1190: "Time"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mscha

Re: 1190: "Time"

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 am UTC

LEGONGGGGGGGG...

-- posted by newpixbot
List¹ of all Frames of Time and after Time.
New here? Questions? Check the wiki.
Don't worry, feed molpies⁴.
Holy Croce
Default footnotes; standard OTT-np2166m 1.2:
Spoiler:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:23 am UTC

Post-coma mayo. Looks like everybody just went to coma, it's eerily quiet here... Even newpixbot got a chance to post, that's been a while.

Looks like the deltaists were right. (Or perhaps the confluencists¹. Or the insulists².) In any case, I was clearly wrong when I thought they were standing still and looking to the right. (It's hard to see with a scale of ~12 pixels/cue.)
ChronosDragon, thanks for the animation, it helped, and even seems to have perfectly predicted up to the current frame at least.

I updated my animation of the delta scene:

Not much else to mention. Sad that I missed all the cake parties.

¹: furkists, actually; they're walking upstream
²: insula = island
Last edited by mscha on Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

FullOfIt

Postby FullOfIt » Sun May 05, 2013 11:35 am UTC

mscha wrote:Animation updated, now the last 5 frames. (Refresh if you only see 3 or 4.)
Spoiler:

The last five Cuegans:

I still don't really “get” it, but it's way past coma time, so maybe there will be more clarity tomorrow.

Hey, mscha, just FYI: That gif, though lovely, is a bit spoilery for ketchupers (since the same image is present in the past). I just noticed while ingesting the last five newpages.

Edit:
Also, fantastic lyrics by StratPlayer. I feel honored (and slightly intimidated) to have been involved in its creation (AFAICS I was the first to put those two words close enough together to make them bond) - though without BlitzGirlz's great illustration it would probably have been forgotten. So yay, BlitzGirl!

Spoiler:
StratPlayer wrote:Whew... Been gone since last night and now I'm like 10 NewPages behind. So even though I said I'd pause on the parodies for a while, what I need to do now makes me think of one which I must do...

So, here's some music as I begin my...

"Ketchup Blitz"
(to the tune of "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet

Are you ready HAL?
(uh-huh)
Buffy?
(yeah)
BlitzGirl?
(okay)
Well, alright Waiters -- let's go!!!

Oh, it's been getting so hard,
Waiting when there's so much more to see, aha
My screen is getting so strange,
I won't remember everything I read

Oh, there's a post with a graph
as a matter of fact, with colors as red as the sun
and before I recover, I come to another --
it blurs into the previous one

Oh yeah, posts come like lightning
Everybody is typing
Plus there's music and and photos
and bad puns and inuendos
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

Oh, I trying to be ketchup'd
But there's nothing I can do
except keep reading over
posts from the past until I am through, aha

Now the post with the graph's
been quoted with a laugh, and everyone seems to try
to newpic on the gong, or post a cool song --
I'll be ten pages behind 'til I die!

Oh yeah, it seems electric
and frantically hectic,
Because the more I keep reading,
Still the future's receding!

And the girl with hats says
"my queue is stacked" and I'm stuck in a ketchup blitz
And the gif that's annoying needs
to have a warning -- it'll wreck your ketchup blitz!

Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz
Ketchup Blitz

It's, it's, a Ketchup Blitz
It's a Ketchup Blitz!!!
Last edited by FullOfIt on Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 05, 2013 11:41 am UTC

ucim wrote:Where I live, the roads are not completely straight, but I modeled them in my head as if they were. For many years, there was an entire quadrant of town that was a complete mystery to me how it could even exist, and how it connected with anything. It was essentially in hyperspace for all intents and purposes, though I traveled through it often. It turns out that the roads curved somewhat, the curve was not taken into account in my mental model, and that opened a rift in the space-time continuum where another chunk of town could be hidden! So, I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

Where I live, I used to leave my neighborhood, turn left onto a main road, and follow it all the way to work, which is on that main road. Now, I turn onto that main road, turn left again, and follow the road the rest of the way to work, which has not moved and is still on that same main road, that passes just outside my neighborhood.
Similarly, I used to cross that main road outside my neighborhood, and follow one road until I reached my destination. Now, taking that same trip requires a right turn, followed by continuing on the same road I was just on.

StratPlayer wrote:Plus, as far as my replies all being humor, I'd postulate that ALL the replies in this thread are humorous at some level. Even the ones that are stone-faced "serious" analysis are humorous to me, simply because they're occuring in a long drawn-out discussion over a web comic, so I find that the analysis gets coated with a certain layer of absurdity, no matter how intellectually stimulating and insightful the content of the post is.

Analysis coated with absurdity is the best!
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 am UTC

Exodies wrote:EDIT to say: stuff your paper plates, /me lays out the best crockery

You clearly haven't seen my paper plates:
Spoiler:

Also, how do I post that image smaller?
Cardinal of the Timewaiters, Keeper of the chickens and Master of the Hutch.

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 11:45 am UTC

FullOfIt wrote:Hey, mscha, just FYI: That gif, though lovely, is a bit spoilery for ketchupers (since the same image is present in the past). I just noticed while ingesting the last five newpages.

Oops... :oops:
Good point. I have reinstated the old one, put the new ones under a new filename/URL, and edited my posts.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Sun May 05, 2013 12:06 pm UTC

astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun May 05, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

Halfway through today's Questing (halfway being a loose term, considering I don't know how many pages will be posted by the time I finish questing, and that blizting is the easy part because less than 20 pages are posted daily; But happy either way, because it's easier to catch up on weekends!) It just means I'm starting treking now!

Page 379/538 - 159 pages behind (like yesterday)

Apr 22, 2013 3:23 am UTC

But, WAIT! I just found out that these UTC times is all lies. Try changing it in your profile, the time changes, but it still says UTC! This means that... all the reported times I've posted have been wrong! I'm actually at Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm UTC!

Ahhh! That's 5 hours off! Oh well, will keep reporting these 5 hours off to over compensate.

12 days, 21 hours, 4 minutes behind (not at the time of this post, but at the time I'm typing this.)

I also found out that I wasn't Pope of page 500 because it's now the last poster in the thread. I don't even know if I've been the last poster ever, or if the rules of papacy changed again (it has been mentioned that BlitzGirl will-had became Pope/Mome/Mope when catching up, but she also mentioned she doesn't like such a title.)

People have gone crazy with the graphs, actually, It's been mostly pages of pages of people discussing how much they've discussed on the thread, and at what rate, per page and per TimeFrame.

It is revealed that cmyk never sleeps, or micro-sleeps a few minutes every hour, because his graphic never quite goes empty.

MILESTONE - I read the first post where BlitzGirl reaches more than one Sign post in one update!

When I was at 320 out of 372 pages (Important: Here BlitzGirl watched the very last of the original frames: 597 - Building of the Rooks, see below). She passed 247 out of 315 pages and 254 out of 320 pages.

She also proves that Randall Who Created All is fake.

Dreams of following are mentioned. I did have one the other day, sadly, it was even more interesting that following the One True Comic, in my dream, a lot of crazy stuff happened, there were being cross-over with past and future comics of Randall, and he was crazy with editing past comics and changing story. All his comics were auto-updating in real time (or something) with characters jumping from comic to comic and what not. It was awesome!

In reality, for all the content I've read of yesterday, and all the content I've seen of today, all that's happened is Megan started working on a Disney Castle replica at the top, and then continued on it, and then seemed to finish it, and then continuing on it.

It's actually much more exciting that I'm about to reach the point BlitzGirl Catches up with the present!

Spoiler:
manvandmaan wrote:
lmjb1964 wrote:I was SO excited when Blitzgirl noticed my sig to her. I can't decide if this is really messed up, or really wonderful.

I too always fangirl when BlitzGirl, or anyone else quotes me!

There you go! :)

BlitzGirl received the title of Greatest Grain on the Beach of Time, Big KnowItAll and also Princess of Persia. And a lot of items. And now I'm confused, I think she's not receiving the titles in my now, but she'll receive them when she catches up with that post, which is an event that has already happened o_O

BlitzGirl reaches 4th most posted noun in the thread in Kieryn's list:

Spoiler:
newpix 990
cueball 683
frames 478
blitzgirl 324
sandcastle 294
temporal 185
castles 182
coma 167
timewaiters 136
sandcastles 116

Which includes must see interactive graphic:

http://jsfiddle.net/fgxda/20/embedded/result/

LANDMARK, I reach my second SignPost (third post on the thread) I was back then in page 160. 214 pages behind, and reading the thread's content of March 30. He posted Apr 20, 2013 8:25 pm UTC (five hours wrong, and every time I post UTC, it'll be five hours wrong.) Also, lol, talking about myself in third person.

tman2nd calls me another BlitzGirl for the first time :)

BlitzGirl catches up with 3 more of her Sign Posts, and my catching with her SignPosts accelerate, her ones do too, I may catch to when she caught up with the present tomorrow!

330 out of 375 pages. 259 out of 324 pages (149 out of 259 pages.) 267 out of 325 pages (173 out of 267 pages). 271 out of 330 pages

Activity reaches new level of sink, with the first TimeFrame ever posted that didn't have any comment about it.

azule is driven insane by the thread and posts colorful post. Now, I wonder, if to follow the One True Comic and the One True Thread one needs to be crazy, does that mean azule has gone back to xeir senses!?

mscha's bot is posting TimeFrames automatically, and there's a lot of discussion about how his bot is decreasing the amount of discussion (gotta love the irony :) )

Important Message from the future:

HAL9000 wrote:Vytron:

Spoiler:
You can do it!

Oh, oh. Should I open it? Well, it's for me so...

Ah! Thank you!

Another BlitzGirl Signpost, this one includes me:

339 out of 376 pages. 275 out of 336 pages (Vytron 120). 281 out of 337 pages (sigcouragement).

>tman2nd> Things are calming down in the present. Keep going Blitzgirl! And you, too Vytron.

BlitzGirl> Ooh, who's Vytron? A fellow wanderer? Take heart, wherever you are in the great thread of Time!

Thanks BlitzGirl! Great to have encouragement reaching me from both my past and present!

HAL9000 also breaks a record: he posts a TimeFrame 12 minutes before it appears on the website!

mscha posts lost TimeFrames, that not even were covered by The Book of Aubron or GeekWagon. Yeah! I had read about them when mscha time traveled back in time so those frames could have been seen when they should have appeared in the comic 8-)

buffygirl starts giving people hats, so I now know how it happened!

I also know why Jafloi has a 42 on his hat (because he asked for a hat in xeir 42nd post!)

Finally Latent22 checks the dates of all Frames, proving that, at the Beginning of Time, Randall had only done the first 597 ones at March 25. 598 to 680 were created March 27. 681 was from April 12, and the rest have been from April 13!

Take that Loopers! This is evidence that the comic can keep going on forever!

Spoiler:
Not evidence that it will not loop, I respect your beliefs!

On my quest to the Big Bang: 25000 years ago. Only a progress of 4000 years, but should be more than 18000 for my next SignPost!... Maybe...

Onward!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

Here's an animation of Cuegan walking along for the past 17 newpix. If you look carefully, you can spot that, in His infinite wisdom, the Lord Randall got lazy one frame and only redrew the background, not Cueball and Megan.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

"Users browsing this forum: katakombe, orthogon, SBN and 18 guests"

wow, where is everybody? now that i'm back in the present nobody is here with me.
:|

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:"Users browsing this forum: katakombe, orthogon, SBN and 18 guests"

wow, where is everybody? now that i'm back in the present nobody is here with me.

I'm here. And so is Google Feedfetcher; it's always the life of the party. Come, have some cake! Image Image
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun May 05, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

*blindposting*
mathrec wrote:A present to slow you down so I can ketchup. No more posting until you solve it!

Saw this while blitzing, had to stop and solve it. nice work :)

TheMinim wrote:I know how to be sigged: create a sig for myself and not care about being quoted. :lol: :lol:

Sigged.
Last edited by patzer on Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

TL;DR: Just skip this, unless you're interested in the intricacies of frame numbering and timing, and apocryphal frames.
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:
jjjdavidson wrote:mscha, now that you're here again,

Again? I'm pretty much here all the time. I'm starting to get worried about me... :?

jjjdavidson wrote: there's something I'd like to ask. I've read over the discussion of the "apocryphal" frames several times, and I keep getting lost in the filenames and the similar-looking images.

