1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

k.bookbinder

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Good mornix! Molpy up!

Huh. I must say, that tower looks a bit like an incomplete microwave tower. Also, the scaffolding on the outside strikes me as being wooden, not metal.

Edit: Oh uh, page Pope and all. Hm. I haven't even had my morninx coffee. Not really in a thinking Papal state. OK. more wild predictions about what else is on the mountain. Certainly there must be something else.
Last edited by k.bookbinder on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 am UTC

We should be done panning now, I assume. (Unless we keep panning to the right and leave Cuegan behind, of course.)
Quick note that Cuegan may not be moving much, but they are redrawn between frames, so Time is elapsing between frames. Megan is looking up in np2574, for instance.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

hajo

Postby hajo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:31 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I have revised my guess to mining equipment, as others have suggested, because of the wheel-shaped doohickey ... Wikipedia calls it a "headframe."

A mine shaft that close to a cliff strikes me as odd.
Maybe that tower is a lighthouse, or a fire lookout tower ?
Last edited by hajo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 am UTC

While educating myself on mining equipment I did wonder if any of our resident hatters would be taken by this idea...

wikipedia wrote:A recently erected steel headgear in the Zambian copper belt town of Chililabombwe at the Konkola number 4 shaft has a total height of 81 metres to the top of the maintenance crane rail, with the centre-line of the head sheaves at 71 metres above the collar, making it the highest steel headgear in Africa.

mikro2nd wrote:
xpatiate wrote:my decree is that you tell us what time-consuming activity you've given up in order to Wait for it.

Work. I've had to cut back on work.

:D Yep, I've found myself doing a lot of compiling lately (both actual and the kind in inverted commas). Funny how often the quick forum-check in between maven builds turns into some intrepid journey into the depths of wikipedia/youtube/madness. Mostly though I've given up on current events. Who care what's happening out there? We have two stick figures on a mountain with some indeterminate kind of structure of unknown origin to worry about! Also raptorcats!

mscha wrote:Quick note that Cuegan may not be moving much, but they are redrawn between frames, so Time is elapsing between frames. Megan is looking up in np2574, for instance.

So they're just standing there gazing in silence? I guess that wouldn't be unusual.

Flado
Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby Flado » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:45 am UTC

Eternal Density, on NP749, wrote:
mscha wrote:--snip (text to the effect of "here, take this animated avatar")--

--snip (many thanks to mscha for animating the avatar)--
-- diff current_avatar mschas_gif == 0 --
-- Signature --
Sciscitor: thanks for animating my avatar.

Am I missing something, Eternal Density? :shock:
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:45 am UTC

xpatiate wrote:While educating myself on mining equipment I did wonder if any of our resident hatters would be taken by this idea...

wikipedia wrote:A recently erected steel headgear in the Zambian copper belt town of Chililabombwe at the Konkola number 4 shaft has a total height of 81 metres to the top of the maintenance crane rail, with the centre-line of the head sheaves at 71 metres above the collar, making it the highest steel headgear in Africa.

Not a resident hatter, but do you mean something like this?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:51 am UTC

mscha wrote:We should be done panning now, I assume. (Unless we keep panning to the right and leave Cuegan behind, of course.)

Or it could zoom and pan, though GLR hasn't used such a technique before, so unlikely but possible.

xpatiate wrote:
mikro2nd wrote:
xpatiate wrote:my decree is that you tell us what time-consuming activity you've given up in order to Wait for it.

Work. I've had to cut back on work.

:D Yep, I've found myself doing a lot of compiling lately (both actual and the kind in inverted commas). Funny how often the quick forum-check in between maven builds turns into some intrepid journey into the depths of wikipedia/youtube/madness. Mostly though I've given up on current events. Who care what's happening out there? We have two stick figures on a mountain with some indeterminate kind of structure of unknown origin to worry about! Also raptorcats!

mscha wrote:Quick note that Cuegan may not be moving much, but they are redrawn between frames, so Time is elapsing between frames. Megan is looking up in np2574, for instance.

So they're just standing there gazing in silence? I guess that wouldn't be unusual.

Obviously, they're waiting for their code to compile...
Last edited by StormAngel on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:
mscha wrote:We should be done panning now, I assume. (Unless we keep panning to the right and leave Cuegan behind, of course.)
Quick note that Cuegan may not be moving much, but they are redrawn between frames, so Time is elapsing between frames. Megan is looking up in np2574, for instance.

Or it could zoom and pan, though GLR hasn't used such a technique before, so unlikely but possible.

