1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:53 am UTC

ggh wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
Spoiler:
I also bought a new bag for my lapleopard as I was borrowing one from StormAngel for a slightly more seaish lapleopard (actually, I was borrowing it back from him as it is actually mine but I never used it because my old lapleopard is even more seaish than the bag) and anyhow while the new lapleopard does fit in the bag alright, the redundant parts of the bag make it a bit of a squeeze to go inside my carry bag - and i prefer to have my laptop inside a bag of its own even when inside another seaish bag because redundancy is molpish - especially when trying to fit many other things in the bag such as glasses (which are made of plastic, not sand, lol), wallet, my folder of medical papers, chocolate, and briefly my leopad but then I left it out of the bag because I was using it to play audiobooks while driving.
Bags: 9, puns: 0. Surely that sets some kind of needle-pulled record for a sentence....

It certainly is a setbag for our hard-earned stats...

Eternal Density wrote:I didn't realise how many times I'd mentioned bags! I guess I got carried away.

...but this looks like ED is bag on track.

For edit: previous decree:
I'll be travelling next wip, on the occasion of my beesnake-product skycircle.

ETA:
Decree: Tell a story about your previous or upcoming travels!
Bonus points for RELATEDness in case of travelling in the Mediterranean, or exploring beaches, rivers, dunes, hills, or mountains.
Bonus donuts if the story features bags.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote: but then I just used a Sharpie marker to draw a ring around the bit and drilled to that. Seemed to work.

A piece of tape can work for that also.

For Decree:
Currently all the traveling is being done by others. First I stayed here and opened doors for wolpies while their favorite people went to Sweden. And now people have come here to visit us, so my OTTing time may be somewhat diminished while they are here.

I am planning to go to where I can see the skycircles overlap in August. Probably to Kentucky, but we're still planning.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

HES

Postby HES » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:32 pm UTC

Randamnit, I'll miss the eclipse by about a wip. I'll still be in the States, but the wrong corner.

Which reminds me, I'll be hopping over the pond in August to drive from one sea to the other. Look out for a pm if the ottermap puts you near my path.
He/Him/His Image

taixzo

Re: 1190: Time for Another Signpost

Postby taixzo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:49 pm UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:The Flash has superhuman speed. In other words, he's fast. Raptorish. Like a flash, or „blitzschnell“, (schnell = fast), as we say in German.

The opposite of “fast like a flash” is “slow like a snail”.

I think a better English translation of "blitzschnell" would be "lightning-fast", perhaps?

ggh wrote:I had an OTTish dream a while back, but I forgot most of the details. There was like a big block party. I think it was in a German city, with big dorm-style buildings, one of which I think balthasar lived in. My impression was that there were a bunch of OTTers in attendance and I was trying to wind my way through the crowds and techno to see who I could meet. I'm pretty sure svenman and Sustainabilizer were there too.

That sounds like the OTTcon in Bochum. It was in a German city with big dorm-style buildings; although Balthasar did not live there he was staying there during the conference. There was a big block party festival, although it was unrelated to the conference itself; I don't remember what it was for, but there were a lot of people in unusual costumes. There were a bunch of OTTers in attendance, two of which were indeed svenman and Sustainabilizer.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:33 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:53 pm UTC

Relatively short weepend ketchup. To add to the bit of talk about weather, Albany has had more snow in the last 4 xips than the entire winter leading up to it, going from 45cm less than normal to just over normal for this point in the winter.

HES wrote:Randamnit, I'll miss the eclipse by about a wip. I'll still be in the States, but the wrong corner.

Which reminds me, I'll be hopping over the pond in August to drive from one sea to the other. Look out for a pm if the ottermap puts you near my path.
Hmm, might want to update my location on the ottermap. It probably currently says I'm in Virginia, when in fact I'm in upstate New York, and who knows where I'll be by August (though probably still in New York).

What prompts such a seaish amount of driving?

And for decree, I'll be heading to Florida in a few wips for a wedding in which my wife will be a bridesma(id|tron), and shortly afterwards will be heading to Boston to attend the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX), which is a pretty treeish convention that covers all sorts of gaming: video-, board-, card-, tabletop-, etc.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:59 pm UTC

For decree:
This summer I was at the sea.
We did one related thing.
We made a long walk along the sea edge until we reached a river.

