1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Davidy

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Davidy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

I think that Randall may sell this story as "Waterworld II", but hopefully *not* with Kevin Kostner as Cueball.

Any suggestions on who should play the two leads? I'd pick Jennifer Lawrence as Megan and Neal Patrick Harris as Cueball.

Edit: Hmmm, bumped to Pope post post. I got nothing. Carry on.
Last edited by Davidy on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

Help, I'm trying to interpret Japanese characters as Beanish symbols...

Arky wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:I can already see the religion starting now...

The sea stared rising, about to destroy all the world (all the world they knew) because of something bad the people were doing, when out of nowhere, The Two appeared (the fact that they were from there will be forgotten.) The Two caused rafts to appear, and gathered The People (what all peoples call themselves) unto the rafts, and set out on the rising seas....

When The People approached The Two and said, "Mighty Ones, we are but simple people, and thirst mightily in this great sea." The two then performed a miracle: fresh water, fresher than the freshest river fell from the sky! The Two stated,"in honor of your goodness, we promise that from this day forward, fresh water shall fall from the sky, that you never need fear thirst."

Etc., etc.... throw in a rainbow from the increased water vapor in the air, and you've got a nice religion!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot-- they came down from the mountain with the sacred knowlege of future events....
If Cueball's name is revealed to be Noah or Moses we will remember this post for all time.

Megan is Moses. She's the one who brought the book of maps. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

dm214

Word play

Postby dm214 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:28 pm UTC

A question to the English majors. Does this have a name?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.

That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...

You water be ashamed of yourself.

Well, you otter be ashamed of yourself, too!

Also, is this a beanie? If not, how is it named?
Spoiler:
I read, I summarize, I bring cakes. I likely won't answer if you call.

Pfhorrest

Re: Word play

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

dm214 wrote:A question to the English majors. Does this have a name?
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.

That's rather... apt.

Aren't those just puns?

Spoiler:

Yes. Although I think they also have other names elsewhere, like touque (pronounced like "too" + "k", but not like "took"), or skullcap.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

chem1190c

Postby chem1190c » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

That's rather... apt.

Spoiler:

If I'm not mistaken, in many circles it's known as a Forehead Velociraptor..

Spoiler:
I'm probably mistaken
/at least I'm not a bowl of petunias/
\\current member of the post-pre-hat-queue-mob-mob-mob\\

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

@Aluisio: I think "a war of puns" is the best explanation for that. I don't know any more technical term. :wink:
And yes, that could be considered a beanie, a knit cap, or many other different words, as has been pointed out by the ninjas.

Fictioneer wrote:And a tiger joins them on their watercraft and it becomes "Life of Pi" all over again, complete with new debates on pi in the OTT.

Or "Life of Lucky." And we could still have debates, perhaps about lucky numbers...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:
ucim wrote:re. haiku: My understanding is that it is supposed to be two contrasting ideas, expressed in seven (Japanese) symbols: 2, 3, 2, and there is supposed to be a reference to seasons, or a season of the year as part of the metaphor. The 5,7,5 syllable thing is an adaptation.

Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.
Nearly all Japanese syllables are made of only one mora, and each mora is a symbol in the "syllabary" (though it's more of a "morabary"), called kana. こ = ko, し = shi, etc. There's one exception, the kana ん, which is pronounced "n" or "m" and have to appear after another mora: こん is "kon", which is a syllable made of two morae.

So a haiku has 5/7/5 morae, with most morae being syllables in themselves, except for ん.
It's not related to the number of symbols. Kanji, the Chinese characters used in Japanese, often represent more than one mora. And you can use more than one kana to represent one mora because of compounds ("sho" is written しょ, "shi" + little "o") and "long vowels" (こう is "kou", that is a "ko" with the o pronunced slightly longer).

One example:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su
Three examples from Chiyo-ni, Woman Haiku Master (from the Edo period, 1603 - 1867...and yes, a translated book about her life and Haiku is sitting on my desk)
(English translations, obviously):

cuckoo-
still a blank paper
how lonely

in the moonlight
whatever you wear becomes beautiful
moonviewing

hands drop
all things on the ground-
the clear water

There you have it. Just my little contribution to the conversation on the art of Haiku.