Are you sure he hasn't? ;)
Spoiler:
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Oh, due to outside issues I missed the previous Papal Decree:
Mostly I save time by skipping my /. reading, although I have been making a few extra hours (without writing them down, so I will not get extra money for it) lately.

Current Papal Decree:
The structure on the mountain is the Giant Magellan Telescope. There they will meet scientists who were once looking at the stars, although there was also a secret research program there. When they analyzed a strange crystal artifact with an anti-mass spectrometer beam a dimensional rift opened. The alien/scientist hybrids will attack Quegan. Thus ends Time.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:05 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
StormAngel wrote:

Are you sure he hasn't? ;)
Spoiler:

Ok, well he [probably] hasn't since they started their journey, at least, not that I can remember.

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

BATerONG
The hash changed, but I can't see what else has, I don't have any fancy comparison tools...

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

xpatiate

Postby xpatiate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Not a resident hatter, but do you mean something like this?

Image Image Not what I was thinking of at all, but now that I've tried it on ... (poses in front of mirror) ... OK it's a little bit heavy, but it's so elegant and such a delightful contrast with my squidgy yellow face. I feel like a new duck! Thanks mscha!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

hajo wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I have revised my guess to mining equipment, as others have suggested, because of the wheel-shaped doohickey ... Wikipedia calls it a "headframe."

My first thought was fire tower. A lot of those abandoned even now. But the circle thing doesn't fit. It does seem more like a signaling device, though, with either sound or light. Interesting that there is no ladder to the top, so there may be a roof protecting a device.

Another thought I had is that this is an elevator to the underground section of Click and Drag. http://xkcd.com/1110/

[prediction] signaling device [/prediction]
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:BATerONG
Spoiler:

The hash changed, but I can't see what else has, I don't have any fancy comparison tools...

A shift of about 5 pixels, maybe the End-Of-Panning.
Dialogue incoming in 2 newpix.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:BATerONG
Spoiler:

According to the Previous frame difference on Geekhub it's a small shift to the right:

info.jpg
A small shift to the right
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: (Anyone?)

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:

Brilliant. :D

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

I am a bit concerned about the possible implication.

It all looks abandoned, both the house-like structure down and this tower-like structure up here. After the, well, bloody tie in the Megan vs. Catmolpy dogfight (hah), the reason for not climbing down but climbing up was the visible presence of human-built structure ... Hum. The ugly thing with PONORs is that you have to redefine them once you have to return.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

StormAngel

Re: Paula Bean

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
StormAngel wrote:Redundant:
Spoiler:

Brillant. :D

FTFY

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:Oh, due to outside issues I missed the previous Papal Decree:
Mostly I save time by skipping my /. reading, although I have been making a few extra hours (without writing them down, so I will not get extra money for it) lately.

Current Papal Decree:
The structure on the mountain is the Giant Magellan Telescope. There they will meet scientists who were once looking at the stars, although there was also a secret research program there. When they analyzed a strange crystal artifact with an anti-mass spectrometer beam a dimensional rift opened. The alien/scientist hybrids will attack Quegan. Thus ends Time.

Are you suggesting that they are currently standing on top of Black Mesa? Oh wait...it does appear that they are standing on top of A black mesa, so maybe it is THE Black Mesa. :shock:

Perhaps that is it! Perhaps this is some weird collaboration with Valve to announce the release of Half-Life 3. We've certainly been waiting long enough for that.

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

About 1 pixel more pannONG.

(“About”? Yes. Anti-aliased pixels are different – looks like the GLR does the panning on a higher resolution version, then resizes. I'm guessing about 0.9 pixels worth of panning.
What's next, 0.45 pixel? Then 0.225, and so on? Note that, unlike in Zeno's paradox, that'd mean that the panning will never end.)
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

StormAngel wrote:We don't know that this is the top of the mountain

Not sure I agree... from np2217 (geekwagon count)
so I'm guessing they really have reached the top.
Spoiler:
megan.png
megan.png (17.77 KiB) Viewed 10812 times
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:Just have to say I love the way that people are learning and developing new skills as a result of this experience - image manipulation, wiki editing, data analysis, software development, music composition. Thanks everybody for sharing the tools you use - I found all that stuff really interesting. And as a fellow diehard vim user I should also wave to Pikrass and Scisitor *waves*

*waves back*
Hey, let's build a Vim church, so that Emacs or butterflies users are kept away by our prayers!

