Page 448 of 2682

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:25 pm UTC
by SBN
Lyoug wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<snip>
(Thanks to Lyoug For highlighting us first-posters for those busy in the present)

PacMan wrote:<snip>
Thanks to Lyoug for warping my firstpost from page 441 to the present.

You're most welcome. As a worried-that-I-would-never-be-read first time poster myself, I thought I'd do this favor to us all :)


So that's it, the complete white. The next few Newpix will be impatiently Waited for.

I often go back and look at firstposts, but I don't know to go back until there is a secondpost. And I'm just the one person, but don't feel completely ignored. If you posted at least twice there's a good chance I read it. (And, Blitzgirl will have read them, of course.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm UTC
by xspeedballx
The next mile stone is 8 pages. Or 32 posts.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:26 pm UTC
by AluisioASG
pelrigg wrote:Wow...here at the end of all things...

Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Anybody up for it....


anybody???


Still thinking Simon & Garfunkle : Old Friends in the music dept.
Also: Overs


I'll Still wait....

We can't do 18k posts in 450 pages.
We need to go deeper more pages.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 pm UTC
by EpicanicusStrikes
truslack wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Listen up though, gloomy people; as long as the mouse over says "Wait for it." there is hope.


Positive waves is what we need.

It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there! (bonus points and cake to anyone who recognises the quote)

Just remember; the bridge was blown up before they got to it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
Jonas79 wrote:ETA: BlitzGirl, maybe you should change your location to just "Present time" so you don't have to constantly update the page number? Just a thought :)


I'm thinking about it, but it's hard to let go! The updates, I neeeeed them... *cuddles numerical location*

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:28 pm UTC
by KarMann
I've updated the Explain XKCD animated GIF again. Will I ever do that again, I wonder? :?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 pm UTC
by Jonas79
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
truslack wrote:
Kieryn wrote:Listen up though, gloomy people; as long as the mouse over says "Wait for it." there is hope.


Positive waves is what we need.

It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there! (bonus points and cake to anyone who recognises the quote)

Just remember; the bridge was blown up before they got to it.


Bridge over the river Kwai (or something like that. It was a long time since I last saw it.)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:29 pm UTC
by truslack
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:Just remember; the bridge was blown up before they got to it.


Cause of negative waves! (You still get cake, well done sir!)

Woof woooof wooooof!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm UTC
by k.bookbinder
AluisioASG wrote:
Adam H wrote:Fear not, followers of Time! Eventually, the whiteness will fade in to reveal something completely different. Maybe not today, maybe not this week, maybe not in this lifetime, but eventually. It may go through another iteration of the sandcastle construction first. It may go through 100 iterations of the sandcastle construction. But eventually, we will get NEW newpix!

Wait for it...

We need to make sure someone will be waiting for it…
PS. Thanks BlitzGirl!


There are those of us, devote followers since the beginning, who continue to wait. Worry not, for I continue to Wait for it.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:30 pm UTC
by truslack
Jonas79 wrote:Bridge over the river Kwai (or something like that. It was a long time since I last saw it.)


Kelly's Heroes (you can have some crumbs if you want)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 pm UTC
by burpen
pelrigg wrote:Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Yes, but woefully off-topic for most of it...

Which reminds me: something something something blitzgirl

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm UTC
by KarMann
FWIW, I was pondering the slim possibility that the change to the White Era might in some way bring about a new Time of the Short NewPices, but that doesn't seem to be the case, yet. Halfway to the real question being answered, now.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm UTC
by Jonas79
truslack wrote:
Jonas79 wrote:Bridge over the river Kwai (or something like that. It was a long time since I last saw it.)


Kelly's Heroes (you can have some crumbs if you want)


Oh well, didn't want to Google so I guess I remembered wrong.

Less then an original newpix left until what I think will be the "Fade In". Remember back when we used to get newpix twice as fast?

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm UTC
by peewee_RotA
pelrigg wrote:Wow...here at the end of all things...

Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Anybody up for it....


anybody???


Still thinking Simon & Garfunkle : Old Friends in the music dept.
Also: Overs


I'll Still wait....


I'll meaninglessly contribute to the post count! Sorry for my absence. I was busy working on my vow of celebrantcy. (And boy was that some party. WOOOOOO!)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:35 pm UTC
by yappobiscuits
Lyoug wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<snip>
(Thanks to Lyoug For highlighting us first-posters for those busy in the present)

PacMan wrote:<snip>
Thanks to Lyoug for warping my firstpost from page 441 to the present.

You're most welcome. As a worried-that-I-would-never-be-read first time poster myself, I thought I'd do this favor to us all :)

And thanks from me too! Also *high fives for Dream Theater*

And if we're doing Losing Time/Grand Finale, best to do it properly... *clears throat*

(A Major) A journey to find... *Cueball and Megan decide to leave on their quest*
(B Major) The answers inside...
(C Major) Our Eluuuu...
(D Major) ...siiiiveee... *Megan's final "bye"*
(GLORIOUS ENORMOUS E MAJOR CHORD) MIIIIND!
*tom roll* *tom roll* *tom roll*
*GONG*

*E major chord gradually fades, accompanied by the final few newpix fading simultaneously, and so the great One True Comic comes to a close.*

And in the event this ISN'T the end...
*E major chord fades back in with As I Am* ;)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by SBN
burpen wrote:Yes, but wonderfully off-topic for most of it...

FTFY

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by xspeedballx
yappobiscuits wrote:
Lyoug wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<snip>
(Thanks to Lyoug For highlighting us first-posters for those busy in the present)

PacMan wrote:<snip>
Thanks to Lyoug for warping my firstpost from page 441 to the present.

You're most welcome. As a worried-that-I-would-never-be-read first time poster myself, I thought I'd do this favor to us all :)

And thanks from me too! Also *high fives for Dream Theater*

And if we're doing Losing Time/Grand Finale, best to do it properly... *clears throat*

(A Major) A journey to find... *Cueball and Megan decide to leave on their quest*
(B Major) The answers inside...
(C Major) Our Eluuuu...
(D Major) ...siiiiveee... *Megan's final "bye"*
(GLORIOUS ENORMOUS E MAJOR CHORD) MIIIIND!
*tom roll* *tom roll* *tom roll*
*GONG*

*E major chord gradually fades, accompanied by the final few newpix fading simultaneously, and so the great One True Comic comes to a close.*

And in the event this ISN'T the end...
*E major chord fades back in with As I Am* ;)


OPEN YOUR EYES NICHOLAS!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
burpen wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Yes, but woefully off-topic for most of it...

Which reminds me: something something something blitzgirl

Something, burpen! :D

I can't help but feel you haven't read it all, or else you would know that often what seems off-topic from the Outside has a gooey on-topic center.
*goes back for more Party food*

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:37 pm UTC
by Rule110
mscha wrote:
Rule110 wrote:The waiting for whiteness is over. But we're still waiting for It.

Or are we? Perhaps we are meant to realize that It has been here all along.

I'm still waiting for Godot, and I say the play something like a decade ago. So, I'll probably be still waiting for “it” in a decade as well.


It's been more decades than I care to count, and I still want to know, "What about Naomi?"

_____________
La Petite is small.
The liability for personal injury resulting from carelessly unattended ladders is big.

Ceci n'est pas un sig.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm UTC
by truslack
Could just be me, but I think the filename has changed in the last 40 mins?

(I may have saved the last newpic from this thread instead of from XKCD, so have my times wrong)

[edit]

It was me, ignore me, It's been a long day

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm UTC
by Bytes
Careful Blitz, you'll make yourself sick!
Those gooey in the middle chocolate puddings are so good though...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm UTC
by KarMann
Rule110 wrote:
mscha wrote:
Rule110 wrote:The waiting for whiteness is over. But we're still waiting for It.

Or are we? Perhaps we are meant to realize that It has been here all along.

I'm still waiting for Godot, and I say the play something like a decade ago. So, I'll probably be still waiting for “it” in a decade as well.

It's been more decades than I care to count, and I still want to know, "What about Naomi?"

_____________
La Petite is small.
The liability for personal injury resulting from carelessly unattended ladders is big.

Ceci n'est pas un sig.

Oh Randall, so it's not just me!

Added:
truslack wrote:Could just be me, but I think the filename has changed in the last 40 mins?

(I may have saved the last newpic from this thread instead of from XKCD, so have my times wrong)

Nothing's come through on the JavaScript channel. Last hash started with 5f5475ca, FWIW.
Added²: Might as well put the whole thing here; it's easier to copy & paste than to remember the eight digits above. It's 5f5475caf6010dfdbb9f747bdaa7b81200fec32e15a70c19651b4bfa2fe163fc.png

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 pm UTC
by burpen
BlitzGirl wrote:
burpen wrote:
pelrigg wrote:Just remember: A thread with no flame wars. That's special. {Wackiness; no worse than a certain M*A*S*H unit...)

However two milestones ahead: 18000 posts; 450 pages.

Yes, but woefully off-topic for most of it...

Which reminds me: something something something blitzgirl

Something, burpen! :D

I can't help but feel you haven't read it all, or else you would know that often what seems off-topic from the Outside has a gooey on-topic center.
*goes back for more Party food*

You're right, I didn't, and I respect you for reading the whole thing, but I dunno... I feel like the thread went into an unnecessarily meta positive feedback loop about people reading the whole thread. And hats, and esoteric linguistic discussion. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything else from a thread that has been going on for over a month.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 pm UTC
by doeanethum
buffygirl wrote:
doeanethum wrote:
buffygirl wrote:Okies, you're added to the Pre-Hat-Queue-Mob-Mob (which is the holding spot for any new hats until I complete those in the hat-queue-mob).

So, if one was eligible for cardinality, would one get assigned to some other queue if one was to request a hat?a

no. but you are, indeed, added to the phqmm.

doeanethum wrote:a: I actually did already, but since that was my first post it got stuck in time and was probably not read at all...

oops, sorry, missed that!


Okies dokies, no harm done since my avatar should be weatherproof even without a hat.

I shall continue to wait for It while I climb the List of all posters to the One True Thread1. Top 500 here I come!

1= h t t p : / / x k c d - t i m e . k i e r y n . c o m / D e f a u l t / C r e d i t s since I can't post links yet

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm UTC
by Trurl
By the way:

How many hashes can you possibly generate with a purely white pic? :?:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 pm UTC
by Jonas79
The current TimeFrame would have been a very cool Beginning Of Time, with wild speculations about a "nothing" frame.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm UTC
by EraObserver
BLITZGIRL!!! Sorry for being late to say this, but YOU MADE IT!!!

So... sorry to be a bother, but... can I have those shoes back? I may have accidentally taken borrowed those from a inter-dimensional demon, and... well, I think he's mad. I may be turned into a goat if I don't get those back soon...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm UTC
by Lyoug
SBN wrote:
Lyoug wrote:
pelrigg wrote:<snip>
(Thanks to Lyoug For highlighting us first-posters for those busy in the present)

PacMan wrote:<snip>
Thanks to Lyoug for warping my firstpost from page 441 to the present.

You're most welcome. As a worried-that-I-would-never-be-read first time poster myself, I thought I'd do this favor to us all :)


So that's it, the complete white. The next few Newpix will be impatiently Waited for.

I often go back and look at firstposts, but I don't know to go back until there is a secondpost. And I'm just the one person, but don't feel completely ignored. If you posted at least twice there's a good chance I read it. (And, Blitzgirl will have read them, of course.)

Oh thanks! Good to know.
I did the bumping not so much because I was worried, but also because there were so many of us.
However I should say that "worried" might be a bit strong (I don't know really). It's hard to 'gauge' these things in a foreign language :)

yappobiscuits wrote:<snip>
And thanks from me too! Also *high fives for Dream Theater*

And if we're doing Losing Time/Grand Finale, best to do it properly... *clears throat*

(A Major) A journey to find... *Cueball and Megan decide to leave on their quest*
(B Major) The answers inside...
(C Major) Our Eluuuu...
(D Major) ...siiiiveee... *Megan's final "bye"*
(GLORIOUS ENORMOUS E MAJOR CHORD) MIIIIND!
*tom roll* *tom roll* *tom roll*
*GONG*

*E major chord gradually fades, accompanied by the final few newpix fading simultaneously, and so the great One True Comic comes to a close.*

And in the event this ISN'T the end...
*E major chord fades back in with As I Am* ;)


(Enigmatic bass harmonics intro) La Petite is standing over the ruins of the sandcastle – *What has she done?!*
Well done yappobiscuits, that was an epic ending, I could hear and see it all while reading.

EDIT:
xspeedballx wrote:<snip>
OPEN YOUR EYES NICHOLAS!

I see we have a bunch of DT fans in here :twisted:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 pm UTC
by KarMann
Trurl wrote:By the way:

How many hashes can you possibly generate with a purely white pic? :?:

It's been established that identical images have completely different hashes, with no idea what the other factor(s) might be, if they aren't completely random. There were a couple of bit-for-bit identical frames, once upon a Time. So, I suppose the answer would be, as many as Great Lord Randall wants.

Added:
EraObserver wrote:BLITZGIRL!!! Sorry for being late to say this, but YOU MADE IT!!!

So... sorry to be a bother, but... can I have those shoes back? I may have accidentally taken borrowed those from a inter-dimensional demon, and... well, I think he's mad. I may be turned into a goat if I don't get those back soon...

You've got to be kidding! :wink:

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 pm UTC
by jjjdavidson
KarMann wrote:FWIW, I was pondering the slim possibility that the change to the White Era might in some way bring about a new Time of the Short NewPices, but that doesn't seem to be the case, yet. Halfway to the real question being answered, now.

Some tracks from the "White Era":

"Back in the OTC/T"
"#0b1aD1, #0b1aDa"
"While My Eyestrain Gently Weeps"
"Happiness is a Warm Monitor"
"I'm So NoComa"
"Whitebird"
"Pigxels"
"Why Don't We Do It on the Beach?"

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:50 pm UTC
by Actaeus
Wow.

Well folks, I was mostly a lurker, but I've grown quite attached to you lot.

A belated welcome to the Present, BlitzGirl.

I'm glad to be with you, patient ones, here at the end of all things.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm UTC
by pelrigg
At this rate (..holds up thumb, squints..) 450 pages will be reached before the end of the blitzparty (yummy munchies. And I'll be a good Norske and bring out the coffee).

and the 18000th post will show up today.

...need other goals...

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm UTC
by BlitzGirl
Thank you, Actaeus!
Ooh, and pelrigg brought coffee!

EraObserver wrote:BLITZGIRL!!! Sorry for being late to say this, but YOU MADE IT!!!

So... sorry to be a bother, but... can I have those shoes back? I may have accidentally taken borrowed those from a inter-dimensional demon, and... well, I think he's mad. I may be turned into a goat if I don't get those back soon...

Oh, gotta watch out for those guys. But better a goat than a sheeple, I'd say...
*hands Shoes back*

Edit:
jjjdavidson wrote:"#0b1aD1, #0b1aDa"

I seriously want to see this one performed. With accompanying lightshow.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm UTC
by RobIrr
I've spent most of the day (approaching 4pm here) either asleep (not being well at the moment) or catching up on this. I'm glad I'm now here in-the-now, although I was about five pages behind at BlitzGirl's arrival (Hi BlitzGirl. I'm glad you made it!) but caught the last all-white as it happened before I had to dash collect Tiddler from school. Now I'm back waiting for the next *ONG to see what might happen ...

If this is the end, I will not abandon the One True Thread; you are all my friends now, and I love you all. (Especially BlitzGirl.) Long may it continue!!



(Reader tracking map bump -
Image )

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm UTC
by franko553
Trurl wrote:By the way:

How many hashes can you possibly generate with a purely white pic? :?:


There are

115 quattuorvigintillion, 792 trevigintillion, 89 duovigintillion, 237 unvigintillion, 316 vigintillion, 195 novemdecillion, 423 octodecillion, 570 septendecillion, 985 sexdecillion, 8 quindecillion, 687 quattuordecillion, 907 tredecillion, 853 duodecillion, 269 undecillion, 984 decillion, 665 nonillion, 640 octillion, 564 septillion, 39 sextillion, 457 quintillion, 584 quadrillion, 7 trillion, 913 billion, 129 million, 639 thousand and 936

possible hashes of 64 hex characters. So far, we have only used 971.

I don't think a shortage of hashes will become an issue.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm UTC
by truslack
A song for those saying it's the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBFhdeR9PE

(I do not believe you, it cannot be!)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm UTC
by Kieryn
Okay just added a little scheduled script:

Every 1 minute, or every 10 seconds within 3 minutes of a newpix:

1) download the current time.png
2) scan for any non-white pix
3) if non-white pix are found, I FTP the file up to here: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/Content/magic.png

The image does not exist yet, but the moment it does we have a result. Hopefully we only have less than 4 minutes to wait...

Edit: The image will display here:
Image

Edit: ninja'd myself -- my routing did not permit the path i was uploading to.

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm UTC
by KarMann
Kieryn wrote:The image does not exist yet, but the moment it does we have a result. Hopefully we only have less than 4 minutes to wait...

Edit: The image will display here:
Image

Xtreme ninja-ing!

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 pm UTC
by Earthling on Mars
So close to the next newpic ... the suspense is killing me!

Hooray for BlitzGirl finally making it ... perhaps just in time for the end of Time? *sniff*

(I've been following this thread from the beginning; can it really be over?)

Re: 1190: "Time"

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:00 pm UTC
by Rick_LANL
Kieryn wrote:Okay just added a little scheduled script:

Every 1 minute, or every 10 seconds within 3 minutes of a newpix:

1) download the current time.png
2) scan for any non-white pix
3) if non-white pix are found, I FTP the file up to here: http://xkcd-time.kieryn.com/magic.png

The image does not exist yet, but the moment it does we have a result. Hopefully we only have less than 4 minutes to wait...

Edit: The image will display here:
Image

Last newpix had 3776 nonwhite pixels.3764 black border, 12 in the corners of the border.