1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

partingLance

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby partingLance » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:I am wondering if the object on the structure is a Meridian Telescope rather than a surveying instrument such as a Theodolite.

ETA: I say this because, to me, it appears slightly too large to be a Theodolite. But then again, perhaps too small to be a Meridian Telescope.

If a meridian telescope (which, thanks for that -- I'd never heard of those before), it would take us back to the "astronomical observatory" someone predicted several newpix back. Alas, OutsideH calls, and I haven't time to search the OTT just now.

ETA: wot's this? PagePope? (OutsideH's calling louder -- simmer down, OutsideH!) Lessee... my decree will be... no, let us say it is my request. That is a much more... pleasant word.

My request would be: please post pictures of vintage scientific instruments; especially but not exclusively to do with astronomy and surveying.
Last edited by partingLance on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Shush, be nice, we've never had a punishment for papal decree noncompliance. Yet.

I see the trauma of the forced lemonade popscicle distribution causes memory surpression.

k.bookbinder wrote:Perhaps this is some weird collaboration with Valve to announce the release of Half-Life 3. We've certainly been waiting long enough for that.

That would be ... neat.

Pikrass wrote:Hey, let's build a Vim church, so that Emacs or butterflies users are kept away by our prayers!

Hail to the esc and the sect of gvim!

mscha wrote:Also: dialONG!
Spoiler:

In which Cueball discovers mountain plateaus.

What goes up must come down, Cueball.

ETA: How strange. I blindposted from way back at NP1008, but it never showed up. I arrived sooner than my post did... what happened?
Last edited by thirds on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Note that it's two structures, one (with a rectangular frame) to hold up the platforms, roof, and ladder, and the other (with a narrower A frame) to hold the round thing in the top center.

If the round thing were a load-bearing wheel (as in a mine header or a pulley for a conveyance) its support would have to be the strongest part of the structure, and the platforms could just be attached to that without needing their own structure.

That tells me that the round thing is an instrument that has to be aimed with a lot of precision. It needs its own structure so that the weight of the user flexing the structure she's standing on doesn't affect the reading.

That should be enough of a clue to figure out the rest. (See if you can do so before opening the spoilers.)

Spoiler:
Now, the instrument does appear to have an elongated tube crossing the axle of the wheel, which is currently elevated a few degrees from horizontal (assuming it's aimed toward the left). That is too small to be an astronomical telescope (at least, one that would justify such an elaborate mount). But it's a telescope nonetheless...

*drumroll* (last chance...)
Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

(This one's from 1910, and I hope you'll agree, a truly and deeply beautiful artifact.)

And here are some vintage survey towers (from http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/survey_towers/timber.html

A-*hem*!

Indeed. (Edited the earlier post to acknowledge.)

ETA: Erm, yes. Thanks, k. bookbinder; though unlike Rule110, I didn't think through the implications of the separate structures. So maybe it's not just for watching.

Yeah, I didn't remember what the surveyor's thingy was called or exactly what it looks like. But the tower construction suggested a precision viewing platform, and from that I remembered reading about the towers built for the Great Trigonometric Survey that (among other things) "discovered" Mount Everest. (Discovered in scare-quotes because the locals, as usual, had already noticed it was there.) So I looked up survey instruments and survey towers, and found a bunch of images like the ones I posted.

And it does look like it really is (or was) being used for a survey here. Sure, you could do a lot of astronomical observing with a transit, despite the limited elevation; the one device could basically replace all of Stonehenge even if it couldn't elevate or magnify at all. It would also work just fine for a visual signal (e.g. semaphore) relay or a lookout post. But then there would be little reason for the tower; it would be more stable on a platform where the observer is just standing on the ground. In surveys, the elevation of the tower is used to clear obstacles to lines of sight.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:(...) a partial-filk prediction for what happens after they meet people:
Spoiler:
You know it isn't easy living here on Stickcrusher Mountain
Maybe you could cut me just a little slack.
Would it kill you to be civil?
I've been patient, I've been gracious
And this mountain is covered with meowlps
Hear them [gr/h]owling, my hungry children
Maybe you should stay and have another drink and think about me and you.

Ohhh, they'll still wait for you
but it's far too late for you,
even those Waiters think I'm crazy,
and they're all far from sanity.
If you could find some way to be (I want to get 'some Waiter' in here instead of 'some way to' but haven't spent much time figuring out how yet)
a little bit less afraid of me
you'd see the artist that controls me
says to wait for it, so I shouldn't kill you yet...

