1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:52 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this week I bought for myself a new place to live.
My own place. Wow. That's a big thing.

Heheh - make sure you don't do this.

ETA:

These are games about two creatures made of stone, the rivalry between them and various shenanigans.

TUNO: 35

ETA2:
balthasar_s wrote:Now, when you figured out how the ongtimer works,
do you know where the bsta frame (and border) size comes from?
Hmm... For BFTF, Sustainabilizer figured out that the 290*410 dimensions gave you as close to 100*1190 square pixels as you could get with a nice aspect ratio. BSTA's image size is twice that, with the same √2:1 ratio.

The 38x27 padding gives a total area of 656*464 = 304384 square pixels which keeps the √2:1 ratio and gets close to 1190*256.
Is that right?

Decree: predict what balthasar will do to his new house!

My guess?
Two words: Cabletray Railroad.
Last edited by ggh on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:26 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Hmm... For BFTF, Sustainabilizer figured out that the 290*410 dimensions gave you as close to 100*1190 square pixels as you could get with a nice aspect ratio. BSTA's image size is twice that, with the same √2:1 ratio.

The 38x27 padding gives a total area of 656*464 = 304384 square pixels which keeps the √2:1 ratio and gets close to 1190*256.
Is that right?
As can be seen here, bftf was drawn on A4 paper divided in 32 rectangles.
These were scanned with a resolution of 200lpi.
The size of one such rectangle in the scan, when brought to closest round numbers becomes 410x290.
Interestingly, 41 x 29 = 1189, which is related but not planned.

The bsta drawing style of bsta is similar but not identical. For example, the detail level is higher.
The size of the bftfrectangles was too small to make this possible.
In bsta I'm dividing the paper into 16 rectangles instead, so naturally, when scanning with the same resolution, the frame will be twice as big.
that's where the bstasize 580 x 410 comes from. A bsta frame has exactly the size of two bftf frames.
Not all bsta frames are done like this. These two frames have the same drawing of the room but at different scales.

Now the border.
1. start with a bftf frame: 410 x 290
2. remove the 0: 41 x 29
3. change to hexadecimal: 29 x 1d
4. put the 0 back where it was: 290 x 1d0
5. change back to decimal: 656 x 464.
So it's still 41x29 but 16 times and not 10.
And 656 x 464 is 1189 x 256
Why this?
I wanted a rectangle to be divisible into monospace text characters of 8x8 or 8x16 pixels that has the same ratio as bftf.
I can fit 82 x 29 (58) characters in it which is not far from the standard 80 x 25 (50) text mode.
I never made any pictures with this but the size was later used for the bsta border.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:09 pm UTC

There will be a pause while I read that again.

----

ETA:

Heheh - I almost just said the same thing HES said to you when you corrected this error last time.

Okay -
balthasar_s wrote:I wanted a rectangle to be divisible into monospace text characters of 8x8 or 8x16 pixels that has the same ratio as bftf.
When did you want this? And why?
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:14 am UTC

ggh wrote:Jose, if you come down here to visit me, I will take you to the best strip club in town. (I don't know which one that is, but I know someone who would.) I'll even wear shoes.

What's their internet connection like?

Congrats Baltamoon on your new abode! Don't drill too many holes, since there's no air on the moon, and I think you want air in your house. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:40 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Jose, if you come down here to visit me, I will take you to the best strip club in town. (I don't know which one that is, but I know someone who would.) I'll even wear shoes.

What's their internet connection like?
Well... hey, look over here at this treeish bucket fountain! Have you ever seen a bucket fountain like that before?

