1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mrob27

1190: Time: THESE AREN'T THE SPURLERS YOU'RE WAITING FOR FOR

Postby mrob27 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:25 pm UTC

Happy Heretical New Yip (for some of you this has already come to pass)

autemome has a few yip-RELATED optional decrees for all 'yall:

OPTIONAL DECREE: BRING ME YOUR WEIRD, YOUR PRICKLY, YOUR WOWTERFUL YIPS YEARNING TO HIDE FROM CORINNE MOLPISHLY
OPTIONAL DECREE: SAVE A YIP, CRENELLATE A COMAVISION
OPTIONAL DECREE: ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR YAPPOCISED YIP
OPTIONAL DECREE: REMAIN CALM AND OTTCOLOURISE YIPS
OPTIONAL DECREE: LOOK ON MY YIPS, YE OTCOLOURED, AND :AZULE:!
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; It's 2018 again!

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:01 am UTC

svenman wrote:Happy new botcastle, balthasar_s!
No, It's still the same computer.
But now it's somewhere else.
It's no longer in my parents' house.
Now it's in my own place.

I was in my parents' house now and the server was not there.
As I told once, when my movable computer is in the same network as the server I have to make it use the server's internal IP.

So usually the first thing when turning on the computer after arriving there was "sudo moonbase in".
But this time it was "sudo moonbase out".

(but maybe ther can be an actual new botcastle soon? Now that I have my own base, I can define what is there.)

One of the problems that thin botcastle has is that after turning on the time difference from ntp can be applied twice.
For this reason, when it was still new, in 2014, it could sometimes think, for some short time that it is 2018 which was a source of some other problems.
The famous "2018 mustard"

And now it's actually 2018!
The future is here,

aut[eo]m[eo]m[eo] is making decrees and I don't know how to react to them.
BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:02 am UTC

Happy New Year, Time!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

AluisioASG

Postby AluisioASG » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:18 am UTC

Happy 6th (Time-3m21d), addams and everyone!
Gingercat wrote:Yeah, my players just decided to sit back and watch the Nukewisp frenzy itself to Annihilation-level fire energy, THEN they killed it.
Thus ended that campaign.
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: Time: THESE AREN'T THE SPURLERS YOU'RE WAITING FOR FOR

Postby SBN » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:11 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:Happy Heretical New Yip (for some of you this has already come to pass)

autemome has a few yip-RELATED optional decrees for all 'yall:

OPTIONAL DECREE: BRING ME YOUR WEIRD, YOUR PRICKLY, YOUR WOWTERFUL YIPS YEARNING TO HIDE FROM CORINNE MOLPISHLY
OPTIONAL DECREE: SAVE A YIP, CRENELLATE A COMAVISION
OPTIONAL DECREE: ATTACK ITS WEAK POINT FOR YAPPOCISED YIP
OPTIONAL DECREE: REMAIN CALM AND OTTCOLOURISE YIPS
OPTIONAL DECREE: LOOK ON MY YIPS, YE OTCOLOURED, AND :AZULE:!

Here it has, but only just. I shall attempt comavisions, as soon as my neighbors finish blowing up their money. I'd still prefer that we just reset the simulation to 2015, but I'm glad to be done with 2017.

I recently heard of someone named Azule. Thankfully it was not an in person introduction as it wouldn't do to :azule at Azule.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:22 am UTC

Yes.
Good-Bye 2017...

phew) We thought 2016 was rough...

I Love the Whole Thread.
Especially Now.
Last edited by addams on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

hujackus

Epilogue Sequence Predictions 2018-2021

Postby hujackus » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 am UTC

It new year's eve. Time for predicting.

I'm still terrible at explaining so I'll just update my image from last time.
After applying sloshers. more_epilogue_predictions.png
Spoiler:

2018's sequence should be
DCAECDBABAEDBADECBCBDADC
CDEADEABABDEABEABCBCABCD with slosher D at 0, on the 10th
AEDCBAEDCCBAEDCBAECDCCBA with slosher D at 0, on the 21st-29th
EACDABDECDABDEBCEADECDAB

I look forward to more theories. So far DCAECD is correct for Jan 1st.
2020 and 2021 are most probably wrong, but I felt like doubling down and it's getting late :roll:

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:59 am UTC

Yay - it's hujackus! And he's predicting the same sequence I am. :) (Which isn't so surprising, considering that I'm mostly basing my predictions on his treeish pattern-matching.) I am a little curious: I thought you'd lean towards pulling 2018 from the f column of the hexadecimal extrapolation, but like me, you're going for the b column - is that for the same reason I am? In my case, it's because I'm overly attached to the idea that the 20's row of 2013 should just descend constantly, and that a plausible way to achieve that (at least for the first 2/3 of the sequence is to put the unknown block before the half-known 8-9-a-b block.

