1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

NetWeasel

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Prediction:

Newpic-- MEGAN: Now throw YOUR rope!
Next Newpic Other Twenty: WHAT rope?
Next Next Newpic: MEGAN: Chirpity Chirp-Chirp!

Edit: PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:
When you leave your place of dwelling, do you now automatically look for your path of escape should the waters start rising? Are you more acutely aware of the location of the temporary islands you could be trapped on?
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Annals of the Western Shore by Ursala K. Le Guin. The books are Gifts, Voices, Powers. Excellent, wonderful series that I can't say enough good things about. She's my favorite fantasy writer (after Tolkien, of course) because her stuff just feels so realistic.

If you haven't read them yet, the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold is very good. Start with Cordelia's Honor and go from there. They're already grouped in omnibus editions so you get 2 or 3 novels for the price of one. All of them are excellent stand-alone books, so you can read just one, or several, or all of them. I think there are 12 or 15 by now, aren't there (combined into about five omnibus editions)? These are often laugh out loud funny as well as full of action and interest. Very page-turnery.

Oh, also, any otters on Goodreads should friend me. I'm http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/180908-tatiana
If you answer "I'm an otter" to my friend question, you're a shoo in. Let me know your posting name in the OTT, too.
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And hey, molpy up! Looks like the rest of the Forty in the hills were able to find at least some Hill People materials to build a raft from. :)

I'm guessing they actually found a boat (that the Hill People used on the river).

Ah, that's a good theory. The Hill People, builders that they are, living alongside the river as they did, would probably use boats (or ferries, anyway). They wouldn't have reason to take these with them when they fled on foot.

We never have seen what's on the far side of the seaish river - and now that it's about to be submerged, I guess we never will...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

More books/Authors. Not quite seaish. Big lakeish.

Spoiler:
Marion Zimmer Bradley has written a lot of fantasy (Darkover...) and some scifi. My wife likes it a lot.

Margaret Atwood has some chilling fantasy.

Hitchhikers Guide, of course. Douglas Adams

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Julian May. Her Saga of Pliocene Exile (Saga of the Exiles in the UK) is very relevant here, of course. People present in 5my bc via one way time travel.

Kim Stanley Robinson. Mars series (Red, Green, Blue) I didn't read this.

Ayn Rand: the anti Le Guin, I guess. She has caused a lot of trouble in the world, actually. Selfishness as a virtue. Sort of the anti-Christ kind of thing.

Berserker Series by Fred Saberhagen. Space opera against the AI killer ships out to destroy all life. Great stuff.

Zones of Thought series (and others) by Vernor Vinge.

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut, though not all scifi. I knew his illustrator, in fact. Made most of his covers.

Timothy Zahn writes a lot of Star Wars stuff. Haven't read.

Amber series by Roger Zelazny (fantasy)

Larry Niven has been mentioned, of course, but the Man-Kzin wars books are xenophobia at its best.

Previously noted in the OTT:
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Riddley Walker

That's it for now. Maybe a bit more later.
Lurking. Watching. Thinking. Writing. Waiting.
-- Charlie Grumbles

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Prediction:

Newpic-- MEGAN: Now throw YOUR rope!
Next Newpic Other Twenty: WHAT rope?
Next Next Newpic: MEGAN: Chirpity Chirp-Chirp!

Edit: PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:
When you leave your place of dwelling, do you now automatically look for your path of escape should the waters start rising? Are you more acutely aware of the location of the temporary islands you could be trapped on?

I do! I live right by a hill, but the nearest mountains are a hundred miles away. I think I'd have to go the "build a raft" route.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, iskinner, and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

b2bomberkrh wrote: Also, a haiku is NOT a haiku, just because it has the correct number of syllables. There's a little bit more to it than that, but a lot of the "haiku" that's been posted here doesn't really follow any of the principles of the haiku poetic form. In particular, we seem to be woefully lacking in the comparison/contrast of two ideas/thoughts/situations which is normally an essential part of the haiku. But, it's fun to just mimic the structure, even without the rest of what makes a haiku.

Also generally missing is the link with nature. Thought to be essential.

Yes Vernor Vinge is in my latest list.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Fictioneer

Postby Fictioneer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Edit: PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:

A little bit, especially since we had some flooding in downtown Toronto where I live, recently, due to a big load of rain the storm sewers couldn't keep up with. A bus I took home passed along a street a block away from mine that was six inches underwater. Had never seen that before.

