1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:38 am UTC

ucim wrote:Thanks for the donuts... but I can't help notice that JuneBug's twin punsaw has her escaping, and me not. Hmmmm....

I hadn't noticed that. Maybe the punsaw catches up with me just offscreen.

ucim wrote:And thanks for the round number notice - are donuts round numbers? Or only if they are sung?

Hm, good question I think the answer to that is Image :twisted:

Wishing everyone a most molpish and wowterful TIme-iversary! And it is made all the sweeter by an appearance from Blitzgirl, and with a beautiful poem. (And by Zooman's cake. :) ) And I got a happy Time-iversary text from balthafriend. This most joyous occasion is an excellent time to reflect on all of the wonderful gifts Time has given me--the poems, the puns (and punsaws), the artwork, stories, laughter, learning, and happiness. And awesomeful friends, several of whom I've gotten to meet IRL. Many of those people are still active here, some are not (though I can always hope they'll return!) Here's to six more yips, and six more after than, and...

Happy 9000 to BlitzGirl, and happy 10100 to addams. What a prolific pair you are!

BlitzGirl wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:"Welcome back"?
Didn't the OTT have a special version of it?
"Welcome forward"?
No, that would be silly.
"Welcome bag"?
Yeah, that must be it.
Probably.

...Is that a Image pun? From balthactualFFS? Surely things haven't changed that much! I like reading your words too, balthasilly, but if you've gone down the punning path I will have no choice but to deploy donuts...or worse!

You see, this is why you have to stay out of the Basement. Punning runs amok without you here to help keep it in check!

ETA: Page Pope! Two decrees:

1) Continue to celebrate the Time-iversary (Timiversary, Timeversary, etc.)
2) Stay out of the Basement! It is an unmolpish place. :evil:
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:but if you've gone down the punning path I will have no choice but to deploy donuts...or worse!
You are right. The punning path is a dangerous path. Let's not go there.

The mscha.org page seems to believe it is from a halfmip in the Future so I don't know how accurate the sequence is
Look here:
http://mrob.com/time/epilogue-sequence.txt

Also here: http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=57451

You might also be interested in my notes from decoding the sequences:
  1. 4289936
  2. 4290159
  3. 4290354
  4. 4290711
  5. 4291337
  6. 4291564
  7. 4293613
  8. 4296461
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:16 am UTC

Yes, thank you balthasquare! That's just what I needed. That last post about how you got to epilogueworld is particularly fascinating to me, even if I don't quite understand all the (mathy stuff) in it. And mrob's page indicates that my pattern is about half a set off of where it should have been, which I find ironic, because that means the epilogue poem I named after the epilogue poems actually has the most epiloguemustard in the pattern.

ReclinONG:

I've been thinking about Megan's choice here, and I've been wondering how comfortable lying in the coffeecancerbacononice really is. How gritty is that stuff? Lying on a beach is not always that comfortable, and once the elevated platform is elevated, Megan chooses to nap there instead of down by the Sandcastle, despite the fact that the platform appears to have no cushioning whatsoever.

lmjb1964 wrote:You see, this is why you have to stay out of the Basement. Punning runs amok without you here to help keep it in check!

What a state of affairs! I'd better go find my punsaw — best to be prepared.
Now, where did I leave that...?
Aha!

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 am UTC

Happy time-iversary wishes from the basement!

I'm afraid I haven't even been lurking lately, but it feels good to see the thread is still at the top of threads. And I do think of y'all now and then.

Main family news is that Medium-Sized Daughter, 17, has decided to grow up. She will attend a school in south Spain for one year (from September this year to May 2020). Apparently, there are enough Swedes living there to operate a Swedish-speaking school. But she will live with a Spanish host family.

It seems it was only ten or twelve years ago that her career choice was to become a princess. Time passes. I am not much worried about how she will cope abroad; I am more worried that the rest of the family will get on each other's nerves without her sunny presence. On the other hand, it was always a possibility that she would leave our hometown after finishing school (2 1/2 years from now). Maybe, after one year in Spain, she will miss Gothenburg so much that she will stay here after school.