ChronosDragon wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
ChronosDragon wrote:So...is it still the case that mods can be summoned by name? Like if I wanted to suggest bbcode for an alternative, less buggy spoiler that allows you to give it a title, I could just yell for "davean"? Or maybe that should be handled via PM.

I started to write a patch when the Great Webmaster came, but never finished it. The BBCode to HTML code is done, but the reverse code has yet to be written.
I figured I should try to include it in phpBB's code, to make his life easier, so I studied it a little, but not far enough.
I thought recently I should finish it soon, since I'm on holidays since this wip-end. But if anyone wants to do it before me, feel free.

Here's what I've done so far :
new-spoiler.zip

See, that may be overcomplicating things. My solution (which I've just realized actually doesn't nest properly - I'll have to modify it some. I only tested for if it completely breaks down the forum style :P ) is completely vanilla, just a different way of doing spoilers via the bbcodes tab on the administrator control panel. Your solution may address the underlying problem, though, which is potentially better.

Well, the problem beforehand is that the phpBB parser is ugly. You can produce non-compliant HTML code by switching the closing tags, because the parser don't correct it itself. With the spoiler and the quote tags, you can even break the whole layout! (because they both use the blockquote element)
This parser is based on plain regex replacements, and you can understand fairly easily why that can't do the job right. Each tag has its dedicated methods, and some of them implement a stack-based mechanism to handle nested tags. And they reinvent the wheel for each of these "special" tags. And they need dirty hacks, e.g. because they turn special characters into entities right at the beginning. And they use that horrible e regex flag.
Why don't they use a tree-based system? That would allow them to have a robust, easily extensible system with automatic error correction. But oh well, who am I to judge. ;)

So I prefer to write something that won't use their system at all. In fact, I can probably fix the layout problem with this method too, by checking specifically for quote tags. I just found a good place to hook my code I think.

Ah ok. That explains why my spoiler code "works" then - it uses <dt> and <dd> instead of <blockquote>.

I don't know the phpBB administrator panel well enough, but will old spoilers still work properly if you change the markup? Messages are stored in HTML format and decoded back when you quote or edit them, so if the spoiler decoder is lacking you'll end up with HTML in the quote/edit forms, I guess. Unless the developers did the right thing this time.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

mscha wrote:About 1 pixel more pannONG.
Spoiler:

(“About”? Yes. Anti-aliased pixels are different – looks like the GLR does the panning on a higher resolution version, then resizes. I'm guessing about 0.9 pixels worth of panning.
What's next, 0.45 pixel? Then 0.225, and so on? Note that, unlike in Zeno's paradox, that'd mean that the panning will never end.)

I just wish they'd step away from the edge, they are making me nervous.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

hajo wrote:

I agree; if that's a headframe, I don't see anything the wheel might be connected to, that it might raise or lower.

The wheel, with its "crosspiece" at a slight angle, reminds me of nothing so much as a old-fashioned surveyor's transit: a simple telescope, more or less. So I too would vote for some kind of watchtower.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:28 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:
xpatiate wrote:Just have to say I love the way that people are learning and developing new skills as a result of this experience - image manipulation, wiki editing, data analysis, software development, music composition. Thanks everybody for sharing the tools you use - I found all that stuff really interesting. And as a fellow diehard vim user I should also wave to Pikrass and Scisitor *waves*

*waves back*
Hey, let's build a Vim church, so that Emacs or butterflies users are kept away by our prayers!

Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
hajo wrote:

I agree; if that's a headframe, I don't see anything the wheel might be connected to, that it might raise or lower.

The wheel, with its "crosspiece" at a slight angle, reminds me of nothing so much as a old-fashioned surveyor's transit: a simple telescope, more or less. So I too would vote for some kind of watchtower.

I had an idea that it might be some kind of spotting scope. Of course, the metal structure does not seem to be dilapidated (though it would be hard to tell perhaps) and it doesn't make too much sense as to why the additional scaffolding would be necessary; you don't need such a tower to hold up a spotting scope. In any case, such a tower might mean that Cuegan have been observed coming up the mountain by anyone who may have been up there. What sort of reception might be planned, I wonder.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

A watchtower? Something even bigger coming?
For those seeking symbolism for the real lfe of RM, a watchtower is a symbol of the Jehovah's Witness religion
Last edited by edo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
partingLance wrote:
hajo wrote:

I had an idea that it might be some kind of spotting scope. Of course, the metal structure does not seem to be dilapidated (though it would be hard to tell perhaps) and it doesn't make too much sense as to why the additional scaffolding would be necessary; you don't need such a tower to hold up a spotting scope. In any case, such a tower might mean that Cuegan have been observed coming up the mountain by anyone who may have been up there. What sort of reception might be planned, I wonder.

If it's made of planks and not of metal, you might need that amount of scaffolding; though the planks/struts/whatever they may be look fairly straight and regular, so may not be wooden. We could compare them to the original "beach scaffold", maybe.

Anyway, to the papal decree: farther along the "mesa," they'll find a big pen, with a superficial resemblance to the "grapevine," containing hundreds and hundreds of La Petites, held captive there by the alien overlords who built the watchtower.

Also, outside in the cold distance, a molpy will growl, while two riders are approaching, and the wind begins to howl.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Prediction:

Redundant spoiler:
Spoiler:
woah.png

Redundant-Clock.png
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Note that it's two structures, one (with a rectangular frame) to hold up the platforms, roof, and ladder, and the other (with a narrower A frame) to hold the round thing in the top center.

If the round thing were a load-bearing wheel (as in a mine header or a pulley for a conveyance) its support would have to be the strongest part of the structure, and the platforms could just be attached to that without needing their own structure.

That tells me that the round thing is an instrument that has to be aimed with a lot of precision. It needs its own structure so that the weight of the user flexing the structure she's standing on doesn't affect the reading.

That should be enough of a clue to figure out the rest. (See if you can do so before opening the spoilers.)

Spoiler:
Now, the instrument does appear to have an elongated tube crossing the axle of the wheel, which is currently elevated a few degrees from horizontal (assuming it's aimed toward the left). That is too small to be an astronomical telescope (at least, one that would justify such an elaborate mount). But it's a telescope nonetheless...

*drumroll* (last chance...)
Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

(This one's from 1910, and I hope you'll agree, a truly and deeply beautiful artifact.)

And here are some vintage survey towers (from http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/survey_towers/timber.html

ETA: Yeah, thoroughly ninja'd by PartingLance. Interestingly, he seems to have identified the transit directly, while I was led there by considering the construction of the tower.
Last edited by Rule110 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

akacat

Postby akacat » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

xpatiate wrote:ETA: woo, first ONG and a pagepope! Somebody mentioned recently they were watching a lot less TV since Time began. Amidst speculation on what that mysterious round thing is, my decree is that you tell us what time-consuming activity you've given up in order to Wait for it.

I seem to have given up reading fanfiction. I'm hoping this wipend is quiet enough that I can catch up a bit. But that's not too likely, since friends have convinced me to try playing Animal Crossing, and so far I quite enjoy it.

BlitzGirl wrote:Edit for pagepope: I've stopped playing a SIM game that I was heavily addicted to - this is a much better use of Time, methinks.

Which SIM game is that? One of The Sims series, or something else entirely?

k.bookbinder wrote:Edit: Oh uh, page Pope and all. Hm. I haven't even had my morninx coffee. Not really in a thinking Papal state. OK. more wild predictions about what else is on the mountain. Certainly there must be something else.

You want wild guesses? Ok, how about a troop of 32 wild meowlpies, square dancing? La Petite is the caller.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Note that it's two structures, one (with a rectangular frame) to hold up the platforms, roof, and ladder, and the other (with a narrower A frame) to hold the round thing in the top center.

If the round thing were a load-bearing wheel (as in a mine header or a pulley for a conveyance) its support would have to be the strongest part of the structure, and the platforms could just be attached to that without needing their own structure.

That tells me that the round thing is an instrument that has to be aimed with a lot of precision. It needs its own structure so that the weight of the user flexing the structure she's standing on doesn't affect the reading.

That should be enough of a clue to figure out the rest. (See if you can do so before opening the spoilers.)

Spoiler:
Now, the instrument does appear to have an elongated tube crossing the axle of the wheel, which is currently elevated a few degrees from horizontal (assuming it's aimed toward the left). That is too small to be an astronomical telescope (at least, one that would justify such an elaborate mount). But it's a telescope nonetheless...

Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

(This one's from 1910, and I hope you'll agree, a truly and deeply beautiful artifact.)

And here are some vintage survey towers (from http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/survey_towers/timber.html

PartingLance came up with the same thing. I'm convinced.

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Note that it's two structures, one (with a rectangular frame) to hold up the platforms, roof, and ladder, and the other (with a narrower A frame) to hold the round thing in the top center.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

A-*hem*!

ETA: Erm, yes. Thanks, k. bookbinder; though unlike Rule110, I didn't think through the implications of the separate structures. So maybe it's not just for watching.