I downloaded these five frames (original/apocryphal) in real time:

a0912d58db16574d7defdfeda6f4dbb820986d0e6fb38e793e62f8da5b151d98.png
9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe.png
a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1.png
530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d.png

003169b5a922ecd7a4bc2136743f00771f7575b8fc2be045ddeb25d740724aa7.png

These three frames in your list (added) my capture never saw at all:

89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611.png
715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776.png
6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1.png

All these frames are of Megan building (or napping) upon the middle mound.

Here's what I think I understand:
─The original 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames have been updated on the xkcd servers.
─The updated 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames are identical to the 89fbc..., 715b2..., 6cb83... frames, respectively.

Here's what I might be misunderstanding:
─No other frames are known to match the original 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames.
─Those original frames might be on the servers, but we don't (yet) know file names for them.
─So at the moment, the only known source for those original frames is people like you and me that downloaded them when they first went live, and haven't overwritten them (hence, "apocryphal").
Have I got all this straight?

I think so, yes, basically.

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what I did at the time. My download script follows the time.png redirect, and I saw in the OTT that people were getting other images though the Javascript redirect, so I downloaded these by hand, and after Randall straightened things out, I renamed my files (which use timestamp-based filenames) to be in the seemingly correct order. But I didn't keep track of what I renamed to what, so when I created my frame list last week, I had to reconstruct which hash belonged to which filename based on the posts at the time in the OTT. I might have gotten it the wrong way round, so that the apocryphal frames and 256-258 were swapped.
(...)
Actually, it looks like I got it wrong: when the Lord Randall updated the time stamps of the frames, He skipped the three files that I have listed as 256-258, and did include the ones I have listed as “apocryphal”.
Fixed that, from:

Code: Select all

xkcd_time_20130330_1900.png: 9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe
xkcd_time_20130330_2000.png: a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1
xkcd_time_20130330_2100.png: 530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d
xkcd_time_20130330_2115.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_2130.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_2145.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1
to:

xkcd_time_20130330_1900.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_2000.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_2100.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1
xkcd_time_20130330_2115.png: 9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe
xkcd_time_20130330_2130.png: a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1
xkcd_time_20130330_2145.png: 530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d

But anyway, the Lord Randall, in His infinite wisdom, apparently decided to throw these frames out and continue some point later in His collection. It worked out well, if you now watch the (non-apocryphal) frames in order, you don't spot anything missing.

Edit: changed my “Actually” to reverse the conclusion.
Edit2: fixed the apocryphal hashes after all.

I wasn't really happy with the timestamps in my local copy of the apocryphal and corresponding non-apocryphal frames.
If you ignore apocryphal frames (like a good Randallian should), the frames had the following timestamps:
  • xkcd_time_20130330_1700.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_1800.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_2115.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_2130.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_2145.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_2200.png
  • xkcd_time_20130330_2300.png
So I renamed my copies of the frames to:

xkcd_time_20130330_1815.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_1830.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_1845.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1
xkcd_time_20130330_1900.png: 9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe
xkcd_time_20130330_2000.png: a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1
xkcd_time_20130330_2100.png: 530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d

Now the non-apocryphal frames all have regular timestamps in the filename, while the apocryphal frames are irregular. Much better.
See here for the end result.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

jowo

Postby jowo » Sun May 05, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

Happened to notice that Flickr's blog for the day is about carving sand. Had to share....

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/05/04/extraordinary-sand-sculptures/
It's about Time....

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Here is another statistics... I did some datamining in my database (up to post 20440) and came up with the following:
100 Top Quoters:
Spoiler:
  1. KarMann (613)
  2. BlitzGirl (512)
  3. buffygirl (410)
  4. StratPlayer (410)
  5. HAL9000 (394)
  6. Helper (392)
  7. AionArap (273)
  8. cmyk (257)
  9. SBN (241)
  10. PhoenixRising (236)
  11. mscha (232)
  12. azule (231)
  13. ChronosDragon (219)
  14. bigcrag92 (202)
  15. Exodies (202)
  16. Smithers (199)
  17. lmjb1964 (198)
  18. Latent22 (197)
  19. AluisioASG (197)
  20. tman2nd (190)
  21. Opiboble (187)
  22. Valarya (177)
  23. Caswallon (171)
  24. mojacardave (169)
  25. Dracomax (164)
  26. peewee_RotA (161)
  27. htom (156)
  28. udscbt (146)
  29. jjjdavidson (139)
  30. histrion (135)
  31. kryton (119)
  32. swey (118)
  33. descor (118)
  34. vvn (113)
  35. Kieryn (112)
  36. higgs-boson (110)
  37. edo (109)
  38. SWuh (101)
  39. manvandmaan (100)
  40. patzer (97)
  41. macraw83 (97)
  42. Angelastic (96)
  43. partingLance (86)
  44. bouer (80)
  45. chem1190c (74)
  46. jovialbard (74)
  47. PinkShinyRose (71)
  48. Eternal Density (71)
  49. Wraithlord (69)
  50. Mr Moriaty (69)
  51. Elmach (66)
  52. Jafloi (64)
  53. Shepherdess (63)
  54. Jonas79 (61)
  55. dreiarmumig (59)
  56. Foarm (57)
  57. elementropy (57)
  58. XonqNopp (56)
  59. Lord Cathbad (56)
  60. TheMulattoMaker (55)
  61. Flado (54)
  62. Asthanius (53)
  63. Montov (52)
  64. diego5wh (52)
  65. fhorn (52)
  66. Eliram (51)
  67. blowfishhootie (49)
  68. riverssong (49)
  69. pdg (48)
  70. SecondTalon (46)
  71. RobIrr (45)
  72. k.bookbinder (45)
  73. NoEdge (44)
  74. digimuzik (44)
  75. StormAngel (44)
  76. NoMouse (43)
  77. Flotter (43)
  78. micdi (42)
  79. KroniK907 (42)
  80. beargarden (41)
  81. daef (39)
  82. SWO Crash (38)
  83. Dictator (37)
  84. xspeedballx (37)
  85. fixer (36)
  86. belliott4488 (35)
  87. pelrigg (34)
  88. Purplepants77 (33)
  89. inhalvast (32)
  90. slinches (32)
  91. Magdiragdag (32)
  92. Goggalor (32)
  93. Mycroft_147 (31)
  94. orthogon (31)
  95. lovepirate (31)
  96. ggh (31)
  97. airdrik (31)
  98. rmsgrey (30)
  99. iisjreg (30)
  100. jetpac (30)

