1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Hospital and Chill Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:12 am UTC

ggh wrote:
addams wrote:oh...The Storm rages on outside my windows.
(Waa!) It blew my 300+ pound Throne partway into a gully.
Oh no! That was some storm!
You need a friend with a tirfor.

Sometimes I need a friend with a tirfor too, but I'm not sure how to meet them.
So many dating sites. So few meet-unromantic-folks-with-tools sites.
There are sites for all kinds of people and needs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJDI_2BrZk :P :D
I never heard of a tirfor before but google was adequately webvenient.

If your Perception is at least 7 you can choose the Refractor perk, which can help you in a fight with keyboards armed with energy weapons.

Oh, and my oncologist says my results are maximally molpish. Yay!!!!!!!!

Hotdog Vendor's Decree: share some good news, or a story or song about good news.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:29 am UTC

Ooh - it's hard to imagine better news than yours ED - congratulations!

For the decree, I have lettuce, cucumbers, little tomatoes, radishes, and in a couple weeks I hope, bell peppers/capsicum. And today, I bumped into a friend who invites me and another friend over to her house for dinner/movie nights very once in a while, and she tells me she's planning another one soon. I'll be able to show off my home-grown salad! (I know, this isn't really exciting, but it's exciting to me.)

Contact TLF

You start a private chat with your friend known as theLuckyFinder.
(You don't know her actual name. She didn't tell you.)
She answers immediately.

She answers immediately! I have a good feeling about this - we're going to get to blow stuff up with her!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:02 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:28 am UTC

ggh; I think your Good New is exciting.
You have built a GreenHouse.
Inside that structure you have grown food!

And; You have Real Life friends to share it with.
All of that is impressive.Congratulations!

I have a lush crop of wild mushrooms growing
in my GreenHouse. Pretty, yet inedible.

These mushrooms are, most likely in the
Peziza Family of Mushrooms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peziza
These little guys are cute.
http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Geop ... naria.html

Yep. Only mine are better than any internet image I can find.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Peziza+ ... 9q_YCkuaPM:
Like that, only Lush and so numerous they
are crowded into shapes that look like roses.
Brown, wet roses.

!Congratulations! Eternal Density;
You will get to live to be an old man.
The world is a better place with you in it.

I have similar Good News.
Dr. Eric, The Radiologist, says,
I am a good candidate for more life extending treatment, again.
Spoiler:
What I have is deadly.
Even a short five years ago, Nothing could be done.

I was sent to a Reasurch/University Facility.
I qualified for Experimental Chemo.

I am one of the 50% treatment did not kill.
(yes. It made me wish I'd died. (shrug))

Now;...An amazing Man,The Radiologist, says
He can extend my life, some more, again,

If all goes according to plan,
I will be well enough to enjoy
The Total Eclipse of The Sun.
On Aug 21st, 2017.
That is good news.
Right?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Molpy Down Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am UTC

addams, that is very good, and also molpish!

Our strawberries have grown well, and also snow peas and cherry tomatoes. And a bunch of other stuff, most which I don't remember because I didn't plant it, but there's definitely corn. I mostly help with weeding, though I get out of it when I can :P

Because my lapleopard's sound doesn't give a chirp, but Bluetooth works, todip I bought myself a bluetooth receiver which I can plug any sound producing device (headphones or speakers or a hi-fi system) into to produce sound. Or in other words, all headlphones are now bluetooth headphones. This is important because it means I can plug in a splitter to share sound with StormAngel, which I like to do sometimes but cannot do with bluetooth headphones because it only lets you have a single audio sink. I also bought a new bag for my lapleopard as I was borrowing one from StormAngel for a slightly more seaish lapleopard (actually, I was borrowing it back from him as it is actually mine but I never used it because my old lapleopard is even more seaish than the bag) and anyhow while the new lapleopard does fit in the bag alright, the redundant parts of the bag make it a bit of a squeeze to go inside my carry bag - and i prefer to have my laptop inside a bag of its own even when inside another seaish bag because redundancy is molpish - especially when trying to fit many other things in the bag such as glasses (which are made of plastic, not sand, lol), wallet, my folder of medical papers, chocolate, and briefly my leopad but then I left it out of the bag because I was using it to play audiobooks while driving. Incidentally the book I'm listening to at the moment has several place names and organisations given in Polish (only in a few chapters as its just one of many planets on which stuff is occurring) but because I don't know any Polish it's all lost on me and I can't really tell one name from another. I definitely couldn't write any of it down. If I had a written book I would have better odds of telling names apart but then I would have no idea how any were pronounced.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:52 pm UTC

Eternal Density! What have you done to me!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJDI_2BrZk

One link leads to another link...
umm...Those people in B.C. Canada have
In-Jokes, Out-Jokes and Simple Goofiness.

