1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue May 23, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

ImageImageUNG:

\\Image

mrob27 wrote:the collaborative culture seems to have gone away.

I'm not sure I agree with this - I think there are mostly just fewer OTTers "live" at any given Time to collaborate with. I'd bet requests for collaboration on a subject would be received molpishly, if maybe not as quickly as in the past. :)

Optional decree:
Bring grapes. Or vines. Or vinegrapes.
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: Time: TRICEROCUES ∩ CHRONOTRANSPONDERS ≠ BLITZANITY-COMAERS

Postby SBN » Tue May 23, 2017 11:11 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
ggh wrote:… my gridded version of Find-the-OTTers

That's another one. @ucim found a lot of small images that resemble avatars and things, and quasi-bragged about it by posting the little images themselves but out of context (that is to say, without telling us where the little avatars and things are located in the original big image). @ggh responded, "What a great way to show these!" which I took to mean something to the effect of "how clever, showing us what you found without revealing where you found it!".

Seems like when the Find the OTTers was first posted, just like with some of the old crosswords, folks wanted the chance to solve it themselves, without spoilers.

I don't know how ggh solved taixzo's script. Might not have been in a shareable way. I've definitely had puzzles where I went from "I don't even know what the question is" to "Oh, that's the answer" with no discernible middle steps. (Usually with a night's sleep, but that's not something I can out-source.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 24, 2017 1:56 am UTC

I totally wish you could outsource a night's sleep, SBN!

mrob27 wrote:Actually, it was @ggh that I had in mind when I wrote that. Why did xe have to decrypt @taixzo's script system all by xerself? It would have been so much more generous to share the details with us while they were being worked out. Apparently, at least if we're to believe this, @ucim figured out that @ggh was figuring it out and told us more than @ggh was ready to tell us, but also in a cryptic way.
Can I plead guilty to some charges, but not others? When I started writing this post, my heart was in the right place; my intention was to provide a character set so others could work on the decryption. Unfortunately, listing the characters forced me to think about what the character units were, since at first glance the connected letters confused things, and realizing what the units were, made the decryption relatively simple. So yes, in the space of 4 hours, my good intentions became moot. Like I said, I could read it by the Time I posted the edit.

Then I posted some things in Taix, which, in retrospect, might have been a dick move.

What happened with Jose, I can't regret, because I still think it was the perfect way to reveal taixzo's authorship. I'll stand by that.

I think you'd mostly applaud my motivations with BSTA. Yes, I have made mistakes and gotten carried away, but I wouldn't have uploaded all that stuff to the Puzzles and Mysteries page if I wanted to keep it for myself to solve. And I wouldn't have written this post for you.

On the other hand, sometimes my heart is not in the right place. Here's a great example of that. And I can't promise you that it won't happen again, because character flaws ain't something I lack.

ggh wrote:… my gridded version of Find-the-OTTers

That's another one. ....

I am completely responsible for any frustration regarding Find-the-OTTers, but that was because I didn't think things through, and I'm sorry about that. I didn't consider how to provide an easy way to share answers without spoiling anyone who didn't want to be spoiled, which I do think is an important thing. I have an idea and I'm going to try to fix that - yes, maybe it's too little too late - but you're going to have to wait for it some more, because, boy, am I tired. I've been staying up way too late for the last month or so, and you would be surprised how painfully long it takes me to write posts. I am in complete awe of your post-writing ability, mrob.

That's okay I guess, because like I said, the collaborative culture seems to have gone away.
I don't think this is true at all. For it to be the case, I'd have to have single-handedly killed it, and the OTT is not a single-point-of-failure critter. Even if I ruined part of the BSTA launch, look at all the other folks who came together to get it going. Look at the BFTF launch. Check out mscha, still posting the ONGs and grabbing the epilogue frames in the hopes that that will someday be solved. Look at svenman tirelessly updating the wiki so that everyone here can find what they're looking for. Look at the site of this guy called mrob, sharing all his collected info with everyone. Look at the responses to everyone who ever says that they have any sort of problem.
This is all pretty powerful collaboration.

Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 am UTC

Recently the autogenerated text in balthasar's signature has been changing more frequently, so I made a bot to record it. I recommend waiting for the next version coming out sometime in the next few yips that will only log changes to the Sig, but here's a botched together version that simply checks every hour and outputs the text and timestamp to a txt file.
I think it will only work on Windows.

b's sig.zip
(197.63 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

Eta:
mrob27 wrote:Thanks for the Object Generator explanations. I did try uploading a JPG file, and I did indeed use the username kxa and password CFRTdsn'tapproV, but I got a syntax error: test1.jpg 1: syntax error. That was kind of fun. I guess maybe it has to be a text file? Not enough to be able to figure anything else out, so I gave up (again).
My best guess is that the uploaded file must contain instructions for telling the generator which entry to pull from in the database, but I don't know how they are accessed or what they are called.
Perhaps it does need to be text, but per another hap, it might need to be an image similar to a qr code.
As I see it, we need to figure out:
Does the extension need to be .ogdf
Does the file name need to be tlrtrick
Was that file uploaded, or did he simply redirect the generator to another file on the server
What is the instruction format
What are the object options
If we set up a bot to upload things as fast as possible, how long will it take to crash the moon server (this is the most important)

I might have Time tonight to try uploading some more things.

Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 am UTC

Treeish! That's perfect!

Append
Look at GnomeAnne making a bot so everyone can have easy access to the mysteries of the balthasig.
to my (highly incomplete) list. :)

Yep, I think collaboration is alive and well on the OTT. :)

Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

NI NI NI TREBUCHAT OTTERONG

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:47 am UTC

Actually, the images that Jose posted from Find the OTTERS could help you find them. There was enough of the background included that I think it most cases it would point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure what you screwed up regarding Find the OTTers, ggh, and I don't understand how you screwed up the launch of bsta, To be honest, so much of what was happening with Coincidence confused me. (I'm still confused after reading through that post of yours you linked to, with all the links linking to other things. It's that same feeling I often have in the OTT, where I have no idea what's going on, but I totally appreciate whatever it is!) I remember a lot being posted by you and GnomeAnne and others as things developed, though.

I still see a lot of collaboration and cooperation here, even with the smaller group that's around now. And I see ggh has ninja'd me much more eloquently.

Speaking of collaborating and cooperating, this is for the pope:

Redundant:
Spoiler:
grapevines.jpeg
grapevines.jpeg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 14921 times

redundant_catvine.jpg

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mrob27

1190: Time: REDUNDANT QUACKMOLPY IS REDUNDANT.

Postby mrob27 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:11 am UTC

I think my main problem here is getting confused and frustrated by my lack of perfect recall, and then I point the blame at anything except bme and start ch*rping about it. I've done it a few times. It's not good behaviour. I apologise.

There are a lot of good examples of us working together on things. @ggh just gave a rather nice sampling. I only seem to notice things that feed into my confirmation bias :(

SBN wrote:I don't know how ggh solved taixzo's script. Might not have been in a shareable way. I've definitely had puzzles where I went from "I don't even know what the question is" to "Oh, that's the answer" with no discernible middle steps.[…]

Yep. That fits all the evidence quite well (most importantly, @ggh said as much in post OTT:2476:22, "somewhere between the time of [OTT:2465:21] and the time I edited it" which limits it to 5 1/2 nopix or less.).
  I think the thing that bothered me was the 12 1/2 dips or so between then and the second @ggh-RELATED AotC chapter, which is a time period during which I thought maybe we could have been given some parts to help validate or refute.

Thank you so much for all the explanations, @ggh. You actually did a pretty good job of recounting the chronology of the Taixz decryption, starting here, then again some time later (I forget when), and most recently just now.
  I don't think it was ch*rpish to post the hints to @taixzo (The first was at OTT:2465:26 saying "ᒽ c̄ˀ cᘇ ", → /ai nou ɪts iu/"I know it's you"; and the second was at OTT:2466:23 with an image that says "taixzo, should I out you?"). It's just that the pretense of taixzo wanting to be unknown doesn't make sense. The possibility that the mystery author wanted to remain secret was deprecated at OTT:2455:4 when you wrote "I could be wrong, but I think we have to reveal the mystery author(s). Xey/They already provided the Image and we just need to figure out how to read that." and totally debunked by the self-evident obviousness of the encryption system. In other words, Taixz was clearly meant to be easy to decrypt, so there's no pretending that taixzo could have had any reasonable expectaction of prolonged secrecy.
  My latest theory is consistent with the statements that ggh didn't tell @ucim anything that ggh was discovering: indeed ucim figured out the alphabet (or parts of it) on xes own, and then ucim told ggh. But ucim wanted ggh to get the credit because ucim believed/knew that ggh had invested more effort into it. Thus was conceived the idea of letting ggh bask in the glory by way of the rather molpish AotC chapters OTT:2466:31 and OTT:2471:30. Meanwhile, asking @taixzo in code whether xe is okay with being revealed provided a convenient explanation for why ggh didn't reveal the decryption right away, giving @ucim time to write the AotC chapters. Perhaps also, ggh was being overly modest and didn't want it to look like boasting.

Also, @ggh, thank you again for explaining the BSTA events. I did really get confused by that, but mostly just because I was in school and couldn't spend a lot of Tim doing OTT detective work.

I don't think anyone messed anything up. I sort of thought that @ucim and @ggh were each doing it alone (or maybe collaborating in secret) because that's the culture we've cultivated here, over the years. The crosswords promote that type of "do it alone" attitude, because crosswords can usually be solved by oneself. On the other end of the scale are the @AluisioASG crypto puzzles, some of which may well have been impossible even for the everyone who was active at the time.

It is easy to share answers without spoiling anyone who didn't want to be spoiled, just use a spoiler tag, isn't that what they're for? Anyway, that's how @BlitzGirl gave the crossword answers. I think @yappobiscuits gave a crossword answer that way too.

