1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??
Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.
The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00

And how about that Javascript on the OTC, how come nobody mentioned that yet? Image

(The forum software always shows the time zone as UTC, also when you have manually configured the time zone here. Best thing to do is to change the date format to one that doesn't show the tome zone label. I use the following custom format: “D j M Y G:i:s”. Or you can just install the user script that changes these heretical time stamps to newpix...)

A newpix ago:
mscha wrote:
Spoiler:
AAANDTHEYVEGONGOFFSCREEN

Time for a change of scene, methinks.

Or not.
Last edited by mscha on Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
Kieryn wrote:What's with the times on this forum? They are all listed UTC... Last time I checked, the 1st post was March 25th at 4.09 am UTC, which kind of made sense.
Now it's displaying as 11.09 pm on the 24th.??
Edit: At time of posting this post is currently displayed (to me) as Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am UTC.
The actual time is Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am UTC-05:00

And how about that Javascript on the OTC, how come nobody mentioned that yet? Image

(The forum software always shows the time zone as UTC, also when you have manually configured the time zone here. Best thing to do is to change the date format to one that doesn't show the tome zone label. I use the following custom format: “D j M Y G:i:s”. Or you can just install the user script that changes these heretical time stamps to newpix...)

I think next time I parse the forum I will have to figure out the time correction amount based on the first post and apply to all parsed dates. Oughtadoit.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

mekily

Postby mekily » Tue May 07, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

The recent dialogue has me wondering whether this is all a global warming metaphor.

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

mekily wrote:The recent dialogue has me wondering whether this is all a global warming metaphor.

but the castles are made of snow!

:roll: :lol:
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

I have a contribution for the Soundtrack of Time. Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?, by Chicago. The song is awesome.

Though, huh, it probably has the most I've Seen Your New Haircut lyrics on the entire thread, so here comes, fixed lyrics or something.

Chicago - Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Spoiler:
As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what
The time was that was on my watch, yeah...And I said

(I do!) Does anybody really know what time it is
(Care) Does anybody really care (about time)
If so I can see why! (Oh yes, yes)
We've all got time enough to wait

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me
And said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead...And I said

If so I can see why! (Oh yes, yes)
We've all got time enough to wait

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to
Beat the clock, oh, no I just don't know
I don't know, and I said, yes I said

(Background:)
People runnin' everywhere
Don't know where to go
Don't know where I am
Can't see past the next step
Don't have time to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

If so I can see why (Oh yes, yes)
We've all got to wait for it
Everybody's blitzing (I do!) I do care (About time)
About time (Oh yes, yes) I do care!

Done blitzing.

NewPage 438/557 - 119 pages behind. Apr 28, 2013 11:11 pm - 8 days, 14 hours, 48 minutes of ketchup left (to be caught in 5 days.)

Time continues to fade away, and I have to admit, it isn't the same. Can't wait for CueBall and Megan to return. I can't believe to say this, but I miss the times when the OTC was nothing but Cueball crenelating and crenelating...

Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Yes, congratulations, Vytron! And just so you know -- Paradoxes can be cured, but, of course, it does take two doctors to do it...

Thanks StratPlayer! I'm... huh... used to the paradoxes, do I really need to be cured of them? Well, then bring in the Paradocs!

"A Paradox May Be Paradoctored." - Robert A. Heinlein
~jjjdavidson

"...by a pair of docs."
(with apologies to one of my most favorite authors)
~StratPlayer

Spoiler:
solobutterfly wrote:Comics like this make me feel like I'm living a part of history. It's been updating for over a month. If people aren't studying and discussing and loving the brilliance and heart of xkcd 50 years from, then I will be sorely disappointed with humanity and art appreciation.

I fully agree with this! It also makes me afraid that 50 years from now, I'll be the only person following it... Nahhh.

Then solobutterfly is severely bashed by religious people, because there's no other comics like this. There's no other comics period.

But I understand solobutterfly's sentiment and agree with it, we're now all part of history!

Comic reaches color #252525. Looks about 50% dark to me, though, painting it 50% grey side by side, it does look a bit darker.

Goggalor says he's been relaxed and calmed by the new pace of the comic. I, for one, can't wait for the fading to end - Okay, I can and I will, but you know what I mean.