Cheerio!
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:the epilogue poem I named after the epilogue poems
?
lmjb1964 wrote:you have to stay out of the Basement
Is this the decree?
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 am UTC

Happy OTTiversary, molpies! I OTTified to celebrate:

Spoiler:
451-hobby.png
Too easy.
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:33 pm UTC

Image Hi mikrit! Best wishes to your daughter who's leaving the nest!
Treeish ottification, Minim! (I really missed seeing all the awesomeful ottifcations by everymolpy when I was basemented.)

balthasar_s wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:the epilogue poem I named after the epilogue poems
?

Oh, the poem's title is "Epilogue."

balthasar_s wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:you have to stay out of the Basement
Is this the decree?

Sounds like one to me!

Meanwhile, Megan needs a salONG appointment:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 pm UTC

Blitzgirl is back! Yay! And mikrit too. I can attest that it is difficult, but possible to have one's child travel far for school. One of mine spent a semester in ED- and SA- land. The time difference complicated that a bit.

Also, while my interview seemed wowterfallish to me, that appears to have not been mutual. They did have the courtesy to send a rejection email though.

The search continues, as it must.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 pm UTC

Hello, mikrit! Wishing MSD a happy time in Spain, but not so happy she decides to stay there. :)

TheMinim, that is an awesomeful OTTification.

SBN, I'm so sorry to hear that the interview did not have the desired result. I hope the next place you interview has more sense.

BlitzGirl, I never thought about it before, butMegan does look kind of uncomfortable. You'd think she would have put a towel or blanket down. Especially with the lack of clothes. :shock:

You helped Addams stay in her home, and gave her a better life. She thanks you, and so do I.
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 pm UTC

Hej mikrit!

Better luck next time, SBN.

A sandcastle appearUNG:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Recently I stumbled across an OTTercomic in my files which I had made some time ago, but not posted yet, and then forgotten about for a while. This seems like a good opportunity to finally post it:

Awkwardly redundant
Spoiler:
Image based on xkcd comic 1976 "Friendly Questions" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

Image based on xkcd comic 1364 "Like I'm Five" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

xkcd1976_otter_questions.png
xkcd1364_redundancy_like_im_five.png
xkcd1364_redundancy_like_im_five.png (23.86 KiB) Viewed 14333 times
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 pm UTC

Image Happy Timeversary, everymolpy! Image

Welcome forward, BlitzGirl, Sciscitor and mikrit! Image
And congratulations on 9000 posts, BlitzGirl! Image

Awesomeful OTTifications, TheMinim and svenman! :)

SBN, I'm wishing you the best luck on your WFFS hunt! Image

For decree: I'm not basemented. Just busy drawing. Image
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: 6 years of "Time"

Postby Sustainabilizer » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

Happy Timeversary from me, too!

I see molpish things happening in the OTT. Best wishes to y'all!
(No Time to go into detail, sorry. Must save the Internet …)

SANDBURGBETRACHTUNG¹…
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

big: sand castle watching. In German, you can construct words of arbitrary length by joining them.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:14 am UTC

Steakish OTThercomics, svenman!
And treeish OTThercomic, TheMinim!
For Corinne:
Spoiler:
Happy Timiversary! Image
New OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:36 am UTC

Well, looks like I just managed to make it in before the Timeversary continued on to the next dix! The entire yip is a Timeversary! Molpish to see all the celebrating, and I'll be back again once I have my condiments! But with all this molpyberry wine, I'm not sure how coherent I'll be!

Wheeeeeee!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

BlitzGirl

(This is how I visualized Jose's post above)

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:45 am UTC

Awesomeful OTTercomicking, svenman. And its redundacomic is perfect. Image
Seas of luck for your WFFS search, SBN! Molpy on!
Ooh, I'm looking forward to more SilentTimer drawings. :)
Have fun saving the internet, Sustainabilizer! I'm sure we all appreciate that effort!

lmjb1964 wrote:BlitzGirl, I never thought about it before, butMegan does look kind of uncomfortable. You'd think she would have put a towel or blanket down. Especially with the lack of clothes. :shock:

Indeed. There are all kinds of places you don't want semencustardstarsandmustardbabiesonice to get into...
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Gingercat

Re: (This is how I visualized Jose's post above)

Postby Gingercat » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:06 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed. There are all kinds of places you don't want semencustardstarsandmustardbabiesonice to get into...

Yes, if it gets into your threads it might stain!
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

Sustainabilizer

Re: Saving the Internet

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Have fun saving the internet, Sustainabilizer! I'm sure we all appreciate that effort!

Unfortunately, we lost.

Spoilered for extreme **dishness:
Spoiler:
Today, at about 12:55h, the EU Copyright Directive passed the EU Parliament without modification. That means that in about 2 years at the latest, EU-based Internet platforms will be legally required to operate upload filters, i.e. to censor all uploads. (For details, see, for instance, copyrightframework.eu.) This initiates The End of the free Internet, at least in Europe.

Unfortunately this is not an exaggeration. As a professor for <computery stuff> I know how the Internet works. The politicians who created this new law don't. They don't understand the extent of what they sacrificed for filling the pockets of some big collecting societies. They fooled the artists to believe that it was on their behalves. They ignored over 5 millions of signatures against that law and insulted those who stood up against it as being a “mob”, or “bots”, or, after over 150000 people went on the street, as “bought demonstrants”. Now everyone will lose. Freedom will lose.

Maybe I shouldn't be sad about The End, but happy that I experienced a Time of freedom, where beautiful things like the OTT could emerge. Thank you, OTT and the whole Internet, for that gift!

I'll stay here as long as legally possible.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Help for addams completed successfully. Thanks!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:32 pm UTC

Gingercat wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Indeed. There are all kinds of places you don't want semencustardstarsandmustardbabiesonice to get into...

Yes, if it gets into your threads it might stain!

That...that looks kind of punny... Image

Sustainabilizer wrote:Spoilered for extreme **dishness:
Spoiler:
Today, at about 12:55h, the EU Copyright Directive passed the EU Parliament without modification. That means that in about 2 years at the latest, EU-based Internet platforms will be legally required to operate upload filters, i.e. to censor all uploads. (For details, see, for instance, copyrightframework.eu.) This initiates The End of the free Internet, at least in Europe.

Unfortunately this is not an exaggeration. As a professor for <computery stuff> I know how the Internet works. The politicians who created this new law don't. They don't understand the extent of what they sacrificed to fill the pockets of some big collecting societies. They fooled the artists to believe that it was on their behalf. They ignored over 5 millions of signatures against that law. They insulted over 150000 demonstrants all over Europe of being mobbed-up by big corporations. Now everyone will lose. Freedom will lose.

Maybe I shouldn't be sad about The End, but happy that I experienced a Time of freedom, where beautiful things like the OTT could emerge. Thank you, OTT and the whole Internet, for that gift!

Ch*rping m*stard. I'm truly sorry to hear that, Sustainabilizer.

However! As we have learned, there is always room for something more after The End. Even if it takes 11,000 yips or so, I'm hopeful that endish things created by unmolpish actors, things like this, eventually fall to more truthful, open discourse. It might take some battles with raptorcats, and it sucks steambottles in the meanTime, but even the sharpest Sadness can pass with enough hard work by good people.

Take a castlecreatUNG Megan as a sign of the industrious molpishworld-building spirit:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 pm UTC

CollaboratUNG:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 am UTC

That's an interesting newpix, because Megan gazes out over the Sea for a couple of pix and then leaves Cue to work on this castle alone. Then Cueball builds alone, and the frame lingers on this (right side of the) sandcastle through the age of the slow pixel, then we get the zoom-and-pan to the full view of the Sandcastle with Cuegan at work. So this gaze out over the Sea by Megan actually initiates the construction on the left side of the Sandcastle.

...This is assuming, of course, that the left side of the castle didn't already exist prior to the start of the OTC.

Redundant:
Spoiler:

ZoomedOutNewpix1.png
ZoomedOutNewpix1.png (6.43 KiB) Viewed 13053 times

Keywords: BGUM zoom pan one 0001 first newpix frame edge beyond expansion begin start
ReturnRedundakitty.png
ReturnRedundakitty.png (186.62 KiB) Viewed 13053 times
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 am UTC

Hi folks, just passing by (two days later than scheduledPe>65) to say I'm still alive, and to report that there seems to be some sort of looping corridor in the basement. Also, the ketchup on the floor makes all the more difficult to go anywhere.

BlitzGirl wrote:...This is assuming, of course, that the left side of the castle didn't already exist prior to the start of the OTC.
We thought we were witness of the beginning, when in fact the beginning [TODO: find some philosophical realization to put here]

Love y'all (are still around).

Pe<70: In my defense, I did check the OTT a day before the anniversary as well, planning to write something the following day.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 am UTC

Hi Aluisio!
Treeish manip, BlitzGirl! That could be a neat segway for the loopists...
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:22 am UTC

It is a bit Loopish, isn't it? That theory might also explain why the leftcastle already has three flags installed by the first Time we see it, while we watch Megan plant the three additional flags on the rightcastle.

AluisioASG wrote:Love y'all (are still around).

Likewise! Nice to see you, Aluisio!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:25 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

(Referencing the Othercomic)

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:16 am UTC

Oh no, I think the Cueganites forgot their corn meal bushels. All 320 of them.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 am UTC

Hello. I am back. I am amazed this has in some form lasted so long.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:26 am UTC

Started another real-time read through of the OTT, and am rediscovering a couple things:

--One of our favorite memes is the goat of NP49

--It is amazing how early the neologism "newpix" came into being, and how naturally it was adopted.

--On the steambottlish side, some of the early chronicles of the OTC are lost, including the Book of Aubron.

Rosewinsall wrote:Hello. I am back. I am amazed this has in some form lasted so long.

Oh hey! I just saw you back in the past.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 am UTC

Welcome back, Rosewinsall! Thanks for stopping by for a visit!
Because you were here at the beginning of Time, let's see what you posted during this exact newpix back when it first aired.
ReminiscONG (this was still pre-ONG, I think)...

Rosewinsall wrote:
the end of the newpix arrives in 1/15 of a newpic

Ah. So close!
But that was a reasonable guess, back then.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:20 am UTC

qong?

i don't know if i'm going to keep doing that

(first qong where the Q is for Quaerendae instead of Quelouva, for the first six essays:
Against Fideism,
Against Transcendentalism,
Against Nihilism,
Against Cynicism,
Commensurablism, and
Metaphilosophy).
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

balthasar_s

2018 was the last year of the future?

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:41 am UTC

I asked:
balthasar_s wrote:But a question now appears:
WHY is the Earth and all the planets moving in circles around the sun? (or around each other with the moons)

Newton answers the questiong:
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Everything is gravity!
Newton, wacth out! behind you!
Molp is slowly moving forward. doesn't care about flying apples.
Water is evaporating.

So now we arrive at a gravity theory which is good enough to explain what we see in everyday life.
So,
what's next, I wonder.
BSTA

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1277

Postby mscha » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:00 am UTC

JARRONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by pelrigg.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:WIPEND IS THE NEW KEYBOARDY-SMASHITUDE

-- posted by randompixbot

patzer

Postby patzer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:43 pm UTC

just popping in to say, happy timeversary!

6 yips. Wow.

It's nice to see this thread still going :)
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:44 pm UTC

It's the time of the yip again, isn't it?

Happy Timey-wimey-versary, everyone!

And hello to all fellow basementies! And those outside the basement too, of course!

I'm lurking now from time to time since I really enjoy the phys-ONGs. It's funny how slow the original Time seemed and now this which is ONGing only twice a wip and it somehow doesn't seem any slower. Is it because I'm older? Is it because TIME taught me how to wait for it? Is it because I'm not checking the OTT every few minutes anymore?

Sustainabilizer wrote:Spoilered for extreme **dishness:
Spoiler:

Unfortunately this is not an exaggeration. As a professor for <computery stuff> I know how the Internet works. The politicians who created this new law don't. They don't understand the extent of what they sacrificed for filling the pockets of some big collecting societies. They fooled the artists to believe that it was on their behalves. They ignored over 5 millions of signatures against that law and insulted those who stood up against it as being a “mob”, or “bots”, or, after over 150000 people went on the street, as “bought demonstrants”. Now everyone will lose. Freedom will lose.

This has upset me very much as well.

RIP free World Wide Web as we knew it
*1989 ✝2019

It's been a pleasure growing up together.