For decree: I'm envisioning a kind of bicycle-chain-driven dumbwaiter installed for the storage and accessibility of computer parts.
Agatha the Awesomeful

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:55 am UTC

Madness season approaching in the distance reminds me of TIME once more.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

balthasar_s

Re: 118900: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 pm UTC

ggh wrote:When did you want this? And why?
End of the summer, most likely. I wanted to use it for some "screenshots" but then I changed my plans and I didn't use it.
I made one now:

The BSTA frame size is very close to the Time (and TaT) frame size.
The BSTA frame size with border is very close to the framesize of the otherotherthing which was one of the inspirations for BSTA.
Here is a comparison:

So far there was no direct Time-relatedness seen in BSTA. The only sign of some (very indirect) relatedness could maybe be the MCP79512.

redundant:
Spoiler:
scsh.png
scsh.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 21520 times
compsize.png
compsize.png (1.97 KiB) Viewed 21520 times
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time": I GOT 99 PROBLEMS, SO I USED CROISSANTS. NOW I HAVE 100 PROBLEMS.

Postby SBN » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm UTC

I'm back from Communicado. It was a wise decision on my part to go there.

This wipend, all the wolpies are here, with all their Favorite People. We had Christmas this morning. That was fun. Now we have storms coming, probably with tornadoes. That's less fun.

ggh wrote:Gee, that looks like a lot of fun. I wanna do that someday!

We did an Escape Room on Friday. We escaped, with less than two minutes to go. It was fun, and quite interesting to see how we all interacted. (We came as two groups, the 5 of my family, and 3 others who were together, but I don't know their relationship. Sisters, possibly.)

ggh wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Yes, this week I bought for myself a new place to live.
My own place. Wow. That's a big thing.

Heheh - make sure you don't do this.

I thought this was a decree at first. Thought that was a pretty easy one.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:41 pm UTC

Image editing is not my strong suit.
This is my first time using Gimp instead of MS Paint for anything other than making gifs.
bsta-000027-2.png
BSTA-27

bsta-000028-2.png
BSTA-28

Seaish
Spoiler:
PART_1484527739252.jpg
Image courtesy of Addams.

SKALNIACY ADVENTURES is the new computer game series known for weird gameplay and incomplete translation.
Even the title.

These are games about two creatures made of stone, the rivalry between them and various shenanigans.

Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np2150

Postby mscha » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

IRREFRONGIBLY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by DrSamCarter.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IF EE:EE:EEING IS WRONG, I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT

-- posted by randompixbot

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 am UTC

Some people think these games are extremely funny, others think they're just stupid.
You tried the games and you liked it very much.

[TUNO:36?]

I would have thought I would remember that sort of thing.
Wait For It.

thunk

Re: 1190: "Alternative Facts Time"

Postby thunk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 am UTC

Explosions and...explosions?

All right, then.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

confident that the bOTTifactors' field report could only help his reputation, as they could not publicise any steambottlish tactics he might employ to manifest dragons, because any detailed evidence thereto would run afoul of the park developers' nondisclosure policy, which Mrorl and Balthacarius would have had to agree to before using the land for their dracological field research. So Tornater said he would be glad to provide his services in the wilds to the north of Dordshear-on-Thropsywatermolpleigh, in fact he insisted on it.
  Tornator soon arrived at Mrorl's and Balthacarius' "wild molpy sanctuary" and was met by the bOTTifactors, who welcomed him warmly and explained that they now needed to split up, the better to cover the territory and catch any apparating dragons on film. This they did by travelling in time, as they had planned, Mrorl to the aforewhen and Balthacarius to the afterwhen. In simpler terms, they explored the many aeons of Watermolpshire's past and future history, seeking the origins of any and all of its draco-lore. This history saw the advent and passing of a few dynasties that figure prominently in our tale.
  Balthacarius worked for a spell in the temporal domain of Duchess Minumanegon, who was prepared to offer him the finest mobile bOTTronic Engineering Workshop, complete with three pairs of phase-matched Temporal Object Generators, if only he could track down and unbasement the famed ChronosDragon. The well-known signature image with its gears counting out the Newpix was nowhere to be seen, though the Newpages had an energy about them, as if swarmed with Virtuals. A virtual ChronosDragon, the uneducated and simple-minded might say, "isn't really there", having no observable posts nor displaying the slightest intention of making any; but the Cybr-Mrorl-Balthacarius-Chaan caculation (not to mention the Drachendragzoortmar wave equation) clearly shows that a dragon can jump from the steampunk era to postmodern corporate times with no more effort than it takes to punsaw an eggcorn. Thus, on any Newpage, past or future, provided the molpishness is high, you could meet with a dragon or possibly even a metadragon.
  Instead of PMing the missing OTTer, which would have accomplished everything or nothing, Balthacarius, a true robotechnician, approached the problem $REDUNDANT$ly; in servers and power supplies, on hard drives and leopads he placed

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 am UTC

bsta-000029-2.png
Spoiler:

Some people think these live recreations are extremely funny, others think they're just stupid.
You tried making one and you liked it very much.
ETA: Ch*rp.
That second CD got rotated to the left by mistake. I never noticed until after I posted the picture
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Madness season approaching in the distance reminds me of TIME once more.
Gee, I wonder if it will Coincide with the Robotic Madness in the works.

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:When did you want this? And why?
End of the summer, most likely. I wanted to use it for some "screenshots" but then I changed my plans and I didn't use it.
I made one now:
Ooh - that looks treeish!
And it's the full version, eh? Of course it is. What did I think it would be?
Care to show us the gui version too?

SBN wrote:This wipend, all the wolpies are here, with all their Favorite People. We had Christmas this morning. That was fun. Now we have storms coming, probably with tornadoes. That's less fun.

We did an Escape Room on Friday. We escaped, with less than two minutes to go. It was fun, and quite interesting to see how we all interacted. (We came as two groups, the 5 of my family, and 3 others who were together, but I don't know their relationship. Sisters, possibly.)
Ooh, nifty! I heard a FOAF say that he (along with some others) did one here in Wellington. I think they didn't make it out. Well, I mean, they did, or I wouldn't have heard the story, but not in the allotted Time.

Probably with Tornadoes??!!? Aaaaa! I'm scared from here! Does your WDOP have a good place to hide?

GnomeAnne wrote:Image editing is not my strong suit.
This is my first time using Gimp instead of MS Paint for anything other than making gifs.
Spoiler:

SKALNIACY ADVENTURES is the new computer game series known for weird gameplay and incomplete translation.
Even the title.

They're great! I believe you have many strong suits.

GnomeAnne wrote:
Spoiler:

Some people think these games are extremely funny, others think they're just stupid.
You tried the games and you liked it very much.

[TUNO:36?]

I would have thought I would remember that sort of thing.
It's been over five years. Maybe you've had a lot going on?

36 hours... interesting.

thunk wrote:Explosions and...explosions?

All right, then.
The Polish Wikipedia page for Wybuch translated to English by Google wrote:the term "explosion" is sometimes considered a synonym for "explosion".

Those bOTTifactors are so clever. I'm kinda glad that I don't know the originals - I enjoy the surprises. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:15 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Image

Nice, but...
Probably nobody here would write "eksplozje" with a "Ƶ". Because "Ƶ" is used as an alternative form of "Ż". :)
BSTA

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 am UTC

I make the number seven with a stroke through it, sometimes when I make a "Z" I put a stroke through it without thinking.
I did that to the first one, so I made the other one the same.
I also made an "I" instead of a "J".
And the second CD is turned the wrong way.
And that, boys and girls, is why you do not use permanent ink when you make mistakes.
ETA:Image
Spoiler:
bsta-000029-2.5.png
Lazy plagiarizing quasi-fix.
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Also forecast for tomorrow night is 160kph gusts. Stink.
I guess there's not much general aviation down there. It'd take full power to stand still!
It would have been rough! But like I said, it didn't happen. Here's the hourly gusts at the airport:
Spoiler:
You'll see that only got at high as 117 at the airport weather station. The airport tends to have much lower gusts though, so 117 was kinda out of the ordinary for them. Whereas the 120 they recorded that day at the Kelburn station was way off the 141 a week prior that blew down the greenhouse, 117 at the airport was #1 with a bullet for the last 30 days and probably for quite a while before that.