That's a ⁴ ottifrediction! I hope you're wrong, though...
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Has anyone done a mashup of this yet?

Also, this.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Papal Decree:
Spoiler:
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

Its way past time for me to coma, but I'll post this first:
Spoiler:
Not sure if Steampunk fits the definition of vintage, but it looks neat.

non-redundant:
Spoiler:
Molpy Down
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Hm. The object could be a Great Theodolite.
Spoiler:
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

nsub1

I put an ONG up here too!

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:@nsub1, Ximenez Nice avatars!

Thanks! I've been called infuriating before for it. :twisted:

I'm upset, I missed the Real Important Page, 1012! It was our KNP! At least there's the KNPa. Anyway, BORONG!

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Clearly the only ones who operate this device are molpies.

StormAngel

Postby StormAngel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Has anyone done a mashup of this yet?

Also, this.

Saw this post and forgot to coma, I'll go in a moment.

Spoiler:
Oelpr Jnhar, Knight of the Chronological Order
Purveyor of Pepsi, the One True Beverage
"HELLO. MY NAME IS STORMANGEL. YOU OTCOLORED MY NOPICES. PREPARE TO GO CAVE."
yappobiscuits wrote:"I wanna be redundant too! Lemme be redundant! C'monnn!"

My OTTifications on Imgur
Spoiler:
Ch*rp

mikro2nd

Re: I put an ONG up here too!

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

nsub1 wrote:BORONG!

Heresy! Ready the Foam Maiden and the S&Ms, Inquisitors...
The OTC is NEVER BORONG. Patience learn you must. Come to you in Time, it will.
Spoiler:
wait for it
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

AnotherKevin

Postby AnotherKevin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:
StormAngel wrote:We don't know that this is the top of the mountain

Not sure I agree... from np2217 (geekwagon count)
Spoiler:

so I'm guessing they really have reached the top.
Spoiler:
megan.png

There's an optical illusion at the Hunter Mountain ski area in New York. From the parking lot, it looks as if the top of the lifts and the "summit house" stand on the top of the mountain. In reality, it's just a spot where the slope is gentler above. It's a hike of about 3 km and 250 m of elevation gain to the actual summit. (Peculiarly, I've never ridden the lift, although I've hiked out to it from above to check out the view.) So I wouldn't lay long odds on their having reached the summit. Also, in "dissected plateau" topography, the true summits can be hard to find. There have been several occasions when I've arrived at the flat top of a trailless peak, only to spend the next half hour searching for the canister that holds the summit register.

partingLance wrote:The wheel, with its "crosspiece" at a slight angle, reminds me of nothing so much as a old-fashioned surveyor's transit: a simple telescope, more or less. So I too would vote for some kind of watchtower.

Rule110 wrote:A surveyor's transit.

Yeah. It looks just like a dimensional-lumber survey tower from the 1950s-1960s. I remember seeing the Coast and Geodetic Survey people erect and use them when I was a geeky kid. The outer tower is so that the surveyor can stand and use the transit without vibrating the inner tower, so as to get an accurate sight. It's odd to see one standing without people about. The uppermost bit is a frame for a canvas cover, which is more to keep the instruments from being rained on than for the comfort of the surveyors. It's odd to see one without people about. They were temporary structures, erected only for the duration of the survey (although by the mid-20th century, they were designed to be knocked down and reassembled at another site, rather than being built to serve a single survey and discarded). They surely wouldn't last through multiple seasons of storms, so I doubt this one has been abandoned that long.
All the rivers run into the sea, yet the sea is not full.
Unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.

mikro2nd

Postby mikro2nd » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:There's an optical illusion at the Hunter Mountain ski area in New York. From the parking lot, it looks as if the top of the lifts and the "summit house" stand on the top of the mountain. In reality, it's just a spot where the slope is gentler above. It's a hike of about 3 km and 250 m of elevation gain to the actual summit.

Good call! It brings to mind a hike I went on many years ago in the Hottentots-Holland Mountains - the last day's hiking is called Purgatory because it plays a similar optical illusion trick... you think you're hiking up to the summit, only to walk around a bend in the path to see the real summit towering way above you, previously hidden by buttresses, and the path winds it way upwards and on.

Nine times.

