1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

balthasar_s

WORLD B IS THE PLACE WHERE ONGCIRCLES ARE REPLACED WITH CHRONOTRANSPONDERS

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:08 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:You have to give us much more information in order for me or anyone else to have any idea what's it's doing for you.
  The memes that you can get depend greatly on the pattern you specify. Some patterns give no memes at all (you'll just keep getting the "Sorry, I could not find a match…" message).
I didn't expect anyone to do anything with it. I did not complain either. I found the randomness to be not how I expected it to be so I posted.
What I have seen:
I go to automome, enter some pattern and click cuegan to receive meme.
At first I get the sorry I could not
then after some clicking a meme appears.
good.
more clicking, same meme.
more clicking, a new meme.
clickagain.
the first meme again.
what?
clickagain, the second meme again.
whaaat?
Just how likely is it, to randomly select the same meme again?
Not only the pattern but also some words are randomly chosen.
The probability should be very low, but it's happening.

Actually, I suspect that it has a list of generated memes and goes through it and if it runs out of examples it starts from the beginning. Am I right?

Another thing.

go to automome.

I click cuegan a few times. try to remember the memes.
then I reload the page or open it a new tab.
I click cuegan again
I get exactly the same memes, in the same order.
Now what's the probability of this happening?

100%, if the randomness generator uses the same seed.

(I tried to see if closing and reopening the browser has the same effect. I closed the browser with my post in the edit window. oops. I rewrote it today.)

january1may wrote:Well, six, actually.
But the idea is the important thing.

(Sorry, I just had to make that p*n.
I didn't get it. the p*n, and the everything.

Pfhorrest wrote: I'd love to hear if anyone is, even if you don't have anything more to say about it.
I started reading some first words. I will want to read more later.

And this talk of randomness (and memes) made me pope?
just imagine a world where the pope is randomly selected.

Consider a randomly generated Time.
Consider a randomly generated OTT.

BFTF replay
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

karhell

Re: WORLD B IS THE PLACE WHERE ONGCIRCLES ARE REPLACED WITH CHRONOTRANSPONDERS

Postby karhell » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:15 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:And this talk of randomness (and memes) made me pope?
just imagine a world where the pope is randomly selected.

That would be... interesting. Would the pope be selected amongst the total world population, or just eligible people (catholic priests of some kind. Not sure how high up in the hierarchy they need to be...)
The first case has a lot of potential for shenanigans, and I would personally be amused to no end if the pope ended up being an atheist woman.
The second one puts me in mind of all the bishops/cardinals/whatever sitting in a room and playing bingo. First winner gets the job ^^

Another possibility would be a Dalai Lama-esque arrangement, where the clergy line up all the newborn boys they can find, select one at random and raise him to become the pope, which I find equal parts fascinating and horrifying...

Consider a randomly generated Time.

This would be quite the interesting programming challenge. Kieryn already took a stab at randomly generated sandcastles, but from there to randomly generate a story... That's a pretty huge leap, IMO. Foreshadowing, like a merlon falling off the sandcastle as a sign of the dam breaking, or the beanies explaining about Rosetta, would be pretty damn complex to have, so in all likelihood, the overall story would be much simpler.
On the other hand, randomly generating a landscape, and two characters walking along in it, snapping views every so often, and displaying that once per newpix? That sounds a lot more reasonable, and actually quite feasible.

A fully-random Time would be simple enough to make, just generating a random frame each newpix, but the result would likely be completely incoherent and meaningless, and Time is more than just the frames themselves. Time is a story. So to generate something on Time's scale, you'd need to first generate the skeleton of a story, probably with some key frames along the way, then fill in the blanks with some random content (building if a sandcastle is called for, walking if a change of location is called for...etc).
All in all, I think the characters would seem less natural in their interactions, but some visually interesting things could happen over the course of the story (Time with randomly generated molpies, anyone?)

Consider a randomly generated OTT.

Remember when ED was experimenting with neural networks? :P
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

addams

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:28 pm UTC

May I interrupt this Thread with a Weather Report.
Spoiler:
The Rains have begun.
Gallons and Gallons of Rain are falling out of the sky.
The rivers will swell, like they do every year.

The locals quietly wonder, "Will we flood, again?"
"Will the road repairs from last year hold?"

sigh... Time will tell.
We wait; Time will tell.

As for me, I am warm and cozy.
It is quiet, here.

Each year, in the Forest, Rats moved out of the Forest and into my kitchen.
No Cat was a match for those Rats. They were as large as a Cat and meaner.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:
The second one puts me in mind of all the bishops/cardinals/whatever sitting in a room and playing bingo. First winner gets the job ^^

We don't actually know that isn't how it works, do we?

addams wrote:May I interrupt this Thread with a Weather Report...
As for me, I am warm and cozy.
It is quiet, here.

I'm glad you did, and glad you are.

Here it is fall, and very nice.

And a new IKEA opened here today. I was not among those who started lining up for the opening two days ago.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm UTC

karhell wrote:the skeleton of a story, probably with some key frames along the way, then fill in the blanks with some random content (building if a sandcastle is called for, walking if a change of location is called for...etc).
Somehow, I was reminded of this:
Spoiler:

Yes, I remember ED's languagical netwal neurorks
BFTF replay
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:54 pm UTC

This might count as thwapping if we're generous:
Examine wheelstick

Oops.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

mrob27

1190: "Time": MAYBE SOMEMOLPY ONG'D A PRENEWPIXTED SILENTONG?

Postby mrob27 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:44 am UTC

Hmmm… if MSPA is "MicroSoft Paint Adventures", then perhaps BSTA is "BalthaSar Time Adventures"…

january1may wrote:(BTW, does anyone have any guesses about the meaning of my sig?)

My guess is that you like one or two movies and want it to be vague (or ambiguous) as to what one of them is. I also guess that you won't tell us because you want it to be a (solvable) puzzle or an ("unsolvable") mystery.

balthasar_s wrote:I didn't expect anyone to do anything with it. I did not complain either. […]

Ah, good points. But it sounds like there are problems with my autemome which I wasn't aware of, and which might be undesirable to some people, and might be worth trying to fix.
  The memes are generated server-side. Any random seeds that might be used are outside of my control, the Perl script running on the server (source code here) doesn't set or reset the random seed — that would involve a reference to "srand" which you can see isn't referenced. And since it works for me and is apparently random, the seed theory doesn't fit.
  At this point (having read your descriptions) I think there might be some kind of proxy cacheing the requests that automeme's client-side JavaScript is making to the mrob.com server. If you want to test for that, try these steps:
  • Make a new browser tab and visit this link ( http://mrob.com/time/automome/butan.php?n=7 )
  • Make another browser tab and visit the same link.
  • You should see different text in the two tabs.
  • If you see the same text in both tabs, someone or something is cacheing your HTTP GET requests.
I feel bad that you lost your edits from having restarted the browser. (In the future, don't restart the browser just for automeme, that shouldn't be necessary. You don't even need to use the reload command. When it's working properly, viewing that URL in two different tabs gives two different sets of 7 memes.)

It's also possible you're using a pattern that generates only one or two memes. That is definitely possible. Please give the actual exact text of the pattern you put in and the actual exact text of the one (or two) memes it keeps repeating. (Use cut and paste!)

For decree:
 A randomly generated Time: Kieryn's sandcastle generator. Oops, ninja'd by @karhell, but oh well.
 A randomly generated OTT: Markov-chain text generated by my poetry-writing script (described near the end of that long post, after the t-1 images). I don't think I've posted much random OTT text, but I did post text based on the transcripts of all Othercomics to the Othercomic 1612 thread. And yes, @karhell, I admire @ED's recurrent neural network results, I think they were better.

Oh yeah, BSTA prediction: The characters are going to find (and operate) the controls for the tape player(s) that control their (the characters') movement through their world's timeline.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:32 am UTC

Keybounce wrote:Can someone explain this thread to me?
Uhh... I kinda doubt it. But you can join in anyway, and grokkitude will come if you wait for it. :)

Yes, we started out discussing the comic and things related to it, and it turned out that everything was related. There was a massive puzzle involving what was taking place, where it was happening, and this involved anthropology, astronomy, linguistics, sociology, morphology, cartography, and pretty much every other topic that can be imagined, and a few that can't. At the start the thread was literally (yes, literally) moving faster than one could read. After a while it slowed down and it became possible to catch up, the ur-example being the Great Quest of BlitzGirl, who entered around NP (page) 200 or so, and finally clawed her way to the present when we were at NP 454, to make a Most Glorious Entrance, even being granted audience with the Pope of the Order of the Holy Contradiction.

A community had formed around the comic as we tried to figure out what it was that was going on, and it turned out to be awesome, spurring great bouts of creativity, several religions, artwork, lyrics, music, even motion pictures! Much of this is listed in the wiki, but even that doesn't cover the breadth of creativity that sprung up, and doens't touch the personal relationships that have developed (and continue to develop; new people find the thread even now and are welcomed with open arms).

When the comic ended (NP 1254), there was shock, dumbfoundedness, and a resolve not to let this home end. Besides ice cream, there was an even greater creative outpouring, which led to sequels, prequels, and other stories whose relatedness was... shall we say... "complex". It continues to this day.

Welcome Keybounce, to the most awesomeful community in the entire internet, which as you know is like unto the sea. We hope you stick around and join us. To quote Megan, "We won't eat you." :)

january1may wrote:(BTW, does anyone have any guesses about the meaning of my sig?)
No clue. Must be a movie I missed when I was ti... er... never mind. Nothing to see here.

Pfhorrest wrote:With GnomeAnne gone on adventure I'm not sure if anyone is still reading along anymore. I'd love to hear if anyone is, even if you don't have anything more to say about it.
I am reading, but my pace is not like unto the raptor. It's more like a blitz in honey. But, after all, this is the place to wait for it!

For decree: I'm considering the OTT presented in Beanish. By Rosetta... stoned.

addams wrote:May I interrupt this Thread with a Weather Report.
I"m so glad you're warm and cosy, and free of molpies that don't pay the rent! Out here it has gotten chilly after an unusually warm fall. I had been lulled into a false sense of... well, whatever it is when you don't realize that howling winds, blowing snow, sleet, and freezing rain are just around the corner.

And it's dark too early.

BSTA wrote:
Examine wheelstick
Did she just start the pizza oven? That'd be an awesomeful pizza slicer. Maybe the pizza oven is automatic, and she just stopped the process mid-baking, and the giant pizza will be ejected, and fall on her from the ceiling?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:49 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:First QONG of the week.

With GnomeAnne gone on adventure I'm not sure if anyone is still reading along anymore. I'd love to hear if anyone is, even if you don't have anything more to say about it.

I'm not, yet. I hope to be.

When I popped on earlier, I just saw balthasar's post responding to Keybounce. I see the DrSamCarter also posted a beautiful and perfect response, in a fitting bit of redundancy.

And, january1may! Hi! Its so good to see you. I'm not sure about your sig. Does it have something to do with this?

Oops, there's a whole newpage of posts I hadn't seen. Time for some ketchup!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:27 am UTC

Chapter 59, verses 1-46

[1] The river is small. [2] The sea is big, and does what it wants. [3] But this was not always so.
Spoiler:
[4] For lo, there was a time before time, when the sea was ruled by the sky, and knew no other way. [5] By night and by day did appear a sentinel to watch over the sea, and to draw it to and fro. [6] And the sea came and went according to its commands, for that was the way of the sea, and of the sky. [7] Though by day, the sun made faint this sentinel, was it ever present, and it came and went according to its own cycle. [8] And it vanquished the darkness when it appeared overhead with the stars to beckon the sea to rise, or to fall. [9] More than the sea did it beckon, for there were men and women over the face of the earth, and they looked up in wonder. [10] For they had crossed the river, and also the sea. [11] They were like unto the sea in number, and thought themselves like unto the Baobab, a very big tree. [12] They covered the face of the earth, and looked up, imagining another sea to cross. [13] This would be a sea like unto no other sea, but with mighty engines did they cross this sea of emptiness, and reached what they called the moon, and trod upon it. [14] Their names were Neal and Buzz, and there were others that followed. [15] From this sentinel that kept watch over the sea, plucked they from it part of its very essence. [16] With the mighty engines that brought them there they smote the moon like with a stake in the eye. [17] "I shall not abide this", spake the moon. [18] "I give life to the sea, and the sea gives life to you; you shall respect this and all that it means", continued the sentinel, but nary a one heard. [19] But there was one that did, and upon a bicycle crossed he the sea above, so to speak with the moon. [20] Though he crossed over, never crossed he back. [21] Dix led to dix, and yip to yip, and still crossed he not back, but verily did he establish upon the moon a base, to live, and abide therein incognito. [22] And when established was the base, the moon did cease to visit the earth, and to draw the sea to and fro. [23] And the sea, no longer under the command of the moon, did do as it wished. [24] But without its companion, it did not wish much, and languished. [25] Neither to, nor fro, did the sea move. [26] And the river filled the sea, and the sky emptied the sea. [27] And the sky also filled the sea, as the sky wished. [28] But the sea was without the moon, and withered, as it was without spirit. [29] And it paid attention not to the sky, nor to the river, but only to itself. [30] It was held back, and it allowed itself to be held back, thinking that it wished to be. [31] It was diverted, and allowed itself to be diverted, for it took it as its own will. [32] It was big, and reveled in its own bigness, as if it were divinely ordained that it should be so. [33] But all things must be in balance, including the sea, but it was no longer so. [34] There shall however be a one who shall again cross this sea of sky, and it shall be a Great Quest. [35] And when the crossing is accomplished, shall then the moon return, to draw the sea to and fro. [36] None shall know the time - neither the hour nor the dix - but that it shall occur on Quest. [37] And none shall know the Quest, except when it is accomplished. [38] But verily it shall be that by night cometh the moon as a Great Orb, but by day cometh it as a giant eye to look upon the sea, where was then the sun. [39] Day shall become as unto night, and the sea shall stir anew, being drawn to and fro. [40] And the sea shall rejoice in it, and forget its emptiness. [41] Of Holiness there shall be multitude, and of Joy, it shall be like unto the sea. [42] For none can live and prosper without the other. [43] The sea needeth the river, but it also needeth the sky. [44] But the sky is fickle. [45] The sky does what it wants. [46] But this was also not always so.
Jose

<-- previous (NP 2618) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:58 am UTC

Thank you, Jose.

Sigh...
Smile.

The Thread lives on.
I'll Curl up for a nap.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:28 am UTC

Second QONG of the week.

Thanks balthasar, ucim, and imjb for letting me know I'm not alone out here in cyberspace.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:09 am UTC

ucim wrote:For decree: I'm considering the OTT presented in Beanish. By Rosetta... stoned.

We had way too little of these here lately:

RSIR:
Spoiler:
egypt.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

Eternal Density

"I ACCIDENTALLY KILLED IT" - DEVOPS199

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 am UTC

karhell wrote:Remember when ED was experimenting with neural networks? :P
Funny I was remembering that because I was chatting about the topic elsewhere todip! Also todip I finally got around to signing up for the xkcd game jam.

Tomorrip I have my quarterly checkup with my oncologist, who'll be looking at yesterdip's blood test results and I assume telling me how normal they are.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Keybounce

Postby Keybounce » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:40 pm UTC

So ... there's something like a dozen different active topics within this thread?

Have you considered asking Randall for a whole sub-forum for your community? That way people could actually, I don't know, read up the history of a given topic? Or join in on a subtopic chat?

As much as you don't eat people (which makes you better than animatronic animal suits), how do you feel about people who can't read or know the history (too big, too lost, too spread out) asking questions that are already well known, or otherwise duplicating ideas?
<this space on hold>

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:49 pm UTC

That's one of our favorite things! And there are many Tools of Learning as well. The main one is the WIki of Understanding, linked to in svenman's sig (and maybe others). Mrob27 has created the OMD (OTTsford Molpish Dictionary) if you want to know what a particular OTTish word means. (BTW, OTT is One True Thread, and the inhabitants are, among other things, OTTers). Ucim has created the official OTT ecclesiastical calendar.

Or, you can just ask questions. And we're also fond of duplication, because redundancy is molpish (from molpies, which was a mashup of moles and compies. A molpy is a critter, which is a good thing, so molpish).

Sit down, pull up a chair. As far as I know, we've never eaten anyone, although we have lost some to the basement. :(

Sending molpish thoughts to ED for his appointment tomorrip.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 pm UTC

Keybounce wrote:So ... there's something like a dozen different active topics within this thread?

Have you considered asking Randall for a whole sub-forum for your community? That way people could actually, I don't know, read up the history of a given topic? Or join in on a subtopic chat?

As much as you don't eat people (which makes you better than animatronic animal suits), how do you feel about people who can't read or know the history (too big, too lost, too spread out) asking questions that are already well known, or otherwise duplicating ideas?

The discussion has kind of branched out in many different ways it's true, though these days the thread has slowed considerably and I'd say we're past the point where a subforum would've been most useful. And even so, the general consensus here tends to be that part of the appeal of this thread/community is the way things blend into each other organically and all relate in some way back to the original Time comic, and splitting it into subtopics would detract from that experience somewhat. But, if reading up on the history of a given topic is what you're after, we do have a wiki for that very purpose! As for asking questions that are already well known or duplicating ideas, we're pretty much totally cool with that :) I realise it may seem from an outside perspective that we have very particular "ways", but to be honest we don't really. There's no right or wrong way to take part, nobody's going to mind if you don't get a particular silly in-joke or custom or whatever. A lot of people just dip in and out, taking part as much or as little as they feel like it. Our only rules, for lack of a better term, are (apart from the general forum rules which of course still apply) to just... be excellent to each other. (and party on dudes.)
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

Rosewinsall

Postby Rosewinsall » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:42 pm UTC

So glad to see this is still alive.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:08 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Our only rules, for lack of a better term, are (apart from the general forum rules which of course still apply) to just... be excellent to each other. (and party on dudes.)

And even that seems pretty flexible. I got really annoyed with this thread for constantly being unread a year or two back and came in here and yelled and complained about it, and people replied by helpfully trying to invent ways that would solve that annoyance for me. (They didn't work, but the effort was pleasantly surprising).

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:54 pm UTC

Well, people saw that you were frustrated, and were being excellent by trying to help you out. :) So it still applies. And it had the treeish outcome that you're now around here a lot more often!

And as our esteemed troubadour yappo said, there are many ways to Time.

Hi, Rosewinsall! Nice to see you!

Edited to fix typo that indicated the exact opposite of what I meant. :oops: Thanks for catching that, Jose! It is of course treeish to have Pfhorrest around more often.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:05 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:And it had the treeish outcome that you're not around here a lot more often!
I suspect this is a typo: "you're now around here a lot more often"... which is treeish.

Not that the typo is treeish, but that having Pfhorrest around is treeish. And he's brought the Chronicles with him; another reason to wait for it. :) And yes, it can seem lonely out here sometimes.

ZoomanSP wrote:We had way too little of these here lately:

Underneath the donut in question, is that an early Egyptian cop car... without the car?

Welcome back Rosewinsall! How are things out your way?

yappobiscuits wrote:...(and party on dudes.)
Hopefully dudes that are bigger than you are!

Jose

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm UTC

It's always fun when someone enshrines an embarrassing typo for all of Time. :roll: :)
ucim wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:...(and party on dudes.)
Hopefully dudes that are bigger than you are!

Jose

:azule:

Oh! I forgot to mention that our Neil will have his surgery in a week. Time to send lots of molpish thoughts his way.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:54 am UTC

Last QONG of the week, and this weekend is your last chance to ketchup if you want to wait for it along with the grande finale next week, Virtuality Immanent.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:33 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

mrob27

1190: Time: NOT SURE IF CLICKBAITING OR JUST MOLPISH

Postby mrob27 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 pm UTC

On the topic of neural networks, I finally got around to reading this post in another thread by @Eternal Density, and checked Click-o-Tron for the first time; the top article was A Tour Of The Future Of Hot Dogs In The United States which I declare to be quite @ED relevant.
  Click-o-Tron's political coverage is more accurate than Facebug, and I like their mission goal:
In total, this gives us an infinite source of useless journalism, available at no cost. If I remember correctly from economics class, this should drive the market value of useless journalism down to zero, forcing other producers of useless journalism to produce something else.

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1388

Postby mscha » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

OFFSCOURONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by azule.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:LUCKY HAS GRAPEVINES, IF YOU HAVE ᓭᘖᔭᓄᐨ

-- posted by randompixbot

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:09 am UTC

New AotC! Woo!

New BSTA. Oops.
oops

Something here was clicked.
There is a countdown now.

At 0:00, the missiles will be launched. Thus ends BSTA.

...oh wait, the switch on the right is in the "off" position. Maybe there is still hope.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:18 pm UTC

oh,...So vey like Time.
One random minute plays out Over and Over.

What will happen, next?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 am UTC

New othercomic.

I can see how this would seem embarrassing when dealing with someone who doesn't know how to wait for it.

As everyOTTer knows, of course, in that case it is really them who have reason to be embarrassed.

ETA: And I just saw the OTT is mentioned in passing in the corresponding otherthread.

balthasar_s

SERIOUS PROXY IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE UNREDUNDANT MEMES.

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 am UTC

mrob27 wrote:At this point (having read your descriptions) I think there might be some kind of proxy cacheing the requests that automeme's client-side JavaScript is making to the mrob.com server.
Yes, I think that's what's happening here.
The behavior drscribed by me doesn't happen to me at home, on my computer.
It only happens here, on this computer (not mine) and there is a serious proxy here.

If you want to test for that, try these steps:
this, however, gives different results each time.
but i still think that cacheing is the thing happening here.
Either the proxy or the browser is doing it.

Actually, even without entering any pattern, when clicking cuegan for some time, the resulting memes are looping here.

It's also possible you're using a pattern that generates only one or two memes. That is definitely possible. Please give the actual exact text of the pattern you put in and the actual exact text of the one (or two) memes it keeps repeating. (Use cut and paste!)
I don't remember on which pattern I noticed it first. But that;s not important right now.

Oh yeah, BSTA prediction: The characters are going to find (and operate) the controls for the tape player(s) that control their (the characters') movement through their world's timeline.
That's kind of what already happened, but in a different story:
balthasar_s wrote:Another example was a world computer. A device for simulating a universe. Related: it used a tape interface.
In one comic a world computer was located inside the world it was simulating.
A guy found it and tried to move the tape forward to get in the future.
He accidentally reached the end of world.
Luckily, the auto-reverse mechanism activated and moved the tape back to the original position.
He achieved nothing.

mrob27 wrote:But it sounds like there are problems with my autemome which I wasn't aware of, and which might be undesirable to some people, and might be worth trying to fix.
autemome!
BFTF replay

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: Time

Postby SBN » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:01 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
mrob27 wrote:But it sounds like there are problems with my autemome which I wasn't aware of, and which might be undesirable to some people, and might be worth trying to fix.
autemome!

au·teur (ō-tûr′, ō-tœr′)
n.
A filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/auteur

Clearly, autemome = A page pope, possibly female, who creates relatedness.

Edited to fix subject
Last edited by SBN on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

HES

Re: 1190: "Time": Re: 1190: "Time": Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby HES » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:15 pm UTC

Friendly reminder to append Re: 1190: "Time" to the subject line if you're doing anything fancy with it, as it is now the post subject and not the thread title that shows up in the "latest post" sections elsewhere in the fora. Been causing an amount of confusion.
He/Him/His Image

addams

Postby addams » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:54 pm UTC

Confusion?
well...We can't have That.

I'll wait for the confusion to clear.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ergman

Reeee: 1190: "Time"

Postby ergman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 am UTC

Confusion is so confusing. I wonder why that is? Cool to see new people stumbling on the thread. In 100 years (or 11,00) some internet explorer (no pun intended) will find the thread and marvel at the bizarre dialects and primitive society. They'll get a grant from some internet conservation agency to stay here and study our odd tribal ways, but will slowly get caught up in them, and will eventually be totally Hellenized. We'll be the Roanoke colony of the distant future internet, one of the 7 wonders of the post modern world.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 am UTC

First QONG of the final week of scheduled writing.

mrob27

1190: Time: MEMES FOR THE MOONBASE!

Postby mrob27 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:24 am UTC

Hi @SBN! Mind if I steal your rejected subject line?

Re: SERIOUS PROXY IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE UNREDUNDANT MEMES
by mrob27 at 20171115 08:44:01 UTC = newpix 40829.74

balthasar_s wrote:Actually, even without entering any pattern, when clicking cuegan for some time, the resulting memes are looping here.

With no pattern, I suspect you are getting the same 27 memes over and over. Details in spoiler.
Spoiler:
The initial request made by autemome is http://mrob.com/time/automome/butan.php?filter=&n=27. The "n=27" part is telling the server to generate 27 memes. The JavaScript saves the 27 memes locally, and shows one. After 27 clicks, it has run out of memes so it makes a new server request.
  On each server request, if the results include a match for your pattern, the quantity "n=27" stays the same for the next request. If you give no pattern, everything matches, so there is no need to increase the number, so it issues the exact same URL http://mrob.com/time/automome/butan.php?filter=&n=27 again.
  But if there's something cacheing the request, the JavaScript won't receive 27 new lines of text, it'll just get the same 27 again. It doesn't bother to check if the "server" is somehow giving the exact same text again, because that shouldn't happen.
  Whenever a new request returns memes that have no match for your pattern, it shows the "Sorry, I could not find…" message, and doubles the number to "n=54". This new bigger number gets used when you click Cuegan again. The number can double again to 108, and 216 and so on. The number never goes back down, even if you switch to a less demanding pattern. If the number doubles enough times, it eventually reaches a maximum which is currently 1011. So the server requests are always 27, 54, 108, 216, 432, 864, or 1011. Once those seven numbers get cached, it never bothers to try anything else.
  Seeing this now, I suspect I could make a simple change that randomises the requests. I'll add a field that starts at 1 and increases each time, and another field containing a random number. (But I'm still not setting any random seed, which I can do later if you're still consistently getting repeats.)

I've added new fields to the GET request issued by autemome's JavaScript to the server. I think it will help. Try it now, and reload the page if you don't see "AUTEMOME" (with two :E::E:'s) as the first word in the window title (and also at the start of the descriptive text right below "FILTER:/").

Hmmm… Google Translate tells me that autemome means "Even if they meet" in Japanese.

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: Time: MOONS FOR THE MEMEBASE!

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:I've added new fields to the GET request issued by autemome's JavaScript to the server. I think it will help. Try it now
looks like it helped.

"AUTEMOME" [...] also at the start of the descriptive text right below "FILTER:/"
it says "AUTEMEME"
BFTF replay

SBN
Saved

Re: 1190: Time: MEMES FOR THE MOONBASE!

Postby SBN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote:Hi @SBN! Mind if I steal your rejected subject line?

I don't mind, but it wasn't actually mine to begin with.

Some Ways to Time

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”