P.S. I thought I saw a hidden message in that last redundakitty, but it's just a watermark "alamy stock photo". :D
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:...indeed ucim figured out the alphabet (or parts of it) on xes own, and then ucim told ggh. But ucim wanted ggh to get the credit...
Sorry to dispel any imaginings of greatness people may have had of my decryptography. Actually, I hadn't figured out anything about the actual script, and so had nothing to share. I did get the impression that ggh might be on to it (I don't remember what gave me the clue), and immediately wrote a chapter in AotC hinting at that, ending in a cliffhanger an opportunity to Wait For It. If I was wrong, I could take the story in a different direction. But, as it happened, I hit gold.
mrob27 wrote:I think the thing that bothered me was the 12 1/2 dips or so between then and the second @ggh-RELATED AotC chapter, which is when I thought maybe we could have been given some parts to help validate or refute.
It takes a while to write a chapter, and it takes a while to know what direction I want to take the story in, and in what manner. I ended that chapter in the First Commandment too, because I had a third part in store, and there were some other developments happening too that had to be included. I must say that they were fun chapters to write, (and I think ggh liked them too :) ) but a lot of Outside intervened.

Regarding Find the OTTers, personally I wanted to find myself, and imagine that others also wanted to find themselves. I never thought of posting (or looking for posts of) OTTersFound. But it had been a while with the images sitting on my hard drive, with me poking at it whenever I get a chance. She posted the original so it's a simple matter to subtract the two images (but I didn't want to do that; what's the fun in seeking that way!) I think I found myself, though a pope would not be unexpected in the original either. Eventually I posted snippets; at some point they could be organized into an answer key. But I understand there are many more to find, so happy hunting, by pack or individually!

The OTT culture here is as it was; just not as intense since the basement has swelled and the postpace has slackened. Nonetheless, you are as molpishly welcomed as you always are; that is, seashly. Smopu hvala nuvi dict amuah!

===

@NeilBoekend - I do hope all your kidney issues resolve well. "Sana te, sana, culita de rana. Si no sana hoy, te sana mañana." Full strength. In the meanwhile, perhaps eating coffee filters will help. At the very least, it's fiber, and maybe your kidneys could absorb the filters and use them to filter whatever it is kidneys filter. You have a very molpish brother. Smope hvala tuve dict amuah cosi!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1562

Postby mscha » Wed May 24, 2017 5:10 am UTC

SHIFTUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU GET TREBUCHAT! AND YOU GET TREBUCHAT! AND YOU GET TREBUCHAT! EVERYMOLPY GETS TREBUCHAT!

-- posted by oldpixbot

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed May 24, 2017 5:43 am UTC

Ah, the memories...

Spoiler:
Gingercat, 1000 NPs ago wrote:So. I finally registered. Been visiting the site for years and years, but never took the step to join the forum...

Until comic 1190.

Now, I'm up to Page 40 of this thread so far in a single "working" day, and still somehow being productive (I'm an IT Helpdesk guy), and the story of a sandcastle is slowly unfolding before me...

Perhaps never knowing of this makes me one of today's 10,000?

I'm also unsure as to whether this is actually "complete" or not - I'm posting this reply in the dark, as it were, and likely won't see any replies to this, my first post, until I "catch up" to this page. I've seen mention of a progress-so-far animation, but I'll only watch it once I've done my Time through reading the forum posts.

That will take a while, but I am fascinated. It means that I'm seeing each new frame significantly faster than the original schedule, but each new frame is still several minutes in the arrival... So I am indeed still waiting.

I can only wonder if my resolve to not view the animation can hold all the way through. Perhaps a self-social experiment? We shall see.

Greetings to all from Gingercat. I think I will like it here.

Turns out, I did indeed like it here. Waiting is very molpish. I should know, I'm a Molpy (who likes grapevine grapevines).

This is also my 400th post! Hardly prolific in the grand scheme of things, but in the thick of it nonetheless.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
mrob27 wrote:Thanks for the Object Generator explanations. I did try uploading a JPG file, and I did indeed use the username kxa and password CFRTdsn'tapproV, but I got a syntax error: test1.jpg 1: syntax error. That was kind of fun. I guess maybe it has to be a text file? Not enough to be able to figure anything else out, so I gave up (again).
My best guess is that the uploaded file must contain instructions for telling the generator which entry to pull from in the database, but I don't know how they are accessed or what they are called.
Perhaps it does need to be text, but per another hap, it might need to be an image similar to a qr code.
As I see it, we need to figure out:
Does the extension need to be .ogdf
Does the file name need to be tlrtrick
Was that file uploaded, or did he simply redirect the generator to another file on the server
What is the instruction format
What are the object options
If we set up a bot to upload things as fast as possible, how long will it take to crash the moon server (this is the most important)

Are you aware that

this has already been solved?
Ok, not even solved - it didn't require any solving because I actually posted the file before even the password was known.
http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=3652036#p3652036
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

mrob27

1190: Time: STEAMBOTTLE IS A CUTE STEAMBOTTLE

Postby mrob27 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:28 am UTC

Thank you @ucim. I went back and updated my summary of the @taixzo writing system solution efforts, and found your post at OTT:2500:4. This bit bears repeating:

BlitzGirl wrote: (OTT:454:19) …As grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, this needle-pulled thing works best when we are not all of the same shape. Our quirks clasp us together all the more strongly, so that when we Wait for it together - whatever Time we may travel, whatever sect we may splinter, whatever graph or song or hat we share - we are not alone. For though Time may scatter us among the pastposts and the Present, in the end, it is also what brought us to this mad, mad, glorious home in the first place.

