1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Angelastic

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Angelastic » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

"But first I have something special to say."
(gets down on one knee in front of Megan, opens a tiny box)

Next frame

(Megazoom to reveal that the tiny box contains the tiny trebuchet, surreptitiously rescued much earlier)

Next frame

"I wanted to give you this at the same time as the flag, but…"

Megan: "Thank you."

Next frame

ETA: Pope! Outrageous and/or serious ideas for the 'but first' please, and things that could interrupt the 'but first' and show there's no time to dally with 'but firsts' when there's important information to reveal.
Last edited by Angelastic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Wow, that is a lot of people in one XKCD frame.

33 are visible, and there could be more behind the fabric/skin side.

Oh, so that's why they built that. Not to be a sail, or waterproofing, but to prevent GLR from having to draw all of them.

philip1201

Postby philip1201 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

Quantum mechanics/human mind discussion:
Spoiler:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
philip1201 wrote:
b2bomberkrh wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
ahecht wrote:
philip1201 wrote:It is a simple physical fact that every conceivable combination of occupations of quantum fields in 4D spacetime has a finite non-zero probability within the laws of physics, and that includes groups of bosons forming neural nets which encode the belief that library books are supposed to be empty.

That is one possible universe in the multiverse, but what about the universe where the people are exactly like us, but the books are empty.

As you eliminated causal (i.e. statistically likely) explanations for how the books ended up empty, you approach the eventual limit of "the books got empty by, against unfathomable odds, all the molecules of the ink in all of the books spontaneously undergoing the right series of quantum fluctuations to dissolve/decay/whatever causes that kind of ink to fade, thus blanking the books". Or, maybe the real limit is more like "quantum fields in empty space spontaneously converged, against even more unfathomable odds, to create a planet on which is a library full of blank books and people with false memories who have no idea why there is a library of blank books".

The problem to be solved is exactly the same as this one: You discover that there is a library full of blank books somewhere. How did that get there like that? There are many possible explanations, each with a different likelihood of being true. There are more universes where the more likely explanations occurred (e.g. someone rich guy thought it would be a funny prank present for his bookworm little brother, maybe?) than where the less likely explanations occurred (e.g. all the ink spontaneously decayed due to the exact right series of quantum fluctuations in its constituent molecules, atoms, etc).

Focusing too much on one specific example is missing the point. The point the character, and I, was trying to make is that there are theoretical universes that are simply not consistent with the intelligent beings that occupy them. There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that. Does such a universe exist because random quantum fluctuations make the books all go blank? And many more universes where only one of the books has blank pages? And many, many more universes where just one page gets blanked? And a huge majority of universes where nothing odd happens? It seems much more likely to me that there are deep, mysterious things that we don't yet understand about the relationship between conscious, intelligent beings and the physical and quantum mechanical universe, that would preclude "ridiculous" universes like that ever coming into existence.

Why do you believe ridiculous universes don't/can't exist? What kind of evidence do you have which causes you to dismiss something which is only supposed to happen once every googolplexian^googolplexian years at most, especially when there are an actually statistically significant amount of inconsistencies between human beliefs and the environment caused by imperfect brain architectureex? Why do you eschew reductionism and posit an exception in the laws of physics for specific low-entropic slabs of meat (i.e. human brains/minds) when there can be no evidence for that exception because insanity is at least 10^100^100 times more likely than a manifestation of a coherent, persistent macroscopic quantum phenomenon according to generally accepted science? Or are you so far gone that you actually believe your explanation to be Occam-simpler?

Human sapience doesn't work through mysterious magic, it's a neural net computer which receives input through the senses and has physical electro-chemical discharges travel through the structure which are what thoughts are made of. There is interaction between the human mind and the physical world, not through deep ineffable relationships, but though nerves and senses and hormones. Humans are "inconsistent" with libraries of empty books not because intelligence and empty books are at some deep level incompatible, but because humans build libraries to put texts in them using a purely physical decision-making process. If physics provides other mechanisms for humans and libraries to co-exist, they will co-exist in some alternate universe through those mechanisms.

ex e.g. "I swear I put my keys on the desk" - human error, or quantum fluctuations moving the keys around?

I have no evidence whatsoever. And I never stated that I don't believe they exist.

You said "There isn't a universe anywhere with a person just like me having a bookshelf full of empty books, because I wouldn't have a bookshelf like that". Which is a completely flawed way of reasoning, as I argued.