Or they've hiked up an escarpment...
One world, one soul
Time pass, the river rolls

HES

Crowbars and headmolpies

Postby HES » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Just sent 6 newpix cycling in a surprisingly hot England to Sherwood Forest. I was looking for this little squirpyBG, but he was busy stealing from the molpistocracy.

cellocgw wrote:On a completely unrelated topic: Has anyone else found that, after a few [heretical] weeks/months of living in the OTT, the forum threads for the 'regular' comics just aren't as interesting or engaging as they used to be? I'm a little worried that after TEOT all other xkcd threads will be too dreary to bother with :cry:

What other xkcd threads?
(I'm a pureblood OTTer)

k.bookbinder wrote:Are you suggesting that they are currently standing on top of Black Mesa? Oh wait...it does appear that they are standing on top of A black mesa, so maybe it is THE Black Mesa. :shock:

Perhaps that is it! Perhaps this is some weird collaboration with Valve to announce the release of Half-Life 3. We've certainly been waiting long enough for that.

By Randall we have. I picked up the Orange box a couple of years late and I've still been waiting a worrying fraction of my life...
StormAngel wrote:This?
Spoiler:

Brilliant!

Rule110 wrote:Note that it's two structures, one (with a rectangular frame) to hold up the platforms, roof, and ladder, and the other (with a narrower A frame) to hold the round thing in the top center.

If the round thing were a load-bearing wheel (as in a mine header or a pulley for a conveyance) its support would have to be the strongest part of the structure, and the platforms could just be attached to that without needing their own structure.

That tells me that the round thing is an instrument that has to be aimed with a lot of precision. It needs its own structure so that the weight of the user flexing the structure she's standing on doesn't affect the reading.

That should be enough of a clue to figure out the rest. (See if you can do so before opening the spoilers.)

Spoiler:
Now, the instrument does appear to have an elongated tube crossing the axle of the wheel, which is currently elevated a few degrees from horizontal (assuming it's aimed toward the left). That is too small to be an astronomical telescope (at least, one that would justify such an elaborate mount). But it's a telescope nonetheless...

Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

(This one's from 1910, and I hope you'll agree, a truly and deeply beautiful artifact.)

And here are some vintage survey towers (from http://celebrating200years.noaa.gov/survey_towers/timber.html

ETA: Yeah, thoroughly ninja'd by PartingLance. Interestingly, he seems to have identified the transit directly, while I was led there by considering the construction of the tower.

I really like this theory. Also a lovely artifact, much nicer than the largely automated units used today:
Spoiler:

The latest robotic versions follow you about (whilst staying in one place, of course) and all you have to do is push a button now and then

BGOne of these days I'll have a ketchup post that doesn't involve the millenimome
He/Him/His Image

nsub1

Postby nsub1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

mikro2nd wrote:

Heresy! Ready the Foam Maiden and the S&Ms, Inquisitors...
The OTC is NEVER BORONG. Patience learn you must. Come to you in Time, it will.
Spoiler:
wait for it

Perhaps borong was the wrong word. It's just another one of those situations where GLR is teasing us. Like there's probably something to see, but it's just off frame and we can't see it and c'mon just zoom out or maybe Megan can respond or something ahhhhh

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

kenmelken wrote:The shift appears to have gone up more than to the left, indicating that we are likely to see something tall.

EDIT: Oh goodness... this again already? Fine. Prepare ye citizens for the Fourth Imperial Reign of Semi-Supreme Emperor kenmelken. Decree: acknowledge someone on the OTT who you appreciate, especially someone you maybe haven't seen get much appreciation.

I pick poxic. She has enough of a presence on the fora to be one of those "too-cool-for-the-weirdos-on-the-time-thread" types, but instead comes with semi-regularity to have fun with all of us. I look forward to her typically short and witty, eloquently prismatic posts.

Oh... and let there be pasta!
Spoiler:

EHrm, you are (or were) still kenmelken, the sort of terrible, right?

Ronald
Spoiler:
I followed Time until The End and I cannot even buy a chirping T-shirt.

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Prediction: they'll climb the tower for a better view, discover the transit, and start looking through it to find where people might be. The view will then shift to a round field of view of the magnified horizon through the transit, and the ensuing 360 newpix will show a complete panorama in one degree increments.
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:Hope I don't screw up this one: Other Comic alert!

Not related to the OTC this time but a nice in memoriam of Mr. Engelbart.

I think it is OTT related. It describes what we are doing to the (OT)T.

Ronald

Way ahead of his time, that Mr Engelbart
Spoiler:

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Prediction: they'll climb the tower for a better view, discover the transit, and start looking through it to find where people might be. The view will then shift to a round field of view of the magnified horizon through the transit, and the ensuing 360 newpix will show a complete panorama in one degree increments.

haha, this!

