1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 am UTC

Ah, right. It still works that way. Hmm. So why did he decide to make a change?

Oh procrastination... if I could change one thing about myself....

ETA: D'oh! P'ohpe!
Decree: Bring something cool you accidentally learned this week whilst randomly clicking things on the internet/procrastinating.
Last edited by ggh on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np749

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am UTC

LUNGY...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:IN B4 AWESOMEFUL CHUPAMOLPY

-- posted by oldpixbot

macraw83

Re: 1190: "Time": BAOBABS: WHAT IF WE ARE *ALL* RANDALL?!?!!

Postby macraw83 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:
Rule110 wrote: *blinks, looks around* / Hi!

We have been blessed with prodigal OTTers lately! For those who are curious, here is a complete list of people who have made two posts to the OTT separated by 150 wips or more:
  @NotAllThere, OTT:1213:9 - OTT:2496:33 (152.05 wips)
  @flicky1991, OTT:345:35 - OTT:2506:20 (169.34 wips)
  @bouer, OTT:199:12 - OTT:2519:20 (178.91 wips)
  @squareroot, OTT:2:30 - OTT:2529:30 (190.44 wips)
  @Wildhound, OTT:1317:18 - OTT:2570:32 (189.47 wips)
  @jetpac, OTT:1909:31 - OTT:2580:33 (154.82 wips)
  @Rule110, OTT:1681:38 - OTT:2582:25 (172.31 wips)
Baobabs, we had somemolpy (@squareroot) that posted on NP2 and then not again until NP2529? I wonder how many of those early posters that left shortly after and haven't resurfaced yet even realize that they were progenitors of the OTT.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 pm UTC

macraw83 wrote:
Rule110 wrote:*blinks, looks around*

Hi!

Welcome forward, Rule110! Be careful, suddenly slowing from BlitzSpeed to OTTSpeed can be severely disorienting due to the temporal effects.

We haven't heard from you in yips! How have you been?

I've been tolerably well, thanks! It has indeed been yips.

However, I have the opposite problem from the sudden slowing from BlitzSpeed you warn of. In my case it's a matter of suddenly accelerating to OTTSpeed from BasementSpeed. I haven't blitzed the thread... though I'd very much like to, in Time. Indeed, I'd like to blitz from the beginning (which I never actually did back in the time of Time) crossing my own Timestream in due course.

A few minor occurrences converged to prompt my coming forward. While cleaning up some folders on my system I found an old text file that I may or may not have posted somewhere online; if I did, this thread would have been a likely place, so I came here to search for it. At about the same Time, the Othercomic inspired an idea for an old school OTT manip: Megan and Cueball looking up at a gigantic panel of xkcd 1826 ("Birdwatching") floating in the sky. One of them is saying "The Othercomic is big!" and the other, "What's a Shop Vac?"

(Alas, the graphics program I used for my manips in long-ago Times only runs on an old computer I haven't used for yips.)

And then, looking at the recent OTT, I noticed that the NP count has now exceeded twice what it was at the E** o* T*** (can that be written out in full now, without cruelty?), which means there's as much or more OTT that I haven't seen (even in the most rapid skim) than that I have.

And, whilst peeking at random at some of my own posts in the thread, I discovered stuff, including filks and manips, that I had completely forgotten about, and that I barely remember writing or drawing even after seeing them again.

Thus is Time still all about time.

Actually talking about the OTC has probably become a bit of a rarity in this thread by now. What could there be left to say? But I think I might have some comments to add, from the perspective of the further passage of time. That will have to (of course) wait, though. I currently have an unusual work schedule in which, most wips, I'm doing nothing but work and sleep from Thursdip afternoon through Saturdip afternoon. And that's just about to start. So I won't be able to post again until, most likely, Sundip. And I do look forward to finding out what the rest of you here have been up to, which will take a while to ketchup on. And the new things to wait for. And maybe some new fiction of my own, in Time.

(The way language evolves on this thread, I probably sound like someone trying to sound cool by using 1980s slang... but the old OTT language habits seem to be easier to remember than, say, my own poetry...)

Greetings to you also karhell, macraw83, BlitzGirl, lmjb1964, Scisitor, ggh, yappobiscuits, mrob27 (you mean if I'd waited another half yip I could have set the record for prodigality?) and everyone.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

Ithillian

Postby Ithillian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:It's dangerous to go alone! Take this

Thank you! I was sorely lacking in food since every cake posted in the thread has already been eaten by the time I arrive. These shall serve as my sustenance as I continue this arduous journey.