What I stated was that I believe there are deep, unanswered questions about the human mind and it's relationship to the quantum mechanical world.

Does that mean you're joining the likes of Penrose in making the testable statement (discredited by Tegmark, according to wikipedia) that neurons in bulk are not accurately modeled by classical mechanics? Or do you consider the internal workings of a human (neural) cell "deep"? Neurology is a subject in its infancy but as far as I know there are no open questions about the relationship with QM.

There isn't any evidence that alternative universes exist at all!!! Your statement that I'm positing an exception to the laws physics implies that I was positing a fact in the first place, but even more problematic, implies that multiple universes ARE one of the laws of physics, and that the laws physics imply that multiple universes not only exist, but that ALL of them exist, and neither of these facts are well enough established to even quality as a theory of physics yet, much less a law. They fall more within the realm of speculation at the moment, and we certainly don't have much in the way of evidence either way.

The actual status of alternate universes is irrelevant for the discussion. You said "This led to the physicists considering the influence of intelligence/consciousness on the resolution of quantum events, and opened my eyes to the concept that the presence of intelligent, self-aware entities precludes certain "obnoxious" scenarios from existing anywhere, and that there is something very mysterious still about consciousness that influences even quantum events.", which directly implies you believe intelligence influences quantum mechanics outside of regular physics, regardless of the existence of alternate universes. I don't think even Penrose would support that.

Furthermore, it is a long way from being either obvious, or proven that our minds are simply computers, operating according to quantum mechanical principles, whose behaviors could be predicted given a sufficient knowledge of their state. In fact, the original purpose of my post was to suggest that minds are more than just that, and to point out that there is much that we don't yet understand about how consciousness, free will and so on fit into the "laws" of the physical universe. Some of these issues are addressed in a much more interesting, and detailed way in the book that I suggested twice.

And as I explained, the reasons you gave in the posts are nonsense. Neurons may be in QM superpositions or not, but the fact that your main argument is a total misunderstanding of the nature of free willA is a pretty good reason not to bother with a detailed book on the subject.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Blind Blitzposting from the distant past [heresy](500 comment pages)[/heresy]...
TheMinim wrote:Coma Coma Coma Time! Try not to post much while I'm gone! Or, alternatively, post like mad and leave all laggers behind.

This is cruel, especially to us laggers . . . .
charlie_grumbles wrote:My doctorate is in Mathematics, but multiplication tables always escaped me. I finally forced myself to learn them after I had the PhD.

Not only that, I was in my fifth year of graduate study before anyone really taught me what mathematics is. I doubt that few teachers of it really know.
Spoiler:
Creation of new knowledge. Not reviewing/studying the already known.

Are you sure? Do Mathematicians create or discover mathematics? That is, do they create new systems of rules and “stuff,” or do they discover the relationships that are already existing somehow embedded in nature?
And, by the way, I sympathize on the multiplication tables. I learned algebra to minimize calculations. I mean, 7◦8=42, or thereabouts, but x◦y is always xy.
Opiboble wrote:In other news: I am falling behind in my posting D:

Heck, I'm falling behind in my reading. Two pages per page read, or thereabouts.

I will need infinite time to finish this thread?
ucim wrote:BlitzGirling is an awesome calling. The rewards are beyond imagine. All it requires is to be pure of heart, to feel the chasm in your soul from the lack of experiencing Time in its proper time, and the desire, indeed the drive, to drink from the One True Thread to fill this void. That, and Time and time itself. Such a Quest is not to be undertaken lightly, but simply by considering this Holy Sacrament, you have proven yourself worthy.

Either way you do it, the Quest is Awesome0 and, should you decide to embark on it, I would bestow upon thee, as Pope of the Holy Contradiction, the Blessing of Strength for the True Pilgrims of Time.

Jose

This.
mathrec wrote:I've had in my mind that the land of Time is a fictional place based on Madagascar with everyday elements from familiar European/Western culture (sandcastles with crenelated parapets, squirrels, etc.). I think that's still where I am. I could forgive the very European sand castles, but the squirrels squirpies look just a little too much like squirrels.

Madagascar, if it has been settled on, would be a nice size—large enough to be a really big2 island, but small enough to be nearly manageable.
That would make the natives mostly Austronesians from Borneo plus Bantu from East Africa? Speaking, presumably Malagasy?

2Not as large as the sea

ergman wrote:
ergman wrote:
And third, minim apparently became multypope. Multypope!