I still like the "watchtower" interpretation, though. Fits with that post-apocalyptic thing; also, with "watchman, what of the night?" and similar references.
Last edited by partingLance on Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StormAngel

A Black Ti[m]e event

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Oh, due to outside issues I missed the previous Papal Decree:

Current Papal Decree:

Are you suggesting that they are currently standing on top of Black Mesa? Oh wait...it does appear that they are standing on top of A black mesa, so maybe it is THE Black Mesa. :shock:

Perhaps that is it! Perhaps this is some weird collaboration with Valve to announce the release of Half-Life 3. We've certainly been waiting long enough for that.

This?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Ch*rp

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
hajo wrote:

My first thought was fire tower. A lot of those abandoned even now. But the circle thing doesn't fit. It does seem more like a signaling device, though, with either sound or light. Interesting that there is no ladder to the top, so there may be a roof protecting a device.

Another thought I had is that this is an elevator to the underground section of Click and Drag. http://xkcd.com/1110/

[prediction] signaling device [/prediction]

Wait. I know: it's a Portal! The Aliens left it there partway up a tower, to guarantee that only highly developed species (i.e. that can manage stairs -- or fly) could enter it.

On a completely unrelated topic: Has anyone else found that, after a few [heretical] weeks/months of living in the OTT, the forum threads for the 'regular' comics just aren't as interesting or engaging as they used to be? I'm a little worried that after TEOT all other xkcd threads will be too dreary to bother with :cry:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Re: Cthulhu Time

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I claim the role of high Inquisitor.
Anyone who defies me will receive a burned steak!

You're dead. You can't apply for that job.

Fjew, then it's good I didn't apply. I just claimed it. Completely different. Kind of like the difference between an armed robbery and a request for a donation.

Well, in this case GIVE THE INQUISITION'S POWER TO THE PEOPLE, or else…
(Trust me, that was [caused by] a trebuchet.)

Then it's good that I am already dead. Fire won't harm me.
The Inquisition is all about religion and preventing people from having the wrong kind of afterlife. Who better can advise you than someone who is already dead? Someone who is there?
Trust me, you don't want the wrong kind of afterlife.
Spoiler:
Those wings are hard to control, harps are difficult to play and only a few don't look like idiots in white robes. White is such a difficult color. Only "Winter" color types can wear em if I remember correctly.

he/him/his

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Good finds, partingLance and Rule110! I'm convinced, especially after seeing those tower photos.

Also: dialONG!

In which Cueball discovers mountain plateaus.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

I am wondering if the object on the structure is a Meridian Telescope rather than a surveying instrument such as a Theodolite.

ETA: I say this because, to me, it appears slightly too large to be a Theodolite. But then again, perhaps too small to be a Meridian Telescope.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Good finds, partingLance and Rule110! I'm convinced, especially after seeing those tower photos.

Also: dialONG!

In which Cueball discovers mountain plateaus.

Or the mountains actually don't go back down on the other side. They are an infinite repetition of upward slopes and plateaus (kind of like the final boss stairs in super mario 64 before you're ready).

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:Anyway, to the papal decree: farther along the "mesa," they'll find a big pen, with a superficial resemblance to the "grapevine," containing hundreds and hundreds of La Petites, held captive there by the alien overlords who built the watchtower.

ETA: Also, outside in the cold distance, a molpy will growl, while two riders are approaching, and the wind begins to howl.

Further to this (which I actually wrote a bit of a beginning for a while back, with a secret shed rather than a secret lair, and HatGirl as Scarface [her appearance was quite disturbing, but I assure you she's harmless enough; she's a sweetheart, calls me Maître, and she has a sleighnp970 and bugs with pretty wings for bringing kids to me], but I thought I'd better wait and see if the cattack had any influence on my ideas) a partial-filk prediction for what happens after they meet people:

You know it isn't easy living here on Stickcrusher Mountain
Maybe you could cut me just a little slack.
Would it kill you to be civil?
I've been patient, I've been gracious
And this mountain is covered with meowlps
Hear them [gr/h]owling, my hungry children
Maybe you should stay and have another drink and think about me and you.

Ohhh, they'll still wait for you
but it's far too late for you,
even those Waiters think I'm crazy,
and they're all far from sanity.
If you could find some way to be (I want to get 'some Waiter' in here instead of 'some way to' but haven't spent much time figuring out how yet)
a little bit less afraid of me
you'd see the artist that controls me
says to wait for it, so I shouldn't kill you yet...
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”