1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sciscitor

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby Sciscitor » Sat May 04, 2013 7:02 am UTC

BADABONG
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

tman2nd

Postby tman2nd » Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 am UTC

Did the camera rotate again? Are they planning on fording the river* here? Is that why Cueball stopped?

*Small
Last edited by tman2nd on Sat May 04, 2013 7:05 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Tristram, Guardian of the Time Cats, Defender of the One True Comic, Landsknecht von der Zeit.

Wspi kfp gd...
Wait for it...

fatness

Postby fatness » Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:I've not spent much time on ocean or large lake beaches (to see much tide) but I remember my cousin pointing out the tidal change in a river we were swimming in (Montana, hadn't rained in over a week) that I wouldn't have noticed, but he had spent more time on the ocean (California), so small change can be noticed.

The Great Lakes, Lake Michigan in particular, can experience level changes of several feet in an hour. It's like a bathtub with water sloshing back and forth over 300 miles. Weather changes can have a profound effect on the water level. It also has sand beaches and is fed by rivers.
tman2nd wrote:Did the camera rotate again? Are they planning on fording the river* here? Is that why Cueball stopped?

*Small

Looks like they've found another river.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 04, 2013 7:08 am UTC

Looks like they've reached another crook in the river. Or *squints* is that a beach?

Also, he's still holding his package. Odd stance.
Last edited by azule on Sat May 04, 2013 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 am UTC

fatness wrote:
pelrigg wrote:I've not spent much time on ocean or large lake beaches (to see much tide) but I remember my cousin pointing out the tidal change in a river we were swimming in (Montana, hadn't rained in over a week) that I wouldn't have noticed, but he had spent more time on the ocean (California), so small change can be noticed.

The Great Lakes, Lake Michigan in particular, can experience level changes of several feet in an hour. It's like a bathtub with water sloshing back and forth over 300 miles. Weather changes can have a profound effect on the water level. It also has sand beaches and is fed by rivers.
tman2nd wrote:Did the camera rotate again? Are they planning on fording the river* here? Is that why Cueball stopped?

*Small

Looks like they've found another river.

I actually think it's another camera rotate, reverting to the angle from which Cueball's fall into the river was observed. I think they've found a ford. After all, they haven't been walking for too long, and it doesn't make much sense for two perpendicular rivers to intersect that close to a shoreline.
Unless they're actually canals...
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

buffygirl
Cardinal

Postby buffygirl » Sat May 04, 2013 7:12 am UTC

G'nite all. Away for the weekend (heretical outsider term).

For azule and Bytes.

Edit: I decided I hate those hats. Starting over. Sorry folks, nothing to see here (anymore)!
Last edited by buffygirl on Sat May 04, 2013 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 04, 2013 7:21 am UTC

Hah, thanks bg. That hat does make ffoxy look dapper.
HAL9000 wrote:I actually think it's another camera rotate...

Oh, yup. I see it now. That's why C is still in that odd stance. M stopped to look at him...but why didn't she stop? Was she not looking where she was going, only stopping because C did, not for her own safety?

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 7:22 am UTC

HAL9000 wrote:
vvn wrote:A good time for buffygirl to talk about BSG jumping the shark..Just to give us a topic.

Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

It was rising when they left, and had been for a while. It makes more sense to assume that it continues to do so than to assume it has stopped, just like how it's more sensible to assume that it keeps getting darker outside in the evening even when you go inside.

They can't assume, they not only know nothing, they know that they K N.
After the recent camera move we saw the land slope down to the left and that's where we think the sea is. They could see the sea from the camp site.
Ware2 guv? The Book of Dave

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 7:29 am UTC

pelrigg wrote:
buffygirl wrote:
pelrigg wrote:*snip*
(One day I'll find out how to put quotes from different posts into one reply.)

Here's what I do.

First off, I just always have my desktop "Sticky Notes" open for random thoughts and to-do's in Outside Life.

When perusing the OTT, if I read something I want to respond to. I:
- click "Quote"
- Select-All, Copy
- create new Sticky Note
- Paste
- Go "back" to the page I was reading
- Continue

Next time I find something I want to respond to, I do the same thing, pasting the new bit after the first one. Etc etc.

When I'm ready to actually post, I "Reply" on the thread, then just select-all-copy the sticky-note contents, and paste them into the boxy-thingy. Then preview and edit and make look all nice.

Doesn't hitting "Quote" at the top open a "reply'" box? One that the only way out of seems to be submit? There's no cancel.
My brain might be getting fuzzy here.

Edit
spelling

Browser back button to cancel. I always open the quote in a new tab because after you post, it returns you to the brand new end of the Tread and you don't want to be there until you've slogged all the way through the Ketchup.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 7:39 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

AluisioASG wrote:Wait for him.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

You can see the top of his head has caved in slightly.

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 7:41 am UTC

astrocub wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:
astrocub wrote:
Exodies wrote:We could start a new tradition, a cult of doom - after each ONG someone must throw in a theory about why this is proberly the last Frame.

AluisioASG wrote:Wait for him.

He looks like he's about to drop dead. Probably a brain-eating amoeba from the water they're drinking. This must be the end of Cueball.

Are you sure you're not overanalyzing him?

Yes. He's definitely dead.

Megan has picked him up, planted his stick legs in the mud and tied a flag to his spine to keep it upright.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 am UTC

Suddenly, they see...
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

Copernicium112

Postby Copernicium112 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:00 am UTC

ContinuONG
Crescat tempus; vita excolatur

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 8:04 am UTC

I'm going out to give the lawn it's first trim of the year. (You don't think that having reached their goal - the Ford - the comic will now end?)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat May 04, 2013 8:04 am UTC

Looks like the increase in pressure caused by the rapid descent caused Cueball to coma permanently.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 am UTC

It's time for another tale. A firefox tail. ;)

There once was a little firefox named Ffoxy. Ffoxy dreamed of one day going to the beach. Why the beach? For the sand. Ffoxy, like all firefoxes soon after birth, had his tail lit, for warmth and protection. With his beautiful, flaming tail, Ffoxy wanted to dance with the golden sand. Jumping and rolling on the shore, but never near the water.

One day, a strange bald man and a skinny woman came across Ffoxy playing on a grassy hill. They seemed frightened, at first, but Ffoxy did nothing but yip and laugh. Soon they were a group. The bald man decided it would be a good idea to travel to a remote beach to waste some time and have some fun. Ffoxy got to come along.

It was a wonderful beach. So much sand, with so much of it far from the dangerous water. Ffoxy played happily a great distance from the sea, which was big, while the bald man and skinny woman built sand castles.

Ffoxy was dazzled by the sand. Dipping his tail into the land, it created a pool of molten silica. Removing the flame and allowing the pool to solidify, Ffoxy knocked more sand into the hole with his paw, then dipped his tail in again. He was having fun creating larger and larger shapes.

The bald man came over to watch. He was quite stricken with the skill this little firefox was exhibiting. He wondered if Ffoxy could make complex shapes. They were building castles, a flag would be nice. Ffoxy was eager to try. Dashing his tail around like a paint brush, Ffoxy tried his hardest and managed to make a nice, long pole. The bald man was impressed but left to go work on the castles some more.

Ffoxy continued to try some shapes he'd seen, swiping his tail around with the skill of a carver. Soon, the skinny woman came to see Ffoxy. The bald man had told her what he could do and she wanted to see. Ffoxy tried again, this time making a flag shape. She was impressed. She encouraged him to keep trying while she stayed near building more shapes of her own in the sand.

After many moments of praise Ffoxy was finally shaping fully the flag with pole. Such glee on both their faces. The skinny woman took the nice flags to their beautifully shaped castles. Ffoxy laid down, really happy, yet sleepy. He snoozed with the warmth of his tail and the warmth of sun.

Ffoxy had a wonderful day at the beach.

Edit: Sleep deprivation based grammar and spelling errors.
Last edited by azule on Sat May 04, 2013 4:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:30 am UTC

SBN wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:
Exodies wrote:
woods wrote:The original post was not that exciting, nor is the poster. You managed to cover the general gist of the post anyway, I am sure he would not be offended by the lack of credit.

I hope they go more new places so we can see more of the land that surrounds them.

Peculiarly harsh.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I figured they must not mean what it sounded like they meant.

This should help:
woods wrote:It was me. I was just making a self-deprecation joke.

In all seriousness though, I love using what little abilities I have in GIMP to provide an interesting look on the OTC. I may have to look through the frames this weekend and see what data I can gleam from them.

Perhaps more self-deprecating than is justified, but not really harsh.

Ah, I feel better now. Although woods shouldn't say that about woods either! I think both the original post and poster are great. So there!

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo
That's a robot but it totally counts. Image

bot by balthasar_s

lmjb1964
Location: In the Present! Need to ketchup NP 2236-2280, plus NP 2026-2058 and something like 2060-2090+?.

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Tatiana wrote:I'm glad it's this slow, because that's the only reason I was finally able to ketchup tonight! My 10 pages behind grew to 15 before the end.

I hear ya. I'm still not ketched up, and I've been blitzing for a while.

pelrigg wrote:Doesn't hitting "Quote" at the top open a "reply'" box? One that the only way out of seems to be submit? There's no cancel.
My brain might be getting fuzzy here.

As I learned earlier from mandavaan, you can right-click (or Command-click on a Mac) to get the reply box to open in a new tab. That will save the item you want to respond to, but you can continue merrily reading where you were. You see another post you want to quote, do the same this. Then at some point, when you start to have too many tabs open, you can cut and paste them all into one window, add your pithy comments, edit as needed, and voilà (French for "you have your post")1 you have your post!

Hope that helps. Oh, and using the Preview button definitely helps.

1 Stole that from Dave Barry

ETA: Sorry for the double post. I've gotten used to a much faster rate of posting.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sat May 04, 2013 9:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Help addams stay in her home! https://www.crowdrise.com/in-a-comically-tragic-turn-of-events-addams-didnt-die
Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat May 04, 2013 8:56 am UTC

I'm halfway* through today's blitzing (counting the AncientTexts that will be posted when I catch up to the pages behind of yesterday.)

Page 345 / 528 - 183 pages behind - 4 pages to trek*.

*Okay, clearly I overshoot. But that just meansI'll catch faster, nope sorry, it means I can coma earlier!

Meet another BlitzGirl
She was at page 275 out of 336 pages.

Flado tells her to give up. What the?! I thought you were one of us :(

And then: MILESTONE!

BlitzGirl reaches my first SignPost!

When I was at page 336, BlitzGirl was at page 275, and my past-self was at page 120. She's also a lot nicer to my past-self than I was when I reached my first SingPost. Oh, wait for it, she was communicating with me!

BlitzGirl wrote:It is comforting to know that there are others who have wandered the thread of Time in its past. It is not such a lonely journey, after all!

It's a honor to know that you felt comforted by the messages I left behind :)

I can also now say that BlitzGirl's Quest to catch up to this thread is the best! BlitzGirl rocks!

Then another BlitzGirl reached 281 out of 337 pages.

Here she also meet for the first time RobIrr's idea of sigcouragement. Without it, who knows how far behind I'd be, and even, if BlitzGirl would have caught up.
BlitzGirl wrote:
Exodies wrote:She is reading it properly isn't she?
I don't know about reading it properly, but I am reading it all. Isn't that enough?

I'm with BlitzGirl here! Who cares about all those Youtube Videos and interesting pages people post now and then? What only matters is the One True Comic and the One True Thread. You read them, and you've read it all. (And then you can read related material, like the One Wiki, the Book of Time, etc.)

Caswallon wrote:I have enjoyed using Blitzgirls' post a sort of running history of the near past, And now we have a sort of causality loop where our present, is affecting the past, which is Blitzgirls present, where she sends messages to her future, our present, which affects us.....

So, when do we get a paradox that collapses the singularity and all of time?

Sorry. I was close to managing that. But then, I went Apefish.

BlitzGirl then reached 283 out of 338 pages.

manvandmaan wrote:Been going back to the very first pages, to expierience what BlitzGirl went through...
It's a stange place, compared to now. Javascript and Hashing are the big talk and there are no BlitzGirl encouragement sigs until page 6!

Oh, still remember those times. Strange place but fascinating, I started reading and couldn't stop (I mean, I stopped for the pauses, and then I took some long pauses, but never quite stopped.)

Asthanius gives insight of comic 3, and 4. Very interesting! I'll never look at those comics again.

BlitzGirl Quest progress: 289 out of 341 pages. Reaches her Signpost: 203 out of 286 pages.

This allows me to compare my progress with BlitzGirl. At April 16, she was 83 pages ahead of me. At some point that distance doubled, and then, that distance tripled.

Angelastic wrote:There will be cake on page 360.

Ah! That's great to know!

Saw histrion becoming the new Pope.

Wait a minute. HAL9000 says page topping gives the page topper the title of Interim Pope for the duration of that page? Wow! That means I will-had been the Pope of page 500! And I spent my time as pope comaing, ha!

Finally CatHectic catches with his first post on the thread! Thanks for the cheers! Also, good luck to fellow TimeTraveller edo!

Now at Apr 17, 2013 3:56 am - 17 days behind. Exactly.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

spamjam

Postby spamjam » Sat May 04, 2013 9:00 am UTC

ONGasm

lmjb1964

Postby lmjb1964 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 am UTC

Yes! Yes! I have officially completed my ketchup! Of course, now it's past time to coma and I'll be away from the computer for most of the weekend. *sigh* Well, hopefully lots of you will be, too. This was a pretty grueling mini-blitz.

'Night, all.

Edited to fix punctuation.
Last edited by lmjb1964 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Imagesmiley by yappo

bot by balthasar_s

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat May 04, 2013 9:30 am UTC

Cueball's foot is trapped in a bear trap and he's about to die of blood loss.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 10:04 am UTC

Megan is going to drown, with Cueball having to watch it while being trapped in a bear trap.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 10:07 am UTC

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sat May 04, 2013 10:14 am UTC

They're Fordong the River (which is smaller here than elsewhere)!

Megan is definitely going to drown.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 am UTC

No ong, but a song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd7LpZOtlqQ

The water is risin
The water is wide

She is singing about the sea, and the distance between LaPetite and Cueball who are secret lovers.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 am UTC

Page 379/528 - 179 pages behind, like yesterday! Can stop blitzing - treking starts! The only thing that assures I'll be with ya'll one day Target date: May 12 10:00 AM UTC (unless something happens and ya'll start posting 30 pages daily instead of 15...)

cmyk posts what I deem as the funniest post I've read on the thread:

cmyk wrote:
tman2nd wrote:Image
Uh oh
Yuh huh. That's what you get for fuckin' screwing around. It's a bucket on a rope, not a magic jet pack.

Where was BlitzGirl?: 293 out of 346 pages.

I saw her receiving message from cmyk, by using this:

```~~**~* !whirly time ripple! *~**~~```

BlitzGirl receives the Whistle of Temporal Harmony.

In that same post, LANDMARK, I see the first Time Travel of BlitzGirl, from a week from the future:

BlitzGirl wrote:
THIS SIGNPOST INTERRUPTED FOR AN IMPORTANT
TEMPORAL RESCUE AND RECOVERY MISSION:

```~~**~* !whirly time ripple! *~**~~```

*scoops up tiny trebuchet from the collapsed pile of semencoffeecancerbabybacon in the current TimeFrame*
*puts in vest-of-many-pockets*

```~~**~* !whirly exit time ripple! *~**~~```

(Which is Apr 23, 2013 2:32 pm UTC)

:o

Must be important!

Finally, I see some strange time warp with the TimeFrame's Newpix. TimeFrames posted at minute 39 and minute 50 of the Newpix, and skipped TimeFrames with entire Newpix passing without them? Making people believe we were going into UltraLongPix? Oh my! Maybe... Randall is a Heretic Outsider?? :shock:

On my quest to the Big Bang Progress:

5103 BC - Mesopotamia, wheel, copper, first cities, animal husbandry, menhirs, beer, maize.

Wow, that's very cool! Despite my distance from yesterday to the end of the thread remaining the same, I made 1430 years of progress to the past. So now I see why Randall created this, a much rewarding progress than seeing 0.85% more.

Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm - 16 days, 11 hours, 8 minutes behind.
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 10:45 am UTC

azule wrote:It's time for another tale. A firefox tail. ;)
<snip>

Bravo!

A suggestion:
The BlitzGirl Bop - reading the Tread from beginning to (current) end

Edit to add this picture
I always wanted to add images like all the cool Waiters. But I didn't know how. Feeling holy after mowing the lawn I thought I would try it, after all, if you can cut the grass, you can do anything. Take a look at that piece of crap will ya? It's just a leetle empty rectangle. Fixed thanks to mscha.
Last edited by Exodies on Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm UTC, edited 8 times in total.

Kazza3

Postby Kazza3 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:09 am UTC

GEELONG

Edit: Successful first ONG!

fhorn

Postby fhorn » Sat May 04, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Just ketchuped after last night's coma. Thanks for the quiet night1, guys, didn't take too long! (although my dog, who has been waiting patiently to be taken out, might disagree with that assessment.)
1outsider Time
"...or I shall have to find Chekov myself, and shoot him with his own damn gun" - k.bookbinder
unteaching is the hardest teaching

Exodies

Postby Exodies » Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 am UTC

Kazza3 wrote:GEELONG

So is that it? Is that what we've waited for?
It looks like Megan has gnawed his leg free from the bear trap.

Montov

Postby Montov » Sat May 04, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Exodies wrote:
Kazza3 wrote:GEELONG

So is that it? Is that what we've waited for?

We are the ones we've been waiting for. So keep hope, because in the unlikely story that is this comic, there has never been anything false about hope. There is not a black comic and a white comic and an Asian comic, there is the only the One True Comic.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

JUSTBEATTHENEWPIXONGGGGG...Image
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Laser Plumb wrote:
Solamar wrote:Sigh. I guess new/infrequent posters are not appreciated here. Either that or my posts are not making it through. I have not seen any responses at all to my questions. Discouraging.

As a co-new poster, I think I've shared some of this ... err .... disappointment ... however ..
.... I've told myself it takes more time to have an impact of this "Time" "needle pulled thing" ...
... as far as colorized versions, those who've been having fun "adding" value to the original OTC by creating various new media from the source have been paying their dues, learning the tools (or as we often say w/ greatest respect "RTFM" ) ... some people like color ... I'm a big monochrome fan myself ... but this is so inspiring to watch ... I'm overwhelmed w/ gratitude ... part of the blessing that is the great Randall !!

You did have quite the nice Firstpost:
Laser Plumb wrote:Since it seems that I am likely to follow "Time" & this thread for another month, or a year, or until I am unable ... I can bear to be a silent guest no more ... I feel like I've been absorbed by the love & devotion ...

I just want to add to the combining quotes in replies techniques. The control key is your friend. I tend to use control-Quote to open a new reply, and then combine the replies into one. (Closing the un-needed tabs.. Why isn't there a cancel button?) Control-Back is nice too, goes back where you were, but in a new tab. (Everyone else may already know it, but that thought is why I didn't know it for so long, everyone knew that everyone knew, so no one told me, because I surely already knew, only I didn't know. So just in case you also don't know, I'm telling you, because no one else will, because everyone knows that everyone knows.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I just want to add to the combining quotes in replies techniques. The control key is your friend. I tend to use control-Quote to open a new reply, and then combine the replies into one.

Also middle mouse button works in all browsers the same way as ctrl+click.

Edit: Oh and just in case you or anyone else don't know where the middle button is - if your mouse has a scroll wheel then just click the scroll wheel, that's the middle button (maybe some old cheap mouses don't work that way but that's rare, I think). Even after all those years since mouses with scroll wheels were introduced, now and then someone still surprises me by not knowing this function. I guess it's because the same effect you mentioned - everyone knows that so why to tell it to anyone.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sat May 04, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

There's a story submission at Slashdot about Time. I'm not entirely sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing. If enough people go vote the submission up, Time might make the front page of Slashdot. (Not exactly a first for xkcd, mind you.)

Of course, if we make the front page of Slashdot, then we'll really find out how good Randall's servers are.

Edited to add:
AluisioASG wrote:Hmm... how many infinitialists do we have here?

The infinitists / infinitialists are uncountable. Only Finitists can be counted. (If you count Loopists, do you keep getting the same number over and over, or does the count just keep going up?)

Also: I'm not sure whether its lmjb1964's nested [url] and [img] tags or one of the servers that somebody's image is on, but something seems to keep Firefox from ever thinking it's finished loading this newpage. Weird.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sat May 04, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Mini-ketchup this Time, as it is only a post-coma ketchup, not post-coma+work.

StratPlayer wrote:
buffygirl wrote:<snip>
fhorn - added.
Also, fhorn's avatar is fine as it is, thank you very much.

Of course, Your Most Esteemed Habidasheryist! I apologize for presuming to suggest what might be more pleasing in thine own Holy eyes!

I am certain fhorn will be as pleased with the hat you design for him/her/xim/xer/qim/qer/ya'll as I am with the one who so generously bestowed upon my own unworthy naked head!

I find the item on top of your otherwise naked head to be the clearest proof that the rules of the rest of the fora do not apply here:
SecondTalon wrote:Raptors can't wear hats. It are a fact.

moody7277 wrote:
SBN wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Randall is keeping track of which frame is which somehow, that's easier to do by having logical filenames hashed into randomness than by just having randomness and keeping track separately.
Welcome to the OTT. If you haven't been reading all along, you may want to check the wiki: http://xkcd-time.wikia.com/wiki/XKCD_Time_Wiki

The filenames are 64 characters long, and use 0-9 and a-f, which is suggestive of computer wizardry rather than pure randomness.

Random enough for you?

Code: Select all

$ for i in {1..10}; do echo `hexdump -e \"%.8x\" -n32 /dev/random`.png; done
9ec90c2baddeeb6ea7f47ca95e839d904b6957beba13c4fe12fb2bab4b74dbb3.png
f421c925d948f14f4031ce8de356f9316cb521f71b11c4381dac3124529133de.png
92d42091d5aa99798c627496b4d5fe3446e7192fc4efbc8f2b33b0c2eb39b1b2.png
f5e807130b0b121e14ca981c98ba3c741c263c8420225529dd7c534751058101.png
921b0fe539aef604ed6cf7503ea4f300ec3db51d63a3778fc75241d7d648f6d2.png
82864116d862ac9ade2a44b52ea5f6e0f61bd1c8dc2f4653342c19ebe781b1eb.png
fddeb03b15beb3857200f9a54554b63ee92d7fbad0a3a9011716338e52ad5d6e.png
9ddd44e5fbf5a82cbdca4bd2f8c20eb096c3821d81fd739ca06e77818b24931a.png
fbc313597cecb8f0c1815471665910d6078b5823097f3976f4e0385b4f084340.png
be31ba48749d70be0b5a210a6e96d7682b2da3a21c2ef9b460d2dfcd80cdb6d0.png

pelrigg wrote:
Opiboble wrote:
pelrigg wrote:akacat, BlitzGirl, KarMann, marchlight, MobTeeseboose, Opiboble, Pfhorrest, Tatiana and 19 guests

That's it ?!?!?
Posts once every 15 minutes?!?!?
This is actually the quietest I've seen the joint.
Any one for thumb wrestling?

Or, Randall forbid, talking about the Wait?

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 I declare!

I don't think I've heard of this game...

Then why (or even how) did you suggest it?

Vytron wrote:On my quest to the Big Bang Progress:

5103 BC - Mesopotamia, wheel, copper, first cities, animal husbandry, menhirs, beer, maize.

Mesopotamia? Be that not like the outside? Be not the outside go-done?
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Thanks for the comparison with Click and Drag, jjjdavidson! I was wondering about that.

vvn wrote:Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

I suggested that Cueball dug that little hole (maybe a channel toward the shore, which is why we could see it, maybe a hole just above the tide line at the time) to see whether it would fill with water from the rising sea, and it did. He wasn't pooping; he was doing science. Or, as tman2nd said, they could've just been looking at the sea for a long time, in that frame or others. They've been walking next to it for a while; how hard is it to notice it's rising?

Exodies wrote:
Angelastic wrote:.
<snip>
Valarya wrote:And how did she know it was still rising? Did they stop and build a miniature d(y)ike on the way which they could check?
Perhaps that's why Cueball dug that little ditch... to see if the sea would rise and fill it. It did.

If that is the case, then the sea level is higher than the river level.

Hmm, yeah, I guess. So much for that.

I think the comic is going to go on forever, because this is what the first part of a comic going on forever looks like.
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Post -coma mayo¹:

StratPlayer wrote:So I think our 'camera' has now pointed from all 4 cardinal points.

I don't think so.
Assuming that the geography is basically rectangular and that we haven't been “cheated” by a curve or turn that wasn't shown to us, and supposing the sea is to the east, we've had the following camera directions:
  • Looking north (sea on the right): all of the Sandcastle Era; plus the scene where they sat down while walking along the sea
  • Looking west (sea behind us): the first part of the walk, along the sea; plus the scenes at the river while standing still, sitting, or messing around.
  • Looking south (sea on the left, river behind (or under) us): walking along the river.
We haven't looked east, toward the sea, yet.

htom wrote:
vvn wrote:Edit: I never did get a suggestion for how they know the sea is still rising. Any ideas?

Look back down the beach, see more of the castle flooded? If you look closely at the waterline, you can sometimes see it falling, rising is a little harder. Leaves twist away or toward shore. Tiny fish, shrimp, approach the shore, or leave.
(and many, many other responses)

Just wanted to note that it's unlikely they can see the sandcastles (let alone walk to them) in such a short time. Assuming OTC time is linear², they've not just been walking along the sea for over 40 newpix, but also during the 76 newpix of the Fade. (And Inside time appears to have moved faster – as observed through the sea level – as it always appears to do in the OTC when nobody is around.)
I think the most likely explanation is that Megan walked back a little to a point where she remembered that the sea was just about to reach a certain point on the beach (let's say a tree trunk), and saw that it was now under water.

tman2nd wrote:
AluisioASG wrote:Hmm... how many infinitialists do we have here?

Me! I'm one!

Not an infinitalist, but I'm inclined towards indefinitalism.

Exodies wrote:
HarpyRotter wrote:I want to know this. Why has it been assumed that the pix filenames are hashes of anything? In my view, they are simply random strings.

Because the sequence number needs to be retrieved from the name. Could be done by look-up, but that wouldn't be the simplest solution. We have to follow Occam you know.
(and many, many other responses)

That's funny, when I apply Occam's razor I come to the opposite conclusion: just generate a random 256-bit number and keep track of that (database, flat text, whatever; just a couple of lines of code in any decent scripting language), and the most obvious way to put that in a filename/URL is using hex.
If it were somehow a hash of the sequence number, it'd have become a huge mess when frames began to run out of sync, and three frames had to be retired: that'd invalidate all hashes of future newpix.

¹: I'm Dutch.
²: Not a given. It could very well be the case that after the Fade, we jumped to Cuegan just as they left the beach.
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”