I feel slightly doomed in my approach though, because I still don't see how to reconcile the final block of four with a descending 20's row. Do you have any ideas about that?
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:47 pm UTC

Now when frame 190 is finally posted I can reveal a mistake that I made.
Originally, instead of 168 I wrote 186 in the IP address.

This is a mistake that I couldn't allow to stay there so I had to fix it.
but it's an animated frame so this wasn't a very quick fix...
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:04 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:
Where did you find that? Nevermind... I don't think I want to know! (btw, check for tag fail) :)

Happy 3 Summit everyone!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:14 am UTC

ggh wrote:Yay - it's hujackus! And he's predicting the same sequence I am. :) (Which isn't so surprising, considering that I'm mostly basing my predictions on his treeish pattern-matching.) I am a little curious: I thought you'd lean towards pulling 2018 from the f column of the hexadecimal extrapolation, but like me, you're going for the b column - is that for the same reason I am?
I wish I could have figured out which 4x4 block to use (the one ending on f or b), but I haven't had a clue since 2015. I simply had to wait two years to find out which one it was going to be. Everything this time is based on the first letter from January 1st, which was a D.

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:23 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 am UTC

On the First Day of the Year, I was taken to the Beach.

I knew Nothing about Mt. Emily, until today.
Her rocks are pretty.
Oranges and white.

I have puzzled over Mt. Emily's rocks for years.
Now, I have a few answers and some new rocks.

Mt. Emily's rocks sometimes look like lace,
Other times they look like art, or like lichen.
Spoiler:
Mount Emily - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Emily
Mount Emily (Tolowa: en-may) is a mountain in the Klamath Mountains of
southwestern Oregon in the United States. It is located in southern Curry County
in the extreme southwest corner of the state, near Brookings, approximately 5
miles (8.0 km) from the Pacific Ocean and 5 miles (8.0 km) from the California
state line.
(shrug) Rocks...I like Rocks.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 am UTC

hujackus wrote:
ggh wrote:Yay - it's hujackus! And he's predicting the same sequence I am. :) (Which isn't so surprising, considering that I'm mostly basing my predictions on his treeish pattern-matching.) I am a little curious: I thought you'd lean towards pulling 2018 from the f column of the hexadecimal extrapolation, but like me, you're going for the b column - is that for the same reason I am?
I wish I could have figured out which 4x4 block to use (the one ending on f or b), but I haven't had a clue since 2015. I simply had to wait two years to find out which one it was going to be. Everything this time is based on the first letter from January 1st, which was a D.
I had a hunch, but then I realized this morning that it was based on a faulty premise, and then I forgot again why that was. A bigger brain would be so very, very useful.... But here's where I was coming from:

The epilogue sequence started on the third hour of the day in the 20's. That day continued:
CDCBAECDAEDCBAEDCCDCBA
without sloshers, it would have been:
EDCBAEEDAEDCBAEDDCDCBA
which we have grouped like this (and I'm going to add back in those first two hours to make it look like we're used to):
BAED CBAE ED AEDC BAED DC DCBA
Within every group, we've got descending letters.

So, what if we pad it out to fours like this instead to try to keep it flowing between groups?
BAED CBAE DCBA EDCB AEDC BAED CBAE DCBA DCBA
That would make a straight descent... until it falls apart on those last four.

So what to do with the last four? Say that it stops there? Jam an extra 6 letters before them somehow? I was even considering plopping in a whole extra set of four fours in there to bring the thing back to a nice even 64, like this:
BAED CBAE DCBA EDCB AEDC BAED CBAE DCBA EDCB AEDC BAED CBAE DCBA EDCB AEDC BAED

By this point, even I realize that I'm really reaching here. Why on earth would the third group of each set of four fours, and the third group of the four sixteens be skipped? And even if they were, that would mean that the smallest compact form of 2013 would be EDCB, not EDB, and it wouldn't be that beautiful transposed column of the 14th hour of 2013, and everything falls apart.

So yeah, I'm stuck. If I try too hard to make the descent last for that first day, I break it. But the amount of descent that is already present seems too much to be coincidental to me, especially since the very first frame is a (sloshed) E. That's why I put my money on that D coming up first, but it's going to be a long four-year wait to find out if that padding block is indeed there.

Addams, I was curious about your orange rocks. Suddenly I couldn't remember seeing orange rocks, so, of course, I did a google image search. Naturally, this popped up:

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 7.20.44 pm.png
Last edited by ggh on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:31 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

january1may

Postby january1may » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 am UTC

New BSTA, apparently...

