1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

Tonight on Masterpiece Theatre....

Randall Munroe's The Odyssey.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:There has been talk of GLR's minions watching the OTT, for mustard and such. Does anyone have evidence from outside that he actually uses minions other than his own sweet self? I always assumed xkcd was a very personal project, not a team (other than a web team, perhaps). Anybody know anything? Not speculation! Just the facts, mam'.

Well. Facts, shmacts! But weren't we alerted to the extra meteor images by new posters who got moderator clearance unusally fast? I think this suggests that at least one moderator is a minion. And I don't think Randall himself is a moderator.

I like to think of Randall's minions as small, yellow and cute, like Gru's.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

Hmm. Thanks, everyone, for generating 14 frickin' pages since I was here last. *grumble grumble grumble* And I am so behind at work. Might be time to do a little skipping. But in trying to figure out where I left off, I saw these things I needed to reply to:

partingLance wrote:
Spoiler:
NetWeasel wrote:Prediction:

Newpic-- MEGAN: Now throw YOUR rope!
Next Newpic Other Twenty: WHAT rope?
Next Next Newpic: MEGAN: Chirpity Chirp-Chirp!

Reminds me of that classic episode of The WireH, where McNulty and Moreland investigate a cold-case murder scene, and for several minutes say nothing except "chirp," and variations thereon.

I think McNulty says "chirpity-chirp" at one point. Later, as comprehension dawns, Moreland says "motherchirper! Mother-chirper!!"

You could look it up.

ETA:

ucim wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Really what I'm suggesting / predicting is that when the water is done frisking about, we will transition into epilogue. We will not embark into a major Act N+1 of the Cueganites finding a new home, Megan going off to study with Rosetta, or whatever.
Agreed. But the water hasn't even begun to frisk yet. We are at the point where Luke and ObiWan set off in a hurry with Han Solo. (You didn't know his ship model was a "Hurry"?)

@edfel
- treeish graph!

Jose

I thought -- since they couldn't get a hurry -- they left in a huff? Or was that too soon, and was it really a minute and a huff?

In how many posts in the world would you find a reference to both The Wire and the Marx Brothers? :D

edfel wrote:[color=#0040FF]So... Update! here we go:

Spoiler:
timeline.png

Beautiful! Truly treeish!

And azule liked my voiceover. Yay! but he's in the past somewhere...

And now, la la la la la *skips to the present*

edited cuz I cant spel gud.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:There has been talk of GLR's minions watching the OTT, for mustard and such. Does anyone have evidence from outside that he actually uses minions other than his own sweet self? I always assumed xkcd was a very personal project, not a team (other than a web team, perhaps). Anybody know anything? Not speculation! Just the facts, mam'.

No evidence whatsoever.
All we know is, that on a number of occasions, “mustard” in the OTC has been ch*rped soon after it was noted by the OTT.
That could be a coincidence, and the GLR might just not have noticed the problem until the frame went ‘live’. (A bit unlikely, though, you'd think he'd check before doing that. But who know, He might catch 80% of the mustard beforehand, and we simply never know.)
It could also be the case that the GLR Himself is reading the OTT (or searching it for ‘mustard’). (He could be MobTeese, as someone suggested.) But if so, I don't know how He does it – create the OTC, all His other comics, What-If, *and* have time to read the OTT??

ETA:
Wildhound wrote:Apart from someone to maintain the website perhaps, or even just keep an eye on things when he's off work.

Yes, that's davean.
Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

No evidence whatsoever.
All we know is, that on a number of occasions, “mustard” in the OTC has been ch*rped soon after it was noted by the OTT.
That could be a coincidence, and the GLR might just not have noticed the problem until the frame went ‘live’. (A bit unlikely, though, you'd think he'd check before doing that. But who know, He might catch 80% of the mustard beforehand, and we simply never know.)
It could also be the case that the GLR Himself is reading the OTT (or searching it for ‘mustard’). (He could be MobTeese, as someone suggested.) But if so, I don't know how He does it – create the OTC, all His other comics, What-If, *and* have time to read the OTT??

I don't have time to read the OTT. He really would be a GLR if he could.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

HereBeUnmappedBits

Postby HereBeUnmappedBits » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Am I the only one who feels like the current frame might be the final frame? It's probably not but I can't shake the feeling.
I guess I'll find out in six minutes, until then I just
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

ETA: Yay I'm wrong. For now...
Last edited by HereBeUnmappedBits on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:02 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

I made an overlay of the Beaniemap with a bathymetric map of the Mediterranean. Might be helpful in figuring out where they are.

There's a significant chance they're in that temporary plain up in the northwest.

I'm aware that the coastline doesn't line up as well as it could, but the suboceanic mountains/hills DO line up better this way, and I think those are most important as coastline is more likely to be guesswork.

Something interesting I noticed while creating this: the mouth of the Rhone moved to Marseille. That is not a thing that makes much sense from a hydrological perspective.

After messing around with GIMP for a few hours to create this, there is nothing more I hate in the world than GIMP.

Spoiler:
bathy2.jpg

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:

No evidence whatsoever.

I don't have time to read the OTT. He really would be a GLR if he could.

Well, he isn't baking cakes, writing songs or creating redundikitties so that helps. We do have this, from Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16:03 pm
Stereo wrote:Hi guys, Randall says "oops, sorry about the brief wrong-frame update; there was a disagreement between servers about time zones. it's being sorted out and the normal timeline should resume momentarily."
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

LeavONG
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Am I the only one who feels like the current frame might be the final frame? It's probably not but I can't shake the feeling.

Since you mentioned it, I can see this being a wind down. Maybe in one more frame, after Cueball exits.

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:04 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:I made an overlay of the Beaniemap with a bathymetric map of the Mediterranean. Might be helpful in figuring out where they are.

There's a significant chance they're in that temporary plain up in the northwest.

I'm aware that the coastline doesn't line up as well as it could, but the suboceanic mountains/hills DO line up better this way, and I think those are most important as coastline is more likely to be guesswork.

Something interesting I noticed while creating this: the mouth of the Rhone moved to Marseille. That is not a thing that makes much sense from a hydrological perspective.

After messing around with GIMP for a few hours to create this, there is nothing more I hate in the world than GIMP.

I found it easier to mark up the map by hand, using the beanie map and the bathymetric data to determine where the various aspects should go, like this:

I don't think they should be in Marseilles bay yet, unless Randall is taking a truly free hand with the pace of refilling. More likely on the Rhone Fan or somewhere else along the continental shelf.
Last edited by tavella on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:LeavONG

This fills me with foreboding. Bye-bye raft!

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:I made an overlay of the Beaniemap with a bathymetric map of the Mediterranean.
Spoiler:
Might be helpful in figuring out where they are.

Wow, neat!

That's a great alignment you've made here, the shoreline of Cuegan's sea matches nicely with a level line :)
For the Rhone path, I'm also wondering about this... maybe it's one of the changes GLR foresees along with possible climatic changes.

I'll try to use it as a background for my map.... at some point in the future ^^ (I'm not using Gimp, but I understand.... inkscape is barely better when it comes to time-consuming stuff:/)
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

TimeLurker

Postby TimeLurker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:

neopifex, I love that a sense of dread is added to every ONG you get because of your "...thus ends Time" sig.
Voice of the Silent
Owner of the contents of Cueball's head
Lurking Time-Ninja of the Past-Post

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

svenman wrote:La Petite

Well, look about, look about, look about, look about, new sea!
Look about, look about, look about, look about, new sea!
Ooh! Ah! Ooh! Ah! New sea!

Spoiler:
Well, she's so fine, fine, fine, she's so fine, f-f-fine,
She's so fi-yi-yi-yi-yi-yine, she's so fine, fine, fine.
She's really neat, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet.

Oh, oh, oh, oh, - Oh, oh, oh, oh, -
La Petite, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet.

Well, have you ever seen a girl who wears a white beret,
Who'd save a sand castle and work for it all day?
She's so fine, she's so fine,
She's really neat, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet.

Well, she really takes a wooden deck and makes it float,
Saves all of us from drowning and doesn't need no boat!
She's alright, she's alright,
She's alright, wears her beret day and night.

La Petite, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet.
Oh!

Well, she's my cousin, she's awe-inducing,
Instead of drowning, she's got us smoothly cruising!
She's alright, she's got what it takes,
she's got what it takes, and what an awefulsome raft she makes!

Well, now she's our glimmer of hope, our river swimmer,
I'm sure without her our future would be dimmer!
She's alright, she's got just what it takes.
she's got what it takes, and what an awefulsome raft she makes!

La Petite, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet,
La Petite, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet,
La Petite, the brightest girl you ever gonna meet!

(Jackie Wilson, Reet Petite)

I didn't know the song before. Awesomeful ottification!

Spoiler:

Well, I should hope GLR wouldn't end it there. That would be a horrible ending. I mean, horribly unsatisfying. He wouldn't do that to us, right?

That's the second time they've said goodbye to their castle...

Nice map work, tavella and anabatica!

edited to make more sense. And then again to fix the thing my first edit screwed up.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:10 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Fictioneer wrote:
HereBeUnmappedBits wrote:Am I the only one who feels like the current frame might be the final frame? It's probably not but I can't shake the feeling.

Since you mentioned it, I can see this being a wind down. Maybe in one more frame, after Cueball exits.

Nah. I'd really be surprised (and mad!) if Time would be that open-ended.

Here's an updated animation, for no good reason:
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

anabatica wrote:
Spoiler:

Rivers do move, sometimes quite far. For the past century or so, the US Army Corps of Engineers (large, partly civil organization) has been trying to prevent the Mississippi River from being captured by the Atchafalaya. HUGE project. If it fails, New Orleans will be left pretty dry along with all of its commerce. The Atchafalaya mouth is about 300 miles west of the current Mississippi delta. John McPhee wrote a story about it. In fact, add McPhee to the list of book/author recommendations. It is all non-fiction, but wonderful stuff, including the geology of large parts of the American West.
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1987/0 ... _000347146
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_River
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

No evidence whatsoever.

We have circumstantial evidence. More than speculation, less than facts.
The two posters of the meteor frames hash info were approved quickly and were active only for about half an hourH.

Bay:
Last visited: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02:32 pm
Total posts: 2 | Search user’s posts

wonderchemist:
Last visited: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27:39 pm

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

I'm glad we're back on solid ground for a bit - good chance for molpies! Or other people, maybe...

mscha wrote:Happy 2000th, BlitzGirl! I don't really ‘do’ centennial cakes anymore (plenty of people are, so no huge miss), but I'll make an exception for the 2000th.
Spoiler:
Charm Quark wrote:Also, happy 2000th BlitzGirl! Image
ZoomanSP wrote:Happy 2000 posts, BlitzGirl!
Spoiler:

@svenman: Neat ottification! It's fun to sing along to that. :D
@anabatica and tavella: Thanks for the map-work!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

hajo

Postby hajo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:

So, it looks like everyone was curious and left the raft.
That means, no watch left behind.
Also, no sailor-experience yet - did anybody tow the raft to the shore ?

Nothing that could possibly go wrong here :mrgreen:

edfel

Postby edfel » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

tavella wrote:I found it easier to mark up the map by hand, using the beanie map and the bathymetric data to determine where the various aspects should go, like this:

Spoiler:

I don't think they should be in Marseilles bay yet, unless Randall is taking a truly free hand with the pace of refilling. More likely on the Rhone Fan or somewhere else along the continental shelf.

This pseudo-3D view is nice also, but it lacks precision ... and depth lines. It's also somehow harder to measure distances on it.

Anyway, I agree they're still certainly far below the continental shelf.
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

fatness

Postby fatness » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:I like to think of Randall's minions as small, yellow and cute, like Gru's.

I like to think of Randall's minions as mid-20's, blonde and cute. But then again I have a fairly intense fantasy life... 8-)

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
mscha wrote:

No evidence whatsoever.

We have circumstantial evidence. More than speculation, less than facts.
The two posters of the meteor frames hash info were approved quickly and were active only for about half an hourH.

Bay:
Last visited: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:02:32 pm

wonderchemist:
Last visited: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:27:39 pm

Based on that, it makes sense that Randall or one or more of his associates is aware of this thread and community, and decided to post the meteor frame bitstrings to make sure they weren't missed. Still just a theory, though.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

CasCat

Postby CasCat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

I hope they don't need the raft again. As others have noted, they didn't appear to tie it up or have someone on formal raft-watching duty (people still asleep on board don't count).

And that "crunch" when they hit land does not give me great confidence in the integrity of their prow-end flotation. I think they may have stove in a barrel or two.
BlitzGirl the Fast the First

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I'm glad we're back on solid ground for a bit - good chance for molpies! Or other people, maybe...

Yay for potential molpies! And I forgot to congratulate you on #2000! Considering what word people say on post 100, I hate to think what you said on post 2000. :twisted: I'll have to go back and look one of these days.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:Rivers do move, sometimes quite far. For the past century or so, the US Army Corps of Engineers (large, partly civil organization) has been trying to prevent the Mississippi River from being captured by the Atchafalaya. HUGE project. If it fails, New Orleans will be left pretty dry along with all of its commerce. The Atchafalaya mouth is about 300 miles west of the current Mississippi delta. John McPhee wrote a story about it. In fact, add McPhee to the list of book/author recommendations. It is all non-fiction, but wonderful stuff, including the geology of large parts of the American West.
http://www.newyorker.com/archive/1987/0 ... _000347146
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_River

Oh I know, I'm a hydrologist, but rivers move for a reason. They move when there's an easier way to reach the ocean (i.e. using less energy). The Mississippi should have moved and only hasn't because of human efforts. But this Rhone thing looks pretty random to me. It's not a shorter and/or easier path at all. But I guess in 10000 years there may have been changes that have made it so, or it may have been done on purpose by humans.

I can't think of any climate-change related reason for it... unless it was changes made to protect towns on its estuary that ended up raising their level and the level of the river quite a bit so that an alternate course became suitable.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

Wildhound wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

I'm fairly certain the entire creative process is his own, but he maybe runs his comics by a few friends/family before he decides to upload them, for proofreading and such.

Agreed. While undoubtedly a tremendous amount of work goes into xkcd, it is his full time job (or at least that's what I've been led to believe) and if that's the case I don't think he would require a team.

Apart from someone to maintain the website perhaps, or even just keep an eye on things when he's off work.

This page can answer some of these questions.
The javascript and the mechanism for newpix switch were probably set up by davean

First post bump:
kepstin wrote:Maybe there's going to be a little bit of sandcastle rebuilding for us!

Welcome here kepstin! You were right, thus you can't join the Predictors Club. We have a rule: our predictions have to be wrong.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

I did like the raptor flybys we got earlier, but they were too zoomed-out to satisfy my molpy-hunting-fix. Bring on the landmolpies!

lmjb1964 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:I'm glad we're back on solid ground for a bit - good chance for molpies! Or other people, maybe...
Yay for potential molpies! And I forgot to congratulate you on #2000! Considering what word people say on post 100, I hate to think what you said on post 2000. :twisted: I'll have to go back and look one of these days.

What did I say? *checks* Hmm...nothing too exciting, I'm afraid. I think the most exciting word I used in that post was "Lollipop."

To make up for it, I will now post a large and very vulgar image:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And azule liked my voiceover. Yay! but he's in the past somewhere...
I liked it too. I think you'd be an awesome Rosetta.

I don't much like the idea of reversing reversed speech... rather, I think layering many tracks of the other words on top of each other as she figures out what she's trying to say would be a faithful reproduction of what the OTA depicted, and would be cool to boot. Add some echo and you're good to go.

mscha wrote:... the GLR might just not have noticed the problem until the frame went ‘live’. (A bit unlikely, though, you'd think he'd check before doing that...
The best spell checker in the world is the print button. :)

anabatica wrote:I made an overlay of the Beaniemap with a bathymetric map of the Mediterranean.
Really cool ma(ni)p! The flow is probably eastwards, so they may not end up in Beanietown. That would be quite a stretch.

@tavella - Your map is treeish too, in a different way. Kind of like there are different trees.

Fictioneer wrote:Since you mentioned it, I can see this being a wind down. Maybe in one more frame, after Cueball exits.
No way. The other shoe hasn't dropped. It can't end here.

fatness wrote:I like to think of Randall's minions as mid-20's, blonde and cute. But then again I have a fairly intense fantasy life... 8-)
I like to think of my minions that way. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

What did I say? *checks* Hmm...nothing too exciting, I'm afraid. I think the most exciting word I used in that post was "Lollipop."

To make up for it, I will now post a large and very vulgar image:
Spoiler:

Shocking! That sort of thing should never be allowed!

ucim wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:And azule liked my voiceover. Yay! but he's in the past somewhere...
I liked it too. I think you'd be an awesome Rosetta.

I don't much like the idea of reversing reversed speech... rather, I think layering many tracks of the other words on top of each other as she figures out what she's trying to say would be a faithful reproduction of what the OTA depicted, and would be cool to boot. Add some echo and you're good to go.

mscha wrote:... the GLR might just not have noticed the problem until the frame went ‘live’. (A bit unlikely, though, you'd think he'd check before doing that...
The best spell checker in the world is the print button. :)

Really cool ma(ni)p! The flow is probably eastwards, so they may not end up in Beanietown. That would be quite a stretch.

@tavella - Your map is treeish too, in a different way. Kind of like there are different trees.

Fictioneer wrote:Since you mentioned it, I can see this being a wind down. Maybe in one more frame, after Cueball exits.
No way. The other shoe hasn't dropped. It can't end here.

fatness wrote:I like to think of Randall's minions as mid-20's, blonde and cute. But then again I have a fairly intense fantasy life... 8-)
I like to think of my minions that way. :)

Jose

Thanks, Jose! I'll give Rosetta a try if we have auditions for her.

Wait, you have minions??

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:38 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:Wait, you have minions??
Doesn't everybody? Didn't you get the memo?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

I just want to point out, to all the worried people, that we haven't seen 39 characters leave the raft yet. Some of them are still waking up.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

The raftcastle with the still-sleeping members of the Forty is probably going to drift out to sea-river again while this small batch of Cueganites is exploring the trees...

That would certainly cut the character count back down to reasonable numbers...
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:I just want to point out, to all the worried people, that we haven't seen 39 characters leave the raft yet. Some of them are still waking up.
That's even more worrisome. They won't know to stick together. Hopefully somebody's watching.

Jose

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:42 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

Jose

Damn, I knew I should have read that more closely. Now what am I going to do with all these onions??
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:43 pm UTC

*gasp* BlitzGirl! That m*stard was chirpin' dirrrrrrrty! 8-) :wink:

Happy belated 2000!

HAL9000 wrote:I just want to point out, to all the worried people, that we haven't seen 39 characters leave the raft yet. Some of them are still waking up.

I just assumed that several had gone on into the trees off-screen and we didn't necessarily see them pass.
Last edited by Valarya on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

anabatica

Postby anabatica » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

ucim wrote:

I'm not sure about eastwards. Flow follows contours. Of course, it normally follows contours in a downwards direction, but in this case I think it might follow contours up.

When looking at groundwater flow maps, or even when determining stream direction from elevation maps, direction of flow is perpendicular to contour lines representing groundwater head/elevation. So I'm tempted to say that direction of flow in this situation will be perpendicular to contour lines also, going up. Which would put them on the Gulf of Lion or somewhere in that "mountainy" bit where the Balearic plain is rising towards the Gulf of Lion as suggested by tavella.

But I'm making a number of assumptions here about water movement. I'm not accustomed to an upwards direction of flow so this is new and strange to me.
Last edited by anabatica on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:51 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

spamjam wrote:
mscha wrote:

No evidence whatsoever.

It would be interesting if the next time we see a blatant mustard (like the the s/he pronoun mix up) that nobody mentions it on the thread and see if it is still remedied as quick as the others. (although this is probably next to impossible to coordinate with everyone who can post to the OTT) but it would be a 'neat' experiment. It could be posted about later then to see if everyone agreed it was mustard. I think if it was either not fixed, or fixed half way to the next newpix, it would be an indication that the minions rely on us to proof the frame.
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Damn, I knew I should have read that more closely. Now what am I going to do with all these onions??

:lol:

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Well, you know what they say: when life gives you onions, make onionade.
wait, no, that's not right...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”