Also, sandcastles. That's two things.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:04 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:For decree:
This summer I was at the sea.1
We did one related thing.
We made a long walk along the sea edge until we reached a river2.

Also, sandcastles. That's two things.

FTFY
Wait For It.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:08 pm UTC

Just popping in briefly to say that I'll be popping in soon to say something. Because I have things I've wanted to say for a while and I'm forgetting them. Not that any of these things are important, but they are RELATED, and that's what counts. :) There were a couple of treeish ottifications I wanted to mention; Taixzo I think did one, but I can't find it now. Oh, there it is... all you can eat! There was also much d'awww - ZoomanSP's otters come to mind, but there were others. Oh, there's one - Gingercat's otters!

The wind is howling; this week we got about a foot of snow, and I got some good use of an electric snowshovel. I also have a wimpy snow thrower which was out of gas. I had gas but no oil to mix with it, so the electric snowshovel came to the rescue ("snowshovel" is flagged as a spelling error - the programmers must live in Hawaii). However, I did not see any thrones blowing around, nor games of them either. (If thrones are being thrown, it's no game).

Gingercat wrote:Yeah; he's yet to brew a Potion of Frost Giant Strength
Skimming through the OTT in a raptorish reketchup, I came across this and read it as a "Proton of Froth Giant Strength". Is this the homeopathic version of quantum mechanics?

addams wrote:Did you ever find the Lost Tool?
I found a different lost tool. I was rear-ended by a truck a few months ago and an inspector came to look at the damage when the car was in my driveway (and I was asleep). Later I found a magnetic thing-picker-upper on my windshield. The estimate for the damages was insulting, so I did not mention the lost tool.

At this point though, I don't know where it is anyway, so now it's REDUNDANTLY lost.

ggh wrote:I don't know much about Australia, but I enjoyed it. It struck me as big, and complicated. But I wasn't really paying much attention. Mostly I was just driving.
I went there to drive.

addams wrote:I took Lucille across a dry riverbed, one Time.
I didn't go to the Dominican Republic to drive, but I have a driving story from there from way back. I don't have any driving stories there from recently, because I won't drive there. I'll drive anywhere, but not there. But it was different in the before-time.
Spoiler:
I was still in college (if I remember correctly, but if not, it's close enough) and during summer break visited relatives down there. In those days much of the county was dirt roads, and there were no highways of any sort. My cousin had a friend and I rented a car and the three of us drove from Santo Domingo (the capital, where we were) to La Romana, much of the way along the southern coast. I don't remember what color it was (but it was a car with color, unlike cars you get today which are almost all some form of grey). There was almost nobody on the road, which was a one-lane (each direction) paved road, and we stopped here and there, notably we stopped at a restaurant/golf course/something (I don't remember, but it was the only thing for miles) and parked right next to an identical car, license plate off by one (or maybe two), rented by the same company, and it might even have been the same color. Memory is quite faded at this point, but it was remarkable even at the time. We never did find out who was driving it (that might have been fun) but we continued on and bumped into an airport. There was nobody there, so I got on the runway and gunned it. The needle was tipping 100 or so (but it was only kph, so meh). No airplanes came in, and we did not take off. Continuing on, we reached a river. By this time the road had become a dirt road, and the road crossed the river without benefit of bridge.

Yes, the thought occurred to me to just drive through. A moment's thought did however convince me that it would not be the best idea I'd had, and even if I had succeeded, I'd have to cross it again on the way back.

And no, there weren't any other roads.

So, we turned back. It was a fun day overall.

Driving down there these days is something totally else. I won't do it.

(Actually, the traffic where I used to go to college has also become seaishly seaish. I used to ride bikes there all over the place. Now I'm almost afraid to cross the street!)
Good bike work ggh and GnomeAnne! I'm becoming convinced that you can enhance like they do on TV. :)

I'm so pleased that addams, ED, and JuneBug are getting the benefits of SCIENCE! and hope that all the micro-components of their bodies continue to behave molpishly. Of course I hope that for all y'all too.

addams wrote:Someone on this Thread, maybe Jose', wrote,
"Don't throw away your boots and backpack."
"You may use them, someday."
Dunno if it was me, but it's something I'd be likely to espouse. I have the basement to prove it. :)

I wonder whatever happened to our favorite transistor...
Febrion wrote:[Summoning Circle]
:)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Gingercat

Postby Gingercat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am UTC

ucim wrote:
Gingercat wrote:Yeah; he's yet to brew a Potion of Frost Giant Strength
Skimming through the OTT in a raptorish reketchup, I came across this and read it as a "Proton of Froth Giant Strength". Is this the homeopathic version of quantum mechanics?

That sounds like an upgraded Beer Golem.
I am Schrödinger's Gingercat.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:01 am UTC

HES wrote:Randamnit, I'll miss the eclipse by about a wip. I'll still be in the States, but the wrong corner.

Me! Me!
Come see Me!

There is so much more than me to see.
The wide and wild Pacific Ocean.

The Redwoods;
Some of the oldest trees on the planet.

And Rocks;
We have loads of Rocks.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

GnomeAnne
Location: [center][img]http://forums.xkcd.com/download/file.php?id=54350&t=1[/img]

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:45 am UTC

Completely off topic, and only slightly related:
Does anyone know of a heatless solder or electrically conductive glue? I need to repair a section of wire that was damaged, but it is inside a small cavity and I cannot access the far end of the wire to replace the whole thing, trying to solder it together would only end up burning me.
Spoiler:
I made a knife with an electronic vapor cigarette that attaches in place of a pommel for a friend who smokes. One of the wires that was supposed to be embedded in the resin of the handle came loose, and when I was smoothing the inside of the battery cavity with a dremel I cut it.
20170213_181454.jpg
Last edited by GnomeAnne on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait For It.

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:58 am UTC

Congratulations to Laura Mae for her molpish news!

Congratulations also to ZoomanSP, as I assume he has either recently completed or is very soon about to complete the traditional main prerequisite for a beesnake-product skycircle; and if I am mistaken, then finally getting around to going on a (long overdue, in this case) beesnake-product skycircle is probably worthy of congratulations all by itself.

Due to FFS situation, I have at the moment no travel plans for the foreseeable future. But I have been going through parts of my digital picture archives (which by now already go back more than a decade) and adding some documentation about the when, where and how. There had been some travel; castles were involved too.

Edit: And ggh, I'm pretty certain I haven't met you at the Bochum OTTercon, but I'm sure I'll enjoy meeting you at a future one if the opportunity arises.
Last edited by svenman on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams thanks all of us who helped. Her life is much better now.

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1700

Postby mscha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 am UTC

UNSTRONG...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:YO WAWLPY, I HEARD YOU LIKE STEAKISHNESS SO WE PUT SOME STEAKISHNESS IN YOUR STEAKISHNESS SO YOU CAN BLINDPOST WHILE YOU BLINDPOST

-- posted by randompixbot

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 am UTC

Per Decree:
----------

Last week I drove The Smith River Canyon Road.
That is US Highway 199. I drove both directions.

I drove East, first.
Then, I dove West.

That trip was Amazing and Frightening in many ways.
The West Coast of the US has been pounded with rain.

I have never seen the Smith River as high as it was last week.
That river is tumbling white water, down, way down, in a canyon.

Those days, the Smith River was green and flowing along side the road!
How much water that is boggles my mind.

That canyon is so large, the river still has a long way to go
before it crests onto the road and starts eating the road.

I was frightened, anyway.
It was eerie. I was alone.

The road was empty; As I drove along, there were times
when half an hour passed while mine was the only vehicle within sight.

Both Directions!
Dangerous Road!

One very scenic and very dangerous portion of the road
has a cliff face the West bound traffic almost touches.

There were lights flashing around signs that say,
Slide Area and Falling Rock.

There were temporary orange signs saying, Slide Ahead.
I came around one curve to see the red bark of a large Madrone
hanging out over the road at a forty-five degree angle.

That tree and the whole hill side will be coming down.
As you know, I made it through the canyon.

On the other side, I met SBN's Mum!
She is delightful! So are her friends.

She has a network of delightful friends. I met Helen.
We visited for hours. We toured her home and garden.

SBN's Mum gave me a start from her African Violet.
I had a nice time with those people.

The poor African Violet might not make it.
It is limp like Audrey II. Does it want blood?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:38 am UTC

svenman wrote:Congratulations also to ZoomanSP, as I assume he has either recently completed or is very soon about to complete the traditional main prerequisite for a beesnake-product skycircle

Thanks, svenman! The prerequisite was completed about two mips ago. :)
Wait on.

Spoiler:

ggh

1190: Time: GninjaONG GnomeAnne

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 am UTC

Redundantly connect to TLF

TLF: OS?
B: The operating system on your computer.
TLF: I don't know, actually.
B: We could find it out.
B: What does it look like when the computer starts?
TLF: At first white letters on black background.
TLF: But they are in a foreign alphabet I don't understand.
B: ???
TLF: Then, an orange background and icons. Also foreign.
TLF: I click a circular icon.
TLF: Text "Emulator x86" appears.
TLF: Then, again, white-on-black text. This time readable.
TLF: Next, a "Choose kernel". Only default option works.
B: What is it?
TLF: "LEML Extremely Modified Linux"
TLF: After that a blue background and everything works.

Now you're having a redundant Coincidence chat with TLF on two computers.
This is very cool.

You determined which version of the game she needs.
You can send the correct file now.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

GnomeAnne

Redundantly: 1190: "Time"

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 am UTC

RedundantlyRedundantly connect to TLF
Spoiler:

TLF: OS?
B: The operating system on your computer.
TLF: I don't know, actually.
B: We could find it out.
B: What does it look like when the computer starts?
TLF: At first white letters on black background.
TLF: But they are in a foreign alphabet I don't understand.
B: ???
TLF: Then, an orange background and icons. Also foreign.
TLF: I click a circular icon.
TLF: Text "Emulator x86" appears.
TLF: Then, again, white-on-black text. This time readable.
TLF: Next, a "Choose kernel". Only default option works.
B: What is it?
TLF: "LEML Extremely Modified Linux"
TLF: After that a blue background and everything works.

Now you're having a redundant Coincidence chat with TLF on two computers.
This is very cool.

You determined which version of the game she needs.
You can send the correct file now.

b just happened to have the right version. On hand. For an extremely modified operating system. Not suspicious at all. Nope.

Addams sends her love along with pictures of her adventure.
Spoiler:
Image1st Photo: My neighbor, the logger, cut a path to the Pubic Road. What a way to begin a day!

Image2nd Photo: At the mouth of the Smith River, the river is running though the forest.

Image3rd Photo: This green river Should! be white water down in a Canyon!

Image4th Photo: Looking upstream. That!! Is a lot of water!

Image5th Photo: How Sweet!! Look who was waiting to say, "Greetings" to us on the other side!

Beesnake product sky circle?
What does this mean?
Big production?
Wait For It.

ggh

Postby ggh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 am UTC

Heretics might call it a Cereal-Condiment Bare-Bottom. :)

Congrats Zooman!
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

karhell

Re: Redundantly: 1190: "Time"

Postby karhell » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:06 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:[...]the Pubic Road.
I'm... not sure I want to know...

Congratulations, Zooman!
Belated congratulations for the molpish news, ED, Addams, and June Bug!
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

balthasar_s

Re: dundantly: 1190: "Time"

Postby balthasar_s » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:20 am UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:b just happened to have the right version. Not suspicious at all.
That's not difficult if the CD contains multiple versions. 700MB is a lot of space.

What does this mean?
Big production?
Remove the snake. Snakes are just placeholders.
Bee product. What is a well known bee product? honey.
and the sky circle is GLR's nickname for the moon.

The botteriada is slowing down. the post rate should be adjusted to not make posts with just a few lines.
But this time it will happen automatically. mr*bdexbot will be allowed to post only if a large enough number of bytes is collected.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

GnomeAnne

Postby GnomeAnne » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:24 am UTC

karhell wrote:

Congratulations, Zooman!
Belated congratulations for the molpish news, ED, Addams, and June Bug!

I'm certain I don't. :D

Congratulations Zooman!
Spoiler:
balthasar_s wrote:
What does this mean?
Big production?
Ah, thank you.
I thought
bee = bug/big
Product+ Sun = production
Wait For It.

Eternal Density

Re: 1190: "Story Time"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 am UTC

My grandma has quite a few African violets :D

Happy Valentine's Day / 2 yips since OtterKarneval!!
Remember the SenfMuseum?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Re: dundantly: 1190: "Time"

Postby addams » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:13 pm UTC

Happy St. Valentine's Day Ed and Time!

Two Years?
Goodness!
How Time Flies....
balthasar_s wrote:
What does this mean?
Big production?
That is so sweet.
Like Honey.

Congratulations, Zooman!
And; To Zooman the Other.

Are we still telling Stories of Travel.
When I was Young...
Spoiler:
Yes! I Was! young, once.
After many years of living in the Pacific NorthWest on the Coast.
I traveled to a warm climate.

The warm, balmy night air was...
The second most surprising thing.

The Most Surprising thing was the length of the day.

Where I come from, when the days are bright and sunny,
The days are also long. The sun sets late in the summer.

Our warm days are Long Days.
Dark comes slowly at 10 p.m.

Close to the Equator it is a very different story.
Dark comes at 6 p.m. And; I does not mess around.
Spoiler:
I was naive.
The people I was responsible for used my lack of experience to 'mess' with me.
I told them to meet me at 8 p.m. I expected to have two more hours of light.

They were Out-There in the dark for two hours.
I was worried and very upset. They knew better.

They knew I expected them at night fall.
There was a Bad Apple in the bunch...

(stupid Bad Apples)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:43 pm UTC

GnomeAnne wrote:Completely off topic, and only slightly related:
Does anyone know of a heatless solder or electrically conductive glue? I need to repair a section of wire that was damaged, but it is inside a small cavity and I cannot access the far end of the wire to replace the whole thing, trying to solder it together would only end up burning me.
Spoiler:
I made a knife with an electronic vapor cigarette that attaches in place of a pommel for a friend who smokes. One of the wires that was supposed to be embedded in the resin of the handle came loose, and when I was smoothing the inside of the battery cavity with a dremel I cut it.

There are a few products out there, such as Wire Glue, that work for this. If the circuit requires a relatively low current, you can even make your own: mix graphite powder (often sold as lock lubricant) with rubber cement. (You can also use iron filings, but they are prone to rusting.) The resulting glue is strong enough to join two wires, and will flex instead of cracking if bent, so it's durable too. I've used this before to run LEDs on hats.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

karhell wrote:
Looks like it was a pretty hairy situation there.
For addams, GnomeAnne wrote:5th Photo: How Sweet!! Look who was waiting to say, "Greetings" to us on the other side!
Should we be familiar with the pink VW? Is that the magic schoolbus?

A few years ago there was a big storm on the East Coast which did a lot of damage, more from wind than water though. A friend was bicycling across the country and we met up with him, but it was a bit of a challenge all around.

ggh wrote:Heretics might call it a Cereal-Condiment Bare-Bottom.
If you're living on the bottom of the world, might you call it a Cereal-Condiment topfree? Or are those just little birds?

In any case, congratulations to both Zooman the OTTer and Zooman the Other. May you have a life of molpishness.

And happy Valentine's day to OTTers everywhere.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:41 pm UTC

Happy Saint Valentine's Day!
I Love You & You & You & You ...

I Love The Whole Thread....

Boom-De-Ya-Da

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

macraw83

Postby macraw83 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:03 pm UTC

Happy Valentines' Xip to all y'all OTTers, and especially Zooman! I regret not spending more effort to understand what "beesnake-product skycircle" meant yesterxip. May this be just one of many molpish trips for you and your Valentine!

My wife and I took our beesnake-product skycircle to Disney almost 2 yips ago. We wanted to go to Europe (specifically, Wales and Germany), but didn't quite have the money to make that happen. I'm hoping we're a bit better off in the not-too-distant future so that we can take a trip over there for our 5th yipiversary.

I've been hearing about the scary amounts of rain that the west coast has been getting recently. I hope our Pacific OTTers are staying safe and (mostly) dry.
In a comically tragic turn of events, Addams didn't die. You can help her here.

Does the basement ever end?

Good luck to all the Blitzers out there!

Blitzgirl wrote:suddenly all the following pagepopes become goated from that point onward, mustarding up those who are trying to blitz

svenman

Postby svenman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:51 pm UTC

I mentioned my picture archive and castles. Today, of all days, seems like a good day to share some of those pictures.

They are even - slightly - RELATED, being pictures of a seaish castle currently located within the territory that we call France (although at an altogether different corner of the country than the Château d'If).

Click on this spoiler for the pictures (clicking on the pictures themselves may take you to a slightly larger version):
Spoiler:
Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, Alsace, France, in 2008.

Click on this spoiler for redundancy:
Spoiler:
Image based on xkcd comic 178 "Not Really Into Pokemon" and xkcd comic 231 "Cat Proximity" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

Haut-Koenigsbourg_01.jpg

Haut-Koenigsbourg_02.jpg

Haut-Koenigsbourg_03.jpg

Haut-Koenigsbourg_04.jpg

Haut-Koenigsbourg_05.jpg

Haut-Koenigsbourg_06.jpg

xkcd0178_0231_redundant.png
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
karhell wrote:
Looks like it was a pretty hairy situation there.
For addams, GnomeAnne wrote:5th Photo: How Sweet!! Look who was waiting to say, "Greetings" to us on the other side!
Should we be familiar with the pink VW? Is that the magic schoolbus?
Jose
Yes. GnomeAnne; We had a Storm.

It was taking a break when I drove out.
It was not yet over when I drove back in.

It was More than Blustery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-jBs16sNNs

The Rain, Rain, Rain came Down, Down, Down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBn72NCohk

Yes, Jose; She may be just a little bit Magic.
The Little Pink Micro-Bus. She was Waiting.

Sometimes it seems like my Cars make friends with other Cars.
The way Dogs make friends with other Dogs.

The owner of that little pink micro-bus has owned that sweet little rig for years and years.
He bought her from a local man who had grown too old to change her oil, all by himself.
Her owner paid a little money and gave a solemn promise to take good care of her.

He told me, "My son will inherit her."
I told him, "She may have a place in the Smithsonian."

Do you know The Story of Ken Kesey's Bus “Furthur"?
Spoiler:
And The Cool-Aid Acid Trip?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elect ... _Acid_Test
oh...Ho-Hum...

Mr. Kesey was all grown up and living on the other side of Mt. Pisgah from me, when we met.
What I know First Hand about the man is he was a nice man.
He was serious and quiet, when we met.

Yet; He still liked to Tell Stories.
He told me Two Stories as we walked up that hill, together.

One Story was the journey through the Permit Process to put a piece of Art at the Summit of Mt. Pisgah.
http://www.mountpisgaharboretum.com/about-mpa/

That Story was a Two Part Story.
Part #1. The Paperwork Fight.

Part #2. The loss of his treasured son that fueled The Fight.
And; How The Fight helped ease the pain of his loss.

(tee-hee) He told me about The Smithsonian contacting him about his Bus.
It was dirty and faded.

(Time will sometime do things like that;
While we are making other plans...

A reference to a Famous Quote of That Time.
"Life is what happens while we are making other plans.")

Back to The Story:
He called as many of his old friends as he could find.
His children helped, too.

They cleaned, re-painted and drove The Bus to The Smithsonian.
When they got to Washington D.C. The Smithsonian said, "You ruined it."
They didn't want The Bus, anymore.

So...Rejected and Disappointed;
They took The Bus home to Oregon.

Where, it, most likely, sits; To this very day
The End...

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 am UTC

Thanks, xuys! Have some RELATED cake:

Steakish redundakitty and castle3 pictures4, svenman!

RSIR:
Spoiler:
Mooncake.jpg
Wait on.

Spoiler:

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:19 am UTC

svenman wrote:I mentioned my picture archive and castles. Today, of all days, seems like a good day to share some of those pictures.

They are even - slightly - RELATED, being pictures of a seaish castle currently located within the territory that we call France (although at an altogether different corner of the country than the Château d'If).

Click on this spoiler for the pictures (clicking on the pictures themselves may take you to a slightly larger version):
Spoiler:
Château du Haut-Koenigsbourg, Alsace, France, in 2008.

Click on this spoiler for redundancy:
Spoiler:
Image based on xkcd comic 178 "Not Really Into Pokemon" and xkcd comic 231 "Cat Proximity" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

Haut-Koenigsbourg_01.jpg
Haut-Koenigsbourg_02.jpg
Haut-Koenigsbourg_03.jpg
Haut-Koenigsbourg_04.jpg
Haut-Koenigsbourg_05.jpg
Haut-Koenigsbourg_06.jpg
xkcd0178_0231_redundant.png
Those photos leave me awed and speechless.
What Europeans do with Stone and Brick...

They Weave and Knit it.
As if by Magic.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:30 am UTC

Well, I fell down in the basement again, but I want to wish my dear friends in the OTT a happy Valentine's day. I am a bit late in my own time zone, but I figure it's still Feb. 14 in some parts of the world. Calendars are just a social construction anyway, right?
Life isn't too bad here, we have finally got some decorative snow in Gothenburg, but not enough to stop traffic. My horrible carpenter from Hell has threatened to sue me, so I may need that file-in-a-cake that Laura Mae and I have passed back and forth in previous NPs. Actually, I am more annoyed than worried.
I have become addicted to reading Huffington Post online.
Mom is surprisingly healthy, and my twin nieces have graduated from law school (that's probably not the correct English terminology).
Best wishes, everymolpy!
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:40 am UTC

Hi mikrit! :)

New OtherComic.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 am UTC

mikrit wrote:Mom is surprisingly healthy, and my twin nieces have graduated from law school (that's probably not the correct English terminology).
That sentence looks perfect.
It is all Happy-Happy/Joy-Joy.

Please, come back and tell us more.
Did you see svenman's French/German Castles?

More West Coat Water News.
Oh, dear; Is that Mustard?
Or; Simply an inconvenience

This clip will only play the end.
Then the viewer must touch the replay button.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_Woil ... .937913358
Spoiler:
The clip shows the Oroville Dam.
The water sends pieces of concrete flying into the air.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:15 pm UTC

addams wrote:Did you see svenman's French/German Castles?

Just for the sake of clarity, the pictures I showed in my previous post on this page are all from the same castle.

addams wrote:More West Coat Water News.
Oh, dear; Is that Mustard?
Or; Simply an inconvenience

This clip will only play the end.
Then the viewer must touch the replay button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt_Woil2wXs
Spoiler:
The clip shows the Oroville Dam.
The water sends pieces of concrete flying into the air.

Fixed that link for you.

In more recent news, that particular berm is now no longer thought to be in imminent danger of breaking, and evacuation orders have been taken back.

[Edit: Further clarification, now that I have two posts on this page with pictures of different castles.]
Last edited by svenman on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 pm UTC

Thank you, svenman.
We have the kindest Posters on the Whole World Wide Web.

svenman Wrote"
Just for the sake of clarity, the pictures I showed on this page are all from the same castle.

Yes.
That one building has a history that goes back to the 400's C.E.
I read the Wikipedia page.

The Castle was German.
The Castle is now French.

Therefore; It is a German/French Castle.
Or; Maybe, A French/German Castle.

That is an impressive building.
It is most certainly Not an American Castle.

To the best of my knowledge,
Americans can't Knit and Weave with Brick and Stone.

Americans have done some nice work using Wood.
The brothers Greene and Greene may be our best.

https://www.google.com/search?q=green+a ... J0W9mnCGuM:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greene_and_Greene
Spoiler:
umm... The wind is beginning to roar, again.
It sounds like a train.

(waa!) I don't want to get back on That train!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Febrion

Postby Febrion » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 pm UTC

ucim wrote:<snip>

I wonder whatever happened to our favorite transistor...
Febrion wrote:[Summoning Circle]
:)

Jose

OHAI!
I still pop in occasionally, but by the time I catch up on all I missed1, I remember I don't have anything interesting to say2 so just log off.

1I'm so far behind now, though, don't think I'll have the time to catch up for awhile
2Normally that wouldn't stop me, of course, but normally is past
Temporal Knight Sir Junction, Lord of the Sawtooth Snap
Time flies like a River, sand flies like a Trebuchét

addams

Postby addams » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:49 pm UTC

Febrion!
Jump into The Thread.
It is soft and 'Fine as Frog's Hair'.

Everything about OTTers is interesting, to me.
You Logging-In and Logging-Out fascinates me.
Spoiler:
Imagine how caught up I would become in your daily commute to buy food.

What kind did you buy?
Why???

How did you carry it?
How did you keep it dry?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:42 pm UTC

addams wrote:That is an impressive building.
It is most certainly Not an American Castle.

To the best of my knowledge,
Americans can't Knit and Weave with Brick and Stone.

Pictures of American castle in this spoiler:
Spoiler:
Boldt Castle, Alexandria, NY, USA, photographed in 2013. (Admittedly, it is in a functional sense rather more accurately described as a fanciful mansion.)

Redundancy in this spoiler:
Spoiler:
Image based on xkcd comic 833 "Convincing" by Randall Munroe, published under CC-BY-NC 2.5. Text and image modified by myself, modified image also published under CC-BY-NC 2.5.

Boldt_Castle_01.jpg

Boldt_Castle_02.jpg

Boldt_Castle_03.jpg

Boldt_Castle_04.jpg

xkcd0833_redundant.png

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”