1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby ucim » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:30 pm UTC

The Pope is coming? Glory Be! You are to be infinitely blessed!

(cue discussion as to whether it is a countable infinity or one of those other ones)

edit: It seems the Pope has already arrived, and it is me! As Pope of NP 2657, I hereby decree that we gather OTTers, especially cute ones, and those that have fallen into the basement (who are also cute, in their own way). :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

Shall we prepare the Summoning Circle? Hm, where the ch*rp did I put my bottle of I Can't Believe It's Not Goat's Blood?

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:49 am UTC

No idea. Perhaps this otter has a bottle of ICBINGB?

RSIR
Spoiler:
otter.jpg
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:34 am UTC

It would not give us more power.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:28 pm UTC

Wow... I think that's the first time a decree has been answered by a new TAT frame! But do consider that, as the Pope once said, each droplet is nothing next to the sea, but together they make up the sea. Together let us use this awesomeful power to let all OTTers everywhere know how much they are missed. Perhaps it could be on a new TV show: Welcome Back OTTer!

Jose
Or a stage play: Waiting For BlitzGirl
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am UTC

Welcome back, the ONGs were your ticket back...

I should do more of an ottification, but nothing else is coming to me. :(

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Importand frame again!
For the firsttme in a TaT which looks like Time (size, style, etc.) the frame shows not what's happening in in the story but something the character is talking about.

The LHC is large!
It is so very large that they just had to put it in its name, so that everyone knows tha it is large¹.
Compare this with the Humble telescope...

¹or maybe the hadrons are large, name can be interpreted this way too...
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:57 pm UTC

consider me summoned. Randomly thought about the thread today, now I guess I know why.
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:10 am UTC

ergman wrote:consider me summoned. Randomly thought about the thread today, now I guess I know why.

Welcome back, hope others will follow. I may be in that crowd too. I've been reading along, just without much to say.

I do have some news. GHWFP is doing much better, so much that GHW is officially retired, and is now a pet wolpy, not a working wolpy. He's not completely adjusted, but he is doing well, enjoying the fact that life can now contain table scraps. GHWFP has a new job, as an Escape Artist.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

lmjb1964

IS IT CAN BE RAPTOR TIEM NAO PLEES?

Postby lmjb1964 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:18 am UTC

Locate the characters again

And here they are,
together with the whole building.

Now you can become one of them again.
Who will you be?
[39:15:36]
>Be the girl_

bsta is getting tricksy. It snuck an "Um" in on the last frame, and now "Be the girl" is there, below the timer. How did this happen?
Ah, I just learned that if you click on the BB in the bottom right corner, you can just cut and past the code to post the newpix. I've just been quoting the last post with a new bsta frame, changing the numbers and text, and then copying that to a new post. :roll: Leave it to me to make it more complicated. But when you click on the BB right now, the "Be the girl__" doesn't get quoted.

And I went to Coincidence and was reading through all the chat. I feel certain there is some meaning that that is important to bsta, but I can't figure it out. I wish ggh or GnomeAnne were around, they might have some insight. Who else was playing around with Coincidence and Two Words?

Hi, Ergman!! Image So glad the summoning worked, even without the ICBINGB.

And hi, SBN! Image That's so wonderful about GHWFP. I hope that GHW learns to relax and enjoy retirement. Still trying to figure out how one gets paid to be an Escape Artist. Image Unless you're Houdini!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Re: IS IT CAN BE RAPTOR TIEM NAO PLEES?

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:52 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:bsta is getting tricksy. It snuck an "Um" in on the last frame, and now "Be the girl" is there, below the timer. How did this happen?
Ah, I just learned that if you click on the BB in the bottom right corner, you can just cut and past the code to post the newpix. I've just been quoting the last post with a new bsta frame, changing the numbers and text, and then copying that to a new post. :roll: Leave it to me to make it more complicated. But when you click on the BB right now, the "Be the girl__" doesn't get quoted.
It was always behaving this way.
The text of the link to the next frame is always revealed before the actual frame.
It is revealed when only 1/3 of the time to next ong is left.

If you click "BB" then the text below the frame is replaced with BBcode to copy. If you click "BB" once again then only the BBcode is left.
There is no link to remove the BBcode and bring the undertext back.
That's because...
...I haven't figured out a good name for the link.

The link text is not part of the bbcode to copy because it belongs to the next frame. It can be later quoted as the title above the next frame.
BSTA

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:26 pm UTC

New, physONG-RELATED OtherComic.

ETA: As SBN quotes below, I put in the wrong URL. Fixed now.
Last edited by ZoomanSP on Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:10 pm UTC

Is that the link you meant?

Todip's OtherComic

lmjb1964 wrote:

And hi, SBN! Image That's so wonderful about GHWFP. I hope that GHW learns to relax and enjoy retirement. Still trying to figure out how one gets paid to be an Escape Artist. Image Unless you're Houdini!

The same way SubWay employees are Sandwich Artists. She works at an Escape Room, laughing at assisting those attempting to complete the puzzle.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:55 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:

The same way SubWay employees are Sandwich Artists. She works at an Escape Room, laughing at assisting those attempting to complete the puzzle.
Would that make GHW a houndini?

Jose
I wonder where BlitzGirl went!

Lode

Postby Lode » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I wonder what thermodynamics says about Time having a sequel...?)

Maybe after the heat death of the universe

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:02 pm UTC

Lode wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I wonder what thermodynamics says about Time having a sequel...?)

We'll be here, Waiting For It!

Welcome, Lode, to the One True Thread! Come and set a spell - you'll find that there are a lot of sequels, prequels, and imagiquels already, and other molpish stuff going on here!

Jose

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 am UTC

SBN wrote:Is that the link you meant?

Todip's OtherComic

Of course! Thanks, good catch! That was a case of MTAM (Mobile Time Accessor Mustard).
Wait on.

Spoiler:

SilentTimer

Postby SilentTimer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:36 pm UTC

Lode wrote:

In some sense, that's what we are currently working on ...

Welcome, Lode, to the One True Thread!
Yes, as ucim wrote, there is a sequel. (Or is this an imagiquel? See the bottom of that page.)

ETA: Being the girl in a weird situatiONG ...
Be the girl

You're being the girl again.

Something just happened.
You don't know what.
In this situation, what will you do?

Hm... look around for clues what happened?
Image Did you like 1190: Time?
Then you will like its sequel: t1i. [Discussion] [Making Of]
ucim wrote:I consider it to be canon.

503? Images don't work? Other mustard? Visit the ЯOЯЯIM!

Randalspeed to Rakhal, thunk, and all Blitzers!

Help addams!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:05 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:18 am UTC

i have been summoned! rawr!

in my case, i'm summoned by distressing news from GANDI, the registrar from chirpingmustard.com. it seems the domain is expiring todip, and while i'm still listed as an administrative contact in the WHOIS info, i can't get into my GANDI account! i recall this happening in previous yips but i seem to recall it was taken care of by the owner (Aluisio?). i shall keep trying to hack GANDI's matrix and do what i can, but if the site molpies down, this is why! anywho, if y'all see Aluisio (or whomever takes care of the site these dips), please let him know of the problem! i think GANDI has a grace period where they will hold the domain for you but that only lasts a month or so, so we'll need to act soon.

ETA: oh, and hello from beyond the basement~ lots has happened and i wish i could come back here more often but i'm always dreadfully busy :cry: i think of y'all fondly every time i see a sandcastle!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:37 am UTC

New style of TaT frames is still ongoing.
We have it all covered already.
elementary model of standard particles...

It's time to analyse everything again?
Here we see 5 things, which are examples of "everything which affects our lives"
  • A piece of DNA. It's a very important element of all live on Earth.
  • A nuclear power plant. This is the "from nuclear fission" part.
  • A space rocket. This is the "to space travel" part.
  • Some chemical equipment. I don't know what exactly this is.
  • An SR latch made from NOR gates. Any digital circuit you imagine can be built entirely from NOR gates. Or NAND gates. (see examples) The SR latch is a very important electronic element.
BSTA

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:20 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:53 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

Which states that we should be calling this a castleraft:

The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:24 am UTC

Hi, ChronosDragon!

balthasar_s wrote:
Spoiler:
New style of TaT frames is still ongoing.
We have it all covered already.
elementary model of standard particles...

It's time to analyse everything again?
Here we see 5 things, which are examples of "everything which affects our lives"
  • A piece of DNA. It's a very important element of all live on Earth.
  • A nuclear power plant. This is the "from nuclear fission" part.
  • A space rocket. This is the "to space travel" part.
  • Some chemical equipment. I don't know what exactly this is.
  • An SR latch made from NOR gates. Any digital circuit you imagine can be built entirely from NOR gates. Or NAND gates. (see examples) The SR latch is a very important electronic element.

Specifically, the space rocket is the Saturn 5, which launched people to the Moon.
The more I look at the chemistry equipment, the less I'm convinced it makes sense. If this is an actual setup for some process, someone please let me know!

moody7277 wrote:Which states that we should be calling this a castleraft:

Whereas the other raft is, of course, a yurtraft.

edit: also, hi moody7277!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:13 am UTC

The S&S productiONGs are getting interesting
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

[...] calculating the path of a space probe is complicated but it only needs small parts of general relativity.
But are the parts relatively small or are they generally small parts?
[...] a thermonuclear bomb just scratches the surface of quantum theory.
It must be very solid if even a thermonuclear bomb can only scratch its surface...
:D
BSTA

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:01 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:The S&S productiONGs are getting interesting
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

ENHANCE!
Spoiler:
RSIR:
Spoiler:
phys23enhance.png
Wait on.

Spoiler:

svenman

Postby svenman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:48 pm UTC

Hello from the basement (if it counts as being there if you still follow the thread but don't post anymore).

Very personal stuff in
Spoiler:
Alas, I'm in the basement for a literally1 most endish reason. My Mum had been battling with the least molpish component of the sea, and in the course of the last few months and weeks, her health had been deteriorating so far that I had to move back into my parental home and take care of her in my free time while commuting to work from there.

Two dips ago, she passed away.

I'll need to stay in the basement some more as I now have a lot, both practically and emotionally, to handle all on my own, having neither siblings nor a life partner.

1In the literal sense.
Even longer than my forum presence, my wiki work has been suffering. In particular, the TAT page's entry on bsta badly needs to be updated and expanded, and a new entry for the phys series needs to be added. It would be awesomeful if somemolpy else could take care of this.

And now, please excuse me back downstairs.

Edit: Endish personal stuff spoilered.
Last edited by svenman on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:30 am UTC

svenman wrote:Hello from the basement (if it counts as being there if you still follow the thread but don't post anymore).

I'm sorry for your loss, and hope you'll rejoin when you can. Take care of yourself.

Maybe it's the attic if you stay following along.

Some Ways to Time

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:31 am UTC

I am so sorry svenman - those are very unmolpish happenings. Know always that you are not alone - you have friends here like unto the sea. You, me, and everyone here are but droplets in the sea, but together those droplets make up the sea. Your mum will be with you always, for as she has returned to the sea, she is likewise all around you and around all of us.

Be blessed, as your mum was blessed in her life to have had you around.

Jose

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1737

Postby mscha » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:00 am UTC

SPRONGHOUSE...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by oddcat.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:MRORL HAS YIPS, IF YOU HAVE TREBUCHAT

-- posted by randompixbot

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:42 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:12 am UTC

svenman wrote:Hello from the basement (if it counts as being there if you still follow the thread but don't post anymore).

Sincerest condoleances, svenman. Jose pretty much nailed what I wanted to say, but I'll add this. Grieving is a lengthy, and strenuous process, but you are, indeed, not alone. If you ever want an ear to vent to, a shoulder to cry on, a friendly chat to take your mind off things, or anything else, don't hesitate (even by PM if you feel it's too personal to post publicly). Just remember that we're always here, and sending molpish thoughts your way.

ETA:
SBN wrote:Maybe it's the attic if you stay following along.

That or the garden. Still around, but not exactly inside.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm UTC

Hello, svenman.

I can just add myself to the wonderful words others wrote above and send molpish thoughts in your direction. Mein herzliches Beileid. If you need me for anything, you know how to find me.

I think that's not the basement. That's lurking, a form of full participation.

svenman wrote:Even longer than my forum presence, my wiki work has been suffering. In particular, the TAT page's entry on bsta badly needs to be updated and expanded, and a new entry for the phys series needs to be added. It would be awesomeful if somemolpy else could take care of this.

I'm considering to take care of that when I find the Time. Right now, I'm buried in outside stuff (plus a story-shaped thing), so don't hold you breath. (But, of course, be welcome to wait for it.)

ETA:
BSTA wrote:>Try to recover from what just happened._
Makes sense. Waiting for it …
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:27 pm UTC

My dear svenman, sending many molpish thoughts your way. I'm so sorry for your loss, and like everyone else here, stand ready to help in whatever way I can from so many miles away. It is such a difficult journey, both during and after losing a parent, and I'm sorry you must travel it alone. I hope that you have friends nearby that can help to support you in ways those of us here cannot.

I think what Sustainabilizer said is exactly right--if you're lurking, you aren't in the basement, just being very quiet. ggh talked about being in the shed at one point, so I suppose you might have popped out to the shed briefly. Of course, ggh has been in the shed for so long now that I fear she's found some sort of connection to the basement.

Hello, ChronosDragon! Nice to see you, even if it is due to m*stard. I suppose we should not be surprised that a domain called chirpingmustard.com would have some problems now and then. :wink: Have you tried a PM to Lu? I think he's also on Facebug. I could send him a message there.

Hello also to moody7277 and karhell!

I think there were other things that I wanted to comment on, but I don't remember now what they are. Lots of Outside right now--I have some micro-Zancleaness happening in a couple of areas right now--in my raftcar (personcar?) and in my raftcastle (my coffeewaterbaconbabiesice heater); I'm woring extra hours at my FFS; and my rapidly aging meowply needs extra care. :( But everyone and everything here is treeish and molpish and wowterful.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:50 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am UTC

Sustainabilizer wrote:H
I think that's not the basement. That's lurking, a form of full participation.

That works too.

TGW (Tiny Grand-Wolpy) is here for the week, while her FP's vacation nearby. Yesterdip we went to a place where they were going to be, and watched stealthily while a certain question was asked and answered. 'Twas answered the way 'twas expected, and then it was revealed that we were there, and much joy was shared.

Hoping those in the path of Florence are able to make good preparations, including get out of the path, if that's appropriate. Please check in so we all know things are well.

Some Ways to Time

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:25 pm UTC

Congratulations to TGWFP!!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Sustainabilizer

Postby Sustainabilizer » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:57 pm UTC

SOMETHING FEELS WRONG
Try to recover from what just happened.

KXA: What was this?
B: I have no idea.
I don't even know the right words.
KXA: Something feels wrong. I don't know how to say it.
I feel a little different than always.
I try to move and it feels like something's not ok with it.

The wheelstick is right at your feet.

KXA wrote:Something feels wrong. I don't know how to say it.
I feel a little different than always.
I think I know that feeling.
Spoiler:
Time travel sickness.
You can stand it better as you get used to it.
The wheelstick is right at your feet.
I have no idea what it is for,
but when it is there, why not pick it up?

What else is in reach?

balthasar_s wrote:
[...] a thermonuclear bomb just scratches the surface of quantum theory.
It must be very solid if even a thermonuclear bomb can only scratch its surface...
:D

Indeed. Quantum theory is extremely solid.
It can easily deal with extreme forces.

The force which pulls us down is gravity. It can be very strong.
The forces which hold us (and stones and metal and everything solid) together – electromagnetic forces – are much stronger.
The nuclear forces which hold a nucleus of an atom together – and are used in a nuclear power plant or weapon, including a thermonuclear bomb – are much stronger again.
And these very strong nuclear forces are just the small remainder of the even much stronger gluon forces when they cancel each other almost entirely.
(To learn more, read here about the correlation between the nuclear force and Quantum Chromodynamics – or just wait for it.)
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:40 am UTC

Chapter 63

The rising sun lent a golden cast to the landscape as the Great Doors of the Cathedral were opened for morning services. But this would be no ordinary service; the crowds had been gathering for days in anticipation. Somebody was returning from Holy Quest, and the excitement was uncontainable. The Pope looked out from his perch at the top of the stairs and beheld the seaish sea of people gathered below, and thought to himself how ironic it was that this new BlitzGirl, who had wanted to simply slip by unnoticed, was instead the unwitting subject of the largest convocation the clerecy had ever seen.

Nobody gets by The Pope, although sometimes they have to wait for it.

The Pope looked intently towards the cliff above the Grotto, where the Great Cascade had once been, but did not see what he was looking for. Down below, the clerecy was gathering for procession, the Choir of the Raft People was in place, and even yappobiscuits was at the podium, ready to begin the opening accolade. They all looked up to The Pope, but in return saw nothing but the familiar invocation to follow the First and Greatest Commandment.

Second Scribe came up to The Pope wondering if perhaps she had misread one of the Sacred Scrolls, but The Pope reassured her that that could simply not be the case. What was written about what is to be is just as valid as what will be written about what once was, and there is nobody better qualified to interpret these Sacred Writings than her.

Something caught his eye, and he pointed to it. "There - out at the bottom of the cliff", he said. "Do you see that?"
Spoiler:
Second Scribe peered out. "Something's moving, but... what of it?", she replied. "That's so far away, and it could be anything. A bird, maybe?"

"You wish enlightenment?", asked The Pope. "Shall I have that... bird... fly out here to demonstrate that not all is as it seems?" Second Scribe demurred. She knew all about the enlightenement of birds. The Pope continued: "It is time. Xe comes. Let us begin." And with barely a nod, he signalled yappobiscuits to give the downbeat and the Smopu Hvala softly wafted across the valley. One by one the clerecy, garbed in their finest ceremonial robes, took their places on the Great Stairs of the Cathedral. They were followed by the BlitzGirls taking their appointed seats behind the clerecy, and by the two Near Heralds, who stood flanking them at the top of the stairs. As the Smopu Hvala came to a close, First Cleric joined The Pope and Second Scribe, his hands tucked inside a fold in his robes.

Out by the Grotto, Sustainablizer heard the sweet strains of this Most Holy Hymn, and realized that he had gotten his dates mixed up. This must be Seadix and xe was missing the services. Xe was going to have to correct the logbook, but that was going to have to wait. Maybe if xe followed the Second Commandment he could still make it to services in time for the chanting of the Kampucha. But when xe heard the sound of the Ram's Horn, he knew this was more than an ordinary matin service. This was something big, which would explain all the people that were gathered. It probably had to do with whatever it was that they were digging up on the shore. But whatever it was, xe hurried along without stopping to ask so xe wouldn't miss it.

The Pope stepped forward, and in a voice that carried clearly throughout all the land, spake thusly: "I speak now of endings and beginnings, for every end is the beginning of a beginning, and every beginning is the end of an end. It is often said that the ends justify the beginnings, and the beginnings justify the ends, but that is not the kind of Holy Contradiction upon which our Great Faith and Community is built. Such justification does not work even in typesetting, let alone in life. Rather, every end is truly an end, and should be experienced as one, for this allows us to completely embrace and appreciate that which it was that is at an end. And every beginning is truly a beginning, a new opportunity, a new life, a new branch of experience that we cannot fully enter into if we do not focus on what it is rather than focusing on what once was."

The Pope's voice was strong, and Sustainabilizer heard it all clearly. But xe couldn't figure out what he was talking about. Xir own voyage had just come to an end, but somewhat abruptly due to the unexpected lack of depth compared to what the charts had indicated. But that got xim to thinking. The shore was also odd in some way... lower. It was as if the sea was ending. But that couldn't be - the sea was, well, the sea. It did what it wanted. But as he approached the Great Cathedral, a feeling in his gut managed to rise to consciousness - the sea must want to end. But why? And what did that mean for us? The sea was a comfort as well as a danger. It was where xe went to wait for it. It was a much slower pace than even the Monestary. It was relaxing, it was fulfilling, it was, well, the sea. So, why? Now was not the time for the First (and Greatest) Commandment - it was time for the Other (and Just as Great) Commandment.

RUN!

The Pope's words rang out as Sustainabilizer raced towards the congregation: "We are all on a voyage through Time, but some of us are called to make another voyage through Time, perilous, arduous, and glorious, even as the first voyage continues apace. All voyages must end, and the end of this voyage is cause for great honor and celebration. For in ending, the voyager completes the Most Holy Quest, returning to us as a BlitzGirl. We are here now to celebrate the Glorious Arrival of Sustainablizer.

"Sustainablizer - arise and kneel!"

By this time Sustainablizer had just reached the congregation. It took a moment for xir to realize what this was, as he thought he had managed to slide in unnoticed, even hiding in his sailcastle for a wip. Can't fool The Pope though! In a bit of a daze and still out of breath, Sustainablizer stepped up on the dais and knelt before The Pope.

The Pope placed his hands upon Sustainablizer and continued, "Sustainablizer, in honor of your completion of the Most Holy Quest upon which you have embarked, sailing the sea of Time in your time at Sea, in which you have truly Waited For It as it was meant to be, by the power vested in me as the Pope of the Holy Contradiction do I concescreate you and bestow upon thee the title of BlitzGirl the Next. And furthermore do I consecrate your ship's log, the Gospel of Sustainablizer, a True and Holy Record of your Quest, to be counted among the Holy Books alongside the Gospel of BlitzGirl and all the rest of the Holy Books, that it provide inspiration to all who follow, whether by sea, by land, or in BlitzRocket, indeed to all Timewaiters, for all time and all of Time."

Stunned by the thunderously molpish response from the congregation, Sustainablizer got up and turned around just as yappobiscuits gave the downbeat for a glorious fanfare in the form of a fugue that had been composed specifically for this occasion.

After the music had come to an end, The Pope continued, "While absent you were present, and while present yet you were absent. Such a Holy Quest is of awesomeness like unto the sea. Smopu Hvala nuvi dict amuah!" And with these words, the crowd cheered so, that the mountains themselves might come down from the thunderous accolades. But fortunately, they remained where they were, and Sustainablizer was carried away for the most glorious feast that had ever been had. The Pope remained behind for a moment to deal with a few minor benedictions, which gave First Cleric a chance to break away and congratulate Sustainablizer personally.

"I have made something extra special to commemorate this most momentous moment!", he excitedly blurted out. It is a dish I have devised myself, that nomolpy has ever before tasted. I've been wanting to make this since..."

Sustainablizer cut him off, fearing for the worst. He'd heard about some of the things First Cleric considered food. "I am certainly not worthy of such attention!", xe stammered. "I'm just me - nobody special."

"I'll not hear of it!", declared First Cleric as he took Sustainablizer to his cauldron. "Your Quest is Glorious - it deserves the molpishest!". And with that, First Cleric whipped out the tiny slab wth the whirly things, held it over the cauldron, broke it, and to a communal gasp that felt like an earthquake, dropped its delicate ribbon into the roiling liquid.
Jose
<-- previous (NP 2650) | table of contents (on xkcd wiki)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”