I think I found the old spoilers for @ggh's OtterSearch. Boy that thing's impressive!
ucim wrote: She posted the original so it's a simple matter to subtract the two images (but I didn't want to do that; what's the fun in seeking that way!)

Oh my, really? When?
  Here is @ggh's 1000th post, presenting the puzzle (originally called "Find each OTTher!").
  Almost the first thing I tried doing was using Google Image Search to find the original version, clearly a "Where's Wally/Waldo?" puzzle. I discovered only a version that has three factions (colours) of armies beseiging the fortress (attached here for your reference).
  @ggh found (or created?) a version that has four armies. In addition to a dark blue army, there are a lot of other differences, with unimportant objects arbitrarily shifted and distorted in various ways, so that lots of non-OTT-related things in the @ggh version do not line up with the 3-army version. So you can't just subtract it.
  I dug through my old files from two yips ago, and I found out who had posted answer keys. Spoiler alert! It was @StormAngel. If you look in this post: OTT:2257:33 there are two spoilers, the second contains an image showing what happens if you try to invert the original (with three armies) and overlay it on top of the puzzle by @ggh.

balthasar_s wrote:Are you aware that […] I actually posted the file before even the password was known.

Hmmm… :oops: Maybe not? …
  That post came at an opportune time, being about 10 dips after @Sustainabilizer noticed and told us (OTT:2090:30) that the Object Oenerator online interface is a real thing. You referenced it again later, and it seems I linked to that post twice (OTT:2204:17, OTT:2204:27) talking about an unrelated thing. I don't think I noticed its significance.

ETA: Success!
Object generator online wrote: 0 item(s) of: "EU07 (4E) electric locomotive, adjusted to lunar environment." added to generation queue.

So yes, the "tlrtrick.ogdf" file in OTT:2102:1 works.

Spoiler:
Wally-Roman-Armies-3-factions.jpg
"Where's Wally?" puzzle with three armies beseiging a fortress

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 am UTC

It's awesomeful to see everyOTTer talking things out molpily. :) I was reading through some ICT otherthreads recently and the attitude is quite different out there toward fellow forumites.

MUNGching on grapevine grapevine delicacies:

ucim wrote: In the meanwhile, perhaps eating coffee filters will help. At the very least, it's fiber, and maybe your kidneys could absorb the filters and use them to filter whatever it is kidneys filter.

That would probably be as effective as eating cheesegraters*. Luckily Neil is already ghostish so he may be open to such alternate remedies.

mrob27 wrote:P.S. I thought I saw a hidden message in that last redundakitty, but it's just a watermark "alamy stock photo". :D

Ha! I may have to try an intentional hidden message some Time. Image

Happy 400 posts, Gingercat! Baobabs, one thousand newpages ago - that's a long Time!
Here on the grapenewvinepage, I bring you a themed cake:

*Reference to Sparta, aka Madness 3 B.T.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 am UTC

Thank you BlitzGirl! Your post (which Autocorrupt wanted to change to "potlatch", is there such a thing?) is suitably adorned with grapevine grapevines. Even a grapecake!

balthasar_s

Re: Countdown Timer: 3

Postby balthasar_s » Wed May 24, 2017 10:56 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
b wrote:This IS a bad idea.
It's much better to quickly finish your business in the city and then have the rest of the day only for yourself.

Also, you don't think you will find anything here.
But how will we have the rest of the day to ourself if kxa and her hacker are coming? We should do the exploring now and take care of the stuff in town once she gets here.
The "you" in this sentence is a general you, not a specific you. The narrator aggrees that it if you have stuff to do in the city then it's a better idea to do them first and then be able to do whatever else.
But this "general" sentence actually refers to a specific situation.
In the previous frame kxa suggested that maybe she should change her plans and visit b before going to the city. The "hacke"r, b, and the narrator all think that this is a bad idea and that kxa should go to the city and then have the rest of the day available for doing whatever she wants (for example visiting b, like she originally planned).

For me this was obvious when I wrote this text. But maybe it no longer is as clear as it was for me when I write it in English which works differently than what I'm used to.
I did not intend my bstatexts to be confusing. But sometimes it is not achievable because I'm writing it in my not-primary language.

Geographical context:
b's location is much closer to the city than kxa's.
When going from her place to b's or to the city most of the way is identical, only the last part is diffferent.
You already know where b is.
Kxa's location is not revealed.
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed May 24, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

GrapebeevinesnakeUNG:

Mush them together and what do you get:

Gingercat wrote:Thank you BlitzGirl! Your post (which Autocorrupt wanted to change to "potlatch", is there such a thing?)

Interestingly enough, right now I live one shortpix away from a town named Potlatch. It's all RELATED.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 am UTC

Hey, I gotta run, but tell me what you think of this format: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzles_and_Mysteries for the Find-the-OTTers thingie.

I added the gridded map, and put a double-spoilered section below it. Expanding the collapsed section reveals the names of OTTers/things found. Highlighting the line to the right of the name will reveal the coordinates.

There is currently only one OTTer listed. If you like the format, I'll add a bunch of others I feel confident were found.

Congrats on 1000 newpages, Gingercat!

Agatha the Awesomeful

mrob27

1190: Time: THIS SQUIRPY IS NOW ABOUT HES AND THE 1ST CLERIC.

Postby mrob27 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:39 am UTC

ggh wrote:I added the gridded map, and put a double-spoilered section below it. […] If you like the format, I'll add a bunch of others I feel confident were found.

Double spoilers for extra REDUNDANCY ! Thank you for taking extra effort to wikify your creations :D
  I happen to think that format is great, and column-row or row-column are equally good. You might even use row-column sometimes and column row other times, just to Ni ni ni chubcabrify it up a little bit.

Can I add a "Solved Puzzles" section too? It might contain the mr*bdex message which we now know as bOTTeriada. A "solved" section might grow out of control, so perhaps it's not appropriate to have it on the same page.
  I think it could just be a list of items with a brief description of each and links to the posts that you can read to learn what it is and how it was solved. Something like this:

Solved Puzzles
  • In post OTT:2205:20, about half of the words in the mr*bdex started blinking; later the words became red and green, then italic and bold (as they remain to this dip). There was a hidden message, which @balthasar_s decoded as described in post OTT:2212:24. The message periodically changes. The decoding was automated, see OTT:2213:37; and the mr*bdex (already automated) was programmed to broadcast new lines of text after the existing lines have been found by @balthasar_s's bots. The successive lines of decoded text make up a collection of short stories, an OTTification of Stanisław Lem's Cyberiada now known as bOTTeriada.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hey, I gotta run, but tell me what you think of this format: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/Puzzles_and_Mysteries for the Find-the-OTTers thingie.

Looks molpish to me! :)

For the newgrapepagevine:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu May 25, 2017 3:41 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Can I add a "Solved Puzzles" section too? It might contain the mr*bdex message which we now know as bOTTeriada. A "solved" section might grow out of control, so perhaps it's not appropriate to have it on the same page.
  I think it could just be a list of items with a brief description of each and links to the posts that you can read to learn what it is and how it was solved. Something like this:

Solved Puzzles
  • In post OTT:2205:20, about half of the words in the mr*bdex started blinking; later the words became red and green, then italic and bold (as they remain to this dip). There was a hidden message, which @balthasar_s decoded as described in post OTT:2212:24. The message periodically changes. The decoding was automated, see OTT:2213:37; and the mr*bdex (already automated) was programmed to broadcast new lines of text after the existing lines have been found by @balthasar_s's bots. The successive lines of decoded text make up a collection of short stories, an OTTification of Stanisław Lem's Cyberiada now known as bOTTeriada.

I think it would be fantastic to have solved puzzles documented on the wiki! (especially the one you mentioned, because I missed or forgot that somehow and wondered about it.) Oh please do! It doesn't even need to be a new section - we could keep them together with the unsolved ones in the current section, but maybe add a tag to each entry? - hold on... okay... done - now there are coloured words to indicate solvedness. I'd envision green for solved, but you could make it whatever you like.

Yes, the page might get unwieldy, but maybe the solution to that is treating it like an index and send largish subsections to their own pages, or using the collapsible sections heavily to make the page look more like an index, or just not worrying about it at all until it actually seems to get too big.

I've got about a third of the found pics listed now in that spoiler. I'll chip away at it more when I get the chance. Also needed: a serious update of the balthasar section, a listing of the t1i flora and fauna, and links to Beanish resources.

And now you also have to fix your bike.

Suddenly, you don't want to be this guy any more.

Ha!

And hey, we're made it to the triple digits - woot! This also means that the milestone I was waiting for, waiting for, waiting for, went and passed while my attention wandered. A few frames ago we had BSTA #97. If I'm not mistaken, BSTA #97 was the last frame to be loaded into the queue before the BSTA-launch. There is some hard-core waiting being done by balthasar.

Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 25, 2017 4:04 pm UTC

ggh wrote:A few frames ago we had BSTA #97. If I'm not mistaken, BSTA #97 was the last frame to be loaded into the queue before the BSTA-launch.
Yes, it was the last one on this page, 98 in on the next one:
Spoiler:
When bsta started frames 98-103 were also drawn but not scanned. There was still empty space on the page.

Spoiler:
bstascan0011E.png
BSTA

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu May 25, 2017 8:20 pm UTC

It's really treeish to see them all on the page like that, balthartist!

Cue, stop beUNG so pessimistic:

For the grapenewpagevine, sea grapes:

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri May 26, 2017 1:04 am UTC

If I necro the Birds and Dinosaurs thread to post this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNJE6t6fZE
will the mods be annoyed or amused?
Agatha the Awesomeful

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri May 26, 2017 3:37 am UTC

ggh you necropostiac :P

I've never heard of sea grapes before!

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am UTC

New OtherComic.

And
OTTers sharing grapes.
Image courtesy of muddystilettos.co.uk

I think they would find it amusing.
Treeish picture of the uncut frames b.
Wait For It.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am UTC

D'aww cute waterottermolpies.
Some things might be worth being a necropostiac for, ggh, when they're treeish like that!

Gingercat wrote:I've never heard of sea grapes before!

I had but for some reason I was thinking of them as a species of grape that grew on beaches rather than a plant in the buckwheat family.

First sightUNG of Squirpy!

Image . . .Image
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np1617

Postby mscha » Fri May 26, 2017 12:10 pm UTC

XUNGU...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by dawnfire.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:THE WHITE ZONE IS FOR IMMEDIATE THWAPPING AND UNTHWAPPING OF DILGUNNERPUNSAWS ONLY. THERE IS NO UNBASEMENTING IN THE RED ZONE.

-- posted by oldpixbot

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 pm UTC

Did we ever figure out what kind of tree the squirpytree was, and what fruit/nuts the squirpy was eatUNG?

Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mrob27

1190: Time: THE COMFY CHAIR. IT WORKS, CH**RPIES.

Postby mrob27 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:31 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Actually, I hadn't figured out anything about the actual script, and so had nothing to share. I did get the impression that ggh might be on to it (I don't remember what gave me the clue), and immediately wrote a chapter in AotC hinting at that, ending in a cliffhanger an opportunity to Wait For It. If I was wrong, I could take the story in a different direction. But, as it happened, I hit gold.

You're not addressing the time period at issue. Your mention of @ggh in Scene 50, could rightly be called a "cliffhanger" inasmuch as you might not have known (yet) who the "mystery author" was.
  But your use of the word "Texaco" in the following chapter, Act 3, scene 22 (on 2016 April 22nd, 22:58 UTC) proves that by that time you did know that @taixzo was the creator of t-1.
  Similarly, in this post (April 10th at 12:53 UTC) @ggh's statement "Not radioactive. ᴐ̇ᒽˀ .lᴐ̄" which transliterates to /baio.ulm/, together this photo of bioluminescence in La Jolla, CA, USA, proves that @ggh knew the transliteration key at or before the time of the following post (5 1/2 hours later). Since the transliteration is the key to knowing who the mystery author is, @ggh also knew by that time that @taixzo was the author.
  And of course @taixzo knew that @taixzo was the creator of t-1 as soon as @taixzo started creating t-1.
  So the events in proper sequence are:

• On or before the first frame of t-1, (OTT:2369:7, 2015 Sep 13th), is when @taixzo knew.
  • OTT:2465:21 (2016 April 10th) is when @ggh knew,
  • OTT:2471:30 (2016 April 22nd) is when @ucim knew,
  • OTT:2476:20 (2016 May 2nd) is when @karhell asked "who figured out what, how, and when", and
  • OTT:2477:0 (2016 May 3rd) is when @ggh shared the transliteration key and told us that "Image is taixzo"; and this is when it became possible to read the earlier clues that made it clear that others apart from @taixzo knew as early as April 10th.

In particular, @ucim knew before it was made public.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 27, 2017 2:24 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:You're not addressing the time period at issue. Your mention of @ggh in Scene 50, could rightly be called a "cliffhanger" inasmuch as you might not have known (yet) who the "mystery author" was.
  But your use of the word "Texaco" in the following chapter, Act 3, scene 22 (on 2016 April 22nd, 22:58 UTC) proves that by that time you did know that @taixzo was the creator of t-1.

I suspected ggh had figured something out. However, I hadn't figured anything out myself, and did not know what the "something" might be. I also don't remember what gave me the hint, but in any case, I took the chance and wrote her into the narrative: She had been hinting in the thread (hints I think I missed, unless they were working subliminally), and she was about to come out with her solution, but just at that moment, I posted AotC Scene 50 (19 Innocence, or Apr 12), and she thought maybe I had a better reveal in mind.

She then told me what she had figured out, figuring that I had also figured it out and figured out that she had figured it out. But I hadn't. I just suspected that she knew.... something. Something that would make good story material. But when she wrote me, I then knew that she knew, and taixzo had given the ok to reveal.

So, now that I was up to speed (no credit at all to my cryptographic abilities), I could put together a fun reveal: Act 3 Scene 22 (1 Departure, or Apr 22). "Texaco" would let taixzo know, and might be tantalizing to others. So, not quite a cliffhanger in this one, but still a conspicuous loose thread, which would let me stretch the story out even more, and combine it with Gingercat's Glorious Arrival into the Present (on 10 Innocence, and the Pope's missing the Dawn of Time). But, there was another Blitzer arriving too, yet to be revealed (Ember, on 3 Innocence). I got to wrap the ggh story up in the next part (Chapter 52) (9 Departure, or Apr 30) ("She's very good at what she does!") as preparations were being made at the Great Cathedral, and in doing so, complete the reveal. ggh said it was "some fiercely hard waiting" and "What a payoff for waiting for it though", so I think it was quite successful.

Sometimes the way things develop, one has to choose between one path and another path, and each choice by necessity leaves the other behind. And oftentimes, one does not know the path that was chosen until one is well underway on it. We can do anything, but we can't do everything. To reveal, and take the one path.... to not reveal, and take the other path.... both paths are molpish, but are molpish in a different way.

I don't think that there is any loss of community-solving in the thread; just the endish drift to the basement that reduces mass below critical. But even that... I had feared for BlitzGirl when she got trapped, but following the First Commandment paid off. People keep coming back, even if briefly. We'll be here and molpish for a long Time... for a hundred years and for a hundred centuries.... you could come here after a thousand lifetimes and this community will still be here, welcoming you and everyone else.

Smopu hvala nuvie dicti amuah!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat May 27, 2017 2:37 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:I've never heard of sea grapes before!

There are even sea grape molpies whose scientific name is quite RELATED.
Spoiler:
It's a...
Molgula Molgula Molgula Molgula
Sea Grape Sea Grape
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mrob27

1190: Time: MY C**KIE IS PROBLEMATIC.

Postby mrob27 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 am UTC

ucim wrote:I suspected ggh had […]

That's wowterful. Thanks @ucim for a completely consistent explanation!
  Up until now it was seeming like everyone was denying having communicated privately until after Act 3 Scene 22. Maybe it was just because no-one understood which chapter of AotC I was referring to.
  I do actually like the delayed reveal through Acts of the Clerics, rather then just blurting out the answer straight away. It would have enabled you to double-check the translation/decoding if you wished, making it less likely that mistakes were made during a long effort into the wee nopix of the mornip.
  There's also quite molpish precedent for temporal shenanigans and the blending of reality and fiction, such as when @BlitzGirl was asked to change her avatar prior to when she reached the appearance of la Petite in frame 799. I just think it's good to be honest about it afterwards.
  Right, so this means that the Puzzles and Mysteries wiki page can have an entry on t-1, and it can credit @ggh solely with solving the mystery of authorship. Also I think it should mention the hidden frames (i.e. every frame contained two frames, and whoever figured all that out, and @balthasar_s providing an online interface to view the colour frames). Moving on to that…

ggh wrote: I think it would be fantastic to have solved puzzles documented on the wiki! (especially the one you mentioned, because I missed or forgot that somehow and wondered about it.) Oh please do! It doesn't even need to be a new section - we could keep them together with the unsolved ones in the current section, but maybe add a tag to each entry? - hold on… okay… done - now there are coloured words to indicate solvedness.

That's wonderful too! The colour-coded words "solved", "partly solved", etc. are a stroke of genius. That means we're free to put things in whatever order makes sense, like the categories you've created. I'll go ahead and add the bit I was proposing (about my own bOTTeriada stories). It goes in the OTT section, I think?

ucim wrote:Smopu hvala nuvie dicti amuah!

Um, kani li hala? . . . Hmmm, hey, there's a nuvie form of "nuvi", and a dicti form of "dict". Singular forms, I guess. I'll have to think about adding those to AUTOMOME. Which one means "seaishly molpish"? (at present, none of those five words, translated in Scene 33, is in AUTOMOME at all, except that I have NUVI as a present-tense Helper!-word for BRADVA.

mrob27 Image

!Hey I think I found something in @ggh's Wally image!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:There are even sea grape molpies whose scientific name is quite RELATED.
Spoiler:
It's a...
Sea Grape Sea Grape
What a great find! (or, you knew that already, didn't you?)

I'd be worried about the current BSTA newtitle:
[09:25:45]
>Stop being the guy_
if I didn't vaguely recall something about "Be the other guy", but now I can't find it. Did I dream it?

Heh, I just stumbled on this old comment of mine:
ggh wrote:If that guy is B, maybe he's really H. And if he's H, maybe he's HES. We should find out what the hamply thinks!
On the other hand, if that guy is B, he may really be B flat. That would explain bflataltbasar's dream.
Seems more appropriate now. The bike ist kaputt because of a musical notation mistranslation.

ETA:
You must be a stealth-ninja mrob, because I didn't realize you posted before me for hours! It's great to have something marked green on that Puzzles and Mysteries page now. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

svenman

Postby svenman » Sat May 27, 2017 8:50 am UTC

ReturnUNG to grapevines (and also fulfillONG decree):
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Hi everymolpy!

I'm currently dealing with a lot of outside, of which my current and still fairly new FFS is only a part. I still try to avoid the basement for the time being but am sitting on a lot of bottled-up ketchup which I hope to be able to release sometime soon.

Nevertheless, I recently hinted at the possibility of a song ottification and I want to share at least that with you now.

In fact, the recent talk of ottifying a whole album made me think of trying to at least ottify three scenes from a mini-musical. The title suggested itself immediately: The Girl With the French Beret. Of the three songs, one practically ottified itself with little effort, for one I have some ideas but need to work on it some more, and with the third I haven't really gotten anywhere yet, so I'd need to spend some serious Tim on that project if I ever am to complete it. But, as I mentioned, lots of outside, so yeah.

Now like Palette-Swap Ninja, I could make you all follow the first commandment for yips until I have the complete project finished, but I find it more molpish to share with you now at least the one complete ottification I have so far. Here it is:

I Wonder (Departure by Raftcastle)
(based on "I Wonder (Departure)" by ABBA)

Spoiler:
This beach and this castle, our camp where we live
Everyone dear, can they stay here
If all that water keeps rising?
My parents got married, had children, a yurt
It sounds so nice, well-planned and wise
Never expecting surprises

I wonder, it's frightening
More and more, the sea is rising
I wonder, it scares me
But I'll be ch*rped if I can't keep us safe and dry
I am not stupid
Oh no, I am smart
This raft from a castle
Yes we can ride it, it's just the start

My friends and my family, this scavenging tribe
Rivers I've swum, boys acting dumb
Everything old and familiar

I wonder, it's frightening
More and more, the sea is rising
I wonder, it scares me
But I'll be ch*rped if I can't keep us safe and dry
I am not stupid
Oh no, I am smart
This raft from a castle
Yes we can ride it...
Yes we can ride it, it's just the start
[Edit: One line in lyrics changed]
[Edit 2: grammar, outside of song lyrics]
[Edit 3: another word in the lyrics changed]
Last edited by svenman on Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 27, 2017 9:37 am UTC

ggh wrote:
I'd be worried about the current BSTA newtitle:
>Stop being the guy_
if I didn't vaguely recall something about "Be the other guy", but now I can't find it. Did I dream it?
You did not (unless it's a collective hallucination).
Oh, the other guy. No, that's only you (though my memory isn't the most reliable one).

ggh wrote:
kaputt
Funny. We learned this word just last week, and now it's used in the OTT for the first tin in 4 yips.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 27, 2017 9:55 am UTC

You might have tipped the balance on my kaputt, Aluísio, with your recent German usage over at DnD.
You started Tim, eh?

I am waiting to be alone before I bring up the music for that otty, svenman. Sometimes going to youtube leads to ceding the sand....
Agatha the Awesomeful

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Sat May 27, 2017 12:34 pm UTC

Here, I'll look it up for you.
*listens to song*
That is very well done, I c***t wait to see the next ones.

Grapevine garland
Meanwhile: grapeUng
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat May 27, 2017 2:40 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I'd be worried about the current BSTA newtitle:
>Stop being the guy_

Ha! Here it is! Leftmost tab.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 27, 2017 3:06 pm UTC

Glad to unripple the twirly of Time for you, mrob27! Be careful though; Time is a funny thing. If it's not twirly rippled, people start making rectilinear assumptions, and we already know what can happen then!

Btw, The post you linked, where BlitzGirl was given a beret for her avatar, contains the following heresy from this post
PhoenixRising wrote:...since afaik nobody else is reading the entire thread...
PhoenixRising (and Selcouth) became the very next BlitzGirls, launching Acts of the Clerics itself. The Chocolate Chapel is being prepared for the Holy Sacrament that has become necessary, and the Summoning Circle chants have begun.

The gridded v ersion of FindTheOTTers is molpishly molpish! I see I'm not in the Found OTTers list, so the Pope I thought might have been me must not have been. I'm going to have to go back to the sixties. (Wait - I'm in my sixties - is that a Holy Contradiction? Only my hairdresser knows for sure!). And an entire fourth army! - that's wowterfully steakish! I'm going to have to go ahead and compare the two... after I've had some more solo looks around though. I suppose if there is more than one way to Time, there's also more than one way to Seek.

mrob27 wrote:Hmmm, hey, there's a nuvie form of "nuvi", and a dicti form of "dict".
Well, it's a randomly chaotically inflected language, so this should be no surprise. I'm implying the sense of plurality and eternity (with the 'i' and 'e' modifications). "We will all always be deeply honored to be in each other's presence" is probably a fair English translation, though the details of the grammar of the Ancient Tongue is pretty much lost to history. Perhaps we can ask the female radio announcer? She seems to have a handle on it.

Wowterful and touching OTTy svenman! Also an ABBA song whose style is totally unfamiliar and unexpected. I'm eagerly causing irk upon the full width justifications in anticipation of the next one!

Jose

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”