1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:55 pm UTC

Happy 210e2 posts, everyone!

ETA:
Users browsing this forum: […] and 127 guests
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 am UTC

Here are some replies, in no particular order, and missing many other molpish things I should have commented on:

Many congratulations, Zooman! I admit, I was perplexed by the beesnake-production-skycircle, so I'm glad someone translated if for me. WIshing you and yours much molpishness. May your life together be as sweet as beenake product. :)

Eternal Density wrote:Happy Valentine's Day / 2 yips since OtterKarneval!!
Remember the SenfMuseum?

How could I forget? In fact, just the other day, something reminded me of that whole episode, and I was once again marveling at the irony of it.
Spoiler:
For those who weren't there, we had traveled miles by railcastle to visit a chocolate museum, but when we got there, it was closed. We were commenting on the m*stard and someone, perhaps HES, said, "There should be a m*stard museum." Then we turned around, and literally across the street was a m*strd museum. Maybe we caused it to materialize, I'm not sure.

Gingercat wrote:
ucim wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah; he's yet to brew a Potion of Frost Giant Strength
Skimming through the OTT in a raptorish reketchup, I came across this and read it as a "Proton of Froth Giant Strength". Is this the homeopathic version of quantum mechanics?

That sounds like an upgraded Beer Golem.

That page made me :azule:. Now I want to find out more about kol.

taixzo wrote:
ggh wrote:I had an OTTish dream a while back, but I forgot most of the details. There was like a big block party. I think it was in a German city, with big dorm-style buildings, one of which I think balthasar lived in. My impression was that there were a bunch of OTTers in attendance and I was trying to wind my way through the crowds and techno to see who I could meet. I'm pretty sure svenman and Sustainabilizer were there too.

That sounds like the OTTcon in Bochum. It was in a German city with big dorm-style buildings; although Balthasar did not live there he was staying there during the conference. There was a big block party festival, although it was unrelated to the conference itself; I don't remember what it was for, but there were a lot of people in unusual costumes. There were a bunch of OTTers in attendance, two of which were indeed svenman and Sustainabilizer.

Yes, it sounds eerily like OTTerCon. Where you there on some astral plane, ggh?

Rakhal wrote:Another 11 hours on an aircastle has come to an end and I have made it back to my den. Sadly assorted mustard, some of it zanclean, foiled plans to meet with lmjb1964, but hopefully there will be another time. Now I have to placate my meowlpy....

--Rakhal

Meowlpy placation is very important. Yes, there will be another time (and maybe another TIme?)

HES wrote:Randamnit, I'll miss the eclipse by about a wip. I'll still be in the States, but the wrong corner.

Which reminds me, I'll be hopping over the pond in August to drive from one sea to the other. Look out for a pm if the ottermap puts you near my path.

I am at one of the seas1. and assuming no m*stard, will happily drive somewhere to meet you. Although from August 16-22 I'll be near macraw83, in Cooperstown.

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote: but then I just used a Sharpie marker to draw a ring around the bit and drilled to that. Seemed to work.

A piece of tape can work for that also.

Brilliant! I will remember that the next time I lose the set screw, which for me seems quite likely. :(

mikrit wrote:Well, I fell down in the basement again, but I want to wish my dear friends in the OTT a happy Valentine's day. I am a bit late in my own time zone, but I figure it's still Feb. 14 in some parts of the world. Calendars are just a social construction anyway, right?
Life isn't too bad here, we have finally got some decorative snow in Gothenburg, but not enough to stop traffic. My horrible carpenter from Hell has threatened to sue me, so I may need that file-in-a-cake that Laura Mae and I have passed back and forth in previous NPs. Actually, I am more annoyed than worried.
I have become addicted to reading Huffington Post online.
Mom is surprisingly healthy, and my twin nieces have graduated from law school (that's probably not the correct English terminology).
Best wishes, everymolpy!

Hi, mikrit! Sorry for the evil carpenter, but happy for the molpish news.

Jose, thank you for summoning Febrion! I was just thinking about you recently, Febrion. So glad you stopped by, and with footnotes!

ucim wrote:
karhell wrote:
GnomeAnne wrote:[...]the Pubic Road.
I'm... not sure I want to know...
Looks like it was a pretty hairy situation there.

...I owe you a punsaw,

ucim wrote:
ggh wrote:Heretics might call it a Cereal-Condiment Bare-Bottom.
If you're living on the bottom of the world, might you call it a Cereal-Condiment topfree? Or are those just little birds?

I'm not getting this at all. Am I really really slow?

Loved the castle photos and the redundakitty, svenman!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

HES

Postby HES » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:How could I forget? In fact, just the other day, something reminded me of that whole episode, and I was once again marveling at the irony of it.
Spoiler:
For those who weren't there, we had traveled miles by railcastle to visit a chocolate museum, but when we got there, it was closed. We were commenting on the m*stard and someone, perhaps HES, said, "There should be a m*stard museum." Then we turned around, and literally across the street was a m*strd museum. Maybe we caused it to materialize, I'm not sure.

I'm not sure it was me who said it, but that was quite a moment!

lmjb1964 wrote:I am at one of the seas1. and assuming no m*stard, will happily drive somewhere to meet you.

You won't have to go far, I'm passing right through Junebugville. :D
He/Him/His Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:52 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:...I owe you a punsaw,
Treeish! Who shoud I use it on?

lmjb1964 wrote:I'm not getting [If you're living on the bottom of the world, might you call it a Cereal-Condiment topfree? Or are those just little birds?] at all.
Cereal-condiment comes from bees and is sometimes used on pancakes. "Mooning" is showing one's bare bottom to somebody else. Some people like to let their bare top show. If you're at the bottom of the world, is the bottom a top? Tits are little birds. It's a topsy turvy world we live in, isn't it?
lmjb1964 wrote:Am I really really slow?
Not at all. You're just using Microsoft Windows. :)

Now.... about that punsaw....

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:44 am UTC

Aaaa - I see stuff that makes me happy, but I still can't ketchup! I am like 3 NP ago now. :(

But I can ONG. :)

Send the game

B: Ok, it looks like you have a linux on an emulated computer. I'll send you the file.
You sent the file /media/cdrom0/gnulinux32/SKADV_WIE_i386.tar.gz
B: I hope it works.
TLF: Where do I find the file?
B: In the GUI: Extra -> Show downloaded files.
TLF: I see it. There is also another file "ogloc.ctif.txt".
B: Ok, unpack my file.
TLF: Unpack?
TLF: Nevermind, done.
B: There should be a file "SKADV1".
B: That's the game.
TLF: Yes I see it.
theLuckyFinder disconnected (timeout).

Oops.
You wonder what happened.
Has the game destroyed her computer?
It would be bad if the game did that.
Will she come back?

TLF: I see it. There is also another file "ogloc.ctif.txt".

Mustard just got real.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:56 am UTC

ggh wrote:Mustard just got real.

That's because it involves OG Loc.

Or as a friend and I like to call him, in reference to the bugs [Oglops] in Final Fantasy 9, "Ogloc".
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:32 am UTC

HES wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:How could I forget? In fact, just the other day, something reminded me of that whole episode, and I was once again marveling at the irony of it.
Spoiler:

I'm not sure it was me who said it, but that was quite a moment!

lmjb1964 wrote:I am at one of the seas1. and assuming no m*stard, will happily drive somewhere to meet you.

You won't have to go far, I'm passing right through Junebugville. :D

Yay! But hopefully not when I'm on the other side of the country. :(

I finally blitzed BSTA. Maybe the discussions analyzing it will make a little more sense. Maybe.

I had an adventure similar to the one Addams had. I was going to a concert "over the hill," that is, over the Santa Cruz Mountains. Normally this trip would take 35-40 minutes, but because of the parts of the mountain that landed on the road over the hill, It's down to two lanes and gets very backed up. It can take 1.5 hours or more. Waze helped me avoid the traffic by sending me on a very winding road, with hairpin turns and places where the road was one lane because part of the other lane had washed away. :shock: I did finally get where I was going, but it was a little more excitement than I wanted.