True. Multypope sounds like maltypope to me.

What about a molpypope?

ucim wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:There is a lesson here for teachers. Your job is NOT to teach what you know. As proved above, a lot of what you (actually I) know is useless garbage. Your job is to teach them what they need to know.
Well put. However...
then charlie_grumbles goes on, having wrote:...We don't teach how to use slide rules anymore as that would be a waste of the student's time...
That would be a shortsighted view of what a valuable use of student's time is. A slide rule is visceral. It requires more of the student's brain, and also allows actual interaction with the concepts being used (which a calculator does not). This leads to a deeper understanding of the math (multplication, logarithms, and exponents in this case, but the principle is the same). That is most certainly not a waste of the student's time.

Of course, once the student has gained the understanding that the slide rule helps to develop, it can be supplanted. But skipping that step risks glossing over something fundamentally important.

The object of education, fundamentally, isn't to "get the right answer" or to "make more money" or to "get a better job". It is to "enable yourself to enjoy life to the fullest", and that comes from a deep understanding of all life has to offer. Students need to know that.

They short circuit it at their peril.

Jose

Yep!
Reminds me of Asimov's short story, "The Feeling of Power".

But that could happen in various ways: Calculating, programming computers, compiling code, come quickly to mind. I’m sure there are others.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Update! here we go:
Spoiler:

Awefulsome!

Angelastic wrote:Hey, remember when I ottified Rocks and Trees by The Arrogant Worms as 'Neat' and 'Yeah'? Well, we have Cueball's rock to think about now, and we sure have a lot of water, so now I think it can be reverted almost to the original lyrics. So here we go:

Rocks and Trees
an ottody of Rocks and Trees by The Arrogant Worms
Spoiler:
Our comic’s bigger than most
And if asked I boast
’cause I’m really proud
So I shout it loud
RUN with Megan and Cue
They will RUN with you

We don't know all the history,
Climax or mid-story?
Heroes or casualties?
Fllotsam or catmolpies?
Still what we know's good enough:

’cause we’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!

All aboard, everyone!

We’ve got
Rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And rocks and trees
And trees and rocks
And water!
4!
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Swein wrote:I'm a little doubting over the possibility to build a raft carrying 20 persons and luggage from the stuff in a nomad camp, not even using the rods from the tent, but maybe the hillbullies were generous with their garbage.
Hopefully the gang in the hillbullie-hills can build their own raft.

If you look at the frames when the Cueganties were loading their raft, you'll notice that they load on a couple of barrels. If they have empty barrels, then finding enough flotation to make the rafts is doable....

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

I just noticed that in the most recent frame they said "sand". Is someone referring to the remains of the castle or something else? Does this settle the discussion of the castle building material?

Eliram

Postby Eliram » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Prediction:

Newpic-- MEGAN: Now throw YOUR rope!
Next Newpic Other Twenty: WHAT rope?
Next Next Newpic: MEGAN: Chirpity Chirp-Chirp!

Edit: PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:
When you leave your place of dwelling, do you now automatically look for your path of escape should the waters start rising? Are you more acutely aware of the location of the temporary islands you could be trapped on?

Of course I have escape routes for flooding, although a tsunami is not likely where I live (Israel), my wife's cousin and his fiance died in the 2004 tsunami in Koh Phi Phi, we spent a month of agony before he was identified. So the notion is there since I like not that far from the beach.

On the other hand, living in Israel, I have escape plans for missile attacks, terror attacks, earthquakes and even Nuclear bomb (which can be surprisingly survivable if you know what to do). It's not an everyday thing, but it's there somewhere.

On the other hand, I never worry about Volcanos, Hurricanes or boring life. 8-)
It's about time.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:Not only that, I was in my fifth year of graduate study before anyone really taught me what mathematics is. I doubt that few teachers of it really know.
Spoiler:
Creation of new knowledge. Not reviewing/studying the already known.

Are you sure? Do Mathematicians create or discover mathematics? That is, do they create new systems of rules and “stuff,” or do they discover the relationships that are already existing somehow embedded in nature?

I think he just meant that it's not about learning the right method of solving such-and-such problem, it's about coming up with those methods; in other words, learning and applying the Pythagorean theorem isn't really "doing mathematics", discovering and proving the Pythagorean theorem is.

In the same way that learning Newton's Laws of Motion isn't "doing physics", but theorizing and testing those same laws is doing physics.

And Pythagoras and Newton already did those respective bits of math and physics, and if you want to do more math and physics of your own you have to (attempt to) make a new discovery of your own, not just read about what discoveries others already came up with.
Last edited by Pfhorrest on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ggrohmann

Postby ggrohmann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

I'd like to give a special thanks to Aubron Wood for his "Time" animation.

Guido

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I still think the survival of the beret for 11,000 years is about as bizarre as the enduring Bilby towers.

Well, if beanies made it that far...
ggrohmann wrote:I'd like to give a special thanks to Aubron Wood for his "Time" animation.

Guido

Yeah, I have to thank Aubron too for coming up with that so quickly. His was the first one up by a good margin, and was what enabled me to follow the OTC in its earlier days.

Also, I'm going to try to see what I can come up with for the "What is this whole Pope business about?" section of the FAQ, marking my first attempted Wiki contribution. I've got some spare time, so I might as well help out (even if it's only a capsule explanation and a link to the main page).
Last edited by HAL9000 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

mscha

Postby mscha » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

hunjoh wrote:I just noticed that in the most recent frame they said "sand". Is someone referring to the remains of the castle or something else? Does this settle the discussion of the castle building material?

LaPetite already declared it to be sand. But what the Cueganites call sand, may well be a mixture of sand and salt.
The asker is probably referring to the remains of the towers on what are now bow and stern of their raft/boat.
Last edited by mscha on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm UTC

mscha wrote:Reunited, and it feels so ONG...
Spoiler:
The world is ending, and what is your first question?
Random Cueganite wrote:Why do you have little tables covered in sand?

I laughed so hard at the 'little tables covered in sand' question. :mrgreen: Obviously their home is going, they river started going BACKWARDS and that must have been scary as shit, but this Cueganite only wants to know why they have sand on little tables. Hahah. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Is this the first confirmation we've received that we were right about the flow of the rivers?

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, that seals it, I am DEFINITELY in the MYQM.

Damn right! We can be cougarish together.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:30 pm UTC

slinches wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1046}

Hmmm. Are you an engineer?

Nah, I think he must be a philosopher or an accountant.

{P1114}
Neither nor nor. A diagnostician.
Dunno where that puts me on the scale of physicist to poet.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
ETA: Pope! Outrageous and/or serious ideas for the 'but first' please, and things that could interrupt the 'but first' and show there's no time to dally with 'but firsts' when there's important information to reveal.

Spoiler:

Well, with this whole explosion of people in the frame: "We can explain. But first-"

*cue Harlem Shake music*
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

Exodies

Re: American States, United

Postby Exodies » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

AluisioASG wrote:
Spoiler:
Ximenez wrote:
azule wrote:
macraw83 wrote:There is no real term for residents or citizens of North and/or South and/or Central America, you don't go around saying North Americans or South Americans or Central Americans (or maybe you do and I'm just an ignorant little s*** from the USA who doesn't know anything about our North, South, or Central American neighbors).

Being an American (USAan) I can confirm to have heard in use "South American" quite often. Too many countries down there without enough US-connected uniqueness. Likewise with "Central American". "North American" is a problem because there's only 3 countries, so it's easy to be specific, and therefore less need to use the group phrase.
Btw, there's a reason we're "Americans", because America is not a continent like Asia and Africa, but North America and South America are.

Here in South America we do say North Americans. Also South Americans, Latin Americans, etc. It's quite confusing for us to hear "Americans" used as "people in the USA". We call the USA "United States", not America. And people from the USA, "estadounidenses" (something like "United-Staters" or "United-Statians").
Also, America is the whole continent, comprising North, Central and South America. (Some people say "the Americas", which sounds somewhat aged.)

I surely don't live in the same part of the Austral America as you. Here we call the USA America (alt. United States or "States" - yes, the latter in English), the USAns Americans, and the whole continent... well, America.
But yeah, "the Americas" sounds odd.

{P1115}
Don't forget the Merkans.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:ideas for the 'but first' please

"but first... lunch!"

Spoiler:
(Lucky still doesn't know how to spell its name...)

Angelastic wrote: and things that could interrupt the 'but first' '

Spoiler:
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:I laughed so hard at the 'little tables covered in sand' question. :mrgreen: Obviously their home is going, they river started going BACKWARDS and that must have been scary as shit, but this Cueganite only wants to know why they have sand on little tables. Hahah. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It occurs to me that sand tables have a useful function; they can be used as a map table to sketch out explanations. (Or they simply didn't get all the extra sand off before they started, of course.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
mikrit wrote:I am serious; I think they are nameless and faceless for the same reason.
Randall Munroe wrote:Thus, when you see a photo or a realistic drawing of a face - you see it as the face of another.