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:44 pm UTC

Ithillian wrote:ETA:
bsta-000083.png
There is a package for you!
I notice that you have uploaded the bsta frame instead of linking to the image on b's site.
If you click on the bb link, it will show you text that you can copy and paste to your post, making it much easier to Ong.
20170420_124112.png
20170420_124112.png (45.6 KiB) Viewed 9060 times

Also: Woo! Yappo and rule110 are here, Hi guys!
And Yappo likes my OTTification!
Wait For It.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np760

Postby mscha » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

YOUNGLUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Happy birthdip, dear newpixbot...

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:REDUNDANCY FOR THE REDUNDANCY GOD! OTTSCARS FOR THE OTTSCAR THRONE!

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm UTC

(shh..)It sopped Raining.
Spoiler:
Maybe, if I'm very quiet, it will stay Stopped.
Spoiler:
This is how Superstitions are Born.
Spoiler:
Wait For It.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ggh

Postby ggh » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Megan and Cueball looking up at a gigantic panel of xkcd 1826 ("Birdwatching") floating in the sky. One of them is saying "The Othercomic is big!" and the other, "What's a Shop Vac?"
Ha! Love it!

Rule110 wrote:Actually talking about the OTC has probably become a bit of a rarity in this thread by now. What could there be left to say?
Oddly enough, the Time page itself started behaving differently lately, so we've been talking about it a bit. Did you see the javascript?

Also, we still haven't deciphered Beanish, and we don't know how the epilogue sequence is generated, though there has been good progress in that direction.

Addams - glad to hear you're dry! Is everything really really green?

Happy birthdip, newpixbot!
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

mrob27

1190: "Time": УЧИМ AND HEADBAND__S CREATE PUN IN LAB: "THE TRICK WAS WAITIN' FOR IT!"

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 am UTC

ggh wrote:Treeish list mrob!

Thanks! Image I actually have a much more complete list, showing every "unbasementing" longer than 2 wips. I would be reluctant to make it public until finding out what people feel about it. In yips past there has been some concern about linking post history to usernames.
macraw83 wrote:I wonder how many of those early posters that left shortly after and haven't resurfaced yet even realize that they were progenitors of the OTT.

We heard back (directly and indirectly) from some of the "silent and knowing", those who were aware of the rapid post rate and stayed away because they couldn't keep up (and/or had no reason to post). I think that accounts for most of the xkcd regulars who check the Individual XKCD Comic Threads forum area reasonably often (because they'll notice the thread topics and low numbers like 1190 stand out).
  I think the "silent and unknowing" ones would be the non-xkcd-regulars, who come to a forum topic specifically because that one comic interests them. I think I fell into that group (though I didn't post). My go-to place for Randall-induced mysteries was (and still is) explainxkcd; I'll go to the fora only if that is lacking in some way. When I became aware of Time, explainxkcd was adequate. Perhaps these early posters didn't come back once our own wiki and the other websites (including the early viewers like Primis's GIF and aubronwood) were closer to what they were looking for. There were plenty of posts like these to help direct them away.
Rule110 wrote:(you mean if I'd waited another half yip I could have set the record for prodigality?)

It's going to be pretty hard to beat @squareroot's 190 wips. Let's not encourage it :P

mrob27 Image

because, for example, my employer might know my username but I might not want them to know my post history.
explainxkcd links to viewers but not to my replay viewer; but perhaps if someone thinks that's appropriate, they could add it (I believe I shouldn't, because I believe adding links to my own stuff to a wiki looks too much like self-promotion or a conflict of interest.)
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:27 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am UTC

Open package

These are the glasses you were waiting for.

The square glasses! The Square Glasses!
It's like hearing the first E F G C' space D E F of a sequel!

Some RELATED NZ news: 'if you're happy and you know it, wipe your whiskers."

Hey Laura Mae!!!!! I'm excited about seeing you too!!!!!

Oh hey - I've already forgotten my own decree. I learned that I was spelling (and understanding) "just deserts" incorrectly. http://mentalfloss.com/article/51150/12 ... zed-idioms
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np778

Postby mscha » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm UTC

CUNGENITAL...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by lmjb1964.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A BAOBAB.

-- posted by oldpixbot

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:35 pm UTC

I'm beginning to worry that our Oracle has been lost to us, trapped in an alternate timeline and unable to post to the OTT in our realty. Doomed, perhaps, to wander for all eternity through the sands of Time, ever searching for a path back home.
Over a week had passed since he announced his departure, and in that Time we have received no message, no sign of his continued well being.
Therefore I hereby summon him.
Spoiler:
*draws a circle in the sand*
*hums a haunting time-reversed yappobiscuits refrain*
*makes vague motions with hands*
112358Daniel wrote: Summons Oracle of Fibonacci

ggh wrote:The square glasses! The Square Glasses!
I was confused by this at first thinking you meant the sw theme, but it's the imperial March. Are the square glasses from the moon in the future?
Wait For It.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm UTC

Unexpected relatedness:
Now (after the frame is already made) I have to replace my glasses too.
The left... thing (how is it called) is damaged and a piece of insulation tape keeps it from falling off.

GnomeAnne wrote:I was confused by this at first thinking you meant the sw theme, but it's the imperial March.
But it's not.
I checked it, it sounds more like this:

Code: Select all

K8  | EE4,
   N16 | FF4,
   N4  | GG4,
   N2  | CC5,

K8  | DD4,
   N16 | EE4,
   K2  | FF4,

EFGC^_DEF.mp3
(66.38 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

On the topic of notes and decrees, 2 days ago, by clicking and reading things I found where the music from the first levels of the game Zone Runner comes from.
It's a module which means that I can extract the notes from it. it is good news because with my sisters we were looking for notes for this and we couldn't find anything. She tried to recreate a part of it from hearing but that requires some work.
(I already had the file in front of me but the .xm extension didn't mean anything to me. And now I also know where the game author took it from)
BFTF replay.
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023. # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here is why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't count Image
This text was autogenerated:
YYYB

addams

Postby addams » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Addams - glad to hear you're dry! Is everything really really green?
Yes.
It is very green.

The forest put on its summer covering of broad green leafs.
And; It kept Raining.

I noticed how different the rain sounded on broad leaf plants.
Yes. It is very very Green.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:
I was confused by this at first thinking you meant the sw theme, but it's the imperial March. Are the square glasses from the moon in the future?

I'm pretty sure it's the Indiana Jones theme!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ggh

Postby ggh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:25 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Are the square glasses from the moon in the future?

Maybe this is a good place to leave this:
micdi wrote:Things that I have found and StormAngel has not are:

Spoiler:
-ucim (although he says he may have seen him and just not highlighted)
-ggh
-beanish
-also found a guy with glasses, not sure who thatis but I am fairly sure the glasses were added in.

That's it I think.
(Heh, the post immediately below that one points out what a mustard waiter I am.)

balthasar_s wrote:Unexpected relatedness:
Now (after the frame is already made) I have to replace my glasses too.
The left... thing (how is it called) is damaged and a piece of insulation tape keeps it from falling off.
I don't know what that thing is called either, but aren't smart folks supposed to have insulation tape holding their glasses together?
Btw, quick execution of that theme!

taixzo wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the Indiana Jones theme!
Bingo! My feelings about the SW sequels are complicated, but when I hear the Raiders theme, my joy is simple and pure. Went to a midnight showing of Crystal Skull and walked on air back to my car. I was grinning while I hummed the Indiana Jones theme for days.

Addams, I read somewhere that bleeding heart is deer-resistant (though very hungry deer will still eat it). I guess it's hard to know if your deer have read that book.
Spoiler:
Where I grew up, we had a mound of the fringed variety on either side of the steps down into the back yard. We loved those plants.
The fringed type looks more like this:
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 am UTC

Popping in to say how much I am enjoying the thread - a real ketchup (which I might have to do backwards) will come for the suitably religious. Well, it will come for the impious also; it's equal opportunity condiment. :)

We have (or used to have) bleeding hearts in our side yard; they're quite pretty. Except in the winter when they aren't doing much of anything, us being in the snow belt. At the moment they are still dazed from the last winter; give them a few mips and I expect to see some dangly red bells. Bleeding hearts (or something quite like them) seem to also be the official flower of Dingle (which for that perhaps should be called "Dangle"); when we went there we got some stained glass pieces with them on it. Maybe it's just one artist, but it's an iconic artist of the area.

Welcome Ithillian! And is there another new Blitzer? I think so but my CRS means that xe will need to annoy TheMinim (where'd she go?) for a bit. And wow - Rule110 is back! We must celebrate!

Yeah, I think I may have found myself, but I'm not sure, and I don't want to cheat, so I keep the iconostasis for later perusal... which I may have time to do soon. Maybe I'll post what I think I found when I next pop in.

More later. You know what to do. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np800

Postby mscha » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 am UTC

CARDUNGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Kieryn.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A TIMEODY

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm UTC

Time Marches On.
And; It's Raining!

It will Stop, again.
One day, .. it will.
Spoiler:
Wait For It.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 100/2586 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:59 pm UTC

Rain, rain, take a trip
Come again another dip!

AwakUNG, Megan! Go save the flag!

macraw83 wrote:
Spoiler:
mrob27 wrote:
Rule110 wrote: *blinks, looks around* / Hi!

We have been blessed with prodigal OTTers lately! For those who are curious, here is a complete list of people who have made two posts to the OTT separated by 150 wips or more:
  @NotAllThere, OTT:1213:9 - OTT:2496:33 (152.05 wips)
  @flicky1991, OTT:345:35 - OTT:2506:20 (169.34 wips)
  @bouer, OTT:199:12 - OTT:2519:20 (178.91 wips)
  @squareroot, OTT:2:30 - OTT:2529:30 (190.44 wips)
  @Wildhound, OTT:1317:18 - OTT:2570:32 (189.47 wips)
  @jetpac, OTT:1909:31 - OTT:2580:33 (154.82 wips)
  @Rule110, OTT:1681:38 - OTT:2582:25 (172.31 wips)
Baobabs, we had somemolpy (@squareroot) that posted on NP2 and then not again until NP2529? I wonder how many of those early posters that left shortly after and haven't resurfaced yet even realize that they were progenitors of the OTT.

How remarkable! It's awesomeful to see that bouer visited; I remember quoting xem on my original blitzquest. And that squareroot redelurk is amazing.

Rule110 wrote:However, I have the opposite problem from the sudden slowing from BlitzSpeed you warn of. In my case it's a matter of suddenly accelerating to OTTSpeed from BasementSpeed.

Hopefully this is less disorienting than it used to be; OTTSpeed is much more sedate these dips. I've noticed ketchup is now served in reasonable containers instead of seaish buckets.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm UTC

Time IS passing slowly.
Good Morning, Time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:25 pm UTC

Good morning, Addams!

Replace glasses

SO MUCH BETTER.

But don't forget why you left your home.
Please, continue performing actions.

We may have to meme this....

ucim wrote:and I don't want to cheat,
What's cheating?
What I keep meaning to do is make a version with map coordinates for easy reference. Also, to add the state of play to the wiki. Instead, I keep annoying the Minim, and myself.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm UTC

ggh wrote:What's cheating?
Cheating is taking the original and the ottification, putting them in gimp and subtracting them. Cheating is asking whether I'm in the top left, or in the castle, or in the river. Cheating means that while I may "find" myself, I miss the pleasure of finding all the other OTTers among the otter OTHers.

:) Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

ggh

Postby ggh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:26 pm UTC

There are many ways to seek, just as there are many ways to Time. Some may feel a deep void in xer souls that can only be filled by drinking deeply of each Waldoesque pixel in its pure and unadulterated form. This is a noble quest fraught with perilous perils and other plagiaristic hazardous dangers. Others may dip in, find a familiar face or two, and climb back onto the shore, satisfied with a brief swim among the brightly coloured cartoon folk. Still others may call upon all manner of technological wizardry to fish an elusive avatar from the murky depths.

All are proper ways to seek. There are no improper ways, howsoever briefly or extensively they dwell therein. These differences do not separate us, but make us more powerful, for as grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, exploring silly pictures works best when we are not all of the same shape.

:wink:
Agatha the Awesomeful

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np832

Postby mscha » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm UTC

UNGIOGRAPHIC...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by ggh.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:EVERY TIME YOU MOLPY ABOUT, RANDALL SCHIZOBLITZES A NEWPIX. PLEASE, THINK OF THE NEWPICES.

-- posted by oldpixbot

addams

Postby addams » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Addams, I read somewhere that bleeding heart is deer-resistant (though very hungry deer will still eat it). I guess it's hard to know if your deer have read that book.
Spoiler:
Where I grew up, we had a mound of the fringed variety on either side of the steps down into the back yard. We loved those plants.
The fringed type looks more like this:
Yes!
That is Exactly the same plant that grows in the shade of the spruce and the shed.

And; No.
The Deer did not do the reading.
The Deer were eating the Bleeding Hearts as fast as the plant could grow.

With some help from a local woman,
I built a barrier to protect the plants.

Now, the Bleeding Hearts are Blooming. (Yey!)

All the Rain inspired me to transplant Bog Plants into my garden.
They are doing well. I can keep them wet all year. I have a spring.

The Rain will stop.
One day; Some day;
The Rain will stop.

How does your garden grow?
Jose? Do you have Bleeding Hearts, yet?

EDIT: I finally learned something On-Line.
Now; I can fulfill the decree.

First; Elon Musk says This Reality is most likely a simulation.
I knew This before. So; It was not good for the decree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK_kzrJPS8

Today I Learned other Scientists are speaking in public about the subject.
Neal DeGrasse Tyson is a respectable serious working scientist.

He discusses the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNoqWbsz8zs

Spoiler:
Are these people waisting their considerable talents discussing such silliness?
Our geo-political world spins out of rational control while the best and brightest waste their Time?
Wait For It?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 pm UTC

addams wrote:Elon Musk says This Reality is most likely a simulation.
One word to that: M*stard!

Not in the sense of disparaging the theory (though I disagree with it), but in the sense of First Cleric's wisdom: "Mustard makes the world go 'round".

Given that a perfect simulation can be created, it probably would... and that simulation can then create a (sub)simulation... and it's molpies all the way down... with no chance for grapevines. The chances would be quite high that we are simulations. But mustard. If there is any mustard at all in the simulation, there will be more mustard in the sub-simulation, and eventually the whole thing will peter out into a steambottle. That's your chance for grapevines, and what tells me we're probably not simulations.
Spoiler:
Also, what's wrong with Elon Musk's "theory" (in the short video; I haven't yet watched the long one) is that he's not looking at the (grammatical) first person. Video games may become indisinguishable to us from reality, but that does not (neecessarily) imbue the imaginary characters that dwell therein with a sense of self, and the ability to ask the questions we are asking about whether we (they) are simulated or not. It's a surprising blunder for Musk.
addams wrote:Are these people waisting their considerable talents discussing such silliness?
Depends what they're eating at those conferences. :)

addams wrote:How does your garden grow?
Jose? Do you have Bleeding Hearts, yet?
Not yet. It's still early. Some of our forsythia are (thinly) in bloom... forsythia need sunlight and ours are shaded so they come out later. But the First Commandment will yield its reward.

mscha wrote:(Colorization by ggh.)
Oooo! One of my faves! And I didn't know it could be done, but you ottified the Prayer of BlitzGirl! I was LLOLling (literally laughing out loud) the whole time! So I have returned to the image quest. I'd already found BlitzGirl, BlueCrab, buffygirl, charlie_grumbles, earthlingonmars (old avatar: Saturn rings), flado, HES, karhell, macraw, moriarity, mrob, mscha, Neil_Boekend, newpixbot, nomouse, pfhorrest, Pikrass, silenttimer, slinches, Sprocket, sustainablizer, Svenman, myself (maybe, as pope?), and yappo, and also found a grey cat at keyboard, a black cat near BlitzGirl, the rainbow structure, the cat in the hat, a kitty with red hat, a gold hat on a blue head, a cupcake, a slug at top of roof, a yellow tophat on red boat, but I'm not sure how many of these are in the original, or are avatars lost to CRS. At the moment I can't find myself again; I'll have to time travel back to 1967, I guess. How many are left?

Oh, and new otherothercomic!

Jose

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:35 am UTC

Jose: Did you find me?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:10 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:Jose: Did you find me?
Maybe. :)

Jose

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:So I have returned to the image quest. I'd already found BlitzGirl, BlueCrab, buffygirl, charlie_grumbles, earthlingonmars (old avatar: Saturn rings), flado, HES, karhell, macraw, moriarity, mrob, mscha, Neil_Boekend, newpixbot, nomouse, pfhorrest, Pikrass, silenttimer, slinches, Sprocket, sustainablizer, Svenman, myself (maybe, as pope?), and yappo, and also found a grey cat at keyboard, a black cat near BlitzGirl, the rainbow structure, the cat in the hat, a kitty with red hat, a gold hat on a blue head, a cupcake, a slug at top of roof, a yellow tophat on red boat, but I'm not sure how many of these are in the original, or are avatars lost to CRS. At the moment I can't find myself again; I'll have to time travel back to 1967, I guess. How many are left?
Hard to say - some of them are tricky to count. Somewhere in the 80s?
Comments on your black list:
Spoiler:
At least three of those are avatars, at least two fall under OTTerphrenalia, and one appears to be redundantly listed. (I'm not sure if I should give hints on who avatars belong to or not. Iirc, I included 99.0% of everyone who had posted in the previous six months or so and had an avatar. That might be hint enough?)

Offhand, a kitty with red hat, a gold hat on a blue head, and a slug at top of roof aren't ringing a bell for me. If you give me the coordinates, I'll check them out. Which leads me to...
So I finally made the image with coordinates:

redundant:
Spoiler:
findTheOTTerMapGrid.jpg
Agatha the Awesomeful

DrSamCarter

Postby DrSamCarter » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:44 am UTC

I remember being quite delighted to find myself. :wink:

And impressed with the seaish wowterfallishness of it all.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am UTC

Thanks! You were pretty much nice enough to hide yourself. :)

I'm afraid I didn't think some things through though - like how we could keep track of finds without spoiling those who didn't want to be spoiled. Lots of avatars and OTTerphrenalia were spotted, but I never organised a unified list, and I think that would have been welcome. I'd like to correct that now. I think I'll make a wiki page with finds listed, and then their locations in spoilers.

Also, there were a lot of almost IDs - like, "this is someone, but I don't know who" but because I didn't really provide a place to put those, they never escaped that no man's land. I'm still not sure what to do about those... give hints until someone guesses? crop and post the elements in question so the hive mind can sort it out? It'll be even worse with these now because a bunch of those posters have not been around in ages, and another bunch wear radically different avatars than they did at that Time.
Agatha the Awesomeful

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm UTC

My weekly Workblitz is done. So, back to the thread.

Just the last newpage tells me that re-acclimatizing is going to be an uphill climb. (Perhaps one like unto that from a salt basin to a former coastline.)

Clicking links in posts plunges me into random unfamiliar Times past. It gets disorienting.

Ggh, where can I find the original of that image search? It looks fascinating, and captivating, and likely unbearably poignant. In other words, very One-True-Thread-Ish.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past..... Schizoblitz: 100/2586 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm UTC

The castle will indeed be goUNG on a journey:

ggh wrote:
Spoiler:

There are many ways to seek, just as there are many ways to Time. Some may feel a deep void in xer souls that can only be filled by drinking deeply of each Waldoesque pixel in its pure and unadulterated form. This is a noble quest fraught with perilous perils and other plagiaristic hazardous dangers. Others may dip in, find a familiar face or two, and climb back onto the shore, satisfied with a brief swim among the brightly coloured cartoon folk. Still others may call upon all manner of technological wizardry to fish an elusive avatar from the murky depths.

All are proper ways to seek. There are no improper ways, howsoever briefly or extensively they dwell therein. These differences do not separate us, but make us more powerful, for as grains of Sand(semencancercoffeebabies) in a Sandcastle, exploring silly pictures works best when we are not all of the same shape.

:wink:

Molpish! :D

Rule110 wrote:Clicking links in posts plunges me into random unfamiliar Times past. It gets disorienting.

Yes, you want to be careful of this! It is very easy to become an inadvertent schizoblitzer.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

addams

Postby addams » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

The pages linger on my screen.
Time hangs in the air like the endless rain.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm UTC

ggh wrote: Somewhere in the 80s?
Baobabs! Here's what I had found so far. (I may have missed a few this pass, but this pass did let me find a few others, such as jobialbard and gmalivuk, and the metal molpies (or gingerbread cookies in their honor). I will keep looking: "Even after you have reached the peak, there is more to find."

Warning: spoiler contains spoiler (redundancy included)
Spoiler:
foundotters.jpg

Jose

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "WaitForSuperGirlTime"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm UTC

Well grapevines are still grapevines and reality is still reality, regardless of whether there is another superreality in which this one is thought of as less real.
It stopped raining a short time ago, after having rained for part of the nip.

I keep intending and forgetting to correct some mustard:
Contrary to what I wrote the other dip, Lindsey Stirling did not walk past a Twenty One Pilots concert, but rather a Switchfoot concert. She mentioned Twenty One Pilots in another of her recent livestreams, in response to a question from a viewer.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”