Funny thing about islands, I'm currently on one, at a writing retreat. The spot I'm on is Gibraltar Point. (It's all related!)

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:

No... but now I will undoubtedly obsess on it, thank you very much. :roll:
New to the Time thread? Click here!

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

"Expect friskiness." -- keithl

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:PagePope! OK, not a decree, but a question:

No... but now I will undoubtedly obsess on it, thank you very much. :roll:

Now you have genuinely grown into your name. Your welcum.
Last edited by NetWeasel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:While there is plenty of story that could still be told, this feels too much like a grand climax to me;
There have been no heroics yet. This setting is too epic to go by without grand heroics. This is nowhere near a grand climax. We are just starting off on the adventure that will lead to the grand climax, which will be at the castle, as the BIG waves start to arrive.

yappobiscuits wrote:You water be ashamed of yourself.
Ice sea what you did just there. Wave gotta stop this.

b2bomberkrh wrote:What I stated was that I believe there are deep, unanswered questions about the human mind and it's relationship to the quantum mechanical world. [...] In fact, the original purpose of my post was to suggest that minds are more than just that, and to point out that there is much that we don't yet understand about how consciousness, free will and so on fit into the "laws" of the physical universe.
The deep question is "what is consciousneess?", and the anwser is that it is a point of view. We look at rocks, machines, computers, and other people in the third person. We look at ourselves in the first person. Therefore, we "seem different in a different way". But I posit is is all POV, and none of it is QM.

re. haiku: My understanding is that it is supposed to be two contrasting ideas, expressed in seven (Japanese) symbols: 2, 3, 2, and there is supposed to be a reference to seasons, or a season of the year as part of the metaphor. The 5,7,5 syllable thing is an adaptation.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

BlitzGirl

A Dash of Ketchup and Haiku

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

Angelastic wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Spoiler:
Angelastic wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:The haiku return
A breath of fresh air within
An impatient Time

And the newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
that that's a haiku?

The next newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's some JavaScript?

The third newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
the image changes?

The fifth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's an FAQ?

The sixth newbie asks:
Has anybody noticed
there's no fourth newbie?

Then they ask about
finite possibilities
of plural Lego.
I'm worried--what happened to the fourth newbie?

The Great Lord Randall
redacted the fourth newbie,
for xe was mustard.

Turns out the newbie
Was not so lucky; transformed
Into raptorcat.

(Would not blitz again.)

yappobiscuits wrote:Image <(MY hat has a FLAG on it!)
Image <(Who the chirp are you?)
Image <(Shut up BlitzGirl, you're not even IN the comic!)
GWAH FOR ALL YOU KNOW UNDERSTAND COMPREHEND I MIGHT HAVE GROWN MY HAIR OUT LONGER AND GIVEN MY HAT TO THE BENEFIT CAUSE OF SCIENCĒ

yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.
That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...No! NO! Bad BlitzGirl! Remember the Bag Incident of Newpage 467?!
Never forget!

:evil: You water be ashamed of yourself.

Well, you otter be ashamed of yourself, too!
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

charlie_grumbles

Postby charlie_grumbles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:48 pm UTC

If you follow the arc of the rope in the latest frame you will see that either the gravity is a bit weird in randallverse, or the wind is gusty. Probably the latter.
-- Charlie Grumbles

Valiant Cookie

Re: A Dash of Ketchup and Haiku

Postby Valiant Cookie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:[snip]

Haha! I seal what you did there.
Is it time? Yes.

yappobiscuits

Re: A Dash of Ketchup and Haiku

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
yappobiscuits wrote:Image <(MY hat has a FLAG on it!)
Image <(Who the chirp are you?)
Image <(Shut up BlitzGirl, you're not even IN the comic!)
GWAH FOR ALL YOU KNOW UNDERSTAND COMPREHEND I MIGHT HAVE GROWN MY HAIR OUT LONGER AND GIVEN MY HAT TO THE BENEFIT CAUSE OF SCIENCĒ

So... you deny all accusations of being LaPetite, but freely admit to being Rosetta! Hmm...
BlitzGirl wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Spoiler:
Eternal Density wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Some changes this newpix: The waves seem to be getting more seaish.
That's rather... apt.

Water you talking aboat? I don't sea anything wrong with...No! NO! Bad BlitzGirl! Remember the Bag Incident of Newpage 467?!
Never forget!

:evil: You water be ashamed of yourself.