Speaking of Addams, she sent me a gift. Actually, several gifts in one box. I kept finding more things. It was cool. One of the things was a large glass hourglass. She said it was another way to look at Time. Thank you, Addams.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:40 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Happy Valentine's Day / 2 yips since OtterKarneval!!
Remember the SenfMuseum?

How could I forget? In fact, just the other day, something reminded me of that whole episode, and I was once again marveling at the irony of it.
Spoiler:
I remember this story. Really wish I could have been there! [insert obligatory "when is OTTcon2: Electric Bagaloo" question here]

lmjb1964 wrote:
Gingercat wrote:That sounds like an upgraded Beer Golem.

KoL is a satirical browser-based RPG. It makes a lot of puns and jokes about things from all types of gaming, but especially the RPG genre and the tropes that such games tend to follow. If you are looking for something to spend a few minutes on every few nopix that'll make you :azule:, and have any experience playing RPGs, I'd certainly recommend checking it out.

lmjb1964 wrote:
HES wrote:Randamnit, I'll miss the eclipse by about a wip. I'll still be in the States, but the wrong corner.

Which reminds me, I'll be hopping over the pond in August to drive from one sea to the other. Look out for a pm if the ottermap puts you near my path.

I am at one of the seas1. and assuming no m*stard, will happily drive somewhere to meet you. Although from August 16-22 I'll be near macraw83, in Cooperstown.
Ooh, treeish! My wife and I have been talking about going to Cooperstown ever since she moved up here, so that would be a perfect opportunity to swing out that way (unless we'd be intruding on a personal getaway of any sort, in which case "let us know what you liked most in Cooperstown and we'll be sure to check it out when we make it there"). Hopefully macrawville will still be near Cooperstown at that point.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

addams wrote:
mikrit wrote:Mom is surprisingly healthy, and my twin nieces have graduated from law school (that's probably not the correct English terminology).
That sentence looks perfect.
It is all Happy-Happy/Joy-Joy.

Please, come back and tell us more.
Did you see svenman's French/German Castles?

Hi, Zooman and addams!
I haven't seen the castles yet. In November, I resolved to ketch up the last year of the thread, but I got tired in the June NPs. I guess I should just skip to the present, but when I try, I often find the discussion hard to follow. There must be some ideal number of NPs before the present where I should jump in, but it's difficult to find.

What more can I tell you? Well, on Saturday, we will celebrate my nieces, along with their mother - my sister - whose birthday is on Sunday. Yay! Family party!

This evening, I am home alone. The schools have a break this week, and Wife and Medium-sized Daughter is in the cottage for a few days, while Big Daughter stays overnight in something that Google Translate says is a short-term home. That doesn't sound right, but close enough, perhaps. It is very relaxing sitting alone in the sofa and watching mediocre TV. There are some chores I should do, though, but maybe I can ketch up some NPs first...
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:45 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:In November, I resolved to ketch up the last year of the thread, but I got tired in the June NPs. I guess I should just skip to the present, but when I try, I often find the discussion hard to follow. There must be some ideal number of NPs before the present where I should jump in, but it's difficult to find.

When I abandoned my plan to read the entirety of the thread before joining in the conversion, it took around six weeks of daily ketchup in the present before I understood most of what was going on.
macraw83 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Gingercat wrote:That sounds like an upgraded Beer Golem.

KoL is a satirical browser-based RPG. It makes a lot of puns and jokes about things from all types of gaming, but especially the RPG genre and the tropes that such games tend to follow. If you are looking for something to spend a few minutes on every few nopix that'll make you :azule:, and have any experience playing RPGs, I'd certainly recommend checking it out.
KoL looks entertaining, but I'll have to save it for the weekend, I tend to spend far too much Time on things like that if I am not careful.
Eternal Density wrote:
ttscp wrote:H Hundredth postR
P Profane: secular, not scacred. Showing disrespect for sacred objects or conceptsO
M Mildly juvenile profanityP, juvenile mild profanityP
O Only my paraphrase, actual definition here
R Randall is only human, you know.M
I rearranged that to spell HPMOR because reasons.

I only just realised why this was done.
Wait For It.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:48 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:I haven't seen the castles yet. In November, I resolved to ketch up the last year of the thread, but I got tired in the June NPs. I guess I should just skip to the present, but when I try, I often find the discussion hard to follow. There must be some ideal number of NPs before the present where I should jump in, but it's difficult to find.

I've often wondered that too. I usually just jump into the present, and maybe go back a page or two to get the gist of any current discussions. You could blitz bsta, that might help.

Gingercat wrote:Clickbait title: "Doctors Can't Believe It: Laura and addams Continue To Improve (Thanks To This One Weird Trick)"

(It's called: "Keep breathing". Try it, prove me wrong.)

;)

I knew there was something else that made me :azule: :D

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

addams

Postby addams » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

Ooh, treeish! My wife and I have been talking about going to Cooperstown ever since she moved up here, so that would be a perfect opportunity to swing out that way (unless we'd be intruding on a personal getaway of any sort, in which case "let us know what you liked most in Cooperstown and we'll be sure to check it out when we make it there"). Hopefully macrawville will still be near Cooperstown at that point.
Oh! Oh! How Wonderfully Exciting!
There will be a Mass OTTer Meet=Up in CoopersTown!

I am looking forward to living vicariously through one of the All Time Great Meet-Ups.

Please, Will you?
Please, Won't you?

Take photos to share with us.
Take a break from all the fun;

To, Please, Post the best Jokes,
The very best One-Liners and the
Silliest Communication BreakDowns.

I can hardly Wait!
Yet; We are Experts at Waiting.
Spoiler:
Even, me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:39 pm UTC

Hi mikrit! Suddenly I find myself wondering what Google Translate would call a "short-term home".

GnomeAnne wrote:KoL looks entertaining, but I'll have to save it for the weekend, I tend to spend far too much Time on things like that if I am not careful.
Probably a good idea. I suppose the early stages are especially susceptible to Time-sucks.

GnomeAnne wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
ttscp wrote:H Hundredth postR
P Profane: secular, not scacred. Showing disrespect for sacred objects or conceptsO
M Mildly juvenile profanityP, juvenile mild profanityP
O Only my paraphrase, actual definition here
R Randall is only human, you know.M
I rearranged that to spell HPMOR because reasons.

I only just realised why this was done.
I find myself wondering if I ever knew in the way-before-when, as in the Present I have no idea. It was a different Time, to be sure.

lmjb1964 wrote:
mikrit wrote:I haven't seen the castles yet. In November, I resolved to ketch up the last year of the thread, but I got tired in the June NPs. I guess I should just skip to the present, but when I try, I often find the discussion hard to follow. There must be some ideal number of NPs before the present where I should jump in, but it's difficult to find.

I've often wondered that too. I usually just jump into the present, and maybe go back a page or two to get the gist of any current discussions. You could blitz bsta, that might help.
Seconded, except I think you might need to go more than just a couple NP to really get a good feel for the Present state of things. I was going to suggest going back and reading the whole story of how we started bsta, but I got back to NP2530 and was still finding things (2words) that led to things (Coincidence) that eventually led to bsta. And also there's a good bit of D&D talk recently too, though that's mostly moved to the dnd forum at the CM homepage. Not entirely sure what the right answer is.

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

Added link to original quote.
macraw83 wrote:
I find myself wondering if I ever knew in the way-before-when, as in the Present I have no idea. It was a different Time, to be sure.
When I googled HPMOR I thought "Meh, Harry Potter fan-fic. Not interesting." And moved on
Having since been convinced to read it by someone else, I think you would remember if you knew what it was.
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1115

Postby mscha » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

RONGDOVE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:HELLO, I'M AMTOO. BASICALLY, RUN!