And when did the wind peak? 6am, just when the flights should have been getting underway. There were lots of cancellations and delays at first (and later, quite a few retries on landing). For a while that morning, the only airline flying was Sounds Air, with their little Cessna Caravans. You could probably give me a quite reasonable explanation for that, but knowing nothing about flying, it just seemed pretty cool. Brave little planes and their crazy little pilots. :)

Just got to read Torgos 9 and 10. :)
Torgos wrote:my breath weapon will massively increase in damage potential
Oh poor Torgos, there are easier ways to accomplish that....

I was entertained, but a bit confused - where was everyone? Were you and your friends having a brief interlude from playing your usual selves and playing the parts of goblins instead? And I may be a bit slow on the uptake here, but the extra pages that are only sometimes visible... that's a metaphor for things you're telling that are kinda outside what the perception of your character should be?
Also, you said that Torgos is high in intelligence but lacking in wisdom. He seems pretty wise to me. In what ways does low wisdom play a part?

I watched a Kreatury fight. Baobabs, Słoń Inspektor is brutal! He seemed like such a cute little avatar....

Naturally, I'm at the mercy of Google Translate when I 'm curious about what's being written, and it's pretty awesomeful, but has its limitations.
Spoiler:
What is "when each is uncertain, it is easy to topple" supposed to mean?

addams wrote:I have, for many a Christmas, celebrated by planting bulbs.
I skipped last year, I was not feeling well enough to walk.

This year I will be planting Gladiolus.
I have enough for two medium pots.
Ah, what lovely flowers. They were my mother's favourite. May they bloom brilliantly for you!

For decree:
Is there enough room in the new backyard for this?

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 9.03.51 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 11.02.03 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 3.40.07 am.png
Agatha the Awesomeful

simen

Postby simen » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

I just logged in after three and a half years to ask what the hell is going on here.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Gnoice!
Is that what a linux user says when they want their drink neat?

ImageImage

edit: ninja'd
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm UTC

simen wrote:I just logged in after three and a half years to ask what the hell is going on here.

A spontaneous sustainable online community is what's going on. Started as a discussion of Time, and sort of expanded from there, what with Time-themed artwork, songs, poetry, sequels, prequels, parallel-universequels and the like.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I watched a Kreatury fight. Baobabs, Słoń Inspektor is brutal! He seemed like such a cute little avatar....
The whole game is about brutal fights. Additionally, after the "trainers" create their characters they have no influence on what's going on. They can only provide some comments during a short talk before or after the fight.

ggh wrote:What is "when each is uncertain, it is easy to topple" supposed to mean?
What is actually written means that when he is being himself (without any "help" from the flower) he doesn't feel very confident (on these wheels) and it's easier to make him fall over. (which actually happened in the first fight (1:05:50))

ggh wrote:Does googlebot visit the moon? A search for bsta didn't turn up much. I thought maybe you uninvited it.
It looks like googlebot likes following links posted in the ott. That's why when GnomeAnne posted some links to the tape interface (and told not to click them) I was a little afraid that googlebot might follow all the links (which would result in clicking those buttons) and accidentally start bsta. Luckily, that's not what happened.

Googlebot doesn't visit bsta much. Instead seems to be very interested in the aftertime viewer.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

Interesting. I can't remember exactly what, but I remember searching for some BSTA stuff and being surprised that there were no hits on Google.
Just now I searched for "skalniacy adventures" and got the OTT and BSTA as I'd expect, so I don't know if Google's gotten more nosy about the moon or if I just did a lame search before.
I was going to say Two Words entries still don't get to Google, but that's not true: the older ones are there.
So yeah, never mind.
Agatha the Awesomeful

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:19 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Just got to read Torgos 9 and 10. :)
Torgos wrote:my breath weapon will massively increase in damage potential
Oh poor Torgos, there are easier ways to accomplish that....

Bwahahaha :mrgreen: The Breath Weapon that your usual Dragonborn characters get is rather nice at very low levels, but it scales (heh) terribly with levelling; it only gains an extra 1d6 every few levels, and is outclassed by even basic cantrips after a short while.

I was entertained, but a bit confused - where was everyone? Were you and your friends having a brief interlude from playing your usual selves and playing the parts of goblins instead?

Exactly - The DM finds the emergent Goblins arc so interesting that he asked us if we'd be interested in playing/seeing things from their perspective every now and then. There was no question which Goblin I'd be playing as (Scrimjaw), and we got to roll dice to determine their base stats and generate them as proper, playable characters. Due to some beautifully-lucky rolls, they ended up skewing quite high on the stats distribution, with Scrimjaw ending up with 18 Intelligence, and Rocktooth with 17 (he too rolled an 18 to assign to one of his stats, but the DM ruled that since Scrimjaw was canonically the most intelligent, Rocktooth would have to be lower in Int somehow; the 18 he rolled got assigned to another stat); only 1 point lower is an almost perfect representation of the rolls of 100 vs 86 for their initial Intelligence determinations. Funny how stuff seems to work out according to the plot!

And I may be a bit slow on the uptake here, but the extra pages that are only sometimes visible... that's a metaphor for things you're telling that are kinda outside what the perception of your character should be?

Yes. As part of the ongoing story, Torgos has most assuredly "seen some shit" as the saying goes. He has a unique interest in thoroughly documenting the world (really extending on his Sage background). Having being in quite close proximity to an attempting-to-resurrect-itself evil deity so often, he's started to absorb some of the divine energies it's shedding like a very leaky battery (since this deity can't keep hold of all its divine essence, especially when we keep dealing huge amounts of damage to the physical forms it takes).

This has resulted in the (possibly unheard of until now) arc of him picking up a second Wizard school: Divination. According to the rules-as-written, a Wizard may choose one school of magic, and one only, to pursue and focus all their studies on mastering. For Torgos, that was Transmutation, with him creating a Transmuter Stone, being able to shape physical matter into other forms, etc etc... With him picking up this second school (I suppose you'd call it "multiclassing" in a way), he also gets all the benefits of the Divination school of magic, such as the Portent ability now being built-in instead of having to rely on the Portent Necklace (which he can now give to someone else). The catch is that, since he's only recently started to "see the Weave" of reality, he only got the first ability of the Divination school (the one you'd normally get at the first level you choose to specialise in it), and he took a -6 permanent loss to his Wisdom stat to balance it out (a permanent, non-undoable penalty of minus six to a stat is also basically unheard of, but loss of Wisdom is, in-setting, a sure sign of someone going raving mad, so it's perfectly appropriate). Every level-up from that point, he gains another one of the abilities that he'd "normally" have if he was following it from the start, until he "catches up", and after that point whenever he reaches an appropriate level, he'll gain the appropriate skills from both schools of magic in one go. I feel that I need to be clear here: The -6 penalty is one that I carefully considered and completely agreed on with the DM in exchange for Torgos gaining the Divination school. When one of the other players found out that I'd taken a -6, he was utterly shocked and immediately enquired as to whether it could be undone; I was the first to say no and explain why (and why I'm cool with it). The good thing is that I may, occasionally, find items that permanently increase stats; every second level, I also get the option of either a new Feat, or +2 to one of my stats (or +1 each to two of them). I may take that option to "help" Torgos adjust to his new life of being able to modify Fate, and slowly restore his sanity (Wisdom) through items and levels.

For example, let's say he was Level 9 when he picked up the Divination school. He immediately gains whatever ability a Diviner Wizard gets when they first choose it (in this case, the "Divination Savant" innate ability, and the "Portent" ability the Necklace was previously giving him). When he hits Level 10, he gets to choose the next skill along (normally granted at Level 6: "Expert Divination") and the Transmuter Level 10 reward ("Shapechanger"). At Level 11, he gains the Divination Level 10 reward ("The Third Eye"), and now he's "caught up" so to speak, so when he hits Level 14, he will gain the rewards for both Transmutation Level 14 ("Master Transmuter") and Divination Level 14 ("Greater Portent").