Spoiler:

Redundant. May or may not be a kitty, we have no way of knowing.
Spoiler:
redundakitty14.jpg

Otter_Nonsense.jpg
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:...but now I will undoubtedly obsess on it, thank you very much. :roll:

Now you have genuinely grown into your name. Your welcum.

*sputter* But, but -- why, you... OK, it's a fair cop. :oops:

ucim wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:While there is plenty of story that could still be told, this feels too much like a grand climax to me;

There have been no heroics yet. This setting is too epic to go by without grand heroics. This is nowhere near a grand climax. We are just starting off on the adventure that will lead to the grand climax, which will be at the castle, as the BIG waves start to arrive.

I should say, it feels like the beginning of the grand climax. Agreed that there's still quite a bit to play out. (Though seeing how quickly the plot is rolling along, my guess of how much Outside time that will take is a lot lower than it would have been a little while ago.)

Really what I'm suggesting / predicting is that when the water is done frisking about, we will transition into epilogue. We will not embark into a major Act N+1 of the Cueganites finding a new home, Megan going off to study with Rosetta, or whatever. At least, not in the current incarnation of Time.

ETA: would love to hear what you (and other people) think. Earlier there was a lot of speculation that we might still be in the early stages of something even grander; I'm wondering how everyone sees it in light of the recent acceleration in pace.
Last edited by nerdsniped on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"we are dangerously close to answers. Let's hope they lead to more questions..." -- HES

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

I think this is a good suggestion...hearing Rosetta speak in a very thick/unfamiliar (non-English) accent would certainly lend an air of authenticity of what was represented on screen. Also the layering is a must, in my opinion. Whether it be JUST white noise or some of her 'alternate' words that were overlayed during her speech, or both.
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

edfel

Postby edfel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

A little side-project I've just started working on:
The OTC Narrative Chart

For those who don't know how to read it: http://xkcd.com/657.
Horizontal axis is time (not to scale), vertical axis appears to somehow correspond to elevation :)

I just realise I didn't draw the return trips for Cuegan from the castle to the village... maybe next version ^^

redundant
Spoiler:
I'm not a bluffer like yappo, why should there be a kitty hidden in these tangled lines?
timeline.png
Waiting for it: Map of Time, same, no JS, Ages of Time.
Beginning a new story with every choice, no matter how small: Goodies.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

AWESOMEFUL, edfel! And there kinda IS a kitty in the spoiler, if you include Lucky's line :P (Or is that what you were getting at anyway...)
Last edited by yappobiscuits on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Blindposting from several pages ago.

SBN wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:OO, Pope.
I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

Raymond E. Feist has some good ones. I'm not sure where the best place to start is. But then I'm also not sure it is possible to finish the Pern series. McCaffrey's got some other works that are very good too. I liked the Petaybee series, maybe more than Pern.

If you're after something a little more 'typically' sci-fi, Anne McCaffrey's other series include the Tower series (basically about people with varying levels of telepath and teleport abilities, using these to facilitate travel between worlds) and the Freedom series (kidnapped people dropped on a planet to see if it's inhabitable, settling out of necessity.) The Crystal Singer series might also be of interest, I dunno. (Does exactly what it says on the tin.. people who mine crystal by singing at it. It's a pretty interesting universe. Often some kind of political drama going down wherever the singers are, when they venture offworld.)

It's totally doable to read it all though, eventually. I've basically read everything I could find by two authors: Roald Dahl, and Anne McCaffrey. Most of the brainship series were hard to track down, and then I gave up. And I hear she published several romance novels, but ehhh. Regular novels already have too much romance for my tastes.

Anyway! Books!

I highly recommend the 'Ancient Future' series by Traci Harding. I love it for the time travel, but there are many reasons. It does get a bit completely insane in the third book, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sara Douglass is another to check out. I quite liked the Axis series. There were some quite a few scenes that creeped me the chirp out though, so, be warned. (The Axis trilogy isn't so bad, but maybe I'm just saying that because the second trilogy is even worse.)
Wait for it.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

PullONG
Last edited by neopifex on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Really what I'm suggesting / predicting is that when the water is done frisking about, we will transition into epilogue. We will not embark into a major Act N+1 of the Cueganites finding a new home, Megan going off to study with Rosetta, or whatever. At least, not in the current incarnation of Time.

There's a point it seems like everyone's forgetting -- The Great FloodPause. Once the new sea level gets to about 500 meters below the Chateau D'if (roughly), the flood will stop, from Cuegan's POV.
Actually, the waters will have reached the height of the Sicily Sill, and the waters will be busy filling up the Eastern Mediterranean. For about a week. Then the flood continues, in an "other side of the hurricane's eye" sort of way.

