1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby RobIrr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

What's he up to now? Where is Megan? Can't he work on The Structure without her?
RobIrr, Bishop of the Diocese of Recursive Magic Kingdoi.
BlitzGirl the Primordial
RobIrr

Postby Mr Moriaty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Could the box on of the first structure be some kind of winch system for a lift and Megan has gone to get some cables?
The Holy Geophysicist of the Time Waiters - Can be found eating granite with a glass of port.
Mr Moriaty

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

kryton wrote:
veryslightlygeeky wrote:I hate to think what Cueball has tasted worse. Jellied Eels? :? Cytotoxics? :(

Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans - 'nuff said

Bertie Bott's card is classified under "Transfiguration". Does he... transform things into beans? Is that how he does it?
dudiobugtron wrote:The jellybean did taste like cockroach, it's just that you'd smoked a marijuana cigarette first so didn't really mind.

ImageImageImage
flicky1991

Postby robhagopian » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

beargarden wrote:
squonk wrote:Why is this topic no longer growing at a rate of 20 or 30 pages a day? Looks like the Real World is winning this battle...

The less frequent updates are probably partly to blame, too.

Maybe update frequency is related to the volume of forum posts? This thread must never die!!!
robhagopian

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and find someone to revere you. And abhor.
Last edited by Flado on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk
Flado

Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
edo wrote:I'm joining your religion - would you cannonize me a Revered Apostate?.

I'm afraid we abhor shooting people with cannons, especially those not wearing pointed helmets. We also have no cannons left.
So, welcome, and can find someone to revere you. And abhor.

Was the request to be shot with a cannon, or from a cannon?
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

kalira,kr4, micdi, PayasYouDraw, svenman, preciousidiot, TieSoul, et al. GLRspeed blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!
SBN
Saved

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:

Either way, helmet an kneepads.
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Dracomax

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:

sqrt(2)/2|yes> + sqrt(2)/2|no>
progress spoiler:
Spoiler:
edo

Postby Flado » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:... especially those not wearing pointed* helmets.

What do you think?
EDIT/ADD: * for aerodynamics
Patriarch of the Western Paradox Church (ret'd)
-
All the stars are dust on my screen -- Marsh'n
The best computer game is a compiler. -- Exodies
I thought I was wrong, but it turned out I was mistaken. -- ucim
You have to grow older. You need not grow up. -- bmonk
Flado

Location: Lost in Time on NP 1084/1947; Schizoblitzed NP1156-1170

Postby SBN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

Flado wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:... especially those not wearing pointed* helmets.

What do you think?
EDIT/ADD: * for aerodynamics

Well, my first thought was from, probably because I was thinking of this:

Valarya wrote:Maybe Megan is gonna be a human canonball and launch herself to destroy the tiny castles in one swoop!

But the response specified with, so I thought I'd request clarification.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

kalira,kr4, micdi, PayasYouDraw, svenman, preciousidiot, TieSoul, et al. GLRspeed blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!
SBN
Saved

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

RobIrr wrote:Image

What's he up to now?

I still think it's in Isaiah; all in Isaiah. He's the Watchman. ("Cueball, what of the night? Cueball, what of the night?")

This neatly answers the ancient question of who watches the Watchman.

And it follows that, very soon, two riders will approach, and the wind will begin to howl. Mark my words, ye Initiates, schismatics, heretics, and unbelievers alike: Mark. My. Words. (Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, and so on).
Last edited by partingLance on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...
partingLance

Postby Ebonite » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

Maybe we're about to see Megan launched at the structure, and we're going to find out this is all just a big promo for Randall's new "Angry Birds: xkcd Edition" app!
Sir Ebonite, Lord of the Three Holes
"molpy molpy molpy molpy la la la"
Ebonite

Postby Dracomax » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm UTC

I do have this seal I've been wanting to break...
“have i gone mad?
im afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usualy are.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Dracomax

Postby partingLance » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:I do have this seal I've been wanting to break...

Uh-oh. Is there a number on it, perchance?

Never mind. We'll know by the length of the silence in the thread, if any.
StratPlayer wrote:And at this very moment, someone on the Isle of Wight named Bungalo Bill is listening to the 'splat' made from using their family album to squash a beetle, that had ran, helter-skelter, straight for the wild honey pie made by his dear wife Prudence...
partingLance

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

The Outside pulled me into deeply its evil clutches for many NewPixs/TimeFrames/Piculations, but let it beknownst that I did not abandon The One True Comic. I still observed and watched the wonderousness of Time unfold, but commented not, other than within my own head (amid the normal chaos of all the voices in there).

But, sadly, I missed...

...adding to the exchange of the cunning linguists debating the Timeless questions of the apostrophe in "it's" and the merits of the Oxford comma.

...posting my own "Huzzah!" of joy over the cute little trebuchette and the mini-destruction it brought forth.

...sharing the thrill of more cryptic dialog including the sea strangeness (!) and not being able to build higher, and the amazement over Cueball sipping the semenatedcaffiecancercoffebabywatersandice!

...partaking in the evolution of the holy acronym "LPWAII" (and its subsequent acronymic expansions) and the search for meaning behind it/them.

...participating in the excitement and bewilderment over the first arrival of the poles and the anticipation over a possible holy tether-ball game.

...offering my opinion during the discussion over BTTF and sequels that "Aliens" (the second one) was a great film and my absolute favorite of the franchise.

...chiming in during the thread-drift of left-handedness, with nothing worthwhile, relevant, or insightful -- but merely adding my own erratic thoughts in an off-handed way.

...entering the exchange about milking a vacumized spherical cow -- it's milked of course with a suction device.

...showing appreciation for the "Dune" reference to the "what's in the box?" question, and how "a bobcat" is a good blend of Schroedinger's cat and 'pain.' But then, even the familiar cuddly, snuggly kittycat would likely be IN pain if the poison were released inside the box and it were dying, so... uh, yeah, there's that.

...and taking part in all the other precious moments of interactive Time waiting within the One True Needle-Pulling Thingy.

I missed them all, and yet I saw them all. I've wandered and yet I've returned.

And still, without fail, I wait for it.
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )
StratPlayer

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Link to video here, (frames 0—490 so far).
Last edited by cmyk on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary
cmyk

Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Book of Aubron.
http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/
I prefer it, it's navigable woth arrow keys, and you can change the speed.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.
HAL9000
Not Red

Postby Actaeus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:I added a more appropriate soundtrack, now that we're beginning to understand the deeper meaning behind the veneer of this comic's format. Please take a moment to find a more tranquil state of mind before viewing.

Vimeo wrote:Permission Denied

This is a private video. Do you have permission to watch it?

I don't know, do I?
Actaeus

Postby dreiarmumig » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

robhagopian wrote:
beargarden wrote:
squonk wrote:Why is this topic no longer growing at a rate of 20 or 30 pages a day? Looks like the Real World is winning this battle...

The less frequent updates are probably partly to blame, too.

Maybe update frequency is related to the volume of forum posts? This thread must never die!!!

Or maybe the updates stop once everything that can be said will have said in this thread. For example, several people have suggested that the update frequency might be related to the forum posts :wink:

Dracomax wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Dracomax wrote:anybody noitice that the one true comic kind of resembles the chart of posting frequency?

It would be funny if Randall somehow linked the rate of posting of newpix to the rate of comments on this thread, such that the more people commented, the faster newpix would come.

if that were the case, during the madness time, each newpix would correlate roughly to 5 minutes of outsider temporal reckoning.
dreiarmumig

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Dracomax wrote:
SBN wrote:
Flado wrote:

Either way, helmet an kneepads.

I've got my helmet on. To bad we're out of cannons. Perhaps a Holy Trébuchet? (then I would be Trébuchetized, I guess)
Attachments
Apostate.PNG
Apostate.PNG (1.33 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
progress spoiler:
Spoiler:
edo

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Actaeus wrote:

Vimeo wrote:Permission Denied

This is a private video. Do you have permission to watch it?

I don't know, do I?

Whoops. My mistake. Should be fixed, try the link now.

Updated Link.
Last edited by cmyk on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary
cmyk

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

B/G/DONG:

Is there any difference with the previous frame?
Flotter

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

I think there should be a special exception to the double post rule in the case of B/D/Gong. luckily someone posted
progress spoiler:
Spoiler:
edo

Postby Roia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

I want someone to make a graph that shows the frequency of forum posts related to the length of the comic / frequency of comic updates. I would do it myself if I knew how to do such things, and didn't have so much stupid Outside things to do.
The World is Waiting, Anticipating...

lazy-bunny.com - Blog.
Roia

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

Flotter wrote:B/G/DONG:
Spoiler:

Cuball's head is now more "up"
progress spoiler:
Spoiler:
edo

Postby Flotter » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

edo wrote:
Flotter wrote:B/G/DONG:
Spoiler:

Cuball's head is now more "up"

The difference is obvious on http://xkcd.aubronwood.com/ now, but that site takes a few minutes to update
Flotter

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Roia wrote:I want someone to make a graph that shows the frequency of forum posts related to the length of the comic / frequency of comic updates. I would do it myself if I knew how to do such things, and didn't have so much stupid Outside things to do.

There was this, a mere 50ish pages ago... Is this what you seek? Unfortunately, neither has been updated for quite a while...

StratPlayer wrote:
The Bus wrote:...Because I don't know how to computer, I cannot automagically make this happen, but it would be interesting to see how often comments rolled in. It does seem like there's been a significant slowdown.

Been done a couple of times...

Posts by NewPix:

Post by Outsider Day-Star Intervals:

Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

StratPlayer

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Roia wrote:I want someone to make a graph that shows the frequency of forum posts related to the length of the comic / frequency of comic updates. I would do it myself if I knew how to do such things, and didn't have so much stupid Outside things to do.

It's been done before, so it's possible.
I don't know how, but cut me some slack here. I'm a computer model from twelve years ago.
EDIT: ninja'd
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.
HAL9000
Not Red

Postby peewee_RotA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

The cyclic nature of time is cyclic.
"Thyme heals all wounds. At least that’s what the guy selling alternative medicine told me."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/
peewee_RotA

Postby mathrec » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

edo wrote:sqrt(2)/2|yes> + sqrt(2)/2|no>

|Do we have to format unanswerable questions like this?|
Last edited by mathrec on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
The end is always near.
Lord Randall wrote:Wait for it.
mathrec

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:

I don't know how, but cut me some slack here. I'm a computer model from twelve years ago.

You're also about 45 light-minutes away, being in orbit around Jupiter.

cmyk

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Which is why my posts keep getting ninja'd.
HAL9000
Not Red

Postby jupo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Ohmygerd. I did it - I finally reached the end. Well, not the End end, like the End of Time, but the Now-End, like I finally caught up to the current end of the thread after more than a week of trying. What a rush - now I can watch Time in realtime! And the thread too!

Wait, why is that so exciting? What have you people done to me???
jupo

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Now hang on! How could you reply so fast? That's an hour and a half round trip in communication. That antenna is working even better than expected after all.

cmyk

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:23 pm UTC

Latent22 wrote:Image
Love these two frames.

This needs to be watched while some dubstep is blasting in the background.

cmyk

Postby StratPlayer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Now hang on! How could you reply so fast? That's an hour and a half round trip in communication. That antenna is working even better than expected after all.

No -- it just seems like it went fast from your perspective in the Time thread, due to the slowing of the NewPix.

It was a full hour-and-a-half reply to the Outsiders... In fact, this reply is from tomorrow.

StratPlayer

Postby edo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

mathrec wrote:
edo wrote:sqrt(2)/2|yes> + sqrt(2)/2|no>

|Do we have to format unanswerable questions like this?|

Only if you are in a mixed quantum state.
progress spoiler:
Spoiler:
edo

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

No -- it just seems like it went fast from your perspective in the Time thread, due to the slowing of the NewPix.

It was a full hour-and-a-half reply to the Outsiders... In fact, this reply is from tomorrow.

Whoa.

cmyk

Postby HAL9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:
cmyk wrote:
HAL9000 wrote:

Also, being this close to a monolith does some weird things to spacetime.
HAL9000
Not Red

Postby histrion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

HAL9000 wrote:Also, being this close to a monolith does some weird things to spacetime.

"Monoliiiiiiiiiith... Monoliiiiiiiiiith... Monoliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiith!"

"Mono - d'oh!"
histrion, a.k.a. Sir Water of Ten, OKT, Archimandrite of Amicable Apostasy. Cheering on Blitzgirl, just because!

Time is a molecular acid.
histrion

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads