mentioned, the only one (besides data loss) that I kinda miss having a portal into the past for is the case of temporal shenanigans. Oh, and sometimes I wish I knew when a part of a post (often my own) was posted.

I find myself agreeing with all these things you both are saying, but still wondering if there might be a way to aid in the appreciation of temporal shenanigans without unduly compromising our protection.

Or maybe temporal shenanigans should be hard to pin down.
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:34 am UTC

ggh wrote:Ooh - that is treeish! Here's the link.
SciShow wrote:Also, I was going to say that those were the prettiest bacteria farts that I've ever seen, but then I remembered cheese.

Thank you ggh for finding the Link to '8 scary and Pretty Things Ice Can Do'.

balthasar_s wrote:Additionally, when I saw some information being unposted it always was relatively soon after posting it.
Yes. This.
I know I needed to make an Important Edit at one Time.
That Edit was made as soon as I was able to make the Edit.

So; Yes.
A grace period of Time for Posters to Edit seems prudent to me.

Thank you mrob27, balthasar_s, ggh, and ucim for putting so much careful consideration into the Time archives.
This Poster rests easy knowing we are in Good Hands. These things do not do themselves. Thank you, again.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”