But when you enter the world of the cartoon - you see yourself.

http://comicsalliance.com/randall-munro ... joss-whed/

Thank you for quoting and posting this; it has made my day. I don't think I knew our GLR had ever said such a wonderful thing.

Oops, I may have misattributed it. I've read it again, and now I think that the interviewer was quoting Scott McCloud, via a cartoon. I thought it was Randall's cartoon, but the handwriting is slightly different. And of course, the cartoon face has a couple of dots and a horizontal line that are very un-Randallian. (I wonder what they represent...)

But anyway, Randall seems to agree with McCloud.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

CasCat wrote:It occurs to me that sand tables have a useful function; they can be used as a map table to sketch out explanations. (Or they simply didn't get all the extra sand off before they started, of course.)
If they can get that "sand" up to the Beanies, it might be the only "sand" sample of that type they'll be able to study for quite some time...
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

EraObserver

Postby EraObserver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:ETA: Pope! Outrageous and/or serious ideas for the 'but first' please, and things that could interrupt the 'but first' and show there's no time to dally with 'but firsts' when there's important information to reveal.

Cueball stares out into the small crowd, pauses after saying but first, and then shouts out with his loudest voice, "we WAIT FOR IT!"
Spoiler:
"... but [], the flood is coming!"
"Nope, we WAIT FOR IT!"

Unable to force Cueball to let go of the old directive, the entire group is swallowed up in the flood. Thus ends time.
*Insert witty comment*

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
slinches wrote:
charlie_grumbles wrote:
Exodies wrote:{P1046}

Hmmm. Are you an engineer?

Nah, I think he must be a philosopher or an accountant.

{P1114}
Neither nor nor. A diagnostician.
Dunno where that puts me on the scale of physicist to poet.

Orthogonal

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:47 pm UTC

But first-

A little dancing!!

(cue techo music as a guy in a black leotard comes out to the middle of the boat)

jjjdavidson wrote:Just a quick post to sort of fill in until Kieryn has time to get back to his data. As of this morning (precisely, as of the 49292nd post) there have been 1287 distinct Waiters posting to the One True Thread. Kieryn's latest data (from a month ago, June 25th) showed 1175 posters; we've added 112 new posters in the last month.

The 42 most frequent posters (because 42's "about forty", and because 42!):
Spoiler:
2191 mscha (includes newpixbot)
1857 BlitzGirl
1002 HAL9000
893 KarMann
882 ChronosDragon
819 charlie_grumbles
809 StratPlayer
735 SBN
710 Kieryn
701 AluisioASG
690 k.bookbinder
686 buffygirl
669 Exodies
662 Eternal Density
654 yappobiscuits
631 Dracomax
590 Valarya
572 Opiboble
559 jjjdavidson
553 pelrigg
551 azule
521 Latent22
483 HES
482 taixzo
472 Helper
459 ucim
441 kenmelken
415 fhorn
404 Angelastic
398 higgs-boson
392 tman2nd
384 TheMinim
367 spamjam
361 jovialbard
358 Rule110
348 htom
340 lmjb1964
340 Neil_Boekend
322 cmyk
320 edo
302 cellocgw
289 AionArap
I'm one of the 40!

*sigh* with this post, I tie cmyk. *pours the contents of a 40 onto the keyboard for the homies*
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Blindposting, because you guys keep making new pages and I can't keep up.

rvloon wrote:Can't help but wonder
With all the water around
Where will they all pee?

:lol:

Glad you noticed this one. I wanted to do something haiku style, but I actually did wonder of practicalities: they have 40 people, what about hygiene etc. Of course, the compact form did prompt me to be a little tongue-in-cheeky with it.

Hmm, reading that back, that almost sounds like a director's commentary line. "I remember sitting at my laptop, no lights on, everybody else already molpied down..."

lmjb1964 wrote:OK, that seals it, I am DEFINITELY in the MYQM.

How stereotypical! You take one molpying British musician and the women drop like flies. And what about us poor baritones eh? What are we? Chopped Molpies? Those ottifications don't write themselves you know! We might as well break our contributions in tiny little pieces before we even hit the submit button!

