1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ggh

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ggh » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

Ooh, that's a purdy one too! And now it's late summer :)
(oh, just totally ninja'd by azule)

Hi azule!
I'm not sure exactly what you mean.... I think there was some sort of Rosetta's map/real Med overlay done at the time, but no one has successfully gotten the Beanie triangulation map to line up with anything as far as I know. I'd bet that it's possible.

<pouring cereal break>

People wondered what that point was in the sea, but I can't say it's obvious to me which of those lines represent what enough to say that one of them is the shore. I wonder if that point is an elevated one... a peak? the top of the fortress? And what do we know about the towers? Cuegan don't see one until the one they climb, but do the Beanie's dismantle them as they go?

I, um, just painted out the triangulation lines - nothing cool I'm afraid. And I'm not sure I did it right - it's hard to tell what line belongs to what.... BlitzGirl did a cool coloured version back at the Time... I should try to find that one for you too....

PS: I made those Beanie maps with embedded alphas to make it easier for anyone who wants to try lining it up over the last combined Med map in photoshop or gimp or whatever.

Oh, hey, pope! Well this decree is a no brainer then:

Either:
Try to line up the Beanie map with some geography.
or
Speculate on what that circle is.
or
Speculate on what that long vertical line is.
or
Tell us what you usually say when when you show someone a map.

ETA: found it! Here's BlitzGirl's version!
Image Image
I think I like hers better than mine.

Also, spoiler-bumping some of my maps to this NP:
Spoiler:
(If you want to download this map, and it doesn't look seaish, try getting it directly from the attachment on the last NP)
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Revolution Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 pm UTC

Azule, you made the 100200th post!
echo chamber.me works fine, because it doesn't have xkcd in the url. I think it's being censored.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: Wheel on stick.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:48 am UTC

SBN wrote:
balthasar_s wrote:Also, I'm going Outside for the next few days.

Me too. Going where the internet doesn't go.

And I'm back, and caught up. (Lots of good stuff there, but I am still too sleep-deprived to comment sufficiently.)

Also, it looks like we'll be opening doors for wolpies in a new place soon. Assuming I can make it through all the paperwork that was waiting for me when I got back to the internet. I guess it isn't technically paperwork anymore, but I don't know what we call it now that it is all online.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 am UTC

I just read something fascinating.

"Everyone has a religion. Not everyone has a god."

For some reason this resonates strongly with me.

I'm not providing further context, as I feel that the context is better off being the one you create for yourself.

What are your thoughts?
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:53 am UTC

Hmm, I think that's one of those quotes that makes the listener do all the work - it asks you to define both religion and god in such a way that the quote makes sense. So, for me, the interesting bit would be your interpretation of it, not the original quote. After you've gotten a bunch of responses (or maybe in a spoiler) I hope you'll share what it means to you. I'm drawing a blank for a meaning for myself right now.

SBN wrote:Also, it looks like we'll be opening doors for wolpies in a new place soon. Assuming I can make it through all the paperwork that was waiting for me when I got back to the internet. I guess it isn't technically paperwork anymore, but I don't know what we call it now that it is all online.
Yay! And congratulations! Is it the place with the pool?

Paperwork is a pain in the molpy.
Yesterday, complaining to my sister, I wrote:yup, fine, except I didn't notice my ch*rping passports expire in the next month.
She didn't question it.

For decree: When I'm showing someone a map that they likely wouldn't be familiar with , I'm usually pointing and saying:
We're here, and we're going over here.
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:04 am UTC

ggh wrote:Hmm, I think that's one of those quotes that makes the listener do all the work - it asks you to define both religion and god in such a way that the quote makes sense. So, for me, the interesting bit would be your interpretation of it, not the original quote. After you've gotten a bunch of responses (or maybe in a spoiler) I hope you'll share what it means to you.

Indeed I will. And yes, it does make the listener do all the work when I've removed the surrounding context like I did, but I feel that there's value in doing that when shifting it to an entirely new audience in order to gauge reactions. :)
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:37 am UTC

ggh wrote:
SBN wrote:Also, it looks like we'll be opening doors for wolpies in a new place soon. Assuming I can make it through all the paperwork that was waiting for me when I got back to the internet. I guess it isn't technically paperwork anymore, but I don't know what we call it now that it is all online.
Yay! And congratulations! Is it the place with the pool?

Paperwork is a pain in the molpy.
Yesterday, complaining to my sister, I wrote:yup, fine, except I didn't notice my ch*rping passports expire in the next month.
She didn't question it.

It's not the original place with the pool. That's ok, we seem to like this one better. And, just like when I was looking for a WFFS, this WDOP (Wolpy Door Opening Place) everything just seemed to line up like it was meant to be.

Recently I was pointing at a map, showing people the restaurant that is claiming to be in a place it clearly isn't. No idea where it really is, but someone gave it a 5 star review. Since the place it shows on the map is a good 30 miles from everywhere, I hope no one goes looking for it.

I use m*stard more than ch*rping, but I've used both.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

thunk

1190: "Time": RETRONINJASPOILER _ALL_ THE SEAISHNESS

Postby thunk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:54 am UTC

ggh wrote:Tell us what you usually say when when you show someone a map.

Look. Here is where we are right now. There is where we are going. We are going to take this route, this highway, and then that route to get there. Verstehen?

Or alternatively, "this is a really interesting map, as you can see by the <explanatory comment> and <description of features and/or meaning>."
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Defining Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:30 am UTC

Gingercat wrote:I just read something fascinating.

"Everyone has a religion. Not everyone has a god."

For some reason this resonates strongly with me.

I'm not providing further context, as I feel that the context is better off being the one you create for yourself.

What are your thoughts?
For a wide definition of religion and a narrow definition of god, I'd agree. For a narrow definition of religion and a wide definition of god, I'd say the reverse. Thus the statement and people's level of agreement with either part of it says more about people's definitions than it does about religions and gods, I think.

Except...
There's a fundamental assumption in the statement that religions and gods are things that people have. But perhaps it's the other way around. Maybe religions and gods have people!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:57 am UTC

azule wrote:Some great colpix this NP. For example, lovely colpix, ucim. Who knows if I noticed or said that when you first made it.
Thanks - I've also been loving the colpix, but not just this NP - there have been awesomeful ones on pretty much every page. Some I remember from the past, some I don't. But that's me - I have CRS. My own colpix were made for the ecclesiastical calendar and so came out all at once, behind a jigsaw puzzle that was mostly blue sky.

SBN wrote: I guess it isn't technically paperwork anymore, but I don't know what we call it now that it is all online.
Bit baloney?

quoting from something fascinating, Gingercat wrote:"Everyone has a religion. Not everyone has a god."
To me this says that everyone has a blind part of their brain, where they believe stuff that doesn't make sense but they believe it anyway without question*. But in some cases this does not involve the belief in supreme sky-people.

* Without effective questioning. Ultimately assuming the consequent does not count.

This is clearly true of everyone else, but of course all my beliefs are perfectly rational, correct, and well thought out. :) Alas, the universe does not agree with me; its laughter is called Quantum Mechanics.

Eternal Density wrote:Maybe religions and gods have people!
In Soviet Russia, religion has you!

For decree: "Look at all the lines, and labels, and symbols, and... things!"

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 am UTC

I must be crazy. I have neither a religion nor a god.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Undefining Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:36 am UTC

slinches wrote:I must be crazy. I have neither a religion nor a god.
Perhaps that's your religion and you're its god.
Isn't it fun to play with definitions?

For decree: usually I'm the one being shown the map by someone else.

thunk

1190: "Time": ROSETTA... IN SPACE!

Postby thunk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:16 am UTC

Yes, Automome, there is a spacecraft by that name.

Gingercat:
Here on the OTT, we're all religious, believing, as Time Waiters, in the Sandcastles, the Sea, and the Cuegan.
But GLR, exalted as he may be, is no god--he is merely a particularly revered human.

Thus your quote makes sense (but otherwise I'm with slinches)
troo dat

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 am UTC

A religion is a set of beliefs, which might well be that you believe there is no god. Therefore religion does not require a god. Like how all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs. ;)

ED, arbitrary number win. Thanks for pointing it out!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:58 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Speculate on what that circle is.

The circle is a crater.
Gingercat wrote:"Everyone has a religion. Not everyone has a god."

Spoiler:
I think that within this quote religion is the set of rules that you believe you should follow. A god is, well, an all powerfull being that has created the universe and everything. Not all sets of rules have been prescribed by a god. My set of rules surely hasn't.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Link

1190: "Time": A TARDIS IS BUFFYHATTED. A DIP? NOT SO MUCH.

Postby Link » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:31 pm UTC

First post from my brand-spanking-new lapleopard. I'm on a railcastle! And I can OTT normally! This is so prickly, you xuys!

Re. the religion quote: unless you really want to stretch the definition of "religion", I'd have to disagree. Sure, at any given moment, I have a set of beliefs, but this set is extremely malleable and ever-changing. Every belief I hold essentially comes with an extra qualifier like "probably", "evidence suggests that", "I feel that", etcetera. I try very hard to avoid getting trapped in dogma and presupposition. I guess you could suppose that that's just religion on a sort of meta-level, but the thing is that I'm also not religiously affixing myself to that. It's entirely possible that my views about dogma and presupposition change in Time. Πάντα ῥεῖ.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:45 pm UTC

blindpost to say the notify on quote feature is awesome!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:01 pm UTC

*draws a pentagram in I can't believe it's not goat blood.
*Holds a lighter to the wick like part on some candle shaped objects
*Places them on the points. The room gets significantly darker.
*Chants an incantation in words that can't be understood, but make your skin feel like a million tiny insects crawling around
bachaddict wrote:Who dares summon me?

Blitzgirl wrote:Who dares summon me?

flicky1991 wrote:Who dares summon me?

TheMinim wrote:Who dares summon me?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2819

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:10 pm UTC

ALLUNGES...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:SCREAMING MINI-TWO-TONE: CUEBALL DOESN'T LIKE IT

-- posted by oldpixbot

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Fine, you got me in here, but I dare you to keep me in here. :P
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

Hi flicky. If you want to hang around, we could make up an OTT specific game. Something to do with posting OTTifications, maybe?

thunk

1190: "Time": MAKE HILLISHNESS, NOT OUTSANITY

Postby thunk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Hey there.
The River is Small!
troo dat

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:37 pm UTC

...Am I going to have to blitz to understand everything?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

To understand everything ... probably. But you can understand most things by looking at the wiki or just skimming some sections at random.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:38 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

LOL. Grab the comfy chair!

he/him/his

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:40 pm UTC

:o Not the comfy chair!

Apologies for the Forum Games invasion, OTTers.
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

Don't worry. It's not off-topic.

he/him/his

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:43 pm UTC

This thread's topic is "Time". Everything takes place at a time. Therefore everything is on-topic?
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:44 pm UTC

See? You're getting it!

he/him/his

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Revisited - np2826

Postby mscha » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:10 pm UTC

LICKUNGVILLE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Earthling on Mars.)

Replay Time live here!

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MAYBE OLDPIXBOT HAS CANCER! MAYBE SEMENCOFFEEREDUNDACANCERSTARSANDBACONBABIESONICE IS A METAPHOR FOR TURTLEMOLPIES!

-- posted by oldpixbot

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:31 pm UTC

thunk wrote:But GLR, exalted as he may be, is no god--he is merely a particularly revered human.
Oh ch*rp - I don't think we have enough chocolate for that one! Bring out..... the soft pillows!

flicky1991 wrote:Fine, you got me in here, but I dare you to keep me in here. :P
I dare you to stay!

flicky1991 wrote:This thread's topic is "Time". Everything takes place at a time. Therefore everything is on-topic?
That works.
Spoiler:
To be a bit more historic about it, the Time comic involved multple puzzles to solve, from the time and place it was happening in, to decyphering the Beanish language; some of which were nailed on the nose, and others of which are still unsolved. Working on these mysteries involved many disparate topics including astronomy, geology, botany, dramaturgy, linguistics, paleontology, sociology, and nobody knew what would be needed next. So, everything had to be related. We ran with that, probably to the consternation (and surrender) of the mods.
For our amusement, some posters created elaborate strings of how things were "related", and it has become an established tenet of the Timewaiters (multiple) religions. When Time *nded, other posters created sequels, prequels, and paraquels, so there is much more to Time than Time. Come join us.

If you'd like a quick ketchup, you might read one of the Gospels. I'd recommend starting with the Gospel of BlitzGirl - the true accounts of the travels of BlitzGirl through the One True Thread, as she pursued Time in its proper order, at its proper pace, but after time had passed. It is an inspiration for all who wish to experience Time in its own time, after time has passed.

You are warmly welcome here, blitzing or not.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Re: 1190: "Time": MAKE HILLISHNESS, NOT OUTSANITY

Postby bachaddict » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:48 pm UTC

thunk wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Hey there.
The River is Small!

The Sea is Big!
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:18 pm UTC

flicky1991 wrote::o Not the comfy chair!

Apologies for the Forum Games invasion, OTTers.
Wow! flicky1991! I don't think I've ever said hi to you before, even though we overlapped ever so slightly here long ago. Hi!

You don't have to blitz Time as long as I don't have to blitz all your posts!
Agatha the Awesomeful

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:24 pm UTC

ggh wrote:Wow! flicky1991!
What did I do to get that reaction? :P
Hi to you too!
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

ggh

Postby ggh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:04 pm UTC

I've seen you around sometimes when I'm reading other threads (or Neil's sig).
Also birds. :)
Agatha the Awesomeful

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:09 pm UTC

I was still posting in this thread further along than I thought. My last post here before this page is on page 345. In my mind I stopped earlier than that.

*shrugs*

Yes, birds are cool. :D
any pronouns
----
Forum Games Discord

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:47 pm UTC

oh!, oh!; Navel gazing.
I love navel gazing!
"Everyone has a religion.
Not everyone has a god."

The following is one thought of many.
Spoiler:
I owned a one-hundred year old wooden construction house.
At the same time I was reading a book. (surprised?)

The book stated, "We worship what we serve."
The book suggested noticing what our minds and hand are doing.

(Buddhism suggests the same thing.)
(Buddhism's not always a religion.)

After some days of consideration,
I learned, 'This house is my God and DIY Projects my Religion.'

I was creating my Religion built on foundations placed by others.

Spoiler:
I still miss that big old house, sometimes.
That Religion is Not for the physically weak nor the faint of heart.
edit:
Eternal Density wrote:Except...
There's a fundamental assumption in the statement that religions and gods are things that people have.
But perhaps it's the other way around. Maybe religions and gods have people!

uumm. ok ...
Like Cooties?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 am UTC

Link wrote:First post from my brand-spanking-new lapleopard. I'm on a railcastle! And I can OTT normally! This is so prickly, you xuys!
Nice! What did you get? Discount price?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 am UTC

azule;
Your sig takes me to 404.
It that a Joke floating up there over my head?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”