I know this, because I spent an hour like a Beagle.
Following my nose from one link to another link;
Until I was Lost.

I can't un-know Rose Quartz. I can't not giggle.

EDIT: I spoke to Eric's Scheduler.
I have a date with a very handsome man.

What should I wear??
Spoiler:
A Hospital Gown that opens in the back?
It's a Classic Timeless Look.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

addams wrote:Dr. Eric, The Radiologist, says,
I am a good candidate for more life extending treatment, again.
Eternal Density wrote:Oh, and my oncologist says my results are maximally molpish. Yay!!!!!!!!
That is Molpish news indeed!
Eternal Density wrote:Hotdog Vendor's Decree
I love Petra! :D

GLR keeps referencing star dew valley, but I didn't know what it is. Fortunately I found a very amusing overview: (unfortunately it includes some unmolpish words).

addams wrote:Eternal Density! What have you done to me!!

I know, the same thing happened to me, distracted me from that Q04B hotdog.Edited because hotdog not game
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Loading Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:46 pm UTC

addams wrote:Eternal Density! What have you done to me!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJDI_2BrZk

One link leads to another link...
umm...Those people in B.C. Canada have
In-Jokes, Out-Jokes and Simple Goofiness.

I know this, because I spent an hour like a Beagle.
Following my nose from one link to another link;
Until I was Lost.

I can't un-know Rose Quartz. I can't not giggle.
Oh baobabs, you watched the latest Feed Dump, lol :P Feed Dump doesn't often go quite that far, but when it does... yeah.

(did anyone see the Mage Stones teaser posted a few dips ago? I don't remember seeing any comments.)

They're very fun people. They have about eleven years of comedy sketches (they were putting out one a week) and since they stopped doing that they seem to have even more content! For instance, now they have a fortnightly live variety show. I can't keep up with it all.

The video I originally linked - The Profile - is a bit special because they live streamed the brainstorming, shooting, and editing process, taking some audience suggestions. Doing that every week is their newest show. So anyone interested in the process behind it all can watch it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56UBoJ-6frk

They do a trailer for their weekly streams but they sometime's don't so the latest was in January but it gives an idea of some of the stuff they do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXGyZvgrgA Oh and the ludicrously funny fake radio program they make called QWERPline is really great.

Yes, I'm an enabler :P

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:23 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Did anyone see the Mage Stones teaser posted a few dips ago? I don't remember seeing any comments.

Everymolp was speechless from being so excited about it.

Eternal Density wrote:Speaking of writing, I reworked the opening paragraphs of the prologue. It goes something like this:
Spoiler:
Wait for It...
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 am UTC

Hi everymolpy. I've been meaning to do one big ketchup with many replies to posts for wips and mips now, but I suppose I ought to get real and admit it won't happen except for what I can think about offhand. Anyone who may have expected some kind of reaction from me, consider yourself to have been thought of.

One thing that comes to mind is addams dealing with iced-up car windscreens. De-icing with warm (hot?) water sounds like a recipe for getting a cracked windscreen to me, so you've probably been lucky you don't get hard frosts where you live. A blanket (which you can keep in place with the doorframes, if need be) sounds much better. Around here you can see people who don't want to spend money on purpose-made metal-coated sheets make do with suitably sized pieces of cardboard, which seems pretty effective (not to mention cost-effective) too.

Happy to read about the molpish health news from both addams and ED!

And ED, I read the preview. Looking forward to seeing more of your steakish story of a storm of steel and steam again. Will you be starting over?
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np3086

Postby mscha » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00 am UTC

RONGSTERS...
Spoiler:
(Colorization by mscha.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE FIRST RULE OF BUKKIT CLUB IS, YOU DON'T TALK ABOUT BUKKIT CLUB

-- posted by randompixbot

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:55 am UTC

svenman wrote:Hi everymolpy. I've been meaning to do one big ketchup with many replies to posts for wips and mips now, but I suppose I ought to get real and admit it won't happen except for what I can think about offhand. Anyone who may have expected some kind of reaction from me, consider yourself to have been thought of.

One thing that comes to mind is addams dealing with iced-up car windscreens. De-icing with warm (hot?) water sounds like a recipe for getting a cracked windscreen to me, so you've probably been lucky you don't get hard frosts where you live. A blanket (which you can keep in place with the doorframes, if need be) sounds much better. Around here you can see people who don't want to spend money on purpose-made metal-coated sheets make do with suitably sized pieces of cardboard, which seems pretty effective (not to mention cost-effective) too.

Apparently you can cut an onion or potato and rub that on the windshield ahead of time and it will help?
Can't say I'm likely to try it here. Ice is not generally our problem.

I survived my week with the wolpies. (MSWFP and GHWFP went to Sweden, so I had sad wolpies.) Especially GHW, since he had no one to help. My WFFS let me stay home with them for the week, which helped.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been doing a fair amount of thinking of replies without actually replying.
addams wrote:If all goes according to plan,
I will be well enough to enjoy
The Total Eclipse of The Sun.
On Aug 21st, 2017.That is good news.
Right?

It is indeed. And perhaps a good time to see if we can make it even better.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:36 am UTC

I keep a woven rope and wire floor mat like this one in my car during winter.
Image It goes on the driver's side of the windshield at night, and if I get stuck, I can throw it under the tire for added traction.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

point of view, and the coördinates thereof are interrelated by the very dracomorphic fluctuations that allow dragons to travel so parodoxically in the first place. If the three positions can be determined accurately enough, the dragon's movements can be predicted well enough to intercept the source, that is, corner the dragon itself. It was this phenomenon which the fabled dracohunter Oophamegax Clay exploited when xe invented the antitemporal saurian-seeking guidance system for missiles, outlawed long ago as dragon-hunting was deemed inhumane. Mrorl had recently reconstructed it, in triplicate as that is what was needed to triangulate the triple locations of three dragons, then gave the plans to

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:01 am UTC

Continue conversation

You started a private chat with theLuckyFinder (TLF).
B: Hi
TLF: Oh, hi,
TLF: What's new? Any thing intrestening?
B: Not really, except that I'm waiting for my new glasses. But that's not why I'm writing now.
TLF: No, please tell.
TLF: Why you yould wait for new glasses?
B: They became a little too small for me.
TLF: Are drinking more these days?
B: No, the other kind of glasses.
TLF: You mean, the eye windows?
TLF: Ok, I understand now.
TLF: Also, what is the your original reason?
B: I wanted to ask.
B: Would you be interested in playing a game?

That wasn't a good decision, to use this computer. You have to send the game file from the CD. How will you do it on a computer which doesn't have a CD drive and is connected to the network with a RS232 cable?

Hmmm, My inner picture of TLF has shifted a bit.

Y'all should also click through to see how this looks in its native BSTA format.

I'm slightly in the past - not reading, but responding. There's even a few posts on the last NP I still want to reply to (including yours ED). Tired and busy. I'll get there....
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:13 am UTC

By the way, unless I missed it, it hasn't been mentioned here yet that recently the OTA has published not only one, but two other-non-comics. This seems like a good sign for the return of regular installments.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hmmm, My inner picture of TLF has shifted a bit.
Was it a right or left shift?
Also, you already had a picture? Where did you get it? :)

I had a related dream today:
I was in a room. there was a similar setup like in a classroom. Only that the tables were larger and further apart. Also, the whole room was bigger than a classroom.
I was sitting at a table on the left edge. Next to me were two OTTers. GnomeAnne on the left and ggh on the right. (Why these two? Maybe it has something to do that they are the most involved in writing things about BSTS so I'm thinking more about them? I don't know.) I don't even know what they look like. i don't even have an inner picture like ggh has. But in a dream such details are unimportant.
We were preparing to play some kind of game at this table. We had a big sheet of paper and some smaller ones. I also had my laptop. On the big paper I started making a drawing of a place (side view) and two guys standing near the right upper corner. And an "x2" whitten above one of them. The level of detail was something between just stickmans and bftf drawing style. This paper was divided into a squarish grid with squares about 8mm.
In the next step we were supposed to place our arrows on the square grid. Everyone can draw one arrow in one of the squares in the bottom row. Apparently, placing the arrow in a good square and in a good direction and then using it in the right time (the arrow can be used only once) can be very helpful for winning the game.
GnomeAnne asked why I wrote x2 above the two guys. He said that he never saw starting a game with already an x2. I said that the x2 just means that there are two of them in case you didn't notice it from the drawing.
I couldn't remember if there ware some additional rules for placing the arrows or not. I asked them but didn't wait for an answer. I started looking on my phone for the audio recording of the previous time I played this. But then I remembered that I started recording this a few minutes after the game started.
I also remembered that I don't know almost any of the rules. Maybe it wasn't a good decision to make me the one responsible for the drawing. Because the drawer is also the one who evaluates the results of players' actions based on values and numbers to decide what are the results and what happens next.
I said that I can still lead the game but because of not knowing the official rules I will do it like how I see it. So the result might be a little chaotic and also so different from the original that this could be considered a different game. I wasn't sure if that was a good idea, because someone had a good reason to invent the rules.
the other option was to let GnomeAnne, who apparently has more experience, become the new leader. But then we would have to start the drawing from beginning and maybe even get a new sheet of paper.
I asked what would be the better choice. They weren't sure what to answer.
I leaned back on my chair and looked at the ceiling thinking about it.
One of my friends from FFS appeared. He said that upstairs there is something I should see. Probably also a telephone for me but he's not really sure.
I sait that I'll be back soon, left the room and went 3 or 4 floors upstairs.
There, some people were standing and looking. In the middle there were 2 people reenacting something. I walked closer and I realised that these are two people I know from school and they're reenacting a scene from my previous dream that night.
I thought "cool, but I have to go back.". I ran back downstairs.
I was afraid that I might been away too long. It wasn't very long in real time but in game time that could be multiple rounds - almost two years in game world time. I could have lost already and not know it.
I returned to the room. In the meantime the weather outside changed completely. It was raining very much. So much that there was some water dripping from the ceiling. That made no sense because the room was in the lowest floor - it was partially underground. Such a thing should have happened on the top floor, not here. But in the dream it wasn't strange to me at all. There were some other people at other tables, not very happy about this situation.
I looked at my desk. I didn't see the game on it any more. Instead, it now looked more like my desk with all my stuff on it.
I became afraid that my things can get damaged by the water. In a panic I started disconnecting everything ad hiding in under the table. But the floor was also getting wet. So I put some unimportant things on the floor and stacked everything else on them. The others just watched. It was also getting dark. The room had some light sources but not enough so under the table I couldn't see much. GnomeAnne offered me a lamp but I refused because I had a better one in my pocket.