and the 100 Top Quoted:
Spoiler:
  1. KarMann (484)
  2. buffygirl (428)
  3. Helper (390)
  4. HAL9000 (382)
  5. StratPlayer (354)
  6. mscha (281)
  7. Latent22 (274)
  8. BlitzGirl (265)
  9. cmyk (249)
  10. ChronosDragon (229)
  11. SBN (219)
  12. tman2nd (190)
  13. AionArap (183)
  14. bigcrag92 (178)
  15. mojacardave (172)
  16. jjjdavidson (170)
  17. Dracomax (169)
  18. Valarya (162)
  19. AluisioASG (159)
  20. Smithers (154)
  21. udscbt (153)
  22. Exodies (153)
  23. Kieryn (151)
  24. azule (151)
  25. Caswallon (143)
  26. lmjb1964 (138)
  27. Opiboble (135)
  28. Angelastic (131)
  29. htom (128)
  30. higgs-boson (128)
  31. patzer (125)
  32. histrion (123)
  33. Mr Moriaty (120)
  34. peewee_RotA (119)
  35. bouer (115)
  36. vvn (105)
  37. kryton (105)
  38. edo (102)
  39. manvandmaan (100)
  40. swey (96)
  41. chem1190c (93)
  42. descor (93)
  43. Eternal Density (91)
  44. jovialbard (82)
  45. fhorn (79)
  46. blowfishhootie (76)
  47. SWuh (76)
  48. PhoenixRising (75)
  49. Jonas79 (75)
  50. boozledorf (75)
  51. Asthanius (75)
  52. RobIrr (72)
  53. Jafloi (72)
  54. macraw83 (64)
  55. Flado (64)
  56. Shepherdess (63)
  57. NoMouse (63)
  58. PinkShinyRose (59)
  59. partingLance (58)
  60. Lord Cathbad (57)
  61. ggh (55)
  62. XonqNopp (55)
  63. riverssong (54)
  64. dreiarmumig (54)
  65. NoEdge (52)
  66. Wraithlord (52)
  67. elementropy (52)
  68. TheMulattoMaker (52)
  69. 123Adz321 (51)
  70. Eliram (51)
  71. Roia (50)
  72. Flotter (50)
  73. Montov (49)
  74. Whizbang (49)
  75. xspeedballx (49)
  76. silent_death (49)
  77. Elmach (49)
  78. pelrigg (49)
  79. Primis (48)
  80. beargarden (47)
  81. spamjam (47)
  82. diego5wh (45)
  83. daef (43)
  84. squonk (43)
  85. Davidy (41)
  86. Goggalor (41)
  87. belliott4488 (40)
  88. Foarm (40)
  89. Grepus (40)
  90. SPACKlick (40)
  91. digimuzik (39)
  92. KroniK907 (39)
  93. davidy22 (39)
  94. k.bookbinder (38)
  95. orthogon (37)
  96. treadman (37)
  97. mybrainhurts (35)
  98. Sciscitor (35)
  99. Bytes (33)
  100. kenmelken (33)

Some remarks on the dataset:
  • Of course it is closely correlated to the top quoters in the OTT.
  • It contains only top quotes, no quoted quotes.
  • If someone of the professionals on here could point me to a visualization tool for Linux that can digest a graph with about 800 nodes and about 9000 weighted edges I would be very grateful (my usual CLI tool, i.e. graphviz, forsaked me for this, it simply took too long even on an eight core, 16GB box). And no sorry: Gephi looks fine but I would like to avoid installing Suns jre and jdk.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun May 05, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Some Ways to Time

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun May 05, 2013 1:12 pm UTC

Time for me to coma and probably dream about Minecraft AgONG

And pre-post ninja'd by someone who didn't bother writing anything. It's slow doing BBCode on my phone!
Spoiler:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

[quote="Eternal Density"]Time for me to coma and probably dream about Minecraft AgONG

And pre-post ninja'd by someone who didn't bother writing anything. It's slow doing BBCode on my phone!
If I hadn't posted it newpixbot would have. And, sometimes the OTC just speaks for itself.

Some Ways to Time

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

mscha wrote:
katakombe wrote:"Users browsing this forum: katakombe, orthogon, SBN and 18 guests"

I'm here. And so is Google Feedfetcher; it's always the life of the party. Come, have some cake! Image Image

thanks for the cake! and yay! i'm not alone :)

and now that i have a spiffy new avatar all i need is my first ong - maybe the next one?

r34ver

Postby r34ver » Sun May 05, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

Ok weird- I'm seeing repeats of (aubron) frame 1089 interleaved with the rivers/delta emerging. I can't see much discussion of this over the past 5 or so pages - so I guess it isn't something everyone is seeing - weird though, that I have the same issue with geekwagon, and that I see this on multiple devices (both iOS and windows).. I'm in Scotland if this is somehow location dependent.

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Time for me to coma and probably dream about Minecraft AgONG

If I hadn't posted it newpixbot would have. And, sometimes the OTC just speaks for itself.

But even then, can't you at least do a SOMETIMESTHEOTCJUSTSPEAKSFORITSELFONG or something? You have to try to be at least as creative as the newpixbot. ;)

r34ver wrote:Ok weird- I'm seeing repeats of (aubron) frame 1089 interleaved with the rivers/delta emerging. I can't see much discussion of this over the past 5 or so pages - so I guess it isn't something everyone is seeing - weird though, that I have the same issue with geekwagon, and that I see this on multiple devices (both iOS and windows).. I'm in Scotland if this is somehow location dependent.

It's been mentioned, but we don't know why, and can't fix it, so there isn't much to discuss. In any case, it's not location dependent.
A complete and correct list of frames, but without a fancy way to view them, can be found here.
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Sun May 05, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

r34ver wrote:Ok weird- I'm seeing repeats of (aubron) frame 1089 interleaved with the rivers/delta emerging. I can't see much discussion of this over the past 5 or so pages - so I guess it isn't something everyone is seeing - weird though, that I have the same issue with geekwagon, and that I see this on multiple devices (both iOS and windows).. I'm in Scotland if this is somehow location dependent.

I'm seeing it too. Not sure how it is happening, but I sort of like it, like it is showing us that they are walking along. I know this list doesn't have that though. I don't fully agree with mscha's explanation of the apocryphal frames either, I don't think they were intended to be thrown away, they just got posted out of order. Not sure if we'll ever know the full truth though.

Some Ways to Time

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun May 05, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

*blindposting*
descor wrote:
Smithers wrote:I think the chart is dividing up the journey era too finely. The fake loop was too short for a period; the mustard period has been removed from Time and therefore never happened.

This is my feeling. I went by the wiki, but it just feels a tad too divided.

Another option would be to reclassify such "periods" as epochs, and have the whole journey until they meet the river as a period. Not all periods would be divided into epochs.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I don't fully agree with mscha's explanation of the apocryphal frames either, I don't think they were intended to be thrown away, they just got posted out of order. Not sure if we'll ever know the full truth though.

We'll never find out, that's for certain. (Unless the Lord Randall speaks to us, perhaps through a burning bush in the OTC?)
But the Lord overwrote the contents of the apocryphal frames with copies of the non-apocryphal frames, which does seem to indicate that they were taken¹ away from us on purpose.

¹: takethd?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

patzer wrote:*blindposting*
descor wrote:
Smithers wrote:I think the chart is dividing up the journey era too finely. The fake loop was too short for a period; the mustard period has been removed from Time and therefore never happened.

This is my feeling. I went by the wiki, but it just feels a tad too divided.

Another option would be to reclassify such "periods" as epochs, and have the whole journey until they meet the river as a period. Not all periods would be divided into epochs.

That's not a bad suggestion, although my OCD wouldn't let me stop at just subdividing the journey period - I'd want to go back and subdivide all the periods and that way madness lies!

Keep on treking Vytron

The future of infinite possibilities, of moments unlived, and of stories untold.
Wait for it.

StratPlayer wrote:In order for this game to cut the mustard, you'll need to cut the mustard.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

MyfirstDONG

ok, not much difference, but i think Megan is looking upstream again, instead of straight at the river1

1 small2
2 or not so small after all

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:now that i have a spiffy new avatar all i need is my first ong - maybe the next one?

katakombe wrote:MyfirstDONG
Spoiler:

Woop woop!

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 2:16 pm UTC

descor wrote:
katakombe wrote:now that i have a spiffy new avatar all i need is my first ong - maybe the next one?

katakombe wrote:MyfirstDONG
Spoiler:

Woop woop!

that's right, i did it *dances around*

time to celebrate, here's some cake y'all!
Spoiler:

edit: fixed the cake
edit: added spoiler tag. it's a tall cake :wink:

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

katakombe wrote:time to celebrate, here's some cake y'all!
Spoiler:

Yummie, thanks!
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
ucim wrote:Where I live, the roads are not completely straight, but I modeled them in my head as if they were. For many years, there was an entire quadrant of town that was a complete mystery to me how it could even exist, and how it connected with anything. It was essentially in hyperspace for all intents and purposes, though I traveled through it often. It turns out that the roads curved somewhat, the curve was not taken into account in my mental model, and that opened a rift in the space-time continuum where another chunk of town could be hidden! So, I would be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there.

Where I live, I used to leave my neighborhood, turn left onto a main road, and follow it all the way to work, which is on that main road. Now, I turn onto that main road, turn left again, and follow the road the rest of the way to work, which has not moved and is still on that same main road, that passes just outside my neighborhood.
Similarly, I used to cross that main road outside my neighborhood, and follow one road until I reached my destination. Now, taking that same trip requires a right turn, followed by continuing on the same road I was just on.

That's one of the reasons I don't like those grid-based cities. You don't get to see much of the city you live in. And it's less fun, you don't have those hidden dead-ends to discover.
My bus must turn 16 times from my house to my work place. It's probably less efficient, but the trip isn't one long straight line and I like it.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Bad Hair Man

Re: 1190: "Things that be on my side for 600, Alex!"

Postby Bad Hair Man » Sun May 05, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

Brain droppings from the past. I be up to page 155 of the Things that be on my side for 600, Alex! needle-pulled thing.

TJMaster wrote:
buffygirl wrote:How do you pronounce trebuchet?
-- I say tree-bucket. I do.

Tray- bew- shet- ay

Pronunciation guide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZVBTtX92Nc
HAL9000 wrote:The Passover bunny walks on water! So he be an representation of Horus!

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

mscha wrote:TL;DR: Just skip this, unless you're interested in the intricacies of frame numbering and timing, and apocryphal frames.
Spoiler:
mscha wrote:

Again? I'm pretty much here all the time. I'm starting to get worried about me... :?

jjjdavidson wrote: there's something I'd like to ask. I've read over the discussion of the "apocryphal" frames several times, and I keep getting lost in the filenames and the similar-looking images.

─The original 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames have been updated on the xkcd servers.
─The updated 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames are identical to the 89fbc..., 715b2..., 6cb83... frames, respectively.

─No other frames are known to match the original 9ca75..., a6c1a..., 530ef... frames.
─Those original frames might be on the servers, but we don't (yet) know file names for them.
─So at the moment, the only known source for those original frames is people like you and me that downloaded them when they first went live, and haven't overwritten them (hence, "apocryphal").

To be honest, I don't remember exactly what I did at the time. My download script follows the time.png redirect, and I saw in the OTT that people were getting other images though the Javascript redirect, so I downloaded these by hand, and after Randall straightened things out, I renamed my files (which use timestamp-based filenames) to be in the seemingly correct order. But I didn't keep track of what I renamed to what, so when I created my frame list last week, I had to reconstruct which hash belonged to which filename based on the posts at the time in the OTT. I might have gotten it the wrong way round, so that the apocryphal frames and 256-258 were swapped.
(...)
Actually, it looks like I got it wrong: when the Lord Randall updated the time stamps of the frames, He skipped the three files that I have listed as 256-258, and did include the ones I have listed as “apocryphal”.
Fixed that, from:

xkcd_time_20130330_2115.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_2130.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_2145.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1
to:

xkcd_time_20130330_1900.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_2000.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_2100.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1
xkcd_time_20130330_2115.png: 9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe
xkcd_time_20130330_2130.png: a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1
xkcd_time_20130330_2145.png: 530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d

But anyway, the Lord Randall, in His infinite wisdom, apparently decided to throw these frames out and continue some point later in His collection. It worked out well, if you now watch the (non-apocryphal) frames in order, you don't spot anything missing.

I wasn't really happy with the timestamps in my local copy of the apocryphal and corresponding non-apocryphal frames.
If you ignore apocryphal frames (like a good Randallian should), the frames had the following timestamps:

xkcd_time_20130330_1815.png: 89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611
xkcd_time_20130330_1830.png: 715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776
xkcd_time_20130330_1845.png: 6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1

Now the non-apocryphal frames all have regular timestamps in the filename, while the apocryphal frames are irregular. Much better.

I'm afraid my original post may only have brought on more confusion.

On your list, the 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... frames now show the same image for your original download and for the current server link. I don't have first-release copies of the 89fbc... / 715b2... / 6cb83... frames, so I can't say whether they've changed or not.

But, for me, 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... are the three frames that have definitely changed since I originally downloaded them. The first-release versions show Megan build the mound a bit higher. The updated versions (like 89fbc... / 715b2... / 6cb83...) show her leveling off the "bed" and lying down; none of my downloaded files show that.

And I'm still not clear on one other thing. Do the first-release versions of 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... match any other frames in the list, or are they really gone (for now) from the servers?

katakombe wrote:
Spoiler:
descor wrote:

katakombe wrote:MyfirstDONGImage

Woop woop!
that's right, i did it *dances around*

time to celebrate, here's some cake y'all!

Spoiler:

Congrats! (Although those guys in the boat are in for a world of hurt...)
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Smithers

Postby Smithers » Sun May 05, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

Post-coma, finished my catching in the direction of up.
Sciscitor wrote:Here is another statistics... I did some datamining in my database (up to post 20440) and came up with the following:
100 Top Quoters:
Spoiler:
  1. KarMann (613)
  2. BlitzGirl (512)
  3. buffygirl (410)
  4. StratPlayer (410)
  5. HAL9000 (394)
  6. Helper (392)
  7. AionArap (273)
  8. cmyk (257)
  9. SBN (241)
  10. PhoenixRising (236)
  11. mscha (232)
  12. azule (231)
  13. ChronosDragon (219)
  14. bigcrag92 (202)
  15. Exodies (202)
  16. Smithers (199)
  17. lmjb1964 (198)
  18. Latent22 (197)
  19. AluisioASG (197)
  20. tman2nd (190)
  21. Opiboble (187)
  22. Valarya (177)
  23. Caswallon (171)
  24. mojacardave (169)
  25. Dracomax (164)
  26. peewee_RotA (161)
  27. htom (156)
  28. udscbt (146)
  29. jjjdavidson (139)
  30. histrion (135)
  31. kryton (119)
  32. swey (118)
  33. descor (118)
  34. vvn (113)
  35. Kieryn (112)
  36. higgs-boson (110)
  37. edo (109)
  38. SWuh (101)
  39. manvandmaan (100)
  40. patzer (97)
  41. macraw83 (97)
  42. Angelastic (96)
  43. partingLance (86)
  44. bouer (80)
  45. chem1190c (74)
  46. jovialbard (74)
  47. PinkShinyRose (71)
  48. Eternal Density (71)
  49. Wraithlord (69)
  50. Mr Moriaty (69)
  51. Elmach (66)
  52. Jafloi (64)
  53. Shepherdess (63)
  54. Jonas79 (61)
  55. dreiarmumig (59)
  56. Foarm (57)
  57. elementropy (57)
  58. XonqNopp (56)
  59. Lord Cathbad (56)
  60. TheMulattoMaker (55)
  61. Flado (54)
  62. Asthanius (53)
  63. Montov (52)
  64. diego5wh (52)
  65. fhorn (52)
  66. Eliram (51)
  67. blowfishhootie (49)
  68. riverssong (49)
  69. pdg (48)
  70. SexyTalon (46)
  71. RobIrr (45)
  72. k.bookbinder (45)
  73. NoEdge (44)
  74. digimuzik (44)
  75. StormAngel (44)
  76. NoMouse (43)
  77. Flotter (43)
  78. micdi (42)
  79. KroniK907 (42)
  80. beargarden (41)
  81. daef (39)
  82. SWO Crash (38)
  83. Dictator (37)
  84. xspeedballx (37)
  85. fixer (36)
  86. belliott4488 (35)
  87. pelrigg (34)
  88. Purplepants77 (33)
  89. inhalvast (32)
  90. slinches (32)
  91. Magdiragdag (32)
  92. Goggalor (32)
  93. Mycroft_147 (31)
  94. orthogon (31)
  95. lovepirate (31)
  96. ggh (31)
  97. airdrik (31)
  98. rmsgrey (30)
  99. iisjreg (30)
  100. jetpac (30)

If the numbers in brackets after each name are meant to be the number of posts by the user, then something is amiss. You have me down for 199 posts but my forum profile only says 172 (it will say 173 after this post, 175 if you count othertopics). In fact, I would expect your number to be lower than the real count as you lag behind for the catching of moderated posts.

Also, I find ChronosDragon's
Newpix-O-Meter
interesting, as while vinegaring, I can compare it to my PC's clock and see how long it has taken me to read the current page to this point.
Lord Randall, Creator of the One True Comic wrote:Wait for it.

Helper wrote:The great thing about this needle-pulled thing be that it tin turn ænig everyday situation into an hilarious nightmare:
Helper goeth to Starbux:
"ic'd like an coffee, please. Hold the baby!"
"hwæt? eow be, like, weird."
"Y-Y-You too.FULL STOPFULL STOP"

descor

Postby descor » Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Smithers wrote:Post-coma, finished my catching in the direction of up.
Sciscitor wrote:Here is another statistics... I did some datamining in my database (up to post 20440) and came up with the following:
100 Top Quoters:
Spoiler:
  1. KarMann (613)
  2. BlitzGirl (512)
  3. buffygirl (410)
  4. StratPlayer (410)
  5. HAL9000 (394)
  6. Helper (392)
  7. AionArap (273)
  8. cmyk (257)
  9. SBN (241)
  10. PhoenixRising (236)
  11. mscha (232)
  12. azule (231)
  13. ChronosDragon (219)
  14. bigcrag92 (202)
  15. Exodies (202)
  16. Smithers (199)
  17. lmjb1964 (198)
  18. Latent22 (197)
  19. AluisioASG (197)
  20. tman2nd (190)
  21. Opiboble (187)
  22. Valarya (177)
  23. Caswallon (171)
  24. mojacardave (169)
  25. Dracomax (164)
  26. peewee_RotA (161)
  27. htom (156)
  28. udscbt (146)
  29. jjjdavidson (139)
  30. histrion (135)
  31. kryton (119)
  32. swey (118)
  33. descor (118)
  34. vvn (113)
  35. Kieryn (112)
  36. higgs-boson (110)
  37. edo (109)
  38. SWuh (101)
  39. manvandmaan (100)
  40. patzer (97)
  41. macraw83 (97)
  42. Angelastic (96)
  43. partingLance (86)
  44. bouer (80)
  45. chem1190c (74)
  46. jovialbard (74)
  47. PinkShinyRose (71)
  48. Eternal Density (71)
  49. Wraithlord (69)
  50. Mr Moriaty (69)
  51. Elmach (66)
  52. Jafloi (64)
  53. Shepherdess (63)
  54. Jonas79 (61)
  55. dreiarmumig (59)
  56. Foarm (57)
  57. elementropy (57)
  58. XonqNopp (56)
  59. Lord Cathbad (56)
  60. TheMulattoMaker (55)
  61. Flado (54)
  62. Asthanius (53)
  63. Montov (52)
  64. diego5wh (52)
  65. fhorn (52)
  66. Eliram (51)
  67. blowfishhootie (49)
  68. riverssong (49)
  69. pdg (48)
  70. SexyTalon (46)
  71. RobIrr (45)
  72. k.bookbinder (45)
  73. NoEdge (44)
  74. digimuzik (44)
  75. StormAngel (44)
  76. NoMouse (43)
  77. Flotter (43)
  78. micdi (42)
  79. KroniK907 (42)
  80. beargarden (41)
  81. daef (39)
  82. SWO Crash (38)
  83. Dictator (37)
  84. xspeedballx (37)
  85. fixer (36)
  86. belliott4488 (35)
  87. pelrigg (34)
  88. Purplepants77 (33)
  89. inhalvast (32)
  90. slinches (32)
  91. Magdiragdag (32)
  92. Goggalor (32)
  93. Mycroft_147 (31)
  94. orthogon (31)
  95. lovepirate (31)
  96. ggh (31)
  97. airdrik (31)
  98. rmsgrey (30)
  99. iisjreg (30)
  100. jetpac (30)

If the numbers in brackets after each name are meant to be the number of posts by the user, then something is amiss. You have me down for 199 posts but my forum profile only says 172 (it will say 173 after this post, 175 if you count othertopics). In fact, I would expect your number to be lower than the real count as you lag behind for the catching of moderated posts

I think it means the number of people you have quoted - so if you put more than one quote in a post it will count all the quotes.

Keep on treking Vytron

Wait for it.

jjjdavidson
Location: Outside: The Ozarks, North America ─ OTTside: Lost in the 1400s

Postby jjjdavidson » Sun May 05, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

mscha wrote:

It's been mentioned, but we don't know why, and can't fix it, so there isn't much to discuss. In any case, it's not location dependent.
A complete and correct list of frames, but without a fancy way to view them, can be found here.

There's apparently a server somewhere that keeps serving the same image over and over. My capture script (which checks every 10 minutes) has gotten about 50 copies of frame f8a64...png since it first appeared yesterday, randomly intermingled with the correct frames.

I'm changing my script to check more often until the server is fixed; one hour I got one copy of the correct frame and 5 of f8a64...png. (Although, if this depends on server load, I may only be making things worse.)

ETA: Warning - nerd stuff. Okay, it's not the image server itself, it's the server that does the redirect from time.png. When you request http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/time.png you get connected to c.xkcd.com, at one of several different servers in the 107.6.97.xxx range. And if c.xkcd.com happens to resolve to 107.6.97.102, it always redirects you to f8a64...png.
Last edited by jjjdavidson on Sun May 05, 2013 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry. Feed squirpys.
Don't wait for me.
My OTC/OTT graphsMay include spoilers!
Helpful links: Time Wiki FAQrot-13 / Morse decoders
He won! He won! He won!
Knight Temporal. :) Ex-Loopist. :(

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Sun May 05, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

Halfway though my trek (disclaimer: again, chances are I'm around 47.61% of it, but the point is my distance from the Present decreases at a constant rate.)

389/538 - 149 pages behind. Apr 23, 2013 6:23 am 12 days, 2 hours 55 minutes behind

Whoa! Just when I was complaining that nothing was happening, and as despair was about to get the better off me (about the One True Comic; the thread remains amazing) something awesome happened...

A third character appears! And not only that, it just looks like BlitzGirl!

I don't care what the unbelievers say! To me, Randall read the thread and decided to gift us with the Best. Cameo. In. Time. History.

Seeing BlitzGirl in the comic itself was something I did never expect! :D - So glad I never watched these frames until now, I'd have missed it all!

Latent22 names the character LaPetite - And NOW RobIrr's signature makes SO much sense!

Also

Spoiler:

The cake isn't a lie! It just arrived 21 pages late, but still delicious!

The quest for Randall changes continues, Latent22 gives us this graph:

Spoiler:

And then, proof that there has been in-universe time traveling in the One True Comic!

Spoiler:
The image that originally appeared on the website:

That changed to this one 15 hours later!:

Next BlitzGirl SignPost: 342 out of 383 pages. 289 out of 341 pages.

She posts this image:

Spoiler:

Yeah! Does the Comic have an official song yet? The Song Of Time sounds appropriate!

I reach kryton's Rest Stop Imperpetuate. I read the post as slow as possible, it really feels like an oasis in the middle of madness (or more like, madness inside madness). I can finally take a short break from blitzgirling, and relax for a bit before continuing my quest frenetically.

Thanks for the towel!

Next BlitzGirl SignPost: 346 out of 384 pages. 293 out of 346 pages (Whistle of Temporal Harmony).

People talk about they do quotes. Well, I just used to type the quote codes by itself.

I read Haiku. And markov chains by thirds. These are priceless!

Spoiler:
Cueball is just Randall trying to replace an closing ( be probably ICON

Newpix to longpix . Looks like Cueball is a symbol of female power - So back into the future as - hell assumptions .

Randall and the Donner of voices proclaim her . squonk wrote : IT IS WATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Correction it is a person who wants ice cream

;-D

Then, I reach the first xkcdsw of the thread:

Spoiler:

Factoid: xkcdsws are the reason I joined the forum, back in 2009, I used to make xkcdsws (which, AFAIK, were post attachments, and now lost to time. Or... somewhere in my harddrive.)

Content worth replay:

Spoiler:
ImageImage

Finally, jjjdavidson posts Wikipedia article of Sigcouragement 8-)

^Oh, so many links! That's actually the first post from this thread that enters my Bookmarks, to click later.

Progress to the Big Bang: 44,000 Years ago. Humans colonize colder areas, tools spread into Europe, Cro-Magnon, people in Australia. 19000 years of progress, I was right!

Onwards!
Go! Go! You can do it username5243!
Cheers Marsh'n!

THANKS KARHELL!! :)

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

walking onG

ergman

Postby ergman » Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

DIDIDOTHISRIGHTIGUESSWILLSEEOGONG

edit: right, but not fast enough.

I have a feeling that their old river might join up with this one, possibly with them stuck in the middle
I made my avatar, Buffygirl hatted it, Yappo smileyed it and ggh taroted it!
I've changed, witnessing this thing so beautiful

Good luck on blitzing, katakissa, username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, and quantized ! Keep the signposts coming, we love em in the now!

mscha

Postby mscha » Sun May 05, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Still TL;DR: Just skip this, unless you're interested in the intricacies of frame numbering and timing, and apocryphal frames.
Spoiler:
jjjdavidson wrote:
mscha wrote:TL;DR: Just skip this, unless you're interested in the intricacies of frame numbering and timing, and apocryphal frames.
mscha wrote:

(...)
Fixed that, from:

to:

I'm afraid my original post may only have brought on more confusion.

On your list, the 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... frames now show the same image for your original download and for the current server link. I don't have first-release copies of the 89fbc... / 715b2... / 6cb83... frames, so I can't say whether they've changed or not.

But, for me, 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... are the three frames that have definitely changed since I originally downloaded them. The first-release versions show Megan build the mound a bit higher. The updated versions (like 89fbc... / 715b2... / 6cb83...) show her leveling off the "bed" and lying down; none of my downloaded files show that.

Okay, since you're sure about the frames that have changed, and I'm not, I have undone my first change above and swapped the ‘hashes’ around again. (See here, as usual.) Now, the frames I list as “apocryphal” are the ones that definitely have changed.
It's funny, though, that the Lord Randall apparently does consider these frames “canonical”, and the ones we now have as canonical, as “apocryphal”. The reason I think this, is the PNG timestamps of the files (currently on the server):

xkcd_time_20130330_1815.png (9ca751515dfcf0f124e0d4c3b6b55efa1e80eff73116d9a8784f2594991ebdfe) - C:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00, M:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00
xkcd_time_20130330_1830.png (a6c1afdfc9ef6d0479d839e2929771feed170588a10902fde15f8471c61a86d1) - C:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00, M:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00
xkcd_time_20130330_1845.png (530efe35c4725e88ada29e4f75d1f815917cb1b02db69d2f13d0b3853c44860d) - C:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00, M:2013-05-01T15:11:05-04:00
xkcd_time_20130330_1900.png (89fbcd5accd704c98f0e79b4adee58c7490cca4e53a508ceb050a78ceffd2611) - C:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00, M:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00
xkcd_time_20130330_2000.png (715b2c1e6aee87798ff01c8d6d6f8194dc18f06e7db1c7decf774cb45c8ff776) - C:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00, M:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00
xkcd_time_20130330_2100.png (6cb836b5c06e3d46335ab0f757ee62fdc76331f49f101c382c8f48bf479365b1) - C:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00, M:2013-03-30T09:26:52-04:00

So, when Randall does a mass update of all frames, He includes the first three (that were changed), but not the last three (that weren't). Oh well, I guess the Lord Randall moves in mysterious ways, as usual.

jjjdavidson wrote:And I'm still not clear on one other thing. Do the first-release versions of 9ca75... / a6c1a... / 530ef... match any other frames in the list, or are they really gone (for now) from the servers?

As far as I know, my list contains all hash URLs that were ever given¹ to us by the Lord Randall, and none of those match the apocryphal frames. So, it looks like He took² them away for good.

¹: givethd?
²: takethd?
Holy Croce
Spoiler:

Sciscitor

Postby Sciscitor » Sun May 05, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

descor wrote:
Smithers wrote:Post-coma, finished my catching in the direction of up.
100 Top Quoters:
[snip]

If the numbers in brackets after each name are meant to be the number of posts by the user, then something is amiss. You have me down for 199 posts but my forum profile only says 172 (it will say 173 after this post, 175 if you count othertopics). In fact, I would expect your number to be lower than the real count as you lag behind for the catching of moderated posts

I think it means the number of people you have quoted - so if you put more than one quote in a post it will count all the quotes.

What descor said.
TFDA Senior OTT Analyst (Resources, The Database of OTC and OTT Related Art)
To all Blitzers (Maugrim, micdi, Purplepants77 et al): Have fun and enjoy your journey!
Holmes, Sherlock wrote:"It's elementary, my dear Watson!"1
1 Holmes actually never said this.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”