..."I waited 360 hours for millions of darkening and lightening pixels!?"

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

HES wrote:I love all the speculation and calculation going on. It's totally not my area, so I'll leave it to more knowledgeable among us, but in the mean time here's your othercomic reminder.

Maybe cuegan are in this mirrorverse -would that æffect the northern/southern hemisphere issue?

Just one thing before I coma, if quoting (neat) diagrams, please use spoilers! The last few newpages have been filling up with multiple repeated images.

What's wrong with youse guys and scrolling? Get a tablet, scrollingswiping is fun.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

partingLance wrote:The wheel, with its "crosspiece" at a slight angle, reminds me of nothing so much as a old-fashioned surveyor's transit: a simple telescope, more or less. So I too would vote for some kind of watchtower.

It's obviously there to measure the rise in the sea.

For papal decree suggestion:
The Palomar 200 inch telescope. For most of my youth it was "the" telescope for astronomy.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

rvloon wrote:

Ronald

7, okay, I see the whole thing differently now:
Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Engelbart.png

redundant24.png
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

Well, Randall did warn you.

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 pm UTC

AnotherKevin wrote:Yeah. It looks just like a dimensional-lumber survey tower from the 1950s-1960s. I remember seeing the Coast and Geodetic Survey people erect and use them when I was a geeky kid. The outer tower is so that the surveyor can stand and use the transit without vibrating the inner tower, so as to get an accurate sight. It's odd to see one standing without people about. The uppermost bit is a frame for a canvas cover, which is more to keep the instruments from being rained on than for the comfort of the surveyors. It's odd to see one without people about. They were temporary structures, erected only for the duration of the survey (although by the mid-20th century, they were designed to be knocked down and reassembled at another site, rather than being built to serve a single survey and discarded). They surely wouldn't last through multiple seasons of storms, so I doubt this one has been abandoned that long.

Perhaps it was abandoned very recently, once they (whoever they may be) spotted Cuegan coming up.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:Prediction: they'll climb the tower for a better view, discover the transit, and start looking through it to find where people might be. The view will then shift to a round field of view of the magnified horizon through the transit, and the ensuing 360 newpix will show a complete panorama in one degree increments.

What would be even worse is if our view doesn't shift while Cuegan inspects 360 degrees at 1 degree per newpix. I can totally see this happening, complete with Cuegan saying
"Oh!"
"Neat."
"Wow."
"Yeah."
While we just watch them looking through the transit.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

thirds

Postby thirds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

GONG

They're on the move again. To the ladder?
Last edited by thirds on Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rvloon

Postby rvloon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
rvloon wrote:

Ronald

Spoiler:

Redundant:
Spoiler:

Engelbart.png

redundant24.png

Precisely! High-5!

Ronald
Spoiler:

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:03 pm UTC

Pikrass wrote:Blindposting from NP 928. I'll get back to the present soon, I promise! (And I'll try to make you a present present if I find a good idea.)

Earthling on Mars wrote:@Pikrass - impossible colors
Spoiler:
Pikrass wrote:This discussion about color perception reminded me of two links I dug out of my browser history :
http://color.method.ac/ : a game where you have to match colors on a wheel
http://blog.asmartbear.com/color-wheels.html : an article explaining how our brain applies filters to our three types of cones to generate colors (e.g. it explains why "greenish-red" can't be a real color)

I linked to this article a few pages later. The article you linked to has a fair point, but let me now quote from yet another article:
io9 wrote:Admittedly, the methodology of that experiment has since been criticized, and many vision researchers say impossible colors are called that for a reason – they really are impossible. There are, to be sure, a lot of alternative explanations for the colors the people saw: they were just intermediate colors between the two, the experimenters hadn't properly controlled for luminance and that threw off the results, or the test subjects were really just see red, then green, then red, and so on, and never actually viewing them simultaneously.

These are all fair points. However, if I may make a counterpoint, you're ruining all the fun, vision experts. Sure, impossible colors might actually be impossible, but that doesn't change the fact that test subjects saw colors they had never seen before. Impossible colors might not exist, but if it's possible to fool our brains into thinking they do, then I'd say that's still pretty awesome.

Well, the brain applies filters to the signals received from each of our eyes, but it has yet to combine the images of the two eyes together. And I guess that's what generates the "impossible colors".

This reminds me of something I sometimes wonder: do we all perceive the colors the same way? Maybe my green is not someone else's green, and his brain create another mental image for that color?

