1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

StratPlayer

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 am UTC

HarpyRotter wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
vvn wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

That is also a theory that has been put forward. But, not one that causes much conversation. If it's random, it's random. If it's a hash, we might be able to figure it out.

Wait. What??? I thought the filename was just "time.png" :shock:

Has anyone checked to see if any Javascript manipulation is involved in this so-called "hashing"?

The javascript does not perform any hashing. The filenames we see are the filenames Randall has at the server where he hosts the frames.

The reason the filenames are not just time.png, but are rather individually named, is so that we can "look back into the past" and retrieve past frames from the server. The names are not simple names, such as time_1.png, time_2.png, etc, because Randall most likely works on a bunch of frames, and then leaves them at the server and goes on with his life. If the filenames were easy to guess, we could instead "peek at the future", which kind of defeats the purpose of the comic.

Sorry -- I was being sarcastic, but only in an attempt to be humorous, not directed solely at you. The file hash/encryption and the javascript have been discussed many, many, many times throughout the long unraveling of this thread, and are often brought up by a new poster who -- understandably -- has not read the umpteen-gazillion pages prior to their first post to realize that their new revelation is a well-trodden topic.

Again -- please don't take my smart-assery as a jab towards you, or let it influence your desire to join us and contribute. All are welcome here, and I'm very happy to have contributions from everyone who visits!

But I do find a bit of a warped, but good-natured, sense of humor is a requirement for any long involvement in this thread... :wink:
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

HarpyRotter

Postby HarpyRotter » Sat May 04, 2013 3:24 am UTC

StratPlayer wrote:
Spoiler:
HarpyRotter wrote:
StratPlayer wrote:
vvn wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

That is also a theory that has been put forward. But, not one that causes much conversation. If it's random, it's random. If it's a hash, we might be able to figure it out.

Wait. What??? I thought the filename was just "time.png" :shock:

Has anyone checked to see if any Javascript manipulation is involved in this so-called "hashing"?

The javascript does not perform any hashing. The filenames we see are the filenames Randall has at the server where he hosts the frames.

The reason the filenames are not just time.png, but are rather individually named, is so that we can "look back into the past" and retrieve past frames from the server. The names are not simple names, such as time_1.png, time_2.png, etc, because Randall most likely works on a bunch of frames, and then leaves them at the server and goes on with his life. If the filenames were easy to guess, we could instead "peek at the future", which kind of defeats the purpose of the comic.

Sorry -- I was being sarcastic, but only in an attempt to be humorous, not directed solely at you. The file hash/encryption and the javascript have been discussed many, many, many times throughout the long unraveling of this thread, and are often brought up by a new poster who -- understandably -- has not read the umpteen-gazillion pages prior to their first post to realize that their new revelation is a well-trodden topic.

Again -- please don't take my smart-assery as a jab towards you, or let it influence your desire to join us and contribute. All are welcome here, and I'm very happy to have contributions from everyone who visits!

But I do find a bit of a warped, but good-natured, sense of humor is a requirement for any long involvement in this thread... :wink:

Sure, no problem. 8-)

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat May 04, 2013 3:42 am UTC

Blindposting from a few pages in the past. I'm seeing the hats ahead of time on the avatars, and I just want to say that they are splendiferous. The Buffydashery is surely the finest avatar hattery in the known universe!
οττξЃs gotta OTT, so come to the facebook OTT group!

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from a few pages in the past. I'm seeing the hats ahead of time on the avatars, and I just want to say that they are splendiferous. The Buffydashery is surely the finest avatar hattery in the known universe!

Well, I'm rather partial to the marvelous buffygirl/cmyk collaboration that adorns my avatar. buffygirl made the monolith-hat, and cmyk added it to the base image.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 3:48 am UTC

akacat, BlitzGirl, KarMann, marchlight, MobTeeseboose, Opiboble, Pfhorrest, Tatiana and 19 guests

That's it ?!?!?
Posts once every 15 minutes?!?!?
This is actually the quietest I've seen the joint.
Any one for thumb wrestling?

Or, Randall forbid, talking about the Wait?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Opiboble
It's Machine Code.

Postby Opiboble » Sat May 04, 2013 3:51 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:akacat, BlitzGirl, KarMann, marchlight, MobTeeseboose, Opiboble, Pfhorrest, Tatiana and 19 guests

That's it ?!?!?

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 I declare!
Sea1(Big) River2(Small) Tree3(Neat) Camp4(Old) River5(Pretty Neat) Place6(beautiful & empty) Found7(Ribbit) Bigtree8(It knows)
Tools of the OTT and OTC:
Map-Newpix Viewer-OTT Stats-Vytron Comic Sciscitor graphs

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 3:56 am UTC

Opiboble wrote:
pelrigg wrote:akacat, BlitzGirl, KarMann, marchlight, MobTeeseboose, Opiboble, Pfhorrest, Tatiana and 19 guests

That's it ?!?!?

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 I declare!

I don't think I've heard of this game...
I do have something from earlier I could repost
"Things I've Learned From This Thread"

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 am UTC

I'm glad it's this slow, because that's the only reason I was finally able to ketchup tonight! My 10 pages behind grew to 15 before the end.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 am UTC

And then..ong

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:02 am UTC

That's it ?!?!?

It was like this around the time that the newpixbot was introduced, too. I forget where exactly Megan and Cueball were at that point, but it was before the fade.
ETA: time to coma.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

yappobiscuits

Postby yappobiscuits » Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 am UTC

That's it ?!?!?

Strange that I'm not there, I've had this tab open all this time...
OTTscars results Pt. 2 coming... eventually, but not from me. Seeking writer.
English Instrumentalist Waterottermolpy
Mighty Troubadour of the OTT

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 am UTC

A good time for buffygirl to talk about BSG jumping the shark..Just to give us a topic.

Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:09 am UTC

vvn wrote:A good time for buffygirl to talk about BSG jumping the shark..Just to give us a topic.

Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

Didn't Megan go back towards the hill? Maybe she saw the castle from there and could see more of it covered????

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 am UTC

vvn wrote:A good time for buffygirl to talk about BSG jumping the shark..Just to give us a topic.

It was rising when they left, and had been for a while. It makes more sense to assume that it continues to do so than to assume it has stopped, just like how it's more sensible to assume that it keeps getting darker outside in the evening even when you go inside.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 am UTC

yappobiscuits wrote:Strange that I'm not there, I've had this tab open all this time...
I think it has a motion sensor. If you don't interact with a tab (so it touches the server), then it eventually goes stale on the server. Also, anybody not logged in is lumped with the guests, so long as they are also moving around, as it were.

Jose
edit in grey
Last edited by ucim on Sat May 04, 2013 4:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

htom

Postby htom » Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Look back down the beach, see more of the castle flooded? If you look closely at the waterline, you can sometimes see it falling, rising is a little harder. Leaves twist away or toward shore. Tiny fish, shrimp, approach the shore, or leave.

And I coma.
cmyk wrote:How can I be so riveted to the Internet equivalent of watching grass grow?

Questions? Spoilers! TimeWiki, geekwagon, The Book of Aubron, ExplainXKCD
mscha wrote:We can ignore reality; in fact, we'll have to, since only Randall knows what it is.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:14 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:It was like this around the time that the newpixbot was introduced, too. I forget where exactly Megan and Cueball were at that point, but it was before the fade.
ETA: time to coma.

So that's why that came to be. Nice to know.

(One day I'll find out how to put quotes from different posts into one reply.)

Tatiana

Postby Tatiana » Sat May 04, 2013 4:17 am UTC

I think you just use the Quote button at the top of the posting window,
which lets you copy and paste stuff inside the tags from wheresoever you please

like so.

Time for me to coma. Good night, all!
Last edited by Tatiana on Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StratPlayer

Postby StratPlayer » Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 am UTC

OK, one last pre-coma comment:

They know the sea is rising because they can sense its mojo.

"Mr. Mojo Risin', Mr. Mojo Risin'*"

*anagram of "Jim Morrison"

...and off to coma...
Former Forever member of the OTT, now moved on to other things sucked back in by the wowterful wonder of the thread...

OTT: Sit it vivet in aeternum!!!

(My Blog: The Creative Outlet of StratPlayer )

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 am UTC

For Tatiana

EDIT: Why does this always happen!?!!! I made sure she was online and posted her new hat, and then moments later she's gone. Poopy.
Attachments
Tatiana2-hat.png
Tatiana2-hat.png (39.4 KiB) Viewed 11157 times
Tatiana.jpg
Tatiana.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 11157 times
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 am UTC

vvn wrote:It was rising when they left, and had been for a while. It makes more sense to assume that it continues to do so than to assume...
But they stated it as if it were an observation, not an assumption.

pelrigg wrote:(One day I'll find out how to put quotes from different posts into one reply.)
I just type in the BB code by hand. It consists of:

OpenSquareBracket q u o t e EqualSign DoubleQuoteMark QuotedPerson'sName DoubleQuoteMark CloseSquareBracket TheQuotedText OpenSquareBracket ForwardSlash q u o t e CloseSquareBracket

or,

Code: Select all

[quote="QuotedPersonsName"]Stuff you want to quote.[/quote]

if I did that right.

I think you can also put your cursor in the input box where you want another post quoted, and then below your inputbox there is a reversed listing of posts with quote buttons. Click that and the entire post will be quoted into your input box. Edit out the parts you don't want, keeping the BBCode valid, and you should be good to go.

Use preview and you'll see the result.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:22 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:I think you just use the Quote button at the top of the posting window,
which lets you copy and paste stuff inside the tags from wheresoever you please.

I do see that and have used it for quotes from outside.
But how would I use it to add a quote from Hal9000 from further up the page or even a different page?

Edit
ucim you answered just as I was asking?
Ninja'd and thanks

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:But how would I use it to add a quote from Hal9000 from further up the page or even a different page?

Edit
ucim you answered just as I was asking?
Ninja'd

... and you Ninja'd me just as I was going to clarify. :) And you're welcome.

Jose

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 4:29 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:*snip*

Here's what I do.

First off, I just always have my desktop "Sticky Notes" open for random thoughts and to-do's in Outside Life.

When perusing the OTT, if I read something I want to respond to. I:
- click "Quote"
- Select-All, Copy
- create new Sticky Note
- Paste
- Go "back" to the page I was reading
- Continue

Next time I find something I want to respond to, I do the same thing, pasting the new bit after the first one. Etc etc.

When I'm ready to actually post, I "Reply" on the thread, then just select-all-copy the sticky-note contents, and paste them into the boxy-thingy. Then preview and edit and make look all nice.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:30 am UTC

ucim wrote:
vvn wrote:It was rising when they left, and had been for a while. It makes more sense to assume that it continues to do so than to assume...
But they stated it as if it were an observation, not an assumption.

That's why thought of her looking back from the hill. If it's high enough.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 am UTC

buffygirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:*snip*

Here's what I do.

First off, I just always have my desktop "Sticky Notes" open for random thoughts and to-do's in Outside Life.

When perusing the OTT, if I read something I want to respond to. I:
- click "Quote"
- Select-All, Copy
- create new Sticky Note
- Paste
- Go "back" to the page I was reading
- Continue

Next time I find something I want to respond to, I do the same thing, pasting the new bit after the first one. Etc etc.

When I'm ready to actually post, I "Reply" on the thread, then just select-all-copy the sticky-note contents, and paste them into the boxy-thingy. Then preview and edit and make look all nice.

Doesn't hitting "Quote" at the top open a "reply'" box? One that the only way out of seems to be submit? There's no cancel.
My brain might be getting fuzzy here.

Edit
spelling
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

AluisioASG
Location: Flowing into places that are comfortable for it to flow

Postby AluisioASG » Sat May 04, 2013 4:35 am UTC

ucim wrote:I just type in the BB code by hand. It consists of:

OpenSquareBracket q u o t e EqualSign DoubleQuoteMark QuotedPerson'sName DoubleQuoteMark CloseSquareBracket TheQuotedText OpenSquareBracket ForwardSlash q u o t e CloseSquareBracket

That's not enterprise-y enough. What if the definition of BBcode changes?
You need to put these in a database.
Selecting new quote…
Can't see addams on the right? Message me!Image

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 4:58 am UTC

To buffygirl, ucim, & Tatiana
thanks for your advice I'll see which one works for me (or maybe combo-pack, who knows)
{just realized I got so happy about my first "ong" I forgot to save it for me. oops.}

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:02 am UTC

The ong tolls for thee
and a step up

not quite so thrilling when I'm like the only one here
edit list at 1:02
BlitzGirl, DrSamCarter, foshan91, GerardE, jjjdavidson, mad9scientist, MobTeeseboose, pelrigg, tman2nd, trolleypup and 30 guests

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:08 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:

Didn't Megan go back towards the hill? Maybe she saw the castle from there and could see more of it covered????

I assumed that the castle is too far to see a small thing like that. But, you have made me consider that maybe she semaphored La Petite, who told her it was still rising. :o

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:17 am UTC

vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

I assumed that the castle is too far to see a small thing like that. But, you have made me consider that maybe she semaphored La Petite, who told her it was still rising. :o

It's been established they know something about tides (I believe). If so they know about high tide lines. So maybe she compared what they saw when they were resting to what she saw from the hill (assuming she went up the hill {but not with Jack})

Edit (1:24 am my clock)
time to coma {not the last standing but I think everyone else is blitzing}
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat May 04, 2013 5:24 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

It's been established they know something about tides (I believe). If so they know about high tide lines. So maybe she compared what they saw when they were resting to what she saw from the hill (assuming she went up the hill {but not with Jack})

Edit

Just finished a Ketchup Blitz.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 5:25 am UTC

I've added a bunch of hats to the "Hats by buffygirl" wiki page. It now lists forty (forty!) gift hats from buffygirl, including the double set for BlitzGirl.

If you have a hat that isn't there, you can add it in or leave a message here (with a picture of the "before avatar").

People we still need the "before" for: elementropy (MIA since April 16th), mojacardave, macraw83.

buffygirl wrote:For Tatiana

EDIT: Why does this always happen!?!!! I made sure she was online and posted her new hat, and then moments later she's gone. Poopy.

Aaaggh! I just finished updating the wiki page! Now I have to do it all over again![/dramaqueen]

HAL9000 wrote:
Tatiana wrote:Blindposting from a few pages in the past. I'm seeing the hats ahead of time on the avatars, and I just want to say that they are splendiferous. The Buffydashery is surely the finest avatar hattery in the known universe!

Well, I'm rather partial to the marvelous buffygirl/cmyk collaboration that adorns my avatar. buffygirl made the monolith-hat, and cmyk added it to the base image.

Thanks for clarifying that; I hadn't puzzled out the exchange of monolith hats yet. I'll add you to the wiki page sometime post-coma.

Good night, all.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Rule110

Postby Rule110 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 am UTC

vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

I approve the semaphore theory. And we know they have flags available!

Another (semaphore-free) interpretation is they know the sea is still rising because it's flowing up-river (like a crashing tidal bore).
If you're lost you can look--and you will find me
Time after Time...

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:28 am UTC

tman2nd wrote:
pelrigg wrote:
vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

Edit

Just finished a Ketchup Blitz.

Any thoughts on this part??? {I'll stay up for awhile}

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:31 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:
vvn wrote:
pelrigg wrote:

I approve the semaphore theory. And we know they have flags available!

Another (semaphore-free) interpretation is they know the sea is still rising because it's flowing up-river (like a crashing tidal bore).

Yes I believe tidal bores were mentioned, (Never seen one) That might explain the bank caving in too.
Just saw your avatar {so that's why you like the semaphore theory.}
Last edited by pelrigg on Sat May 04, 2013 5:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

vvn

Postby vvn » Sat May 04, 2013 5:32 am UTC

Rule110 wrote:Another (semaphore-free) interpretation is they know the sea is still rising because it's flowing up-river (like a crashing tidal bore).

Two questions from that:
Do we know it's flowing up-river? They have said some things that might make us think that. (...Maybe the sea can't wait...) But, they also say it's not broken. Wouldn't that qualify as broken?
Why would she have to walk away to make that deduction? It appears she walked away, and came back with the "still rising" information.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:36 am UTC

vvn wrote:
Rule110 wrote:Another (semaphore-free) interpretation is they know the sea is still rising because it's flowing up-river (like a crashing tidal bore).

Two questions from that:
Do we know it's flowing up-river? They have said some things that might make us think that. (...Maybe the sea can't wait...) But, they also say it's not broken. Wouldn't that qualify as broken?
Why would she have to walk away to make that deduction? It appears she walked away, and came back with the "still rising" information.

So are we back to:

pelrigg wrote:

???

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat May 04, 2013 5:38 am UTC

I'm here! I've been doing Outside stuff like vacuuming and dishes and eating Saturday lunch.
I wonder if we'll see the castle again. I'd like to.
Also I just remembered to check the Other Comic, a day late.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Sat May 04, 2013 5:42 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I'm here! I've been doing Outside stuff like vacuuming and dishes and eating Saturday lunch.
I wonder if we'll see the castle again. I'd like to.
Also I just remembered to check the Other Comic, a day late.

I know it kinda gets in the way, doesn't it?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”