1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby SBN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:24 am UTC

So sorry to hear about your meowpy, June Bug.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:30 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?
BlitzGirl wrote:I'll get the razor and finish off Occam while we're at it.
ucim / Megan wrote:"It can do whatever it wants. It's the OTT."

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 am UTC

Often when I see "New OtherComic" I read this as "Other NewComic".

TWO THEORIES TAKEN TONGETHER.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

EVERYTHING ONGSERVED SO FAR.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 pm UTC

Thank you for the kind meowply thoughts. It's amazing how empty the house feels when they're gone. :(

We have two theories that explain everything? Do they explain what happened in bsta? :)

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

ZoomanSP
Location: Twelve days north of the Othercomic threads, and a few degrees south of complete insanity. (©yappo)

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:19 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:
Kieryn wrote:They have a culture involving hat wearing. What kind of a collective would come up with such a thing!?

mrob27

1190: "Time": SUP FORELOK, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK SHIPPING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR BUFFYHAT.

Postby mrob27 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 am UTC

Hey, in case anyone is wondering, Time is finally working again. How much epilogue did we miss?

Yappobiscuits wrote:Not that anyone asked me, but I got curious and wanted to find out, and it turns out my bacon number is 4.

Fun fact: If wedding ceremonies on Youtube count (but keeping the requirement that both people in a film must have a speaking role) then my Erdős-Bacon number would be six.

balthasar_s wrote: ETA: mr*bdex story wrote:

Code: Select all

And with that, Balthacarius pressed a button, dispatching three wheelstick-weilding robots on small levitating scooters, which promptly went *poof* into the future, and a moment later reappeared with one Tornater the Bunliubnite in tow
Just like that?
Wheelstick are very convincing, apparently.

It was momentary in the timeline in which the story is being told; I don't think I thought much about how much time it would be from the three wheelstickbots' points of view.

mrob27 Image
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; I would like to order one nanobot, please.

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 pm UTC

Hello, world!
It's the basketball world (1365) again.
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

BUT WHAT IS THIS?
Is this planet...
wearing a hat?

Redundant
Spoiler:
phys_hatplanet.png
BSTA
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy

ucim

Postby ucim » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:40 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:BUT WHAT IS THIS?
Is it a blitzer?
Or is it the return of Monty Python?
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

mrob27

1190: "Time": I'M GOING TO NINJA LIKE I'VE NEVER NINJA'D BEFORE.

Postby mrob27 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:37 pm UTC

Yep, I thought the same thing. It looks like BlitzGirl in a witch's hat.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:30 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:48 am UTC

Hello Molpies and long time no see!

I have a favor to ask. My father passed away last night, and my family is having trouble with how to fill in the blank for "Industry" on the death certificate. We have mathematician for "Occupation." Some info:

He was a mathematical physicist.
He was a mathematics professor for decades, and also worked at NASA for a couple of summers. He spent a year on sabbatical working with Roger Penrose.
In the second half of his career, he worked for government contracting agencies working with the defense department. In particular, he worked on satellites and optics. Missile defense. SDI.

We can list two "industries" if we want ... I think he was most proud of his work at NASA (early) and his defense work (later).

Any ideas? Perhaps National Missile Defense or Academics/Missile Defense?

Thank you,
Buffygirl

PS (EDIT): He was a graduate student who helped to develop the Kerr-Schild Metric.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Re: 1190: "Time": *is off to Wikipedia

Postby AluisioASG » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 am UTC

Woah, is that a baobab?
A beanie?
It's a buffygirl!!!

Sorry for you and lmjb1964's losses… I feel Sustainabilizer's sigsmile is appropriate: Image

As for what industry your father worked on, depending on how legally binding the filling is, you should probably see a notary or equivalent about that. But since suggestions are free:
Spoiler:
[Classified]
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

buffygirl
Cardinal

Re: 1190: "Time": *is off to Wikipedia

Postby buffygirl » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:08 am UTC

AluisioASG wrote:Woah, is that a baobab?
A beanie?
It's a buffygirl!!!

Sorry for you and lmjb1964's losses… I feel Sustainabilizer's sigsmile is appropriate: Image

As for what industry your father worked on, depending on how legally binding the filling is, you should probably see a notary or equivalent about that. But since suggestions are free:
Spoiler:
[Classified]

BEST ANSWER EVER!!

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:47 am UTC

Wow, it's so molpish to see you, buffygirl, but I am so very sorry to hear about your father. Sending you hugs.

I had been meaning to mention you in a post, actually, because there's a drawing up above of a planet with a jat, and I was going to say that you were off hatting planets now. :)

If your father was a professor for decades, it seems like you would have to mention that. Maybe Academia/Defense?

This might help--my Google-fu turned up this:

Guidelines for Reporting Occupation and Industry on Death Certificates.

Sending good thoughts to you and yours.

ETA: I clearly did not do that URL right. I'll fix it when I'm not on my phone.
Edits 2 and 3: I think I finally got it right.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Re: 1190: "Time"; bleb

Postby balthasar_s » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:15 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:BUT WHAT IS THIS?
Is this planet...
wearing a hat?

ucim wrote:Is it a blitzer?
Or is it the return of Monty Python?
Jose
Superman?
mrob27 wrote:Yep, I thought the same thing. It looks like BlitzGirl in a witch's hat.

Also,I'm reminded of this:
balthasar_s wrote:First, it has come to this:
mrob27 wrote:In Space it kind of looks like this:
... and I think I am passing between you and @balthasar_s, which might affect the appearance of this blitzreport.
BSTA

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:29 pm UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:
Wow, it's so molpish to see you, buffygirl, but I am so very sorry to hear about your father. Sending you hugs.

I had been meaning to mention you in a post, actually, because there's a drawing up above of a planet with a jat, and I was going to say that you were off hatting planets now. :)

Well, cool!!

lmjb1964 wrote:
This might help--my Google-fu turned up this:

Guidelines for Reporting Occupation and Industry on Death Certificates.

Wowie! Thank you so much! This helps me to understand the purpose of this info on the form.

Sustainabilizer

Re: 1190: "Time": SUP FORELOK, I HERD U DIDN'T LIEK SHIPPING, BUT I ACCIDENTALLY IN YOUR BUFFYHAT.

Postby Sustainabilizer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:49 pm UTC

mrob27 wrote: Fun fact: If wedding ceremonies on Youtube count (but keeping the requirement that both people in a film must have a speaking role) then my Erdős-Bacon number would be six.

That puts you on a par with those listed in that Wikipedia article. Impressive.

(BTW, it seems that your subject-line-buffygirl-summoning worked.)

buffygirl wrote:Hello Molpies and long time no see!

Hello, buffygirl! It's nice to see you here. Sorry that it is for such an **dish reason.
I'm joining lmjb1964's hugging.

buffygirl wrote:He was a mathematical physicist.
He was a mathematics professor for decades, and also worked at NASA for a couple of summers. He spent a year on sabbatical working with Roger Penrose.
In the second half of his career, he worked for government contracting agencies working with the defense department. In particular, he worked on satellites and optics. Missile defense. SDI.
[…]
PS (EDIT): He was a graduate student who helped to develop the Kerr-Schild Metric.

Baobabs. As you can guess I know about the Kerr metric and its expression in Kerr-Schild coordinates. It's no light fare.

Redundant: I'm impressed.

buffygirl wrote:We can list two "industries" if we want ... I think he was most proud of his work at NASA (early) and his defense work (later).

Any ideas? Perhaps National Missile Defense or Academics/Missile Defense?

I'm sorry that I cannot really help here. I'm fighting a lot with German bureaucracy, but I don't know much about the US one.

That said, I like AluisioASG's (Hi!) suggestion to put things short and crisp. Maybe saying just “Space Research” and “National Defense” tells more about the greatness of his achievements than long descriptions.

Meanwhile, somewhere else … (and/or somewhen?)
REDUCED GRAVITATIONG CONFIRMED …
Jump!

You jump higher than it should be possible and hit the ceiling.

You're left without words.
What now?

Suggestion: Look out for means to keep the oxygen flowing in.
Confused about the OTT? See the Wiki!
Want more 1190: Time? Check out TimeAfterTime!
There is a MIRROR of the OTT, just in case.
Thanks for participating in my Scientific Conference and OTTer Meetup!
Image Help addams!

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 am UTC

ZoomanSP wrote:New OtherComic.

M*stard, GLR came to my work and I missed it! (Or maybe it was just Cueball.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:Hello Molpies and long time no see!
Buffygirl! Welcome back! We miss you!

Hope you're not passing through like a comet, but coming back like a meteor. Well, not exactly like a meteor, but you know... sticking around. :)

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. Please include me in the hugmolpies, for you and also the rest of your family. Losing a loved one is hard no matter how it happens, and it always happens differently. He seems to have been a pretty big tree though. As to your favor... I looked through JuneBug's discovery, and (as you indicated) it gives a lot of insight as to why they ask (and thus, what to answer). It was a surprise to me too, to see what they are looking for, and why.

It's wonderful to see you, even under these circumstances. The voldeframe is how we continue to experience how important a person really is to us, and it is necessary in order to transition to the new beginning that every ending represents. I hope your transition, poignant though it may be, leads to a molpish new perspective on who he was, and who he was to you.

Smopu hvalum de nuvium dict, le immen avum amuashi.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:50 pm UTC

Sorry for barging in like this, but I just realized that the OTC will be 1000 comics old around New Year's. Double party! I just realized I can't count: it'll be 900 comics old. Still, double party! Can an OTTologer give the exact date of the nonacentennium? And the millenium that will take place in less than a year?

Unrelatedly, what's happened to the post pace? Two pages ago it was August. Is my memory deceiving me or has the rate of new messages gone down significantly compared to two years ago?

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am UTC

Flumble! Hello hello! Wonderfully molpish to see you.

900 comics old? Baobabs, how the Time flies! We should definitely plan a millennium celebration. (I'm trying to think of a more accurate word than millennial, but can't come up with one.) I suggest an OTTer meetup.

Yes, the post rate has definitely slowed down, but it keeps plugging along. Every now and then there will be a little burst of activity, though.

ETA so it seems our bsta characters, and the building they're in, have somehow been transported to the moon base. How? And is there any connection with that and the game-in-a-game where the robot put the box into the Tardis-y thing, and the Tardis-y disappeared? Maybe it's ended up in the same place.

In the physics story, I think now that the hatted planet was just a buffygirl summons, which was very successful.

Edit 2 to remove my many typos from posting from a tiny screen, including change "hatred" to "hatted," even though I kind of like "hatred planet." :) Of course, I don't know why a hatred planet would be a summons for buffygirl. :|
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:42 am UTC

lmjb1964 wrote:In the physics stoey, I think now that the hatred planet was just a buffygirl summons, which was very auccessful.
Hatred planet?
Let's not go there.
BSTA

mrob27

1190: "Time": YOUR Q04B’S YAPPOCISED, AND YOU SHOULD *FEEL* YAPPOCISED!

Postby mrob27 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:43 pm UTC

There are 3 othercomics per wip; the current one is #2054, so #2090 would be 36 later, which is 12 wips, or the 28th December in outsider reckoning. To get to 2190 (which is 1190 + 1000) you'd have to go another 33 wips plus one more, meaning 3 dips more because you'd be skipping the weepend from a Davéandix to a Randix. You can look at a calendar and double-check but I think it comes out to the 19th August.

Edit: Of course, the OTA acts in mysterious ways, particularly around April Fools, so this prediction may be a little off. Or totally mustard.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:34 pm UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:55 pm UTC

I thought the hatted planet looked like GnomeAnne.

Or possibly not a gnome: a goblin!
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Useless utilities: Newpix clock for Mac OS X, Newpix clock for Ubuntu

Sandgarden - a relaxing experience for Time Waiters

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:57 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:In the physics stoey, I think now that the hatred planet was just a buffygirl summons, which was very auccessful.
Hatred planet?
Let's not go there.

:D

taixzo wrote:I thought the hatted planet looked like GnomeAnne.

Or possibly not a gnome: a goblin!

Ooh, I bet that's exactly what it's supposed to be. Good call!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

rezilibaniatsuS

Re: 1190: Time for Physics – phys-0030

Postby rezilibaniatsuS » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:00 am UTC

[CITATIONG NEEDED] -- ongomome
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

-- posted by rezilibaniatsuS

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm UTC

NORMAL SIZED ONGJECTS
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Normal-sized, you say?
Redundant
Spoiler:
actual-sized-objects-phys-0031.png
BSTA

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 pm UTC

Saw this, looks like moody7277's avatar got some validation.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

Best wishes to GnomeAnne, ColletArrow and january1may! One day you will all join me in the Present!

mscha

1190: "Time" - Time Randomly Revisited - np1928

Postby mscha » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 pm UTC

GLIMMERONGS...
Spoiler:
Wait for it.
(Colorization by Hillperson.)

OTT Time Travel

AUTOMOME wrote:A VIRGIN IS WEIRD TOO

-- posted by randompixbot

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:07 pm UTC

taixzo wrote:Saw this, looks like moody7277's avatar got some validation.

Reading through that, it's more NoMouse's avatar. Mine is just me standing in front of a Texas shaped rock.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:31 am UTC

Wait on.

Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 am UTC

balthasar_s wrote:NORMAL SIZED ONGJECTS
Spoiler:
Wait for it.

Normal-sized, you say?
Redundant
Spoiler:
actual-sized-objects-phys-0031.png

:D That picture reminds me of [ur=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OQ0RvMLVUMl]this song[/url].

moody7277 wrote:

Reading through that, it's more NoMouse's avatar. Mine is just me standing in front of a Texas shaped rock.

You know, I never noticed that, but sure enough, that's what it is. Also, hi, moody!

I thought it must be about time for a new bsta frame, but it's still 108 nopix away. :(

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

svenman

Postby svenman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm UTC

May I also express my condolences, buffygirl.

New othercomic.
Apart from Forum Games, mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may be useful.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

taixzo

Postby taixzo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 pm UTC

moody7277 wrote:

Whoops, I got them mixed up. I suppose they are both...primarily grey in color? No idea.
BlitzGirl the Next
BlitzGirl the Fast
Knight Temporal
Bringer of the Light

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 am UTC

Eric Blake, NHC wrote:I clearly drew the small straw in having to make Leslie's forecast tonight because this situation is resulting in one of the largest guidance spreads I have seen, about 1000 miles on day 3 and over 2000 miles at day 5.

Hello from the basement. It's been a while. I've graduated university in the time since I have posted here and started a math PhD. It's been all right, but predictably hectic. And of course, my interests move on--even though ironically it took me three yips from the time I found Time to the time I started posting in the OTT.

That said, my thoughts to those facing the carnage near the Gulf of Mexico, and I hope Leslie doesn't stick around for another month and give the forecasters memories of 2005, which they already seem to be hinting at...

And in a perfect demonstration of the title text, M's track forecast 3 days out was off by 30 or so miles, but the intensity by 55-75 mph (whoops).
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:47 am UTC

Hiya thunk! Congrats on Uni!
thunk wrote:even though ironically it took me three yips from the time I found Time to the time I started posting in the OTT
You were just Waiting For It.

The sea does what it wants. I hope it wants to be molpish. The wind.... now that's something we don't have much experience of in the OTC. Ch*rp!

Jose

ZoomanSP

Postby ZoomanSP » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:39 am UTC

ucim wrote:The wind.... now that's something we don't have much experience of in the OTC.

This is the only instance of wind being mentioned that I could find (excluding Beanish, of course - who knows what they talk about all the Time...):

Spoiler:
Wait for it.
Wait on.

Spoiler:

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 am UTC

Hi, thunk! Good to see you. Congratulations on graduating and on starting your math PhD. I'm sure that has you doing lots of RUNning, and occasionally some Waiting for It as well.

It sounds like both the sea and the wind are doing what they want right now, and it's rather *ndish. Unlike in the OTC, it is definitely getting winder there. I wonder how SBN is doing? Although I think xe''s further south of where the storm made landfall. Not sure what other OTTers are over there. Sending molpish thoughts to all in the path of the storm. :(

In somewhat RELATED news, it looks like in bsta it will soon be time to PANIC!

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”