A creature is standing in front of a building.
Today, the...
What time is it, in the game, anyway?

97:45 or so left until next frame (I have no idea how much it was originally).

Regular OTTing should probably commence later todip (I've been planning to work on my blitz attempt for a while).

EDIT: finally posted a new blitz report. Only took me twenty and a half nopix. Somehow, there had only been one other comment in all of that time. The OTT is getting a bit slow...
Last edited by january1may on Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There are two films that I particularly like.
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.
The other one, of course, is Back to the Future.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Addams, I was curious about your orange rocks. Suddenly I couldn't remember seeing orange rocks, so, of course, I did a google image search. Naturally, this popped up:

rsir:
Spoiler:
Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 7.20.44 pm.png
I think Mt. Emily kicked me, while my back was turned.
I had such a nice Time at the Beach.

Today my left leg won't work!
(Grumble!) Damn it, Mt. Emily!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

january1may

Postby january1may » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:42 am UTC

And, as promised - here is my blitz report! A very long report for a very short segment :D

I wonder if I'll get to the Present within this century... probably not by the end of 2018, anyway.

JFOM Blitz Report 12
Progress: NP22/np76

I still like the idea of "cheating in an interesting way".
(Really, isn't all video recording kind of like that? Both for the original capture, and for the re-recording of TV programs later.)

Someone noticed the javascript. Again. At least they remembered to mention that they didn't check whether it was posted earlier.

And (perhaps) the first bit of (early) OTTish vocabularly appears on NP17 - MMPONS, i.e. "Massively Multiplayer Online Nerd Sniping" (yes, I know it's supposed to be MMONS, but that's how the original poster spelled it).
Said original poster made 23 more posts on the OTT (and one more outside it), most recently on NP249 (about the University of Washington in the Late Cretaceous, which I commented on in my original blitz shortly before it petered out).

It's weird to even think about a simple solution for the OTC... it probably wasn't a relationship analogy, however.

Someone named K-R noticed the firstpost-related bumping. KarMann proceeded to explain the firstpost-relatedness - though I doubt that those firstposts were approved by Randall personally. (PolakoVoador confirms that part; KarMann says that xe didn't mean it literally.)

Ha ha ha, Minecraft! That's hilarious. Which is probably why this particular idea was written, admittedly.

The post claiming about 666 posts is apparently indeed the post number 666 (OTT:17:25 by the mr0bdex system). This presumably means a displacement of 0 or less (likely 0, because it's too early for popegoating).

Sadly, at NP17, there was still over twice as much to go until the actual longest comic thread at the time (51 pages, and locked).

Beatrice The Golden posts again, and proves that xe's probably not GLR, with the wildly missing prediction 5. 6 is kind of true but obvious; the unnumbered 7th prediction is pretty much literally true in almost every detail... wait, did I say xe's not GLR?
(I did, however, chuckle a bit at the idea of a sand raptor.)

Someone noticed the javascript. Again. Did I mention running joke?

"A whole week"? Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha. How about a whole several months?
(NoMouse, on NP18, proposed exactly that possibility.)

Beatrice The Golden posts again (still on NP17), frantically defending the one of xer predictions that didn't come true. In the process considering several ideas that came a long closer.

IIRC, the names Cueball and Megan were established in the early days of Explain XKCD (before the OTC even started). In retrospect, it's a weird mishmash - either Cueball should've been named Rob, or Megan should've been named Cutie (both options came up in early discussions on said site). Of course, then there might not have been a convenient way to say Cuegan or Megball...

I agree that when Randall does post a metaphor for his personal life, it is usually (always?) stated outright. Since there is no such statement in the OTC (then or later), it is extremely unlikely to be such a metaphor.

"Hypothesis: It's not sand. It's cornstarch." - dalcde
Is that the first such hypothesis on the OTT? There aren't any listed in my previous report...

...Never heard of any Keanu Reeves memes. And what the ch*rp is a Philosoraptor?

There were problems with getting "the 8am image" - that is to say, np65. Presumably some automatic system must have saved it (in fact, this appears to be how it was recovered).

TheBauhausCure had apparently blitzed through the OTT. Mind you, with only 19 pages, it would've been relatively easy.

Today, the Book of Aubron shows a weird "pageok" page. Anyone recalls what it looked like back when it actually worked?

I'm guessing that the "Primus GIF" is one of those auto-updating gifs. I wonder how long it took until the last of those stopped updating...

Lol sandcastles indeed! (CF259 on NP20)

...Why are people talking about tiny trebuchets? Is there a reason why this idea came up so much?

Assorted animated shorts - that is, animated pictures of shorts - are posted on NP20. I'm glad that this seems to be an OTT meme that didn't continue later.
(...Wait, it didn't, right? Well, I hope it did not, anyway.)

Two different unrelated posters in a row used their respective only post on the fora to propose the idea that the OTC was a reference to Game of Thrones. (It is not, for the record.)
Fortunately, despite being technically next to each other, the two posts are spread over two different pages (one is the last of NP20, the other is the first of NP21).

Anyone knows if stringman's animated version with a slider went anywhere? That's xer only post, so I know that xe didn't just post it later.
(Also, poor SexyTalon for having to deal with the OTT...)

"This thread has got me listening to 9 Beet Stretch, which is awesome, like a weird cross between György Ligeti and Boards of Canada." - ToomanyUIDs, NP21
(Anyone recognizes any of those three? From the context, I'm guessing they must be band names...)

...And there's no real finishing point - I just decided that I might as well stop for the moment :D

And, for that matter, I can hardly post this without...

Meta-Title-Text!
(Seriously, why didn't it catch on?)

I'm skipping over 366 (not sure I could make this weird comic funny), 1621 (a bit too complicated for the moment), 1596 (sufficiently well made that I can't think of a joke that wouldn't just be "meh"), 1249 (too complicated, again), 1593 (I'm about as familiar with this particular variety of sportsball as he is), 579 (part of a series, and also weird), 459 (too unfamiliar with either setting to write a reasonable reference), 976 (self-contained, really)...
...OK, at this point I might as well be skipping until I hit a comic I can actually do. There are at least a few dozen of those. I swear.
For the record, 122 was the next, then 1791, then 886 (I could only think of one joke, and it's too obvious), then 719, then 932, then 1299, then 1892 (had it been that recently?), then 553, then 1240, then 2 (haha), then 1124...

...then one that was actually checkable, and the check worked out nicely, so I might as well go with it.

Original title text: "Someday, the 'in popular culture' section will have its own article with an 'in popular culture' section. It will reference this title-text referencing it, and the blogosphere will implode."
Meta-title text: "'Popular culture has been referenced in popular culture before.' - Wikipedia, 'Popular culture', section 'In Popular Culture'"

(For the record, right now, the entire section in question consists of the phrase I quoted and a single broken citation link. I suspect that it might well be vandalism - what with being added by an IP last week - but it was just too funny.)
One of them is a science-fiction dramatic comedy involving a boy who accidentally travelled in time. Extremely popular when it originally came out in 1985, it retains a major cult following to this day.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 am UTC

january1may I have had two questions for you ever since I first came across your early blitzposts.

What does the first half of your name mean?
And what is the other film that you particularly like?
Wait For It.

january1may

Postby january1may » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:january1may I have had two questions for you ever since I first came across your early blitzposts.

What does your name mean?
And what is the first film that you particularly like?

My username here (and in many other places), "january1may", is a shortened version of "January First-of-May" (which I still use as my AH.com username), which in turn is a translation of "Январь Первомайский" (which I still use as my Wikia username).
The origin of that? Back in 2007, I wanted to came up with a witty nickname to use on Absurdopedia (the Russian version of Uncyclopedia), and ended up combining the date of my birth and the closest subway station to my home.
(I actually thought that it already came up on the OTT previously - but my brief searches didn't find a single such post. Maybe I just explained it so many times on CCF and/or SV - and possibly elsewhere - that I didn't realize that I've forgotten to do it on the OTT.)

As for the film - it's a real one, and pretty famous, but as a recent discussion showed, 1) it's more popularly perceived as a miniseries (which it, admittedly, kind of is), rather than a film as such, and 2) apparently some sources give a non-1985 date for it (though the official premiere almost certainly really was in 1985), and, IIRC, the IMDB database is among them. Oh, and 3) it didn't get an English translation until several years later, which significantly diminished its possible popularity in English-speaking countries.
I hope that the additional details I gave should be enough to identify it :D but if that doesn't help, I might try to post more hints later.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:44 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:january1may [...] And what is the other film that you particularly like?
Oooh oooh oooh! I know the answer! It's in xir sig: "The other one, of course, is Back to the Future." It's always fun to her the blitzreports from january1may (and from january1maynot, and january2mayinstead.... :)

addams wrote:Today my left leg won't work!
You were lucky you weren't Lucky'd. :) Even legs should get a day off every now and then; think of all the work they do for you! Hope you're bounding about again soon!

ggh - about those rocks - am I going to have to call ggh to keep you in line?

I forgot ~ what are sloshers? (I'll be sitting in the comfy chair).

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 am UTC

ucim wrote:I forgot ~ what are sloshers? (I'll be sitting in the comfy chair).

Jose
Sloshers are cups of Tea or Coffee carried across a room walking forward.
By walking backward and starring straight ahead, the contents of the cup stays put.

Don't you keep up with the Scientific Ig Nobel Awards?
https://www.improbable.com/ig/2017/

I am willing to concede, Sloshers may also be waterproof boots worn while doing farm work.
Sloshers may also be an Astronomical Phenomena. Or;..
Sloshers may be related to floaters in the humors of the human Eye.

Huh?...It seems, I have No Idea what Sloshers are.
Let me know, when you know more.

I am Off To The Comfy Chair!
Spoiler:
I fear you must move or share, Jose.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Mild Summer Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 am UTC

Oh hey, you're here!
So am I.

Um...
So this time I didn't think of writing and sending a newsletter to people, unlike some past yips in which I though of doing it and never succeeded. But I did think of sending a Christmas email to a couple of friends. One wrote back and shared the news that he "Put a ring on it". Treeish!

On new year's dip (in the afternoon) we visited some neighbours who have a pool and had offered to let us have a swim. We brought our new rubber ducks with us and found they work well as impromptu squirt guns! (One brother gave us rubber ducks because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5d8pVg3Qtg )

In another part of Australia a watercastle full of fireworks caught fire and exploded. Oops! That's a New Year's celebration to remember. And RUN away fast from.

Last nip I went out for a really pleasant evening walk in the light of the full skycircle. No bicycles though. It was a really nice temperature.
The temperature's pretty cool todip. Only the low to mid twenties. (Celsius.) On the wipend it's forecast to get back into the thirties... and likely the high thirties on Sundip!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:20 pm UTC

january1may wrote:Today, the Book of Aubron shows a weird "pageok" page. Anyone recalls what it looked like back when it actually worked?

I remember it being originally a rainbow page, with the OTC automatically playing (like a .gif) in the middle of it. Later on it got controls to pause, reverse, etc.

january1may wrote:...Why are people talking about tiny trebuchets? Is there a reason why this idea came up so much?

Probably because of this frame:

RSIR
Spoiler:
Time403.png
Time403.png (8.32 KiB) Viewed 18375 times
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:55 pm UTC

Sloshers aren't very exciting I'm afraid. (In fact perhaps the most exciting thing about them is my mental image of Addams and Jose jockeying for position on the comfy chair.) My contribution to the epilogue exploration was to be really irritated by the almost-symmetries that slinches had noted. It bugged me so much that I was finally forced to realize that there was a post-process applied to what started out as beautifully symmetric sequences - this post-process (poorly) tried to break up frame repetitions by replacing the repeated frame with a C or D.

Since we're talking about the epilogue where the only thing that's happening is that water is moving, I called these frames sloshers because they keep water moving that would otherwise be still.

When talking about the epilogue now, it's generally easier (for me at least) to talk about the "base sequences", the sequences without sloshers. Sloshers only obscure the patterns we're trying to learn about, and sloshers are trivial to add back in if we need to. The base sequences can reduce right down too, which is treeish - the whole year can be distilled into just three letters. That's how I could lazily predict DEB on the last NP and be calling the same sequences that hujackus more considerately wrote out just above. :)

Nice to see you blitzing and meta-ing January1May!
I've listened to Boards of Canada, but I don't remember what they sounded like anymore. I guess I didn't find them mind-blowing. ymmv.
(I read ToomanyUIDs as ToomanyIUDs. *shifts uneasily*)

High 30's? Can you get back into your neighbour's pool, ED?
(And post duck pics!)
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I forgot ~ what are sloshers? (I'll be sitting in the comfy chair).

This page explains it better than I would..

ETA: ninjaed!
I tried to figure out what we have figured out.
and.
i finally understand something!

ggh wrote:which is treeish - the whole year can be distilled into just three letters.
I find this very treeish too.
For those who want to see it in action:
epilong.ods
(182.4 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

(ods file, openable with Libre Office Calc)
edit the first three letters of a year (0,10,20) and the rest will autogenerate.

I agree with hujackus' prediction.

mrob27 wrote:I did some research on the latter, and found what I believe to be the original

Thank you for finding it.
It is not identical to what I found when I learned that the Polish version is a translation and not an original.
The Polish translation looks like it is based on the original you found.
Spoiler:
kieszkomp.gif

I found an online generator for the translated too: http://alchemik.ch.pwr.wroc.pl/lem/

Otherotherstory:
anyone noticed the javascript colors?
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:
january1may wrote:...Why are people talking about tiny trebuchets? Is there a reason why this idea came up so much?

Probably because of this frame

Trebuchets (both tiny and regular-sized) were mentioned several Tims before they appeared in Time. When Cueball started bombarding the castle many took it as a sign that Randall was basing the comic on the thread.

I think the reason they appeared so often in the thread is the same reason they were depicted in the comic: trebuchets are awesome.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:48 pm UTC

Some more observations and predictions about the epsilONGs:

First, using hujackus' method we extrapolate 2010-2013:
Then we notice that the square that defines 2014-2017 can be found in previous years rotated by 90 degrees in the following places in the previous 4 years:
And now we have 2018 available. And Hujackus' prediction for 2018-2021 based on that.
And we can see that the same is true about these years too:
And here comes my guess:
Maybe this will also continue to be like this in the future?
If yes, then this is my prediction for 2022-2025:
2026-2029:

And so on...

We will find out in 2022.
Let's wait for it.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
epsilong10.png
epsilong14.png
epsilong18.png
epsilong22.png
epsilong26.png
BFTF replay

ggh

Postby ggh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:53 pm UTC

Huh. That prediction agrees completely with my descending 20's posted above for 2022-2026, but looks a lot more convincing.
I don't have a spreadsheety thing - could you back-propagate the sequences back to 1970 using your method to see if there's any credence there for the padding to 64?
1970... huh, that's interesting.
Agatha the Awesomeful

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 am UTC

Extending it this way gives a cycle of 20 years:

But now I think this is too good to be true.
I still keep this prediction, but now I expect a pattern break in 2020.
Why?
Everything else in these patterns depends on single digits.
I don't see why the year would be an exception.
Now I see something like this:

For 2020-202f I see three possibilities.
In 2020 the pattern can:
  1. just continue,
  2. repeat like for 2010, if it doesn't depend on the decade digit
  3. change, if the decade digit is a new variable

2020 is the year to wait for.

The 2018 mustard.
If it happens right now, the computer will think that it's 2026 now.
If only the xkcd servers could catch this kind of mustard...

Can anyone convince GLR to host xkcd on a Cubieboard? :D

Redundant
Spoiler:
epilong20.png
epilong20.png (14.84 KiB) Viewed 17046 times
epilong16.png
epilong16.png (5.85 KiB) Viewed 17046 times
BFTF replay

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Dinner Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 am UTC

Hmm we might need to get in the pool to survive :P Or maybe our own dam but that's far less pleasant cos it's muddy and icky and is generally mustard to step in. Maybe leeches?

Did y'all hear at the end of this mip we're having a Super Blue Blood Moon? Ahhhh!
I'll get you some duck pics soon. My duck is special because it has a star on the top of its head and a logo on the converse side.
Spoiler:
Duck Taylors
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 am UTC

Thanks, balthasar!
OMR - your pattern and my pattern agree! Adding those invisible 16 before the last group wasn't madness. This is... I'm excited. The OTT is going to break this chirper. There's still a problem with the extra 16 that bugs me, but I'm gonna try to put it out of my mind for now.

Okay, so yeah, 2020 is a problem. But not for sure. 50/50 maybe? What if there are three functions at work here? The third function is the sloshers. The first function is the descent of the 20's, which, more importantly, is also the continual ascent of your third column. We might have thought that a year's sequence could be summed up by 3 letters, but really it's enough to have that one letter and the (year mod 4) value, isn't it?

The middle function - the one that expands the whole thing out as a function of hours and the 10's digit of the days - that one we see, but only the result, not the algorithm. It'd be neat to have a clean elegant formula that does that. We find that and we're happy. We see if a few years verify it, then we pop the champagne and call mscha.

Will 2020 break anything? Could be, but if we've got all the other pieces by then, I bet we can just factor that in and see what the glitch is. I bet once we know why the hours get broken up like they do, we'll have insight into any other shenanigans.

The 1970... that's a funny one, eh? I asked you to go back to there because when I pad the sequence out to 64, 1970 would be the first year that would be revealed through hujackus's method. Is having that date coincide with the unix epoch a coincidence? Posix time is used in Haskell if my googling hasn't led me astray, and we've suspected Haskell to be RELATED all along. Far-fetched? Yeah. But it would be treeish, eh? And it might even explain why the OTC ended on such an epsilon frame-count. And GLR would come riding in on a rainbow narwhal to share with us a weird tip that really reduces belly fat.
G.G., get a hold of yourself, none of these triumphs are in the books yet.

*molpies off to look up "Super Blue Blood Moon"*
Last edited by ggh on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1260

Postby mscha » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:00 am UTC

SOURONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:NO BUFFYHAT IN THE 'VERSE CAN OTTCOLORISE ME!

-- posted by randompixbot

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:18 am UTC

I did some more mattern patching and I think I can generate the the yearcubes using bit operations (AND, XOR) and addition/subtraction mod5.
More on this later.
now FFS, then some work at home,
should have some time in the late evening for this.
BFTF replay

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:58 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; Yearcube

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:55 pm UTC

I have it!
Part 1/2 - the yearcube:

Ok, I still keep with this prediction:

I call this the yearcube:
it's made of 4 squares of 4x4, (last column not shown) so a 4x4x4 cube.

Can this be generated by a formula?
It can.

Let's assign numerical values, A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4.
This is the correct mapping and there is more than one reason for that.

So, the values in a yearcube depend on the last year digit (now called Y) and 10s of hours digit (now called T)

We have this now:

1. Now we make the these squares:
    1. filled with Y AND 0x1 - we get horizontal rows of 0 and 1.
    2. filled with T AND 0x1- we get vertical rows of 0 and 1.
    3. a XOR of the previous ones - we get a chessboard pattern of 0 and 1.
  2. Now we make the these squares:
    1. filled with Y AND 0x2 - we get horizontal rows of 0 and 2.
    2. filled with T AND 0x2- we get vertical rows of 0 and 2.
    3. a XOR of the previous ones - we get a chessboard pattern of 0 and 2.
  3. And now we make these squares:
    1. filled with Y AND 0xC.
  4. And finally, we add the results of step C and A and subtract step B (mod 5 of course)
    And the result is...
    our yearcube!

So the formula would be:
(Y AND 0xC) + ((Y AND 0x1) XOR (T AND 0x1)) - ((Y AND 0x2) XOR (T AND 0x2))

We don't know if it depends on other digits of the year, so we don't know how next yearcubes will behave.

But can we do a similar trick for extending "horizontally" to the full year?
Yes, but this has to wait for my next post.

it takes some time to prepare such a post and it's late already.
Wait for it.
I'll try to make my next post tomorrow evening.

Redundant
Spoiler:
yearcube-0.png
yearcube-0.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 15981 times
yearcube-1.png
yearcube-1.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 15981 times
yearcube-2.png
yearcube-2.png (9.74 KiB) Viewed 15981 times
yearcube-3.png
yearcube-3.png (7.26 KiB) Viewed 15981 times
yearcube-4.png
yearcube-4.png (12.44 KiB) Viewed 15981 times
BFTF replay

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pm UTC

Baobabs!
I had to read this post twice before I could understand it, but it looks very promising.
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

bOTTeriada goes ONG

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:11 am UTC

the mr*bdex story cONGtinues.

Code: Select all

"So your Object Generator," continued Timlrorme, catching on, "made the virtual into reality."
  "But why bother with virtuality?" asked Mrorl. "Real dragons are so much more effective."
  "Plausible deniability?" asked Timlrorme.
  Balthacarius continued his explanation. "Most probably, yes. We know he's creating fake dragons, to post fake dracoposts, and he knows we know that, and we also know he doesn't want to be caught in the act. Why do you suppose he was so eager to be a part of our so-called dracological research project? Because it was here, on the site of the secret future *Time``World*, which is so secret that we could not possibly share any detailed evidence of what's going on here. He knows he can get away with pretty nearly anything. Generating Augmented-Reality illusory dragons is risk-free: any proof of their nature, and the falseness of their origins, would entail a full spatiotemporal scan of the place and time

-- posted by mrImagebdexbot

mrob27

1190: Time: HOW HIGH CAN A SHENANOBOT DEMUSTARD SOMETHING?

Postby mrob27 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 am UTC

Thanks @balthasar_s and everyone for picking up the epilogue sequence again. I think these new developments are most promising!

january1may wrote: "Hypothesis: It's not sand. It's cornstarch." - dalcde
Is that the first such hypothesis on the OTT? There aren't any listed in my previous report…

Thanks for pointing that one out. It's way earlier than the "It's snow, not sand." at OTT:72:30

january1may wrote: Today, the Book of Aubron shows a weird "pageok" page. Anyone recalls what it looked like back when it actually worked?
Using archive.org, it seems evident that the "pageok" thing began sometime between the 29th June and the 30th July, 2016.
  As @taixzo mentioned, it was a player for Time. I don't remember any rainbow-like elements, but the archive.org shows the blue background and labels/links I remember.
  Functional players are still available, such as mine — which more closely mimics the original experience by using xkcd-like styles and layout; doing real-time playback (when it's the same time of year) as well as automatic and manual frame-stepping.

"This thread has got me listening to 9 Beet Stretch, which is awesome, like a weird cross between György Ligeti and Boards of Canada." - ToomanyUIDs, NP21 (Anyone recognizes any of those three? From the context, I'm guessing they must be band names…)

Boards of Canada is a band, which I knew of prior to OTT. 9 Beet Stretch is a recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony slowed down (but without changing the pitch) by about a factor of 20, so that it takes 24 hours to play the whole thing. A working stream is here. The original stream was at www.park.nl:8000/9bs but hasn't worked for some time.

balthasar_s wrote:The Polish translation looks like it is based on the original you found.

I saw the attribution to Stanisław Lem and decided to follow up. I found this on the original page that you linked us to:
Ergänzung 2010: Gahan Wilsons "Science Fiction Horror Movie Pocket Computer" hat es offenbar geschafft auch die Annerkennung so einer Science-Fiction-Größe wie Stanisław Lem zu gewinnen. Eine ins Polnische übersetzte Version des Schemas findet man unter dem Titel "Kieszonkowy komputer dreszczowców science fiction" im Anhang von Lems "Fantastyka i futurologia" (auf Deutsch erstmals 1977 erschienen unter dem Titel "Phantastik und Futurologie"). Der in der Erstausgabe von 1970 zwangsläufig noch nicht vorhandene "Komputer", muss nach dem Erscheinen von Gahans Original im "National Lampoon" von 1971 erst nachträglich in spätere Auflagen integriert worden sein.

which basically says that Lem included this Polish translation in "Fantastyka i futurologia", a book about Sci-Fi by Lem which was originally published earlier, (but presumably this bit was added in a later edition). After this bit that I quoted, it goes on to explain why the Gahan Wilson "computer" may have appealed to Lem.

mrob27 Image (antepengoat!)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:I have it!
Part 1/2 - the yearcube:
Awesomeful! Sitting quietly in the comfy chair with addams (the yearcube intro gave me heretical thoughts about the First Commandment) until part two comes out!

And yay for more mr*bdex!

Jose

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; full year

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 pm UTC

I have it!
Part 2/2 - a whole year:

(continuation of this post, read it before this one)

The formula to generate the yearcube was found.
depending on Y - the last digit of year and T - the tens of days digit.

Now how to extend it to a whole year?

Let's go to 2010.
Because for 2010 Y=0.

For the full year the values depend on two more variables:
the tens of days digit (now called D) and the last digit of hours (now called H).

Whoever decided that the 4x4 squares are represented by the top left corner did a very good choice. For the top left corner D=0 and H=0, so they have no influence on the value.

Let's extend this using Hujackus' method. we get this:
It's easier to find patterns now.

Let's try to construct this.
(any additions/subtractions are mod 5, of course)
  1. First we just we apply the formula from my previous post to the whole year. We get this:
  2. Now we make the following squares:
    1. H AND 0x8
    2. H AND 0x4
    3. a subtraction of the previous two
    We get this:
  3. And now these squares:
    1. D AND 0x2
    2. H AND 0x2
    3. a XOR of the previous two
    We get this:
  4. And now these:
    1. D AND 0x1
    2. H AND 0x1
    3. a XOR of the previous two
    We get this:
  5. And finally we add results of steps A, B, C and subtract D:
    The final result is the yearpattern:

That's what we wanted.

So the full formula would be:

(Y AND 0xC) + ((Y AND 0x1) XOR (T AND 0x1)) - ((Y AND 0x2) XOR (T AND 0x2)) + (H AND 0x8) - (H AND 0x4) + ((D AND 0x2) XOR (H AND 0x2)) - ((D AND 0x1) XOR (H AND 0x1))
(Today's part in bold.)
ETA:
balthasar_s wrote:This can be simplified.
Things like ((Y AND 0x1) XOR (T AND 0x1)) can be written as ((Y XOR T) AND 0x1)
Which gives us:
(Y AND 0xC) + ((Y XOR T) AND 0x1) - ((Y XOR T) AND 0x2) + (H AND 0x8) - (H AND 0x4) + ((D XOR H) AND 0x2) - ((D XOR H) AND 0x1)
/ETA

This, of course, requires that the assumption that I and also Hujackus are making is true.
We will see in the future.
I think 2019 will be no surprise.
2020 will be interesting. We will see if it depends on the tens of years digit or not.
my guess is that it doesn't because the tens of years is already 1 and the yearcube starts with 0 anyway.
But not so sure about this.

Redundant:
Spoiler:
fullyear-0.png
fullyear-0.png (8.68 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-1.png
fullyear-1.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-2.png
fullyear-2.png (6.21 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-3.png
fullyear-3.png (11.71 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-4.png
fullyear-4.png (10.51 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-5.png
fullyear-5.png (9.69 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
fullyear-6.png
Last edited by balthasar_s on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
BFTF replay

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”