-- posted by randompixbot

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:Hi mikrit! Suddenly I find myself wondering what Google Translate would call a "short-term home".

Well, all right. That's a word-for-word translation. "Korttidshem". Short-time home.

Let's call it a boarding-house for children and young adults with disabilities. It's managed and paid for by the municipality. Five or six guests can stay overnight or over a weekend, with several highly qualified staff. (Can one say "several staff"? A gaggle of personnel, then.) Big Daughter loves the place, fortunately. She can stay there due to her autism and ADHD.
Hooray for high taxes and a welfare state!
By the way, the place is called Älgen, meaning "the moose". I suppose that's a rather Swedish kind of name.

Thanks, y'all, for ketch up advice! I'll try something like that, real soon now.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:44 pm UTC

A moose once bit my sister.

No realli!

:D

Glad you found a good place for your daughter.

I must check out HPMOR. It looks pretty interesting.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ggh

Re: 1190: BSTA 46

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 am UTC

Wait for it and see what happens

theLuckyFinder (TLF) started a private chat with you.
TLF: Hi again

Ok, she's back.
It's time to start the game, so that she can connect to you.
Also, you wonder what happened.

That's no lie. I do wonder what happened.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

to ensure extra $REDUNDAN$cy. To operate the thrice-tripled controls Mrorl and Balthacarius needed extra hands, which they manufactured for the occasion, and an associate bOTTifactor, in which role they employed Mrorl's senior helper Timrlorme.
  But the dragons our heroes were tracking that dip reacted strangely, to say the least. Once the great winged molptiles were triangulated and brought within range, all were expecting a traditional hunt, with much howling and thrashing at rock, fire and brimstone, and ensuing landslides to shake the earth, much cunning and quick-footed dodgery, the requisite hail of arrows, and a Timelessly unsurpassed battle of riddles, cutting questions and rapier wit. These dragons were clearly mechanical,

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

ggh

Re: 1190: A splatter of random ketchup

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:21 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:A moose once bit my sister.
No. Really!??!!
How did that happen?

HES wrote:Which reminds me, I'll be hopping over the pond in August to drive from one sea to the other. Look out for a pm if the ottermap puts you near my path.
Which route are you taking? I'd like to put in a plug for South Dakota. South Dakota is awesomeful. :)

Eternal Density wrote:Camping:
Spoiler:
We seem to camp quite often, maybe every couple of years, sometimes more than that. Some of my family have already camped one night this year, but I was among those who didn't because while I do like cycling I'm not interested in cycling up Mount Kosciusco (the highest point in Australia, though you have to walk the last stage for conservation reasons) carrying camping gear just to see the sun rise particularly early for Australia Day.

I'm told we're all going camping next month, tacked on to the end of a trip to see some family and stay in their friends' beach house or something like that for a week. I don't remember all the details but I don't really need them. All I need to know is that I'm told I'm going :P I'm sure it'll be great and all but it does irk me slightly to be told when and were my vacations are :P But now I have this molpish lapleopard so I'll be able to do plenty of writing while I'm away.
Spoiler:
Yeah, that would make me feel unmolpish too. The togetherness can be a beautiful thing, but the lack of freedom is a real bummer. But then, it's maybe also one of those be-careful-what-you-wish-for situations, where you'll get the independence and enjoy it, but then miss what you had. I don't know. I'm worried about this from the other side too, because I think, being a woman of very little wisdom or horse sense, I will not strike a very good balance for the Little Wonder. I'm sorry, I have no valuable suggestions. I can only hear you.
Eternal Density wrote:Speaking of writing, I reworked the opening paragraphs of the prologue. It goes something like this:

Spoiler:
Forrester's Crossing was a town bustling with activity. Even out on the bottom end of Cherry Lane, Robert J. Wilison could clearly hear the comfortable clamour of every passing second. The flow of time was marked by the sawing of a carpenter as he finished up the day's final project, the incessant background rattle of chains around geared wheels,, and the ticking of his pocket-watch. These were occasionally punctuated by a distant shout, the knocking of expanding or contracting metal, or the hissing whisper of escaping steam. Five o'clock drew steadily nearer, at which point his patrol mates would be late. That would be unacceptable.

Wilison was not an impatient man, but he did expect punctuality for any task of such vital importance as patrolling the outskirts of the town. It was no mere formality, as the fall of Nearton's Bend five months ago had dramatically proven. Wilison would do his utmost to protect his hometown and his family, and he expected no less from the other men in his patrol of three. That included arriving at the meeting point on time, as a bare minimum. He firmly believed that not a single minute of precious daylight should be wasted.

Today, Wilison had happened to be ready for his patrol a few minutes early, as he'd completed his business in the general store sooner than anticipated. While he could have filled the extra time browsing the store, the shop idle assistants were chattering loudly. He hated unnecessary noise almost as much as he hated being made to wait, which was very much indeed. As a farmer, he valued the daylight even more than most honest men. Earning greater hatred from Wilison would require a person to do something extreme, such as endanger his family, question the holy writings or dictates of the clerics, or fall to evil and betray humanity for power - all of which were much the same thing.

The crunch of leather boots on the reddish gravel announced the arrival of Tomas Friche even before the man rounded the corner of the milliner's shop. To Wilison's disappointment, he was alone.

“Good evening to you, Friche. Where is Shenks?” Wilison asked once Friche was within conversational range. “I thought he was working with you in the railway warehouse today, no?” Friche was a refugee from Nearton's Bend, and was generally more responsible than Shenks.
Spoiler:
I was putting off commenting, because I'm struggling with this. I think if I hadn't already been reading your story from the beginning, I'd like it more. That not quite what I want to say, because I do like it, but I like it less than the opening you'd already written, and so, insofar as it displaces that introduction, I've got reservations. Mustard, that sounds so negative, but it's just that I've been loving the story as you've been telling it, and this messes with my sense of story-arc temporal integrity or something. Funny: now I'm on the other side - it's like balthasar was telling me: what has happened will not unhappen. This addition makes me nervous that the way you introduced me to this story is being unhappened.

It's worth noting here that I've read a few things before and after rewrites, and I pretty much always struggle with it. I can never shift my view entirely to the new storyline.

In this case, I think that what I'm not into is the way this society is now being introduced by an unsympathetic character. It's entirely possible though, that I still wouldn't be into the change even if it was in the reverse direction, because I may just be anti-change. So, take me with all the grains of salt in a dried-up Mediterranean Basin. Also, consider that maybe I haven't really absorbed the subtle distinction between changing Chapter 1 and pushing everything back a chapter, and adding a prologue.

Having said all that, and possibly predictably, I enjoyed the new information: the sounds of a metal-working culture.

lmjb1964 wrote:
taixzo wrote:That sounds like the OTTcon in Bochum. It was in a German city with big dorm-style buildings; although Balthasar did not live there he was staying there during the conference. There was a big block party festival, although it was unrelated to the conference itself; I don't remember what it was for, but there were a lot of people in unusual costumes. There were a bunch of OTTers in attendance, two of which were indeed svenman and Sustainabilizer.

Yes, it sounds eerily like OTTerCon. Where you there on some astral plane, ggh?
Ooh - I'd like to think so. I'm generally not dimensionally exciting (except for the nail polish incident - and most would argue that wasn't very exciting either) but it's so hard to meet most of you in the flesh, that growing into another level would be a welcome development.

GnomeAnne wrote:GLR keeps referencing star dew valley, but I didn't know what it is. Fortunately I found a very amusing overview: (unfortunately it includes some unmolpish words).
Heh, I think that's told me all I need to know about Stardew Valley. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:18 am UTC

macraw83 wrote:I was going to suggest going back and reading the whole story of how we started bsta, but I got back to NP2530 and was still finding things (2words) that led to things (Coincidence) that eventually led to bsta
The process that resulted in a bsta started on np2490.

balthasar_s wrote:I don't have microprocessors lying all around my desk.
BSTA 14 wrote:You got your ARM chips which you had on your desk. You're not sure why.
Ok, what now?
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ggh

Re: 1190: Another ketchup splatter

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 am UTC

mikrit wrote: What more can I tell you? Well, on Saturday, we will celebrate
Spoiler:
my nieces, along with their mother - my sister - whose birthday is on Sunday. Yay! Family party!