And then I was waken up by my phone which for some reason had an alarm set at 5:10AM even though it shouldn't.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:22 pm UTC

Thank you, SBN.
Thank you, Time.

It would take an entire internet page to tell you how much you have improved my life.
You have given me a life worth living. June Bug did The Work. Bless her Heart.

I am changing the subject, now.

It is 5:00 a.m. in my world.
The hurricane has passed.

The First Full Moon of The Year is out there;
It is shining its little heart out.

A bright white moon is surrounded by a blue halo.
The blue halo is large. Both have a thin red halo.

I am looking through thin clouds.
The horizon is clear, I see stars.

I wear a Chinese Jacket.
It is comfortable, warm and has useful pockets.

A man with a Chinese accent commented on my jacket, today.
He told me about The First Full Moon Festival. He's a Nice Man.

This night is a Big Deal for China and other Asian nations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantern_Festival
The fifteenth day is the first full moon of that lunisolar year.

Per Decree:
More Good News.

The storm passed.
I saw the Full Moon.
Spoiler:
brr.
It has turned Cold.
I need my Rabbit Sweater.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Rakhal

Postby Rakhal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:42 pm UTC

Another 11 hours on an aircastle has come to an end and I have made it back to my den. Sadly assorted mustard, some of it zanclean, foiled plans to meet with lmjb1964, but hopefully there will be another time. Now I have to placate my meowlpy....

--Rakhal

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: Time for Another Signpost

Postby Sustainabilizer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 pm UTC

The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary wrote:blitz : v. 1. To read the entire OTT. (In early usage capitalised Blitz)

Blitzing is named after Blitzgirl who in turn named herself after The Flash, or Roter Blitz in German (rot = red (adj.), Blitz = flash (noun)).

The Flash has superhuman speed. In other words, he's fast. Raptorish. Like a flash, or „blitzschnell“, (schnell = fast), as we say in German.

The opposite of “fast like a flash” is “slow like a snail”. I'm not aware of a German adjective RELATED to snails, but we have a noun „Schneckentempo“, composed of Schnecke = snail and Tempo = speed, for a very slow movement.

Right now I'm Blitzing the OTT in Schneckentempo. Does that make me a Schnecker instead of a Blitzer? Sustainaschnecker rather than Sustainablitzer?

An observation: balthasar_s can track my current Blitz (or Schneck?) position in the OTT.
Spoiler:
EveryTime I encounter a BSTA ONG, I wget the image directly from the Moon, leaving traces in the regolith. (BTW, bsta-000006.png yields 404.) I don't use a fixed IPv4 anymore, but all my IPs are in two /16 networks, so I guess that balthasar_s can recognise my footprints.

Another observation, concerning the (A)D&D Hotdog in the OTT: To a seaish extent, that's what BSTA is already doing with us.

mrob27 wrote:The Second Journey - or - The Challenge of King Idle

I'm probably missing many details because I'm neither an English native speaker, nor have I read the original story in any language, but it's awesomeful. And seaish. Waiting for it to continue …

balthasar_s: wrote:After the end of bftf I fixed the code that ends bftf.
The fixed code will never be used.

It's good that you fixed it.
It's cleaner this way.
And you never know how it might be reused.

ggh wrote:Addams painted a word-picture with Art and svenman explained it with
Science... and the harmonies between the two made an even more
beautiful song. I love this place. :)

gghGOOMH – or just stay there. It's okay. Be welcome. :)

addams wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curitiba
I found the following statement very interesting.
Curitiba has a very high Human Development Index reading at 0.856.
And in 2010 Curitiba was awarded the Global Sustainable City Award.
The Global Sustainable City Award is given to cities and municipalities that excel in sustainable urban development.

Maybe I should travel back in Time and abduct AluisioASG, so he can visit OTTerCon at The Sustainable University …

ucim wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:Perhaps the server is misbehaving because it knows balthasar will not be here to watch it.
Maybe we should call a quantum mechanic?

Yes? You called? Image

(Spoilered for SCIENCE)
Spoiler:
In case you like this kind of SCIENCE: I reconstructed PDF versions of my diploma and doctoral theses.

They are in German, but they contain nice images – more than common in this kind of literature.

In both theses I'm simulating TIME-dependent quantum systems.
Chaotic systems. ;)
(Spoilered for [computery stuff])
Spoiler:
Although I wrote everything using LaTeX, it was some real work to produce PDF versions of them. Back then, I couldn't simply use \includegraphics to include graphics. I used a self-written DVI viewer together with \special commands to include b/w graphics in a self-written format. Converting this to PNG images and \includegraphics was some work.

Colour images were even more complicated. Back then, there simply wasn't enough storage to save them, so my simulation program sent them directly to the printer. I cut them out and glued them into an enlarged version of my thesis. The final print was a scaled-down colour photocopy of that. To produce a digital version I had to make my old programs work on modern hardware, store the result in an awesomefully simple graphics format (PPM) rather than printing it, convert it to PNG, and \includegraphics it.

This worked for many colour images, but not all: Some images required a very precise tuning of the parameters of the simulation. The updated program did not reproduce them, probably due to differences10 in the rounding of floating-point numbers. To find the correct parameters I would have needed to redo the tuning – feasible, but a lot of work. Fortunately, there were saved versions of a few selected colour images, and these were among them. :)

This left me with two colour images for which I could not simply port the software to modern hardware because I wrote it in hand-optimised Assembler for some expensive special hardware I afforded back then, which needed only one week to produce the image (instead of about six, a normal PC would have needed). So I would have needed to rewrite this program from scratch.

But again, I was Lucky: I found a file named test.zip which contained another file named test.248 which contained the background of the two missing colour images, again in a very simple, self-written format. So I wrote a program to convert it to PPM, converted it to PNG and included it. So this was done, except for the lines in the foreground of these images. However I found two more files in the same directory which contained the data for the lines. With a few scripts² I converted them to TikZ, so I could reproduce the lines even as vector graphics, i.e. in a higher quality than in the original. :)

Okay, all this took way too much Time, but now my SCIENCE⁵ is where it belongs: free for everyone to download, enjoy, understand, and reproduce.

Conclusion:
  • Computer development is raptorish.
  • SCIENCE requires a lot of waiting for it.
  • It's online now. :)
So far for the moment. I hope that y'all are doing well in the Present and that I can join you there soon.

Back to my Schneck,
  Sustainablitzer The Slow
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

addams wrote:Yep. Only mine are better than any internet image I can find.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Peziza+ ... 9q_YCkuaPM:
Like that, only Lush and so numerous they
are crowded into shapes that look like roses.
Brown, wet roses.
Aw - that sounds lovely!
I wish I knew a bit more about mushrooms. I'm always describing them like "the cute orange ones" or "you know, the ones that grow on trees that you can draw on."

balthasar_s wrote:
ggh wrote:Hmmm, My inner picture of TLF has shifted a bit.
Was it a right or left shift?
Spoiler:
Also, you already had a picture? Where did you get it? :)
From me of course! :) I'm a romantic, so when TLF was so quick to reply, I imagined her waiting by her computer for a message from you:
Spoiler:
Then, when she was confused about the eye windows, I started to think that maybe she looked more like:
Spoiler:
There, some people were standing and looking. In the middle there were 2 people reenacting something. I walked closer and I realised that these are two people I know from school and they're reenacting a scene from my previous dream that night.
I thought "cool, but I have to go back.".
That's a pretty treeish dream all around, but my favourite bit is where it goes meta there. :D

I had an OTTish dream a while back, but I forgot most of the details. There was like a big block party. I think it was in a German city, with big dorm-style buildings, one of which I think balthasar lived in. My impression was that there were a bunch of OTTers in attendance and I was trying to wind my way through the crowds and techno to see who I could meet. I'm pretty sure svenman and Sustainabilizer were there too.

Eternal Density wrote:I also bought a new bag for my lapleopard as I was borrowing one from StormAngel for a slightly more seaish lapleopard (actually, I was borrowing it back from him as it is actually mine but I never used it because my old lapleopard is even more seaish than the bag) and anyhow while the new lapleopard does fit in the bag alright, the redundant parts of the bag make it a bit of a squeeze to go inside my carry bag - and i prefer to have my laptop inside a bag of its own even when inside another seaish bag because redundancy is molpish - especially when trying to fit many other things in the bag such as glasses (which are made of plastic, not sand, lol), wallet, my folder of medical papers, chocolate, and briefly my leopad but then I left it out of the bag because I was using it to play audiobooks while driving.
Bags: 9, puns: 0. Surely that sets some kind of needle-pulled record for a sentence....

addams wrote:I have a date with a very handsome man.

What should I wear??
Spoiler:
A Hospital Gown that opens in the back?
It's a Classic Timeless Look.
:azule:

That was a beautiful moon last night. As we drove to the beach to enjoy a fire with friends, the Little Wonder watched "Friend Moon" out her window and was sure that it was "coming with us."

More later....

Ooh - preview edit: Yay! It's Sustainabilizer!
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:27 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:Treeish related dream.

Thursdip I got the Q04B Rosetta tile, and instead of molpying down that night, continued until I had one of each tile for my avatar picture. Fridip night my dreams all had Cuegan and castle squares wandering through them
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:BTW, bsta-000006.png yields 404.
That's because bsta 6 is a gif, not png
There is an interface that makes it easy for bots and other stuff to see which frame is what,
http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/i/6 The format is derived from http headers.

If you go to http://1190.bicyclesonthemoon.info/bsta/i/42 you will notice that the bstatexts are written in bbcode but with a different set of tags.

I write the texts in files which contain the texts of multiple frames. Here is the spoilerfree part of the first file:

0> BSTA

There is a guy standing in his room.
Today, the 23rd of June is finally the day when ...

1> Wait, ...

This beginning seems very familar to you.
As if you saw it already.

In fact, you can't not notice the similarity to an... otherthing. How was it called?

2> Whatever

But you are correct. The similarity exists and can't be avoided.

Actually, the many similarities between that otherthing and some of the BOTM stuff (what's a botm?) is the very reason the idea for the thing you're looking at now happened at all.

3> ...

Also, this format is just perfect for this story-shaped-thing.
Let's explore it and see what happens.

4> This guy, however...

This guy is still standing in his room and is getting a little bored by the lack of any happenings.

Don't worry, dear bored guy. We'll get back to you!

5> Get back to the guy

So, the guy is standing in his room.

Today, the 23rd of June 2011 is the day of his birthday.

Today is also the day when his name will be finally revealed.

What will the name be?

6> Enter name

"b". Ok, a good start. Although we usually start names with uppercase letters.
This is going to be autoformatted anyway, I think.
Please continue typing.

7> Continue entering name

NOPE!

He won't have this.
He does not have time for this stupidity.

He already knows his name very well and he does not need you to tell it.

8> But

But how are we going to call him now?

Well, you managed to enter "b" so we can stick to that.
Or we can just continue calling him "that guy".

9> ???

You don't think that's a good idea.

You also wonder if this will continue getting meta.

He doesn't know what you mean.

10> ???

You also wonder if this is at least going to be RELATED.
He doesn't know either.
How could he possibly know?

11> ???

You're getting confused by all this.

Better get used to this since you're going to be this guy really soon.
Actually, you start being him right now!

12> B the guy

You're being the guy now.

This guy is what you'll be being in the predictable future.

This could be problematic, without even knowing his full name or anything else about him.

But this also gives you a whole lot of new possibilities.
There's so many things you could do.

What will you do?

13> Retrieve arms

You have to be more specific.
Where do you want to retrieve the arms from? (hint: they're on the desk)

14> Quickly retrieve arms from desk

You got your ARM chips which you had on your desk. You're not sure why.
Ok, what now?

15> Put ARMs into your inventory or however it's called

The closest thing to an inventory you have are your pockets. Unfortunately, they're quite full already.

16> Explore pockets

You check what's inside your pockets.
You have:
A screwdriver, a wallet, a tram ticket, some coins, another screwdriver, a keychain, a pencil, a wrench and a telephone.

They all are important things. You don't want to get rid of any of them.

17> Luckily,

Luckily, there is a smaller pocket in your regular pocket.

It's probably the place for holding these fancy pocket clocks.

You don't have a pocket clock.

18> Place ARMs inside clockpocket

You insert your ARMs into your clockpocket. You're still not sure why you wanted to take them.
Also, having non-clocky things in a clockpocket feels kind of... wrong.

19> Insert a clock into clockpocket.

You don't have any pocketable clocks at hand. But you have an RTC chip. You think it's clocky enough for you.

20> Insert RTC into clockpocket

You insert the RTC into your clockpocket.

BIG SUCCESS!

Congratulations, you successfully completed your first task as the new guy. He would be so proud of you (if he wasn't busy being you right now).

What next?

21> Examine room

You're standing in your room.
You're living here for 4 years already.
Normally, the room doesn't look like this.
There's a lot of stuff lying randomly on the floor and desk.
(But not now. Today you have everything in boxes. You wanted a clean room on your birthday.)
This stuff consists mainly of bicycle parts and electronic pieces.
On and under the desk are some computers.
That's all very fitting since in the recent times you're interested in bicycling, electronics and old computers..
There are things hanging on the wall.

22> Examine things on the wall

On the wall you find a clock, some drawings and a calendar.
The clock doesn't work.

23> Remove broken clock from wall

You remove the destroyed clock from the wall. Only to uncover a redundant clock hanging behind it. It doesn't work either.
But, at least, it won't show you the wrong time.

24> Insert broken clock into clockpocket

No, that's not going to work.

25> Examine desk

You look at your desk.
the desk is much cleaner than usual.
The only things on it are some computers, a book, a soldering gun and some CDs.

26> Examine CDs

These are the "SKALNIACY ADVENTURES" CDs!

27> ...

SKALNIACY ADVENTURES is the new computer game series known for weird gameplay and incomplete translation.
Even the title.

28> ...

These are games about two creatures made of stone, the rivalry between them and various shenanigans.

29> ...

Some people think these games are extremely funny, others think they're just stupid.
You tried the games and you liked it very much.

30> ...

But the multiplayer mode is what these games were really made for.
It would be cool to play it with someone else.

31> Consider multiplayer possibilities

You already tried with one of your friends.
He didn't want. He thinks it's just a waste of time.

32> Continue considering

You think his sister might like this game.
But she will not like the incomplete translation.
She doesn't feel comfortable with foreign language.

33> Continue continuing considering

The same will be a problem for your other friend from the internet. Only that for her the other of the two languages would be the problematic one.
The same is true for your other other friend.

34> Ignore the language

You think you could try anyway.
The text is not that important, after all.
Especially in the first part, "Wybuchy i Eksplozje".
You can have fun without all those writings.

35> Contact your friends

You turn on your computer in order to use the communication software.

36> ...

You use the program "Coincidence". It's kind of similar to IRC but not completely.

You recently ported it and now it works on your Amiga 500 (but without the GUI).
It was surprisingly easy. You only had to make changes in one file: "tcpip.c".
And this you didn't do by yourself. You used an example.
Someone did a good job making it portable.

37> ...

It's not a very popular application. Most of the time, the only people you can see online are your friends who got this program from you. And two people who were using it before who are also your friends now.
At least on the 80236 server which is the only Coincidence server you know about.

38> ...

It's not posssible to find any information about Coincidence on the Internet.
You got the program on a CD which was found by Uncle Scienceman (he's not your uncle).

39> Start the program

It works.

40> Connect to server and see who is online

There are two people online: artificialPerpendicularity (AP) and theLuckyFinder (TLF).
Who will you try to contact first?

41> Contact TLF

You start a private chat with your friend known as theLuckyFinder.
(You don't know her actual name. She didn't tell you.)
She answers immediately.

42> Continue conversation

[fq=B]You started a private chat with theLuckyFinder (TLF).
B: Hi
TLF: Oh, hi,
TLF: What's new? Any thing intrestening?
B: Not really, except that I'm waiting for my new glasses. But that's not why I'm writing now.
TLF: No, please tell.
TLF: Why you yould wait for new glasses?
B: They became a little too small for me.
TLF: Are drinking more these days?
B: No, the other kind of glasses.
TLF: You mean, the eye windows?
TLF: Ok, I understand now.
TLF: Also, what is the your original reason?
B: I wanted to ask.
B: Would you be interested in playing a game?[/fq]
That wasn't a good decision, to use this computer. You have to send the game file from the CD. How will you do it on a computer which doesn't have a CD drive and is connected to the network with a RS232 cable?