Lovely, thanks for sharing with us!

And ottify'd:

chirpy-
still a black newpix
how lonely

in the Long Night
whenever the stars appear, see OTTers
dateguessing

she drops
all maps on the ground-
the Sandcastle!

I was secretly hoping you'd do that :wink: YOU HAVE FALLEN RIGHT INTO MY TRAP, BLITZGIRL okay, not all that maniacal...it's for the benefit of us all!
Last edited by MajorDouble7 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:...

You've got a close quote tag inside a spoiler tag, which tends to break things somewhat severely.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:<snipped>
Um, you've mistagged something, causing thread mustard. Please fix!
[edit] Because I'm ninja'd, here's a beanie. I think. Are beanies colourblind?
Spoiler:
hat.jpg
Last edited by Eternal Density on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1123

Postby azule » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

I don't know if y'all know something more on the translator, but here's my take: The big words in the background are actually the first attempt. The normal sized words are the current attempt. Think of it like the words are zooming in size as Time progresses. It would normally get smaller back there, but then you couldn't read it. So it's a stylistic choice used so that we may read the false starts. :)

@HereBeUnmappedBits::voice - Thanks for your submission. I agree, a Beanie might be a good choice. BTW, for all voice recorders: It's a bit sad that the quality on some of these suffers the quality of the voices. It's hard to tell if that's the voice that is trebley or the mic. :(

jovialbard wrote:eta: yes I know that's not really what deja vu is. On a side note, has anyone here not experienced deja vu? My wife never has, and every time I tell her I have deja vu she says "but this hasn't ever happened before" and I try to explain that that's the point but she doesn't get it because she hasn't experienced it...

You can't hide the deja vu. I know because I have it. It freaks me out. I actually have premonition based deja vu. I sorta experience the future (the premonition), time passes, then I experience the present (the deja vu).... holy fuck, that's sorta like spoiled ketchup in the OTT. And, yes, that freaks me out, too! lol!!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:

You've got a close quote tag inside a spoiler tag, which tends to break things somewhat severely.

Thanks...did that fix it? Which post specifically are you referring to (I'm assuming it's the latest one; my response to BlitzGirl's OTTification of the Haiku)...? I didn't notice any mustard, so I want to be sure I've got the right one...
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

OTVO Update:

For now I've updated the wiki Dialogue to show the frames we already have audio from our two main voice actors and let you play them. It's not perfect yet because I haven't found the best way to host the audio files as they are currently on Dropbox which is not easy to link to.
For now we can use this well maintained Wiki page to help the voice actors pick lines to record and the cool thing is it has links to mscha's frame viewer so you can go straight there to see the frame while recording. Over time once we update that wiki page with the recorded audio we will see how much is left as well.

@Valarya, @yappobiscuits: So would be great if you can start recording some frames when you have a chance. Just remember to try and capture the right emotion from the frames. Their are many quite dry frames at the start but you want to add a bit of excitement to your voice when they start going on their adventure as they seem to get very passionate about exploring and finding new things. They should sound a bit excited to be going exploring etc. Also I mentioned this in a previous post but watch for room reverb while recording. Valarya your recordings did sound like you were inside a bit and we want them to sound more like outside recordings which means you may need a bigger room to record in with more curtains or furniture to deaden the sound a bit. hard flat walls are your enemy.

Also set up my movie rendering script to just render all frames with audio only which gives us a nice short movie with just the frames done so far which I can keep updating as you guys record more audio.

CurrentAudio.mp4
Last edited by Latent22 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
Random832 wrote:

Thanks...did that fix it? Which post specifically are you referring to (I'm assuming it's the latest one; my response to BlitzGirl's OTTification of the Haiku)...? I didn't notice any mustard, so I want to be sure I've got the right one...

Yes, you fixed it. (It looked like a blank post to the rest of us.)
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Yes, all better. :)
MajorDouble7 wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
MajorDouble7 wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
ucim wrote:re. haiku: My understanding is that it is supposed to be two contrasting ideas, expressed in seven (Japanese) symbols: 2, 3, 2, and there is supposed to be a reference to seasons, or a season of the year as part of the metaphor. The 5,7,5 syllable thing is an adaptation.

Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.
Nearly all Japanese syllables are made of only one mora, and each mora is a symbol in the "syllabary" (though it's more of a "morabary"), called kana. こ = ko, し = shi, etc. There's one exception, the kana ん, which is pronounced "n" or "m" and have to appear after another mora: こん is "kon", which is a syllable made of two morae.

So a haiku has 5/7/5 morae, with most morae being syllables in themselves, except for ん.
It's not related to the number of symbols. Kanji, the Chinese characters used in Japanese, often represent more than one mora. And you can use more than one kana to represent one mora because of compounds ("sho" is written しょ, "shi" + little "o") and "long vowels" (こう is "kou", that is a "ko" with the o pronunced slightly longer).

One example:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su

Three examples from Chiyo-ni, Woman Haiku Master (from the Edo period, 1603 - 1867...and yes, a translated book about her life and Haiku is sitting on my desk)
(English translations, obviously):

cuckoo-
still a blank paper
how lonely

in the moonlight
whatever you wear becomes beautiful
moonviewing

hands drop
all things on the ground-
the clear water

There you have it. Just my little contribution to the conversation on the art of Haiku.

Lovely, thanks for sharing with us!

And ottify'd:

chirpy-
still a black newpix
how lonely

in the Long Night
whenever the stars appear, see OTTers
dateguessing

she drops
all maps on the ground-
the Sandcastle!
I was secretly hoping you'd do that :wink: YOU HAVE FALLEN RIGHT INTO MY TRAP, BLITZGIRL okay, not all that maniacal...it's for the benefit of us all!

Alas, I have been ottifactor-sniped! But I had a lot of fun so that's okay.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

I think Cueball is about to start a harmonica solo... Anyone else see that?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:I think Cueball is about to start a harmonica solo... Anyone else see that?

Hehe, or he's filing his nails :P
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but right now, there is no alt-text at all for me. Does this mean that a new one is coming soon?

Sadrak86

Postby Sadrak86 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 pm UTC

This is either going to be awesome, tragic, hilarious, or both.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Freiberg wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned, but right now, there is no alt-text at all for me. Does this mean that a new one is coming soon?

I still see "..."

Or were you just referring to it BEING "..."?

HES

Postby HES » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

Jesus La Petite, you guys! I didn't expect to have to ketchup at this time of day...

yappobiscuits wrote:Oh hey Kieryn! Why haven't I seen you yet, Oop North ain't THAT big :P

But it's bigger than it looks!
Or, at least, bigger than this southerner realised it was before deciding to move there in a couple of months.
He/Him/His Image

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:

That's rather... apt.

duck.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:00 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:@Aluisio: I think "a war of puns" is the best explanation for that. I don't know any more technical term. :wink:

A pun cascade, we called that, in my youth in the WestSTAFF that is forgotten. Maybe something to do with the shapes made by the nested quotes. Or maybe not. But maybe appropriate, now that I think of it, to the OTC and the OTT.

STAFF Usenet, that's to say.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Not playONG music.

Image- Kieryn

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Glad I was able to fix that chirpin' mustard...on a side note, and I hate asking Newb questions, but...Why do I seem to find it so hard to be able to view all of my posts? It seems like the link to "View Your Posts" merely takes me to an overview of all the threads I've posted in (which is only the OTT). Am I missing something, or is there a mustard-y workaround for this simple task? I seem to be able to view (or 'search') other users posts quite easily.

'preciate it.

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 am UTC

When did the alt text change again?
Last edited by libra on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:
Freiberg wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned, but right now, there is no alt-text at all for me. Does this mean that a new one is coming soon?

I still see "..."

Or were you just referring to it BEING "..."?

No, I saw it as "..." (and even "...." for a little bit), but this didn't have any at all. The page just refreshed, though, and the "..." is back, so I suppose it was a minor glitch, either on my part or the website's.

Darn, I thought I was onto something there.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:New title text has FOUR periods.

This is getting serious.

I once read a long interview with Gene Wilder, discussing the screenplay for Young Frankenstein. The interviewer noticed that the Creature's grunts are all transcribed as "nnnnnnn", and that every single instance in the entire script had a different number of n's. Gene Wilder was very happy that he'd noticed -- they'd done it deliberately. (And once you know, you can sort of tell, watching the movie.)
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:03 am UTC

"Look, I found a snake!" "Ew!"

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Aw, little girls and their penchant for picking up molpies of all sorts and showing them to others...

MajorDouble7 wrote:Glad I was able to fix that chirpin' mustard...on a side note, and I hate asking Newb questions, but...Why do I seem to find it so hard to be able to view all of my posts? It seems like the link to "View Your Posts" merely takes me to an overview of all the threads I've posted in (which is only the OTT). Am I missing something, or is there a mustard-y workaround for this simple task? I seem to be able to view (or 'search') other users posts quite easily.

'preciate it.

I usually go to "User Control Panel." On the first, "Overview" page right by your total post count is a link that says "Show Your Posts" - this provides you with a searchable list.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Latent22

Postby Latent22 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:05 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:Glad I was able to fix that chirpin' mustard...on a side note, and I hate asking Newb questions, but...Why do I seem to find it so hard to be able to view all of my posts? It seems like the link to "View Your Posts" merely takes me to an overview of all the threads I've posted in (which is only the OTT). Am I missing something, or is there a mustard-y workaround for this simple task? I seem to be able to view (or 'search') other users posts quite easily.

'preciate it.

Click on your name link and then click 'Search Users Posts'. This is the same steps for looking at other users posts as well.
ETA: Or what BlitzGirl said if you want!
Last edited by Latent22 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 am UTC

I just checked. The latest change to the alt text is three full stops - a standard '...' ellipsis. Not four stops.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am UTC

*BLINDPOST NP 1236*
Ace wrote:Similar video, but spoken word: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY (Not sure where I first came across this, may have been this thread.) Some words are clearly recognisable ('yeah, sure') some are babbling, it seems to fit the semi-obscured speech of Rosetta.

Haha, perfect! I think this also fits to how the OTT must sound to Outsiders. :mrgreen:
Last edited by NoMouse on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:08 am UTC

libra wrote:I just checked. The latest change to the alt text is three full stops - a standard '...' ellipsis. Not four stops.

That is correct. For less than half a newpix, it was four dots. The fourth dot apparently was mustard, as it was changed to three shortly after the OTT noticed it.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
edo wrote:I hope the next alt text isn't "---"!

And then it would change back to "..." I presume. :wink:

No, it would turn into "¯¯¯" when the sea reach the top.

Angelastic wrote:
Pikrass wrote:One example:
Spoiler:
これは芭蕉
のひじょうに有名な
俳句です

Written in kana only:
これはばしょう
のひじょうにゆうめいな
はいくです

Pronunciation:
ko-re-ha ba-shou
no hi-jou ni yuu-mei na
ha-i-ku de-su

Cool; I didn't know about mora (though I did know that haiku are more than just syllable counts; it's just that my haiku detector, which I guess started this trend, is not that smart, and besides, even checking for kigo would make unintentional haiku much rarer.) Isn't that は pronounced 'wa' though, in that context?

Yes it is. :) I just went for the Hepburn method and didn't think too much about it.

Random832 wrote:
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:Actually, no, the 5/7/5 thing is the original. The difference is that in Japanese these are not 5, 7 and 5 syllables, but morae. It's a subtle difference: a mora is not an entire syllable, it's just one sound.
Also, long vowels (e.g. "ō" おう) are one syllable but are two morae.

Sokuon (miniature っ as in "nippon" にっぽん) also count as a mora, but yoon (miniature other kana like ゃ in "ja" じゃ) do not, as I understand it.

So, a sokuon or a final ん is an extra mora without being an extra syllable (so "nippon" has two syllables, but four morae), but a yoon is an extra kana without being an extra mora (or an extra syllable). So for example "kyō" [今日, きょう, meaning "today"] is one syllable, two morae, and three kana.

EDIT: ...and I just realized that this could be read as a criticism of your example (which contains several long vowels counted as a single unit) - I hadn't read the example yet, but I stand by this as I always learned that a long vowel does count as two morae. If you have a source saying otherwise I would be interested to see it.

Yeah it bothered me too. I was pretty sure long vowels were morae themselves, but my example contradicted it. So I assumed I was wrong about my conception of a mora.
I just found other haikus, and most of them are consistent with your explanation. Maybe the rules are less strict than I thought.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 am UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
Random832 wrote:

It's fixed now - it's probably browser-dependent, since I think it generates malformed HTML markup.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 am UTC

*BLINDPOST NP 1237*
NetWeasel wrote:
k.bookbinder wrote:
kasmeneo wrote:General question: what is this thing about breaking the rope? Are their ropes of different material? Or just very brittle due to the salty environment?

It was Cueball's dream. I am terrible at finding the proper frame (perhaps someone can help?) but he dreamed that Megan was holding on to a rope that was in danger of breaking. Many of us saw it as foreshadowing, but it has yet come to pass.

I'm not sure if we found out anything other than the two quotes themselves... Are you sure the dream had anything to do with Megan, or was that just a guess at the time (GW1130)?

Oh! So it was a dream! I finally get it, that scene never made sense to me! :D
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:12 am UTC

HES wrote:Jesus La Petite, you guys! I didn't expect to have to ketchup at this time of day...

yappobiscuits wrote:Oh hey Kieryn! Why haven't I seen you yet, Oop North ain't THAT big :P

But it's bigger than it looks!
Or, at least, bigger than this southerner realised it was before deciding to move there in a couple of months.

Oh hey Yappo! Did not see your original post... Actually for the past 2.5 days it was a lie... I was actually in Devon. Back in Sheffield now though and returning to New York on Sunday.

Actually we'd have loved to visit the lakes...but we had a preset schedule mostly arrange by my mom. I'm presuming you are around there as your website mentions Cumbria. My wife's not been there yet even after I keep telling her how beautiful it is every year. Maybe next year we'll go, but then, we always say that. :-(
Image- Kieryn

partingLance

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:14 am UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:New title text has FOUR periods.

This is getting serious.

I once read a long interview with Gene Wilder, discussing the screenplay for Young Frankenstein. The interviewer noticed that the Creature's grunts are all transcribed as "nnnnnnn", and that every single instance in the entire script had a different number of n's. Gene Wilder was very happy that he'd noticed -- they'd done it deliberately. (And once you know, you can sort of tell, watching the movie.)

Sort of like the story about Harold Pinter, painstakingly explaining to actors the difference between a three-dot and a four-dot pause.

Hmmmm....
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Well, at least the alt text reflects the fact that they can no longer run - because there is no longer any place for them to run to.

I'm going to coma. I'll bet the alt text will take the opportunity to change while I'm hallucinating. After all, it changed every other time I was Outside.

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Aw, little girls and their penchant for picking up molpies of all sorts and showing them to others...

'preciate it.

I usually go to "User Control Panel." On the first, "Overview" page right by your total post count is a link that says "Show Your Posts" - this provides you with a searchable list.

Okay, I hate to drag this out, but when I do as you suggest, it shows me the same thing as the "View Your Posts". Also to @Latent22, I never see a clickable link of my username (unless I happen to show up in the image below as last poster). Ideas? Is the whole thing mustard'd? Maybe it's time to MolpyDown...

Spoilered for seaishness
Spoiler:

redundant
Spoiler:
yourposts.JPG

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”