This evening, I am home alone. The schools have a break this week, and Wife and Medium-sized Daughter is in the cottage for a few days, while Big Daughter stays overnight in something that Google Translate says is a short-term home. That doesn't sound right, but close enough, perhaps. It is very relaxing sitting alone in the sofa and watching mediocre TV. There are some chores I should do, though, but maybe I can ketch up some NPs first...
That all sounds awesomeful - enjoy!

balthasar_s wrote:We have seen that Beanies have some optical devices.
So, if they can make such things,
Is it possible for a Beanie to wear glasses?
I'm not sure that I'm reading this question correctly: are you questioning the state of Beanie technology/manufacturing or whether Randallversian stick figures can don glasses? I'm guessing the former, because I'm pretty sure there are bespectacled folk in xkcd, though I'm too lazy to look for an example right now.

Wikipedia suggests that corrective eyeglasses date back to the 13th century and glassworking itself goes back to BC times, so I'm going to go with yes for the Beanies. They seem pretty well-educated, so they'd likely know that glasses would be helpful, and so as long as their tech had gotten as far as AD, they ought to be able to make them.

I'm not even sure they'd have to make them - some might survive. The stuff doesn't go bad as long as nothing is rubbing on it; the Beanies would just have to find them - maybe in some ruins, or a dump. Even if they'd been roughed up a bit, maybe they could be polished back into service.
Spoiler:
This has always disturbed me:
charlie_grumbles wrote:On Setting The Technology Clock Back:
If anything seriously disrupts our current state of technology and sets us back to (say) about 1700, there will likely be no possibility of recovering. We have just used up or dispersed too many of the world's resources. In a bit over 100 years we have used up a huge fraction of the available fossil fuels. In order to build a tool you need a simpler tool, but also access to materials. Some of the important metals are becoming rare. Oil production is falling even now. Yet Cugan are 10000 years in the future. Even without a collapse, the tech world we know may not have been possible to sustain so long (without replenishment of some things from asteroids, say). To sustain a civilization like ours you need access in bulk, but dispersion (using chrome on car bumpers, say) makes it nearly impossible to accumulate enough after a collapse.

The current situation with Cugan is that the Med has been evaporating for about 1000 years. There is no technology at their home site, so we can surmise there is no technology anywhere. The population of the world is likely small (less/no farming tech) and dispersed. Tribal rather than city based.

But paper lasts, so not all knowledge would be lost (most likely). Just the ability to exploit it. Read Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (again). It took me two readings to really grok it.
It's so depressing.
Also it makes me question some of the things that we think of as good and bad. Like garbage dumps.

Working towards a sustainable world, we always hate garbage. But if we do fall short of making this world sustainable, wouldn't a lack of junk be shooting ourselves in the foot? I mean, if society collapses, I'm totally heading to the tip (junkyard) for supplies. Everyone disses plastic for being non-biodegradable, but isn't that kind of awesomeful too in the sense that if we get knocked back to the stone age, at least we won't have to spend our Time learning to be coopers just to move some liquids around?

And building off your rubbish isn't unprecedented. Isn't that what coral are doing? Coral reefs get such good press.... I digress.

Anyways, that Ikea that was always just out of frame... those flash new sofas made out of cardboard are not going to survive, but could an old bunsö provide the Little Bangs Brother with a nice place to sit on the new banks with his fishing pole, daydreaming about how to get a Nintendo working again?

ucim wrote:In those days much of the county was dirt roads, and
Spoiler:
there were no highways of any sort. My cousin had a friend and I rented a car and the three of us drove from Santo Domingo (the capital, where we were) to La Romana, much of the way along the southern coast. I don't remember what color it was (but it was a car with color, unlike cars you get today which are almost all some form of grey). There was almost nobody on the road, which was a one-lane (each direction) paved road, and we stopped here and there, notably we stopped at a restaurant/golf course/something (I don't remember, but it was the only thing for miles) and parked right next to an identical car, license plate off by one (or maybe two), rented by the same company, and it might even have been the same color. Memory is quite faded at this point, but it was remarkable even at the time. We never did find out who was driving it (that might have been fun) but we continued on and bumped into an airport. There was nobody there, so I got on the runway and gunned it. The needle was tipping 100 or so (but it was only kph, so meh). No airplanes came in, and we did not take off.
Speed is all relative, eh? 100kph on a runway when you've been trundling down dirt roads must feel amazing! Sounds like a really dunejumpish trip. :)

svenman wrote:By the way, unless I missed it, it hasn't been mentioned here yet that recently the OTA has published not only one, but two other-non-comics. This seems like a good sign for the return of regular installments.
How embarrassing - I hadn't noticed they had stopped. :oops:
Did I mention before that the Little Wonder's Dad told me he had bought the What-If book? I got the impression that he thought I had probably heard of it, but wasn't sure. This may represent an improvement over his previous understanding of us; he generally refers to the OTT as "that code-breaking website". Or, he may just be messing with me.

Also svenman - you are a machine! Every time I go to the wiki, you've added so much. :awe:
Many times Thanks!
Agatha the Awesomeful

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:43 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:
macraw83 wrote:Hi mikrit! Suddenly I find myself wondering what Google Translate would call a "short-term home".

Well, all right. That's a word-for-word translation. "Korttidshem". Short-time home.

Let's call it a boarding-house for children and young adults with disabilities. It's managed and paid for by the municipality. Five or six guests can stay overnight or over a weekend, with several highly qualified staff. (Can one say "several staff"? A gaggle of personnel, then.) Big Daughter loves the place, fortunately. She can stay there due to her autism and ADHD.
Hooray for high taxes and a welfare state!
By the way, the place is called Älgen, meaning "the moose". I suppose that's a rather Swedish kind of name.
Treeish! My little brother has Asperger's, so something like that may have been a good experience for him. As it is, he's made it to college, but it was pretty difficult on my parents at times and it would have been nice for him to be able to interact with others that share his plight.

balthasar_s wrote:
macraw83 wrote:I was going to suggest going back and reading the whole story of how we started bsta, but I got back to NP2530 and was still finding things (2words) that led to things (Coincidence) that eventually led to bsta
The process that resulted in a bsta started on np2490.
Ah, yes, that was quite some time ago. And also possibly before where mikrit currently is in the thread.

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure that I'm reading this question correctly: are you questioning the state of Beanie technology/manufacturing or whether Randallversian stick figures can don glasses? I'm guessing the former, because I'm pretty sure there are bespectacled folk in xkcd, though I'm too lazy to look for an example right now.

Wikipedia suggests that corrective eyeglasses date back to the 13th century and glassworking itself goes back to BC times, so I'm going to go with yes for the Beanies. They seem pretty well-educated, so they'd likely know that glasses would be helpful, and so as long as their tech had gotten as far as AD, they ought to be able to make them.

I'm not even sure they'd have to make them - some might survive. The stuff doesn't go bad as long as nothing is rubbing on it; the Beanies would just have to find them - maybe in some ruins, or a dump. Even if they'd been roughed up a bit, maybe they could be polished back into service.
If anything seriously disrupts our current state of technology and sets us back to (say) about 1700, there will likely be no possibility of recovering. We have just used up or dispersed too many of the world's resources. In a bit over 100 years we have used up a huge fraction of the available fossil fuels. In order to build a tool you need a simpler tool, but also access to materials. Some of the important metals are becoming rare. Oil production is falling even now. Yet Cugan are 10000 years in the future. Even without a collapse, the tech world we know may not have been possible to sustain so long (without replenishment of some things from asteroids, say). To sustain a civilization like ours you need access in bulk, but dispersion (using chrome on car bumpers, say) makes it nearly impossible to accumulate enough after a collapse.

The current situation with Cugan is that the Med has been evaporating for about 1000 years. There is no technology at their home site, so we can surmise there is no technology anywhere. The population of the world is likely small (less/no farming tech) and dispersed. Tribal rather than city based.

But paper lasts, so not all knowledge would be lost (most likely). Just the ability to exploit it. Read Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (again). It took me two readings to really grok it.
It's so depressing.
Also it makes me question some of the things that we think of as good and bad. Like garbage dumps.

Working towards a sustainable world, we always hate garbage. But if we do fall short of making this world sustainable, wouldn't a lack of junk be shooting ourselves in the foot? I mean, if society collapses, I'm totally heading to the tip (junkyard) for supplies. Everyone disses plastic for being non-biodegradable, but isn't that kind of awesomeful too in the sense that if we get knocked back to the stone age, at least we won't have to spend our Time learning to be coopers just to move some liquids around?

And building off your rubbish isn't unprecedented. Isn't that what coral are doing? Coral reefs get such good press.... I digress.
Anyways, that Ikea that was always just out of frame... those flash new sofas made out of cardboard are not going to survive, but could an old bunsö provide the Little Bangs Brother with a nice place to sit on the new banks with his fishing pole, daydreaming about how to get a Nintendo working again?
The thing about plastic is that it decomposes slowly. There are things that break it down, but they work on much longer time scales. After 1000 years, however, that plastic bottle will be no more. I can't imagine that many products from our time would survive to even see the year 3000, much less 13000.

ggh wrote:Did I mention before that the Little Wonder's Dad told me he had bought the What-If book? I got the impression that he thought I had probably heard of it, but wasn't sure. This may represent an improvement over his previous understanding of us; he generally refers to the OTT as "that code-breaking website". Or, he may just be messing with me.
I mean, he's not wrong. That's one of the many things that happen here, and you're one of the best at it.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 pm UTC

Short and Off Topic:
Spoiler:
Have I ever told you, "Thank You."
I Love my little clearing in The Forest.

I am here, because of you.
Thank You, Time.

Because of you,
I am taking More Time.

Bless Your Little Pea Pickin' Hearts.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 pm UTC

So I wanted to ketchup from at least a few pages back, but that would just take too much 1190, so instead I'm just going to dive right in and pretend I already responded to everyone I wanted to44. I have wanted to though...

Haven't been around much lately, mainly because I've been in a new area at work lately17, without internet access64, and I do most of my browsing at work0.  I've been slowly transitioning back to my old dutiesheh lately, though, so hopefully I'll be able to drop by more...

Anyway, just popped in for a quick60 "hi"-1, so HI!

p.p.s. Been revisiting an old hobby 4 lately
Spoiler:
I gave up the rain
               for you
I gave up the pain
               for you
I gave up my life
               for you
And you gave it back

timeoblig.
MDoes it count if I responded in my head while skimming?13
OPSI'll answer myself, since I want to2, with "no, but get on with it, you're rambling"your
twoWorking on it
you'r'eHad something clever to say here, but rambled my way into forgetting it
20So far, "temporarily" has been about 10 months
KIt's a secure lab, so I can't even being in my MTA
nullDon't tell anyone!
dutyNever grow up
2That's just a rumor!
lowerAnd a footnote or two
eA hobby is something you enjoy doing, but lack the skill to make a living from
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 pm UTC

Febrion wrote:So I wanted to ketchup from at least a few pages back, but that would just take too much 1190...
Happens to me all the 1190 2. So, if I miss something, I didn't really miss it; I enjoyed it (unless I missed it, in which case I wouldn't know that I missed it).

That would mean, of course, that I missed missing it, and if I missed missing, it, I didn't miss it at all.

Which proves whatever point I was trying to make. :)

Anyway, great to see you back, and I hope all the skunkwork you're doing works out molpishly.

Febrion wrote:A hobby is something you enjoy doing, but lack the skill to make a living from
I guess that's all I have are hobbies. :)

And addams, your sunshine is never off topic. Do I have to lead you to the comfy chair?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

It's so depressing.

The thing about plastic is that it decomposes slowly. There are things that break it down, but they work on much longer time scales. After 1000 years, however, that plastic bottle will be no more. I can't imagine that many products from our time would survive to even see the year 3000, much less 13000.
Okay - a bunsö in Cuegan's Time would be silly, but even a few hundred years would be a nice cushion for post-apocalyptic us, no? And if this list is to be believed, the eyeglass lenses, in the right environment, are well within range for the Beanies. We've still got Hellenistic bowls, so that's a good sign.

Whoa. That's an epsilon thought. I just looked around my house, imagining it in a state of abandoned decomposition. Trees have grown up through few-and-far-between hints of floors and walls. Corners of twisted radiators look like a good way to get tetanus. The amplifier will never work again, but it looks at least recognizable embedded in those twisted roots. There are little shards of coloured plastic, but nothing that makes any sense, and some strange, kinda gross, areas where the dirt is made of something... else. My eye catches a glint from a whisky bottle. I start to dig it out. Hey, there's more! The only thing future-me knows about now-me is that I'm a lush. That's not fair!

Febrion wrote:I've been slowly transitioning back to my old dutiesheh lately
Transistors poop?

Anyhow you're back is a good how. :)

- - - - -

In paster things:

addams wrote:On the other side, I met SBN's Mum!
She is delightful! So are her friends.

She has a network of delightful friends. I met Helen.
We visited for hours. We toured her home and garden.
Baobabs, that really makes me smile!
I'm so glad such a adventurous drive had such a great payoff. :)

Sustainabilizer wrote:Right now I'm Blitzing the OTT in Schneckentempo. Does that make me a Schnecker instead of a Blitzer? Sustainaschnecker rather than Sustainablitzer?
I'm pretty sure you're still Sustainablitzer.
You can be Sustainaschnecker too if you want to be. :)

I'm also writing up my RELATED travel tale for last NP's decree, but I'm a torn. A small part is a bit offensive if you're an American. (A bit funny probably if you're not.) I don't want to cut that part out, because it was a small, but binding, part of my experience and (probably mostly) because it makes me chuckle. Can I pre-explain that it's all good-natured ribbing? Americans in NZ tend to say, with great confidence (and often with great volume) that such-and-such would be better if it was only done more like they do it in the US. Also, and possibly because of the let's-sue-everyone thing, Americans seem maybe a bit less able to look after themselves. Kiwis like Americans, but find that a bit of teasing is sometimes in order.
Last edited by ggh on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:40 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:38 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Kiwis like Americans, but a bit of teasing is sometimes in order.
Absolutely. When one sticks their head in the sand, their bottom is vulnerable. :)

Americans like kiwis too - both the fruits and the non-fruits. California especially, as they have the nuts and the flakes also. Not that I'm calling anybody a fruit. Or a nut. Or a flake. (But if you had to choose one, which would it be?)

ggh wrote:The only thing future-me knows about now-me is that I'm a lush.
When future-you finds the bottle, what does she think of the contents? That's how we know whether future-you is also a lush. :)

Jose

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
macraw83 wrote:The thing about plastic is that it decomposes slowly. There are things that break it down, but they work on much longer time scales. After 1000 years, however, that plastic bottle will be no more. I can't imagine that many products from our time would survive to even see the year 3000, much less 13000.
Okay - a bunsö in Cuegan's Time would be silly, but even a few hundred years would be a nice cushion for post-apocalyptic us, no? And if this list is to be believed, the eyeglass lenses, in the right environment, are well within range for the Beanies. We've still got Hellenistic bowls, so that's a good sign.
Some things don't decay, such as clay. Something made of clay will likely remain relatively unscathed unless acted upon by a strong physical force, such as its container (box, cabinet, house) collapsing. Apparently glass is also on that list, which is treeish. I think that gold and platinum would also last a long time (possibly indefinitely), and I'm sure I'm missing a few more metals.