RobIrr's image gets 2000 more views since I bumped it.

Spoiler:
ChronosDragon wrote:Some predict that at the end of Time, all loyal TimeWaiters will be gathered together in eternal rejoicing and Waiting, and all who ever Waited shall be reunited as one people on the New Forum.

Yay! But wait, by then, we'd have had already waited for it, for what would we then be waiting for?

#2E2E2E reached - Looks way too bright, something must be wrong. And there is! MSPaint informs me what I'm perceiving is #767676. *Kicks Firefox* STOP THAT!

Latent22 posts new graph that predicts the ending of the fading. Will it end at frame 960? Or at frame 963 like cmyk said? None of them?

Then, I find in horror that tman2nd and lmjb1964 have been lost in the past! Oh no! I'm catching up so that we can spend some time together! The present will not be the same if I ketchup and you're not there. Good luck with blitzing, and Randallspeed!

Spoiler:
cmyk wrote:When the dissolve is complete, the scene will fade back as M&C will return to their sand castles much eroded or something of the sort.

Oh, I like this theory. I've been annoyed that Randall's pace is so slow, and nothing's happening, but if he had drawn all the comics of the erosion of the castles, and then at some point decided that he'd just speed it up by fading to white, then that's fine with me! I'll not be stuck for months seeing how they erode!

GerardE posts really interesting questions regarding time, and what if it stops for a long time without our knowledge, only to continue a lot later without us noticing. I actually agree, and think this is a possibility if we're inside a simulation, it doesn't need to be done in real time. It reminds me of Rocks. He also posts REALLY interesting link in some plato.stanford.edu page. Must... Resist... Clicking. Can't. Must... Resist... Reading. Must... Continue... Blitzing... Well! That was close...

Tatiana posts suggestions for things to do with our lives now that the OTC is fading away. Thanks, added to Bookmarks. I guess while it fades to white I'll continue to ketchup.

higgs-boson posts farewell. Oh no! Please wait with us! I can't resist and spoil myself checking higgs-boson's posts. Phew! Xey'll be back!

I pass a confusing SignPost by DrSamCarter, which may be his first post on the thread, or the third. Here he edits-sends message from 5 pages from the future, spoiling that BlitzGirl will be back, but eh, I know BlitzGirl will had ketchup, so she had to be back eventually.

RobIrr rebumps his image. I like numbers that keep raising, to I'll start reporting xkcd.irrelevant's progress when I see it: Right now 8307 Visitors.

Spaceman Spiff reports he has read every NewPage. Yay! You probably saw the 3 posts that I missed! Also:

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Also, go BlitzGirl! And go Vytron! We believe in you!

Thanks! I also believe in all the TimeTravelerFollowers!

azule posts Firefox fix so I no longer see the pixels of the comic much brighter than supposed to. Many thanks!

I read Valarya's sigcouragement: Thanks!

Then, BlitzGirl appears in the comic again! Maybe she hasn't been posting on the thread because she was finding her way to the comic! tman2nd called it! Also, maybe this is what DrSamCarter was referring to, ah!

Rule110 posts and entire summary of the One True Comic and The One True Thread, full of commentary of his own of the events. It's a must read, even for True Blitzers that can't wait to rejoin the present. I'm reproducing it in full length for those that may have missed it:

Spoiler:

Also, another Synchronicity, descor makes xeir post #100 as I see xey just passed #200 in the present!

Spoiler:

Progress through the Credits: Place 155 2 Posts Ago.

Progress to the Big Bang: 396,000 years ago (43,000 years of progress). Homo heidelbergensis (ancestor of Neanderthals and Homo sapiens), burying dead, controlled fire

Treking starts.

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■) <Wait for it.)
Last edited by Vytron on Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Tue May 07, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

mekily wrote:The recent dialogue has me wondering whether this is all a global warming metaphor.

Relax, you're two-tents...

(Yay, finally done with the post-weekend catsup, hopefully I can stay current for the rest of the week at least. Also, is now a good time to formally request a hat from the Grand Haberdasher? I offer in return eternal loyalty and devotion, at least when I'm not busy :-) )
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
mathrec wrote:I would be honored to be a Knight Temporal, and doubly honored to be knighted by BlitzGirl.