In all of these cases, where a level would grant additional Feats or Stat Points, he still only gains that level's bonus once (such as +2 to a stat); being dual-schooled doesn't mean he gets to double up on the bonuses. (Even if it were technically allowed, I wouldn't do it anyway; being dual-schooled is already pretty damned overpowered).

Also, you said that Torgos is high in intelligence but lacking in wisdom. He seems pretty wise to me. In what ways does low wisdom play a part?

Torgos is very smart (Int of 18 [+4]), but not very wise (current Wis of 9 [-1]). He is able to think up "a great idea!" but lacks the insight to follow that chain of thought through to its conclusion. As such, he's impulsive and reckless, often acting without thought for how his actions will affect the rest of the party. He also gets a -1 penalty to Wisdom-based saves, such as mental effects like Charm, making him dangerously able to be influenced by enemies. A perfect example of his low Wisdom is one of the most recent fights, where for pure style points, he literally moonwalked away from an attacking enemy rather than properly disengaging and running (he was getting the tar beaten out of him). That moonwalk gave the enemy a free swing at him. Now, does moonwalking in the middle of a fight seem wise to you? ;)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:04 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 am UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:This wipend, all the wolpies are here, with all their Favorite People. We had Christmas this morning. That was fun. Now we have storms coming, probably with tornadoes. That's less fun.

Ooh, nifty! I heard a FOAF say that he (along with some others) did one here in Wellington. I think they didn't make it out. Well, I mean, they did, or I wouldn't have heard the story, but not in the allotted Time.

Probably with Tornadoes??!!? Aaaaa! I'm scared from here! Does your WDOP have a good place to hide?

Most people don't beat the times on the rooms. I think the success rate for ours is 22%. It was not the easiest room they had, but it was the one that worked for our schedule and preferences -- We all decided we wanted a fun, Sherlock Holmes themed one, and not a super intense or horror one. It did get very intense feeling as we got down to the end.

The storms were intense - the news called them 6 out of 5, but no damage to us, and while it seems a lot of trees are down around town, they seem to have fallen politely. Other places did not fare as well, unfortunately. Our WDOP is not great for hiding from weather in. The walls are very strong, but we have windows everywhere. We did have to give up our plans to go out to eat, but we didn't even lose electricity. (Losing power might have been a good thing, since there was much angst over the wrong handegg teams winning.)

TGW takes her favorite people back home today. (For some definitions of "take," as a wolpy, driving a car is not among her skills.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

HES

Postby HES » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:25 am UTC

SBN wrote:as a wolpy, driving a car is not among her skills

Yet.
He/Him/His Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:00 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:Now, does moonwalking in the middle of a fight seem wise to you? ;)
Wise? No.
Awesomeful? Yes. :)
Who's responsibility is it for Torgos to be a bit nuts? I mean, did you volunteer to moonwalk, or did you say "I flee!" and the DM shifted that to moonwalk, or did you choose retreat and then have to roll to see if you'd do so in a sensible manner?

Sorry if I'm asking to many questions here - the story-within-a-story is treeish, but the story is treeish too.

So glad to hear you and yours are okay SBN!
I don't suppose you got an elf hat on TGW? Those ears seem made for one....

ContinuONG ellipses:

But the multiplayer mode is what these games were really made for.
It would be cool to play it with someone else.

TUNO: 36

For decree: I liked it, dammit Mosaic splashbacks,
but instead of tiles, made from broken IC chips.
Agatha the Awesomeful

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:27 pm UTC

Skalniak niebieski ? Blue rock-like... thing

hmmm... Blues Rock ? :P

ggh wrote:Who's responsibility is it for Torgos to be a bit nuts? I mean, did you volunteer to moonwalk, or did you say "I flee!" and the DM shifted that to moonwalk, or did you choose retreat and then have to roll to see if you'd do so in a sensible manner?
In most cases, having a character act appropriately to their character sheet falls squarely upon the player. It depends on the gaming group's social contract, of course, but many view it as bad manners for the GM to take direct control of a players actions.
For this kind of case (a character's sanity slipping badly), both the player and the GM usually work together in order to ensure that fun is still had.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:15 pm UTC

ggh wrote:For decree: I liked it, dammit
Spoiler:
Mosaic splashbacks,
but instead of tiles, made from broken IC chips.

I like it too, but I forgot it in my last post.
For decree, here's something for the desk:

And for the wall:

And in case the wall is seaish enough:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
lamp.jpg
lamp.jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 18595 times

clock.jpg

wall.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

thunk

Postby thunk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:22 pm UTC

Install an airlock system, because he's on the moon?
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

GnomeAnne

Explosions and... Explosions? Well all right, then.

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:22 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Decree: predict what balthasar will do to his new house!

Okay, okay, geez.

He'll need a couch
Spoiler:

And snacks
Spoiler:
Image(It's two cinnamon rolls)

The walls in my living/dining room used to be a pale brownish green, I painted them like this.
Spoiler:

thunk wrote:Weird chewing guy by eran_rathan
Spoiler:
Wierd Chewing Guy.gif
Wierd Chewing Guy.gif (1.72 KiB) Viewed 18142 times
637.jpeg
icon_twisted-2.gif
icon_twisted-2.gif (251 Bytes) Viewed 8362 times
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Wait For It.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Wise? No.
Awesomeful? Yes. :)
Who's responsibility is it for Torgos to be a bit nuts? I mean, did you volunteer to moonwalk, or did you say "I flee!" and the DM shifted that to moonwalk, or did you choose retreat and then have to roll to see if you'd do so in a sensible manner?

Sorry if I'm asking to many questions here - the story-within-a-story is treeish, but the story is treeish too.

Questions are important! They remind me that observers such as yourself don't have the context that I do, and that I'm probably leaving out details (like this) that help to give framing to the story being told.

The moonwalk was entirely my spontaneous idea; the DM just rolled with it (although by this point you could call our entire playstyle "The DM Just Rolled With It", which is also hilariously punny and would make a great VHS album title) and fairly decided that since Torgos wasn't correctly disengaging (which costs an action), the normal "free attack" rules applied... And the enemy missed anyway. Bwahahaha, style = rewarded!

To answer the initial question, each character's actions are entirely controlled by their player. Even if you're under a Charm / mind control effect, good players can shift their way of thinking so their character acts entirely within their (temporary) "new" mindset, including aiding their enemies, attacking friends, etc, for the duration of the effect. If necessary, the DM can instead choose to mandate those actions (the player may not be comfortable doing so.)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:20 pm UTC

karhell wrote:Have a look at Roll20. It's an online virtual tabletop with integrated chat. I've had a poke around, and it looks pretty treeish, once properly set up.
From the outside, it does look quite interesting.

balthasar_s wrote:Do you want the talks and the to rolls be in the same place?
Looks like the perfect platform for you would be an IRC with a dice roll functionality added.
This reminds me from back when I used to hang out in IRC; I even had a bot.
Why do y'all keep reminding me of the fun projects I used to work on?

The bOTTeriada is going so fast I can't even keep track of the paragraph I'm in anymore.

ggh wrote:
Decree: predict what balthasar will do to his new house!

Spoiler:
ImageIs this enough to reach the Moon?
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