Alternatively, we could start dumping all of our inorganic waste at the south pole, so that hopefully it stays frozen and the future of humanity can then more readily reuse it.

ggh wrote:Whoa. That's an epsilon thought. I just looked around my house, imagining it in a state of abandoned decomposition. Trees have grown up through few-and-far-between hints of floors and walls. Corners of twisted radiators look like a good way to get tetanus. The amplifier will never work again, but it looks at least recognizable embedded in those twisted roots. There are little shards of coloured plastic, but nothing that makes any sense, and some strange, kinda gross, areas where the dirt is made of something... else. My eye catches a glint from a whisky bottle. I start to dig it out. Hey, there's more! The only thing future-me knows about now-me is that I'm a lush. That's not fair!
That's a really interesting picture you've painted! I'll have to consider what would happen to my house.

ggh wrote:I'm also writing up my RELATED travel tale for last NP's decree, but I'm a bit torn. A small part is a bit offensive if you're an American. (A bit funny probably if you're not.) I don't want to cut that part out, because it was a small, but binding, part of my experience and (probably mostly) because it makes me chuckle. Can I pre-explain that it's all good-natured ribbing? Americans in NZ tend to say, with great confidence (and often with great volume) that such-and-such would be better if it was only done more like they do it in the US. Also, and possibly because of the let's-sue-everyone thing, Americans seem maybe a bit less able to look after themselves. Kiwis like Americans, but a bit of teasing is sometimes in order.
While I can't necessarily speak for all the American OTTers, I like to think that I can take a joke, and I know that the American people certainly have a lot of ways that we can improve. You have my support!

ucim wrote:
When future-you finds the bottle, what does she think of the contents? That's how we know whether future-you is also a lush. :)
I shudder to think what future-me would think if he stumbled upon the weathered ruins of his house, abandoned long ago.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Oops - looks like you've got me there. :P

Okay here goes:

addams wrote:
ggh wrote:Gotta run or I'm going to have a brick in a sock waiting for me.
More later.
Brick in a sock?
What is this Brick in a sock?
I forgot to explain this. It's a reference to the 1954 Parker–Hulme murder case in Christchurch, New Zealand, which featured in the Peter Jackson film, Heavenly Creatures. A pair of teenage girls who were really really close friends were going to be separated by their parents, who feared their relationship might not be healthy. Their solution was to bludgeon one of the mothers to death with a brick in a sock. It turned out to be an ineffective strategy. I mean, it was effective in killing her, but they sure-as-mustard got separated.

One of my friends used to use the expression here and there: "Watch it Mum, or you'll be getting a brick in a sock!" said of course with the lightness that a half century post-tragedy allows. This same friend - let's call him Cubby - had taken me under his wing when I first arrived in NZ and tried to give me a crash course on being Kiwi. He taught me a good number of expressions - some of which may not have been as heavily in use as I might have gotten the impression they were. I don't know if that was one of them. Maybe bachaddict or MistyCat could tell me: have you heard the expression "brick in a sock" to refer to the violent doing-away-with of one's mum?

Actually, this segues quite nicely into the story I wanted to tell for the NP2560 decree, because Cubby was the instigator there as well. Cubby tried to educate me rugby-leaguewise (this led to me tackling a foreign national on the lawn of Parliament, which is still a highlight moment of my Kiwi citizenship), idiomwise, and pronunciationwise - though I never managed to disguise the NJ accent.
Spoiler:
One bit of Kiwi pronunciation involves saying ch for t in certain cases. Cubby taught me to say Chewsday, as in "Monday, Chewsday, Wednesday" and s-chupid, as in - and here a cheeky grin grows on his face - "s-chupid chirping American, s-chupid chirping American."

Cubby was contemplating buying a small patch of land in Hertbertville - which I think it might be fair to say is Nowhere, even by NZ standards - and he was wondering if I could check it out for him. I was planning to drive 6-and-a-half hours to Waikaremoana (the seaish lake that covered the forest when a landslide blocked a river long ago) and altering my return route through Herbertville would only add an hour or two to the trip, so sure.

When I got to Waikaremoana and rented a rowboat, I was told that they were expecting some weather to be coming in, but that I might be able to beat it. I enjoyed a lovely weekend at the lake, and it was just starting to drizzle on Sunday afternoon when I returned the boat, so I counted myself very fortunate that whatever "some weather" was, it hadn't affected me.

Driving back, I diverted from my usual route at Waipukurau, turning south toward Herbertville. It had gotten a bit rainy, and though I don't recall the wind, it must have been blowy, because bits of tree were starting to litter the road. Sometimes I'd stop and get out of the car to drag a large branch off the road. It was pretty country, sometimes with largish ponds dotting the farmland. I didn't know that those ponds weren't supposed to be there.

As I got closer to Herbertville, branches started becoming trees. Fortunately, someone had come through with a chainsaw, and the road was still passable. There were also an increasing number of washouts to navigate.

I should mention what I was driving. Like many of the cars I've driven, it was not mine. I've actually owned only one car I think (a very game Plymouth Voyager from about '95-'01). This was a '92 Mercedes 500SL iirc. It was easily the flashest car I had ever driven, but up until that day, I hadn't really liked it. I didn't think it had "heart" like other cars I've loved. After taking it through some washouts that a car like that should not be expected to tolerate, I was starting to think better of it.

Eventually, I was faced with a tree that was completely across the road; I'd have to turn back. Wait! What was I thinking? I had an axe in the boot! I chopped off the less substantial end of the tree to make a path through. Success! More washouts, but we were doing great, this car and I. We even successfully braked for two hedgehogs that had taken to the road.

We arrived in Herbertville. It was dark and wet. Dark, wet and not much. I looked at the patch of land and tried to memorize it in all its unspectacularness. And then we turned for home.

After a short while there was a fork in the road: I could turn south and take a more direct route on small roads, or go a bit out of the way and head back to the main highway. It is not usually my way, but I chose to be conservative and safe. It was pretty messy out there, and the car was suffering. I had started promising it all sorts of special maintenance when we got back.

As we headed north, the land opened up a bit into more rolling farmland, and, as the hills and trees crowded the road less and less, there were fewer and fewer washouts and downed tree limbs to navigate. We were going to be back on Highway 2 in no time.
And then, there was an enormous splash.

Here's a different perspective: an old farmer in Weber has watched the creek rise and rise until it can no longer fit under the bridge and has now well-and-truly become a river over it. He has asked for some traffic triangles in the past to set by the bridge, as it has flooded before, but no one has ever done anything about his request. He's concerned that some idiot is going to drive into the river, so he's been standing outside on the road in the rain with a torch/flashlight to warn any motorists. He's got to use the toilet now, so he goes in to his bathroom and sits down.

In the car, I turned the engine off immediately and tried to think clearly, because it seemed like a good time to make the right decisions. I had heard (erroneously perhaps) that in water you wait for the water to rise inside the car, so as to equalize the pressure and make opening the door possible. It is a weird feeling, that. The water rose up my legs, up to my hips, up my torso while I sat there in that comfy leather Mercedes seat, looking around with a tiny torch for I-have-no-idea-what.

As I was getting ready to try the door, I saw a larger light outside the car, dipping and weaving, moving slowly towards me. A man asked me if I was the only one inside. (He could see how the car was moving against the bridge railing and worried that one person getting out might cause any other occupants to be swept away.) When I said I was, he pulled and I pushed, and really it wasn't that bad. We could wade out with some difficulty (again, I was fortunate that I hadn't seen the trees that had crashed down the river - it didn't seem that dangerous to me.) I asked if there was a tractor or something we could pull the car out with. He must have thought I was crazy.