Quoth the Bowl of Petunias, "Oh, no, not again."

Which may be enough for them to decide NOT to settle on the new coast when this is all over.

Zorin_75

Postby Zorin_75 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

MajorDouble7 wrote:
saralonde wrote:
Eliram wrote:IMO Hairdo/Rosetta's voice could/should be layered with multiple channels, as is the visual representation of the text. The main channel should be the loudest one, back channels can include the grey words, static noise (which gets louder in the black spots) and/or a reversed version of the recording with lower volume.

Newb suggestion, but what if Rosetta was voiced by one of the non-English speakers? Might lend an air of authenticity, as well as give those members a chance they wouldn't otherwise be likely to have?

I think this is a good suggestion...hearing Rosetta speak in a very thick/unfamiliar (non-English) accent would certainly lend an air of authenticity of what was represented on screen. Also the layering is a must, in my opinion. Whether it be JUST white noise or some of her 'alternate' words that were overlayed during her speech, or both.

Sounds good, both the layering and the foreign accent. Actually deciphering the blotchspeak felt a lot like hearing French to me (in theory I speak it a little, but the hard part is making out any words in the first place...) :wink:
Go Minim go!

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:09 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:PullONG
<snip>

Neopifex, your ONG actually directs to time.png, which will update and become spoilery. It would be awesomeful if you could correct it to http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time/82a748 ... 49a279.png which is the actual hash. :)

Wowterful narrative chart, edfel!

Oh, and our rope isn't strong enough.
Hold this or you'll fall.
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

paha arkkitehti

Postby paha arkkitehti » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Prediction: Cuegan and co. will be swept out to the sea. While they continue floating around, they will join more and more flotsam into their raft and also rescue various groups of hill-people. They will eventually wash ashore on Chateau d'If with a whole floating village.

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:11 pm UTC

edfel wrote:A little side-project I've just started working on:
The OTC Narrative Chart
Spoiler:

For those who don't know how to read it: http://xkcd.com/657.
Horizontal axis is time (not to scale), vertical axis appears to somehow correspond to elevation :)

I just realise I didn't draw the return trips for Cuegan from the castle to the village... maybe next version ^^

Sometimes I miss a "I LIKE" button beneath a posting. I'd press it. :)

I'm missing some flux in the early days of the Cuegan-line. From time to time, one of them left.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:I strongly urge you to check Prisencolinensinainciusol out - It's how an pop song in English sounds if you don't understand English, and is superb - I sometimes play it for people, and it's amazing how people try to pull comprehension out of it. It's one of the strangest thing's I've ever heard. The dancing is cool, too.

THANK YOU!!! I... just... words no have... Instantly bookmarked!
Again... THANK YOU!!!!

Edit: This is not off topic, BTW. cryptoengineer may have just found what Rosetta sounds like....
...if she were Bob Dylan.

Similar video, but spoken word: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY (Not sure where I first came across this, may have been this thread.) Some words are clearly recognisable ('yeah, sure') some are babbling, it seems to fit the semi-obscured speech of Rosetta.
Wait for it.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:15 pm UTC

nerdsniped wrote:Really what I'm suggesting / predicting is that when the water is done frisking about, we will transition into epilogue. We will not embark into a major Act N+1 of the Cueganites finding a new home, Megan going off to study with Rosetta, or whatever.
Agreed. But the water hasn't even begun to frisk yet. We are at the point where Luke and ObiWan set off in a hurry with Han Solo. (You didn't know his ship model was a "Hurry"?)

@edfel
- treeish graph!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

schwartzbewithyou

Postby schwartzbewithyou » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

Well.. I live in the desert so this would normally not cross my mind. BUT we are however in monsooon seasip so we get frequent flash flooding. We have a 'stupid motorist law' (it's ACTUALLY called that - check out wiki) where you have to pay all the costs associated with you getting saved from drowning in your own car. So now... :shock:
Dracomax wrote:I've been out of school for 5 years, and I'm still trying to figure out why everyone keeps acting like I know what I'm doing.

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right/I hope you had the time of your life.

nerdsniped

Postby nerdsniped » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
nerdsniped wrote:Really what I'm suggesting / predicting is that when the water is done frisking about, we will transition into epilogue. We will not embark into a major Act N+1 of the Cueganites finding a new home, Megan going off to study with Rosetta, or whatever.
Agreed. But the water hasn't even begun to frisk yet. We are at the point where Luke and ObiWan set off in a hurry with Han Solo. (You didn't know his ship model was a "Hurry"?)

Yes, hopefully we'll have quite a lot of frisking to enjoy. Thus continues Time.

neopifex

Postby neopifex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Neopifex, your ONG actually directs to time.png, which will update and become spoilery.

Fixed. Sorry about that, must have been moving too quick to notice. :(
C'mon, let's see what's through here!

Ace

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Not since I moved back Down South. But when I was up the Top End, it was nearly 30 years since Tracy, so they were bracing for a big one. Still hasn't hit, at least, not where I was. But I knew which room was reinforced, should it come to that (the bathroom), and where the nearest public cyclone shelter was. (The Hub's underground parking area.)

Clarification: As my location states, I live in Australia. Here, south is colder, more temperate, north - Top End - is tropical. The Wet/Cyclone season is Nov-May (Mar? one of the Ms..). Down South is everywhere that isn't Top End. Even east/west is 'Down South'.
Last edited by Ace on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait for it.

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

charlie_grumbles wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I decree that all who feel like it shall advise me on a good book series to start once I have finished Anne McCaffrey's Pern series.

In my view, popes have gotten all too polite lately. :twisted:
Anyway:

Huge list. Spoilered.

Blind Post-thank you!!! cannot wait for your additional suggestions- I really need to put Wolfe on the top of my list now.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

No worries neopifex, happens to all of us. :) Thanks for fixing!

schwartzbewithyou wrote:...seasip...

PFFTHH!

I miss living in the desert sometimes, but monsoon seasip is one thing I do not miss. :wink:
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

neopifex wrote:PullONG
Spoiler:

Oh, look! I was kind of correct about this. Yea me!

Wonderful narrative chart map, oh Holy Catographer!
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

edfel wrote:Horizontal axis is time (not to scale), vertical axis appears to somehow correspond to elevation :)

You should add a line for the sea.

saralonde

Postby saralonde » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

paha arkkitehti wrote:Prediction: Cuegan and co. will be swept out to the sea. While they continue floating around, they will join more and more flotsam into their raft and also rescue various groups of hill-people. They will eventually wash ashore on Chateau d'If with a whole floating village.

I guess that means Cuegan are Hiro and Y.T. from Snow Crash. (I'm sure that was mentioned in the sci-fi read list.)

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:Hi all! have finally got around to delurking. (But I shall relurk immediately) I have been reading the OTC since the beginning of Time, but only lurking the OTT from Time to Time. Todip I was thinking about asking What If questions about the OTC, when I had a scary thought: What If the OTC is simply the leadup to a What If question about, say, the Strait of Gibraltar getting blocked? :shock: Not very likely seeing how long it has been running, but I had to share.

FirstPost Bump! Welcome to the OTT, bachaddict!
HES wrote:That's not how these things work; Beardo will know, but before telling them he will send them on a quest for the magical sand timer of the molpy people. He'll give them a stick with +1 Thwapping and [...] once Time ends, it will restart on a higher difficulty setting.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Random832's sig wrote:Ask me about my OTT Statistics Project!

What's your OTT Statistics Project? :)

(Are you talking about your word clouds3, or something else?)

3treeish
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

b2bomberkrh

Postby b2bomberkrh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
edfel wrote:Horizontal axis is time (not to scale), vertical axis appears to somehow correspond to elevation :)

You should add a line for the sea.

I remember trying to explain that particular xkcd to someone else. About the time I got to the point that I was saying "and twelve angry men...hahaha was just a bunch of straight lines...hahaha..." and they were staring blankly at me, I realized that xkcd really has to be experienced in order to be appreciated. It wasn't the only time that it hasn't translated well to the word of mouth form ("wouldn't recommend..." being another memorable example.)

MajorDouble7

Postby MajorDouble7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

joselynmay wrote:Hello,

I am also choosing this moment to delurk! (Though as it is my first post it may be that only the blitzers see it :P )

I haven't fully ketchup-ed since yesterday, so someone else might have already thought of this, but I was looking at the bit of tree at the end of the raft thinking that it looks a bit rudder-ish. Does anyone know, or have experience of, how good a leafy branch would be at steering the raft?

Thanks,
Beki.

joselynmay! Welcome! I wanted to post another FirstPost Bump, in the unlikely event it hasn't already been ninja'd!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”