probabilistic dracometric field detectors; in phase-balanced pairs biased against each other so as to distunguish posts by the true ChronosDragon from anything conjured up by Tornator; meanwhile he configured a standard-gauge causality loop via a Temporal Object Generator carried on the second rocketship *GEMG*, in such a way that it would cause a paradox if indeed ChronosDragon himself posted, or if instead there were nothing at all resembling a dragon; and presently a conjured dracopost clearly of Tornator's manufacture appeared at the bottom of the page. Collecting all necessary data, Balthacarius reset the experiment and began moving back in time to repeat it. On the way, he noticed an endless repeating transmission by OTTers posting frantically. Thinking it might be Mrorl in some sort of endless temporal loop, he replied. But it was only the followers of Tymandria, the subjects of Queen Rytor (successor to Minumanegon), pastposting into ante-Minumanous times. The Tymandrians took to various superstitions and their religion, Austinian Dracolatry, taught that dragons basemented as divine retribution for their heresies and brought all disloyal Waiters into the basement with them. Quickly realising it would be useless to discuss matters with the Royal Dragologues -- their methods consisted primarily of chanting sonnets about the sacred Firstframe -- Balthacarius instead scanned the Tymandrians' posts in the same way he had just done with Minumanegon's non-ChronosDragon. This revealed that the Newpages of Rytor's dynasty had been unaffected by true dragons, but were merely experiencing ripples from their aforewhen, though he detected some so-called dragonomalies, in which certain phrases, particularly when repeated in verse, underwent a "smearing" effect, which was in reality nothing more than a simple isOTTopic frame-acceleration of asynchronous quantum pixels, visibly expressed as alphanumeric code. He requested a meeting with Queen Rytor's official historian, and politely asked for links to the earliest posts in the dips of their religion's founding, then boarded the *LEML* and navigated back to the indicated Newpage, minus a few for good measure, whereupon he met up with Mrorl.
  His fellow bOTTifactor, having noticed some particularly strong wyrmsign radiating from the early 1600's, had demodulated it, revealing a curious message from the aforewhen -- a cake bearing the numbers "<@:%27%$x3$:>" in green, and the caption <*:AGYEO ABFOZ AAFNW AOGZL ABFSL:> ^{3}. Mrorl had then Time-traveled there to investigate, and had encountered this desperate plea^{4}:

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:48 pm UTC

Thanks for the D&D explanations, karhell and Gingercat! I'm pretty sure if I were ever in the position where I was supposed to do something dumb that might harm myself or my companions, I'd need some assistance from the DM.

I'm pretty excited about the colour in the last BSTA frame. I wonder if colour will be the norm for the in-game shots.

That's some awesomeful equipment for the new bicycles-on-the-moonbase!
I found some boxcar doors for sale for $1, but sadly they don't deliver. Feature walls?

Is it wrong that whilst reading the last bOTTeriada entry I wondered if there would be a test?
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:55 pm UTC

!decree,,,
Am I really so one dimensional?
I actually use some old gears as a door stop.

That's not a whole house, however.
What I got is one part of a greater house (+ some outside).

I received my keys and went there yesterday.
I was there before once but this time I found something I haven't noticed before, a cool telephone (RWT Tulipan). A nice surprise.

ggh wrote:I'm pretty excited about the colour in the last BSTA frame. I wonder if colour will be the norm for the in-game shots.
I wonder what reaction there would be if for some reason I decide to draw something with a colour not seen in the previously used color palettes. For example, greeen or pink or whatever else...
BSTA

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:13 pm UTC

Pink? My mind would be blown!

I doubt anyone has considered "one-dimensional" a term to describe you. Ever.

Better?
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

The Inquisition runs commercials?

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:27 pm UTC

New OtherComic:Things that are on my side plus 600.
Spoiler:
It's even related!Image
Decree:
Spoiler:
Don't let your black holes get out of hand.Image
RSIR:
Spoiler:
sad.png
Every angle is a right angle...with a certain degree of rotation. -Obi-Wan Kenobi
Artwork origionally from xkcd.com
blinky line.gif
blinky line.gif (111 Bytes) Viewed 16592 times

ETA: I really want one of these lamps, but I have no place to use it.
Next BSTA:>Consider multiplayer possibilitiesImage

Consider multiplayer possibilities

You already tried with one of your friends.
He didn't want. He thinks it's just a waste of time.

What a lousy friend.
Wait For It.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:28 am UTC

ggh wrote:So glad to hear you and yours are okay SBN!
I don't suppose you got an elf hat on TGW? Those ears seem made for one....

No, we missed the opportunity. (Of course, our elf hats are all sized for the bigger wolpies so the ears (and head) of TGW would be lost inside.)

Some Ways to Time

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”