The car spent the night completely submerged. The man turned me over to his neighbour, a farmer named - I kid you not - McDonald, and I lay awake in bed thinking that I was wearing my favourite t-shirt and my favourite vest and I had $10 in my pocket. I wondered if the car would still be on the bridge in the morning, or whether it was well on its way to the sea. The rain on the roof just kept on....

In the morning the river had left the bridge and my car sat there. It was full of silt. Under the bonnet, there was a good inch of silt covering the engine. Poor car. Also, we were still trapped; even though this creek had gone down, further up the road was a patch of flood that would not retreat that day, or the next. That water had claimed a few cars as well. In the other direction a bridge was out.

The McDonalds were as molpish as you can imagine. Power was mostly out. They made tea and toast on their barbecue. I got to put on their spare gumboots and tag along doing farmery things - it was a pretty awesomeful adventure. When the waters finally retreated up by the marae, they drove me into Dannevirke and put me on a bus to Wellington.

But - oops - let me back up a moment. When that place was an island a few kilometers in diameter, the folks on that island drove around to check out the damage, because hey, what else was there to do? There I stood on the bridge, next to a very expensive drowned car - the local tourist attraction. All I could think of was Cubby grinning: "S-chupid chirping American, s-chupid chirping American" :)

And to top it off, the one person I knew from Dannevirke - a fellow who had taken me in when I was struggling on my bike trip and then drove me over an hour to Napier, just because - turned out to be on that island. I knew it was him as soon as I saw his pickup approaching. He paused at the bridge, surveyed the scene, saw me, turned to McDonald and said, "Ah. You've got her this time." He drove off.

Heh. S-chupid chirping American. :mrgreen:
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Heh. S-chupid chirping American. :mrgreen:
How could you say that?
I am very offended.

A friend of mine from California uses the phrase "dang...shade" quite frequently and will not explain what it means.
Is that, as he claims, a thing that is often said there? Or is he the only one?

Febrion wrote:timeoblig.
OPSI'll answer myself, since I want to2, with "no, but get on with it, you're rambling"your
twoWorking on it
nullDon't tell anyone!
dutyNever grow up
2That's just a rumor!
I'm a bit lost on some of these.

ggh wrote:And if this list is to be believed

I think it depends on the area. Where I am, plywood can be stored outside for a year with little degradation - after three years it is no longer useable as plywood, but it has certainly not decomposed completely. Some of the other times seem to be close though.
Wait For It.

MistyCat

Postby MistyCat » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:28 am UTC

ggh wrote:Maybe bachaddict or MistyCat could tell me: have you heard the expression "brick in a sock" to refer to the violent doing-away-with of one's mum?

I've never heard it outside the context of the Peter Jackson film, but I recognised the expression and what it meant when you used it.
Purrr.
MistyCat wrote:Ch*rpedy ch*rp the ch*rpng ch*rp.

Waiting for Lucky

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Okay here goes:

addams wrote:
ggh wrote:Gotta run or I'm going to have a brick in a sock waiting for me.
More later.
Brick in a sock?
What is this Brick in a sock?
I forgot to explain this. It's a reference to the 1954 Parker–Hulme murder case in Christchurch, New Zealand, which featured in the Peter Jackson film, Heavenly Creatures. A pair of teenage girls who were really really close friends were going to be separated by their parents, who feared their relationship might not be healthy. Their solution was to bludgeon one of the mothers to death with a brick in a sock. It turned out to be an ineffective strategy. I mean, it was effective in killing her, but they sure-as-mustard got separated.

One of my friends used to use the expression here and there: "Watch it Mum, or you'll be getting a brick in a sock!" said of course with the lightness that a half century post-tragedy allows. This same friend - let's call him Cubby - had taken me under his wing when I first arrived in NZ and tried to give me a crash course on being Kiwi. He taught me a good number of expressions - some of which may not have been as heavily in use as I might have gotten the impression they were. I don't know if that was one of them. Maybe bachaddict or MistyCat could tell me: have you heard the expression "brick in a sock" to refer to the violent doing-away-with of one's mum?

Actually, this segues quite nicely into the story I wanted to tell for the NP2560 decree, because Cubby was the instigator there as well. Cubby tried to educate me rugby-leaguewise (this led to me tackling a foreign national on the lawn of Parliament, which is still a highlight moment of my Kiwi citizenship), idiomwise, and pronunciationwise - though I never managed to disguise the NJ accent.
Spoiler:
One bit of Kiwi pronunciation involves saying ch for t in certain cases. Cubby taught me to say Chewsday, as in "Monday, Chewsday, Wednesday" and s-chupid, as in - and here a cheeky grin grows on his face - "s-chupid chirping American, s-chupid chirping American."

Cubby was contemplating buying a small patch of land in Hertbertville - which I think it might be fair to say is Nowhere, even by NZ standards - and he was wondering if I could check it out for him. I was planning to drive 6-and-a-half hours to Waikaremoana (the seaish lake that covered the forest when a landslide blocked a river long ago) and altering my return route through Herbertville would only add an hour or two to the trip, so sure.

When I got to Waikaremoana and rented a rowboat, I was told that they were expecting some weather to be coming in, but that I might be able to beat it. I enjoyed a lovely weekend at the lake, and it was just starting to drizzle on Sunday afternoon when I returned the boat, so I counted myself very fortunate that whatever "some weather" was, it hadn't affected me.

Driving back, I diverted from my usual route at Waipukurau, turning south toward Herbertville. It had gotten a bit rainy, and though I don't recall the wind, it must have been blowy, because bits of tree were starting to litter the road. Sometimes I'd stop and get out of the car to drag a large branch off the road. It was pretty country, sometimes with largish ponds dotting the farmland. I didn't know that those ponds weren't supposed to be there.

As I got closer to Herbertville, branches started becoming trees. Fortunately, someone had come through with a chainsaw, and the road was still passable. There were also an increasing number of washouts to navigate.

I should mention what I was driving. Like many of the cars I've driven, it was not mine. I've actually owned only one car I think (a very game Plymouth Voyager from about '95-'01). This was a '92 Mercedes 500SL iirc. It was easily the flashest car I had ever driven, but up until that day, I hadn't really liked it. I didn't think it had "heart" like other cars I've loved. After taking it through some washouts that a car like that should not be expected to tolerate, I was starting to think better of it.

Eventually, I was faced with a tree that was completely across the road; I'd have to turn back. Wait! What was I thinking? I had an axe in the boot! I chopped off the less substantial end of the tree to make a path through. Success! More washouts, but we were doing great, this car and I. We even successfully braked for two hedgehogs that had taken to the road.

We arrived in Herbertville. It was dark and wet. Dark, wet and not much. I looked at the patch of land and tried to memorize it in all its unspectacularness. And then we turned for home.

After a short while there was a fork in the road: I could turn south and take a more direct route on small roads, or go a bit out of the way and head back to the main highway. It is not usually my way, but I chose to be conservative and safe. It was pretty messy out there, and the car was suffering. I had started promising it all sorts of special maintenance when we got back.

As we headed north, the land opened up a bit into more rolling farmland, and, as the hills and trees crowded the road less and less, there were fewer and fewer washouts and downed tree limbs to navigate. We were going to be back on Highway 2 in no time.

Here's a different perspective: an old farmer in Weber has watched the creek rise and rise until it can no longer fit under the bridge and has now well-and-truly become a river over it. He has asked for some traffic triangles in the past to set by the bridge, as it has flooded before, but no one has ever done anything about his request. He's concerned that some idiot is going to drive into the river, so he's been standing outside on the road in the rain with a torch/flashlight to warn any motorists. He's got to use the toilet now, so he goes in to his bathroom and sits down.

In the car, I turned the engine off immediately and tried to think clearly, because it seemed like a good time to make the right decisions. I had heard (erroneously perhaps) that in water you wait for the water to rise inside the car, so as to equalize the pressure and make opening the door possible. It is a weird feeling, that. The water rose up my legs, up to my hips, up my torso while I sat there in that comfy leather Mercedes seat, looking around with a tiny torch for I-have-no-idea-what.

As I was getting ready to try the door, I saw a larger light outside the car, dipping and weaving, moving slowly towards me. A man asked me if I was the only one inside. (He could see how the car was moving against the bridge railing and worried that one person getting out might cause any other occupants to be swept away.) When I said I was, he pulled and I pushed, and really it wasn't that bad. We could wade out with some difficulty (again, I was fortunate that I hadn't seen the trees that had crashed down the river - it didn't seem that dangerous to me.) I asked if there was a tractor or something we could pull the car out with. He must have thought I was crazy.

The car spent the night completely submerged. The man turned me over to his neighbour, a farmer named - I kid you not - McDonald, and I lay awake in bed thinking that I was wearing my favourite t-shirt and my favourite vest and I had $10 in my pocket. I wondered if the car would still be on the bridge in the morning, or whether it was well on its way to the sea. The rain on the roof just kept on....

In the morning the river had left the bridge and my car sat there. It was full of silt. Under the bonnet, there was a good inch of silt covering the engine. Poor car. Also, we were still trapped; even though this creek had gone down, further up the road was a patch of flood that would not retreat that day, or the next. That water had claimed a few cars as well. In the other direction a bridge was out.

The McDonalds were as molpish as you can imagine. Power was mostly out. They made tea and toast on their barbecue. I got to put on their spare gumboots and tag along doing farmery things - it was a pretty awesomeful adventure. When the waters finally retreated up by the marae, they drove me into Dannevirke and put me on a bus to Wellington.

But - oops - let me back up a moment. When that place was an island a few kilometers in diameter, the folks on that island drove around to check out the damage, because hey, what else was there to do? There I stood on the bridge, next to a very expensive drowned car - the local tourist attraction. All I could think of was Cubby grinning: "S-chupid chirping American, s-chupid chirping American" :)

And to top it off, the one person I knew from Dannevirke - a fellow who had taken me in when I was struggling on my bike trip and then drove me over an hour to Napier, just because - turned out to be on that island. I knew it was him as soon as I saw his pickup approaching. He paused at the bridge, surveyed the scene, saw me, turned to McDonald and said, "Ah. You've got her this time." He drove off.

Heh. S-chupid chirping American. :mrgreen:
well...You take the Pretty Please with a Cherry On Top Cake.
The one I was preparing to use to bribe you for The Story.

You are THE Most Adventuresome Woman of All!
And; You tell a darned Good Story.
Spoiler:
As I read The Story,
I was frightened for you.

Silly me.

Of course you were O.K.
You were able to write.

Yey!
Good Story!
Good, Good Story!

Poor, Poor Car.
What ever became of The Car?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:31 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
ggh wrote:Heh. S-chupid chirping American. :mrgreen:
How could you say that?
I am very offended.

A friend of mine from California uses the phrase "dang...shade" quite frequently and will not explain what it means.
Is that, as he claims, a thing that is often said there? Or is he the only one?

I thought that was a Southern (US) thing. It means, roughly, "Oooh!" - Used when someone points out a mistake, or otherwise puts someone down. (So it is pointing out the pointing out.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 am UTC

SBN wrote:I thought that was a Southern (US) thing. It means, roughly, "Oooh!" - Used when someone points out a mistake, or otherwise puts someone down. (So it is pointing out the pointing out.)

Okay, thanks.
Wait For It.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:03 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
Febrion wrote:timeoblig.
twoWorking on it
nullDon't tell anyone!
dutyNever grow up
2That's just a rumor!

I'm a bit lost on some of these.

No worries - I'm not exactly the sanest of the crazies here. Take solace in the fact that you don't have to hear what goes through my head - the act of writing things down2 forces me to put a filter on the stream. It can get pretty random and chaotic in herev, bouncing from subject to subject way too fast to keep up with in writing. As for the footnotes, I swear there really is a logical connection between the upper and lower tags*, but since most of those are very tenuous10, usually relating to things that only I, or few others, know, I try pretty hard to keep em in order. I'm sure I mess it up sometimes, but life's an adventure, just go with it!

downOr even typing, which is orders of magnitude faster
404I forgot what was going to go here
DISCLAIMERAt least 95% of the time, anyway - I do have to confess, though, that sometimes I just throw random characters in the soup tags
uSo this one was a bit more obviousW
really?But I didn't put the footnote there, so I have to use another one5
3Anyway, just wanted to say that even I miss the logic in em sometimes if I look at a message "from the before"

***EDIT***
As an aside, I just wanted to say it's good to be back, even if only briefly5 As much as I've always hated formal writing, I really enjoy informal writing.# And I missed y'all, of course - it's nice not being invisible all the time

exI hope it wont be brief, but I can't predict the future5 - "in motion" etc...
againExcept for the trivial cases, of course
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:37 am UTC

Febrion wrote:I hope it wont be brief, but I can't predict the future
Yeah, it's one of the hardest things to make predictions about.

ggh, remind me never to lend you my car. :)

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:19 am UTC

MistyCat wrote:I've never heard it outside the context of the Peter Jackson film, but I recognised the expression and what it meant when you used it.
Thanks, MistyCat. :)

addams wrote:What ever became of The Car?
It was an insurance write-off. Someone told me that any car that ends up in water up to the keyholes is a write-off. I felt really bad about the prospect of it being junked. I had bonded with it that day, and like I said, I killed the engine as soon as I hit the river so that the engine wouldn't choke on the water. I asked the insurance, what if I want to fix her? They told me I could accept a payout of $1000 less and keep the vehicle. I thought - heck, I should do that: the tires would be worth that, but the sad reality is that I had no place to keep the car and no one who could work on it. I had some amount of Time to make the decision... a few weeks maybe? I dragged my feet. It seemed like such a waste....

On the last day I had to make a decision, I got a call from a gal I knew at my FFS. (It turns out that everyone knows about it when you miss a couple days of work because you've driven into a river.) She asked if I still had the car and would I be willing to sell it to her? Her dad had recently retired and he needed a project.
Image Done!

I never saw the car again, but I heard about her, and I think/hope she made it back to the open road. The retired dad steam-cleaned her engine and did some other stuff that I've forgotten. He said there were no less than eleven computer systems to get working. I think he might have gotten as far as getting one or two going. After he'd taken it as far as he could, he passed her on. Years later, I was talking about it to a fellow who currently helps me out with car things, and he thought that he'd seen her at some point later in the process. It sounded good. :)

Febrion wrote:
DISCLAIMERAt least 95% of the time, anyway - I do have to confess, though, that sometimes I just throw random characters in the soup tags

Oh - thank you for saying that! I feel like I get to chuckle at most of connections, but there are some I just have roll with. This gives me permission to pretend the ones that are soaring over my head are just the random ones. :)

ucim wrote:ggh, remind me never to lend you my car. :)
Fair call. :)
The Jeep Cherokee I am currently driving is owned by a really nice fellow, currently in Germany I believe. I asked to borrow it for a month... over two years ago. Thursday, I had the passenger door welded back on. I should probably tell him about that....
Agatha the Awesomeful

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:43 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
ucim wrote:ggh, remind me never to lend you my car. :)
Fair call. :)
The Jeep Cherokee I am currently driving is owned by a really nice fellow, currently in Germany I believe. I asked to borrow it for a month... over two years ago. Thursday, I had the passenger door welded back on. I should probably tell him about that....
...You are Amazing!

In person, you must be charismatic enough to "Charm the Birds out of The Trees.".

Why Anyone in their Right Mind, especially a German,
would loan you a car is far, far beyond me.
Spoiler:
Yet; I am so pleased for both You and The Little Wonder, someone always does.
For some strange reason... I'm sure you could end up behind the wheel of Lucelle.
If you had not already joined a Strange Religion,
I'd suggest you could start one of your very own.

(gasp) An Epiphany:
You have more driving experience than most Posters.
This is a Feature, not a Bug.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”