I still don't know what to expect. FiltersSieves everywhere? Even the places like this forums? Woll-did the An True Needle-Pulled Thing even be possible if the baddest interpretation be-did to be put into effect?
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:37 pm UTC

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:18 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:Unfortunately, we lost.
Spoilered for extreme **dishness

This is not good news at all.
Also spoilered for compatibility with original post
Spoiler:
I do not like the direction the world is going.

And,
doing it against the will AND interest of people.
kind of makes you doubt in this thing called democracy
in europe

(side note, these days I saw another thing which made me disappointed about how EU works,
https://youtu.be/lzigiPUXNzI - it's in Polish but has English subtitles available - about how some EU votings look like)

What is bad about this is not only how it will affect Europe now.
but also that it can spread further:
  1. Other places in the world can now try similar things because "it already works in Europe and they're happy about it"
  2. it can be followed by next things which leave the internet in an even worse situation.
What I'm also afraid of and don't want to happen is that some day we will no longer have "THE internet" but just "AN internet" because there will no longer one single internet for the whole world.

Also, kind of, it seems strange that the internet how it is now was able to be like this for so long.
It was a good time.

but

even in such situation I still hope the future can bring us some good things.
that the world can go towards a better future again.

People have survived worse times in history and they have ended finally.
So we will continue to try to live our lifes the best way we can.

Also, laws can be changed.
There will be new EU elections, soon.
We will be in a new situation, then.
And if not
Maybe later they will notice that this doesn't work actually and will change it then.

Also, are all other ways to unhappen this already closed or are there still some left?
From what I heard today,
before the voting on the directive,
there was voting if to consider amendments.
and the result was "no" but by a small difference (5 votes only)
and later 13 voters reported they voted incorrectly, which would change the result.
And if amendments were accepted it would be possible to remove/change the bad articles by separate votings.
Will something happen because of this?

So, what now?
Spoiler:
What effect will it have on us?
Indirectly, it's what Sustainabilizer already said:
"EU-based Internet platforms will be legally required to operate upload filters, i.e. to censor all uploads."
this is however not limited to the EU because it's the internet and:
  • EU-based platforms (affected by this law) are also accessible outside EU
  • not-EU based platforms (not affected by this law) are also accessible inside EU

I wonder what means that a platform is "EU-based"?
  • the business that runs the platform is registered in the EU?
  • servers are located in the EU?
  • any of the above?
  • both of the above?
I wonder how many platforms will relocate their servers outside EU and continue to live without this new law.

But, can this affect us more directly?
What is an "EU-based Internet platform"?
An online forum,
Is it a platform affected by this law or not?
It too is a platform on which people can upload their content which can include copyrighted things, through text, attachments, links, etc.
Is an online forum also responsible for ensuring that no copyright-violating content can be uploaded (automatically - by AI and filters, or manually - by moderators)?
We are a thread on such a forum.
It is not located in EU,
but my copy of it, the ott mirror, is.
It can also be treated as a platform where people can upload things indirectly by posting them to the real OTT.

Luckily, from the wikipedia page I see that the article 13 (now 17) targets only commercial platforms working for profit.

Otherwise it probably wouldn't be possible for me to continue running an unchanged mirror from a server in my home, in Poland, in EU.

Sustainabilizer wrote: and insulted those who stood up against it as being a “mob”, or “bots”
Imagebothasar_s wrote:What's wrong about being a bot? :wink:

ETA: also EU-related somehow:
Before BSTA started.
I made some post with "something is no yes".
Time for explanation.
This is "coś jest nie tak" incorrectly translated on purpose.
(there are other bad translation memes in Poland, like "with English behind mister brother", "yes cannons slow town square", "a hole killed by desks", "I'll tell it without small garden")
coś - something
jest - is
nie - no
tak - yes.
but "nie" also means "not" and "tak" not only means "yes" but is also means "like this" and some other meanings.
In this case "nie tak" is the beginning of something like "nie tak, jak powinno być" (not like it should be).
So instead on "something is no yes" it would mean more like "something is not right".
I was reminded of this when watching this brexit parody: https://youtu.be/Adl7O6DWQSs,
there you can see for a moment see Donald Tusk saying "something is not yes".
People were making fun of him learning English,
but that was not fair because he did actually a good job of learning English.
Anyway, I liked the words "something is no yes" so I used them.

ETAA:
speaking of internets and servers and stuff.
I recently bought another Cubieboard, which I will soon use to build a second server at my home (in my basement, actually).
Its main purpose will be redundancy:
redundant copy of all data from the original server and from my computers.
To not lose anything if something happens to any of them.

ETAAA:
Writing this post took me longer than expected. It's Friday already (I started when it was still Thursday) I should do a molpy down now.
BSTA

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 am UTC

Image Hi patzer!
It's awesomeful to see everybody molping by recently.

FlagremovONG:

NewtONG wrote:An orbit is just a special case of falling.

Falling in circles. Sounds like a Cueish way to fall. Image

balthasar_s wrote:Anyway, I liked the words "something is no yes" so I used them.

That's treeish; I really like how the visual contradiction of the words ("no yes") echoes the thought behind the intentional mistranslation.

Pfhorrest wrote:eong?

I know very little about what is being described (that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like) but I find the descriptions very soothing to read, particularly the "architecture and texture design" section. Are you by chance the Bob Ross of first-person shooter game mods?

NoMouse wrote:It's funny how slow the original Time seemed and now this which is ONGing only twice a wip and it somehow doesn't seem any slower. Is it because I'm older? Is it because TIME taught me how to wait for it? Is it because I'm not checking the OTT every few minutes anymore?

Makes sense with Time – after all, from a nonlinear, nonsubjective viewpoint it's like a big ball of wibblywobbly timeywimey stuff.
To use the technical description.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:30 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:eong?

I know very little about what is being described (that's what the first part of understanding everything looks like) but I find the descriptions very soothing to read, particularly the "architecture and texture design" section. Are you by chance the Bob Ross of first-person shooter game mods?

If I wasn't before, I am now that you've called me that.

happy little trees

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:35 pm UTC

Image Image Image

NoMouse wrote:It's funny how slow the original Time seemed and now this which is ONGing only twice a wip and it somehow doesn't seem any slower. Is it because I'm older? Is it because TIME taught me how to wait for it? Is it because I'm not checking the OTT every few minutes anymore?

Oh, I forgot to add, I read an article this wip about the perception of Time in a recent study that seemed quite RELATED. To summarize, the more images our brain takes in on a particular subject, the slower Time seems to move. So in terms of the OTT, the newpix-rich span would be perceived to last longer than it actually did, because there was so much information being processed. And the recent era of the OTT, with fewer (but still molpish) ONGs, would be perceived to pass much quicker by comparison.

Early OTT --> Image

OTTaT ------> Image

It seems counterintuitive at first, but it makes sense when you think of the brain as organized sand. When there's a lot of sand to organize, it takes longer to process everything. When there's less sand, the brain organizes it quicker and logs less processing Time, leaving a smaller footprint in your memory.

Trebuchet disorganizONG some sand:
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:54 am UTC

Oh chirp, I only gone and missed the Timeversary. Was busy molping about with band stuff. We were in Wales over the weekend playing at one of the UK's biggest metal festivals, Hammerfest. Was baobabish to see our name on the same lineup as the likes of Kamelot. KAMELOT! It's only a model. Shh.

And a new BlitzPoem! :D Wowterful! Molpish to see you again BlitzGirl! I have to wonder (because I'm too lazy to figure it out for myself) is the meter or something somehow dictated by the epilogue sequence or something clever like that?
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:26 am UTC

Holy waterottermolpies, it's a yappo! It's molpish to see you too!
Hammerfest sounds like fun; I imagine it was something like
Image Image Image Image

yappobiscuits wrote:I have to wonder (because I'm too lazy to figure it out for myself) is the meter or something somehow dictated by the epilogue sequence or something clever like that?

Nope! Not that clever, but I'm sure someone could derive a meter from the pattern if they wanted to. For me, the meter's just whatever sounds treeish in my head. There's usually an internal beat because I like rhymes, and the epilogue sequences are not always suitable to rhymish writing, so I stick in a sea of internal rhymes instead.

yappobiscuits wrote: KAMELOT! It's only a model. Shh.

Image Image Image
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”