Sure, we could use more Knights around here!

I, BlitzGirl, Knight Temporal of the One True Comic, bestow upon thee, mathrec, the Knighthood Temporal, in recognition of keen Time-related Sudoku-craft, brilliant parody of Bohemian Rhapsody, and the bravery to boom de yada while strapped to a centrifuge. Arise, and continue Waiting for it!

*arises and modifies sig*
*waits*
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue May 07, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:
ggh wrote:That's what I've thought, since there's just black and white, there's no way of showing night. I think when you see them doing nighty things, it's night. The loop tease looked like camping for the night to me, and when Cueball buried their trash, that looked like breaking camp in the morning. (I imagine the "It's pretty neat, though" was said looking over the river at sunset.)

The day/night comment reminds me. . .we've seen Cueball sleep, although Megan didn't let him sleep for very long, at least as measured in newpix. Have we actually seen anybody *eat* anything? We've seen them drink from their containers, and attempt to drink from the river, but we haven't seen anything that looks like solid food consumption.

Maybe their containers are filled with a high-calorie substance or space food or something. :D

I think they're eating a lot of the time they're sitting down during this walk portion, it's just harder to see. In the second frame of the loop tease for example, they've both got their hands to their mouths. On the beach, I think they left to eat - makes sense: sand is an untasty but insistent beach condiment.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

jetpac

Postby jetpac » Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

hmm, I appear to be 32 NP behind...

Guess I won't be getting any work done today :)

patzer

Postby patzer » Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

jetpac wrote:hmm, I appear to be 32 NP behind...

is this Newpages, or Newpix?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
I think they're eating a lot of the time they're sitting down during this walk portion, it's just harder to see. In the second frame of the loop tease for example, they've both got their hands to their mouths. On the beach, I think they left to eat - makes sense: sand is an untasty but insistent beach condiment.

But as we all know, you never go hungry at the beach, because... you can eat all the sandwiches there!
//ducks and runs while shouting "try the veal"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

patzer wrote:
jetpac wrote:hmm, I appear to be 32 NP behind...

is this Newpages, or Newpix?

Probably Newpages, because they're a better measure of how much ketchup you need.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

Perhaps using NP for new pages and np for new pix would help to dispel any ambiguity? This also has the advantage that for newcomer to the thread, the total number of pages (P) is equal to the total number of new pages (NP). Proof that P=NP?
Last edited by Red Hal on Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

fatness

Postby fatness » Tue May 07, 2013 2:59 pm UTC

ggh wrote:That's what I've thought, since there's just black and white, there's no way of showing night.

well...

http://xkcd.com/847/

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Ketchup comments from the last two pages:

VoronX wrote:(Greetings from NP548!)
Dracomax wrote:
VoronX wrote:I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. <snip>

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

Steaks, not cooked to order??? *shudders* What a Cruel and Rare punishment! Don't know how civilized, though...Well done, Lord High Inquisitor!!!

Yes, we punish heretics by burning the steak at them.

ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:Yes, but it's an Outside unit, making it heretical.
It is an xkcd unit. If it is outside the OTT, but within xkcd, is it still heretical?

Yes. The Other Comic is not the One True Comic.
The end is always near.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

ggh wrote:I think they're eating a lot of the time they're sitting down during this walk portion, it's just harder to see. In the second frame of the loop tease for example, they've both got their hands to their mouths. On the beach, I think they left to eat - makes sense: sand is an untasty but insistent beach condiment.

Unlike mustard.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

123Adz321

Postby 123Adz321 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

And it goes ONG and ONG and ONG

Dear Time travellers, I bring a gift from the future: A userscript for Chrome (Tampermonkey) or Firefox (Greasemonkey)
This will convert outside time to the One True Time of Newpix
- Courtesy of Pikrass
Spoiler:

Ebonite

Postby Ebonite » Tue May 07, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

ggh wrote:

Actually, you're right: the meatballs at Ikea are pretty good. They probably snacked while going to get poles and ropes. :)
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Ebonite wrote:Actually, you're right: the meatballs at Ikea are pretty good.

And horsey. :?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Tue May 07, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

Valarya wrote:
azule wrote:<snip>
Bytes wrote:Hello all, it's been a long time.
.... are hats still in fashion, or have we moved onto feather boas? If we have I'm screwed on account of having no neck...

Of course hats are still in fashion! Our illustrious Buffygirl made you one several newpages ago.. so go fetch it!

<snip>

I tried a search but all I turned up was one 30 newpages ago when she had edited them about because 'she didn't like them and she was starting from scratch'. I can't find any since then...
Also not on the wiki list of hats.
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

Post-coma-and-outside-stuff tomato-based condiment...
Spoiler:
ucim wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:11. BlitzGirl's referenced here directly or by footnote at least three times; it's embarrassingly obvious I've developed a crush on her.
Who hasn't? :)

Obviously. She's A: A girl, and B: Geeky enough to not only follow the OTC but read the entire OTT and begin a trend of following her example, AND make an amazing comic based on the thread. Of course all us nerdy guys will be crushing on her ;)

StratPlayer wrote:OK, back from the outside and excuse the blindpost, but Ineed to get current with the latest Time events. However, the very first thing I wanted to do was listen to this, since I couldn't download it from work:

yappobiscuits wrote:Alrighty then! Here's what I've cooked up... Instrumental version, and a version with my not-so-great singing for demonstrative purposes. I whapped out my ukulele for this one! Fun.

That is really very, very good yappo!!! I love the instrumentation and your signing is actually wonderful for the song -- understated, very on tempo, perfect inflections. I play guitar fairly decent I think, but I can't sing my way out of a wet paper bag -- compared to me, Bob Dylan, Joe Walsh, and Neil Young sound like the Three Tenors. But you have a great voice! I'd say this was a fabulous job!

Now to ketchup....

jjjdavidson wrote:Yappo, I somehow kept skipping over your recording. I finally listened to it, and it's charming! I hope you take it as a compliment when I say it's reminiscent of an old Herman's Hermits track. Different accent, of course, but the same optimistic, happy-with-life feeling that made them so likable.

Your voice is just fine. I'm no professional, but I've spent a lot of years listening to people sing around campfires late at night, and I can tell you: You'd've been a hit at any bardic circle I've ever been in. Nice work with the "Bboz dr yndn," indeed. (As for people who wondered if you twerked that electronimagically, they need to listen to some Bobby McFerrin. It's amazing what trìcks the human voice can perform.)

Thanks to you both! Yeah it was actually really interesting for me to do something so twee and understated with so few instruments - even though I consider myself a bit of a musical chameleon, my usual style is anything but that :P

Valarya wrote:AluisioASG... maaaan. I know you warned me, but I figured it was just a normal wall of text replies. That annoying giant wall of "boom de yada's" took 22 page-downs (though why I even went to the bottom of it is beyond me. Call me a completionist.) and then 22 page-ups to hide the spoiler. Not. Cool. :?

I feel partly responsible since he did that because of me so I apologise to everyone for that :P

ChronosDragon wrote:
fatness wrote:BELONG

Weeeeee beelong, we belong we belong we belong togetheeeeeer

That's what popped into my head anyway. I haven't even heard that song in a long time, and a quick google search reveals it's 13 years older than me.

It caused a song to pop into my head too, but this one

KarMann wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:And here's our weekly reminder: What If... (#44): High Throw

i just came in to get a glass of water let me down
Well, at least now we know why Cueball was worrying about "our rope [not being] strong enough" in his sleep.

Edit: Added alt-text because XonqNopp's got a point. But I wonder how full that glass is.

I call this proof that Time truly IS the One True Comic. All other comics, what-ifs etc are merely dreams of the characters in the OTC. It is known.

Anyway, some really interesting developments in the OTC! I'm also thinking post-apocalypse, especially with the "tents" reference. Maybe everyone lives in tents after whatever apocalypse happened... and Megan says "not a lot of us", as if she's referring to ANY people as "us"... as if there are only a few survivors... and the fact they seem to know so little about the world certainly suggests post-apocalyptic society.
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue May 07, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:
mscha wrote:Yes, but [the giraffe is] an Outside unit, making it heretical.
It is an xkcd unit. If it is outside the OTT, but within xkcd, is it still heretical?
But it is written by the One True Author. That would make the OTA a heretic himself. Somehow, that can't be right.

As to tents, I took it as that's just the way they live in that world. It hadn't occurred to me that this might be a camping trip. Their interaction is too matter-of-fact for this to be a special event.

Post apocalypse? Maybe.

Now if they don't own their tents, are they tent tenants? And if there are eight more of them are they...

(ouch!)
ok, I'll go away now!
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

descor

Postby descor » Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

VEGETATION-ONG
Who called it?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mathrec

Postby mathrec » Tue May 07, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

descor wrote:VEGETATION-ONG
Spoiler:

Who called it?

Gee Willikers! Out of the wasteland?
The end is always near.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
Spoiler:

Who called it?

Gee Willikers! Out of the wasteland?

So I am guessing they have been down in the flood plains of the river (and on a beach), hence no vegetation until now.
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:
But it is written by the One True Author. That would make the OTA a heretic himself. Somehow, that can't be right.

It's only heresy to use Outside units within the universe of the OT[CTW]. So it's fine for our Lord Randall to use giraffes, meters, or even feet as units, as long as He doesn't do it in the OTT (where He doesn't post) or in the OTC (or in fact, if He uses them there, it would make them non-heretic).

Makes sense? No? Good. ;)
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 07, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:

As to tents, I took it as that's just the way they live in that world. It hadn't occurred to me that this might be a camping trip. Their interaction is too matter-of-fact for this to be a special event.

Post apocalypse? Maybe.

Now if they don't own their tents, are they tent tenants? And if there are eight more of them are they...

(ouch!)
ok, I'll go away now!
Jose

well, the Randall doesn't just create the OTC for beleivers, otherwise the OTT would be the only way to view it.

Therefore, since The other comic and The OTC are put out to educate everyone and show them the way to the true faith, The Randall has introduced units of measurement that Outsiders can understand. Think of them as parables.

Once The outsider has been enlightened, and no longer suffers from the scourge of Outside, then they must, of course, learn the correct ways of measuring things.
This is why the OTC mentioned the heretical unit of time "days"
Last edited by Dracomax on Tue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“have i gone mad?

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
ucim wrote:
mathrec wrote:
ucim wrote:

It's only heresy to use Outside units within the universe of the OT[CTW]. So it's fine for our Lord Randall to use giraffes, meters, or even feet as units, as long as He doesn't do it in the OTT (where He doesn't post) or in the OTC (or in fact, if He uses them there, it would make them non-heretic).

Makes sense? No? Good. ;)

Actually it does make sense, in a weird, knotted up baby kind of way...
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)

mscha

Postby mscha » Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:This is why the OTC mentioned the heretical unit of time "days"

No no no, you'd think a Grand High Lord Inquisitor would have a better grasp on the concept of heresy. :)
The “days” in the OTC, 5 newpix ago, are obviously Inside days. (It's been much more than just “days” in Outside units.) So that's perfectly OK.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

k.bookbinder

Postby k.bookbinder » Tue May 07, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

The Creator of Time has brought us to the land of small weeds! Hail the Creator of Time! I must continue to wait for it...

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
"HAL9000" This thread is a goldmine for signatures.
"StratPlayer" All in all, that sand paper rubbed me the wrong way.
"charlie_grumbles" The secret of the geeks. "Copy, Borrow, Steal, Succeed"
"ucim" There's a forestful of treeish people here.

Image Welcome! Confused? See here.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

k.bookbinder wrote:The Creator of Time has brought us to the land of small weeds! Hail the Creator of Time! I must continue to wait for it...

Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...
Wait for it...

Don't forget:

Spoiler:
Wait for it...

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm UTC

And I'm back, waitin' away once again...

Ketchup summary:

Spoiler:
Saw stuff -- liked it all...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

I hope not; that would be ... trite, I think. Anyhow, the water is rising a bit fast for that to make sense in a sciencey webcomic. I really thought they just had no experience with the tide coming in, until recent newpix.

mathrec wrote:Ketchup comments from the last two pages:
VoronX wrote:(Greetings from NP548!)
Dracomax wrote:
VoronX wrote:I still think that's a matter for the Inquisition, chocolate, liquorice, and stakes. <snip>

Wait, wait... The inquisition doesn't use stakes. Stakes aren't funny--that would be uncivilized. We use Steaks. but we don't cook them to order. What have you people been up to while I've been gone?

Steaks, not cooked to order??? *shudders* What a Cruel and Rare punishment! Don't know how civilized, though...Well done, Lord High Inquisitor!!!

Yes, we punish heretics by burning the steak at them.

Genuinely laughed out loud at that. Pure awesome.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

Dracomax

Postby Dracomax » Tue May 07, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

No no no, you'd think a Grand High Lord Inquisitor would have a better grasp on the concept of heresy. :)
The “days” in the OTC, 5 newpix ago, are obviously Inside days. (It's been much more than just “days” in Outside units.) So that's perfectly OK.

I actually got that, but again, I was making the point that Outsiders would not. Outsiders, and new initiates to the OTC/OTT can't be expected to understand the difference without instruction, and should treat the term "day" as a parable intended for those who are not initiates. Those who have studied the OTT and it's gospels will, of course, understand more fully the difference.
edit: I passed 200 at some point. wonder when that happened.
“have i gone mad?

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Tue May 07, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

ucim wrote:As to tents, I took it as that's just the way they live in that world. It hadn't occurred to me that this might be a camping trip. Their interaction is too matter-of-fact for this to be a special event.

Post apocalypse? Maybe.

I don't think either post-apocalypse or camping, at least for Cuegan6. On discovering the second river5, they said, "it is not much farther from home than ours at its driest."3

Home, to me, means something more substantial than a tent. There are tents in this world, but they may be occupied2 by someone other than Cuegan.

Home1 is also a reasonable possibility for where they were getting all the supplies.

6 La Petite is a different matter
5 I think it was the second river4
4 small
3 I'd cite which newpix, but I'm not certain. In the OTT it was cited as 1093, but I'm not sure whether that was before or after the apocryphal frames were added.
2 or not
1 whether or not it is a cardboard box behind an Ikea
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Who called it?

I believe that was me.
ETA: Indeed it was.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

Montov

Postby Montov » Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

What an amazing reference to the What-if, by having Cueball dreaming about his rope-adventure there. _O_

And I love the new info on tents and plants apparently. There is no debris like they expected, and the water tastes awful, but upstream there is vegetation. Maybe the fresh water is being stopped by a dam, and poison is released there to kill most of the vegetation.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Tue May 07, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>

Thanks to you both! Yeah it was actually really interesting for me to do something so twee and understated with so few instruments - even though I consider myself a bit of a musical chameleon, my usual style is anything but that :P

Very Cool! Is that something you put together? Makes me think of Dream Theater, or more like Symphony X, but I'm not really that current with all the newer symphonic/prog metal bands...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
mscha wrote:

Spoiler:
I actually got that, but again, I was making the point that Outsiders would not. Outsiders, and new initiates to the OTC/OTT can't be expected to understand the difference without instruction, and should treat the term "day" as a parable intended for those who are not initiates. Those who have studied the OTT and it's gospels will, of course, understand more fully the difference.

edit: I passed 200 at some point. wonder when that happened.

I would say about 13 posts ago :p

Valarya

Postby Valarya » Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>

Talent! And if you did THIS, why didn't you make the XKCD version?! :!: :!: :!: I'm enjoying listening to your soundcloud profile so much I'm giving you another cupcake:

Bytes wrote:
Spoiler:
Valarya wrote:<snip>
Bytes wrote:Hello all, it's been a long time.
.... are hats still in fashion, or have we moved onto feather boas? If we have I'm screwed on account of having no neck...

Of course hats are still in fashion! Our illustrious Buffygirl made you one several newpages ago.. so go fetch it!

<snip>

I tried a search but all I turned up was one 30 newpages ago when she had edited them about because 'she didn't like them and she was starting from scratch'. I can't find any since then...
Also not on the wiki list of hats.

Ahh, didn't realized she'd retroactively edited that post. Apologies.. move along.
Caridnal of Cupcakes | Friaress of Frosting | Pope of Pocket Pastries
Occasional basement dweller.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”