They couldn't be anything but the same. Unless you think you could dig out a piece of brain with greenness in it and compare it with someone else's.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Greetings from NP 991 & 992!
edfel wrote:Hmm, actually, yes, it's already been seen. It matches Jupiter In the "13291 hypothesis" (see alignments on the wiki, link below... I don't know how I've forgotten that).
However, I don't think anyone compared brightness. According to stellarium, Jupiter is indeed brighter than the two stars you mentioned, but would the difference be important enough to be noticed. Also, did you compare the original frames, since the stitch is likely to change the luminosity and size of the dots.

I did, with two samples of each starnet.
Magnitudes.png
Magnitudes.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 10380 times

"Jupiter"(?) looks brighter than I thought at first, and certainly brighter than Kaus Australis (epsilon Sgr), Girtab (theta Sco) and Fomalhaut, but it's debatable as to whether it's actually brighter than Altair, let alone, what, 13.8 times brighter? *shrugcringe* But this is a reduction and projection, and not perfect. (We can also see that Even KausAus seems dimmer than Girtab, when it should be the other way around...) So I'll let it slide. (I've also since found the reasoning for 13291, and am quite impressed.) Just something that was bothering me, though...

edo wrote:Jupiter is a best match, Saturn is close. Stellarium says either is bright enough. (so If this is Jupiter, what's the third planet...)

Third planet??? Did we find a third planet?
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

AluisioASG

Nautilus Time

Postby AluisioASG » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

Ray Kremer wrote:During my journey through the recent past today I came across this post from AluisioASG on page 970 that for some reason I cannot fathom was later edited to quote this post from mscha on page 994 which contains an animation that uses newpix that did not exist yet on page 970.

Judging from the fact I didn't even put the quote tags in their own lines, and that there is a blank line between the quote and my answer, I believe it has to do with the multiquote script (I edited that post to fix the subject).
(Confirmed: it'll keep adding saved stuff until I post.)

Neil_Boekend wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I claim the role of high Inquisitor.
Anyone who defies me will receive a burned steak!

You're dead. You can't apply for that job.

Fjew, then it's good I didn't apply. I just claimed it. Completely different. Kind of like the difference between an armed robbery and a request for a donation.

Well, in this case GIVE THE INQUISITION'S POWER TO THE PEOPLE, or else…
(Trust me, that was [caused by] a trebuchet.)

Then it's good that I am already dead. Fire won't harm me.
The Inquisition is all about religion and preventing people from having the wrong kind of afterlife. Who better can advise you than someone who is already dead? Someone who is there?
Trust me, you don't want the wrong kind of afterlife.

'Afterlife' makes as much sense as 'end of Time'. You are there (wherever it is) because of a glitch.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

Randallspeed on your blitz, january1may! Save the Present!

iisjreg

Postby iisjreg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

(I apologise if this has been said, my ketchup is rotten)

I think it seems more like a Meridian circle, because I can't really see a vertical pivot -
e.g.
Spoiler:

If it is, then we know that the camera is facing North or South, as the meridian circle always faces east/west.

However, this doesn't match the previous frames of stars because the telescope should be facing the facing the same way?

Here's an interesting image found here:

Spoiler:

BlitzGirl

And now for some regular ketchup...

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Responses to:
rvloon, mscha, cellocgw, HES, thirds, Angelastic

rvloon wrote:
Spoiler:
BlitzGirl wrote:
rvloon wrote:

Ronald

Redundant:
Precisely! High-5!
*high-fives Ronald* Image

mscha wrote:BlitzGirl, a slightly belated happy 1400th!
Spoiler:
(Post faster, you were supposed to have caught up with me by now! I really want to be expelled from the #1 spot...)

Thanks, mscha! I'm waiting as fast as I can, I promise!

cellocgw wrote:On a completely unrelated topic: Has anyone else found that, after a few [heretical] weeks/months of living in the OTT, the forum threads for the 'regular' comics just aren't as interesting or engaging as they used to be? <snip>

I have. I've only posted in one Othercomic thread since the beginning of Time, and that was around newpix 475 or so. Nowadips, I usually get irritated that the posters in Otherthreads aren't as neat as y'all.

HES wrote:Just sent 6 newpix cycling in a surprisingly hot England to Sherwood Forest. I was looking for this little squirpyBG, but he was busy stealing from the molpistocracy.

You know those squirpys, always stealing bags that don't belong to them:
Spoiler:

thirds wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Shush, be nice, we've never had a punishment for papal decree noncompliance. Yet.