I get it. I am a 44-year old nerd, glasses, strange accent, Dutch, no pizzazz. No MRQM. Story of my life. Which goes on.

Ronald

PS: :) in case you were wondering. Still, MRQM. Possibilities.
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

hajo

Postby hajo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 pm UTC

"We can explain. But first-"
A song !
And the dance of the ninjas

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

edo wrote:*sigh* with this post, I tie cmyk. *pours the contents of a 40 onto the keyboard for the homies*

Did he really go out on post 333? Neat.

EraObserver wrote:Cueball stares out into the small crowd, pauses after saying but first, and then shouts out with his loudest voice, "we WAIT FOR IT!"

I can't even see any of the other replies for the simple meta-ness of this answer.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

We love you too, Ronald. :) I would join the MRQM, but you're about twice my age so that would violate the standard creepiness rule: http://xkcd.com/314/

But first...could somebody bring me the head of that decapitated keyboard over there? It looks like a friend of mine...

Random832 wrote:
Fictioneer wrote:
moody7277 wrote:Wow, that is a lot of people in one XKCD frame.

33 are visible, and there could be more behind the fabric/skin side.

Oh, so that's why they built that. Not to be a sail, or waterproofing, but to prevent GLR from having to draw all of them.

That's what I would do. :D

Here's a 2x version of the current newpix. The most notable new Cueganite is the one who first spoke, with very curly hair. The sand-tables questioner is a woman with bangs/fringe.

Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Keywords: double embiggen 3066 frame newpix raft rafts sea-river The Forty Cueganites meeting BGUM
3066doublesize.png

redundant58.png
redundant58.png (154.77 KiB) Viewed 7001 times
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

"We can explain. But first-"

Cuball does his rendition of the "Rawhide" theme song:

Roiling, rolling, rolling
Though the streams are swollen
Keep them doggies rolling
Rawhide!

(Didn't even need to OTTify that)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

All right, I'm finished with the "What is this whole Pope business about?" section of the FAQ. Here it is! I hope it's good, as it is my first addition to the OTW.
While I was at it, I added a little bit to the "Pope" article to explain the circumstances under which the first Pope arose, as they differ from current conditions.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:How stereotypical! You take one molpying British musician and the women drop like flies. I get it. I am a 44-year old nerd, glasses, strange accent, Dutch, no pizzazz. No MRQM. Story of my life. Which goes on.

This is why I made the disclaimer that the yappo-love-club exists, for me, because of his creativity, charm and wit. That all happened well before I heard him. I really don't want his amazing Cueball performance cheapened by assuming he only got it for the accent. He deserves the part because he did a damn good audition. ;)

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

ONG $#!+ !!!

@Valarya: I was speaking in-thread, 322, not sure overall, but it is close. (ETA: it was close, 326, but no cigar)
Last edited by edo on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

I really liked the question about why the raft was covered in little piles of sand.

Is anyone else waiting for them to get surrounded by either sharks or dolphins?
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:01 pm UTC

mscha wrote:The world is ending, and what is your first question?
Random Cueganite wrote:Why do you have little tables covered in sand?

Like I said. They're all grad students. Even the little kids.
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

xiphmont

Postby xiphmont » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

alt text back to '...'... what's next...
"PANIC"
Last edited by xiphmont on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Spoiler:
ONGImage

Looks like La Petite has an idea. Anyone want to guess what it is?
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

New title text has FOUR periods.

This is getting serious.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

edo wrote:ONG $#!+ !!!
Spoiler:

@Valarya: I was speaking in thread 322, not sure overall, but it is close.

Alt text change incoming!
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Charm Quark

Postby Charm Quark » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:03 pm UTC

Not sure when this happened so it may have already been mentioned, but the title text is now "...."

Augh! Ninja'd.

Double ninja'd in fact. Should have posted right away instead of quickly skimming the last two new pages for any mentions of it. Ah well, wait and learn i guess.
Last edited by Charm Quark on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Lost forever in time...

CasCat

Riding it out

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

Let's hope they figure out a more reliable propulsion system than drifting; if they go out to sea, they're in big trouble. And as they pointed out, poling is HARD. (And they'd have to keep it up night and day.) The water rise will tend to push them up the river, but the river will tend to push back, especially if there are falls....

And the alt text has changed to dots again. Wanna bet the next alt text is "Wait for it"?
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

edo

Postby edo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

xiphmont wrote:alt text back to '...'... what's next...
"PANIC"

actually, I have "...." is it loading.....

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”