I have a perl script that reads the file and generates the files for each frame. The file for 42 looks like this:

content-type: image/gif
ongtime: 1486796401
title: Continue conversation
timer: 36
ext: gif

[fq]You started a private chat with theLuckyFinder (TLF).
[ni]B: Hi[/ni]
[br]TLF: Oh, hi,[/br]
[br]TLF: What's new? Any thing intrestening?[/br]
[ni]B: Not really, except that I'm waiting for my new glasses. But that's not why I'm writing now.[/ni]
[br]TLF: No, please tell.[/br]
[br]TLF: Why you yould wait for new glasses?[/br]
[ni]B: They became a little too small for me.[/ni]
[br]TLF: Are drinking more these days?[/br]
[ni]B: No, the other kind of glasses.[/ni]
[br]TLF: You mean, the eye windows?[/br]
[br]TLF: Ok, I understand now.[/br]
[br]TLF: Also, what is the your original reason?[/br]
[ni]B: I wanted to ask.[/ni]
[ni]B: Would you be interested in playing a game?[/ni][/fq]
That wasn't a good decision, to use this computer. You have to send the game file from the CD. How will you do it on a computer which doesn't have a CD drive and is connect
ed to the network with a RS232 cable?
As you can see the bsta text bot added tags inside the [fq] tag so that I didn't have to add them manually.
The fields "ongtime" and "timer" were added by the ong bot.
The files for frames which are pngs only have the "title" field generated.
Any parameter not specifed in a frame's file is taken from the default file:

ext: png
content-type: image/png
width: 580
height: 410

ggh wrote:Then, when she was confused about the eye windows, I started to think that maybe she looked more like:

When in Bochum, we went to Cologne on Saturday. When returning from there, I was sitting with lmjb1964 and addams in the train.
I told them about something I have seen when going to Bochum from Poland:
It was evening the sun was low. The bottom of the sky became very orange. At one point when looking through the train window I saw the sun to the left of a tall chimney with steam or maybe smoke coming out of it. Just right of the steam there was a triangular area of the sky where the steam blocked the sunlight. that part of the sky was blue! It was such a beautiful view that I just kept looking at it. When I took out the camera to take a picture it was too late.
When I was telling addams and lmjb1964 about this I forgot the English word "chimney'. I just couldn't remember the word.
When I'm writing on the OTT I can always find the translations for the things that I don't know or don't remember how to say in English.
But when talking in real time there is no such possibility. So I told them something like: "you know, the big pole with smoke".
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:32 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:That wasn't a good decision, to use this computer. You have to send the game file from the CD. How will you do it on a computer which doesn't have a CD drive and is connected to the network with a RS232 cable?

No, it wasn't.
A standard CD-ROM can hold over 700 MB of data, RS-232 cables transmit only 20 kilobits per second.
It will take three days to send the game even if you are able to find a portable cd drive for your computer.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time for Another Singpost

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:14 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:
The OTTsford Molpish Dictionary wrote:blitz : v. 1. To read the entire OTT. (In early usage capitalised Blitz)

Blitzing is named after Blitzgirl who in turn named herself after The Flash, or Roter Blitz in German (rot = red (adj.), Blitz = flash (noun)).

BlitzGirl wrote:I chose the username "Blitz" because it was a character in one of the stories I'd been writing (and you're right, the name Blitz for the character was picked for the German meaning of the word, "lightning").

I'd actually chosen it as a username in other fora on the internet, too. But "Blitz" was taken here already, so I added "Girl" to the end, as I will sometimes do since Blitz is usually assumed to be a masculine name (not surprising, as the word is gendered "male" in German and even the character I named Blitz in my story was male).
BlitzGirl wrote:As for my username, "Blitz" was actually a character in a sequence of dystopian sci-fi stories I wrote about 10 yips ago, and I use it as a forum handle here and there. But it was already taken by the time I registered here, so I added "Girl" to the end, because people tend to erroneously assume that the username is male (particularly in male-dominated fora). It doesn't bug me too much, but it looks a little prescient in light of the gender-neutral pronouns OTOTT* discussion.
Last edited by balthasar_s on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:39 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Blitzing is named after Blitzgirl who in turn named herself after The Flash.

BlitzGirl wrote:As for my username, "Blitz" was actually a character in a sequence of dystopian sci-fi stories I wrote about 10 yips ago.

So what you're saying is...
Geoff Johns is BlitzGirl's pen name?!
Wait For It.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:11 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Thursdip I got the Q04B Rosetta tile, and instead of molpying down that night, continued until I had one of each tile for my avatar picture. Fridip night my dreams all had Cuegan and castle squares wandering through them

Every night I see a series of Cueballs getting in my way...

Spoiler: