1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kieryn

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
sidd wrote:
Astronomers may molpy down.

Aw.

I can see more scope for Randall messing with us.

In a few newpix: raft with Beanie aboard appears; Beanie utters a few words of Beanish; "summon the linguists!"

Next newpix: Beanie has disappeared, top of wowtree appears; "summon the botanists!"

Next newpix: night falls. "Summon the astronomers!".

And so on...

They will float past a small hill with a lone bigfootmolpy standing on it looking sad.

ETA: Ooooh and pagepopyness. My first in an eon or two.
Decree: pictures of aforementioned bigfootmolpy please.
Last edited by Kieryn on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am UTC

ucim wrote:Finally had a bit of time for my backlog of saved ottifications. Wanted to shout out to:

rvloon: Neat anthem, but I don't recognize the tune. I don't know Meat Loaf (though I've heard of them).

You can find a live version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m78sklWPpA. Takes a while to get going, so maybe you would like this version better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwV5e2YcNfY.

And there's also this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tuYKUgBZEc

ucim wrote:I did laugh at Approxalypse, actually... I just didn't laugh into the fast-moving OTT.

I expect that happens a lot with some of the one-liners I do, combined with the OTT.

ucim wrote:I also saw (but didn't quite "get") the boat with St. Nicholas on it. I took him to be a random Pope. What's the reference? I don't remember hi sailing, though I do think there's something about fishes.

He's a bishop. I didn't think of a pope tie-in actually. It was more of a 'friendly guy on boat comes in to save the day and hand out presents to everyone' kind-of vibe I tried to project. He allegedly lives in Spain, and each winter he takes his steamboat (boat not bottle) and travels to the Netherlands and Belgium (possibly other parts). I figured we had a few -ex-machinas in the OTC, so this one was a shoe-in. More about him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas.

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

capnbuckle

Postby capnbuckle » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:25 am UTC

spamjam wrote:Capella (in Auriga) is the very bright star in the lower left. Aldeberan (in Taurus) is in the lower right. Pleiades above and left of Taurus. Mirphak (in Perseus) is above Capella. Algol is to the right of Mirphak. Algol is a famous variable (eclipsing binary in this case) star discovered way back. Looks pretty bright here, so not in an eclipsed phase. We're looking vaguely south, maybe a bit to the east. Hard (at least for me) to pin down a date because there are no planets or Moon visible. If this is April 13291, the Moon passed through Taurus on the 10th. I cannot get the star orientations and the horizon to line up for any date in April or May. I'll leave it to someone with more expertise.

I can't find an orientation, neither heretical (current-day) nor mid-axial-precession cycle, that stacks Mirphak almost directly "above" Capella over the horizon, and the Pleiades "north" of Aldeberan w.r.t. the horizon, unless I alter the time from April 10, 13291, by about 6 months. That seems too long.

But I probably have mustard in my eyes. Time to coma.

azule
Saved

Blind-Post NP1128

Postby azule » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:27 am UTC

@rvloon::voice - It made me think of a droll presentation a la Monty Python. Come to think of it, some of these voices would be great for a reading of some of the OTT literature, e.g. ucim's Papal Stories. :)

CasCat wrote:Oooh, hundredth post. Gotta say something kinky, right?
Spoiler:
Bead curtain.
Because of the allusion of something kinky...OMR, that is filthy! :P

BytEfLUSh wrote:
Spoiler:
I may be going offtopic here... But had a great time at the city's summer festival. The countrys most famous rapper was scheduled, and I did like his music (when I was a child), so why not... I didn't know that he recently got a metal band as part of his entourage (I am a big fan of rock, though I also like metal), and the songs were better than ever. Then, everything kind of "exploded" (well, not literally :D) when the "after band" started playing RATM, SOAD, Korn and finally Tool. I've never heard Tool's "Parabol(a)" live before - but these guys nailed it, I think.
I still can't really hear anything except loud noises and I believe I won't be able to speak for the next few days, but man... it was a great evening! :D
That sounds cool. Loves those bands...but who is this famous rapper? Was it Vanilla Ice? (I'm serious.) He formed a metal band. This is my best guess. Please inform.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:29 am UTC

Zorin_75 wrote:
tavella wrote:They look like flying fish to me, too.

Don't look fishy to me...
Spoiler:
The attachment pterosaurs.png is no longer available

Spoiler:
Flying-fish-sea-life-65865_300_220.jpg
Flying-fish-sea-life-65865_300_220.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
Last edited by tavella on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:30 am UTC

I'm pretty sure flying fish don't fly in formation like raptors, though...

zyzyzyryxy wrote:Am I first one to notice that alt-text is now "..."?
Sorry if someone said that a few pages before, I am skimming that thread a few pages at once occasionally.
EDIT: Aww, I wasn't first....

Nice username! Welcome! :)
We've been trying to pay close attention to the title text; it's now in its fourth incarnation.

*brings a bigfootmolpy*
Spoiler:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Ace

Postby Ace » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:
taixzo wrote:Anyway, molpy down.
Spoiler:

What on earth? Is that some sort of bird-of-paradise hedgemolpy? :?

It's an echidna! Australia: The same animals, but crazier.
Wait for it.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 am UTC

I wish GLR would zoom in a bit closer...I want to be able to tell just who that is on the side of the raftcastle...
Spoiler:
Ace wrote:Australia: The same animals, but crazier.

Plus pockets. You can't beat molpies who have their own pockets.

*brings bigfootmolpy again*
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rvloon

Re: Blind-Post NP1128

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am UTC

azule wrote:@rvloon::voice - It made me think of a droll presentation a la Monty Python. Come to think of it, some of these voices would be great for a reading of some of the OTT literature, e.g. ucim's Papal Stories. :)

Well, at the very least it didn't make you go running for the hills :)

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:47 am UTC

zyzyzyryxy and many others wrote:Am I first one to notice that alt-text is now "..."?

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching "Groundhog Day".
Something/someone in the OTC should be named Ned Ryerson.

capnbuckle wrote:
Arky wrote:The MegaCastleRaft looks kind of like a wagon train, at this distance and without the benefit of colour or shade to delineate between land and sea.
I wonder if they will continue to collect and lash together flotsam until they've created Sea Town. (Or maybe that would be "Pretty New Sea Town"...)

As I watched the geraft come together I kept thinking it's being assembled like the International Space Station, slowly tacking on modules here and there.

tavella

Postby tavella » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am UTC

capnbuckle wrote:I can't find an orientation, neither heretical (current-day) nor mid-axial-precession cycle, that stacks Mirphak almost directly "above" Capella over the horizon, and the Pleiades "north" of Aldeberan w.r.t. the horizon, unless I alter the time from April 10, 13291, by about 6 months. That seems too long.

An October date would fit one thing, though: at one point one of Megball said that the river hadn't reached the sea "yet". That indicates that they were still in the rainy season. But the rainy season in the Med is fall/winter, not spring.

Tass

Postby Tass » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 am UTC

Maybe they will eventually drift over the Sicily sill and have to ride the torrent down into the eastern Mediterranean. That would be quite the epic journey.

frakhorsestaplers

Postby frakhorsestaplers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:01 am UTC

SpeakONG

Montov

Postby Montov » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Wich Cueganite was named "Hey" again?

sidd

Postby sidd » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:06 am UTC

capnbuckle wrote:
spamjam wrote:Capella (in Auriga) is the very bright star in the lower left. Aldeberan (in Taurus) is in the lower right. Pleiades above and left of Taurus. Mirphak (in Perseus) is above Capella. Algol is to the right of Mirphak. Algol is a famous variable (eclipsing binary in this case) star discovered way back. Looks pretty bright here, so not in an eclipsed phase. We're looking vaguely south, maybe a bit to the east. Hard (at least for me) to pin down a date because there are no planets or Moon visible. If this is April 13291, the Moon passed through Taurus on the 10th. I cannot get the star orientations and the horizon to line up for any date in April or May. I'll leave it to someone with more expertise.

I can't find an orientation, neither heretical (current-day) nor mid-axial-precession cycle, that stacks Mirphak almost directly "above" Capella over the horizon, and the Pleiades "north" of Aldeberan w.r.t. the horizon, unless I alter the time from April 10, 13291, by about 6 months. That seems too long.

But I probably have mustard in my eyes. Time to coma.

Everything lines up fine for me if we're looking East soon after dusk.

Hmm.. scratch that. Aldebaran and Menkalinan are a bit chirped.
Last edited by sidd on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:13 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 am UTC

Montov wrote:Wich Cueganite was named "Hey" again?

I think we decided Cueball's other name was "Hey."

My guess is that is Megan, speaking to Cueball.

Edit: Almost forgot!

*brings bigfootmolpy again*
Spoiler:
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 am UTC

sidd wrote:Everything lines up fine for me if we're looking East soon after dusk.

What, for that April 10 date?

Zorin's points notwithstanding, I still want to hang on to my objections re: berets and survey towers, in that case.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Eternal Density

Why does everything CHANGE????

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 am UTC

Nooo I wanted another long night. I kinda miss the days of Waiting for It. Everything happens so fast now.
[ninja by two posts and then about a page edit] Um I thought I posted this over a newpic ago but it didn't :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 am UTC

tavella wrote:That indicates that they were still in the rainy season. But the rainy season in the Med is fall/winter, not spring.

13000 years from now? I'd bet Bitcoins that the climate will have changed enough that that may no longer be true.

ETADP:
Eternal Density wrote:Nooo I wanted another long night. I kinda miss the days of Waiting for It. Everything happens so fast now.

Couldn't agree more! I'm sorta hoping that we're in for a month or so of floating... :P

per decree:
Spoiler:
Bigfoot.png
Bigfoot.png (37.1 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

hajo

Postby hajo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:31 am UTC

All of them ?
:D
Last edited by hajo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 am UTC

A little something to pass the time: Poul Anderson's Gibraltar Falls
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

robbak

Postby robbak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:35 am UTC

I can't help thinking that they have made a huge mistake by not poling towards the shore for as long as they could reach the bottom. They are now stuck without a paddle in the middle of the Mediterranean, which is not a good place to be.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:38 am UTC

robbak wrote:I can't help thinking that they have made a huge mistake by not poling towards the shore for as long as they could reach the bottom. They are now stuck without a paddle in the middle of the Mediterranean, which is not a good place to be.

Yes, but you are forgetting the flow. There is probably a strong flow towards France in this area of the Mediterranean sea. They only need paddles to control the raft, not as a main means of propulsion.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 am UTC

sidd wrote:
capnbuckle wrote:

Everything lines up fine for me if we're looking East soon after dusk.

Hmm.. scratch that. Aldebaran and Menkalinan are a bit chirped.

Yeah, I looked again with Stellarium and I agree orientation is fine. Here's a view from April 17, 13291. Arbitrary date. It's way past coma time so I'm not in a tinkering-mode.
Spoiler:
Capella_sm.png

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am UTC

hajo wrote:

All of them ?
:D

To be fair, the second Twenty might have just been calling for Cueball really, REALLY LOUDLY. :wink:

*brings bigfootmolpy*
Spoiler:

Yikes, up past my coma Time! Molpy down:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

GerardE

Postby GerardE » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:42 am UTC

"Hey" is probably short for "Hello Edible You", towards one of the birds that just landed.
Wait for IT. Business always complaining.

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:01 am UTC

Cuegan talkONG.

There's your answer to the question of who was talking to whom in the last frame.

xkcd 1190 hey.png
"Hey"

Alt text still reads "..."
Last edited by libra on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am UTC

Wow, when Ketchupping I start to see what my Papal Decree started. Sorry for the offtopicness, thanks for all the input.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am UTC

jjjdavidson wrote:Holy mustard, the Cueganites½ have got a lot of rope to play with; look how those barrels are lashed. But where are the water bottles (or drinking mugs or whatever)? Somebody should be thirsty by now; in fact, in my experience there should be at least one little kid per newpix wanting a drink.

Hey, those stick-kids are professionals. They know they need to get their drinks when they are off-frame. When they hear 'Picture Up' they are all business.

And, new Other comic is up. http://xkcd.com/1243/
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

libra

Postby libra » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 am UTC

They must be sleeping together in that tent like a whole bunch of puppies.

Hungry, thirsty, sand-coated refugee puppies ...

Eternal Density

Neat.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:11 am UTC

They all managed to sleep soundly in a boatyurt? Wow.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 am UTC

Back on page 397, I was close with the first image.

Wee Red Bird wrote:I'm predicting the following ending to this cartoon
postimg.org/image/6v3ipxn9x/

Once the foundations erode:
postimg.org/image/d5ppnm9ib/

And ending like this:
postimg.org/image/mqpbtgdut/

With maybe a few bits floating and possibly a large iceberg.

Though the spam filter and my inability to post images has made this simple post quite a difficult one to make.

hunjoh

Postby hunjoh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:17 am UTC

kasmeneo wrote:Then, when the raft is equipped with the yurts and starts to float away, the water is full of trees and stuff floating along and past them. And some huge trees. They can't possibly have been washed down all the way from Gibraltar. Or can they?

Yep, that's my guess. In my imagination an entire forest just got scoured away.

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:24 am UTC

Awww. The two of them alone together again... kissy time?
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mindonner

Postby mindonner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:31 am UTC

D'awwww, they've not had any chances for alone-time till now. Image

eta: seriously ninja'd cos it took me that long to dig up the Megball smiley again

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
capnbuckle wrote:Of course this isn't Waterworld. It holds to the laws of physics as close as GLR can find the details, not as close to the laws of physics as the movie makers felt like. Thus they'll flow to the mainland, France most likely, and go to land there. They'll continue their nomadic existence. Due to the influx of people from the filling Mediterranean sea the people will feel it's far to crowded to live properly, despite the fact that most area's are less densely populated than the least populated areas in current Europe. They have grown accustomed to the lebensraum the Antares incidentcookie? provided. Local warlords feel this restlessness and adjust their punishments to newcomers accordingly. They'll be executed for trespassing. Thus ends Time.

Why have several people talked about them being nomads, or having a nomadic existence? I have seen a lot of evidence that the opposite in fact is true. They feel more to me like some of the tribes of Papua New Guinea that have been found relatively recently tucked into a quiet valley with almost no knowledge of the world around. Cuegan at one point commented that they had gone farther than they ever had before, at a point relatively close to home, which means the tribe certainly hasn't moved in at least 20 years. Furthermore, they seem to have no knowledge of the rest of the Med basin, the people who live elsewhere, except for their neighbors the hill people, the flora and fauna that exist only a short distance away. Also, the village doesn't appear to have any means of transportation consistent with a nomadic culture, no beasts of burden, no geographical knowledge of the world, etc.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 am UTC

Blindpost: NP 1168

... 79 pages to ketchup... going backwards. I may become one of those souls condemned to ketchup permanently. (Was it Exodies who was in that position?)

Anyway, exciting times (RUN) continue.. I was surprised at the number sourpusses around complaining about Rosetta's reveals. Nevertheless, good times. Hope you kids are having fun in the present.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:43 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:Blindpost: NP 1168

... 79 pages to ketchup... going backwards. I may become one of those souls condemned to ketchup permanently. (Was it Exodies who was in that position?)

Anyway, exciting times (RUN) continue.. I was surprised at the number sourpusses around complaining about Rosetta's reveals. Nevertheless, good times. Hope you kids are having fun in the present.

Don't bother, I'll join you, soon.

Hereby signing out - two weeks Mediterranean Sea. If I find a floating Hill People Watch Tower, I'll ask the airline if they are okay with bulk good.C14 ;-)

C14Does radiocarbon dating work for future artifacts, too?
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

robbak

Postby robbak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Hereby signing out - two weeks Mediterranean Sea. If I find a floating Hill People Watch Tower, I'll ask the airline if they are okay with bulk good.C14 ;-)

C14Does radiocarbon dating work for future artifacts, too?

If I were you, I'd be careful how you combine 'C' and '4' while on an airplane.

edo

Postby edo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:50 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
sidd wrote:
Astronomers may molpy down.

Aw.

I can see more scope for Randall messing with us.

In a few newpix: raft with Beanie aboard appears; Beanie utters a few words of Beanish; "summon the linguists!"

Next newpix: Beanie has disappeared, top of wowtree appears; "summon the botanists!"

Next newpix: night falls. "Summon the astronomers!".

And so on...

I agree
When someone said north, I was like "we can find the fixed point!"
So between frame 1 and 2 of night I was like "OK, stars going up, east"
I was going to say that having only two frames is worthless, but we could make a "vector field" of the stars (anyone? Someone kind of did this last time)
Also, since this is a new piece of sky, anyone see anything out of place? Any planets (I'm not the best at this)
Co-proprietor of a Mome and Pope Shope

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”