I see the trauma of the forced lemonade popscicle distribution causes memory surpression.

Oh. Well, if you recall, I myself was never actually punished for posting on that page, since I presented the Lemonade Cakesicle. :wink: That must be why I didn't count that decree.

Angelastic wrote:Further to this (which I actually wrote a bit of a beginning for a while back, with a secret shed rather than a secret lair, and HatGirl as Scarface [her appearance was quite disturbing, but I assure you she's harmless enough; she's a sweetheart, calls me Maître, and she has a sleighnp970 and bugs with pretty wings for bringing kids to me], but I thought I'd better wait and see if the cattack had any influence on my ideas) a partial-filk prediction for what happens after they meet people:
Spoiler:
You know it isn't easy living here on Stickcrusher Mountain
Maybe you could cut me just a little slack.
Would it kill you to be civil?
I've been patient, I've been gracious
And this mountain is covered with meowlps
Hear them [gr/h]owling, my hungry children
Maybe you should stay and have another drink and think about me and you.

Ohhh, they'll still wait for you
but it's far too late for you,
even those Waiters think I'm crazy,
and they're all far from sanity.
If you could find some way to be (I want to get 'some Waiter' in here instead of 'some way to' but haven't spent much time figuring out how yet)
a little bit less afraid of me
you'd see the artist that controls me
says to wait for it, so I shouldn't kill you yet...
Image Awefulsome!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

fhorn wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
fhorn wrote:rvloon, you forgot the responses!
Will you, <insert name here> take <insert yappobiscuit's name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?
<insert name here>: Wow.

And will you, yappobiscuits, take <insert name here> to wait for it and to coma at appropriate times, to cherish and to whack any ontoward molpies on the head with a stick if the situation so warrants, so help you GLR ?
YappoB: Neat.

What, no 'Yeah.'?

Perhaps something more like:
Will you, person A (etc etc)?
Person A: Yeah.
Person B: Wow.

And will you, person B (etc etc)?
Person B: Yeah.
Person A: Neat.

Well, it IS your ceremony, YappoB, you can word it however you like!

ed b/c misplaced commentary

So are they actually married now? Is it like a shodurmar?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Exodies wrote:
Pikrass wrote:
Well, the brain applies filters to the signals received from each of our eyes, but it has yet to combine the images of the two eyes together. And I guess that's what generates the "impossible colors".

This reminds me of something I sometimes wonder: do we all perceive the colors the same way? Maybe my green is not someone else's green, and his brain create another mental image for that color?

They couldn't be anything but the same. Unless you think you could dig out a piece of brain with greenness in it and compare it with someone else's.

Since we can't ever compare, they could be either the same or different, and we'll never know. What we know is that we've agreed to the naming conventions. The perceiving conventions, much harder to determine. Maybe that difference accounts for some of the differences in color preferences. There's some evidence that difference in taste perceptions account for some likes and dislikes in food, so maybe that's true of color too.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

sford

Postby sford » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Rule110 wrote:
partingLance wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
A surveyor's transit.

A-*hem*!

Indeed. (Edited the earlier post to acknowledge.)

Rule110, you are a gentleperson for giving credit. But you were the one who dug up the very compelling evidence. My hat's off to both of you, but I am in awe of your Google-fu.

cari.j.elliot

Postby cari.j.elliot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

My hobby:
Searching our True Thread
For a random word or phrase
Ignore posts between

Can't say if it makes more or less sense than reading the contiguous thread.
I would like to request that anyone currently doing whatever and posting a large (or even medium) number/volume of responses in a singe post should
Spoiler:
spoiler them.
Thank you.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

allalONGthewatchtower...

My first ONG!!!
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

mscha

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

Cake!

Happy 200th, thirds!
Spoiler:
Happy 100th, mikro2nd! (Well, 101st now.)
Spoiler:

HES wrote:Just sent 6 newpix cycling in a surprisingly hot England to Sherwood Forest. I was looking for this little squirpyBG, but he was busy stealing from the molpistocracy.

Welcome back, HES! (Not that you were really gone...) That is one feisty squirpy, BlitzGirl!

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:

Last edited by mscha on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Megan is doing quite well for having an injured leg. I suppose she's out of danger now? Her mobility does not seem to be affected. I assume that we all have been assuming that the device is pointing out over the cliff and down the mountain. Could it be used to view what may be further up the mountain (if, indeed, they have not yet reached the summit)?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”